PDA

View Full Version : Glock G49 10mm

Center Shot
12-15-2019, 09:26 AM
Recoil magazine, has news of a possible leak, that Glock will release the G49 handgun soon. the G49 will be a 10mm with a 8 round magazine, possibly another addition to the Glock slim line. What do you think?

https://www.recoilweb.com/predictions-on-the-glock-44-3-other-upcoming-glocks-155146.html

HeavyDuty
12-15-2019, 09:31 AM
I mentioned this in the big new Glock thread the other day, and it was pointed out the model number shown doesn’t make sense for a 49. I’m still skeptical, but I would be interested if it is true - I’m moving to moose country.

GJM
12-15-2019, 09:34 AM
Capacity is one of the main arguments for a semi auto as a field handgun. Using the Givens analogy, 8+1 is a one bear gun, in a world where a sow often travels with two cubs.

Glenn E. Meyer
12-15-2019, 09:42 AM
One bear, is what I said in the other 10mm thread. Support the right to bear bear arms. I do find the analyses of the image seems to indicate a bogus job, but who knows.

Duelist
12-15-2019, 09:54 AM
Capacity is one of the main arguments for a semi auto as a field handgun. Using the Givens analogy, 8+1 is a one bear gun, in a world where a sow often travels with two cubs.

A lot of guys are walking around in the mountains with a 5 or 6 shot magnum revolver. Would a lighter weight 9 shot semiauto make sense then? I know you’re using a .45 USP with .45 Super loads in Alaska, but my personal travels are more likely to include multiple return trips to California that might also include visits to Washington, Idaho, Oregon, etc, than more than one lifetime visit (bucket list hunting trip, perhaps) to Alaska.

I’m much more likely to have to shoot an irritated range cow than a bear. I’m not thinking “ooh, 10mm is The Thing.” But I am thinking that a heavier caliber hiking pistol might be “A Good Thing,” and if so, it will probably be a semiauto and may well be a G30 simply due to availability, cost, weight. and familiarity, which would, with standard mags, be 10+1. I think round count might be, at some undefinable number, a matter of angels dancing on pin heads more than likely significant need.

Slim, light, 10mm might be on that list if it got out in the world and actually works with hardcast or Underwood penetrators. For now, I’m probably just gonna keep hiking with a 9mm Glock loaded with Underwood.

WobblyPossum
12-15-2019, 10:11 AM
I’d be surprised if they release a 10mm in that configuration before a .45 acp. Is the market really there for a slimline 10mm? It’s not exactly a popular cartridge.

GJM
12-15-2019, 10:14 AM
I’d be surprised if they release a 10mm in that configuration before a .45 acp. Is the market really there for a slimline 10mm? It’s not exactly a popular cartridge.

I don’t have time to respond to Duelist’s interesting post above, as I am on the way to a match, but the market for a single stack Glock 10 is probably a few dozen! That may change, though, after the next election.

Duelist
12-15-2019, 10:17 AM
I don’t have time to respond to Duelist’s interesting post above, as I am on the way to a match, but the market for a single stack Glock 10 is probably a few dozen! That may change, though, after the next election.

Good luck at the match!

GardoneVT
12-15-2019, 10:18 AM
Slim, light, 10mm might be on that list if it got out in the world and actually works with hardcast or Underwood penetrators.

Spoiler alert - it won’t. If the full size 10mms choke with that ammo, I doubt they’ll crack the code with a smaller & lighter gun.

Yes, but IMO not for charitable reasons. Lotsa guys carrying a big compact pistol to guard their ego, and a 10mm single stack loaded with the fastest bullet you can buy (or make) is just the accessory for a certain group of gun owners.

Bigghoss
12-15-2019, 11:31 AM

I just assumed it was a 10mm G36.

Clusterfrack
12-15-2019, 11:58 AM
I couldn't be less interested in a single stack compact 10mm Glock.

Based on my experience a G20 can be made to work (https://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?25552-10mm-200gr-Hardcast-Load&p=866746&viewfull=1#post866746) reliably with full power 10mm loads, but it takes aftermarket parts and a lot of testing. Even with a 24# RSA, the slide velocity makes feeding from stock magazines unreliable. Would a lighter slide on a single stack gun be an improvement? That seems unlikely, but I suppose it's possible.

The recoil on a G20 with full power loads is already quite stout, and followup shots are relatively slow. Shooting a G36 size gun with heavy 10mm seems unpleasant at best.

But all that isn't the real reason I won't be buying one in the unlikely event that Glock releases it. Just a few of many reasons I want ~15 rounds plus another 15 round reload when I'm in the backcountry... I've had encounters with:
-3 cougars 10 feet away in NV
-3 bears up close in MT
-3 carloads of tweakers blocking my family's vehicle in OR

And, I would way rather have 15 rounds of 9mm than 6-8 of 10mm, especially because Lehigh XP 9mm loads are available.

I do wonder if the releases of all these single stack handguns is due to companies covering the possibility of a nationwide AWB...

Dave T
12-15-2019, 01:10 PM
Lotsa guys carrying a big compact pistol to guard their ego...

Where exactly did you get your degree in psychology?

As for a single stack 10mm...not bloody likely. Nor will there be a single stack, full size 45 ACP. Not while 9mm is THE ANSWER to every question ever asked, or that will ever be asked for the foreseeable future.

Carefully guarding my ego with my 45 ACPs,
Dave

JHC
12-15-2019, 02:34 PM
A lot of guys are walking around in the mountains with a 5 or 6 shot magnum revolver. Would a lighter weight 9 shot semiauto make sense then? I know you’re using a .45 USP with .45 Super loads in Alaska, but my personal travels are more likely to include multiple return trips to California that might also include visits to Washington, Idaho, Oregon, etc, than more than one lifetime visit (bucket list hunting trip, perhaps) to Alaska.

