PDA

View Full Version : Your winter knife placement

Glenn E. Meyer
12-19-2019, 04:13 PM
I was spoiled so to speak by living in a climate where my pants pocket or belt were easily accessible. A Delica or 2 were EDC in pockets. Now I live in winter (as I used to). It was 11 this morning. Pants and belt knives disappear under my heavy gear. There are lots of articles on winter guns. Ideas on winter knives?

Guerrero
12-19-2019, 05:11 PM
That's a tough one, to which I don't have a good answer. In winter, I usually wear a longer coat to keep my butt warm(-er) which usually makes any kind of weapon access more difficult. So, also interested in replies.

Blades
12-19-2019, 05:16 PM
I'll carry a folder in my outside coat pocket, loose. I keep my hands in my pockets when it's cold so it works. If you have a inside chest pocket on your coat you can clip s folder there but deployment is slooow.

Clusterfrack
12-19-2019, 05:20 PM
ZT Emerson folder in my strong side pocket. Clinch Pick at 11:00 works well for heavy jackets.

BillSWPA
12-19-2019, 05:51 PM
Normally I wear waist length jackets so access to pockets is easy. However, I sometimes carry a Bud Nealy Pesh Kabz with the sheath clipped to an inside jacket pocket when wearing a suit and overcoat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Warped Mindless
12-19-2019, 06:00 PM
Either a clinch pick in its normal place, a Hideaway Knife inside my left pocket, or a SOCP dagger in my pants pocket.

Navin Johnson
12-19-2019, 08:02 PM
Neck knife outside all tucked garments. Like drawing AIWB just go under all hanging clothes. Folder or fixed blade. Bigger issue is opening folder with gloves. Hint: two hands. Elevated Spyder hole like a Delica can be pinched and pulled with gloved off hand.

Totem Polar
12-19-2019, 09:13 PM
I’m kind of a knife guy, so I have a number of different combos. Of late, it’s a reground China pick in a Cecil/JM sheath, standard CP placement, and a Ban Tang Pikal in a dedicated front pants pocket sheath, strongside. My lighter weight jacket has a Krudo flipper in one pocket and $34 surefire in the other. Now that it’s snowed a bit, I’ll probably move the Krudo and 6P to a warmer coat. Winter sucks.

ETA:

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0345/2757/products/image_9b8083ab-ca93-444b-b2d1-fbe9076ecb8d_grande.jpg?v=1571438712

And

runcible
12-20-2019, 12:29 PM
I very much enjoy and prefer inverted and angled carry of a knife descending below the support-side AIWB position: clinch pick style.

It plays well with my anatomy and the crowded nature of my belt, is accessible beneath any upper-body garment that I've put on it, and carrying there opens up more space above the belt for other workplace requirements.

It doesn't hurt that it's a very difficult draw to foul for the uninitiated.

Totem Polar
12-20-2019, 12:38 PM

Hell, it’s hard to foul even for accomplished fighters who know it’s there, for that matter.

runcible
12-20-2019, 01:18 PM
Hell, it’s hard to foul even for accomplished fighters who know it’s there, for that matter.

Oof, you're not wrong. Having been fortunate enough to watch a range of folks experiment with it standing, grounded, and in confined spaces; the only detriment to it that I've found is in the length requirement of one's top.

I can't recall the class for the life of me, but two studs drilling together ended up with four-hands\one-knife, with the trainer still in the sheath; and the tie-breaker was the one with the knife level-changing the knife right out and then stepping into a hip-assisted drive - all of that in less than 3" of travel.

JohnO
12-20-2019, 01:55 PM
Always the same no matter the season or weather. Either a Watson Magni on the belt Appendix support side. Or a AMTAC Northman in the front support side pocket. I quit carrying broken (folding) knives a few years ago.

Andy in NH
12-20-2019, 02:00 PM
Clinch Pick at 11:00 works well for heavy jackets.
Same for me, but hoodies are my go to winter clothing.

Totem Polar
12-20-2019, 02:32 PM
Same for me, but hoodies are my go to winter clothing.

In NH? You must have some bionic hoodies. Any cold weather favorites?

Andy in NH
12-20-2019, 03:19 PM
Any cold weather favorites?
Just the run of the mill hoodie from a thrift store.
I have ones that are regular sized for me and then others that are one size larger.
The extra sized ones go over the regular sized ones when extra insulation is needed.
IME, wearing two hoodies the same size compresses the insulating space too much and also restricts movement.
I will say that the hoodies are just used around the yard for chores and in town for errands.
If I'm going out in the woods, then I'll wear more appropriate clothing to stay warm and dry.

