PDA

View Full Version : HK to release additional SP5 variants

WobblyPossum
11-21-2019, 08:57 AM
Apparently HK is set to release at least two new SP5 pistol variants in the US soon. One will be regular MP5 sized. The other will have a 16” barrel. There will possibly be an updated SP5k that has a tri-lug and paddle magazine release as well. It looks like none will have braces so you’ll have to add your own or Form 1 it and add a real stock. Here is a link to an HKPro thread on the topic where numerous posters stated their dealers confirmed this to be true and allowed them to preorder: https://www.hkpro.com/forum/hk-talk/502536-breaking-news-new-2019-christmas-sp5s.html#/topics/502536?page=1. Be warned, it’s a large thread and the beginning is mostly people calling bullshit on the announcement.

Based on the MSRP of the SP5k, I’m guessing they’ll be offered somewhere in the $2500 range. I’m pretty excited since I wanted an MP5 variant since I saw Die Hard as a kid. It would be awesome to have one with all the modern updates actually made by HK instead of one of the Turkish or Pakistani licensed copies. Time to start saving my pennies.

You’re all welcome. I apologize to your bank accounts and spouses in advance.

Mods, I’m posting this in Semiauto Pistols because they’re being released as pistols, but please feel free to move it if this thread would be a better fit in another sub forum.

javemtr
11-21-2019, 09:30 AM
Post #32 is probably most relevant: https://www.hkpro.com/forum/hk-talk/502536-breaking-news-new-2019-christmas-sp5s-4.html#post3606996

snow white
11-21-2019, 10:33 AM
Time to start saving I guess.

Screwball
11-21-2019, 10:34 AM
I always like options... but likely will be going PTR when I get one.

einherjarvalk
11-22-2019, 04:49 AM
I'll say what I've been saying elsewhere about this - believe it when they're on shelves and not a day before then. Remember that HK announced the HK243 (civilian G36) (https://www.heckler-koch.com/en/products/sport/rifles/hk243/hk243-s-sar/overview.html) years ago, and those have never once materialized stateside.

Even then, they'll probably be snatched up immediately to go on Gunbroker for 1.5x MSRP and given the SP5K's stocking status, I doubt they'll ever become commonplace. In the meantime, remember that a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush. As nice as having a factory HK SP5 would be, I (finally) have a working Z-5RS in my safe already. If I were still in the market, I'd probably still feel the same way about a DT or PCS clone.

echo5charlie
11-22-2019, 08:24 AM
About 5 years ago I Form1'd a POF MP5 pistol. Even with 922r parts, the stock, engraving, tax stamp, and 9 extra POF mags I am only about $100 over dealer cost of the SP5. It's not an HK by far, but it has had zero issues over a couple thousand rounds to date. I'm happy and as a bonus it has the "Die Hard" look and is an actual MP5 marked gun.

Would I prefer the SP5? Maybe. Our HK rep was pulling the hard sell but didn't have specifics like if it had a paddle mag release and tri-lug & threaded barrel. To some those are important things.

I'm happy HK is doing this, but it just seems a few years too late as right now guns aren't cool to the public, in general.

HCM
11-22-2019, 11:33 PM
I heard these are set for a Christmas release.

falar
11-23-2019, 01:36 AM
Never pulled the trigger on an SP5K because they would need so much more $$$ to get them MP5ish.

Well, all this needs is a form 1 and a stock. Can't wait until the initial craze comes down and you can get deals on them.

There goes my APC9 pro interest.

JRB
11-23-2019, 01:54 AM
About 5 years ago I Form1'd a POF MP5 pistol. Even with 922r parts, the stock, engraving, tax stamp, and 9 extra POF mags I am only about $100 over dealer cost of the SP5. It's not an HK by far, but it has had zero issues over a couple thousand rounds to date. I'm happy and as a bonus it has the "Die Hard" look and is an actual MP5 marked gun.

Would I prefer the SP5? Maybe. Our HK rep was pulling the hard sell but didn't have specifics like if it had a paddle mag release and tri-lug & threaded barrel. To some those are important things.

