PDA

View Full Version : Help Choosing a Defensive Handgun For A Disabled Woman

Nightvisionary
12-18-2019, 09:40 PM
I need some ideas in choosing a handgun for a smalled framed woman with a disability affecting her right arm. She has very limited dexterity and strength in her right hand and arm and somewhat above average strength in her left hand and arm. She also has a disability that limits her mobility. She can walk but not fast and cannot run.

She cannot rack the slide of a Kel Tec PMR, Glock 42, Glock 19, S&W SD9VE, or Star BM-9 because she does not have the grip strength or dexterity to grip the pistol or the slide with her right arm or provide useful support with the right hand. Firing will have to be performed one handed with her left hand and combat or tactical reloads are not going to happen so whatever ammunition the gun holds is what she will have to work with.

The gun should either have no safety or an easy to manipulate safety for a left handed person and be functionally reliable in spite of limp wristing. This will be primarily a house gun. So far I have come up with these ideas:

Charter Arms Professional - 7 shot 32 H&R magnum 3 inch barrel DA revolver

S&W Shield EZ 380 ACP

Beretta Model 81 32 ACP -Has Ambi safety, 12 round magazine

S&W Model 10 38 Spl.

BillSWPA
12-18-2019, 09:52 PM
This seems like exactly the situation for which the Shield EZ .380 was designed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

scjbash
12-18-2019, 09:59 PM
With her left hand supporting a .22 or .22 mag rifle would she have enough ability with her right hand to work the trigger?

Stephanie B
12-18-2019, 10:03 PM
Peter of the Bayou Renaissance Man blog has done a lot of work with disabled shooters.

https://bayourenaissanceman.blogspot.com/

You might want to contact him and see if he has some ideas.

Jim Watson
12-18-2019, 10:10 PM
Can she load a magazine?
If not, would she agree to let you load the gun for her and leave it ready?
Then the highest capacity auto she can get her left hand around.
Or two Compact pistols.

idahojess
12-18-2019, 10:20 PM
I've got an injured right hand and arm myself, and racking a slide, though doable, can be difficult for me.

I tend to be most comfortable carrying a revolver, though I do like to carry (and shoot) semi-autos. One thing I've noticed is that hammer fired semiautos have easier to rack slides, particularly if cocked first (which can be an issue as well, just from a safety/manipulation standpoint). The first semi auto I bought was a Ruger P94, because I could rack the slide easily.

Striker fired guns, particularly the newest ones with the double recoil springs, have a very difficult tension. A gen 3 glock is much easier to rack for me than a gen 4 glock.

I agree with Bill, I think the 380 shield ez would be definitely worth a try -- I've never shot one, but I've handled them and thought they were very easy to rack.

Another option would be the Springfield xde, though it has a somewhat longer trigger reach. I have one and it has been easy to rack, and has performed well with about 600 rounds. I still haven't carried it.

Also, although I don't have one either, something like a 327 magnum loaded with the lower powered 32's seems like a good possibility.

Nightvisionary
12-18-2019, 10:29 PM
With her left hand supporting a .22 or .22 mag rifle would she have enough ability with her right hand to work the trigger?

No, she does not possess fine motor skills with her right hand needed for trigger manipulation.

Nightvisionary
12-18-2019, 10:36 PM
Can she load a magazine?
If not, would she agree to let you load the gun for her and leave it ready?
Then the highest capacity auto she can get her left hand around.
Or two Compact pistols.

She could load a cylinder and some magazines but not quickly. The gun would likely be loaded and left ready for her. A standard striker fired pistol without a manual safety at this point would not be a good choice.

Inspector71
12-18-2019, 10:52 PM
This case screams “revolver”. At one time, I used to have to qualify a one-armed LE Officer (Special disability hire). He had to fire the same course as his non-disabled, semi auto pistol colleagues. He more than met the minimum score/time limits everytime. Did his reloads by shoving the revolver barrel down behind his Sam Browne belt. His issued gun was the Ruger Speed-Six.

Jim Watson
12-18-2019, 10:54 PM
S&W M&P with ambi safety.
Full size 9
Compact 9
Shield 9
EZ 9
EZ .380
Compact .22

Biggest in the family she can grasp.