Shoresy
12-20-2019, 03:25 PM

I'm not Andy and not in NH, but have spent quite a bit of time in colder climates - I have two that fit the bill. Both are less "sweatshirt" hoodie and much more "Carhartt/Duluth outerwear". One is Cabelas brand and looking at the site, no longer produced. The other is basically this (https://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/80658?page=katahdin-iron-works-heavyweight-hooded-sweatshirt-traditional-fit&bc=12-26-516601-907&feat=907-GN3&csp=f) (mine is several years old, might not be identical, but functionally similar).

FWIW, I frequently layer a standard sweatshirt hoodie with a hardshell outer. It gives good flexibility for temp swings (especially if a day starts cold and warms up by afternoon, or if the duration spent outside changes... sweatshirt may be enough for walking into/out of the gym, but may not be enough for extended periods outside). This does introduce another layer to clear if drawing something off the beltline (doesn't really affect objects - like knives - in pockets).

Cypher
12-20-2019, 05:58 PM
I’m kind of a knife guy, so I have a number of different combos. Of late, it’s a reground China pick in a Cecil/JM sheath, standard CP placement, and a Ban Tang Pikal in a dedicated front pants pocket sheath, strongside. My lighter weight jacket has a Krudo flipper in one pocket and $34 surefire in the other. Now that it’s snowed a bit, I’ll probably move the Krudo and 6P to a warmer coat. Winter sucks.

ETA:

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0345/2757/products/image_9b8083ab-ca93-444b-b2d1-fbe9076ecb8d_grande.jpg?v=1571438712

And

What is that bottom knife please.

Cypher
12-20-2019, 06:04 PM

Not in NH either but I prefer to layer up and wear a light outer coat so I don't have to work around getting to my weapon under a parka. I wear the Army Gen 3 ECWCS under my outer fleece.

ETA link

https://www.fox21news.com/weather/colorado-claims-lowest-temperature-in-lower-48-for-second-time-this-week/

runcible
12-20-2019, 06:14 PM

For the intrepid buyer, everything listed by (not abbreviating that username...):

Shivworks Clinch Pick https://shivworkspg.com/product/shivworks-clinch-pick/
JM Custom made Clinch Pick Sheath https://www.jmcustomkydex.com/p/CT-ClinchPick-Sheath.html
Ban Tang SAF (Pikal) https://empireoutfitter.com/products/ban-tang-s35vn-saf-pre-order-free-shipping
Krudo Mozaik https://www.krudoknives.com/product/mozaik-folder/

Blades
12-20-2019, 06:46 PM
I very much enjoy and prefer inverted and angled carry of a knife descending below the support-side AIWB position: clinch pick style.

It plays well with my anatomy and the crowded nature of my belt, is accessible beneath any upper-body garment that I've put on it, and carrying there opens up more space above the belt for other workplace requirements.

A picture would help my old brain. :confused: I think I know, and I may try it with my fixed blade.

runcible
12-20-2019, 06:51 PM

Specifically what's to the side of his belt buckle (leftwards, as worn; rightwards, as seen).

runcible
12-20-2019, 06:56 PM

Or^

Totem Polar
12-20-2019, 07:18 PM
For the intrepid buyer, everything listed by (not abbreviating that username...):

Shivworks Clinch Pick https://shivworkspg.com/product/shivworks-clinch-pick/
JM Custom made Clinch Pick Sheath https://www.jmcustomkydex.com/p/CT-ClinchPick-Sheath.html
Ban Tang SAF (Pikal) https://empireoutfitter.com/products/ban-tang-s35vn-saf-pre-order-free-shipping
Krudo Mozaik https://www.krudoknives.com/product/mozaik-folder/

Damn, dude, you’re like a sharps savant. Excellent work.
:)

blues
12-20-2019, 08:14 PM

Specifically what's to the side of his belt buckle (leftwards, as worn; rightwards, as seen).

That must've been taken when SouthNarc guest starred on "Letterkenny":

https://m.media-amazon.com/images/M/MV5BYTNjYThmNmUtNjZjMC00NThmLWIxN2ItM2RiNDgxYjQ4Mm FiXkEyXkFqcGdeQXRodW1ibmFpbC1pbml0aWFsaXplcg@@._V1 _UX477_CR0,0,477,268_AL_.jpg

"Is that what you appreciate about me, Craig?"

deflave
02-07-2020, 08:48 PM
I was spoiled so to speak by living in a climate where my pants pocket or belt were easily accessible. A Delica or 2 were EDC in pockets. Now I live in winter (as I used to). It was 11 this morning. Pants and belt knives disappear under my heavy gear. There are lots of articles on winter guns. Ideas on winter knives?

