PDA

View Full Version : Why did I have to shoot that gun?

MTechnik
03-14-2011, 11:42 AM
So, I was at the range, blasting away with my FNP-9, and PPS... and the guy next to me breaks out a Wilson Combat 1911, and his hand loads for it.

While I was getting pretty happy with my groups at 15 yards (they limit what you can do there), the guy offered to let me try his Wilson Combat. Well, 4 of my 5 shots were touching. Three were within an inch of that group, and one I pulled badly. I had to walk away before I tried another magazine and sold everything I own to buy one.

I never had a foreign gun to me feel and shoot so well.

Why did I have to shoot that gun??

Anyone have similar range experiences?

turbolag23
03-14-2011, 12:32 PM
very similar experience, mine was with a Les Baer Premier II and hand loads. still couldnt convince me to spend $1500+ on the gun. more so confirmed i should really start loading my own ammo...

YVK
03-14-2011, 12:33 PM
Yes, of course, and I think this is probably the most common way of people getting into 1911s. Outdated or not, they are easy to shoot well. I personally got into 1911s when I outshot my P7M8 with a rental Kimber. About a year ago I rented a 9 mm Springfield EMP and had 9 out of 10 rounds touch, at 25 feet and without much stringing.
To resist the temptation, you need to look at global aspects of owning and running a 1911, well beyond slow accuracy results which is only one side of a coin.

TCinVA
03-14-2011, 12:35 PM
Yes...the first time I shot a 1911. That began a long and expensive journey to the mountain of the 1911.

After a while I descended from the mountain of the 1911 and started using plastic guns because, in my opinion anyway, it's just not worth the climb.

turbolag23
03-14-2011, 12:42 PM
Yes...the first time I shot a 1911. That began a long and expensive journey to the mountain of the 1911.

After a while I descended from the mountain of the 1911 and started using plastic guns because, in my opinion anyway, it's just not worth the climb.

thats what i had been warned about and the reason i'm shooting plastic guns.

Kyle Reese
03-14-2011, 12:49 PM
I felt the same way when I first fired a Glock 17, many moons ago.

jslaker
03-14-2011, 01:03 PM
Happened to me recently with a Gen4 G19. Liked it to the point that I'm considering switching from my USPc to a G19 for EDC.

TCinVA
03-14-2011, 02:50 PM
thats what i had been warned about and the reason i'm shooting plastic guns.

It's only a worry if you allow yourself to be lured by the call of the mountain into spending ridiculous amounts of money and allowing yourself to become dependent on that 4 pound trigger.

If you avoid those pitfalls and you have sufficient disposable financial resources, buying a couple of really good 1911's is far from the worst indulgence in the world.

Just don't let the folks in monastery at the top of the mountain convince you that the lavishly made pistol, fire-quenched in a calm clear pool filled with the tears of fallen enemies and conquered peoples, is somehow capable of doing something that the pistols you can almost buy in one of those vending machines that spits out potato chips and Nutter Butters can't do.

In other words, if you have the money and time, climb the mountain and get yourself one if that's what you really want....just don't return from the journey with a shaved head daring people to snatch the pebble from your hand. Sooner or later someone will do it and you'll realize that you bought a pistol and not Excalibur. That can be a painful realization for those who worshiped at the monastery of the 1911.

Beamish
03-14-2011, 03:27 PM
One time this guy let me put a magazine through his HiPoint 45. WOW - That made an impression. :rolleyes:

Pennzoil
03-14-2011, 03:37 PM
I've made this mistake before shooting someone's gold cup. I just thought of all the training, ammo and gear I can get with difference in cash. Would be interesting if he would of shot with your setup. Did you notice if you out shoot him with his own pistol?

Business_Casual
03-14-2011, 04:13 PM
When the chips are down, will that accuracy increase your combat effectiveness or will you wish you had eight more bullets to launch?

B_C

ToddG
03-14-2011, 06:50 PM
When the chips are down, will that accuracy increase your combat effectiveness or will you wish you had eight more bullets to launch?

B_C

Exactly. To take that thought process one step further, When the chips are down, will that accuracy increase your combat effectiveness or will you wish you had spent a few thousand dollars on more training and more practice ammo instead?

willowofwisp
03-14-2011, 07:12 PM
I owned a les baer Premiere II for about 6 months and put around 3k rounds through it, I have been heavily shooting 1911's since i was 15 years old...they are easy to shoot but require maintainance and often special tools to fix or repair them.

There is that saying....show your friends your (insert 1911 here) and show your enemies your (insert glock, m&p or Hk)

MTechnik
03-14-2011, 07:18 PM
Did you notice if you out shoot him with his own pistol?

He was pretty good. He had printed out two strips of bulbs (each about 1-3/4") from targetz.com, and on 3/4 of them at 15 yards he hit.

But I did a good job with it. Better than the guy with the Colt Double Eagle that was teaching his friend a teacup grip. And yes, I kept quiet - the friend was still having fun.

Pennzoil
03-14-2011, 07:43 PM
Yea that’s pretty good, I was just curious. Maybe the Teacup guy was watching Jay on Top Shot. :p

BobM
03-14-2011, 07:48 PM
I had a similar experience, also with a Wilson pistol, a CQB 5" I believe. I also shot someone's Browning later that day. I did end up with a Kimber Desert Warrior and carried it for a year or two but have basically stuck with the M&P the last 3 or 4 years.

MTechnik
03-14-2011, 09:12 PM
Exactly. To take that thought process one step further, When the chips are down, will that accuracy increase your combat effectiveness or will you wish you had spent a few thousand dollars on more training and more practice ammo instead?

This just coming home with me is my answer to that question:
http://i.imgur.com/LtIWL.jpg

Pennzoil
03-15-2011, 02:53 AM
This just coming home with me is my answer to that question:
http://i.imgur.com/LtIWL.jpg

Nice choice!

JDM
03-15-2011, 06:34 AM
This happened to me.

MP5K sear gun.

Good thing I don't have many thousands of dollars laying around.