11-19-2019, 11:18 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=euKQKWLQzug&feature=share

I’m curious to see the pricing.

newyork
11-19-2019, 11:39 AM
Heard a rumor it’s a $2500 msrp.

Jim Watson
11-19-2019, 11:48 AM
Scared out of the woodwork by Brown EVO?

TC215
11-19-2019, 01:13 PM
Heard a rumor it’s a $2500 msrp.

Yep, they just added it to the website— $2495 for .45, and $100 more for 9mm. Only options you can change are the finish, sights, and grips.

newyork
11-19-2019, 01:34 PM
Gotta say it’s damn ugly. It’s blued, but for similar cash you can do an Alchemy Prime.

RAM Engineer
11-19-2019, 05:41 PM
Gotta say it’s damn ugly. It’s blued, but for similar cash you can do an Alchemy Prime.

For less price you can do a Staccato P (non-Duo)

Seven_Sicks_Two
11-19-2019, 05:50 PM
I understand that beauty is in the eye of the beerholder, but that thing is homely.

If I'm spending $2k+ on a pistol, I at least have to not hate looking at it.

That being said, I'm sure it'll be a great pistol from a performance perspective.

jeep45238
11-19-2019, 06:01 PM

And for even less the Staccato C.

Which are the two I'm debating about a lot, just have to be real honest with the usage to guide the pistol selection.

HopetonBrown
11-19-2019, 06:12 PM
I'm showing my age, but this sprung to mind. 45025

JHC
11-19-2019, 06:15 PM

Alchemy FTW. And to my senses the Stacatto has a certain steampunk charm.

Glad to see it from WC. But it could be classic just as easily no?

Guinnessman
11-19-2019, 06:25 PM
No love for those of us who need an Ambi Safety! 🤣😜

Luckily CQB’s can be found rather cheap for those who prefer more options.

usmc_k9_vet
11-19-2019, 06:38 PM
No love for those of us who need an Ambi Safety! 🤣😜

Luckily CQB’s can be found rather cheap for those who prefer more options.

This was one of my first thoughts as well. I prefer ambis on all of my 1911s. They could even do it for a $50-100 upcharge.

breakingtime91
11-19-2019, 06:45 PM
And for even less the Staccato C.

Which are the two I'm debating about a lot, just have to be real honest with the usage to guide the pistol selection.

does the staccato C fit into a 1911 holster?

jeep45238
11-19-2019, 06:53 PM
does the staccato C fit into a 1911 holster?

It has a rail, and I have no knowledge or experience with rails on 1911's at this point in time.

So essentially, a C or a P would need a new holster regardless - but I have a crapload of 9mm 1911 mags that could get stuffed in a C, but the P holds a crapload more ammo and isn't a single stack from a reload perspective....

C also isn't available right now with an optic option, which I have a lot of interest in right now. 2020 is supposed to have more STI models, so I guess we'll just have to see what they offer.

rathos
11-19-2019, 07:10 PM
Standard P is $1999 and the Duo is $2495 so you can get either for less...

Obelisk
11-19-2019, 07:14 PM
Dear Wilson Combat, please make a Glock lower with 1911 trigger and grip angle.

Thank you.

theJanitor
11-19-2019, 07:44 PM

Thank you.

we both know that's impossible. Plus, they already made the EDC X9

BobRockefeller
11-19-2019, 08:03 PM

See Dan Wesson. Their DWX is essentially a 1911 upper, 1911 trigger, and CZ grip for CZ mags.

HopetonBrown
11-19-2019, 08:09 PM
we both know that's impossible.

Wasnt that a Hudson H9?

theJanitor
11-19-2019, 08:19 PM
Wasnt that a Hudson H9?

I was assuming he meant to make it glock upper swappable

Obelisk
11-19-2019, 08:41 PM
See Dan Wesson. Their DWX is essentially a 1911 upper, 1911 trigger, and CZ grip for CZ mags.

I shall purchase. In about a year when I can finally locate one like I am with the 92x perf.

pangloss
11-20-2019, 12:52 AM
The Wilson ACP -- not to be confused with the Wilson ADP!

JHC
11-20-2019, 08:10 AM

I should give that Eagle Claw treatment a chance I suppose and keep an open mind. Maybe it will deliver the goods in actual handling.

