PDA

View Full Version : Here's the new Tahoe

LittleLebowski
12-11-2019, 09:25 AM
https://jalopnik.com/2021-chevrolet-suburban-and-2021-chevrolet-tahoe-here-1840349873

RevolverRob
12-11-2019, 09:57 AM
If you hid the bowtie, I wouldn't be able to tell you if I was looking at a Tahoe, an Expedition, or a Durango.

There are worse things in life, but that front end/grill treatment is begging for some breakup. That monolithic grill is uglier than Jaws from Moonraker.

Borderland
12-11-2019, 10:07 AM
Did I read that they went to independent rear suspension? No longer live axle/leaf springs like a 1/2 ton pickup?

I guess it's become the official federal gov't cop hauler anyway. Needed a better ride and more room for gear. Maybe bullet proof glass.;)

GM lost its styling mind in 2008 so no surprises there.

ragnar_d
12-11-2019, 10:14 AM
I want to like it . . . I just can't get with that predator/Lexus ripoff grill. It kills the whole damn look for me.

TGS
12-11-2019, 11:09 AM
Did I read that they went to independent rear suspension? No longer live axle/leaf springs like a 1/2 ton pickup?

I guess it's become the official federal gov't cop hauler anyway. Needed a better ride and more room for gear. Maybe bullet proof glass.;)

GM lost its styling mind in 2008 so no surprises there.

Leaf springs are better for armored vehicles.

That's funny about it being the official federal govt cop hauler, though.

You watch way too much TV.

RevolverRob
12-11-2019, 11:37 AM

That is correct.

I believe that means the only stick rear axle SUVs left out there are the Jeep Wrangler and the Toyota 4Runner, Sequoia, and Land Cruiser. Everyone else has gone independent rear axle. I get it, most SUVs are car-based unit-body construction today, anyways.

The body-on-frame truck-chassis SUV is not that long for the world, I'm afraid. Soon only specific enthusiast vehicles will be built that way and even those will be compromised.

TQP
12-11-2019, 11:57 AM
I'm totally not a car guy, but is it bad when my first thought looking at that was 'well it's not as ugly as I thought it was going to be'? On a 0 to Pontiac Aztec scale that's barely a 7.

I'm all about body on frame SUVs. I had a 79 Cherokee, an 88 Pathfinder, an 01 Xterra, and now driving an old man truck (frontier). If my only choice is a unibody SUV, I'll just get another truck when this one dies.

Totem Polar
12-11-2019, 12:42 PM
It looks like a Lexus porked an astrovan, and that’s just from the front plate to the windshield. After that, it gets worse. The proportions are somehow totally off-putting, as if the designers were answering the unspoken question "what if we took the old one and gave it too many extra pounds and serious cankles...?"

Coyotesfan97
12-11-2019, 12:42 PM
My issued work car has been a Tahoe since 2010. My current ride is the state contract vehicle. It’s pursuit rated and has plate armor in the doors. Tahoe’s and Expeditions are rapidly replacing Crown Vic’s as they mile out. It’s not just a Federal ride.

LittleLebowski
12-11-2019, 12:45 PM
My issued work car has been a Tahoe since 2010. My current ride is the state contract vehicle. It’s pursuit rated and has plate armor in the doors. Tahoe’s and Expeditions are rapidly replacing Crown Vic’s as they mile out. It’s not just a Federal ride.

How do you like it?

Borderland
12-11-2019, 12:50 PM
That is correct.

I believe that means the only stick rear axle SUVs left out there are the Jeep Wrangler and the Toyota 4Runner, Sequoia, and Land Cruiser. Everyone else has gone independent rear axle. I get it, most SUVs are car-based unit-body construction today, anyways.

The body-on-frame truck-chassis SUV is not that long for the world, I'm afraid. Soon only specific enthusiast vehicles will be built that way and even those will be compromised.

