PDA

View Full Version : Active Shooter (s) NJ

HCM
12-10-2019, 01:41 PM
Multi scene active shooter situation reported (https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nbcnews.com/news/amp/ncna1099131) in Jersey City, NJ.

Developing.

LittleLebowski
12-10-2019, 01:45 PM
Goddamnit.

Chance
12-10-2019, 02:28 PM
Article says all the schools are safe, thankfully. Here's hoping the wounded officer pulls through.

CWM11B
12-10-2019, 02:32 PM
Latest report I saw, the officer was a victim of police gunfire. I'm surprised it doent happen more in these events.

TGS
12-10-2019, 02:40 PM
From witness interviews and Twitter footage, it sounds/looks like it may have been a plainclothes/UC operation gone awry.

Waaayyyyy too many plainclothes cops on scene before uniforms, and witnesses said that the shooting started with a bunch of plainclothes officers. I mean, it's lunchtime, so I guess it's possible an entire plainclothes unit was getting lunch together and happened to be in the right place at the right time....

HCM
12-10-2019, 03:22 PM
Keep in mind intail reports are often wrong.

Updated media info:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/newyork.cbslocal.com/2019/12/10/jersey-city-shooting-4/amp/

BillSWPA
12-10-2019, 05:42 PM
A shooting in NJ?! NJ was correctly called a "gun owner's hell" by the NRA when I lived there, and has only gotten worse since I left. How is this possible?

Given the number of shots fired and the population density in that area, I am surprised that there were not more deaths and injuries. Hoping for a good recovery for the injured officers.

blues
12-10-2019, 05:43 PM
Each subsequent report is more dire.

AMC
12-10-2019, 06:12 PM
Initial reports sound like this was a running gunbattle between the suspects and the cops. Heard several law enforcement officials in this incident (and the Pensacola incident as well) describe this as an 'Active Shooter'. I can understand the media's confusion, but a running gunfight with crooks committing crimes generally isnt the same thing. Both incidents bring up the need to train 'Priority of Fire' and shooting with innocents downrange. Been harping on this for the last year, and the necessity of devoting time to these issues....so far I'm being ignored.

RoyGBiv
12-10-2019, 06:18 PM
Refreshing the OP link....

The deadly mayhem started when the slain officer was investigating a murder and approached two suspects — when one of them opened fire, shooting the officer in the head and killing him, law enforcement sources told NBC News.

The two suspects then fled in a rental van and holed up in a grocery store a few blocks away, near Martin Luther King Drive and Bidwell Avenue, about 8 miles southwest of Midtown Manhattan in New York City, law enforcement sources said.

The suspects and three civilians were killed inside that grocery store in the ensuing gunbattle, sources said.

TGS
12-10-2019, 06:24 PM
Small world and all, one of my buddies from college ended up going hardcore right wing anti-government militia type after he got out of the army and became disillusioned. Even went off the grid after a Mass state trooper and I (both buddies of his from college) talked to him about it, as he was starting to worry us.

Years later, he ends up being photographed working for the FBI (of all agencies) out of their Newark Field Office (of all places), responding to the Jersey City shootout.

blues
12-10-2019, 06:39 PM
Small world and all, one of my buddies from college ended up going hardcore right wing anti-government militia type after he got out of the army and became disillusioned. Even went off the grid after a Mass state trooper and I (both buddies of his from college) talked to him about it, as he was starting to worry us.

Years later, he ends up being photographed working for the FBI (of all agencies) out of their Newark Field Office (of all places), responding to the Jersey City shootout.

I don't know whether that's a good thing or not...(But I'm making allowances based upon the fact that he was your friend.)

TGS
12-10-2019, 06:52 PM
I don't know whether that's a good thing or not...(But I'm making allowances based upon the fact that he was your friend.)

FWIW, I've noticed a trend that a lot of us who were in the military get disillusioned and Montana Militia'ey when we get out of the military. Most people come around and stop being retards.

Which, I imagine he came out of his phase as well. It's just especially ironic since not only did he go into LE, but he chose the FBI....and in New Jersey.

blues
12-10-2019, 08:05 PM
FWIW, I've noticed a trend that a lot of us who were in the military get disillusioned and Montana Militia'ey when we get out of the military. Most people come around and stop being retards.

Which, I imagine he came out of his phase as well. It's just especially ironic since not only did he go into LE, but he chose the FBI....and in New Jersey.

