PDA

View Full Version : The joys of the common gun...

Tamara
04-27-2012, 09:22 AM
My friend comes to pick me up at the airport in NH. We get to the car and I thread the holster on my belt and gas up my heater. Marko asks "Only one magazine?"

"Dude, it's a Glock 19; I figured I'd just pick another one up from your local gun shop while I was here, rather than unloading more to pack along."

NickA
04-27-2012, 09:27 AM
It is a beautiful thing when your most commonly needed item is basically a commodity that can be found at almost any sporting goods store.
On a side note, thought you were carrying an M&P?

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

Joe in PNG
04-27-2012, 09:54 AM
Lord, the joys of trying to find a mag for my Colt 1903 .32... Upon requesting a mag, the gunshop dude either:
1) Stares at me blankly, then says "a what now?"
2) Chuckles knowingly and wishes me luck.

Tamara
04-27-2012, 09:58 AM
On a side note, thought you were carrying an M&P?

I do. I left it at home because the Glock is essentially disposable.

(I traded a 3" RB/HB S&W Model 10 with the box & docs for a lightly used blue label Gen 3 G19 with three mags and nights. I had paid $250 for the Smith back in '03, so the Glock was as close to free as you can get a decent handgun for these days...)

NickA
04-27-2012, 10:22 AM
I do. I left it at home because the Glock is essentially disposable.
Aha. I'd make a snarky comment about it being disposable as opposed to the M&P, but I see what you mean, and I don't want to get out-snarked this early in the day :)

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

Jac
04-27-2012, 10:25 AM
...3" RB/HB S&W Model 10 with the box & docs... I had paid $250 for

I just had a tiny stroke.

jetfire
04-27-2012, 10:40 AM
I just had a tiny stroke.

phrasing

Al T.
04-27-2012, 11:51 AM
S&W Model 10

And you get 2.5 cylinders full of .35 caliber ammo per G19 magazine. Sometimes technology can be a good thing.

How deep is the snow? :D

Tamara
04-27-2012, 12:12 PM
How deep is the snow? :D
Didn't stick.

I've largely divested myself of newer S&W revos. These days, if it has a model number and less than five screws, I don't get too spun up about it (working guns excepted, of course.) ;)

EMC
04-27-2012, 01:54 PM
I'm a common gun convert myself. (See tagline).

Wondering Beard
04-27-2012, 05:38 PM
I don't get too spun up about it ;)

I see what you did there :cool:

GJM
04-27-2012, 06:11 PM
There is another reason to travel with a G19 -- it shoots most ammo, reasonably accurately and to the same POI. That can not be said for every M&P 9 I have tested.

Tamara
04-27-2012, 06:31 PM
There is another reason to travel with a G19 -- it shoots most ammo, reasonably accurately and to the same POI. That can not be said for every M&P 9 I have tested.

Not really a factor, since I brought ammo. It's not like I'm planning to be scrounging off dead Nazi zombie guards on vacation. If I need more than 50 rounds of Ranger T in the next week, I'm never coming back to New Hamster without a carbine. ;)

MikeyC
04-27-2012, 10:40 PM
I felt the same joy myself when I showed up for a Pistol class without my holster :o. Fortunately people usually have holsters that will fit a Glock 17

Chuck Haggard
04-28-2012, 03:54 AM
Not really a factor, since I brought ammo. It's not like I'm planning to be scrounging off dead Nazi zombie guards on vacation. If I need more than 50 rounds of Ranger T in the next week, I'm never coming back to New Hamster without a carbine. ;)

Much like the Spanish Inquisition http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uprjmoSMJ-o , no one PLANS on scrounging ammo off of dead nazi zombie guards.

Around here expecting to find a G19 mag on the shelf would be a bold assumption. Glad that worked out for you.

What's wrong with just bringing extra magazines?

I do get the joy of the common gun though.

Packy
04-28-2012, 06:02 AM
Most common gun would be..

I will just shoot the bad guy and take his extra mag... :o

Ga Shooter
04-28-2012, 06:43 AM

1. If you need more than 50 rounds of Ranger T and don't have it you may not make it out of NH

2. If you do make it out and needed that much amoo why ever go back with or without a carbine

3. Reference Map of dead and it looks like you might be ok

:p

Tamara
04-28-2012, 07:11 AM
What's wrong with just bringing extra magazines?

It was kind of a last minute thing. I just thumbed the rounds in the gun into my ammo can, and then tossed the pistol and a fresh box of Ranger into the case, more or less on the way out the door.