PDA

View Full Version : Poll: What's Best For America...2020 Elections

blues
12-17-2019, 05:47 PM
All replies anononymous.

What's the best outcome for America in the upcoming 2020 elections?

RoyGBiv
12-17-2019, 05:50 PM
Designated survivor?

You forgot the poll, BTW.
And you should drop the "n" off America. :cool:

blues
12-17-2019, 05:54 PM
Didn't forget, was posting them up. Thanks for pointing out the typo.

beenalongtime
12-17-2019, 05:54 PM
Best outcome, no civil war.

Least likely outcome, people being civil to one another.

RoyGBiv
12-17-2019, 05:55 PM
Didn't forget, was posting them up. Thanks for pointing out the typo.

I'm sticking with my original answer. :o

RJ
12-17-2019, 08:06 PM
I don't see Trump losing. A-hole blowhard that can't keep his trap shut that he is, no one in the Democratic field, announced or unannounced, has a snowball's chance in heck to beat him.

Being a former registered Democrat growing up in Northern Virginia, I despair at what has happened to the Party. Over the last decade or so and increasingly in recent memory, the Democratic/Liberal/Progressive (call what you will) have unceasingly listed ever farther left. The Democratic Party platforms of my middle years (I am 60) would be cast as neo-Nazi by today's Progressive members of the left, I would wager.

It's unfortunate because we are between the Devil and the Deep Blue Sea, and no longer have an narrow option between fiscally conservative and morally progressive, where we could decide how to vote based on the best candidate. I used to feel that generally, candidates, Left or Right, had America's best interests at heart, and would represent their constituency faithfully, but interpret it based on values I shared with them as Americans.

No more. The Democratic Party is headed off a cliff, aided and abetted by identity driven politics (Are you LGBTQ? Are you a person of color?) that determines the Political worth of a candidate to the new left.

It's sad, really.

So, Trump will win.

Unfortunately for the Democratic Party, my sense of things is that they (as a group) will crater, badly, lose the house, and learn nothing from the 8 years of a Trump Presidency. I am not optimistic they will regroup in time for 2022 midterms, and (I suspect) will not gather themselves together until some time in the distant future.

What I am afraid of however, is that at some point the Left will collectively realize they do not represent the common/middle/centrists of American society, but nevertheless there will be still be some States, geographic areas, or municipalities which will attempt to expand even further their current far-left policies and laws on an isolated basis. Not sure what happens at that point.

jrm
12-17-2019, 08:17 PM
I didn’t vote. I wish all politicians were more independent neither party has it all right. I used to think the Republicans were the closest but I feel they have gone super goofy in the last little bit. I think the monolithic 2 party system is destined for extremes. If it were plausible to break from your party from time to time the people would probably be better represented. As it stands towing the party line is more important than rational or logical thought, or integrity. That is a recipe for failure best I can tell.

Cypher
12-17-2019, 08:17 PM
A Convention of States and term limits on the House, Senate and Supreme Court

pooty
12-17-2019, 10:01 PM
Independent President, President Tulsi brings our troops home
Democrat Congress, alerts the few remaining, complacent right wingers,

edit: DEM congress plus President Bernie would be even better

GardoneVT
12-17-2019, 10:12 PM
Where’s the “N/A” box? At this point the economics of running for President dooms us to narcissistic & vapid leadership regardless of party.

Borderland
12-17-2019, 10:15 PM
Somebody paid you to do this, right?

Was it LL? What's your percentage of the take?

This isn't going to show up on 538 is it?

blues
12-17-2019, 10:16 PM

LL swore me to an NDA. But you know it's big...really, really big.

;)

Borderland
12-17-2019, 10:33 PM
LL swore me to an NDA. But you know it's big...really, really big.

;)

You need an attorney pronto.

BehindBlueI's
12-17-2019, 10:40 PM
Filling all vacancies via a lottery of all citizens who pass a basic literacy and math test?

blues
12-17-2019, 10:42 PM
You need an attorney pronto.

https://www.rawstory.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/09/Rudy-Giuliani.jpg

"Well, that lets me off the hook."

