PDA

View Full Version : Vehicles & Gun Storage

ErnieB
04-24-2012, 03:22 PM
I am looking into a TruckVault for my 2005 4 Door Tacoma long bed and would love to see how members have set up their vehicles to transport and store guns and gear.

JDM
04-24-2012, 03:33 PM
The only time I leave a gun in my car is when I'm picking up my daughter from school and then it's only in there for about 5 minutes. I use a "Nano Vault" for that. Otherwise it's on my person, or at home in a proper safe.

NEPAKevin
04-24-2012, 05:39 PM
Back when I used to travel frequently to matches, a friend who is a fabricator built a box to fit under the rear seat of my GMC extended cab pickup. The top box can hold up to two long guns and some pistols. The bottom two boxes are to store ammo on the passenger side (pistol box was to show size of compartment) and hand guns on the driver's side which has a door which is not hinged and a little harder to break into. I am thinking about changing out the locks to one of the more sturdy designs that are now available.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-KfVgTojD0gg/T5cd9T1yv1I/AAAAAAAAAE4/7x9893mFAks/s720/GunBoxLeft.JPG
https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-uukXsUSvvfo/T5ceXJiyuKI/AAAAAAAAAFA/jQnUOiGz18U/s720/GunBoxTopOpen.JPG

ErnieB
04-24-2012, 10:16 PM
The only time I leave a gun in my car is when I'm picking up my daughter from school and then it's only in there for about 5 minutes. I use a "Nano Vault" for that. Otherwise it's on my person, or at home in a proper safe.

Understood. Unfortunately, I am in situations regularly due to my job where I travel with a variety of guns. At some point I have to stop for gas and chow. I recently drove 700 miles round trip to teach a course and luckily I had a buddy with me to take turns watching the truck while the other hit the head and grabbed some eats. A TruckVault seems like a good discreet way to add an extra layer of security. I understand it's not the end all be all but it's better than padlocked Pelican cases in the bed of the truck.

jmjames
04-25-2012, 01:42 AM
I have a Nano Vault in the trunk, cabled to the frame, and hidden inside the spare tire with the spare tire cover over it. You don't see the cable. Someone would need to be rooting around the trunk to find it.

If you keep it in the passenger cabin, and you are going to be traveling with it in the lock box, be 100% sure of your local laws. From what has been explained to me, here in SC, keeping it in a lock box while driving is against the law if the lock box isn't in the trunk, glovebox, center console, etc. Essentially, the "locked compartment" must be integral to the vehicle itself. Something like the pictures above may count, but a lock box cabled to the car seat could get me in trouble.

By the way, I love those pictures about, and I'd love to have something like that in my car!

J.Ja

NickA
04-27-2012, 02:41 PM
I use a nano vault cabled to the seat during the week since I can't carry at work, would eventually like to find a better solution.
Here's a twist to the question: in a few weeks we'll be flying out of town, but leaving from Dallas (3 hours away), and staying in a hotel at the airport the night before we leave and the night we get back. Where we're going is a NPE (Disney World). I could check the gun and take it with me, but I really don't want to spend the week worrying about it. I'd leave it in the room, but still if it somehow got discovered= vacation ruined.
I don't want to make the trip to the airport unarmed, but at the same time don't want to leave a weapon in an unattended car all week. So far all I can come up with is leaving it in the Nano vault and hiding it, maybe in the spare tire well. Or, I was even thinking of disassembling it and really hiding the smaller pieces in various places in the vehicle, so that at least a thief might not get away with a functional gun. Thoughts?

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

HeadHunter
04-27-2012, 02:46 PM
I use a Nano Vault in my Grand Cherokee. When I have to leave guns unattended for long periods of time out of my house, I separate a critical component from the rest. The yoke on a revolver works well, as does the slide stop on a metal S&W autoloader.

EMC
04-27-2012, 07:58 PM
Understood. Unfortunately, I am in situations regularly due to my job where I travel with a variety of guns. At some point I have to stop for gas and chow. I recently drove 700 miles round trip to teach a course and luckily I had a buddy with me to take turns watching the truck while the other hit the head and grabbed some eats. A TruckVault seems like a good discreet way to add an extra layer of security. I understand it's not the end all be all but it's better than padlocked Pelican cases in the bed of the truck.

Ernie, tell the execs that you need an armed security detail for these trips (me). I can teach the M240B and M2 class as a bonus.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

ErnieB
04-27-2012, 08:14 PM
Ernie, tell the execs that you need an armed security detail for these trips (me). I can teach the M240B and M2 class as a bonus.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

I need a pintle mount for my truck then we are in business. Something like this would work perfectly!

http://i245.photobucket.com/albums/gg80/erniebeckwith/toyotatacomav627ki.jpg

RoyGBiv
04-27-2012, 10:31 PM
Nano vault with a cable around the base of the seat.
Tuck the whole thing under the floor mat.
Have insurance that covers firearms theft.
Use it as little as possible (carry wherever possible)

http://images1.opticsplanet.com/365-240-ffffff/opplanet-gunvault-nanovault-gun-safe-nv100-main.jpg

ErnieB
04-28-2012, 12:32 AM
Guys,

Thanks for all the tips. I'm afraid I need to be a bit more clear about what I am trying to achieve. I am looking for ways to transport several long guns and handguns at once. Though the NanoVault is cool, the capacity is way too small for what I am trying to do. Hence, the TruckVault type storage. I have seen some custom made bed cabinets and now I am at the point of either buying one or making one. If you have made a custom cabinet for your rig I would love to see it.

roadsiderob
04-28-2012, 11:02 AM
Take a look at Tuffy Security Products. They make rear storage systems for LE as well as a lot of storage products for recreational users (4x4). I have a Jeep security trunk on each of the wheel boxes in my Land Rover. I use them to hold a variety of gear & tools as well as transporting firearms to the range. The inside of the box is 33" long and will accomodate a soft cased 16" AR carbine. An 870 will have to be disassembled. They also make a lot of other vehicle specific storage boxes, consoles, drawers, & trunks.

http://www.tuffyproducts.com/

This is what I use: https://www.tuffyproducts.com/p-96-super-security-storage-trunk.aspx