BobRockefeller
11-20-2019, 09:41 AM
Yep, they just added it to the website— $2495 for .45, and $100 more for 9mm.

It's hard to argue about a $2,500 Wilson Combat! I don't have a place for one (although I'd like to handle that grip texture), but if I were looking for a "better" 1911, this one would have my attention.

RAM Engineer
11-20-2019, 09:59 AM
Imagine how inexpensive it might be if they left the front strap plain, and gave it regular slide serrations. A basic "Kimber Classic Custom" version of a Wilson. Upgrade the sights, manual safety, grip safety, hammer, and give it a good mag-well bevel.

Dave T
11-20-2019, 11:13 AM

Thank you.

They sort of did with the KZ-45. I had both the Government length and the Commander length. Both were stone cold reliable for me.

And I don't see anything wrong with the way the ACP looks but then I carried 1911s until I retired from the sheriff's department and for over 10 years afterward. All the striker fired guns look like toys to me...but I'm an old geezer. (smile)

Dave

OlongJohnson
11-20-2019, 11:22 AM
It's hard to argue about a $2,500 Wilson Combat! I don't have a place for one (although I'd like to handle that grip texture), but if I were looking for a "better" 1911, this one would have my attention.

The market is flush with barely-used $2,500 Wilson Combats much nicer than this.

MattyD380
11-20-2019, 11:35 AM
I don’t mind the looks. I appreciate the utilitarian intent. But for a guy with rent, a car payment, a girlfriend and a life... $2500 doesn’t really change a whole lot vs. $3500. I’d still be financing the thing. Or, much more likely... not buying one.

vcdgrips
11-20-2019, 11:56 AM
IMHO, the magic number to get a Wilson 5 inch, all steel 1911 in .45 and/or 9mm into the hands of new folks is 1899.00 delivered with night sights and 3 Wilson mags.

Unless or until, I tend to concur that 2500 is a bridge too far for 1st timers, even with the financing. I would note that Wilson's last go at this- the Wilson 1996, was 1500 ish in 1996. I understand that it would be 2400 ish today factoring for inflation. I get that I am asking for as good a pistol as the 1996 for less.

FWIW

DB

RevolverRob
11-20-2019, 12:25 PM

Alchemy FTW.

Damn you guys.

I just spent 45 minutes on Alchemy's website building different models.

JHC
11-20-2019, 12:43 PM
Damn you guys.

I know right? Strongly considering a 9mm Classic Carry. They're gorgeous plus have an impeccable shooting reputation. I mean to inquire to them the reasons for the design of the Anomaly. The grip safety is the greater curiousity to me than the bobbed hammer.

JonInWA
11-20-2019, 12:54 PM
The skeptical side of me wonders if this thing is really gonna be a significant, quantifiable improvement over, say, a Colt Series 70 or a Colt Classic, which is about $1,600 less...

I get the basic premise, fitted slide, Bulletproof components, probably better sights. But for all their razor-sharp edges, Colts seem to have pretty decent components and longevity.

If you've got the disposable income, the Wilson's probably a very good choice. For those of us on budgets, maybe not so much. And to immediately tout that it's a significant price decrease from the slew of $3,500+ 1911s from the semi-bespoke 1911 cottage industry, that means that one has in fact bought into the basic validity of that $3,500 pricing, which I personally haven't.\ (and yes, I've previously dipped my toe into the semi-bespoke waters personally).

I guess my bottom line is this: There are a lot of very decent offerings out there today. One needs to develop their own personal metric for what they're paying for (or willing to pay for). For me, it's just awfully hard to justify dropping more significant coin on any 1911 period when things that I already have that are significantly less expensive (HK, Glock, Beretta, other 1911s et al) perform perfectly for my venues and criteria.

If a compelling desire for obtaining a new 1911 with both high level operability and aesthetics is driving the train, I simply think there are likely better values out there.

Captain Buzzkill out.

Best, Jon

Robinson
11-20-2019, 12:54 PM
Damn you guys.

Yeah Alchemy's guns look terrific. Hell, just go all in and order a true custom build starting at $7000.

MattyD380
11-20-2019, 01:15 PM
I know right? Strongly considering a 9mm Classic Carry. They're gorgeous plus have an impeccable shooting reputation. I mean to inquire to them the reasons for the design of the Anomaly. The grip safety is the greater curiousity to me than the bobbed hammer.

