PDA

View Full Version : Glock & Springfield .40 to 9 Conversion

spence
12-12-2019, 09:57 AM
I didn't find a whole lot on the subject searching, so I'll have to ask the group.

I've got a couple .40's that I've dropped 9mm barrels in, namely an XD40 and gen 3 Glock 22. I haven't shot either much converted, and haven't had any problems per say, other than not ejecting nearly as positively. I'm needing to order some other items, and was going to grab a new recoil spring/guide rod, especially for the Glock, but the ones I'm finding state they're for numerous Glock models, including both 22 and 17.

I'm not as concerned about it with the XD, but still wouldn't mind getting a reduced power spring. The search I did is showing similar results - same spring power for 9mm, .40, and .357 Sig.

Thanks.

deputyG23
12-12-2019, 10:39 AM
I didn't find a whole lot on the subject searching, so I'll have to ask the group.

I've got a couple .40's that I've dropped 9mm barrels in, namely an XD40 and gen 3 Glock 22. I haven't shot either much converted, and haven't had any problems per say, other than not ejecting nearly as positively. I'm needing to order some other items, and was going to grab a new recoil spring/guide rod, especially for the Glock, but the ones I'm finding state they're for numerous Glock models, including both 22 and 17.

I'm not as concerned about it with the XD, but still wouldn't mind getting a reduced power spring. The search I did is showing similar results - same spring power for 9mm, .40, and .357 Sig.

Thanks.
That is correct. Glock factory recoil springs are specific to frame sizes and some generations, but not by caliber.
Someone else may be able to advise you on the various aftermarket recoil springs available. I have no experience with aftermarket Glock parts.

spence
12-12-2019, 11:06 AM
Well, that more or less answers my question. I might just order a new factory spring to run specifically with the 9mm barrel. Gun is 13 years old or so, but it never had all that many rounds put through it. Having brass barely poop out of the chamber right on top of the slide of the pistol isn't something I care for, especially if it's someone else shooting it.

HopetonBrown
12-12-2019, 02:51 PM
Change the ejector to 9mm

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1004268721

If I remember correctly the founder of this forum said that the Glock 9mm was designed for hot NATO ammo, and was oversprung.

I use a 13 lbs recoil spring in my G17s and G34, as do many of the people I shoot with. The OEM is 17 or 18 lbs.

Norville
12-12-2019, 03:56 PM

If I remember correctly the founder of this forum said that the Glock 9mm was designed for hot NATO ammo, and was oversprung.

I use a 13 lbs recoil spring in my G17s and G34, as do many of the people I shoot with. The OEM is 17 or 18 lbs.

This mirrors my experience. I converted a .40 to 9mm, but I swapped slides instead of a conversion barrel.

I run a 13 lb spring with a steel guide rod in my USPSA Glocks, but factory RSA in a carry gun.

JHC
12-12-2019, 04:28 PM

Thanks.

Are these 9mm barrels specifically "conversion" barrels? Not just 9mm barrels for 9mm pistols.

spence
12-12-2019, 07:46 PM
Are these 9mm barrels specifically "conversion" barrels? Not just 9mm barrels for 9mm pistols.

Yes, XD40 4" to 9mm, Storm Lake type, and G22 to 9mm barrel, Wolf threaded type.

spence
12-12-2019, 07:53 PM

Good to know, wish I would have two days ago, just got a spanky new chrono gifted from Santa from Midway. Would have gotten one of those ordered while at it.

Next stupid question - in my internet search, I only saw stock springs, where does one find reduced power recoil spring/guide rods/assembly, especially for gen 3?

HopetonBrown
12-12-2019, 08:13 PM
Ben Stoeger, Frank Proctor, Taran Butler all sell them on their websites. There's a guy on eBay who sells them with a ISMI spring for $16 delivered. I haven't tried them though.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/GTG-Stainless-Steel-Guide-Rod-Assembly-For-GLOCK-Models-Gen-1-3-Choose-/302184224950

Exiledviking
12-13-2019, 01:04 AM
Good to know, wish I would have two days ago, just got a spanky new chrono gifted from Santa from Midway. Would have gotten one of those ordered while at it.