I get it. I survived the 60's and most everything you can imagine was associated with that decade, politically and socially. I wasn't going down the path for a career in L.E.

Borderland
12-10-2019, 08:43 PM
I get it. I survived the 60's and most everything you can imagine was associated with that decade, politically and socially. I wasn't going down the path for a career in L.E.

Strange times indeed. I remember some of it. :D

JRB
12-11-2019, 01:06 AM
More sadness, and ugly crap caused by evil people. :(

I've experienced similar disillusionment just over the course of my ~12 years in so far. It's easy and understandable to be frustrated by some of the misguided thinking and poor leadership at times. Going 100% off-grid is way too much of a pain in the ass for me, though. I enjoy cars and air conditioning too much.

Eventually, at least in my case, you realize or remember that most of the people in these organizations give a shit and work really hard to do good things, and don't get any credit in the press because of the same reasons that Soldiers doing well or local LE doing well never makes the news, and if then, it's some page 10 1-paragraph attaboy, if that.

But after coming around, if you still want to make a difference, it makes sense to join up with an organization where you can make a difference, if you're eligible of course.

As for your friend 'choosing' New Jersey - the way I understand initial post-grad FBI assignments, it works the same way as PCS requests in the Army; Your three choices are removed from the option pool, and a sadistic admin clerk throws a dart at a map to figure out the rest. :)

TGS
12-11-2019, 01:20 AM
As for your friend 'choosing' New Jersey - the way I understand initial post-grad FBI assignments, it works the same way as PCS requests in the Army; Your three choices are removed from the option pool, and a sadistic admin clerk throws a dart at a map to figure out the rest. :)

Oh, stand the fuck by for a PM. ;)

HCM
12-11-2019, 02:51 AM
More sadness, and ugly crap caused by evil people. :(

I've experienced similar disillusionment just over the course of my ~12 years in so far. It's easy and understandable to be frustrated by some of the misguided thinking and poor leadership at times. Going 100% off-grid is way too much of a pain in the ass for me, though. I enjoy cars and air conditioning too much.

Eventually, at least in my case, you realize or remember that most of the people in these organizations give a shit and work really hard to do good things, and don't get any credit in the press because of the same reasons that Soldiers doing well or local LE doing well never makes the news, and if then, it's some page 10 1-paragraph attaboy, if that.

But after coming around, if you still want to make a difference, it makes sense to join up with an organization where you can make a difference, if you're eligible of course.

One significant difference- you generally can’t quit the army on the spot when you get PCS orders to somewhere you don’t want to go or can’t afgord, like NYC.

HCM
12-11-2019, 04:35 AM
https://www.nj.com/hudson/2019/12/jersey-city-shooting-mayor-now-says-deadly-attack-was-targeted.html

Zincwarrior
12-11-2019, 08:29 AM
So did the first LEO stumble onto something about to go down?

0ddl0t
12-11-2019, 09:07 AM

You sure he didn't go under cover in the militia for the feds all along?

LittleLebowski
12-11-2019, 09:40 AM
Jersey City Shooting: Suspect Published Anti-Semitic and Anti-Police Posts, Official Say (https://dnyuz.com/2019/12/11/jersey-city-shooting-suspect-published-anti-semitic-and-anti-police-posts-official-says/)

blues
12-11-2019, 10:27 AM
The info is coming out in drips and drabs...frustrating...but let's hope that they get it right for all involved.

Heartbreaking loss for the community and the family of Det. Seals, may he and the others perished rest in peace.

LittleLebowski
12-11-2019, 10:57 AM

blues
12-11-2019, 11:09 AM
May they rot in hell...

Yung
12-11-2019, 11:26 AM
I wonder if either one was present at the rally in which those students from Covington were accosted.

LittleLebowski
12-11-2019, 02:29 PM
That city...has some problems.

https://twitter.com/HikindDov/status/1204806510762741760

blues
12-11-2019, 02:30 PM
That city...has some problems.

https://twitter.com/HikindDov/status/1204806510762741760

Can you synopsize for us non-twitterers?

LittleLebowski
12-11-2019, 02:32 PM
Can you synopsize for us non-twitterers?

Well, you don't have to have twitter to see/hear the video; but it's a lot of antisemitic remarks by locals.

LittleLebowski
12-11-2019, 02:33 PM
Video of the shooters leaving the van. I'm pretty open to deleting this if anyone objects, but it's grainy and far away enough that it's not gory.

https://videos.dailymail.co.uk/video/mol/2019/12/11/560911997648483990/1024x576_MP4_560911997648483990.mp4

blues
12-11-2019, 02:50 PM
Well, you don't have to have twitter to see/hear the video; but it's a lot of antisemitic remarks by locals.