From an aesthetic/form standpoint, the Alchemy guns definitely “do it” for me. Beautiful, understated and functional.

Cory
11-20-2019, 01:29 PM
I don't have a huge issue with the aesthetics. Overall it's another 1911 albeit with odd front strap texture.

I guess I don't see what this offers that my Dan Wesson Valor doesn't offer at a lower price. A smidge more hand sanding and the Wilson logo?

-Cory

RAM Engineer
11-20-2019, 01:47 PM
Best part of this thread is me discovering Alchemy.

Stumpnav
11-20-2019, 01:49 PM
When WC came out with the XTac grip pattern I though it was just for looks. I was wrong. The XTac pattern is the best grip texture I have ever used.
On the new ACP, I think the texture looks goofy but until I get to try it, I'll reserve judgement on it.
If you order from a dealer v. directly from WC, it will be less than $2,500...I'll bet in the range of $2,200-2,500...still expensive, but better.
I think the sweet spot will be if WC can come up with an offering at $1,999.
There are folks that will not like a WC, no matter what they come up with..so be it. That's why there's more than one place you can buy a good 1911.

Hambo
11-20-2019, 02:03 PM
'm an old geezer. (smile)

Dave

I don't know if I qualify as a geezer or not. I am old enough to know that I don't like the way machine checkering turns out, so CNC patterns don't do anything at all for me. That said, if it were in the DW price range, I might consider one. Having passed on pristine Supergrade for less money, I'm out.

BobRockefeller
11-20-2019, 03:54 PM
IMHO, the magic number to get a Wilson 5 inch, all steel 1911 in .45 and/or 9mm into the hands of new folks is 1899.00 delivered with night sights and 3 Wilson mags.

That price is square in Dan Wesson territory and I can hardily recommend them. Dan Wesson 1911s are no Wilson Combats nor Nighthawks (and others), but they are all "real" steel (no MIM, no cast, no pot metal), unless you pick an aluminum frame, and their fit and finish is well above the Colts and Springfields.

RevolverRob
11-20-2019, 04:03 PM

The Anomaly does look pretty sweet. And it's setup in a way that would work with my Cherries Deep Concealment quite well.

JSGlock34
11-20-2019, 05:09 PM
I guess now that there are XTAC Supergrades, Wilson felt the need to introduce another entry level pistol to their lineup? I'm really not sure why you would choose a base XTAC over the ACP...the ACP strangely comes with a flush cut barrel and Armor Tuff finish for nearly $300 less than the parkerized XTAC.

I'd rather see Wilson offer a true entry level pistol with a plain front strap, offered in any color you want so long as it is black, and get the price to $1999.

JHC
11-20-2019, 05:29 PM
The Anomaly does look pretty sweet. And it's setup in a way that would work with my Cherries Deep Concealment quite well.

Their tech told today the reason for the bobbed treatment of the Anomaly was for styling. Harkening back to the original 1911

JonInWA
11-20-2019, 05:38 PM
I guess now that there are XTAC Supergrades, Wilson felt the need to introduce another entry level pistol to their lineup? I'm really not sure why you would choose a base XTAC over the ACP...the ACP strangely comes with a flush cut barrel and Armor Tuff finish for nearly $300 less than the parkerized XTAC.

I'd rather see Wilson offer a true entry level pistol with a plain front strap, offered in any color you want so long as it is black, and get the price to $1999.

Similarly, I'd like to see a Colt Series 70 Reproduction with a 25 LPI frontstrap checkering and mild dehorning for $1,000 or slightly less. Stainless steel would be good, and it wouldn't have to have fancy polished flats, either.

Best, Jon

theJanitor
11-20-2019, 08:57 PM

I've been thinking the same for awhile. They've got so many gimmicks, that a plain pistol would be a treat.

Like the old 1996a2. $1345 according to my old 1997 catalog

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20191121/697f1cd4d37cb68d4649248e72b3cf9f.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RevolverRob
11-20-2019, 10:04 PM
Their tech told today the reason for the bobbed treatment of the Anomaly was for styling. Harkening back to the original 1911

Doesn't matter much to me.

The abbreviated grip safety and bobbed hammer will allow the beavertail and hammer spur to not stab me, which is the problem running a Commander or CCO in a Cherries holster currently. Enough so, I've thought of doing an abbreviated grip safety and the SFS kit. But this could be a good alternative.