Borderland
12-17-2019, 10:52 PM
https://www.rawstory.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/09/Rudy-Giuliani.jpg

"Well, that lets me off the hook."

Not that attorney. He's the Ukrainian ambassador. LL isn't mixed up in that Ukrainian debacle also is he?

Totem Polar
12-17-2019, 10:55 PM
Filling all vacancies via a lottery of all citizens who pass a basic literacy and math test?

https://s2982.pcdn.co/wp-content/uploads/2019/05/Hitchhikers-Guide-to-the-Galaxy-1200x675.jpg

Cory
12-18-2019, 06:17 AM
When trying to vote, i accide tly smacked the last option before the vote button.

So o e of your votes for independent president/democrat congress is definitely in error. I intended for the first option.

-Cory

Hambo
12-18-2019, 06:49 AM

And the citizenship test.

blues, I'm writing in my vote: It'll be a shit show no matter who wins.

Camacho 2020!

blues
12-18-2019, 08:46 AM
And the citizenship test.

blues, I'm writing in my vote: It'll be a shit show no matter who wins.

Camacho 2020!

Little doubt of that, brother.

LittleLebowski
12-18-2019, 09:00 AM

This isn't going to show up on 538 is it?

I'd rather pay for a 9mm versus 45 poll :D

ccmdfd
12-18-2019, 09:05 AM
No option for giant meteorite or comet?

cc

Greg
12-18-2019, 09:36 AM
I don't see an option naming me "Benevolent Dictator" so I ain't playing.

Half Moon
12-18-2019, 10:02 AM

Oh sure! Just the same old corporatist binary caliber choices we get every election. We independents demand change!

2.7mm Kolibri for 2020!

Wondering Beard
12-18-2019, 11:23 AM

cc

My alternatives

https://pics.me.me/strange-women-lying-in-ponds-distributing-swords-2020-59216389.png

Or

GyroF-16
12-18-2019, 11:37 AM
I’d prefer a (R) president and a (R) congress.
Because that combination got so much done in 2017-18 [/s].

But it would make it easier to confirm the next SCOTUS appointment.

In my ideal world, it would be a non-Trump Republican president and a Republican-majority congress. And ideally the congress members with enough cooperative spirit to actually compromise and get bills and budgets passed in a timely manner. I know- that’s even less likely than a non-Trump Republican president.

Totem Polar
12-18-2019, 12:38 PM
edit: DEM congress plus President Bernie would be even better

Love you, Poot, but...

RevolverRob
12-18-2019, 01:20 PM

cc

#SMOD2020 (https://pistol-forum.com/usertag.php?do=list&action=hash&hash=SMOD2020) - https://twitter.com/smod4real?lang=en

It's obvious that what 'Merica needs is God's Cartridge, the .45 Automatic.

We don't need any of that foreign metric bullshit.

Every single American knows that...so the fact that you think there needs to be a discussion makes me question where you keep your little red book...comrade. :confused:

___

I'm with BBI's solution - lottery this bitch out. The person who doesn't want the job is the best person for it.

cheby
12-18-2019, 02:29 PM
Regarding the Independent option... What the f@ck are we talking about??? Is it something like day dreaming?

blues
12-18-2019, 03:45 PM
Regarding the Independent option... What the f@ck are we talking about??? Is it something like day dreaming?

Yep, that must be it. Because getting (other) people's opinions and points of view is pointless.

(You'll notice that there was no option for an "independent" congress since that clearly isn't in the cards. But what planet would you have to have been a resident of to believe that Donald Trump was a viable candidate for president prior to 2016? Maybe "The Apprentice" planet.)

Grey
12-18-2019, 04:18 PM
Damn blues thats a real turd sandwich you gave us for options...

Totem Polar
12-18-2019, 04:22 PM

To be fair, blues didn’t chef up the plate.

cheby
12-18-2019, 04:25 PM
(You'll notice that there was no option for an "independent" congress since that clearly isn't in the cards. But what planet would you have to have been a resident of to believe that Donald Trump was a viable candidate for president prior to 2016? Maybe "The Apprentice" planet.)