I'm happy HK is doing this, but it just seems a few years too late as right now guns aren't cool to the public, in general.

The buyers interested in a weird psuedo SMG 9mm thing that's over $2000 aren't new to being a gun enthusiast, nor are they typically the sort to allow their enthusiasm to wane based on shrill public opinion or politics.

If HK does this right and offers these with the 3 lug and a paddle mag release, they'll sell every one as soon as it gets to the US.
They'll be perpetually on allocation or backorder through distributors and only consistently available via Gunbroker, much like the SP5K.

I really hope this pulls through, it'll be great to have new HK options instead of just the PTR.

echo5charlie
11-23-2019, 05:00 AM
I heard these are set for a Christmas release.

Part of the HK rep hard sell was "two weeks". This was Tuesday of the week, FWIW.

Also, it ain't Christmas until Hans falls.

echo5charlie
11-23-2019, 05:04 AM
The buyers interested in a weird psuedo SMG 9mm thing that's over $2000 aren't new to being a gun enthusiast, nor are they typically the sort to allow their enthusiasm to wane based on shrill public opinion or politics.

If HK does this right and offers these with the 3 lug and a paddle mag release, they'll sell every one as soon as it gets to the US.
They'll be perpetually on allocation or backorder through distributors and only consistently available via Gunbroker, much like the SP5K.

I really hope this pulls through, it'll be great to have new HK options instead of just the PTR.

You don't work in the business of selling guns, do you?

JRB
11-23-2019, 05:29 AM
You don't work in the business of selling guns, do you?

I'm a partner on a Type 01 FFL, so kind of.

If we're talking about XD/Taurii and McGunStore types of guns, you're absolutely right. Those buyers are totally different customers and you're right about that demographic being affected by prevailing politics. Tactical Chad that wants that totally fuckin' sick XD-E is absolutely worried about another $100 and what his girlfriend Courtney thinks about buying it.

But the folks that actually spend $2500+ on a neutered HK MP5 instead of a $1600 neutered MP5, because the $2500 one has "HK" stamped on it, well, they're not the same sort of customer, and those are the ones I'm talking about.

echo5charlie
11-23-2019, 06:31 AM

If we're talking about XD/Taurii and McGunStore types of guns, you're absolutely right. Those buyers are totally different customers and you're right about that demographic being affected by prevailing politics. Tactical Chad that wants that totally fuckin' sick XD-E is absolutely worried about another $100 and what his girlfriend Courtney thinks about buying it.

But the folks that actually spend $2500+ on a neutered HK MP5 instead of a $1600 neutered MP5, because the $2500 one has "HK" stamped on it, well, they're not the same sort of customer, and those are the ones I'm talking about.

Stick in the biz and you'll learn :cool:

JRB
11-23-2019, 07:07 AM
Stick in the biz and you'll learn :cool:

Oh I've learned. There's about 49 people that'll come in and talk big about spending that kind of coin, and one guy that'll quietly come in and just plop down the cash without any fuss and hardly any discussion. The trick is to be kind enough to those other 49 to get them to come back and buy something, without wasting too much time and without being busy when Mr #50 walks in.

I predict there's going to be a lot of #50 types of buyers when it comes to these SP5's, that's all I'm saying. Which would make at least the first few runs of these SP5's fairly insulated from the current political climate.

echo5charlie
11-23-2019, 07:31 AM
Oh I've learned. There's about 49 people that'll come in and talk big about spending that kind of coin, and one guy that'll quietly come in and just plop down the cash without any fuss and hardly any discussion. The trick is to be kind enough to those other 49 to get them to come back and buy something, without wasting too much time and without being busy when Mr #50 walks in.

I predict there's going to be a lot of #50 types of buyers when it comes to these SP5's, that's all I'm saying. Which would make at least the first few runs of these SP5's fairly insulated from the current political climate.

Glock sells "a lot". Ruger sells "a lot". HK does not sell "a lot".

My shop sold around 50 SP5Ks from release to end of import. I've sold "a lot" more Taurus G2C (PT111 when it was that) pistols and made more money from them over the same time period.