Just bought a new 4Runner. :D I don't have anything against unit body vehicles as it's the best set up for most people. All I've ever owned is the live axle- body on frame vehicles. I guess I'm a dinosaur. :(

Coyotesfan97
12-11-2019, 12:53 PM
I love it. I really liked the 2010 I had before but my 2017 has better acceleration off the line, it rides better, and it’s got the armor. I carry a metric ton of gear and I can fit it in the back. We changed versions of the kennel insert and it’s bigger for the dog.

The only thing I don’t like is the view out the front. The sloped hood of the 2010 model made it look like you had nothing in front of you. The hood on the 2017 doesn’t do that. I’ve gotten used to it but anytime I drive a spare I’m reminded of it

Borderland
12-11-2019, 01:05 PM

There were a lot of sedans in the Sheriff's dept here not long ago. I think there are still some in use but it looks like Ford Police interceptor is replacing all of them. Looks like a Ford Exploder with some high speed enhancements. My neighbor has one. He's a sheriff.

kwb377
12-11-2019, 01:47 PM
The upcoming Tahoe and the current Expedition, despite being IRS, are still body-on-frame construction.

As far as an SUV patrol vehicle, my last four years were on the highway driving a 2014 PPV Tahoe...loved it! Compared to a CV it was quicker and had higher top speed, much more comfortable, more room for cargo and people, and handled better.

Darth Vader
https://pbase.com/kwb377/image/161534993.jpg

Before that, I was in investigations driving a 2010 Charger. The Charger was a hoot to drive, but the guys that worked patrol said they were a nightmare maintenance and reliability wise...we didn't run ours near as hard as the guys working the highway. 2010 all the way back to '93 was a mix of CV's along with a couple of years of LT1 Caprices.

CV's - can't kill them, but suck at everything else.
LT1-engined Caprices - smoky burnouts, marginally better brakes than the CV.

I'm in a retirement gig as an SRO with my initial municipal agency (work just during the school year) and have come full-circle back to a CV.

I had forgotten how awful they were to drive. :(

edit to add:

I forgot about the one year we bought Tahoes in the '90s. Chevy came out with a patrol-rated Tahoe in '97 after dropping the 9C1 Caprice in '96, but only sold it for one or two model years. Not as good as the Caprice, but still better than the CV.

https://pbase.com/kwb377/image/167635582.jpg

Poconnor
12-11-2019, 01:57 PM
I just rented a Tahoe and a Yukon XL. I liked them both but the Yukon felt better. I wish they made a Yukon xl with a Diesel engine. Back on patrol I begged for a 2WD Tahoe for patrol. I was ignored. I liked the old caprice. The expedition was ok. The crown Vic was too small inside. I think my hip and foot problems are from sitting too much in a crown Vic. I wish ford would bring back the excursion

ralph
12-11-2019, 02:50 PM
https://jalopnik.com/2021-chevrolet-suburban-and-2021-chevrolet-tahoe-here-1840349873

What’s the price tag on this? $100,000?

randyho
12-11-2019, 03:00 PM
It looks like a Lexus porked an astrovan, Nailed it, so to speak.

and that’s just from the front plate to the windshield. After that, it gets worse. The proportions are somehow totally off-putting, as if the designers were answering the unspoken question "what if we took the old one and gave it too many extra pounds and serious cankles...?"Current trend seems to be this. Are designers charging by the crease? The new civic: What the hell happened there?

ETA: From the article, it looks much worse in red.

Totem Polar
12-11-2019, 03:19 PM
ETA: From the article, it looks much worse in red.

Maybe they can offer "vertical stripes" as an exterior color. :D

Rex G
12-11-2019, 04:45 PM
The Tahoe has been Kia-ized!

One of the motivating factors in my retirement from LEO-ing was no longer being able to patrol in Tahoe. The newer Kia-ized Ford “explorers” were torture devices, and death traps. I had to down-sized my duty pistol, to a G19, to facilitate a quick exit from the passenger-side door, and for long-term comfort while in the driver’s seat.

HCM
12-11-2019, 05:19 PM

Not many Feds running Tahoe’s.

Hell, the Govt is buying Hyundai’s now.