I can't open on my device and my wife says it reports the page doesn't exist. I guess maybe it was deleted.

TGS
12-11-2019, 03:06 PM

I think there's a few things going on here. Likely this lady heard that the shooting was by "Hebrew Israelites" and thought of Jews, and probably doesn't know the difference between the extremist group and actual Jews.

With that being said, I'm going to get into some touchy areas and address an elephant that many people probably wouldn't talk about:

Her views are likely exacerbated by the segregation between orthodox jewish groups and gentiles in the northeast. I'm 100% not encouraging anti-Semitism, but people in the NYC metro area get frustrated with orthodox Jewish communities for reasons completely unrelated to what anti-Semitism looks like in the rest of the country. The communities are very segregated, to the point that Hatzolah ambulances have a habit of driving by medical emergencies and refusing to treat/transport because the people are gentiles, and the communities are super insular and hostile to outsiders, as well as absolutely carrying a trend of crime with them......Jewish gangs are a real thing, and specifically go after non-Jews through extortion, fraud and intimidation at businesses and as landlords, which causes more tension. These communities also bring a lot of crime through changing the socio-economic makeup of a town, because literally every house will be registered as its own kibbutz/religious sanctuary and thus tax exempt, so towns literally go broke.....which brings more crime.

My brother in law is Jewish, I had a hard crush on a Jewish girl before, and being from NJ I had several Jewish friends. Please understand I'm not a Nazi or anti-semetic, I'm even a staunch supporter of Israel and likely would have helped smuggle guns for the Haganah if I were alive and in the position to help during the late 40s. But these orthodox communities and the social tensions that surround them don't really exist in the rest of the country, so I wouldn't expect anyone to be aware of them. Before I moved back down to Virginia, I lived at the edge of an orthodox Jewish community about 10 minutes from where this shooting happened, and I can tell you that it's a very hostile culture, sorta like "me vs the world" bullshit.

These communities are also not representative of the average Jewish dude living in the area. Like my brother in law, on the other hand, are just regular dudes that blend in to society like regular dudes.

So, what I'm getting at is that lady's feelings are not likely being expressed from the anti-Semitic, neo-Nazi, or classical "Jews are a world conspiracy" point of view that most of America is used to being exposed to. Someone having critical views of "Jews" in the NYC area is likely coming at it from a very different angle, and different level of fervor, than someone in Charlottesville, VA. It's less about being Jewish and more about what certain communities in that area bring. Given we discussed the Mormon family down in Mexico recently, the situation probably has a lot in common to regular Mormons vs the super insular fundamentalist Mormon groups which are riddled with crime and hostility towards the rest of society.

With that said, I'm intimately familiar with Jersey City. It's a fucking garbage dump, and her feelings about shootings not existing prior to the Jews came is a big pile of horseshit. People in Jersey City have been shooting themselves up for no good reason for a few decades now, just the same as all the other decayed industrial cities in New Jersey, like Trenton, Paterson, Newark, New Brunswick, AC, etc.

So, I'm not saying she's not an idiot, I'm just saying that when you hear the comments about Jews in that area, don't assess it to be the same thing/context as when you hear "traditional" anti-Semitism and the imagery/history that evokes.

Totem Polar
12-11-2019, 03:17 PM
Interesting info, TGS.

I guess the bottom line is: fuck racist predators, even the Jewish ones.

HCM
12-11-2019, 03:27 PM
Interesting info, TGS.

I guess the bottom line is: fuck racist predators, even the Jewish ones.

Sigh....

The black Hebrew Israelites are not Jews, or at least not recognized as such.

There are a spectrum of beliefs within the black Hebrew Israelite movement but in general they believe that black people are the true Jews described in the Old Testament. Only a small percentage actually convert to Judaism. Many follow a mix of Christian and Jewish beliefs. Not all are violent or Extremists.

Among those that are violent extremists, They are black supremacists. They believe black people are the literal and biological descendants of the ancient Israelites, they also believe that the people who are currently known as the Jews are “devilish imposters “ And that people of other races including the Jews deserve only death or slavery. On surprisingly they are also virulently anti-law-enforcement.

None of this is new, I recall black Hebrew Israelite groups in New York City having run ins with law-enforcement in the late 1980s and early 1990s.