Also, it looks awesome.

SecondsCount
11-20-2019, 10:13 PM
I don't have a huge issue with the aesthetics. Overall it's another 1911 albeit with odd front strap texture.

I guess I don't see what this offers that my Dan Wesson Valor doesn't offer at a lower price. A smidge more hand sanding and the Wilson logo?

-Cory

But, but you get ARMOR TOUGH coating and EAGLE CLAW checkering.

With Dan Wesson you get a finish that will last a lot longer than a paint job.

AKDoug
11-21-2019, 01:06 AM
Doesn't matter much to me.

The abbreviated grip safety and bobbed hammer will allow the beavertail and hammer spur to not stab me, which is the problem running a Commander or CCO in a Cherries holster currently. Enough so, I've thought of doing an abbreviated grip safety and the SFS kit. But this could be a good alternative.

Also, it looks awesome.

Just do it.. there's one available with no wait. https://alchemy1911.com/available-guns/

Cory
11-21-2019, 06:59 AM
But, but you get ARMOR TOUGH coating and EAGLE CLAW checkering.

With Dan Wesson you get a finish that will last a lot longer than a paint job.

Yup. Plus tried and true 25LPI front strap and mainspring housing. Along with in my opinion a cleaner look because of the nearly bare slide.

-Cory

RevolverRob
11-21-2019, 08:36 AM
Just do it.. there's one available with no wait. https://alchemy1911.com/available-guns/

Ugh.

Truck parts are expensive, tho. After I deal with the FJ, I’ll have to put a deposit down.

Robinson
11-21-2019, 10:45 AM
Similarly, I'd like to see a Colt Series 70 Reproduction with a 25 LPI frontstrap checkering and mild dehorning for $1,000 or slightly less. Stainless steel would be good, and it wouldn't have to have fancy polished flats, either.

Best, Jon

You mean a S70 Repro as in a traditional model with no firing pin safety, or a true Series 70 Reproduction with the correct bushing, ejection port, roll marks, and slide catch notch placement?

Either way the main reason that won't happen is that most people who want one of the traditional Colt models don't care about front strap checkering. Sort of goes against the whole "traditional" concept. Fusion Firearms will sell you one though.

From a pricing standpoint that would be reachable, since there are Colt models available with front strap checkering at around the $1000-1100 mark currently.

JonInWA
11-21-2019, 12:24 PM
You mean a S70 Repro as in a traditional model with no firing pin safety, or a true Series 70 Reproduction with the correct bushing, ejection port, roll marks, and slide catch notch placement?

Either way the main reason that won't happen is that most people who want one of the traditional Colt models don't care about front strap checkering. Sort of goes against the whole "traditional" concept. Fusion Firearms will sell you one though.

From a pricing standpoint that would be reachable, since there are Colt models available with front strap checkering at around the $1000-1100 mark currently.

Ha ha-great arcane Colt style points! Realistically, I don't think anyone is yearning for the collet bushing (and CNC controlled manufacturing tolerances has eliminated the need for them). I don't personally get bent around the axle (every pun intended) about the traditional versus the currently modified location Colt is using for the slide notch placement, and as long as the rollmarkings are tastefully done (and preferably with the rampant pony) and apropos, I'm fine with that, too.

Basically, I think that the basic Series 70 Reproductions were fine; reportedly, Colt is vacillating on whether or not to keep them in their line-up or just concentrate on the new Classic, which is basically a rebadged Series 80 without a FPS. My druthers for a relatively minor, but I think important improvement would be for them to concentrate on a mild slide and frame dehorning, either in regards to the Series 70 Repro or Classic.

25 LPI frontstrap checkering would be nice, but operationally there are some excellent alternatives, some of them arguably more aesthetically desirable than other for providing increased frontstrap grip (or providing an effective work-around). The Wilson foil checkering piece and /or Pierce rubber frontstrap fingergroove insert come to mind, as do adhesive applique pieces for the frontstrap. The work-around that I've personally is to go with a good set of G10 grips, as the inherent chalky grippiness of the G10 material offsets the relative slipperiness of a bald frontstrap.

Colt has come up with some interesting variations; the problem with Colt is in determining which are orderable SKUs and which are simply the results of what appears to be episodic parts-bin clean-outs. I'd prefer there to be an orderable model in the line-up, at least for a year or two.