The new Tahoe looks ok but who ever guessed the $100k sticker price isn’t too far off. SUV prices have gotten ridiculous.

bofe954
12-11-2019, 05:47 PM
The new Tahoe looks ok but who ever guessed the $100k sticker price isn’t too far off. SUV prices have gotten ridiculous.

Especially when crew cab pickups are half the price. If you don't need a 3rd row you don't lose much with a pickup and tonneau or topper.

Bigghoss
12-11-2019, 06:36 PM
Lets just say I'll be hanging on to my '84 K5.

ranger
12-11-2019, 06:46 PM
I thought about a 2019 Tahoe or Yukon but just could not get over the $$$. My 2019 Subaru Outback Touring 3.6R will have to be good enough (plus I have a 2015 RAM 1500 Crew Cab if I need "big").

Sensei
12-11-2019, 06:52 PM
If you hid the bowtie, I wouldn't be able to tell you if I was looking at a Tahoe, an Expedition, or a Durango.

There are worse things in life, but that front end/grill treatment is begging for some breakup. That monolithic grill is uglier than Jaws from Moonraker.

I want to like it . . . I just can't get with that predator/Lexus ripoff grill. It kills the whole damn look for me.

I'm totally not a car guy, but is it bad when my first thought looking at that was 'well it's not as ugly as I thought it was going to be'? On a 0 to Pontiac Aztec scale that's barely a 7.

I'm all about body on frame SUVs. I had a 79 Cherokee, an 88 Pathfinder, an 01 Xterra, and now driving an old man truck (frontier). If my only choice is a unibody SUV, I'll just get another truck when this one dies.

That front angle is unique to the Z71 Offroad Package. The standard Suburban/Tahoe has the more traditional, full front.

I like it.

Tom Fineis
12-11-2019, 07:24 PM

Not that it really matters but the Sequoia has been IRS for about ten years now.

Darth_Uno
12-11-2019, 07:41 PM
I'd like it better with a chrome grille and bumper. But I don't really dig the "sport" look. If you love it, go for it.

Just bought a new 4Runner. :D I don't have anything against unit body vehicles as it's the best set up for most people. All I've ever owned is the live axle- body on frame vehicles. I guess I'm a dinosaur. :(

When we (or rather "I", depends who tells the story) totalled my wife's 4Runner I said well let's look at Tahoes, I always liked those. Saw the price and told my wife to pick whichever new 4Runner you want.

Borderland
12-11-2019, 08:05 PM
I'd like it better with a chrome grille and bumper. But I don't really dig the "sport" look. If you love it, go for it.

When we (or rather "I", depends who tells the story) totalled my wife's 4Runner I said well let's look at Tahoes, I always liked those. Saw the price and told my wife to pick whichever new 4Runner you want.

4Runners still aren't that expensive considering everything. 37K got me a lot of stuff like nav, heated seats, BT phone and a sun roof. Limited/TRD packages can tack on another 6K. Originally I was going to replace my Duramax with a 1/2 ton Silverado but 40K didn't seem right for the package I wanted. Jeezus, they have a million things on those vehicles that I don't want or need that jacks the price. GM is going TU again if they don't get their act together.

Scotty (YouTube) says buy a Ford if you want a 1/2 ton truck.

Darth_Uno
12-11-2019, 08:25 PM
They still aren't that expensive considering everything. 37K will get you a lot of stuff like nav, heated seats, BT phone and a sun roof. Limited/TRD packages can tack on another 6K.

Yeah, you could almost buy two 4Runners for the price of a loaded Tahoe. We got the Limited. Not for the AWD or other "fancy" stuff that came with it, but it had (mostly) leather vs the Softec in the SR5's. Not that you'd tell much of a difference when you look at or sit on it, but we thought the (mostly) leather would hold up to terrier dogs better. So far so good.

I hate those dogs. And they're my little best friends, who love going on truck rides. Fahk.

Obelisk
12-11-2019, 10:12 PM
I dunno it looks meh. If you told me it was a 2010 model I’d believe you. It just needs French fries under the seats, grease marks on the doors, kid puke, and a pack of diapers in the back to give it that family smell of a three owner 2010.

