PDA

View Full Version : Getcher 3” barrel m10

serialsolver
12-06-2019, 03:41 PM
https://www.centuryarms.com/smith-wesson-model-10-5-38-special-19058.html

Don’t know the price but it’s between $200 and $300 dollars.

Hope this helps.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

SD
12-06-2019, 05:34 PM
Rumor control $315.99+ shipping ect. 4- in stock. Passing ATT.

jtcarm
12-06-2019, 11:11 PM
Never imagined I’d see a 3” K-frame I didn’t want.

Poconnor
01-17-2020, 11:59 AM
If that is considered fair condition; what do they consider poor condition?

Norville
01-17-2020, 12:36 PM
Restoration project indeed.

Stephanie B
01-17-2020, 04:07 PM
If that's representative, the sideplate screws are not buggered up.

Oukaapie
01-17-2020, 07:37 PM
Never imagined I’d see a 3” K-frame I didn’t want.

Seriously.

sparkyfender
01-18-2020, 06:02 PM
I have been wanting a K frame S&W in the 3" flavor.

Can't go for one of these, however. Too rough for me.

Jim Watson
01-20-2020, 09:38 AM
If that is considered fair condition; what do they consider poor condition?

NRA Fair does not mean what we usually think of as "fair condition."

NRA Fair: In safe working condition but well worn, perhaps requiring replacement of minor parts or adjustments which should be indicated in advertisement. No rust, but may have corrosion pits which do not render article unsafe or inoperable.

I think "casual conversation fair" would be more like NRA Good: In safe working condition, minor wear on working surfaces, no broken parts, no corrosion or pitting that will interfere with proper functioning.

Poor only shows up for antiques: Major and minor parts replaced; major replacement parts required and extensive restoration needed; metal deeply pitted; principal lettering, numerals and design obliterated, wood badly scratched, bruised, cracked or broken; mechanically inoperative; generally undesirable as a collector's firearm.

SeriousStudent
01-20-2020, 10:34 AM
I haz a sad.

I have a buddy that still has a media blaster cabinet setup, I think. He used to do AK build projects. I's be tempted to snag on of these, have him blast the finish, then send it off to Robar for NP3. But Robar ain't refinishing, so that's a no. :(

I have a nickel-plated 3" Model 10, that Wayne Dobbs thinks was an old FBI gun. It shoots very, very well, but the finish is pretty rough. Makes for a great sleeper gun to show up at a range with.

It's a round butt, though. I'll dig it out of the safe and post some pics.

Jim Watson
01-20-2020, 10:52 AM
blast the finish, then send it off to Robar for NP3. But Robar ain't refinishing, so that's a no. :(

I understand there is somebody with a FFL who will take in guns and have them NP3 by the parent plating company.

SeriousStudent
01-20-2020, 03:05 PM
I understand there is somebody with a FFL who will take in guns and have them NP3 by the parent plating company.

Oh neat! Thanks Jim, I was not aware of that. I will do some research and see what I can find out.

I have a couple of other diamonds in the rough that could use that treatment.

Jim Watson
01-20-2020, 03:59 PM
Here for NP3
https://wrightarmory.com/np3-metal-finishing/

Poconnor
01-20-2020, 04:35 PM
That’s the fun part of buying used guns. I would call that model 10 in poor condition. The finish is beyond worn. It looks like it was covered in rust that was scrubbed off. I don’t know if NP3 would fill in the pits. $125 buck and I would take a chance and try and rescue it. But $ 320 plus shipping plus transfer plus NP3? You would even up to $700 bucks. I would just buy a used model 64 or 65 3”

medmo
01-21-2020, 12:21 AM
I haz a sad.

I have a buddy that still has a media blaster cabinet setup, I think. He used to do AK build projects. I's be tempted to snag on of these, have him blast the finish, then send it off to Robar for NP3. But Robar ain't refinishing, so that's a no. :(

Judging from the pics the pitting will still be visible after blasting. They look deep and plentiful. No coating (nickel, chrome, NP3, oxide, etc.) will fill pits. It will show the finish underneath. Think the only thing that might conceal it would be large grit size sand blast and a phosphate coat. Even if that worked it would be one really ugly S&W. Operation was a success but the patient died....

SeriousStudent
01-21-2020, 06:56 PM
Judging from the pics the pitting will still be visible after blasting. They look deep and plentiful. No coating (nickel, chrome, NP3, oxide, etc.) will fill pits. It will show the finish underneath. Think the only thing that might conceal it would be large grit size sand blast and a phosphate coat. Even if that worked it would be one really ugly S&W. Operation was a success but the patient died....

Understood.

But I have beautiful guns that I occasionally shoot, and then I have shooters. I guess it's my background as a recovering crayon-eater. I don't mind something that looks used but operational, if the price is reflective of those facts.

medmo
01-21-2020, 11:00 PM
I guess it's my background as a recovering crayon-eater. I don't mind something that looks used but operational, if the price is reflective of those facts.

I whole heartedly endorse the consumption of crayons being a crayon connoisseur myself. I’d be concerned with bore condition and chamber finish also. It might be more than cosmetic.

19852+
01-22-2020, 09:34 AM
Understood.

But I have beautiful guns that I occasionally shoot, and then I have shooters. I guess it's my background as a recovering crayon-eater. I don't mind something that looks used but operational, if the price is reflective of those facts.

Yup, I found a 3" Ruger Speed Six in 9mm once in my LGS. Mechanically it was fine but the finish was "experienced" . I would have bought it right then and there but the asking price was absurd, something north of $700.00

Jim Watson
01-22-2020, 10:21 AM
Nothing is going to "fill in the pits".
If IF you were set up to do your own work, abrasive blast + spray n bake would give you a serviceable gun. But I do not consider it worth paying somebody to work on.

SeriousStudent
01-22-2020, 06:46 PM
Nothing is going to "fill in the pits".
If IF you were set up to do your own work, abrasive blast + spray n bake would give you a serviceable gun. But I do not consider it worth paying somebody to work on.

I do have some Brownell's Aluma-Hyde. Might be worth it as a crotchety old man winter gun project.