Next stupid question - in my internet search, I only saw stock springs, where does one find reduced power recoil spring/guide rods/assembly, especially for gen 3?MidwayUSA has both the spring and recoil spring guide rod.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1004104740?pid=114642

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/2381112233?pid=112232

JHC
12-13-2019, 06:50 AM
Yes, XD40 4" to 9mm, Storm Lake type, and G22 to 9mm barrel, Wolf threaded type.

Cool. I'll be watching closely as I may soon be setting up an RTF2 G22 for 9mm use (because my RTF2 G17 is such a spectacular shooter.)

Alpha Sierra
12-13-2019, 06:57 AM

Almost all service pistols are oversprung, not just Glocks.

I don't know what the rate is for the OEM recoil springs in my CZ P-09 and P-10F, but both are much heavier than they need to be and I've replaced them with lighter ones. The pistols still function 100% with ammo that has a power factor between 130 and 140 (both factory and reloads) and I hardly ever clean them.

The lighter springs (15 lbs/in in the P-09 and 13 lbs/in in the P-10) pretty much eliminate muzzle dip when the slide goes into battery.

bigsteve113
12-14-2019, 08:46 PM
I run my Gen 4 G23 with my Lone Wolf .40-9mm conversion barrel with the .40 RSA. The Gen 4’s do have caliber specific RSA’s. I’ve got about a thousand rounds through it now with zero malfunctions. I actually have G19 RSA’s because I have a G19, but I never saw the need to use a 9mm RSA when running the G23 converted to 9mm.

I also run my Gen 2 G23 with that same LW conversion barrel. The Gen 2 RSA is not caliber specific. Not as many rounds through it, but zero malfunctions there too !

When converting either of my G23’s to 9mm, I change barrel and mags only, and I’ve never had a problem. Lot’s of folks say change the extractor, RSA, and ejector for reliability. Or say that they would never carry one converted for defense. But after several hundred rounds of flawless, various 9mm rounds through the pipe, how much more reliability do folks expect ?

babypanther
12-15-2019, 12:36 AM
I converted my G22 Gen4 to 9mm with the 40 to 9 barrel from KKM. Ejection sucked, so I put the 9mm ejector assembly in. Now ejection is more uniform and positive. Gun has had no issues running practice or duty ammo since the caliber swap. Practice ammo is AE 124 and duty ammo is Critical Duty 135 +p, felt really nice shooting and not like +p ammo I have shot in the past.

TGS
12-15-2019, 01:02 AM
I run my Gen 4 G23 with my Lone Wolf .40-9mm conversion barrel with the .40 RSA. The Gen 4’s do have caliber specific RSA’s. I’ve got about a thousand rounds through it now with zero malfunctions. I actually have G19 RSA’s because I have a G19, but I never saw the need to use a 9mm RSA when running the G23 converted to 9mm.

I also run my Gen 2 G23 with that same LW conversion barrel. The Gen 2 RSA is not caliber specific. Not as many rounds through it, but zero malfunctions there too !

When converting either of my G23’s to 9mm, I change barrel and mags only, and I’ve never had a problem. Lot’s of folks say change the extractor, RSA, and ejector for reliability. Or say that they would never carry one converted for defense. But after several hundred rounds of flawless, various 9mm rounds through the pipe, how much more reliability do folks expect ?

The general consensus on the forum from past discussions is no less than 1000 rounds, closer to 2000 being better, and we despise the term "flawless" being thrown out on pistols that have barely been shot.

bigsteve113
12-15-2019, 02:35 AM
The general consensus on the forum from past discussions is no less than 1000 rounds, closer to 2000 being better, and we despise the term "flawless" being thrown out on pistols that have barely been shot.

OK. Then several hundred rounds with zero malfunctions ! BTW, that particular G23 does have several thousand rounds through it, but only several hundred, possibly 1000 rounds, through it converted to 9mm. It is my issued duty weapon so I couldn't carry it in 9mm configuration even if I wanted to.

In .40 it has zero malfunctions except when it has a WML attached. Then it has constant malfunctions. So you are technically correct, the weapon is not flawless. That is the reason that I am abandoning it for 9mm and .45 for duty (GLOCKs are mandated). I am plain clothed so that means my personally owned, authorized G26 and G30S. I am also qualified with my G19 but I rarely carry it on duty. Oddly enough though, if I could only choose one, it would be the G19.