I’m much more likely to have to shoot an irritated range cow than a bear. I’m not thinking “ooh, 10mm is The Thing.” But I am thinking that a heavier caliber hiking pistol might be “A Good Thing,” and if so, it will probably be a semiauto and may well be a G30 simply due to availability, cost, weight. and familiarity, which would, with standard mags, be 10+1. I think round count might be, at some undefinable number, a matter of angels dancing on pin heads more than likely significant need.

Slim, light, 10mm might be on that list if it got out in the world and actually works with hardcast or Underwood penetrators. For now, I’m probably just gonna keep hiking with a 9mm Glock loaded with Underwood.

I've owned a G20 and G21 and worked them fairly hard. Right about the time I started paying attention to measuring SHO/WHO and those two fatties were tough. If I had a 10mm use case, this G49 concept would appeal to me.

GardoneVT
12-15-2019, 03:01 PM
Where exactly did you get your degree in psychology?

The same place you got your tact. Or it could by my volunteer RSO experience seeing people handle guns of all shapes and sizes.

bravo7
12-15-2019, 07:23 PM
Ahhh...RSO = omnipotent......got it.

camsdaddy
12-15-2019, 07:32 PM
A few questions
Does it make sense to release a single stack 10mm?
Does Glock ever release what would make sense?
It could happen

GJM
12-15-2019, 07:45 PM
I think the argument for the semi-auto field pistol is as follows. For those of us annually shooting thousands, or tens of thousands of rounds through our semi-auto pistols, but only tens or hundreds of rounds through our revolvers, the semi-auto brings advantages in skill at arms. The semi-auto is usually lighter to carry, has better holster options like AIWB and ALS options, and probably is easier to maintain. The semi-auto is also more useful than a heavy revolver for non four legged threats. Finally, the semi-auto usually carries two to three times the payload of the heavy revolver.

Caliber is a two edged sword. On one hand, a larger caliber semi-auto may be more effective in stopping an animal attack. On the other hand, a larger caliber may be harder to shoot as fast, may carry fewer rounds, may be less reliable, may be harder to shoot with one hand which matters in a bear FUT, and may be less familiar than your 9mm primary service pistol. Related to stopping power, we know the statistics on defense against bears by handguns and long guns favor hand guns even in handgun service calibers not associated with bear defense. The reasons are multi fold — handguns are handier in bear attacks and most bears do not need to be killed to stop attacking you. Whether you end up choosing 9mm or something heavier like 10mm or .45 Super is a personal decision, and I am generally ambivalent as long as you pick a bullet with a good chance of penetrating a bear’s skull. I do note that some folks talk about 10mm as if it is a Brenneke slug or Garrett hard cast out of a .45-70. It isn’t!

Assuming this single stack Glock 10mm is real, and I seriously doubt it is, I am not enthusiastic both because of less rounds and my sense that a lighter/shorter pistol is unlikely to be conducive to reliability with heavy loads. I also suspect a light 10 would also make the marksmanship part harder.

ECVMatt
12-15-2019, 09:46 PM
I will be interested to what the gun looks like if it really is a 10mm. I have been shooting the Lehigh Defense Xtreme Penetrators in my 10mm with great success. I have not shot anything with a heart beat yet, but so far they seem to work the same if not better than my heavier/hardcast loads without all the drama. Recoil feels less, penetration is better, and they function 100%. I could seem them working nicely in a single stack 10mm.

As much as I like the 10mm, I would be surprised if they released one though.

We will see soon enough!

Take care to all.

GJM
12-15-2019, 10:32 PM
I will be interested to what the gun looks like if it really is a 10mm. I have been shooting the Lehigh Defense Xtreme Penetrators in my 10mm with great success. I have not shot anything with a heart beat yet, but so far they seem to work the same if not better than my heavier/hardcast loads without all the drama. Recoil feels less, penetration is better, and they function 100%. I could seem them working nicely in a single stack 10mm.

As much as I like the 10mm, I would be surprised if they released one though.

We will see soon enough!

Take care to all.

The Underwood loadings of the Lehigh Penetrators have worked in every caliber and platform I have tried them in. I have yet to experience the first stoppage in well over 1,000 of them in various different pistols. They ran in our G20 and 29 pistols, and are what I would carry in a Glock 20/29 if I wanted reliability in a penetrator load without drama.

Totem Polar
12-15-2019, 11:57 PM
I just assumed it was a 10mm G36.

Going OT for a sec: the G36 is already on the edge of reliability, and mine absolutely lunches recoil springs; a new spring assembly will easily pass the Glock RSA test (vertical; trigger back; goes into battery under RSA power only/no inertia) and will start failing the test within 250-300 rounds. I’m just having a hard time seeing that performance getting any better with 10mm. It’s like trying to engineer a 10mm officer model. I suspect the lower limit on slide mass was reached with the 29/29sf. JMO. A single/stagger-stack G20sf would probably check in around 8+1, assuming we all still believe the project to actually be a real thing.

JRB
12-16-2019, 02:00 AM
If this gun proves to actually exist, it's one of those guns that makes absolutely no friggin' sense logically but it pokes the 'this is really neat' button with me for some reason.

Anyone in their right mind would likely be better served by a G19, G20, or a USP45.
But guns don't always have to make sense, which is why I own a TAC-14 and a few AK's.

Sammy1
12-16-2019, 03:32 AM
My 629 4inch 44 mag at 41.5 oz gets carried less and less when I hike, hunt and or go in the woods. I'd love a single stack 10mm with 8 or 9 rounds, half the weight and slimmer than an N frame cylinder.