Totem Polar
12-18-2019, 11:22 PM
This case screams “revolver”...

I agree with this. ^^^

3" Kimber K6; Colt King or Standard Cobra; LCR of some sort... any of the current-gen wheelies with user-friendly triggers. I’m not seeing the extra hassle of magazines and basic semi-auto administrative handling being worth it. Get something workable enough to also be a little bit of fun. JMO.

Duelist
12-19-2019, 03:45 AM
4” or 6” K frame .22 if she cannot handle any recoil. Same in .38 Special if she can at least manage 130gr FMJ or 148gr match wadcutters. Both is ideal, and is part of my early preps for old-man guns.

Self-sufficiency to load/unload (this can be done with one hand - I learned how after my brother broke his wrist); grips to fit her hand (carve them up to fit as necessary).

A Colt Police Positive or DS or Agent if the K is just too big.

Nightvisionary
12-19-2019, 03:45 AM
I agree with this. ^^^

3" Kimber K6; Colt King or Standard Cobra; LCR of some sort... any of the current-gen wheelies with user-friendly triggers. I’m not seeing the extra hassle of magazines and basic semi-auto administrative handling being worth it. Get something workable enough to also be a little bit of fun. JMO.

I forgot to add I was also looking at the Ruger LCRX revolver, 5 round 38 Spl with 3 inch barrel. It would be an easy transition to the LCR for CCW after additional training. I just wish they made it with a 6 round cylinder.

Nightvisionary
12-19-2019, 03:50 AM
4” or 6” K frame .22 if she cannot handle any recoil. Same in .38 Special if she can at least manage 130gr FMJ or 148gr match wadcutters. Both is ideal, and is part of my early preps for old-man guns.

Self-sufficiency to load/unload (this can be done with one hand - I learned how after my brother broke his wrist); grips to fit her hand (carve them up to fit as necessary).

A Colt Police Positive or DS or Agent if the K is just too big.

I was watching a Police Positive on Gunbroker for this purpose today. It's the perfect size. I wonder if it could handle a limited amount of +P like the 130 grain HST.

Poconnor
12-19-2019, 04:43 AM
I would think a Ruger LCRx would be the ticket. A 38 special might be too much. It has models available in 2” or 3”; .357 mag, 38 special, 9mm, 327, .22WMR and .22lr. The model with hammer allows deliberate single action fire. The 3” has adjustable sights. I plan on getting a few eventually. I have been looking for a j frame .32. I should just get a LCR .32

Duelist
12-19-2019, 08:06 AM
I was watching a Police Positive on Gunbroker for this purpose today. It's the perfect size. I wonder if it could handle a limited amount of +P like the 130 grain HST.

They were rated to handle that stuff, just with the caution that they would need timing attention sooner. So very limited, yes. Might be better to go with a new night Cobra or a K6 instead. Even a S&W 60-9 Ladysmith with some Pacamayr Grippers to give a full, cushioned grip. Or the LCRx looks good, too. Or an SP101 3” - the .22 I messed with a couple of weeks ago was the nicest SP101 I’ve ever seen.

Hambo
12-19-2019, 08:28 AM

Police Positives are not .38 Special. Assuming you mean a Police Positive Special, I would just use .38 wadcutters.

When I had did not have the use of my dominant hand, I wanted all the bullets I could get without having to reload (see Jim Watson's post).

BN
12-19-2019, 08:29 AM
This case screams “revolver”.

I agree. Any malfunction with an autopistol would be a disaster.

How much money can be spent? If this is going to be a house gun, what about the 7 shot L-Frames? Is recoil a problem? I recently got an 8 shot S&W 43c in 22 LR and it is now my EDC. I would scratch Charter Arms off the list. Go with one of the revolvers with a better reputation.

Half Moon
12-19-2019, 08:31 AM
Having worked with a couple special needs shooters, your best bet is to work with her to find what she is comfortable with. Ditch preconceived notions and try different things. If you have a range with rental counter take advantage of it. In my wife's case we eventually ended up back where we'd started with my range toy Colt 1903 .32 as her defense pistol plus a Bersa .22 for higher volume range days. Along the way though we tried a lot of other things, both semi and revolver, only to discard them for various reasons such as - too much recoil, too much trigger reach, too heavy a trigger, etc, yadda. It was a slow and frustrating process. Bottom line though you want something she is happy with and hopefully will practice with. Every disability and shooter is different. Finding that Goldilocks gun will probably take some work and forcing the issue can be a fool's errand.