TGS
12-11-2019, 03:33 PM
HCM, as I always understood it, Black Hebrew Israelites are Jewish in the same sense that Nation of Islam dudes are actually Muslim.

Both groups don't know much about their supposed religion other than the name of their holy book, if even that.

For that matter, very similar to Abu Sayyef, or white supremacists that claim to follow the teachings of Jesus.

HCM
12-11-2019, 03:46 PM
HCM, as I always understood it, Black Hebrew Israelites are Jewish in the same sense that Nation of Islam dudes are actually Muslim.

Both groups don't know much about their supposed religion other than the name of their holy book, if even that.

For that matter, very similar to Abu Sayyef, or white supremacists that claim to follow the teachings of Jesus.

If you ask them they will say they are Jewish but they will also tell you that the actual Jews are not Jewish so it is really an Alice in Wonderland Through the looking glass type of thing.

Unlike the nation of Islam which is actually an offshoot of the Moorish temple groups, There is a whole range of beliefs within the black Hebrew Israelite community. Some follow practices that are a weird mix of Christian and Jewish, others follow beliefs similar to messianic Jews, And still others follow variations of Judaism. They are not a unified group in the way the Nation of Islam is.

On the violent extremist end of the black Israelite movement, they are ideologically similar to the white supremacist Christian identity or creationist movements in that they believe that they are the chosen people of God and the true Jews of the Old Testament.

The black Hebrew Israelites have been around since the late 1800s and they have been active in the New York City metro area as long as I can remember. The point of my post was to clarify that the black Hebrew Israelites are not simply black people who have converted to conventional Judaism.

The other point would be that the violent extremist wing of this movement are just as violent, dangerous, and racist as the white supremacist extremists.

Totem Polar
12-11-2019, 03:47 PM
Sigh....

The black Hebrew Israelites are not Jews, or at least not recognized as such.

I was already tracking. To be clear, I was referring to the Jewish gangs, and similar isolationists in the above post by TGS. I stand by my statement.

HCM
12-11-2019, 03:52 PM
I was already tracking. To be clear, I was referring to the Jewish gangs, and similar isolationists in the above post by TGS. I stand by my statement.

In the NYC they are just another “tribe” - every group there has their gangs, crooks and prejudices. The ethnic neighborhoods of New York City and northern New Jersey have always been a little Balkans.

The extremist wing of the black Hebrew Israelite movement or just as violent, dangerous, and racist as Dylan roof the Charleston church shooter, The El Paso Walmart shooter, or the Pittsburgh Synagogue shooter.

TGS
12-11-2019, 04:03 PM
In the NYC they are just another “tribe” - every group there has their gangs, crooks and prejudices. The ethnic neighborhoods of New York City and northern New Jersey have always been a little Balkans.

Moreso back in the day.

Northern NJ is pretty intermixed these days, outside the destitute black communities and orthodox Jews, at least. With the exception of those two, you're not going to be treated like an asshole or run into trouble simply for your skin color, religion or heritage even in the ethnically centered communities like Ironbound or Fort Ree.

hufnagel
12-11-2019, 04:27 PM
TGS ... lived in Freehold, worked in Lakewood in my early years. I know your thoughts well.
used to work in the Lakewood Radio Shack. only store I ever worked at that had 2 big ass buttons under the counter; one called the cops automatically, the other caused the security gates to come down.
we needed them far more often than I had thought possible. I quit RS totally after a month there, as I didn't want to die in one of the all too frequent gang fights that happened near by.

TGS
12-11-2019, 04:30 PM
TGS ... lived in Freehold, worked in Lakewood in my early years. I know your thoughts well.

Yup, I imagine, especially with Lakewood's orthodox Jewish security patrol that pulls out blue'n'red lights and pulls illegal traffic stops on "outsiders" and harasses the shit out of people.

Yet, at the same time, I imagine you also have no issue with your neighbors that hang a Mezuzah on their door.

I don't know how to explain it. I just hope people are able to correctly interpret what you and I are writing instead of thinking we're anti-semites.

blues
12-11-2019, 04:32 PM
Growing up in NYC, and having had occasion to not only know some, but investigate some "ultra orthodox" Jews, it's like living on a whole 'nother planet.

They don't even consider folks like myself, especially coming from a mixed Jewish and Catholic family background, as Jews. But this would even extend to other Jews who were not from mixed pedigree like myself.

On the whole, I found my interactions with them less than pleasant and greatly disappointing since they thought nothing of lying to my face when I questioned them.