Dress in layers and your winter apparel won't look too far off from your fall and spring apparel.

If it's truly cold you'll be wearing Carhartt's or similar. In which case everything you'd normally carry gets moved to the outermost layer.

Cheap Shot
02-07-2020, 10:52 PM
Right hand pocket of North face down jacket.

Jakus
02-08-2020, 12:37 AM
Dress in layers and your winter apparel won't look too far off from your fall and spring apparel.

If it's truly cold you'll be wearing Carhartt's or similar. In which case everything you'd normally carry gets moved to the outermost layer.

I also recently moved to a colder climate as well and this is definitely the right answer. I would also add that using a mid or heavy weight merino wool base layer makes it very possible to keep comfortable in Duluth pants and a flannel shirt with a jacket as needed. Also consider a shirt jac or a coat with snap closures instead of zipper to have the ability to leave the lower snaps loose for ready access to your waist. I spend a fair amount of time in insulated bibs moving firewood for our wood stove. Most bibs have a chest pouch that could accommodate a knife, but I have been considering getting a pocket sheath to use with one of my small fixed blades on the coldest of days when full outerwear is required.

Mike C
02-08-2020, 09:22 AM
runcible or SouthNarc

Is this the sheath, mag pouch and knife worn rearward of the CP in the below photo of SN? Can I have some specifics on it? Curious about who makes the magpouch/knife combo, if it's only available for the Delica or para military and if it can be worn with the knife at a rearward or forward facing downward angle. It looks as though it might in the the photo but I can't tell exactly. Thanks.

SouthNarc
02-08-2020, 10:27 AM
runcible or SouthNarc

Is this the sheath, mag pouch and knife worn rearward of the CP in the below photo of SN? Can I have some specifics on it? Curious about who makes the magpouch/knife combo, if it's only available for the Delica or para military and if it can be worn with the knife at a rearward or forward facing downward angle. It looks as though it might in the the photo but I can't tell exactly. Thanks.

That's just a standard CP with a JM Sheath and a CCC mag pouch behind it.

Mike C
02-08-2020, 10:44 AM
That's just a standard CP with a JM Sheath and a CCC mag pouch behind it.

Thank you. Not sure if you had found something like runcible showed above. The concept looks rather interesting.

SLUZENE
02-10-2020, 03:57 AM
About -20F to 120F where I lived. 11F is cold. Cold enough for me that any gloves to use long term in that temperature cannot be used with a pistol or to generally deploy a folding knife.

Clinch Pick (china pick) at 11:00 in a modified factory sheath (the dark star gear soft loop one is cool, but i'm happy with my factory modified, even after EWO)
Spyderco factory waved Delica clipped on the hip pocket. Clipped knives are extremely common where I live, but Chris Fry does have a point about advertising with a clipped knife.

When you are bent at the hips a knife on a RCS/fry pocket shield is certainly harder to access that a clipped folder, but i assume the belt knife helps become an alternative in that case. YMMV/situational dependent.

Generally when I'm outside in normal life I'm wearing shooting style gloves with my hands in my pockets. It keeps my hands a little warmer than just bare hands in pockets and things like metal railings do not suck the heat out of them as easily when wearing gloves. The warmer your hands are when you start whatever, they longer they will stay dexterous of course.

runcible
02-10-2020, 04:55 AM
Thank you. Not sure if you had found something like runcible showed above. The concept looks rather interesting.

Mike C,

It’s a house-brand one-off, albeit of a design that will probably eventually enter limited production for CPs. I have an organizational requirement as to the number of spare magazines on my person and the use/carry of a Spyderco Rescue 79mm, and that’s my way of both addressing the requirements and maximizing accessibility.

It’s composed of a kydex fold-over sheathe with a flat-folding soft pouch attached behind it with spacers so that both components straddle the pants-waistband. Combination sheath/mag-pouches usually have the knife trying to orient one way and the magazine trying to orient another way: this allows for each to maintain its own preferred alignment, and for their to be no penalty when I’m running light/sans-magazine.

I wouldn’t be comfortable making the sheath with the edge facing the inner thigh, given the realities of seated access.

I’ll try and snag a picture before I hit the road.

runcible
02-10-2020, 06:27 AM
here...

deflave
02-10-2020, 07:42 AM
About -20F to 120F where I lived. 11F is cold. Cold enough for me that any gloves to use long term in that temperature cannot be used with a pistol or to generally deploy a folding knife.