Navin Johnson
12-16-2019, 09:19 AM
If we look at factory loadings from major manufactures what does a 10mm bring to the party (especially an 8 round one) that a .40 does not? A 200gr bullet at 1125 vs a 180gr bullet at 1050? Especially if one looks at a service sized and weight pistol with 13-15 rounds on board. A 27 ounce full sized pistol in .40 is quite shootable. It seems the 10 is not bridging any gap between service calibers and magnum revolver calibers.

The 45 super is a step up. So are heavy loaded 10's that require fiddle-f***ing and $500 in ammo to verify function.

It seems a light weight 10 single stack even with mild ammo would be difficult to use.

rayrevolver
12-16-2019, 10:24 AM
If we look at factory loadings from major manufactures what does a 10mm bring to the party (especially an 8 round one) that a .40 does not? A 200gr bullet at 1125 vs a 180gr bullet at 1050? Especially if one looks at a service sized and weight pistol with 13-15 rounds on board. A 27 ounce full sized pistol in .40 is quite shootable. It seems the 10 is not bridging any gap between service calibers and magnum revolver calibers.

The 45 super is a step up. So are heavy loaded 10's that require fiddle-f***ing and $500 in ammo to verify function.

It seems a light weight 10 single stack even with mild ammo would be difficult to use.

Hornady & Federal 180gr go 1275 fps and 650 ftlbs. But why wouldn't you consider Corbon, Doubletap, Underwood, etc?

I sold off my 1991 G20 a few years ago. That pistol was 100% with a small sampling of DT offerings from 2005-2007 or so (135gr@1600, 180gr@1250, 230gr@1040), to include their hardcast 200gr (which I could have swore was called Beartooth). BUT, the chamber seemed loose and I got the Glock smiles really badly with almost everything I shot that was full power. It made me nervous, but maybe was more reliable as a result?

For grins, I would still like the new long slide 10mm Glock. In my mind, a single stack 10mm makes sense only to the guy who wants 1 concealable gun to rule them all... and then to take a hike in bear country.

Lester Polfus
12-16-2019, 10:48 AM
That pistol was 100% with a small sampling of DT offerings from 2005-2007 or so (135gr@1600, 180gr@1250, 230gr@1040), to include their hardcast 200gr (which I could have swore was called Beartooth).

That's exactly the problem. Small sample size. There's been a resurgence of late in the 10mm, largely among two groups: 1) Hunters who want a predator defense pistol and 2) gun bubbas who want to EDC "Something different." This is why companies like Speer and Federal have invested in new loads for the 10mm.

Rhino roller 10mm ammo is expensive and is typically a mail order proposition. Most Glock 20s will make it through a few magazines of most ammo. Quite a few of my conversations about the 10mm have gone like this: "I bought two boxes of Buffalo Bore/Underwood/etc. The first one shot fine so I loaded my magazine with the second."

I've often mentioned my issues getting the 10mm to run right with heavy loads and gotten the smug response "you must be limp wristing." But when I've gotten people to be honest with their round count, my sample size is quite literally an order of magnitude more than theirs.

Over about 10K rounds of 200 grain 10mm ammo of various bullet configurations, running over 1100 FPS, I got a 3 to 5% failure to feed rate spread across three guns. Dicking with recoil springs and such required me to start the test all over again, so I never really had a truly vetted pistol.

So what I'd wind up doing is constantly tinker with hot 200 grain loads, but wind up carrying 180 grain XTP which was more of a hot .40, because I knew the gun would run with that.

It sounds like the 4" 8-round Glock 10mm is a hoax, but I don't think it's out of the question that something like that might appear. Just because it's stupid doesn't mean it won't sell. I think gun manufacturers are looking for new little niches they can exploit, and get people who already own several handguns to say "Oh! I don't own one of THOSE!"

rayrevolver
12-16-2019, 11:45 AM
That's exactly the problem. Small sample size. There's been a resurgence of late in the 10mm, largely among two groups: 1) Hunters who want a predator defense pistol and 2) gun bubbas who want to EDC "Something different." This is why companies like Speer and Federal have invested in new loads for the 10mm.

Rhino roller 10mm ammo is expensive and is typically a mail order proposition. Most Glock 20s will make it through a few magazines of most ammo. Quite a few of my conversations about the 10mm have gone like this: "I bought two boxes of Buffalo Bore/Underwood/etc. The first one shot fine so I loaded my magazine with the second."

I've often mentioned my issues getting the 10mm to run right with heavy loads and gotten the smug response "you must be limp wristing." But when I've gotten people to be honest with their round count, my sample size is quite literally an order of magnitude more than theirs.

Over about 10K rounds of 200 grain 10mm ammo of various bullet configurations, running over 1100 FPS, I got a 3 to 5% failure to feed rate spread across three guns. Dicking with recoil springs and such required me to start the test all over again, so I never really had a truly vetted pistol.

So what I'd wind up doing is constantly tinker with hot 200 grain loads, but wind up carrying 180 grain XTP which was more of a hot .40, because I knew the gun would run with that.

It sounds like the 4" 8-round Glock 10mm is a hoax, but I don't think it's out of the question that something like that might appear. Just because it's stupid doesn't mean it won't sell. I think gun manufacturers are looking for new little niches they can exploit, and get people who already own several handguns to say "Oh! I don't own one of THOSE!"

My bust!!! Lol, you are right and I needed to be called out for my garbage statement on this great forum. If someone told me they shot one or two boxes of XYZ ammo, and it was good-to-go, I would question their experience.

Long story short, the G20 was my first handgun when I wasn't into shooting or handguns. A young impressionable lad. It started me on the path to both shooting and internet gun forums (I joined Glocktalk to learn at the "10 Ring" forum).