Best, Jon

DAB
11-21-2019, 01:18 PM
Wilson, in his book, "Gun Guy", writes about needing to make pistols that draw the customers eye in the display case, they have to be visually attractive if you hope to get the customer to say "can i see that one".

this pistol fails on that aspect. it's just plain. reminds me of the old Colt 1991 model with the plain finishes and ugly roll markings. It was their budget offering long ago.

you can get a real nice Colt Gold Cup Trophy for 1700+tax.

maybe i'll be wrong, and they'll sell lots of them.

M2CattleCo
11-21-2019, 01:47 PM
https://photos.smugmug.com/My-First-Gallery/i-W7c5SBz/0/951b5c2c/M/4BB8F470-4832-4121-B740-121C2934430E-M.jpg

Trukinjp13
11-21-2019, 01:52 PM
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20191121/41f1673fb74a0f2079669a2a5186316d.jpg

Just saying. 1100$ shipped.

RAM Engineer
11-21-2019, 03:02 PM
Just saying. 1100$ shipped.

That with a steel frame, no checkering on the FS, and a non-radiused butt, and that's exactly what every maker of 1911s needs to offer.

Basically the same philosophy behind the "Loaded" series from Springfield, and the old "Custom" series from Kimber back when they didn't suck.

Robinson
11-21-2019, 03:57 PM
you can get a real nice Colt Gold Cup Trophy for 1700+tax.

Street price for a new Gold Cup Trophy with front strap checkering is around $1500.

Robinson
11-21-2019, 04:07 PM
JonInWA - yeah, the S70 Repro and S80 Government are no longer in production at Colt, at least for now. They are making the Classic in blued and stainless, 45 and Super 38. Plus they have a Black Army in production for a limited run. It could be a reasonable copy of the original if they would just equip them with the smaller 1911 GI grip safety tang and a pony on the slide. Some of the parts are very authentic, the things I mentioned notwithstanding.

None of my Colts have ever bit me because of sharp edges, and I handle them a lot. Still, they could use some softening of the edges I suppose. Cooper thought so.

The front strap checkering on my Special Combat Government models is very nice, and done in house at Colt.

BCWood64
11-21-2019, 05:07 PM
JonInWA - yeah, the S70 Repro and S80 Government are no longer in production at Colt, at least for now. They are making the Classic in blued and stainless, 45 and Super 38. Plus they have a Black Army in production for a limited run. It could be a reasonable copy of the original if they would just equip them with the smaller 1911 GI grip safety tang and a pony on the slide. Some of the parts are very authentic, the things I mentioned notwithstanding.

None of my Colts have ever bit me because of sharp edges, and I handle them a lot. Still, they could use some softening of the edges I suppose. Cooper thought so.

The front strap checkering on my Special Combat Government models is very nice, and done in house at Colt.

In my opinion the Colt Custom Shop 25LPI Checkering is hands down the best checkering for a 1911. I own Wilson,NH, Les Baer, Dan Wesson, Springfield and Sig and by far the Colt always impressed me with the feel.

I also love the border the do with the checkering on the top and bottom, gives it a very classy look.

MattyD380
11-21-2019, 09:00 PM
If Wilson put together a basic Government gun with...

-No fancy checkering/grip texturing

-Basic slide serrations (no front)

-Parkerized finish

-Basic sights

-Basic grips

You know, something on the order of a Milspec, feature-wise--but with the hand-tuned build and ultra-high quality parts. I feel like they could get it well under 2 grand and still make a solid margins. And I think it would sell. I tend to think a lot of people want the inherent build quality of the gun, not necessarily eagle claws and X-factors.

I guess the question would be, whether or not something like that would dilute their brand equity. Of course they could always spin it off into a sub-brand--that's basically what Cabot did with Alchemy. Well, I guess they acquired it... but it's kinda like their "budget" (laughs/cries) 1911 offering.

M2CattleCo
11-21-2019, 09:39 PM
I would take them seriously again if they did that.

I liked the days when a pistol was primarily built for professional/duty use without all the nonsense.

Looking at at what all the 'high end' plastic and 1911 guns are is just embarrassing. I mean, would a grown man seriously show up to train/compete/work with other grown men and have something like that in his holster? I sure as hell wouldn't. It would be like driving up in some ridiculous raised or lowered vehicle with gaudy paint, huge wheels, and the radio blasting.

