PDA

View Full Version : BoloWrap

Blades
12-04-2019, 09:10 PM
Anyone seen the BoloWrap (https://wraptechnologies.com/)?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XhjC7VszAiA

I use to make bolo's when I was a kid and have my little brother run to test them on him. I'm guessing having a laser will make it easier to aim then swinging it over your head when your 11.

Totem Polar
12-05-2019, 12:22 AM
As a secondary option, why not? Anything that keeps someone on the edge of getting shot from actually getting shot can’t be entirely bad.

AKDoug
12-05-2019, 01:24 AM
I want to see in a force on force training. Would be interesting to see if rapid movement might lessen it's effectiveness.

On the other hand, I wish I had one of those things this morning when a moose tried to stomp me in my driveway.

AMC
12-05-2019, 01:34 AM
I know LAPD is about to start a 90 day pilot program of them. We have a few for T&E....our agency is looking for less and non lethal alternatives, since we are never, ever getting Tasers. I was more impressed than I thought I would be by the live fire demo (and I do mean live fire....these things are classed as firearms by the ATF), but there are still serious limitations. I think it's an intriguing idea that isnt quite ready for prime time yet. That's why they're looking for agencies to field test them....to discover limitations and drawbacks. Kinda beta testing....but that is how these things usually develop in the real world.

john c
12-05-2019, 10:27 AM
..our agency is looking for less and non lethal alternatives, since we are never, ever getting Tasers.

Why no tasers? I know 15-20 years ago they had a bad rap from some quarters. But still?

Is it just community pressure groups with an old grudge against tasers? Or are their current issues?

LittleLebowski
12-05-2019, 10:30 AM
That is wild.

AMC
12-05-2019, 10:42 AM
Why no tasers? I know 15-20 years ago they had a bad rap from some quarters. But still?

Is it just community pressure groups with an old grudge against tasers? Or are their current issues?

The issue is not with tasers. It is an institutional hostility to the police that permeates every aspect of local government. After 15 years of trying, we finally got the Police Commission to see reason and vote to start a Taser program. The policy they instituted was so restrictive however that tasers would likely not be a useful force option for us. Our POA foolishly I think went to the voters to enshrine a policy in city law that would be more workable. The chief opposes doing it this way because it would have removed his ability to alter the policy as necessary, and the voters agreed. The Board of Supervisors then said the vote showed that the public didn't want us to have tasers, and stripped the money from our budget. They just know that the only reason we want tasers is to torture and murder people of color. That last part is, by the way, literally what many of them have publicly stated.

blues
12-05-2019, 11:25 AM
They just know that the only reason we want tasers is to torture and murder people of color. That last part is, by the way, literally what many of them have publicly stated.

From what I glean on the news daily, that point of view appears to be the justification for everything these days, regardless of venue...marketplace, education, sports management, corporate, the law and law enforcement...there's no place that doesn't seem to play the card, warranted or not.

When "crying wolf" is the norm, there's nothing to distinguish the actual cases of abuse and that's where the real injustice lies.

psalms144.1
12-05-2019, 11:43 AM
I have a very attractive 16 year old daughter. I need a belt-fed version of this to use on boys sniffing around...

Hieronymous
12-05-2019, 12:55 PM
Looks like a good option for officers with less physical size/strength.

whomever
12-05-2019, 01:38 PM
A couple of thoughts:

1)I'd guess that wrapping legs of anyone who isn't going to just calmly stand there is going to result in a fall, so there will be the occasional serious head injury. I suppose tasers have the same concern.

2)From the slo-mo at the company web site, it looks like you need a fair amount of clearance to the sides and back of the target, or the cords are going to be hitting door frames, adjacent people, etc, instead of wrapping the suspect.

3)How often do suspects stand there with their arms at their side?

(I made a three-strand one as a kid and spent happy hours hunting trees. They do move out pretty well; I can see why gauchos like them. It'd be interesting to compare lassos and bolas)

blues
12-05-2019, 01:43 PM
http://howitworks.wpengine.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/08/STICKY-FOAM-1_v2.jpg

If you can't beat 'em, goop 'em.

Poconnor
12-05-2019, 01:48 PM
Maybe they should get the net gun from the running man movie

jc000
12-05-2019, 01:53 PM
AR attachment?

AKDoug
12-05-2019, 04:36 PM
AR attachment? Hell yeah, wrap 'em up, pop 'em in the head..

Bigghoss
12-05-2019, 06:26 PM
Bolowrap at about 9:50

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sPtcq9ylCj0