I didn't realize there was another 10mm resurgence happening. That said, I still have no mission that would require me to carry a 10mm.

Sammy1
12-16-2019, 12:55 PM

In my State, carrying a 40S&W during deer season is a no go. "Deer hunting is allowed only by shotgun, muzzleloading rifle, handguns in calibers .357 Magnum, 10mm Automatic, .41 Remington, .44 Magnum, .45 Long Colt, .480 Ruger or .50 Magnum"

You could make an argument you're carrying the 40S&W for personal protection but you'll by hassled by the warden.

the Schwartz
12-16-2019, 12:59 PM
Recoil magazine, has news of a possible leak, that Glock will release the G49 handgun soon. the G49 will be a 10mm with a 8 round magazine, possibly another addition to the Glock slim line. What do you think?

https://www.recoilweb.com/predictions-on-the-glock-44-3-other-upcoming-glocks-155146.html

As long as the soon-to-follow Glock 50 is chambered in .50 BMG, I am cool with anything good old Gaston wants to do with the Glock 49.

Lester Polfus
12-16-2019, 01:05 PM
My bust!!! Lol, you are right and I needed to be called out for my garbage statement on this great forum. If someone told me they shot one or two boxes of XYZ ammo, and it was good-to-go, I would question their experience.

Long story short, the G20 was my first handgun when I wasn't into shooting or handguns. A young impressionable lad. It started me on the path to both shooting and internet gun forums (I joined Glocktalk to learn at the "10 Ring" forum).

I didn't realize there was another 10mm resurgence happening. That said, I still have no mission that would require me to carry a 10mm.

I can't necessarily beat up on people who do that, and that certainly wasn't what I was trying to do to you.

If you told me "I bought a Glock 19 and two boxes of Speer Gold Dots. I shot one box and loaded my magazine with the other," I wouldn't really raise an eyebrow.

A 9mm Glock with Gold Dots has been beta-tested literally millions of times by various law enforcement agencies. It is a fundamentally sound choice. There's always a chance a person might get a bum pistol, or a bad lot of ammo, but that combination has a proven track record.

So I think people assume a certain false equivalency with the Glock 20. "It's a Glock so it must run, right?" The thing is, the gun was designed around the 10mm Lite loads. I don't think there are any major LE agencies offering it anymore, and the ones that did in the past didn't issue rhino roller ammo.

So that platform just isn't as well understood as the 9mm platform. I can totally get why people would assume they can stuff ammo in the butt and bullets will reliably come out of the muzzle, because that's what Glocks are known for.

mmc45414
12-16-2019, 02:05 PM
I do wonder if the releases of all these single stack handguns is due to companies covering the possibility of a nationwide AWB...
Possibly design projects that were put on hold after the 2016 election are being dusted off and finished.. :cool:

GJM
12-16-2019, 03:19 PM
Reading the tea leaves, Glock is as surprised as we are about this new product.

Wondering Beard
12-16-2019, 04:41 PM
The thing is, the gun was designed around the 10mm Lite loads. I don't think there are any major LE agencies offering it anymore, and the ones that did in the past didn't issue rhino roller ammo.

Was it really? I'm not being sarcastic or accusatory but that's not how I remember it.

I remember when it came out that the G20 was said to be designed to handle full power ammo. Mind you, we're not talking about the type of hard cast ammo that GJM was trying to make work on his way to find his anti-bear pistol, but rather the 180gr FMJs and HPs at about 1250fps produced at the time and, I think the routine change of recoil spring was at higher round count than the G22/23.

I think Frank James (RIP) was very happy with his G20 and full power loads (except perhaps for the size of the gun) and he was a 10mm fan (well mostly 41 magnum fan but he liked the 10mm a lot as I recall).

I could be wrong but I don't think that G20 was ever designed for the 10mm lite; actually, I think the 10mm lite loads came after the G20 was introduced and the FBI didn't like what full power loads were doing to their guns and agents.

Lester Polfus
12-16-2019, 05:04 PM
Was it really? I'm not being sarcastic or accusatory but that's not how I remember it.

I remember when it came out that the G20 was said to be designed to handle full power ammo. Mind you, we're not talking about the type of hard cast ammo that GJM was trying to make work on his way to find his anti-bear pistol, but rather the 180gr FMJs and HPs at about 1250fps produced at the time and, I think the routine change of recoil spring was at higher round count than the G22/23.

I think Frank James (RIP) was very happy with his G20 and full power loads (except perhaps for the size of the gun) and he was a 10mm fan (well mostly 41 magnum fan but he liked the 10mm a lot as I recall).

I could be wrong but I don't think that G20 was ever designed for the 10mm lite; actually, I think the 10mm lite loads came after the G20 was introduced and the FBI didn't like what full power loads were doing to their guns and agents.

My understanding is that by 1991 when the Glock 20 hit the market, the FBI had downloaded the 10mm round and the gun was built around that.

Given the convoluted history of all this, it's certainly possible I'm wrong.

I think it's worth noting that the 180 grain loads that run 1100 ish FPS are nothing to sneer about, and are perfectly adequate for lower 48 use. Like wise the gun will run pretty well with 200 grain JHP bullets at 1050 or so FPS.

There's nothing wrong with those ballistics, I just don't think the juice is worth the squeeze over running a .40 S&W or .45 ACP.

GJM
12-16-2019, 05:07 PM
I am told the 20 was designed around the full power Norma load.

Wondering Beard
12-16-2019, 05:15 PM
My understanding is that by 1991 when the Glock 20 hit the market, the FBI had downloaded the 10mm round and the gun was built around that.

Given the convoluted history of all this, it's certainly possible I'm wrong.