I've been doing this a while, long enough to know that the SP5 may be cool but it really isn't when it comes to a business perspective.

falar
11-23-2019, 10:16 PM

If it doesn't say "HK" on it then it is a junky clone, that's why.

JSGlock34
11-23-2019, 10:35 PM
Well, all this needs is a form 1 and a stock.

And 922R compliant US parts.

I always hate the idea of having to replace genuine HK parts with US parts. Thanks 922R.

JRB
11-24-2019, 08:25 AM
Glock sells "a lot". Ruger sells "a lot". HK does not sell "a lot".

My shop sold around 50 SP5Ks from release to end of import. I've sold "a lot" more Taurus G2C (PT111 when it was that) pistols and made more money from them over the same time period.

I've been doing this a while, long enough to know that the SP5 may be cool but it really isn't when it comes to a business perspective.

You're looking at this from a perspective of shelf stock that sells and makes you money. In that context; no fucking shit, Sherlock.

I'm talking about HK getting their money out of selling these SP5's. HK will sell every single one they make to happy distributors that will sell every one of them on allocation, where a lot of them will end up on GB before selling at a happy margin to well-heeled HK dorks. Most smaller names in the brick and mortar business will literally never see one because the average gun store customer is going to fingerfuck it and shrug and say it's too expensive. It'll get a lot of finger fucking though.

Again, totally fucking different gun, market, and customer than walk-in brick and mortar XD and Taurus guy.

echo5charlie
11-24-2019, 09:17 AM
You're looking at this from a perspective of shelf stock that sells and makes you money. In that context; no fucking shit, Sherlock. Next you'll be patronizing about telling me the sky is fucking blue.

I'm talking about HK getting their money out of selling these SP5's. HK will sell every single one they make to happy distributors that will sell every one of them on allocation, where a lot of them will end up on GB before selling at a happy margin to well-heeled HK dorks. Most smaller names in the brick and mortar business will literally never see one because the average gun store customer is going to fingerfuck it and shrug and say it's too expensive. It'll get a lot of finger fucking though.

Again, totally fucking different gun, market, and customer than walk-in brick and mortar XD and Taurus guy.

Wow.

Moshjath
12-02-2019, 12:14 PM

WobblyPossum
12-02-2019, 02:57 PM

Just saw that as well. I am excited. I just hope they’re more available than the SP5k guns were.

Hieronymous
12-02-2019, 08:10 PM
https://www.sb-tactical.com/product/hkpdw/

Looks pretty good with this SB Tactical brace. I always preferred the fixed stock version, but this would do.

Gater
12-02-2019, 09:19 PM
A couple videos on it that may be of interest:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZCdmPfHGG9c

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6-1a1pr54s0

Wish they had put the aperture sights on it, especially at the price point.

pew_pew
12-02-2019, 09:34 PM
I would like to get one just don’t know where.

JRB
12-04-2019, 02:12 AM
I would like to get one just don’t know where.

Lipsey's has them listed for just a teeny bit more than the SP5K dealer cost. All on allocation. My FFL partner made the call to his rep and soonest he'd even have a chance is looking like 4-6 months for one and that's still a maybe.
But we're small fish and low volume so it's understandable they'd prioritize the high demand stuff for their high volume clients. That's just how the game is played.

Yesterday I saw three on Gunbroker, over 3k each. I doubt we'll see one sell for less than $2600-2700ish for at least the next 6 months, maybe even a year.

GJM
12-04-2019, 03:46 AM
I cant wait.

echo5charlie
12-04-2019, 08:28 AM
Lipsey's has them listed for just a teeny bit more than the SP5K dealer cost. All on allocation. My FFL partner made the call to his rep and soonest he'd even have a chance is looking like 4-6 months for one and that's still a maybe.
But we're small fish and low volume so it's understandable they'd prioritize the high demand stuff for their high volume clients. That's just how the game is played.