Trump would not have gotten elected if he ran as independent. I think while personalities matter, most people vote the party line. A lot of people voted/will vote for Trump (Squeezing their noses) just because the left is nuts and totally unacceptable.

Grey

Heh, for sure.

I'm with RJ, shit seemed to be better yesteryear in terms of people doing their job in politics, maybe I was just more naive to the corruption that is on 11 these days...?

blues

I'll admit, my culinary skills are limited. But I'm good for a cold one or something harder to help ease the pain.

blues
12-18-2019, 04:27 PM
Trump would not have gotten elected if he ran as independent. I think while personalities matter, most people vote the party line. A lot of people voted/will vote for Trump (Squeezing their noses) just because the left is nuts and totally unacceptable.

I don't disagree. I was interested in what people thought would be best, or prefer if they had their druthers. I'm not actually expecting or sanguine on the prospects of the next Ross Perot to run away with it.

Bigghoss
12-18-2019, 04:42 PM
Don't blame me, I voted for Kodos.

Borderland
12-18-2019, 04:46 PM
Yep, that must be it. Because getting (other) people's opinions and points of view is pointless.

Couldn't you say the same thing about a Biden presidency? Or maybe a Sanders presidency? It's a loser anyway you look at it.
I like BBI's idea. Let's have a lottery. Couldn't be any worse than what we've had for the last 19 years. We could let the NBA officiate and drug test.;)

PNWTO
12-18-2019, 05:23 PM
While I’m definitely more left-leaning than most here I’d be happy with a starter of term limits and ranked-choiced voting for all elections. The electoral college also needs some scrutiny. The debates also need a better format and nationally we all need to appreciate nuances, but that’s germane to another topic.

I just don’t see the values I hold being reflected currently in the GOP, it seems the party has left their way and is instead blindly behind Trump. I’ll wait for the GOP to find their azimuth again.

blues
12-18-2019, 05:49 PM
While I’m definitely more left-leaning than most here I’d be happy with a starter of term limits and ranked-choiced voting for all elections. The electoral college also needs some scrutiny. The debates also need a better format and nationally we all need to appreciate nuances, but that’s germane to another topic.

I just don’t see the values I hold being reflected currently in the GOP, it seems the party has left their way and is instead blindly behind Trump. I’ll wait for the GOP to find their azimuth again.

I honestly believe the terms "left" and "right" have lost most of their meaning and are vestigial rather than accurate portrayals of current political philosophy.

Neither (major) party, in my opinion, promotes the concept of individual freedoms nor the philosophy that "that government is best which governs least". Which is the party of liberty, equality, fraternity? Even the Libertarian party is out of step with the concept upon which it once stood.

Left, right, liberal, conservative are, in my view, archaic and no longer accurate ways to describe a particular perspective or philosophy. They have morphed into something unrecognizable over recent decades.

I find (virtually) as much objectionable behavior and policy on the right as the left. If only I could cherry pick the particular planks they would stand on. If only those who represent us would put the interests of the nation ahead of their personal and party agendas.

Yeah, right.

PNWTO
12-18-2019, 05:54 PM
... put the interests of the nation ahead of their personal and party agendas.

Yeah, right.

Very well said as usual from you.

I do try, poorly, to separate myself from party/philosophical labels but it is still what the world demands sometimes, sadly. Such an approach also begets single-issue voting, which I try not to look down upon.

TheNewbie
12-18-2019, 06:00 PM
I voted the first option, not because I love Republicans, but because I love goodness. They do less bad than the left does, which means more good happens.

The Republicans want too much government for my taste, but they still desire less power than the left does.

UNK
12-18-2019, 06:23 PM
If only those who represent us would put the interests of the nation ahead of their personal and party agendas.

Yeah, right.

And their wallets.

Totem Polar
12-18-2019, 06:33 PM
I’m pretty sure a bunch of us said this last time: They’re all a bunch of wealthy, authoritarian statists. Not a lick of difference between them. There might be a lick of difference between their RBG SCOTUS replacement choices. jMO.

blues
12-18-2019, 06:34 PM
And their wallets.