I think it's worth noting that the 180 grain loads that run 1100 ish FPS are nothing to sneer about, and are perfectly adequate for lower 48 use. Like wise the gun will run pretty well with 200 grain JHP bullets at 1050 or so FPS.

There's nothing wrong with those ballistics, I just don't think the juice is worth the squeeze over running a .40 S&W or .45 ACP.

Yeah, someone in the know is going to have to straighten out that timeline for us :-).

Personally, when it comes it shooting people, I don't think the 10mm and its ballistics are worth it. When it comes to shooting through hard stuff to get at the important internal bits (human and/or animal), then the 10mm has something to offer that may be better than the 40 or 45.

Wondering Beard
12-16-2019, 05:15 PM

That's the way I remember it.

Lester Polfus
12-16-2019, 05:25 PM

If that's the case they sure fucked it up!

I think with the heavy hard cast loads you and I have tried to get to run, it's a combination of the power level and the bullet profile that cause the problem. But even with a 200 grain XTP at 1200 fps, I had reliability issues. You can feel the slide kind of bottom out the stock RSA. It's a difficult thing to describe but you feel that the gun is running right at the ragged edge.

GJM
12-16-2019, 05:26 PM
I am also led to believe that Glock did no formal testing with wide meplat designer 10mm loads, so we are test pilots in that area.

Lester Polfus
12-16-2019, 05:34 PM

That's the way I remember it.

I am also led to believe that Glock did no formal testing with wide meplat designer 10mm loads, so we are test pilots in that area.

I think I was under the impression it was designed around the original spec loads until this discussion with SLG (https://pistol-forum.com/archive/index.php/t-16428.html), so who knows...

I certainly share your suspicion that Glock has not considered wide meplat loads.

In the early aughties, I had a Delta Elite that would run 200 grain hardcast. The key to the reliability wasn't in the recoil spring, it was in the geometry of the firing pin stop and the mainspring weight, both parameters are a way to tune slide velocity that we don't have in the Glock platform. I would say that I had far fewer rounds through that gun than the Glocks. I gave up the 1911 platform, thinking I would run Glock 9mms in town and Glock 10mm in the woods.

Lester Polfus
12-16-2019, 06:10 PM
Hey! We've got a 40 post thread about a gun that doesn't even exist.

Is that a p-f record or what?

JHC
12-17-2019, 06:48 AM
Hey! We've got a 40 post thread about a gun that doesn't even exist.

Is that a p-f record or what?

It it ain't it ought to be! (I mean the thread record, not the pistol ;) )

rayrevolver
12-17-2019, 07:41 AM
Boom, another post!

Lester, from what I remember the general idea was to run a 22 or 24lb recoil spring when going full power. In your testing did you find that helped? And I suppose this would indicate the G20 was designed around the FBI load vice Norma.

I did run the ISMI spring, just can’t remember if it was the 22 or 24lb. Again based on Glocktalk recommendations.

I also bought a cheap FAC threaded barrel to better support the cases. While the Glock smiles went away the malfunctions showed up. I ended up using the stock barrel and not keeping any brass.

A coworker has the G40 and shoots a lot. I will go ping him today. But I bet his round count with 10mm is low.

Bobert1035
12-17-2019, 10:31 AM
Are there any other concealable or somewhat compact 10mm pistols out there currently? Same with a midsize 45? {Other than a 1911 variant}

I'm just curious as Glock seems to always let the other companies test the waters with new offerings before jumping in.

I have no info/interest in this other than curiosity as a Glock fan

El Cid
12-17-2019, 11:08 AM
Boom, another post!

Lester, from what I remember the general idea was to run a 22 or 24lb recoil spring when going full power. In your testing did you find that helped? And I suppose this would indicate the G20 was designed around the FBI load vice Norma.

I did run the ISMI spring, just can’t remember if it was the 22 or 24lb. Again based on Glocktalk recommendations.

I also bought a cheap FAC threaded barrel to better support the cases. While the Glock smiles went away the malfunctions showed up. I ended up using the stock barrel and not keeping any brass.

A coworker has the G40 and shoots a lot. I will go ping him today. But I bet his round count with 10mm is low.

I'm running a 22lb RSA from NDZ in my G40. It definitely helps with the more stout loads. For me those are the Underwood 140g Extreme Penetrator and the Fed 180gr Trophy Bonded JSP. I have tested BB hard cast successfully, and plan to try Underwoods new hard cast loads one of these days.

Clusterfrack
12-17-2019, 12:36 PM
Here's the parts list for my Gen4 Glock 20 that yielded reliable function with heavy 10mm loads:

-24# ISMI recoil spring, Glockmeister captured guiderod
-460 Rowland mag spring. This holds 13 rounds, reloadable.
-460 Rowland mag shim set to prevent damage to magazine and keep mag from dropping out when you fire full power loads.
https://www.460rowland.com/product/460-rowland-glock-21-magazine-shim-set/
-Zev aluminum mag release

cheby
12-17-2019, 07:30 PM
the Fed 180gr Trophy Bonded JSP.
How many rounds of this ammo did you shoot? This ammo does not run in my G20 Gen 4. I have shot around 250 rds of it to test with different recoil springs. I would get 1 FTF in about 50rds. It is expensive to test the hot boutique 10mm ammo properly. Shooting a box is not enough in my experience. I have not tried the magazine modification yet.

El Cid
12-17-2019, 08:24 PM
How many rounds of this ammo did you shoot? This ammo does not run in my G20 Gen 4. I have shot around 250 rds of it to test with different recoil springs. I would get 1 FTF in about 50rds. It is expensive to test the hot boutique 10mm ammo properly. Shooting a box is not enough in my experience. I have not tried the magazine modification yet.