David S.
12-19-2019, 08:32 AM

Does she have the strength to run an 8 to whatever pound DA trigger?

Seems like there's been some deals on police trade in S&W's lately, including a taper barrel model 10 (https://www.classicfirearms.com/smith-wesson-m10-7-classic-38-spl-4-blued-police-turn-in-hg4224-taper-bbl-revolver/), IIRC. Run some wadcutters (or better, if she can handle the recoil) and rock on. Might work pretty good in the night stand role.

Stephanie B
12-19-2019, 09:35 AM
Seems like there's been some deals on police trade in S&W's lately, including a taper barrel model 10 (https://www.classicfirearms.com/smith-wesson-m10-7-classic-38-spl-4-blued-police-turn-in-hg4224-taper-bbl-revolver/), IIRC. Run some wadcutters (or better, if she can handle the recoil) and rock on. Might work pretty good in the night stand role.
A very light polishing of the internals (staying away from the sear engagement surfaces) might work wonders on the trigger pull, too.

CCT125US
12-19-2019, 09:49 AM
In regards to revolvers, keep in mind the manual of arms to release the cylinder. LHO may be a challenge considering the latch. IIRC, Smith's are slide forward, Colts are slide back, Rugers are push.....combined with rolling the cylinder out, it could prove a bit much. It sounds as though a revolver may be the best option, but I would suggest perusing the LGS with your right hand out of action.

Rex G
12-19-2019, 09:50 AM
My right hand/arm/shoulder have good days, and bad days. The hand has improved, since I retired, but the arm has gotten worse. Knowing that I may well be cut-on, sooner or later, and then have to wear a splint or cast, I am very much into large and small revolvers, and Glock 17 and 19x auto-pistols. This does not mean a G17/G19x is the correct weapon for your friend, but it does hold plenty of ammunition, and has amazingly low recoil, if one’s hands are large enough to avoid having to use the “h” grip. (My personal reason for the G19x/G17 is so that the grip frame is long enough to firmly rest against the “heel bone” of my hand, feeding recoil more directly into the sturdy platform of the forearm bones. This facilitates my continued capability to shoot right-handed, for as long as possible; running the slide with my stronger left hand makes sense, as does keeping my stronger left hand free for contact defense, so I continue to carry primary on the right side, which is not, of course applicable to your friend’s situation, but might make sense for a another/future reader of this thread topic.)

I will mention one solution, that may raise some eyebrows, but single-action revolvers may be an viable option, especially if your friend’s thumb is able to reach to reach the loading gate, while maintaining a firing grip, and if she can manage to insert cartridges with her right hand. Even if the SA sixgun is not carried while out and about, it can be a formidable hindrance to an intruder, when used from a protected position. (Almost two decades ago, during a bad bout with CTS, I slept with splints on both wrists, and kept a USFA Single Action at bedside.) If your friend cannot manipulate ammunition with her right hand, a DA revolver would be better than the SA.

Consider my whole write-up, here, to be food for thought. I am not trying to convince or convert anyone.

Forgive me for TWOSCY. (Typing WithOut Sufficient Caffeine Yet.)

Glenn E. Meyer
12-19-2019, 09:59 AM
First, I'm totally in agreement that she has to test the gun. I'll throw in some info and ideas. The OP mentioned the Charter Arms 32 HR Mag 7 shot revolver.

I'm a fan of the 32s in a revolver.

https://www.luckygunner.com/lounge/why-the-best-snub-nose-caliber-is-32/

The variety of rounds is quite useful for recoil management. I have a 432 Snubby as does Tamara and a stainless 3 inch SW 632, ported. I've shot the latter quite a bit in matches for grins. It is pussy cat with 32 SW Long, mild with 32 HR mag but the full power 327s are quite significant in recoil and blast. I've mentioned that when I switched from the Longs to a reload of 327s for some steel poppers, the SO next to me, thought I blew up. So 327s aren't recommended for someone with weaker hand strength.
Here's a thread from users of the Charter Arms gun - https://www.thehighroad.org/index.php?threads/32-h-r-fans-rejoice.849159/

Summary, lots of reports of low point of impact.