TheRoland
11-22-2019, 06:57 PM
If Wilson put together a basic Government gun with...

-No fancy checkering/grip texturing

-Basic slide serrations (no front)

-Parkerized finish

-Basic sights

-Basic grips

You know, something on the order of a Milspec, feature-wise--but with the hand-tuned build and ultra-high quality parts. I feel like they could get it well under 2 grand and still make a solid margins. And I think it would sell.

I would buy this, but I'd have a hard time choosing between it and a TRP, which would be cheaper, would have serrations and checkering, and by all accounts run reliably. There's only so much you can increase the price by telling me my sear hardness would be 1 rockwell better or whatever.

RevolverRob
11-22-2019, 07:06 PM
If Dan Wesson has actually gotten it together and is using Novak-spec dovetails there is no need for Wilson to try to drop lower in the market. Because frankly, there won't be anything better than a DW in the 1-2k range.

For less than a grand? There is space in that market for a high quality gun, but it's unlikely to happen due to cost. Colt does it best right now and is unlikely to give that up. I could only be convinced to drop $1000+ on a Colt if it was a Custom Shop-tuned/built gun. Otherwise, DW makes more sense financially.

Springfield, Para Ordnance, Remington, Ruger, Kimber, Nighthawk, Les Baer, and Ed Brown could all get out of the 1911 business tomorrow and almost no one would notice

If you had Colt, Dan Wesson, and Wilson - you'd basically have what 75% are carrying anyways, excluding the occasional Kimber, Springfield, or Baer.

The fact that the Alchemy Prime comes in at $2800 with a 1"@25 yards accuracy guarantee is going to make it hard to convince me there is a better deal on semi-custom 1911s. Hell, I haven't yet specc'ed an Alchemy over $3300 in any of the sizes or configurations and all of those go with the 1"@25y guarantee. And frankly, they are all better looking guns than the Wilsons.

usmc_k9_vet
11-22-2019, 07:13 PM
I would take them seriously again if they did that.

I liked the days when a pistol was primarily built for professional/duty use without all the nonsense.

Looking at at what all the 'high end' plastic and 1911 guns are is just embarrassing. I mean, would a grown man seriously show up to train/compete/work with other grown men and have something like that in his holster? I sure as hell wouldn't. It would be like driving up in some ridiculous raised or lowered vehicle with gaudy paint, huge wheels, and the radio blasting.

I genuinely don't understand this. I've shown up to train plenty of times with decked out Glocks with Surefire lights and RMRs. Glocks with slide work done by Jagerworks and a complete build by Fowler Industries. Those are expensive Glocks.

I've also shown up to train with a Guncrafter Industries 9mm 1911 that cost $3000+. I've currently got another Volkmann Precision gun on the way that I will likely take to future training courses.

I have no problem training with a $500 gun and I've got no problem training with a $5000 gun. I would gladly take my Staccato P DUO to train with as well. If I ever have a custom 1911 that is anywhere near the $10000 mark, I'll be training with and carrying that one too.

theJanitor
11-22-2019, 08:14 PM

I think you missed his point.

TC215
11-22-2019, 09:18 PM
If Dan Wesson has actually gotten it together and is using Novak-spec dovetails there is no need for Wilson to try to drop lower in the market. Because frankly, there won't be anything better than a DW in the 1-2k range.

DW has been using Novak dovetails for the front and rear sights for 4 years.

SecondsCount
11-22-2019, 09:22 PM

My CBOB from 2006 has factory rear Novak cut. Not sure on the front.

RevolverRob
11-22-2019, 09:24 PM

Awesome.

I thought that was the case. But for awhile they used some proprietary dovetail which was silly.

It’s my opinion, that if someone isn’t going to run a staked front sight and GI dovetail rear, they should cut the gun for Novak dovetails - the end. Why we still have Bomar, Heinie, or other proprietary cuts in 2019 is a mystery to me. If you want adjustables, they are available in Novak cut. You want bar-dot? Novak cut. Gold bead? Novak cut. Gold line front ramp? Novak cut. Triji HDs? Novak cut.

I honestly wish people would either use Glock or Novak 1911 dovetails on everything - life would be better.

TC215
11-22-2019, 09:27 PM
My CBOB from 2006 has factory rear Novak cut. Not sure on the front.