I think that would be reasonably included as a subset of "personal"...and I agree.

UNK
12-18-2019, 06:42 PM
People who pay attention are pissed. If that doesnt make a difference then nothing will.

Chance
12-18-2019, 06:49 PM

GardoneVT
12-18-2019, 07:02 PM
If only those who represent us would put the interests of the nation ahead of their personal and party agendas.

Yeah, right.

Quiet! That kind of talk will dent my Boeing Defense shares.Anyways, when are we invading Iraniraqifubaristan again?

Odin Bravo One
12-18-2019, 07:15 PM
What’s best isn’t on the list

blues
12-18-2019, 07:36 PM

Sorry. I don't pretend to be a professional pollster.

UNK
12-18-2019, 09:14 PM
Which is?

Totem Polar
12-18-2019, 09:18 PM

Good thing; I’m used to you being right much of the time. No reason to hang up your hat in favor of being wrong more often than not. ;)

Borderland
12-18-2019, 11:22 PM
I'm not going to vote in this poll until 10/2020. I need some time to think about it. ;)

cheby
12-19-2019, 01:50 AM
I'm not going to vote in this poll until 10/2020. I need some time to think about it. ;)

The last three years made everything absolutely clear for me

fixer
12-19-2019, 06:51 AM
I was looking for "reset button" or the derivative "ctrl-alt-delete".

Seriously...

I voted for the option which has a reasonable chance at accelerating this...

JHC
12-19-2019, 09:22 AM
Sometimes it appears the best progress possible from DC is doing no further harm; maybe why divided government has seemed consciously or unconsciously popular from the electorate. As often as they've split the legislative and execute branches between major parties.

Rex G
12-19-2019, 10:53 AM
In the context of the 2020 election, Republican President, and Republican Congress. Long-term, I believe that the Republicans would enslave us as surely as the Democrats, so an effective opposition is a necessary thing, in a two-party system.

Rex G
12-19-2019, 11:03 AM
I was looking for "reset button" or the derivative "ctrl-alt-delete".

Seriously...

I voted for the option which has a reasonable chance at accelerating this...

We just did this, in the city of Bellaire, Texas. Half the city council seats were up for election, and all three were won by insurgent candidates, rather than the established political elites. The city manager, a Californicator type, is, presumably, shopping his resume elsewhere, before there is an involuntary termination, a likely event after the next election, if not sooner.

The incumbent who was beaten by the most-outsider of the candidates was a Republican type, but she was certainly helping the Californicating city manager ruin our city.

These elections are non-partisan.

Edited to add: I am not saying that the city manager actually originated in CA. His overspending on specific things, however, has demonstrated West and East coast mindset.

Darth_Uno
12-19-2019, 02:28 PM
I’m pretty sure a bunch of us said this last time: They’re all a bunch of wealthy, authoritarian statists. Not a lick of difference between them. There might be a lick of difference between their RBG SCOTUS replacement choices. jMO.

That’s where I’m at. Trump’s going to win 2020. House and Senate? Hell, I don’t know. Either way we get 4 years of basically nothing (which isn’t the worst scenario), with the possible bonus of a conservative Supreme Court Justice. I’m ok with that.

Cookie Monster
12-19-2019, 02:52 PM
Where’s the “N/A” box? At this point the economics of running for President dooms us to narcissistic & vapid leadership regardless of party.

I wonder what else we could do with the 2 plus billion dollars that will be spent on trying to become President. It's a nuthouse out there.

Borderland
12-19-2019, 03:44 PM
I wonder what else we could do with the 2 plus billion dollars that will be spent on trying to become President. It's a nuthouse out there.

Give it to the voters for a signed, sealed, delivered vote. Basically a Trump style bribe. Put some spending money in the pockets of the voter. :D Tax cuts are basically the same thing except they just drive up the debt.

Borderland
12-19-2019, 07:09 PM

Professional pollster? What is that?

blues
12-19-2019, 07:35 PM

You probably want to talk to fellas like this:

https://theharrispoll.com/our-firm/#leadership-sec

Shoresy
12-19-2019, 07:52 PM

"Oh, a bullshit artist!"