The trigger pull on the SW 632 is less than the 432 but I haven't measured it. If you have problems with trigger pull, you would have to try one. However, these guns aren't made anymore and expensive on the aftermarket.

I've casually shot LCRs and thought the DA trigger was not that bad and they come in 327.

Another suggestion which is dependent on the user's ability is a single action trigger pull. Mas once wrote about recommending a single action 22LR for someone with severe arthritis, IIRC. Thus, Ruger makes a 327 LCR with a hammer. Never shot one of those, so this is purely a suggestion to be tested, if interested. There is also a Lipsey's exclusive Bird Head, Single 7 with 7 shots of the 32s.

Of course, the single action trigger suggestion is premised on the ability of the shooter and testing out such guns. A Bearcat in 22 LR is a very easy gun to shoot, of course - one handed or two handed hammer manipulation needs empirical testing.

These are just thought based on the OP's original Charter Arms suggestion for a 32.

zuplex
12-19-2019, 10:03 AM
My dad has arthritis in his dominant hand. He can shoot his M&P 380 EZ without a problem. It’s a good option.

What about a Sig P250 .380? They’re hard to find but apparently are very easy to rack. Compact models have 15 round magazines. Here’s a subcompact version on GunBroker: https://www.gunbroker.com/item/848602935

Rex G
12-19-2019, 10:08 AM
I also want to mention the importance of a sturdy blade, especially if your friend’s area of residence has knife-friendly laws, allowing carry of fixed-blade knives. A handgun may be the better primary weapon, but the blade is the primal weapon. It would be very difficult to rape a woman, or, a man, f she/he had a blade of appropriate size in the hand, and knew how to use it in ways that would make it difficult for even a well-trained attacker to perform any take-away techniques.

BN
12-19-2019, 10:12 AM
Another thought. Competition shooters have been putting reduced weight recoil springs in pistols for years. This makes the slide easier to rack. They have been doing it to "time" the slide speed to reduced recoil ammo. I have gone as low as 13# in Glock 17s with good reliability.

Rex G
12-19-2019, 10:21 AM
In regards to revolvers, keep in mind the manual of arms to release the cylinder. LHO may be a challenge considering the latch. IIRC, Smith's are slide forward, Colts are slide back, Rugers are push.....combined with rolling the cylinder out, it could prove a bit much. It sounds as though a revolver may be the best option, but I would suggest perusing the LGS with your right hand out of action.

Ruger DA: Push button with left index finger, and while pushing this button, shove right side of cylinder against any convenient body part, or other object. It is one reason I like Ruger DA revolvers, for defensive carry. The next-easiest DA is probably a Colt, as the left trigger finger can pull rearward on the cylinder latch, but I no longer have such a weapon, to actually perform a side-by-side comparison.

Totem Polar
12-19-2019, 11:18 AM
Ruger DA: Push button with left index finger, and while pushing this button, shove right side of cylinder against any convenient body part, or other object. It is one reason I like Ruger DA revolvers, for defensive carry. The next-easiest DA is probably a Colt, as the left trigger finger can pull rearward on the cylinder latch, but I no longer have such a weapon, to actually perform a side-by-side comparison.

This. On one-handed manipulation of revolvers, it can be done. The old "street survival" books from the 80s had info, as does Grant Cunningham’s revolver book. Ruger, Kimber, and Colt are indeed easier to pop open LH only—with the Kimber K6 being easiest for me—although the new Colt latch works well left-handed. Honestly, between the triggers, sight options, and the cylinder release designs, I don’t see any reason to go S&W for this specific application, unless you can get a line on a good k-frame for free.

As an aside, Ruger makes a nice 7-shot .327 Fed GP-100 that works. It’s no CCW piece, but I wouldn’t scoff at one for HD. .327 Fed is crazy loud though. Like, .223 full-length rifle loud. Again, FWIW.

BillSWPA
12-19-2019, 11:43 AM
Be sure she can handle a DA trigger before going with a revolver.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BehindBlueI's
12-19-2019, 11:59 AM
The LCR or LCRx seems like an ideal solution if she can pull the trigger. The center fire LCR's cammed trigger feels lighter then standard DA/DAO triggers. No worries about field stripping for maintenance and no limp wristing concerns. Low weight, effectively infinite grip size options, and available high visibility front sights should also help her.