Awesome.

I thought that was the case. But for awhile they used some proprietary dovetail which was silly.

It’s my opinion, that if someone isn’t going to run a staked front sight and GI dovetail rear, they should cut the gun for Novak dovetails - the end. Why we still have Bomar, Heinie, or other proprietary cuts in 2019 is a mystery to me. If you want adjustables, they are available in Novak cut. You want bar-dot? Novak cut. Gold bead? Novak cut. Gold line front ramp? Novak cut. Triji HDs? Novak cut.

I honestly wish people would either use Glock or Novak 1911 dovetails on everything - life would be better.

They used the Springfield cut for the front sight before they switched to Novak. I never minded, at the time, but my eyesight was better and I didn’t need a BOLD/HD-style front sight like I do now. Now I’m glad they switched.

JSGlock34
11-22-2019, 09:37 PM

Yes.

And a DPP footprint for optics.

usmc_k9_vet
11-23-2019, 02:12 AM
I think you missed his point.

I guess so.

45dotACP
11-23-2019, 01:03 PM
Awesome.

I'm gonna take it further

1911 makers need to start using slides that will take the Glock style front sights. Only one that I know of (Caspian) does this because they need to flat top the slide...but I think the Glock style front sight is the best thing that ever came from Glock and if I were doing another build it would absolutely be set up this way.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

RevolverRob
11-23-2019, 01:45 PM
I'm gonna take it further

1911 makers need to start using slides that will take the Glock style front sights. Only one that I know of (Caspian) does this because they need to flat top the slide...but I think the Glock style front sight is the best thing that ever came from Glock and if I were doing another build it would absolutely be set up this way.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

The flat top is one aspect, but there is also the need for the hole on the bottom of the slide for a inserting a Glock sight tool.

That said, if someone was inventive, they could make a specific, narrow head, fine tooth ratchet and Glock sight socket that could be used without a hole in the slide, it'd be awesome.

theJanitor
11-23-2019, 02:19 PM
wilson already does this with the edc x9. and their front sight (and scrww) is way more robust than the glock

RevolverRob
11-23-2019, 03:48 PM
wilson already does this with the edc x9. and their front sight (and scrww) is way more robust than the glock

Except the X9 doesn’t use Glock sights, front or rear. It would be awesome if it did though. Because then we wouldn’t be limited by what sights Wilson has available. We could just use whatever Glock sights we liked. Similarly, the new DWX missed the boat by not using a common CZ or Novak or Glock pattern.

In the meantime, Novak 1911-pattern dovetails will remain my choice. You can get almost all sight patterns in that dovetail, they just take a bit more work to removal and install than the Glock.

theJanitor
11-23-2019, 04:33 PM
I hate how sloppy the glock front sights are. I've yet had one that you couldn't twist, and that stupid little screw sucks. The wilson one is Beefy, and the machining is so exact, I would almost bet I could glue it in, and it would stay put.

I for one, think 1911 front sights should be standard, like novak. but leave the rear up to the builder

BobRockefeller
11-23-2019, 06:14 PM
1911 makers need to start using slides that will take the Glock style front sights.

I don't want a Glock cut on my 1911 slide. As far as I'm concerned, a Novak front sight dovetail is perfect. There are LOTS of available sight options and that dovetail is a near-standard.

jeep45238
11-23-2019, 08:07 PM
I don't want a Glock cut on my 1911 slide. As far as I'm concerned, a Novak front sight dovetail is perfect. There are LOTS of available sight options and that dovetail is a near-standard.

Same. I get user changeability - but not from a security standpoint. My front sight is dovetailed, and has a roll pin through it into the slide to make sure it's centered/can't loosen/etc.

RevolverRob
11-23-2019, 08:17 PM
I guess so.

FYI - I don’t think M2CattleCo was trying to suggest that people don’t train with high dollar guns. Heck his avatar is a Wilson.

What he was saying is - the “APC” has more in common with a Salient or Zev Glock or the new Ed Brown M&P. It’s a fancy name, on the side of an ugly gun.

Think of it this way - you arrive at class in the morning and the first guy you see arrives in a jacked up, 2WD, diesel, pickup that is wearing 22” chrome rims and has low profile “dirt” tires on it and the closest it’s ever come to off roading is the gravel parking lot at the local Farmer’s Market. The guy gets out in his stiff as plywood starched IDPA vest, underneath you spy a Wilson APC in in a sharkskin covered kydex low-ride holster, on a tooled leather belt with a buckle the size of the truck emblem on the grille.