Anyway, I didn't hear the clip that LL posted so I won't comment further.

hufnagel
12-11-2019, 04:33 PM
Bro, *I* totally get it.
I also totally don't give a shit if someone takes my words wrong. That's on them.

hufnagel
12-11-2019, 04:36 PM
I don't think Lakewood had the jewish patrols back in the 80s/90s. Or if they did they either weren't prevalent outside a certain zone, or I was wholly oblivious to it (entirely possible. late teens and early twenties a was BEYOND naive.)

HCM
12-11-2019, 05:08 PM
I don't think Lakewood had the jewish patrols back in the 80s/90s. Or if they did they either weren't prevalent outside a certain zone, or I was wholly oblivious to it (entirely possible. late teens and early twenties a was BEYOND naive.)

The Jewish volunteer ambulances ignoring non Jews in distressed was a thing in NY at least as far back as the 1980s.

As I recall it was a factor in the crown heights riots in Brooklyn back in the day.

blues
12-11-2019, 05:16 PM
This crap has been going on since forever in NYC it seems. I used to drive home from the federal building and run through many of the afflicted neighborhoods in Brooklyn on the way home.

Between the knuckleheads in the (ultra orthodox) Jewish community and the knuckleheads like Sharpton, Farrakhan and company, is it any wonder the hatred? Let alone when all of Howard Beach was blamed for a few idiots chasing some youths down onto the Belt Parkway. The fun never ended.

Glad to be out here in the country where I just have to watch out for the Klan. ;)

Yung
12-12-2019, 12:48 AM
I just hope people are able to correctly interpret what you and I are writing instead of thinking we're anti-semites.

A few times, I've told progressive people who don't understand what's going on in Minneapolis or Utica, concerns about shariah, etc. etc. to think about the orthodox Jews in New York City.

The New Yorker of all publications has consistently ran pieces on the sexual abuse that goes on amongst the Haredis, which to me in some ways is far more insidious than whatever people can say about the Catholics.

Totem Polar
12-12-2019, 12:51 AM
Most people are decent, but the dirtbag minority know no boundaries or borders.

JRB
12-12-2019, 02:27 AM
I've learned a lot about the different cultural and regional factors here. Thank you all for taking the time to explain it. Growing up in the SW US I've had little exposure to these situations.

I can't help but see some similarities with the very different sects and cultures within Islam.

Sidheshooter - I'd say that you are correct, but there are prevailing cultural and social variables that can either deter or encourage that dirtbag minority to act on their dirtbaggery. In some egregious cases, instead of being hated, they're loved and rise to power.

I suppose the key is to be as specific and accurate as possible when identifying those variables.

fixer
12-12-2019, 06:26 AM
Amazing how little mainstream media coverage this is getting.

I guess the intersectional issues are too challenging to navigate and fit to a narrative...

hufnagel
12-12-2019, 06:50 AM
Any more facts on this attack?
Has the motive been determined?
I keep having this feeling that, this isn't about antisemitism, and more about someone got dissed and went for revenge.

TheRoland
12-12-2019, 07:20 AM
Any more facts on this attack?
Has the motive been determined?
I keep having this feeling that, this isn't about antisemitism, and more about someone got dissed and went for revenge.

Why do you think this? Members of an antisemitic extremist group shot a bunch of people at a kosher supermarket.

hufnagel
12-12-2019, 10:20 AM
Why do you think this? Members of an antisemitic extremist group shot a bunch of people at a kosher supermarket.

I can't put my finger on it, but my spidey senses are saying there's something else there.
Why that deli?
Why that date and time?
What was the cause of the police encounter before they went to the deli?
And importantly in my mind, what are the "amongst other items that I won't be discussing" (https://www.npr.org/2019/12/11/787029133/jersey-city-shooting-was-a-targeted-attack-on-the-jewish-kosher-deli)?

There's more here, I think.

HCM
12-12-2019, 01:27 PM
Amazing how little mainstream media coverage this is getting.

I guess the intersectional issues are too challenging to navigate and fit to a narrative...

Violent black people who are virulent racists against anyone who is not black with a special emphasis on cops and Jews does not fit the main stream media narrative. The fact is these people exist and are dangerous.

We know the ethnicity of the victims in the store but I would be curious about the details of the victim in the original murder who I understand was an Uber driver.

