PDA

View Full Version : RDS and M&P CORE - Loaded chamber indicator and RDS

ranger
12-09-2019, 03:16 PM
I am a fan of the M&P with multiple 1.0s and 2.0s. I recently purchased a S&W M&P CORE 5 inch "top end" for a M&P 1.0 frame. I am concerned about the CORE loaded chamber indicator "notches" in barrel and slide putting debris etc. on my RDS. Has anyone tried to "fill in" the LCI notches or anything else to prevent this issue? Any experiences?

I have not shot the CORE upper yet as I am debating selling it due to the LCI concern and just getting another CZ P10F/C OR.

awp_101
12-09-2019, 04:04 PM
I haven’t had any issues with the RDS on my M&P40 Pro. It’s only been 100 rounds or so over 2 range sessions but I haven’t seen anything of concern.

Where did you find the top end? I’ve been thinking about one to convert my .40 to 9 but all I’ve seen so far are either ported or out of stock.

dontshakepandas
12-09-2019, 04:24 PM
Sorry, I don't have a suggestion for a fix, but I do think you are right to be concerned about it based on this post.

https://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?36123-New-Trijicon-Pistol-Mounted-RDS&p=958383&viewfull=1#post958383

ranger
12-09-2019, 05:14 PM
I haven’t had any issues with the RDS on my M&P40 Pro. It’s only been 100 rounds or so over 2 range sessions but I haven’t seen anything of concern.

Where did you find the top end? I’ve been thinking about one to convert my .40 to 9 but all I’ve seen so far are either ported or out of stock.

Natchez Shooting Supply. I got a CORE 5 inch ported 40S&W kit. Note that I have a S&W M&P 1.0 5 inch "PRO" 40 S&W pistol that I use a 40-9 Storm lake Conversion barrel - it has never had a round of 40 through it always been 9mm (I got a really great deal on it so the 40-9 barrel made sense). I planned on using the Storm Lake 5 inch 40-9 barrel with the new CORE UPPER. The 40 CORE uppers seem to be available and pretty cheap. If I keep it, I will sell the OEM ported barrel to lower the cost.

ranger
12-09-2019, 05:52 PM

https://grabagun.com/smith-and-wesson-m-p-pc-slide-kit-9m-4-25-pr-nms.html

Erick Gelhaus
12-09-2019, 09:40 PM
Two different M&Ps with RDS on them for L/E patrol duty plus teaching and no issues from the LCI hole.

The first was a 1.0 with a RMR & the irons IFO. Lots of rounds through that combination over some time. Been using a 2.0 with an Acro P1 since late July. I imagine I've cleaned the front lens but I cannot recall having to do it. In addition to duty, I've taken and taught classes with it - most recently teaching five days of pistol last week.

ranger
12-09-2019, 10:02 PM
Thanks Erick

scjbash
12-09-2019, 10:55 PM
I don't see it being an issue for anything other than the SRO, and I think Cat Crap is the solution to that problem. 200 rounds without it applied produced the picture linked to above, 200 rounds with it and the glass is still pretty clean. I should be back at the range this week and will get a better idea then.

SoCalDep
12-10-2019, 12:03 AM
There is some carbon buildup on the 2.0 CORE with my RMRs (I have two) and my unit is running a couple dozen of them... more or less... we all see the same thing. I carry a small lens cloth in my pocket and wipe it down every couple hundred rounds or so as I feel it necessary. I don’t consider its. Big issue. I just ordered my third CORE. I never saw an issue on my 3.0 with the direct-milled DeltaPoint Pro, but the rear sight was in front of the optic. Never had an issue at all with my Glock MOS or 2.0 Compact with Dueck Defense Mount either.

ranger
12-10-2019, 05:24 PM
I don't see it being an issue for anything other than the SRO, and I think Cat Crap is the solution to that problem. 200 rounds without it applied produced the picture linked to above, 200 rounds with it and the glass is still pretty clean. I should be back at the range this week and will get a better idea then.

I have a DPP with the special Leupold plate (required for CORE) and a new SRO 5MOA Dot available. I was planning to use the SRO but maybe I should use the DPP?

scjbash
12-10-2019, 06:40 PM
I have a DPP with the special Leupold plate (required for CORE) and a new SRO 5MOA Dot available. I was planning to use the SRO but maybe I should use the DPP?

Before applying Cat Crap the SRO would be black after 200 rounds. With it on its spotless after 200. I'm shooting a little Thursday and Sunday. I'll post again after that.

OldRunner/CSAT Neighbor
12-10-2019, 07:06 PM

I'm right @ 12K rds. thru my gen. 1 CORE (game/class gun), used it w/ 3 RMRs for 7500 rds, 2500 w/ a Vortex Venom & now 2K w/ an SRO & never had much to clean off of other than some minor splash from SLIP as I'm a believer in my neighbor Paul's creedo > happiness is a wet gun.

Just bought a 2nd SRO for an STI DUO-P & need to add some cat crap to both SRO's as the CORE is now a back up game piece w/ the Venom & a P10-F OR has the first SRO on it for primary game/class usage.

ranger
12-10-2019, 07:19 PM
Ok will order some Cat Crap. The "salve" or the spray?