Clinch Pick (china pick) at 11:00 in a modified factory sheath (the dark star gear soft loop one is cool, but i'm happy with my factory modified, even after EWO)
Spyderco factory waved Delica clipped on the hip pocket. Clipped knives are extremely common where I live, but Chris Fry does have a point about advertising with a clipped knife.

When you are bent at the hips a knife on a RCS/fry pocket shield is certainly harder to access that a clipped folder, but i assume the belt knife helps become an alternative in that case. YMMV/situational dependent.

Generally when I'm outside in normal life I'm wearing shooting style gloves with my hands in my pockets. It keeps my hands a little warmer than just bare hands in pockets and things like metal railings do not suck the heat out of them as easily when wearing gloves. The warmer your hands are when you start whatever, they longer they will stay dexterous of course.

Mechanix gloves first. The heavy duty stuff over those.

It allows plenty of dexterity whilst keeping your skin covered from the elements. When you're done doing what you have to do, the heavy stuff goes back on.

Mike C
02-10-2020, 09:56 AM
Mike C,

It’s a house-brand one-off, albeit of a design that will probably eventually enter limited production for CPs. I have an organizational requirement as to the number of spare magazines on my person and the use/carry of a Spyderco Rescue 79mm, and that’s my way of both addressing the requirements and maximizing accessibility.

It’s composed of a kydex fold-over sheathe with a flat-folding soft pouch attached behind it with spacers so that both components straddle the pants-waistband. Combination sheath/mag-pouches usually have the knife trying to orient one way and the magazine trying to orient another way: this allows for each to maintain its own preferred alignment, and for their to be no penalty when I’m running light/sans-magazine.

I wouldn’t be comfortable making the sheath with the edge facing the inner thigh, given the realities of seated access.

I’ll try and snag a picture before I hit the road.

Thanks for the photos. The idea of straddling the waist-band is a great idea as is combining the two items this is a neat solution that looks more compact and comfortable while still minimizing bulk. To address making the blade facing the other direction I was thinking in terms of carrying outboard and not in the inguinal crease, (I wouldn't want a blade facing that way either being parked there). I was just curious about placement and mounting direction as I have been playing with access in winter apparel as well as summer and found that some mounting positions just don't provide speedy access for all clothing variations when pressure is applied with sparring partners. Really appreciate the photos.

runcible
02-10-2020, 10:12 AM
Glad to! If you were to get something made by another maker in similar concept, I wouldn’t be put out in the least. If you’ve got something pikalish in mind and don’t mind my incredibly elongated lead times, you’d be welcome to PM me.

(One note on carrying outboard - it’s at the relative limits of the dictim “on or inside of the space between hips” as relates to accessible fighting equipment; and with that loses out for opportunistic/ambidextrous in-fight weapon’s access, requires a bit more available range of motion for both the initial access and drawstroke, and given its hang independent of the hinge of the proximal hip may protrude from below your cover garment more readily when seated. There are also some comfort issues given the particulars of stacking gear directly over the bony parts of The hip.)

RevolverRob
02-10-2020, 11:47 AM
Clinch Pick in my normal position at around 11:30, more horizontal on the belt to aid in concealment. Underneath my hip-length parka, it can be difficult to get to, but it's possible.Because of that difficulty, I do add a blade. I usually go with a waved folder of some variant in the outermost pocket of my jacket.

Mike C
02-10-2020, 12:50 PM
runcible PM inbound. Sounds like much of what I am learning with a sparring partner you’ve already discovered. Once my day frees up I’d really like to chat with you.

SLUZENE
02-10-2020, 12:57 PM
Mechanix gloves first. The heavy duty stuff over those.

It allows plenty of dexterity whilst keeping your skin covered from the elements. When you're done doing what you have to do, the heavy stuff goes back on.

Exactly. I like as thin as possible, as grippy as possible and as wind proof as possible. For warmer weather it's something like the Magpul or SKD gloves, colder weather usually Outdoor Research. I use gloves like this inside of mittens when hunting in deep cold (for my area) (-8 to +10F with 30-40mph wind). I can usually shoot with the mittens (tied together with the loop running around my neck) but I generally rip the mittens off to make a shot with shooting gloves.

RevolverRob
02-10-2020, 01:14 PM
Outdoor Research Liners for temps 20 and above.

Outdoor Research Ice Climbing Gloves for -5-20.

Liners inside ice climbing gloves for < -5.

