PDA

View Full Version : Feral Hogs Kill Woman In SE Texas

Rex G
11-26-2019, 09:44 AM
This is sad. A home health care worker was killed by feral hogs upon arrival at her clients’ home. At first only reported as “animal activity,” the story was updated to state that the medical examiner determined that feral hogs were the culprits.

https://abc13.com/feral-hogs-kill-woman-in-front-yard-of-chambers-county-home-/5716849/

Chance
11-26-2019, 02:13 PM
Man, that's freaking horrible. She must not have noticed them before she got out of the car or something.

RevolverRob
11-26-2019, 03:17 PM
Damn.

This is the kind of thing that keeps me carrying a .45 or a .357 on my hip when in areas that are dense with feral hogs. Even small boars are in the 200+ pound range with some getting 500+ and some sows are 200-250 pounds and I wouldn't want to run against a sow with piglets that felt cornered.

I'm sure that a 147-grain 9mm would punch through a boar or sow skull, they aren't that heavily ossified. But if presented with only a side or angle shot, I'm not sure I'd trust the lighter bullet to penetrate as far as I would want. I don't see a lot of big boar hunting with anything smaller than a 10mm or a +P .45. A .45 Super JHP would probably work well.

RJ
11-26-2019, 05:08 PM
Yikes.

Kinda a plus for a thirty round mag.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

willie
11-26-2019, 05:20 PM
I believe the sheriff's account but am most surprised that the hogs were this near to a dwelling. I have never heard of such before. Could someone have been leaving out food for these animals causing them to lose their caution of avoiding people? Wild dog packs are dangerous and vicious. I would suspect them but not hogs. A friend traps wild hogs on his ranch. Once when shooting a trapped pig in the head, he observed that the first 9mm ball round bounced off the hog's head rather than enter. I do not know other details. He bought a 40.

Hambo
11-26-2019, 05:25 PM
I believe the sheriff's account but am most surprised that the hogs were this near to a dwelling. I have never heard of such before. Could someone have been leaving out food for these animals causing them to lose their caution of avoiding people?

I wonder if she wasn't injured or passed out when they came upon her. I've known of them to get close to buildings and houses, and I've known them to kill dogs in a fight, but never really go after a human. Most of them time I think what people take as charges are just the hogs trying to un-ass the area. I think one wanted to hurt me, but we'd already put a hole or two in him.

jlw
11-26-2019, 05:58 PM
I believe the sheriff's account but am most surprised that the hogs were this near to a dwelling. I have never heard of such before. Could someone have been leaving out food for these animals causing them to lose their caution of avoiding people? Wild dog packs are dangerous and vicious. I would suspect them but not hogs. A friend traps wild hogs on his ranch. Once when shooting a trapped pig in the head, he observed that the first 9mm ball round bounced off the hog's head rather than enter. I do not know other details. He bought a 40.

I occasionally get to go shoot hogs on a farm in a neighboring county. The hogs will actually come into a barn with humans present.

Wheeler
11-26-2019, 07:08 PM

When I was in the National Guard we watched a hog walk across our area while on the live fire range for Bradley IFVs. The hog went inside a vehicle with an open gate where two guys sleeping, started rooting through their trash bag, woke one of the troops who then chased it out of the track with his k-pot. The hog ran off about ten yards and stopped. He threw the first thing he was able to lay hands on, an unopened MRE pack at it and missed. The hog then picked it up and trotted off.

They are smarter than dogs and can be much more dangerous than a pack of feral dogs.

I’ve seen folks slaughter pigs with a .22. That .40 wouldn’t have been any more effective than a 9mm if the shot wasn’t placed correctly.

Trooper224
11-26-2019, 07:19 PM
Feral hogs have little to no fear of humans and one should never underestimate them.

KellyinAvon
11-26-2019, 08:27 PM
This is absolutely terrible. This is a reminder that not all predators that go after humans in 2019 have two legs.

ranger
11-26-2019, 08:47 PM
When I was in the National Guard we watched a hog walk across our area while on the live fire range for Bradley IFVs. The hog went inside a vehicle with an open gate where two guys sleeping, started rooting through their trash bag, woke one of the troops who then chased it out of the track with his k-pot. The hog ran off about ten yards and stopped. He threw the first thing he was able to lay hands on, an unopened MRE pack at it and missed. The hog then picked it up and trotted off.

