PDA

View Full Version : Glasses

MTechnik
03-14-2011, 01:50 PM
I'm an astigmatism "sufferer" so I always have glasses, always wear them. They're always the polycarbonate shatter-proof lens, so I always said "good enough, I don't need safety glasses!"

But the amount of eye left exposed, and as I adopt more leaning-forward stances, I find myself looking over the glasses sometimes. Now, if it's bright, and I'm wearing my maui jims, all is covered, all is good.

Do you normal glasses wearers wearers wear special shooting glasses? Where do you get them without paying an arm and a leg? Do you buy shooting goggles with prescription inserts? Can you see when in an aggressively forward stance, or does the frame get in the way?

I wonder if I should just get some maui jims and put clear lenses in them......

Savage Hands
03-14-2011, 01:56 PM
I'm an astigmatism "sufferer" so I always have glasses, always wear them. They're always the polycarbonate shatter-proof lens, so I always said "good enough, I don't need safety glasses!"

But the amount of eye left exposed, and as I adopt more leaning-forward stances, I find myself looking over the glasses sometimes. Now, if it's bright, and I'm wearing my maui jims, all is covered, all is good.

Do you normal glasses wearers wearers wear special shooting glasses? Where do you get them without paying an arm and a leg? Do you buy shooting goggles with prescription inserts? Can you see when in an aggressively forward stance, or does the frame get in the way?

I wonder if I should just get some maui jims and put clear lenses in them......

I have this problem as well, so i'm looking for answers.

Rverdi
03-14-2011, 02:10 PM
Contact lenses and full wrap shooting glasses.

vcdgrips
03-14-2011, 02:51 PM
What Rich said. I also I have a set of 1974 style "Dirty Harry" Aviators with a Yellow and Rose Colored sunglass clip. The set up was under 150.00 and the large lenses size protects my eyes well.

jdavis
03-14-2011, 03:12 PM
I use Revision Sawfly with Rx insert great company to do business with and they take care of our troops

Cowtown44
03-14-2011, 03:59 PM
ESS Crossbows with Rx inserts. They take a little getting used to but not much worse than acclimating to a new Rx in "regular" glasses. Worth a try.

Rverdi
03-14-2011, 04:16 PM
I also have a friend who hates contacts and wears Oakley M frames with RX inserts.
He loves them but they're pretty pricey.

TAP
03-14-2011, 04:35 PM
I have a few friends who wear Rudy Project glasses and they speak very highly of them. I know one of the guys has RX inserts and he seems to like them. They are expensive but there are some promotion codes floating around for 30-40% off.

jslaker
03-14-2011, 06:02 PM
The issue I run into is that most wrap around glasses like Oakleys are too tight to fit my fat head comfortably. :cool:

willowofwisp
03-14-2011, 07:35 PM
I wear my eye glasses when shooting in competition but when I'm at the range running drills or just shooting i wear my contacts with native glasses

YVK
03-14-2011, 08:17 PM
I have Oakley X-metal with Oakley prescription lenses, Oakley M-frames with prescription lenses (inserts cut into the wraparound part) and a pair of ESS glasses with prescription. I've not had much issues with looking over or frame blocking, but I also use a retention strap for anything other than static shooting.

Oakley has a better glass - slightly, and I could deal with extra cost, but I don't like their CS so I am going to stick with ESS from now on, they have been more than adequate.

I also shoot uncorrected fairly regularly - you can't be sure you'll have time to put glasses on or if they won't be knocked out, can you? Funny thing is that short-distance accuracy doesn't suffer at all since with my myopia I can pretty much concentrate only on front sight and nothing else.