Joe in PNG
12-11-2019, 11:01 PM
I dunno it looks meh. If you told me it was a 2010 model I’d believe you. It just needs French fries under the seats, grease marks on the doors, kid puke, and a pack of diapers in the back to give it that family smell of a three owner 2010.

Say what you will about the Tesla truck- it's not more of the boring same same.

Obelisk
12-11-2019, 11:20 PM
Say what you will about the Tesla truck- it's not more of the boring same same.

I like the Tesla truck. I have a different philosophy on vehicle designs. I want different. I feel some brands try to keep the brand grill etc and it really throws off modern designs. I know you’ve seen it with the C8 vette “buh that don’t look like no vette to me! Real vettes are front engine”. Just make a good looking vehicle and people will buy it. The C8 for example looks fantastic, though if they dropped the Chevy look it would have been much better. There’s going to be thousands of those on the road and people will know it’s a Chevy. Gotta have this grill or tail lights is silly to me. But it’s marketing! No it’s ugly. Just like grip zone.

After the outside it’s interior time where the buyer spends the most time. The ATS-V coupe is a great example here with a 1980’s flat plastic instrument panel that appears it came from the parts bin. Why not the CTS-V panel? I dunno but if I was in the market the instrument panel would be an instant no from me.

JRB
12-12-2019, 03:11 AM
More and more vehicles are going to the electric razor front end styling. I'm not a fan.

fixer
12-12-2019, 06:05 AM
Overall I like it. I might look into this as next vehicle. The z71 package looks good.

The Tahoe increased in size just a bit for more cargo room and leg room. Something I always wanted to see in a SUV of this size.
The interior looks nice and the Tahoe's have always had good seats.

The only thing that concerns me is the active fuel management "upgrade" having something like up to 7 possible modes of cylinder deactivation. This screams problems...

Borderland
12-12-2019, 09:28 AM
More and more vehicles are going to the electric razor front end styling. I'm not a fan.

When I first looked at the new 4Runner front end/grill it looked like something out of Star Wars. Reminded me of the Imperial Stormtroopers helmet.

Oh well, it is what it is.

The only thing that concerns me is the active fuel management "upgrade" having something like up to 7 possible modes of cylinder deactivation. This screams problems...

That would be a non starter for me. I won't buy a vehicle with a stop-start system either. I had a loaner Chev that had that and it didn't work real well. The acceleration lag was pretty bad.

Borderland
12-12-2019, 10:05 AM

Looks like Tahoes go off of the VAL this month. No more Tahoes for the feds.

https://autochoice.fas.gsa.gov/AutoChoice/VehicleAvailability

BehindBlueI's
12-12-2019, 02:26 PM

Do 1/2 ton trucks still have leaf springs? How quaint.:cool: My Ram uses coils. It's an incredibly comfortable ride.

On topic, I really don't care for the current design trend at Chevy. I don't like the current Camaro or the trucks, and this is more of the same. I also don't like the direction Ram has taken with their most recent generation. The Ram has lost a lot of what made it unique and the badging is horrendous. It's like the designers said "make it look like a Toyota/GM hybrid...wait, people won't know it's a Ram...go ahead and put giant branding on it. No, not big...GIANT. BIGGER!!!. Ok, a little bigger. Perfect...no, wait, more bigger."

Dan_S
12-12-2019, 02:44 PM
Do 1/2 ton trucks still have leaf springs? How quaint.:cool: My Ram uses coils. It's an incredibly comfortable ride.

On topic, I really don't care for the current design trend at Chevy. I don't like the current Camaro or the trucks, and this is more of the same. I also don't like the direction Ram has taken with their most recent generation. The Ram has lost a lot of what made it unique and the badging is horrendous. It's like the designers said "make it look like a Toyota/GM hybrid...wait, people won't know it's a Ram...go ahead and put giant branding on it. No, not big...GIANT. BIGGER!!!. Ok, a little bigger. Perfect...no, wait, more bigger."

Make it more yuuuuuuge!

ragnar_d
12-13-2019, 11:26 AM
That front angle is unique to the Z71 Offroad Package. The standard Suburban/Tahoe has the more traditional, full front.