They are smarter than dogs and can be much more dangerous than a pack of feral dogs.

I’ve seen folks slaughter pigs with a .22. That .40 wouldn’t have been any more effective than a 9mm if the shot wasn’t placed correctly.

I bet that MRE got him in the end. Hopefully it was the old dehydrated pork patty.

Joe in PNG
11-26-2019, 08:56 PM
I bet that MRE got him in the end. Hopefully it was the old dehydrated pork patty.

Caballoflaco
11-26-2019, 09:11 PM
When I was in a freshman in high school me and some friends were hanging out at our friend Stu’s family land and checking out their old family barn. This was your stereotypical gray wood rusted tin roof barn that was half overgrown with privet and small saplings from sitting unused for twenty years, and it was on just a few acres of land nestled in between a couple of relatively new neighborhoods.

Shortly after we enter the now doorless barn we started hearing a bunch of noise outside and my buddy yells “oh shit it’s the pigs!”

My first though was, it’s the middle of the afternoon and we’re pretty deep in the woods on your family’s land. I doubt the police are out here looking to arrest some kids for smoking some weed. But, when I turned and looked he was already halfway up the ladder to the thankfully intact hay loft. Since Stu was never one to really move rapidly or climb things without provocation we quickly followed him. As last of us got up into the loft about a half dozen 100-300lb feral hogs of various color patterns came through the door and started rutting around in the barn and sniffing up in the air towards us.

We were stuck up there for half an hour or more while the pigs kept rooting around a few feet below us until they eventually lost interest and left.

While we were waiting for the pigs to leave Stu told us that they were offspring of his grandfathers old pigs who had escaped fifteen or so years ago and gone feral. They were usually nocturnal and didn’t come around often, but just happened to find us there on that day.

fixer
11-27-2019, 06:42 AM
I think the hog situation in some parts of the US are getting flat stupid.

Wheeler
11-27-2019, 01:31 PM

They were known to hang out around the various ranges and look for scraps from the MREs and throw aways from the mermite containers. Whenever we would do field problems we had to be on the look out for sign and avoid those areas.

When we went to NTC the coyotes would follow you around on post waiting for scraps. They were not at all scared of humans.

Clusterfrack
11-27-2019, 02:19 PM
I once got snuffled by a huge boar in the middle of the night in a sleeping bag. I don’t ever want to repeat that.

RevolverRob
11-27-2019, 02:30 PM
You can indeed slaughter a pig with a .22.

There is also a difference between slaughtering a domesticated pig in a hog chute and trying to kill a pissed off 300+ pound boar who wants to run you down and fuck your world up. They are big, mean, nasty, fuckers and they don't often turn away after being shot at or even hit, unless it's a brain shot, or breaks the spine or shoulder. This is why when I wander feral hog country, I swap from 230-grain HST to 230-grain +P XTPs. Better sectional density, higher velocity.

Also, this is the time of year to be careful in the woods if there are hogs around, the males typically rut from Nov-Jan. Apparently, daylight hours in the winter months are the most common times for boar attacks on humans - https://digitalcommons.unl.edu/icwdm_wdmconfproc/151/

paherne
11-27-2019, 05:09 PM
So, does this thread invalidate the what round for Grizzly thread since pigs have a better human body count this year?

NH Shooter
11-27-2019, 05:24 PM
I'm sure that a 147-grain 9mm would punch through a boar or sow skull, they aren't that heavily ossified. But if presented with only a side or angle shot, I'm not sure I'd trust the lighter bullet to penetrate as far as I would want.

https://www.buffalobore.com/index.php?l=product_detail&p=388

Caballoflaco
11-27-2019, 06:02 PM
I once got snuffled by a huge boar in the middle of the night in a sleeping bag. I don’t ever want to repeat that.

Nope, nope nope nope.

Closest thing like that that’s happened to us is when one of my friends woke up to a coyote pissing on his head through a mesh tent wall. To this day he puts up the rain fly no matter the forecast or weather..

Wheeler
11-27-2019, 06:09 PM
You can indeed slaughter a pig with a .22.

There is also a difference between slaughtering a domesticated pig in a hog chute and trying to kill a pissed off 300+ pound boar who wants to run you down and fuck your world up. They are big, mean, nasty, fuckers and they don't often turn away after being shot at or even hit, unless it's a brain shot, or breaks the spine or shoulder. This is why when I wander feral hog country, I swap from 230-grain HST to 230-grain +P XTPs. Better sectional density, higher velocity.

Also, this is the time of year to be careful in the woods if there are hogs around, the males typically rut from Nov-Jan. Apparently, daylight hours in the winter months are the most common times for boar attacks on humans - https://digitalcommons.unl.edu/icwdm_wdmconfproc/151/

The original comment and my reply was about slaughtering pigs, not about facing them on their turf, just so there's no confusion.

blues
11-27-2019, 06:35 PM
Nope, nope nope nope.

Closest thing like that that’s happened to us is when one of my friends woke up to a coyote pissing on his head through a west tent wall. To this day he puts up the rain fly no matter the forecast or weather..

Black bear put his paw on my shoulder while I was lying out under the stars and huffed that stank breath in my face. Fortunately, that's as far as it went. Yosemite, 1975.

SD
11-27-2019, 06:38 PM
When slaughtering pigs a .22 rifle is gtg not a handgun! Trust me on this one.

Joe in PNG
11-27-2019, 08:06 PM
When slaughtering pigs a .22 rifle is gtg not a handgun! Trust me on this one.

Even a rifle isn't 100%. Seen it happen.

Duelist
11-27-2019, 10:55 PM
Even a rifle isn't 100%. Seen it happen.

Yup. The one time I saw a guy use a .22, the pig dropped at the shot, knocked out, but was definitely not dead. Several of us were there to assist prepping piggy for a church pit roast, and I offered to put a real round through piggy’s head, but the guy who’d raised it and shot it with the .22 wouldn’t hear of it. “No, no, it’s good enough, it’s done.” While we were “discussing” that if piggy got back up, I was going to do it anyway, a Hawaiian guy grabbed a big knife and straddled the very much alive but unconscious 250# piggy, lifted the front leg, and stabbed piggy through the brachial artery and into the chest. Bleed out was fast - the knife was turned away from the heart by a rib, and the heart was still beating several minutes after the .22 rifle head shot. That brachial artery was a spout of red until the blood volume dropped.

Joe in PNG
11-27-2019, 11:01 PM
In my case, a buddy was going to pop a piggy, and I was along to drive it to the butcher in a pickup (I was also up for a share of the tasty pork, so I did not mind at all).

He had an old break action .22, and was also holding a knife in his left hand- plan was to shoot, then bleed.
What happened is the first shot didn't penetrate, and the piggy started to freak out.
He goes to quickly reload, and gives himself a good slice on the hand with the knife.

The pig eventually went down after 3 or 4 more shots, and the freezer was eventually full, but he didn't have a good time doing it.

AKDoug
11-27-2019, 11:55 PM
I've had a similar experience. I hired a mobile butcher to help me with a batch of hogs we'd raised. He popped them with a .22Mag rifle. Never had a single failure in a thousand pigs he said.. until the last one at my place. It shook its head and took off running. We never could get close again. A 50yd shot to the side of his head from my 30-06 did the trick.

Spartan1980
11-28-2019, 08:52 AM
I have a friend that was evidently not born with the scare gene. I think about the only thing he will give proper respect to are grown grizzlies, cattle and bison. He's also a hog killing machine. He hunts, traps and kills on the order of 60 per year on his hunting leases. He donates a lot of meat every year. He was showing off one night for a girl he was dating and he snuck into a sounder at one of his baits with nothing but his knife and a red strap-on head lamp. Like I said, he just doesn't have any "scare" in him. He can shoot too, I've never seen anyone as good as he is that didn't shoot matches and train profusely for them but he doesn't.

He was once charged by a sow with a litter that he stumbled onto. He dropped her with a .40 Glock right between the eyes at about 12 yards, the range was evidently a bit too far or the angle too much. He said she went down onto her belly, shook it off, and got up extremely pissed off. The second shot at about 3 feet made it through.