Assuming random violence is the threat I would not sweat the capacity or slow reloads of a 5-shot revolver.

OlongJohnson
12-19-2019, 12:39 PM
Find the Grandma Gun thread and Old Man Gun Thread here on this site.

I'll add a vote for the P250 .380. The recoil spring is super light, so it's easy to rack the slide. Trigger is light and smooth. Mags hold 15+1. P250/320 mag catch is reversible for LH use, slide catch is ambi. Grip frames available in all sizes. Out of production and hard to find are the only problems.

RevolverRob
12-19-2019, 12:50 PM
LCR/LCRx in .327 Magnum. Loaded with .32 H&R Magnums, not .327 Magnums - The 80-grain Hornady Critical Defense would be the best round in .32 H&R Mag.

If that proves to be too much in terms of recoil and comfort, Buffalo Bore has 100-grain hard cast wadcutters in .32 S&W Long that push out @ 850 fps. Would shoot about like a 148-grain WC from a .38 J-Frame. If even that is too much, Lapua offers two different Olympic-level match loads in .32 S&W Long - a 98-grain WC @ 650fps, and an 83-grain WC @ 650fps.

Hornady: https://www.hornady.com/ammunition/handgun/32-h-r-mag-80gr-ftx-critical-defense#!/

Buffalo Bore: https://www.buffalobore.com/index.php?l=product_detail&p=345

Lapua: http://www.champchoice.com/store/main.aspx?p=categoryBody&c=APPCLA

Jim Watson
12-19-2019, 02:54 PM
As is usual, we have recommended or at least brought up for consideration, everything on the market in the general category of interest. In this case the whole class of compact to medium handguns suitable for one handed use. You name it, somebody thinks it is the one to have. I hope the OP can glean some principles out of it to help his user.

Now, Nightvisionary, what about the user? Is she going to go shopping and handle everything remotely suitable and shoot everything that can be rented or borrowed that she can manipulate? Or does she want a turnkey solution provided by We Experts?

Either way, gun chosen and in hand, how much shooting work is she likely to do? Will she study, train, and practice out of determination or enthusiasm, or will the carefully selected pistol be a bureau drawer special? Or in between, like the LEO who considers his weapon a "ballistic badge" and only shoots for scheduled qualification?

I know an unfortunate number of people of the second type and a few of the third. I haven't found a blandishment that will get them on the range.
I have one Lady shooter who has taken off. She has taken classes in self defense and competition shooting, has a regular practice regimen, and shoots matches. She worked her way through at least four guns and ended up with a @#$%^ Glock. Beat me in the last GSSF Indoor series, too. ;-)

Good luck.

willie
12-19-2019, 03:11 PM

I have a Police Positive made in the 50's and have owned several made since then. I shot a hand load composed of 5.5 hrs Unique and a 158 gr bullet. Some would say that this load approaches low end magnum pressure. These guns will handle the round that you mention. Over time continued use of high pressure ammo increases wear. But load with wadcutters and have an adequate weapon/load combination. I do not recommend my hand load in any .38 spl revolver. The fact that I fired 1000's through .38 spl revolvers without incidence means that I was lucky but not smart.

Thinking about the person's disability, I will point out that she will not be able to manipulate a pistol slide or load magazines. If there is such a thing as limp wristing, then this malfunction might occur. Disabilities become more severe as time passes. Does she need a handgun that will go bang and is one with which she is less likely to have a negligent discharge? Buy an older steel J frame and send it to a known professional gunsmith for an action job that includes deleting the single action feature. Select grips that best fit her. Buy a quantity of Federal ammo from the same lot. Test the gun and ammo. Try to get her to have supervised familiarization practice. Load and give it to her and hope for the best. The Colt PP like other Colts have a da pull that stacks. I would not trust anybody to perform an action job on one. Their small V spring does not lend itself to tweaking.

Glenn E. Meyer
12-19-2019, 03:51 PM
The choice of having or not having a single action option is an empirical question that should be tested by the user. We cannot say that it should or shouldn't be there.

