PDA

View Full Version : 357 snubby ported or 357 4” barrel.

Flint lock
11-20-2019, 04:12 PM
Hi all, new guy on the block. So some eye rolling topics. I shoot from a wheelchair and my left arm very weak. So, I am seeing a lot of snobbies with ports coming out. I would expect the muzzle flip to be about the same. I am looking at a new revolver. S/W 686 4” barrel vs S/W 586 L-Comp 3”, ported. Would appreciate any thoughts you guys might have on the subject.

Oukaapie
11-20-2019, 09:31 PM
I think that if you are worrying about recoil the correct answer is not to use 357. 38+P Winchester PDX or Speer Short Barrel Gold Dot are super soft shooting in K or L Frames of any barrel length. If it’s got to be a 357 then a low recoil option like Golden Saber or Winchester PDX in a 4 inch L Frame is pretty tolerable.

TDA
11-20-2019, 09:55 PM
What are you looking to use it for? They're pretty different guns in some important respects. Are you just thinking about strong hand only shooting performance in general? Does it matter for your application that the L comp is a 7 shooter machined for moon clips?

1slow
11-21-2019, 12:41 AM
Just a thought:

When I had only 1 arm fully working, I was glad for a high capacity 9mm Glock 17 etc...

Not as much need to reload. Reloads are easier 1 handed with an semi auto. I have trained 1 hand reloads with both semi autos and revolvers.

For bedside hi-cap semi and a Surefire X400 with a DG switch.

Poconnor
11-21-2019, 10:14 AM
I treat all my K frames as .38 specials.

BillSWPA
11-21-2019, 10:52 AM
I will echo the others here who pointed out that knowing the intended use would go a long way towards proving useful answers.

Also, do the strength issues limit your ability to pull a DA trigger or to manipulate a slide? Either could impact your choices.

Depending on that intended use, a high capacity 9mm semiauto makes a lot of sense. Magazine loading tools are available to make the process of loading magazines easier if that is an issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dave T
11-21-2019, 11:01 AM
Based on my personal experience, "ported" guns are not the same as "compensated" guns like the 586 L-Comp. A compensated revolver will not rise as much in recoil, but will kick just as hard as a non-compensated revolver. My $.02 worth.

Dave

Russ856
11-22-2019, 07:26 PM
I'm new to this forum, but I am not new to firearms or hand loading ammo in 9mm, .40, .38spl, 357M, and 44M.

My .02 regarding the .357M, a caliber that I have a lot of experience with hand loading and testing, molding my own bullets for, Ect. 357M is impressive through longer bores than through shorter ones. In fact it is nothing special out of a short barrel....

If you're a hunter or specifically have a need to shoot through thick hard barriers then the .357 Magnum will get the job done through the longer barrel in a "true magnum" loading. Real 357 Magnum loads are stout and out of a short barrel will throw a fireball with all of the slower unburned powder exiting the muzzle, this equates to wasted energy and more of a light show. If one uses the .357M rounds designed for shorter barrels, it isn't actually true .357M power,, a quality .38spl will do just as well.

If close self defense is the mission and target shooting fun or practice, I suggest a quality .38spl revolver with a 2" barrel. With the quality modern ammo availability today like "Underwood or Corbon" ((for examples here, there are others)), you would be well armed with a good .38spl revolver, I certainly wouldn't want to be on the receiving end of it because it would be devastating. That's my own opinion regarding the mission of defense at close quarters.

I'm not against anybody buying a .357M if that's what they want, I like the round and I believe in it,,,,, with the "longer barrels" 6 inches or more,,,, you can shoot .38spl ammo in a .357M chambered revolver also. I prefer a revolver size chambered in .38spl.

That wasn't a real answer to your actual question, but I felt it was worth making the point.

A thought to consider, A 3" length barrel ported? It might only be 2" of actual bore to build pressure in, then the last approximate inch may be port only, have you looked to be sure? If it must be one of the two you asked about, my .02 is go 4" if it's got to be .357M.

Dave T
11-23-2019, 01:52 PM
The 586 L-Comp, and the newer M19 Carry Comp both have effective barrel lengths of 2.5" with the comp making up the last .5" of their stated 3" barrels.