I like it.
It’s unfortunate that the Z71 looks as bad as it does, but the standard one does look better. To me, the front would look better if it didn’t have what looks like a line of drool coming down from the grill. Then again, I haven’t really liked the Tahoe styling since the GMT900.

I’m just hoping they don’t fuck up the Yukons.

Truth there. Only federal big SUVs I’ve seen have been two brand new 3/4 ton Suburbans that I’ve seen hauling ass down the FL turnpike on occasion. One of our family friends is an agent with one of the big boys and was talking about getting a new G-Ride . . . he got a Hyundai sedan.

Yup. Hell, a Crew Cab/4WD F-150 XLT can sticker up to $55-56k, the Yukon Denali XL the big boss at my company drove stickers at $72k.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Spartan1980
12-13-2019, 12:00 PM
Never thought I'd say this as I've always been one to keep my vehicles 10 years, but if I ever "acquire" another new vehicle I'll likely lease. The prices are just getting off the chain crazy. Never thought I'd see $20k price tags on a pickup or SUV that had 150k+ miles. I'd rather let the dealer eat the depreciation and just turn it in and ride out in another new one.

My SIL has an '08 or '09 H2 Hummer that's loaded to the hilt. I've told him to never even contemplate selling it. If it blows an engine to drop a crate motor in it. Ditto for the trans, transfer case and driveline. It's the hands down winner on comfort over anything I've ever driven. Slow as a dog, but it'll pull a mountain if you want it too.

ETA: I kinda like the new Tahoe, but that sticker precludes it from consideration. Just HELL NO, I can buy real estate for that money.

gatorboy
12-13-2019, 07:02 PM
The grill is hideous. From the side it looks like they ripped off Toyota and I'm not a Yota fan.

Borderland
12-13-2019, 07:06 PM
Never thought I'd say this as I've always been one to keep my vehicles 10 years, but if I ever "acquire" another new vehicle I'll likely lease. The prices are just getting off the chain crazy. Never thought I'd see $20k price tags on a pickup or SUV that had 150k+ miles. I'd rather let the dealer eat the depreciation and just turn it in and ride out in another new one.

My SIL has an '08 or '09 H2 Hummer that's loaded to the hilt. I've told him to never even contemplate selling it. If it blows an engine to drop a crate motor in it. Ditto for the trans, transfer case and driveline. It's the hands down winner on comfort over anything I've ever driven. Slow as a dog, but it'll pull a mountain if you want it too.

ETA: I kinda like the new Tahoe, but that sticker precludes it from consideration. Just HELL NO, I can buy real estate for that money.

I don't think dealers eat anything. If they did they would go out of business. The lease has the depreciation built in. With high resale these days on some vehicles you're probably better off just paying cash and selling the vehicle yourself when you want a new one. I just sold a 2007 Chevy Duramax with average miles for 20K on Craigslist. I think the MSRP was around 45K. That's not what I paid for it tho.

The devil with leases is in the details. Dealers love leases and financing vehicles. They fix the rates and it's up to you to decipher the mumbo jumbo to see if it's a good deal.:(

BehindBlueI's
12-13-2019, 07:19 PM
Never thought I'd say this as I've always been one to keep my vehicles 10 years, but if I ever "acquire" another new vehicle I'll likely lease. ...I'd rather let the dealer eat the depreciation and just turn it in and ride out in another new one.

That's pretty much the opposite of how leases work. The dealer isn't eating anything. They are getting paid by the lease company just like you financed it or wrote a check for it. You are primarily buying the depreciation plus profit for the lender.

gatorboy
12-13-2019, 07:28 PM

You're not alone. I drive a Nissan Xterra Pro 4X and a 3500 2018 Ram. The X has rear axle, IFS coil over set up. Body on frame, rear locker and 6 speed MT. 2015 was the last year they produced them and they are holding their value very well as a result. Horrible aerodynamics and piss-poor gas mileage but that's what you get for something that can really handle off road without breaking.

I'm not a Toyota guy but I have a lot of respect for them, especially the TRD's.

gatorboy
12-13-2019, 07:32 PM