Nightvisionary
12-19-2019, 04:19 PM
Having worked with a couple special needs shooters, your best bet is to work with her to find what she is comfortable with. Ditch preconceived notions and try different things. If you have a range with rental counter take advantage of it. In my wife's case we eventually ended up back where we'd started with my range toy Colt 1903 .32 as her defense pistol plus a Bersa .22 for higher volume range days. Along the way though we tried a lot of other things, both semi and revolver, only to discard them for various reasons such as - too much recoil, too much trigger reach, too heavy a trigger, etc, yadda. It was a slow and frustrating process. Bottom line though you want something she is happy with and hopefully will practice with. Every disability and shooter is different. Finding that Goldilocks gun will probably take some work and forcing the issue can be a fool's errand.

Great advice. We will head to the range and try out a few rental guns. That has certainly helped me make some purchase decisions in the past.

Does she have the strength to run an 8 to whatever pound DA trigger?

She can operate the trigger on a S&W Model 37 revolver no problem and I think that is at least 9 lbs.

Duelist
12-19-2019, 04:41 PM
Great advice. We will head to the range and try out a few rental guns. That has certainly helped me make some purchase decisions in the past.

She can operate the trigger on a S&W Model 37 revolver no problem and I think that is at least 9 lbs.

If she can run a 37 trigger, she should be fine with any revolver that fits her hand - that she can properly address the trigger on, in other words. Just not Taurus or Charter. Ruger, Colt, S&W, Dan Wesson, K6.

Nightvisionary
12-19-2019, 04:44 PM
First, I'm totally in agreement that she has to test the gun. I'll throw in some info and ideas. The OP mentioned the Charter Arms 32 HR Mag 7 shot revolver.

I'm a fan of the 32s in a revolver.

https://www.luckygunner.com/lounge/why-the-best-snub-nose-caliber-is-32/

The variety of rounds is quite useful for recoil management. I have a 432 Snubby as does Tamara and a stainless 3 inch SW 632, ported. I've shot the latter quite a bit in matches for grins. It is pussy cat with 32 SW Long, mild with 32 HR mag but the full power 327s are quite significant in recoil and blast. I've mentioned that when I switched from the Longs to a reload of 327s for some steel poppers, the SO next to me, thought I blew up. So 327s aren't recommended for someone with weaker hand strength.
Here's a thread from users of the Charter Arms gun - https://www.thehighroad.org/index.php?threads/32-h-r-fans-rejoice.849159/

Summary, lots of reports of low point of impact.

The trigger pull on the SW 632 is less than the 432 but I haven't measured it. If you have problems with trigger pull, you would have to try one. However, these guns aren't made anymore and expensive on the aftermarket.

I've casually shot LCRs and thought the DA trigger was not that bad and they come in 327.

Another suggestion which is dependent on the user's ability is a single action trigger pull. Mas once wrote about recommending a single action 22LR for someone with severe arthritis, IIRC. Thus, Ruger makes a 327 LCR with a hammer. Never shot one of those, so this is purely a suggestion to be tested, if interested. There is also a Lipsey's exclusive Bird Head, Single 7 with 7 shots of the 32s.

Of course, the single action trigger suggestion is premised on the ability of the shooter and testing out such guns. A Bearcat in 22 LR is a very easy gun to shoot, of course - one handed or two handed hammer manipulation needs empirical testing.

These are just thought based on the OP's original Charter Arms suggestion for a 32.

Looks like that Charter Arms is a no go then. I got rid of a Beretta Nano with low point of impact. No need to subject a new shooter to that. My LCR 38 has a pretty nice trigger although I prefer my well used S&W Model 37 just a bit more.

RJ
12-19-2019, 04:45 PM
...LCR of some sort...

Late to chime in but this thought (LCR) came to mind to me as well. Or a larger Ruger or S&W revolver of some kind.

Nightvisionary
12-19-2019, 04:55 PM
I also want to mention the importance of a sturdy blade, especially if your friend’s area of residence has knife-friendly laws, allowing carry of fixed-blade knives. A handgun may be the better primary weapon, but the blade is the primal weapon. It would be very difficult to rape a woman, or, a man, f she/he had a blade of appropriate size in the hand, and knew how to use it in ways that would make it difficult for even a well-trained attacker to perform any take-away techniques.