Dave

beenalongtime
11-23-2019, 03:30 PM
When I was looking at a ported gun that was in the used cabinet, some time back, I remember looking at Youtube (don't remember the search terms).
One reason I decided against it, was in one of the videos, there was talk about having to shoot to your side, while seated (in a vehicle in the video, but a wheelchair would be similar). The gases, and if ever a bad batch of bullets, the possibility of fragments going back at the shooter. Made me think great for range/fun, but I am not so sure about a carry piece.

Hizzie
11-24-2019, 10:51 AM
I carried a 4” 681PC Quad-Port as a duty weapon for a number of years. It saw a lot of Federal 357B. The muzzle did stay flatter but the gun came straight back into the hand. The flaming V was very noticeable during low light. It did not bother me but totally threw my coworkers off their game.

Stephanie B
11-24-2019, 11:02 AM
L-frames are not featherweights. That could be an issue, too.

The problem we all have here is that we don't know the OP's intended uses. If the OP intends to shoot matches with the gun, porting could be an issue.

(A wheelchair combat shooting match would be freaking awesome.)

03RN
11-24-2019, 12:22 PM
If one uses the .357M rounds designed for shorter barrels, it isn't actually true .357M power,, a quality .38spl will do just as well.
[/B]

Thats really not true. Especially in 3" barrels or under. .357 from 2-3" barrels can easily push a quality defensive bullet 1100-1300fps. In a k frame they are easy to shoot as well.

A lot of .38 jhp from 2" barrels struggle to perform.

My wifes 2" M15 is loaded with 130gr +p winchester rangers because its phenomenonly accurate. Swc would probably be better but i keep those around for my 4" guns.

03RN
11-24-2019, 12:39 PM
L-frames are not featherweights. That could be an issue, too.

The problem we all have here is that we don't know the OP's intended uses. If the OP intends to shoot matches with the gun, porting could be an issue.

(A wheelchair combat shooting match would be freaking awesome.)

Closest I got

https://youtu.be/F1iDOw5y0fE

Russ856
11-24-2019, 03:01 PM
A lot of .38 jhp from 2" barrels struggle to perform.

There is quality .38spl that doesn’t struggle from a snub barrel (Underwood for only one example).

From my experience, respectfully saying here, regarding the capabilities of 357M. 1,100-1,200 FPS with a 125gr or lighter weight projectile is not true 357Magnum power. It’s adequate power perhaps for an intended purpose, but not beyond what some other calibers deliver.

A 158gr bullet weight @ 1,400-1,700 FPS (generally speaking) is true 357 magnum power, which isn’t achievable through any 3”. In that respect and comparison, my comment was very true.

I would expect the K frame does do very well for you, they’re incredible revolvers ,,

03RN
11-27-2019, 08:13 AM
There is quality .38spl that doesn’t struggle from a snub barrel (Underwood for only one example).

From my experience, respectfully saying here, regarding the capabilities of 357M. 1,100-1,200 FPS with a 125gr or lighter weight projectile is not true 357Magnum power. It’s adequate power perhaps for an intended purpose, but not beyond what some other calibers deliver.

A 158gr bullet weight @ 1,400-1,700 FPS (generally speaking) is true 357 magnum power, which isn’t achievable through any 3”. In that respect and comparison, my comment was very true.

I would expect the K frame does do very well for you, they’re incredible revolvers ,,

There are a few good jhp but even the best aren't that consistent in the fbi tests.

Those .357 light loads are absolutely not loaded to the cartridges potential but are loaded to a sweet spot in interpersonal loads. Walking in the woods its easy to push 158gr swc hardcast at 1250fps+ in 2-3" barrels.

My point wasn't that snub .357s could maximize the cartidge potential but that there is still a performance gap between .38 and .357s given equal barrel lengths.

What length barrel are you getting 1700fps? I get 1800 in my 20" m92.

JTMcC
11-27-2019, 01:58 PM
OP I really like 4" revolvers but that 586 L comp is nice looking. Maybe the shorter barrel will make a difference for your use(s) but either way if I had an arm strength issue, I would for sure experiment with various grips/stocks so's to have maximum control of the gun strong hand.
But if the extra inch of barrel didn't cause me drawing problems (shoulder range of motion, etc) I would be in 4" land ported or not.