That’s the guy the APC is made for and that’s the guy M2 is making fun of. I don’t blame him. We all know, any self respecting 1911 carrier would show up wearing a hand carved leather holster with matching belt and double mag pouch. :eek:

MattyD380
11-24-2019, 12:05 AM
the first guy you see arrives in a jacked up, 2WD, diesel, pickup that is wearing 22” chrome rims and has low profile “dirt” tires on it and the closest it’s ever come to off roading is the gravel parking lot at the local Farmer’s Market. The guy gets out in his stiff as plywood starched IDPA vest, underneath you spy a Wilson APC in in a sharkskin covered kydex low-ride holster, on a tooled leather belt with a buckle the size of the truck emblem on the grille.

Funny, that's exactly how I rolled up to my last match. Only I had flames embroidered on my IDPA vest, Oakleys and a clip-on mullet. :cool:

farscott
11-24-2019, 06:47 AM
My sense of the new ACP is that we are seeing the equivalent of saturation Anheuser-Busch beer branding in the 1911 market. One of things that accompanied every new AB brand and/or variant was a loss of AB's overall market share. It appears that every Wilson sub-brand now moves upmarket after introduction, which is how the basic XTAC now has Elite and Supergrade variants. Just like the CQB started. But the additional variants diminish the overall brand value and sales due to saturation and consumer confusion.

Warren Wilson
11-24-2019, 09:33 AM
I'm getting a Millenium vibe from this thing. For anyone who doesn't recall, Wilson released a "budget" ($1400) pistol in the late 90s. I bought one. It took five months to get it and I had to send it back a few times before finally getting my money back on it. I'm sure this will be good, but I think I'll save my Wilson money for guns in their wheelhouse.

M2CattleCo
11-24-2019, 12:10 PM
FYI - I don’t think M2CattleCo was trying to suggest that people don’t train with high dollar guns. Heck his avatar is a Wilson.

That’s the guy the APC is made for and that’s the guy M2 is making fun of. I don’t blame him. We all know, any self respecting 1911 carrier would show up wearing a hand carved leather holster with matching belt and double mag pouch. :eek:

I beat on high-end 1911s the same as Glocks. They're tools just the same. And they all ride in Raven or JM Kydex or Milt Sparks leather.

Trukinjp13
11-24-2019, 12:35 PM

What he was saying is - the “APC” has more in common with a Salient or Zev Glock or the new Ed Brown M&P. It’s a fancy name, on the side of an ugly gun.

Think of it this way - you arrive at class in the morning and the first guy you see arrives in a jacked up, 2WD, diesel, pickup that is wearing 22” chrome rims and has low profile “dirt” tires on it and the closest it’s ever come to off roading is the gravel parking lot at the local Farmer’s Market. The guy gets out in his stiff as plywood starched IDPA vest, underneath you spy a Wilson APC in in a sharkskin covered kydex low-ride holster, on a tooled leather belt with a buckle the size of the truck emblem on the grille.

I would agree (if this is what you mean). That the APC buyer for the most part is probably not someone who really runs their gear hard or takes any formal legitimate training. He is simply posturing with what he thinks looks cool and makes him and his mall crawler feel cool.

IMHO there are a lot of Wilson/Nighthawk users who would laugh at this guy and be pissed that he is what helps give 1911s a bad name. To me a Wilson is not necessarily high end you are simply paying for a product that is hand built inline with its original design. Yes it is expensive, but you are not paying for the Gucci bullshit looks or for meaningless machining. It is purpose built and that simply comes with a cost.

RevolverRob
11-24-2019, 12:37 PM
Milt Sparks leather.

Carved Sparks is a thing. ;)

SW CQB 45
11-24-2019, 04:03 PM
I want an ACW.... almost pressed the trigger on a .45 PE or CC but put that on the back burner. Maybe a Staccato P is in my future, not 100% till I hold and possibly shoot a 2020 model.

Maybe a DW Valor if the $$$$ are not there for a ACW, but nothing else interests me. Till then.... these dudes will have to do.

https://i.imgur.com/1VgQSc5h.jpg