Funny thing about that is we talked about blades as well. I just went to the annual KAI/Kershaw factory warehouse sale a couple weeks ago and picked up several new Kershaw and a Zero Tolerance auto or open assist knives to add to my collection from previous annual sales. It never occurred to me but just like firearms auto knives are mostly right hand only. The buttons for all 3 kershaws autos I purchased are on one side and open to the left so if the user is left handed the blade opens into the palm. The open assist knives are ambi so that would be the better route.

Jim Watson
12-19-2019, 10:25 PM
Fixed blade (carry) or out-the-front (expensive) knife for a southpaw.

If she can pull a M37, she can pull any DA she can reach.
But: Friends don't let non-enthusiast friends get Airweight J frames. They are unpleasant to shoot.
I like the LCR pretty well. Buy the .357 or .327 to get the steel frame, then shoot .38 Special or .32 Long, maybe H&R.
K Smith is the default revolver, though.

vcdgrips
12-20-2019, 10:54 AM
Late to the party. Most respectfully:

a reload is highly unlikely and would be too slow to be outcome changing-

manipulation on any firearm is going to be a real challenge-

recoil for any follow up shots at speed is going to be a challenge-

any malfunction clearance in an auto loader is going to be a real challenge-

therefore a tuned .22 revolver- S&W Model 317 or Model 63. Both have 8 shots.

Given her challenges -this is not likely going to be a problem solved by a used autoloader at 350 out the door.

PS-consistent with her local law, the carrying of a small fixed blade, perhaps in a "punch dagger' configuration along with her accepting some mindset advice ( Farnam's 3 s rule etc.) would also go a long way to empowering her and keeping her safe.

FWIW.

Bless you for taking this on. You are a good person for doing so.

BehindBlueI's
12-20-2019, 02:00 PM
Late to the party. Most respectfully:

a reload is highly unlikely and would be too slow to be outcome changing-

manipulation on any firearm is going to be a real challenge-

recoil for any follow up shots at speed is going to be a challenge-

any malfunction clearance in an auto loader is going to be a real challenge-

therefore a tuned .22 revolver- S&W Model 317 or Model 63. Both have 8 shots.

Given her challenges -this is not likely going to be a problem solved by a used autoloader at 350 out the door.

PS-consistent with her local law, the carrying of a small fixed blade, perhaps in a "punch dagger' configuration along with her accepting some mindset advice ( Farnam's 3 s rule etc.) would also go a long way to empowering her and keeping her safe.

FWIW.

Bless you for taking this on. You are a good person for doing so.

Agreed with some reservation on rim fire due to the usually more challenging triggers and the reduced ability for mechanical stops due to bone breaks, e.t.c. If she can handle a .38, I'd stick with the .38.

vcdgrips
12-20-2019, 02:46 PM
BB

In broad strokes I agree with you. However, I am concerned that the split times between shots even shooting a mild wadcutter in 38 for her is more than her just pulling the trigger again if the rimfire does not go off. Perhaps loading from multiple ammunition lots would reduce the rimfire ignition issue to an acceptable level.

To quote another on a closed gun forum I belong to: "Just Ramblin...."

Glenn E. Meyer
12-20-2019, 02:49 PM
I had a SW 317 LS (supposedly lighter trigger). It was horrendous. Ditched it. My other SW center fire snubbies are much better. I would say one of those with a lighter load.

willie
12-21-2019, 07:18 AM
[QUOTE=Glenn E. Meyer;968784]The choice of having or not having a single action option is an empirical question that should be tested by the user. We cannot say that it should or shouldn't be there.[/QUOTE

Person in question is disabled. I assume she has weak hands and assume she is not a shooter. Giving her a revolver that she can cock means that if she cocks it, then she now must either fire the weapon or let the hammer down on a live round. I see the last part as hazardous when her inexperience and condition are else considered. Also, many Smith revolvers have a 2-3 lb single action trigger pull. That's light.

Now for thread drift. When non shooters become disabled and wish to have a gun for protection, my thinking is that unless someone else with at least minimum qualifications instructs them, then they may not benefit from having the weapon. Further, if having a weapon is somebody else's idea, then I wonder whether or not the disabled person will have motivation to take instruction. Finally, I want to say that if we live long enough, the vast majority will reach a point where we are no longer capable of manipulating weapons, and in some cases dementia enters the picture. And then there is the medication issue that may or may not be relevant.