Russ856
11-27-2019, 05:17 PM
Those .357 light loads are absolutely not loaded to the cartridges potential

So my statement on 357M was true and I agree with you.

It’s OK, we can disagree on .38spl....

To answer your question, 125gr jacketed through 7.5” Uberti 1,630-1,670 FPS with my hand loads. 1,450 with 158gr SWC hand poured wheel weight lead, extreme accuracy. I no longer buy manufactured ammo and haven’t in a long time. Buffalo Bore has some interesting test data to read with various barrels if you want to look it up..

03RN
11-27-2019, 05:52 PM
So my statement on 357M was true and I agree with you.

It’s OK, we can disagree on .38spl....

To answer your question, 125gr jacketed through 7.5” Uberti 1,630-1,670 FPS with my hand loads. 1,450 with 158gr SWC hand poured wheel weight lead, extreme accuracy. I no longer buy manufactured ammo and haven’t in a long time. Buffalo Bore has some interesting test data to read with various barrels if you want to look it up..

Oh, i could see 125 going that fast. You originally wrote 158 at 1700fps.

" If one uses the .357M rounds designed for shorter barrels, it isn't actually true .357M power,, a quality .38spl will do just as well"

I still haven't seen any .38s as good as any .357 light, underwood, buffalo bore or otherwise. Especially around barriers.

Russ856
11-27-2019, 07:15 PM
You originally wrote 158 at 1700fps.

Sigh, LOL... OK, I corrected what I actually said for you, here's what I actually stated:

A 158gr bullet weight @ 1,400-1,700 FPS (generally speaking) is true 357 magnum power, which isn’t achievable through any 3”. In that respect and comparison, my comment was very true. (Look back and you'll see that's what I stated, no other claims attached to those velocities other than not from a 3")..

It was a general statement for "example" regarding 357M power. I love the caliber...............

I really have nothing to prove here and I did not invent any cartridge or gun, I hand load using science done already by others who are the experts, but I'm very decent at hand loading quality rounds,,,,, just gave my .02 of opinion to the OP and I wish him success with his choice, take that for what it's worth.

I do chronograph test my stuff, I don't do FBI gel testing, not interested in it, don't test store bought ammo and don't care to. I've watched some videos of others putting a lot of effort into store bought ammo testing, read some of it, it's interesting.

I have seen carnage up close and personal including crime scene and still do see it more than I want to now. I've seen Gold Dot HP after being pulled from bodies that barely have opened but there are videos where they do phenomenal in gel block videos. I have not worked a scene yet involving a gel block. Looked at death up close and personal from the smallest of rounds. What is doing "as good", bullet speed?? Expansion in gel block?? Stopping an adversary?? Stopping an attacker?? Softer shooting??

Just saying ones opinion of good will differ from another and in the end who wins the debate, the bullet scientist or the another? Not true, is true??

Again I posted a variance of 300 FPS without claiming what barrel length is necessary, nothing to be "not true" about that statement, you said you've seen 1,800 through a barrel length I've never tried. OK, great!

My original post stands as my opinion, I respect yours.

Spartan1980
11-28-2019, 12:45 PM
The original .357M loading was a 158gr bullet at just north of 1500 FPS and likely clocked from a 6+" barrel.

I don't know of any standard loadings (not BB, Underwood, CB, etc.) that will match that. For most of its life it's been downloaded slightly from the original loading to increase the longevity of the guns firing it. Back then it was only available in N Frame size guns. Smaller frames dictated things a lot.

For years it was my favorite cartridge and still has a lot of my respect.

358156hp
11-29-2019, 06:23 PM
Based on my personal experience, "ported" guns are not the same as "compensated" guns like the 586 L-Comp. A compensated revolver will not rise as much in recoil, but will kick just as hard as a non-compensated revolver. My $.02 worth.

Dave

Winner, winner! I've had a few Magnaported revolvers, 4 or 5 perhaps. Felt recoil felt the same as non-ported guns, the real improvement comes from reduced muzzle flip. As Dave said, the muzzle doesn't roll up as abruptly. It's kind of a weird feeling until you get used to it. I do like it, and now I want another one:).