Yesterday I saw three on Gunbroker, over 3k each. I doubt we'll see one sell for less than $2600-2700ish for at least the next 6 months, maybe even a year.

Lipsey's is selling them for less than they should be, according to HK. A sane selling price from an HK dealer would be $2,300. The current Lipsey's dealer sane selling price would be $2,375 whereas it should be more like $2,475 *if* Lipsey's were selling at the "HK Distributor" pricing structure. It's things like this that make me question stocking dealer programs.

Grey
12-04-2019, 10:08 AM
Damn this makes me feel tingly... It is a total nostalgia purchase if I get one, I imagine it would be pretty epic to sit around watching Die Hard holding your own SP5...

GJM
12-04-2019, 10:16 AM
Many years ago, I had a 94, 93 and 91, bought for under $700 as I recall. 94 prices have been crazy for years, and this is a chance to get the real deal, in the configuration I want, at tolerable pricing.

snow white
12-04-2019, 01:23 PM
I want one bad, I think I'm going with the PTR instead. I'm shure the hk is a superior quality but I dont know if I can justify the extra 1k.

Screwball
12-04-2019, 02:19 PM
I want one bad, I think I'm going with the PTR instead. I'm shure the hk is a superior quality but I dont know if I can justify the extra 1k.

Sums it up for me...

Now, if they redid the P7M8, they have my attention.

YVK
12-08-2019, 02:38 PM
I cant wait.

What for? I don't remember you buying anything lately that you've not tried to get some practical use out, whether games, ccw, or Alaska use. What are you thinking of? The non-NFA short barrel thing seems to be better answered by the 300BK options, and PCC is all SIG or JP, unless you're Talionis circa 2017.

Gater
12-08-2019, 03:33 PM
Some good detail on internals, receiver, rear sight swap, etc:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0jxSpgNfCV0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CIR_hveBIHM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qTOYKoZGgNI

JRB
12-09-2019, 02:53 AM
What for? I don't remember you buying anything lately that you've not tried to get some practical use out, whether games, ccw, or Alaska use. What are you thinking of? The non-NFA short barrel thing seems to be better answered by the 300BK options, and PCC is all SIG or JP, unless you're Talionis circa 2017.

There's an unspoken rule in gun-dorkdom that MP5's are always relevant. Even the slower-running civilian variants.

Gater
05-08-2020, 07:06 PM
Bumping this back up. Has anyone bought one of these? It looks like "buy now" prices are inching closer to MSRP, but still a couple hundred off.

RAM Engineer
05-13-2020, 12:44 PM
Bumping this back up. Has anyone bought one of these? It looks like "buy now" prices are inching closer to MSRP, but still a couple hundred off.

I've got one on hold at my LGS, but I haven't had time to go pick it up yet. $3k plus tax.

LockedBreech
05-13-2020, 02:16 PM
I've got one on hold at my LGS, but I haven't had time to go pick it up yet. $3k plus tax.

Since I can't see coughing up that kind of coin any time soon, please post a very pic-heavy range report so I can live vicariously.

Sanch
02-26-2021, 01:13 AM
Any updates on the 16” fixed stock SP5?

RevolverRob
02-26-2021, 03:43 PM

Ew.

Not that I have seen. And you're unlikely to get it. Because the SP5 is German made it needs to be 922r compliant as a rifle. As a pistol there is no need to bring the gun into compliance. 922r compliance is how you end up with that hideous USC thing that HK made/makes.

You can swap out MP5 barrels easily and that seems to be the route most folks are taking if they want to go long non-SBR. Standard MP5 barrel with a pinned and welded flash hider to get to 16" or a 16" aftermarket barrel. Since you don't gain much from 9mm out past about 6" of barrel length, a standard MP5 barrel + Flash Hider seems to be the way to go. Gets you the length, but the flash hider is lighter than barrel steel.

If you want a toy this is the way to go. If you're serious about shooting PCC in competition the MP5 is not the gun for it.

HCM
02-26-2021, 04:47 PM

There are no updates because it was never a thing for the reasons Rob mentioned.

If you want 16” carbine format MP5, PTR is your best option.