Glenn E. Meyer
12-21-2019, 10:24 AM
The flaw in your post is that you said: "Assume".

I said - an empirical test. Rather than remove the hammer from a DA revolver or discard a single action one, it is easy to get snap caps and have the person test it. It is that simple. Then go to a range and test it under strict supervision. From the OP, it seems the person will not just be given the gun but also get instruction.

Lowering the trigger - see if they can do it. Also, if the gun is used outside the range for SD, lowering the trigger while important is not as important as having a gun one can shoot to prevent grievous bodily harm. I had one student who was terrible challenged and she was as tough as nails. I'd let someone like her try it, rather than assume anything.

willie
12-21-2019, 11:57 PM
The flaw in your post is that you said: "Assume".

I said - an empirical test. Rather than remove the hammer from a DA revolver or discard a single action one, it is easy to get snap caps and have the person test it. It is that simple. Then go to a range and test it under strict supervision. From the OP, it seems the person will not just be given the gun but also get instruction.

Lowering the trigger - see if they can do it. Also, if the gun is used outside the range for SD, lowering the trigger while important is not as important as having a gun one can shoot to prevent grievous bodily harm. I had one student who was terrible challenged and she was as tough as nails. I'd let someone like her try it, rather than assume anything.

Glenn is correct. I assumed the lady has weak hands. I should have reread the first post. She does not have weak hands. Instead she has one weak hand. She will use the stronger left hand to hold, manipulate, and fire the weapon.

Nightvisionary
12-23-2019, 06:20 AM
On Friday I had her hold and manipulate a Colt Trooper 357, and Browning Challenger 22 LR. I wanted to see if she could manipulate the slide on the Challenger 22LR as it is very light and similar to the Shield EZ 380 in the force required to retract and chamber a round. She was able to do it only once with severe difficulty that resulted in unsafe handling. On the other hand she could aim the full frame Trooper and pull the trigger with her left hand as well as open the cylinder. She commented that the trooper was heavy but manageable to hold for a short time. I decided that a DA revolver in 38 Special would be the way to go but one smaller and lighter than the full sized Trooper.

The Ruger LCRX in 38 Special was my first choice but it's light 15 ounce weight would not do as much to mitigate recoil for a new shooter who must shoot single handed. The price was also a secondary concern as the budget was $350 and the Ruger was about $100 over that price. I looked at the surplus Model 10's available and focused on the standard barrel since it would not be as muzzle heavy as the M10HB for a small woman firing single handed. Checking Gunbroker, smaller framed revolvers like a full grip S&W Model 36 with a 3 inch barrel or a Colt Police Positive seemed pretty close to the ideal balance of size and weight but I was outbid on all of them.

I returned to the LGS and found a revolver I had previously missed on an earlier trip due to it's somewhat hidden location behind the counter. It was a 1990's production matte nickel Taurus Model 85 38 Special with 3 inch barrel and the larger wooden grips in excellent condition. I performed my usual revolver inspection and found it to be in perfect mechanical condition with little evidence of having been fired much. The trigger was surprisingly smooth and every bit as good as my S&W M37 and Ruger LCR. It is identical to the revolver pictured below including condition. Being a near copy of a S&W J frame it's lighter and smaller than a S&W Model 10 but heavier than a Ruger LCRX which is exactly what I was aiming for. It's also rated for +P should she decide to make that choice. The revolver is very comfortable for her to hold and manipulate. I had her try a few dry fires with a coin on top the barrel which she performed perfectly.

I will have her practice some more dry firing then next week we will get out to the range. I plan on starting her out with a 22LR then progress to light loads in the Taurus.

https://images.gunsinternational.com/listings_sub/acc_78935/gi_101025290/Taurus-85-38-Special_101025290_78935_EB4EB3BC4DC87D53.jpg

SAWBONES
12-23-2019, 09:00 AM
Probably an excellent choice for the lady described.

The Taurus Model 85 was an excellent gun back in the mid-'80s, fully the equal of the S&W quality of the time, and hopefully still so for the model you found.