Totally agree. Just checked my log. I’ve shot 180 rounds of the Troohy Bonded. That must be a sign from the gods right? Lol! It’s never hiccuped. The first 60 of it was with the OEM RSA. Total round count for the gun is now at 3,057. Mostly light stuff but that includes 260 rounds of the Underwood 140 EP.

I don’t have a G20 but I do have a G21. The slide on the G40 is noticeably heavier. In fact with lighter 10mm loads it can be sluggish.

cheby
12-17-2019, 08:28 PM
Totally agree. Just checked my log. I’ve shot 180 rounds of the Troohy Bonded. That must be a sign from the gods right? Lol! It’s never hiccuped. The first 60 of it was with the OEM RSA. Total round count for the gun is now at 3,057. Mostly light stuff but that includes 260 rounds of the Underwood 140 EP.

I don’t have a G20 but I do have a G21. The slide on the G40 is noticeably heavier. In fact with lighter 10mm loads it can be sluggish.

Interesting. Perhaps, a G40 is better with hotter ammo.

El Cid
12-17-2019, 08:37 PM
Interesting. Perhaps, a G40 is better with hotter ammo.

It’s a logical conclusion. Of course the trade off is walking around the woods with a larger and heavier pistol.

PNWTO
12-18-2019, 02:49 PM
It’s a logical conclusion. Of course the trade off is walking around the woods with a larger and heavier pistol.

This is why I’m always keen to watch these conversations to see if any G29 details pop up as size matters with the terrain I deal with. But... then I always go back to Lost River and the idea that a G30 with +P is probably a better fit for me.

TicTacticalTimmy
12-18-2019, 03:12 PM
Are there any other concealable or somewhat compact 10mm pistols out there currently? Same with a midsize 45? {Other than a 1911 variant}

I'm just curious as Glock seems to always let the other companies test the waters with new offerings before jumping in.

I have no info/interest in this other than curiosity as a Glock fan

Tanfoglio Witness in steel or plastic frames.

I have the full size 10mm steel frame and really like it. Handles recoil well and more reliable than the G20 I used to own. Biggest downside is the front sight is milled into the frame so cannot be changed out.

GJM
12-18-2019, 03:20 PM
This is why I’m always keen to watch these conversations to see if any G29 details pop up as size matters with the terrain I deal with. But... then I always go back to Lost River and the idea that a G30 with +P is probably a better fit for me.

Tanfoglio Witness in steel or plastic frames.

I have the full size 10mm steel frame and really like it. Handles recoil well and more reliable than the G20 I used to own. Biggest downside is the front sight is milled into the frame so cannot be changed out.

My wife and I have at least a half dozen each of Glock 20 and 29 pistols, in Gen 3 and 4 form, have tried various barrels and RSA combinations, and not a single one is reliable to our standards with wide meplat, high power factor ammo. They all run with XTP factory and Underwood Lehigh loads.

There is a mid size pistol model, that I have vetted a half dozen of with 45 Super ammo and it is the HK45C (not the USP 45 C). It is a fantastic field pistol, with great holster (AIWB and ALS) options, good sight options, excellent magazines in 8 and 10 round capacity. This pistol has been vetted by serious military users.

PNWTO
12-18-2019, 03:30 PM
There is a mid size pistol model, that I have vetted a half dozen of with 45 Super ammo and it is the HK45C (not the USP 45 C). It is a fantastic field pistol, with great holster (AIWB and ALS) options, good sight options, excellent magazines in 8 and 10 round capacity. This pistol has been vetted by serious military users.

The other outdoorsy bonuses I see with the 45C are a generous trigger guard and the paddle mag release.

If you ever get a chance to attend a Bill Rapier class, he was very involved with the testing of the HK45C for his JSOC unit. The other pistols evaluated were the P220 and the G21/G30, IIRC. He is very complimentary of the 45C.

Lester Polfus
12-18-2019, 06:11 PM
If I ever go back to an autopistol for field carry, it will be a HK, for all the reasons articulated by GJM and PNWTO.

JRB
12-19-2019, 05:26 AM
If I ever go back to an autopistol for field carry, it will be a HK, for all the reasons articulated by GJM and PNWTO.

Nothing like getting over 50 posts in about a Glock that doesn't exist, only to conclude that an existing oft-tested HK just does it all better.

Especially now that JMCK is making HK45C holsters again.

Tod-13
12-19-2019, 09:07 AM

"If my memory serves me..."

The wide frontal loads did not exist at the time--or at least were so rare that I hadn't seen them. The gold standard back then was the Norma 200 grain. (Glock 20 released in 1990. Double Tap ammo started in 2002. Buffalo Bore started in 1997.)

One other thing to be aware of, if you're looking at Double Tap ammo, their stuff can be hideously out of spec in terms of cartridge profile/dimensions. Back in the late 90s or early 00s I bought a case of 9x25 from them that had to be returned since nothing would feed. When contacted they took the return easily enough but basically said sometimes they ship large amounts of ammo (usually 9x25 and sometimes 10mm) that are just out of dimensional spec. So, sometimes, it might not be the gun.

Center Shot
01-01-2020, 11:59 AM
Any info on any new Glock models besides the G44? If Glock was going to announce any new models it seems like they would do it before shot show (less than 3 weeks away).

Maybe Big T knows!

BigT
01-01-2020, 01:18 PM
I'm not aware of anything short term

TheNewbie
01-01-2020, 01:33 PM

Long term? ¿Si?

Nightvisionary
01-01-2020, 05:47 PM
If this gun proves to actually exist, it's one of those guns that makes absolutely no friggin' sense logically but it pokes the 'this is really neat' button with me for some reason.