Five winters and counting. Dexterity is great and warmth is good overall. I can shoot in them and use my knives in them.

I find once gloves go on, Folders need holes or waves to be reliably opened, regardless of gloves. Fixed blades need to be decently thick in cross section but not too thick. Guns are similar.

Guerrero
02-10-2020, 01:19 PM
Outdoor Research Ice Climbing Gloves for -5-20.

Model/style? I've had *horrible* luck with cold-weather gloves *for years*. In Wisconsin. In winter.

Mike C
02-10-2020, 01:58 PM
In flipping through the thread again for those that prefer a folder from front pocket of something like a heavy winter jacket or parka why the folder vs short fixed? I am finding that fixed blades are a heck of a lot easier to deploy especially when dexterity is an issue due to gloves or just cold. Mostly I am not liking then because when pressure is applied while rolling in my gear I've found folders almost impossible to deploy unless strong side hip is away. That is why I am presently thinking of going to a small fixed inside coat pocket that can be moved to belt line when the outer jacket is removed much like small round gun or pocket auto.

RevolverRob
02-10-2020, 03:30 PM
Model/style? I've had *horrible* luck with cold-weather gloves *for years*. In Wisconsin. In winter.

https://www.outdoorresearch.com/us/alibi-ii-gloves-243319?cat=4

Bear in mind, these give up warmth for dexterity. My needs may be different from your's, but for general winter wear, I find them serviceable. I've shoveled the car in them, but I've not done a whole house/walk.

In flipping through the thread again for those that prefer a folder from front pocket of something like a heavy winter jacket or parka why the folder vs short fixed? I am finding that fixed blades are a heck of a lot easier to deploy especially when dexterity is an issue due to gloves or just cold. Mostly I am not liking then because when pressure is applied while rolling in my gear I've found folders almost impossible to deploy unless strong side hip is away. That is why I am presently thinking of going to a small fixed inside coat pocket that can be moved to belt line when the outer jacket is removed much like small round gun or pocket auto.

If I'm going to move the weapon between layers it is hard to beat a simple folder for that work. A pocket sheath/pocket holster sized to work well in a coat pocket is usually not the same as those sized to work well in pants pockets; at least for me.

With respect to folders, waved is basically my go to in this regard. A Spyderco P'Kal or the Kershaw-Emerson CQC-4KXL (https://www.amazon.com/Pocketknife-Kershaw-Emerson-Durability-Reversible-Technology/dp/B00TAD2NYO) setup P'Kal style works well with my square coat pockets. I go BIG with the folder, for two reasons. One, when dexterity is reduced bigger knife is easier to hold on to. Two, the bigger blade has more inertia for snapping open when the wave catches the edge of the pocket.

It's true that the draw can be fouled when entangled, but that is mostly true of any draw that isn't from the midline forward of the hips. Set your folders up P'Kal style, so that the front of the pocket opens them and they will be much closer to the midline and usually forward of the hips. The draw can still be fouled, but has to be done from above and in vs. tying the arm up high. It's not enough to just tie bicep close to the hip, you have to tie the forearm/wrist and lock it down.

Totem Polar
02-10-2020, 03:52 PM
Honestly, when bundled up in *serious* winter gear, I just go for some sort of impact weapon in an outer jacket pocket, over a knife. A *meaty* carabiner with 6-8" of paracord double braid and some keys on the other end is easier to grab than any of my folders. I’m talking puffy jacket/puffy gloves weather, here.

Mike C
02-10-2020, 04:16 PM
RevolverRob

I completely agree that the folder would be easier to move between layers and would be much less injurious to myself than something fixed. I was looking at a two knife solution but the more I spar with more than one blade plus the gun I realized that I can't defend everything at once, plus crap tends to fall out or deployed against me. I think ultimately I'd like a solution that would allow me to use one fixed blade to move between layers or a folder that could be carried and deployed like the CP but then closed and moved to a pocket for the winter time in an outer garment. I suppose what I could do is use the CP 90% of the year and the other 10% run something like what runcible has with a folder and then move the back and forth from the pocket to the sheath as required. I like this idea a lot, I've played with multi knife solutions but don't feel that I posses the skill set to: A use things in its most effective manner, and B fend it effectively, (I really need an EWO class bad). I would also really like to keep things simple with index and drawing one type of knife. Not that people can't switch back and fourth between different gear but I want my effort and time to be maximized I also want the minimal amount of shit to maintain control of and account for.

Great point on the P'Kal's. I will look more at them but I really want to get away from clips on pockets.