HCM
12-12-2019, 01:32 PM
I can't put my finger on it, but my spidey senses are saying there's something else there.
Why that deli?
Why that date and time?
What was the cause of the police encounter before they went to the deli?
And importantly in my mind, what are the "amongst other items that I won't be discussing" (https://www.npr.org/2019/12/11/787029133/jersey-city-shooting-was-a-targeted-attack-on-the-jewish-kosher-deli)?

There's more here, I think.

First of all you need to understand the black Hebrew Israelites, or at least their extremist fringe are literally the mirror image of the violent white extremists who do things like shoot up Walmarts full of Latinos.

Said subjects were being investigated for the murder of an Uber driver. The identity and ethnic city of that driver have not been released but I’m pretty sure they won’t be black.

Law-enforcement makes contact with the suspects, gets in a shoot out remember and the suspects are able to get away. Of course the suspects know that law-enforcement will catch up with them eventually so why not take a target of opportunity or a target they have looked at before? Because once you’ve done a murder and been in a shootout with the cops what difference does it make? What else are they going to do to you that they aren’t already going to do? It is the “they’re all free after the first one” theory.

A better question would be was the market their intended target ? If not what was their intended target?

TGS
12-12-2019, 03:48 PM

blues
12-12-2019, 04:39 PM
She must be related to "Clueless" Joe Jackson...

hufnagel
12-12-2019, 05:58 PM
She must be related to "Clueless" Joe Jackson...

thought he was "shoeless"
the clueless joe wants to be president (not really.)

HCM
12-12-2019, 09:24 PM

White Supremacy kills ?

Shades of Clayton Bigsby......

Joe in PNG
12-12-2019, 10:10 PM
Gotta get that bloody shirt out!

0ddl0t
12-15-2019, 05:31 PM
NY Times expresses disbelief that anyone might own 400 rounds of ammunition: https://www.nytimes.com/2019/12/15/nyregion/jersey-city-arrest-pawn-shop.html

The left sure seems eager to want to grant clemency for old non violent drug crimes - except when they can hold that crime over someone who wants to own a gun...

blues
12-15-2019, 05:46 PM
NY Times expresses disbelief that anyone might own 400 rounds of ammunition: https://www.nytimes.com/2019/12/15/nyregion/jersey-city-arrest-pawn-shop.html

The left sure seems eager to want to grant clemency for old non violent drug crimes - except when they can hold that crime over someone who wants to own a gun...

Oh, there's plenty of violent offenders they're willing to forgive and turn a blind eye toward as well. If the piece fits their narrative, it's all fair game.
They've got their eye on the prize and will do and say whatever carries the day.

HCM
12-15-2019, 08:02 PM
https://www.foxnews.com/us/jersey-city-shooting-suspect-man-arrested

Arrest in Jersey City shooting after man's phone number found in shooter's pocket

A New Jersey man was arrested Saturday in connection with the deadly shooting in Jersey City last week that left four people dead — after investigators found his phone number tucked in the pocket of one of the two gunmen who opened fire on the Jewish market.

Ahmed A-Hady, 35, of Keyport, was taken into custody by FBI agents and charged with possessing a firearm while being a previously convicted felon, the U.S. Attorney's Office for the District of New Jersey said in a news release.

Two suspected shooters — David Anderson, 47, and Francine Graham, 50 — killed four people on Tuesday, according to officials who have described the attack as an anti-Semitic hate crime that is now being investigated as domestic terrorism, and they were both found dead after an hours-long shootout with police.

In Anderson's back pants pocket, law enforcement found "a handwritten note" that contained a phone number and address in Keyport, N.J., a town roughly 35 miles south of Jersey City, that ultimately led investigators to A-Hady. The phone number was his and the address was that of a pawnshop storefront.

The U.S. Attorney's Office said A-Hady was found to have purchased Smith and Wesson .45-caliber and .44-caliber firearms in 2007 following a conviction for attempting to obtain a controlled dangerous substance or analog by fraud in 2012. Because of that conviction, he was banned from owning firearms

A-Hady's relationship with the shooters was not immediately clear.

Investigators said Anderson and Graham, who appear to have acted alone even though they had expressed interest in the Black Hebrew Israelites, a fringe religious group that often disparages whites and Jews, killed Jersey City Detective Joseph Seals at a cemetery when he reportedly recognized the two as suspects wanted in the December 7 murder of an Uber driver.

Steven Fulop, the mayor of Jersey City, suggested on Twitter Friday the gunmen may have actually targeted 50 children at a Yeshiva school attached to the supermarket.