Anyone in their right mind would likely be better served by a G19, G20, or a USP45.
But guns don't always have to make sense, which is why I own a TAC-14 and a few AK's.

Before we ask why this should or should not exist perhaps we should take note of the large number of choices we have when shopping for 2 inch barreled 357 Magnum revolvers.

Center Shot
01-01-2020, 08:14 PM

I was hoping for the G46 with rotary barrel, or the rumored G49 10mm Auto!

HeavyDuty
09-29-2020, 02:22 PM
In my State, carrying a 40S&W during deer season is a no go. "Deer hunting is allowed only by shotgun, muzzleloading rifle, handguns in calibers .357 Magnum, 10mm Automatic, .41 Remington, .44 Magnum, .45 Long Colt, .480 Ruger or .50 Magnum"

You could make an argument you're carrying the 40S&W for personal protection but you'll by hassled by the warden.

Sorry to bump up such an old post, but I have a question that is on point (for me, anyways.) Using my mad analyst skillz I’m pretty sure you’re in my new state. I’m a photographer; if I’m out in the sticks during deer season with a 9mm, .357 SIG or .45 ACP being carried for personal and wildlife defense am I going to catch grief from the fish cops?

mmc45414
09-29-2020, 04:07 PM
Sorry to bump up such an old post, but I have a question that is on point (for me, anyways.) Using my mad analyst skillz I’m pretty sure you’re in my new state. I’m a photographer; if I’m out in the sticks during deer season with a 9mm, .357 SIG or .45 ACP being carried for personal and wildlife defense am I going to catch grief from the fish cops?
I aint Sammy, and I dunno squat about NH, but I think probably just the opposite. If you are not licensed to hunt you probably don't want to be toting hunting gear, specifically a hunting gun. I am just going from what would be the case here in Ohio, here you are allowed to be carrying your defensive pistol, even (I think) when you are bowhunting. What gets fuzzy is if you do not have a tag and have a handgun that would be legal to hunt with. If you are hunting and have a legal hunting implement you are covered, so packing your 9mm is probably not gonna be an issue, carrying a Super Blackhawk with a scope on it for "defense" probably would be questioned :cool:

Sammy1
09-29-2020, 07:27 PM

No, just the opposite. If you're not hunting than no one will bother you.

HeavyDuty
09-29-2020, 09:58 PM
No, just the opposite. If you're not hunting than no one will bother you.

Ok, thanks - the way you phrased it made me wonder.

TC215
05-04-2022, 02:53 PM
Larry Vickers posted this earlier. Not a 10mm.

https://i.imgur.com/RohTPof.jpg

Thy.Will.Be.Done
05-04-2022, 02:57 PM

Looks like they finally made the reverse G19X, it would have been problematic to name it the G19L?

Am I the only one who feels these are a VERY lazy attempt at appeasing those who have asked for years to do this? I mean, you can't even come out with a new frame mold to have full length dustcover? If they released G17 that had short dust cover people I'm sure would lose their minds.

G19Fan
05-04-2022, 03:06 PM
Looks like they finally made the reverse G19X, it would have been problematic to name it the G19L?

Am I the only one who feels these are a VERY lazy attempt at appeasing those who have asked for years to do this? I mean, you can't even come out with a new frame mold to have full length dustcover? If they released G17 that had short dust cover people I'm sure would lose their minds.

This is just lazy...I would buy a g26x though

steve
05-04-2022, 03:22 PM
The gun that was in demand when the 19X came out and everyone said they wanted instead of a 19X.. If it truly is a 17 slide on a 19 frame the sales will be disappointing.

G19Fan
05-04-2022, 03:26 PM
The gun that was in demand when the 19X came out and everyone said they wanted instead of a 19X.. If it truly is a 17 slide on a 19 frame the sales will be disappointing.

Personally agreed. Had a grip chopped G17 and hated the balance of it. I was one of those that thought G19X and G45 were silly. Till I shot one. If I could conceal them I would likely carry one of those. vs the G19 (which I absolutely love)

JHC
05-04-2022, 03:31 PM

OMFG a single stack 10mm Glock has been on my Grail list for years.

However since then I've concluded the 10mm is pretty much Meh vs .40. So there's that.

I think that's a great product to bring out though.

I'd rather see a G43/43X .22 now. Must be a sign of my mid 60's. LOL

pastaslinger
05-04-2022, 04:33 PM
I'd rather see a gen 5 G35 with a window cut than a single stack 10mm and I love shooting 10mm

LOKNLOD
05-04-2022, 04:59 PM
If they released G17 that had short dust cover people I'm sure would lose their minds.

Isn't that the G47?

The G45, G47, and this G49 are the natural parts-bin swap configurations that come about from the Gen5 locking block standardization.
G45 - 17 frame with short dust cover to accept 19 slide
G47 - 17 frame with short dust cover, uses 17 slide with extended recoil spring tube to fit short dust cover. Can accept 19-length slide.
G49 - 19 frame, 17 slide with extended spring tube. Could also accept 19 slide.

Randy Harris
05-04-2022, 05:10 PM
So it is a gen5 17 upper on a gen5 19 lower ....or essentially this that Suarez has been doing for over a year now (in both Gen 3 and 4/5) and just recently discontinued?......88428

duke_39a
05-04-2022, 05:40 PM
I fully support a G19L if that is what this really is. I was in the process of building one with a polymer 80 lower receiver and a Brownell’s slide but abandoned that project.

I can’t understand the use case for a slim 10mm over putting out G20/21s in a Gen 5 configuration with MOS options. I would buy a Gen 5 G20 MOS as soon as it hit the shelves. I’m done buying iron sighted guns. Optic ready is the way to go for me.

HCM
05-04-2022, 06:09 PM

Look carefully at the front of the slide in the photo. That is a G47 slide on a 19 frame - so 17 length but uses the G19 RSA.

Kind of a yawn.

HCM
05-04-2022, 06:11 PM
Isn't that the G47?

The G45, G47, and this G49 are the natural parts-bin swap configurations that come about from the Gen5 locking block standardization.
G45 - 17 frame with short dust cover to accept 19 slide
G47 - 17 frame with short dust cover, uses 17 slide with extended recoil spring tube to fit short dust cover. Can accept 19-length slide.
G49 - 19 frame, 17 slide with extended spring tube. Could also accept 19 slide.

Yup.

Thy.Will.Be.Done
05-04-2022, 06:22 PM
So it is a gen5 17 upper on a gen5 19 lower ....or essentially this that Suarez has been doing for over a year now (in both Gen 3 and 4/5) and just recently discontinued?......88428

Appears to be the same beast essentially, he's been on this train for about a decade now I remember. Seems they haven't been huge sellers for him to dump them...

steve
05-04-2022, 06:50 PM
Look carefully at the front of the slide in the photo. That is a G47 slide on a 19 frame - so 17 length but uses the G19 RSA.

Kind of a yawn.

Ok, so you could slide swap G45 19 and this? Would it be productive for them to make the 17 slide fit this also for the ability to LEGO your Glocks? I like the lego concept but the 19 frame with a 17 size slide meh.

JSGlock34
05-04-2022, 07:20 PM
Ok, so you could slide swap G45 19 and this? Would it be productive for them to make the 17 slide fit this also for the ability to LEGO your Glocks? I like the lego concept but the 19 frame with a 17 size slide meh.

Yes, you could put a G19/45 slide on this, or the G47/G49 slide on the G19/G45 frame. They already make the G17 length slide - that's the Glock 47. It's just not commercially available.
https://www.tactical-life.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/8/2019/04/glock-47-cbp19.jpg

HCM
05-04-2022, 07:29 PM

Yes. As @LOKNLOAD broke down above.

The 47 and 49 slides appear to be the same slide with different markings just as the G19/G45 slides are the same slide with different markings.

HeavyDuty
05-04-2022, 08:44 PM
I kinda like the idea.

YVK
05-04-2022, 09:52 PM
G48 called and asked why everyone was bitching about its G43 recoil assembly.

Hstanton1
05-04-2022, 10:42 PM
Slight thread drift, but are G47s experiencing similar issues to G48s due to the downsized RSA?

TheNewbie
05-04-2022, 11:34 PM
Will the Glock 50 be a single stack .45?

jellydonut
05-05-2022, 12:44 AM
I wonder when these are releasing. Kinda regret ordering a 19 MOS now.. it would be far more efficient to own a G45 and then this.

Jared
05-05-2022, 02:00 AM
So, if I wanted to “try it before I buy it” could I pop my G17.5 top end on my G19.5 frame and shoot it some? I realize there would be a gap in front of the dustcover, but firing it in that configuration wouldn’t actually hurt anything right?

DpdG
05-05-2022, 05:19 AM
Slight thread drift, but are G47s experiencing similar issues to G48s due to the downsized RSA?

The G47 is generally only in DHS hands, and I'm not privy to their data, but I don't think what you describe is likely. The G48 uses a G43/43x recoil assembly, which is so short that its window of operation (margins for error) with 9mm is very narrow, hence the "issues." The G47 uses a G19 recoil assembly, which is....well vetted. The theory of short recoil assemblies for overall slide length is well tested in the G34/35/17L family with good success, it's just the super short slimline assembly required some compromises to make it fit the physical space available.

DpdG
05-05-2022, 05:23 AM
So, if I wanted to “try it before I buy it” could I pop my G17.5 top end on my G19.5 frame and shoot it some? I realize there would be a gap in front of the dustcover, but firing it in that configuration wouldn’t actually hurt anything right?

I was told not to, as although the G5 has standardized locking blocks, the 17.5 has longer forward frame rails that will bottom out in the 19.5 slide. Allegedly you can dremel the 17.5 frame rails to 19 length, but I've not seen first person evidence that it actually works.

HeavyDuty
05-05-2022, 07:04 AM
The more I think about this, the more I like the concept. Then again, I’ve always been intrigued by CCO designs, and have fooled with my own 19 slide on 26 frame contraptions. This would make a good non-compensated 19 carry alternative, especially with irons.

HeavyDuty
05-05-2022, 07:07 AM
Will the Glock 50 be a single stack .45?

Something else I’ve always wanted to see - maybe not a true single stack, but a “thin 21” with 10 round capacity. I’m not sure whether slide velocities with a 41 thickness but 21 length slide would work out, though.

RAM Engineer
05-05-2022, 07:12 AM
I wouldn’t kick a wide body 43x out of bed: G26 slide, G19 grip

El Cid
05-05-2022, 07:58 AM
I used a Gen 3 frame and the Brownells kit to make something like this. It made sense back when iron sights were king - longer sight radius, longer bbl tucked IWB, with shorter G19 grip. But now we know red dots on pistols do better with shorter slides, so I'm not sure this will be a hot seller. But hey, Glock seems to sell literally everything they make so who knows...

And I agree with the others who said this should have been named the G19L. But then my favorite Glock to date is the G17L which I'm still impatiently waiting for them to make in a Gen 4 or 5 version.

Kyle Reese
05-05-2022, 08:29 AM

We’ve fielded several hundred G47s since Jan 2021, and overall we’ve been very happy with them. My work gun (G47-ACRO P1-TLR1) has north of 25,000 rounds through it (shot almost daily on the range) and there have been no issues with the RSA at any point.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk