PDA

View Full Version : Beretta 81-- worth the extra $20 for "handpick?"

Baldanders
11-17-2019, 09:31 PM
https://dkfirearms.com/product/surplus-beretta-model-81-cheetah-32-acp/

My irrational. 32 desires rear their ugly head...plus I just showed it to Mrs. Anders and she was enthusiastic. Worth the extra $20 for a theoretically prettier gun?

And how much are mags for this puppy?

willie
11-17-2019, 09:37 PM
$20 is the cost of a hamburger, fries, and soft drink for two people at a fast foods burger joint. Take the gamble.

Wheeler
11-17-2019, 10:06 PM
https://dkfirearms.com/product/surplus-beretta-model-81-cheetah-32-acp/

My irrational. 32 desires rear their ugly head...plus I just showed it to Mrs. Anders and she was enthusiastic. Worth the extra $20 for a theoretically prettier gun?

And how much are mags for this puppy?

Mags are mostly unobtanium right now. Classic has used surplus for $35 each. Beretta USA was out, got some in and they disappeared in about 30 minutes. As best I recall they were just over $40. They will eventually turn up once the gougers find a different honey pot.

I have one that was not hand picked but is in good shape. The grip panels show some wear and the bluing was a bit thin but otherwise a nice piece. It's also quite accurate and a pure pleasure to shoot.

ETA: DKFirearms is promising a shipment of surplus mags around January 2020.

Baldanders
11-17-2019, 10:45 PM
Thanks for the info and the enabling. ☺

Admittedly, this is my second choice in double-stack .32s, (First=CZ-83) but I have wanted one ever since reading "Great Combat Handguns" back in 1989 or so. My wife loves her Tomcat, but I bet she will like this more.

Baldanders
11-17-2019, 10:50 PM
$20 is the cost of a hamburger, fries, and soft drink for two people at a fast foods burger joint. Take the gamble.

That is some solid logic.

Baldanders
11-17-2019, 11:20 PM
Actually, after looking at at a CZ-83 on Gunbroker, I want this more.

Trooper224
11-17-2019, 11:24 PM
If you don't spend the extra twenty and get one that looks like crap, you'll kick yourself thereafter. It's only twenty bucks, go big or go home.

JRB
11-18-2019, 12:38 AM
Always pay for the handpick - I've only been able to compare a 'handpick' to a non 'handpick' firearm from the same batch a few times in my life, but I've always been happy I paid the difference when I did.

If I may suggest, consider instead a Beretta 81BB vs the non-BB model. The BB gets much better sights and the frame is striated on the front and rear instead of smooth, and if you cross-shop the BB can be had for a very similar price right now:

https://www.ganderoutdoors.com/used-beretta-81bb-handgun-.32-acp-654235.html?utm_medium=affiliate&utm_source=Slickguns.com&ranMID=38720&ranEAID=VCSYInvXQp8&ranSiteID=VCSYInvXQp8-Y89bkaX2.eZPYLHzyIzwDg

No handpick option from Gander, but a friend bought an 81BB from that batch at Gander and was very satisfied with the condition. Some holster wear but clearly a low round count.

The mag shortage is the only real downside at the moment.

willie
11-18-2019, 04:00 AM
New .32 ACP shooters may not know that the cartridge case is rimmed. It has a small rim designed to establish headspace. Care should be taken to make certain that rim lock does not occur when loading the magazine. As each round is placed in the magazine, its rim should be positioned in front of the rim of the cartridge under it. Otherwise, malfunction might occur,

The .38 Super is also a rimmed case. It and the .32ACP have very small rims. In the .38 Super this arrangement contributed to these guns being very inaccurate. Sig was the first company to headspace the Super on its case mouth. I bought a Sig 220 in .38 Super in 1986. Much later Colt did the same. BarSto barrels started this trend in the 1970s. I don't remember if Beretta used the case mouth to head space it's .32ACP pistols.

Baldanders
11-18-2019, 09:44 PM
Always pay for the handpick - I've only been able to compare a 'handpick' to a non 'handpick' firearm from the same batch a few times in my life, but I've always been happy I paid the difference when I did.

If I may suggest, consider instead a Beretta 81BB vs the non-BB model. The BB gets much better sights and the frame is striated on the front and rear instead of smooth, and if you cross-shop the BB can be had for a very similar price right now:

https://www.ganderoutdoors.com/used-beretta-81bb-handgun-.32-acp-654235.html?utm_medium=affiliate&utm_source=Slickguns.com&ranMID=38720&ranEAID=VCSYInvXQp8&ranSiteID=VCSYInvXQp8-Y89bkaX2.eZPYLHzyIzwDg

No handpick option from Gander, but a friend bought an 81BB from that batch at Gander and was very satisfied with the condition. Some holster wear but clearly a low round count.

You had me at "better sights."

Thanks!

Baldanders
11-18-2019, 09:50 PM
New .32 ACP shooters may not know that the cartridge case is rimmed. It has a small rim designed to establish headspace. Care should be taken to make certain that rim lock does not occur when loading the magazine. As each round is placed in the magazine, its rim should be positioned in front of the rim of the cartridge under it. Otherwise, malfunction might occur,

The .38 Super is also a rimmed case. It and the .32ACP have very small rims. In the .38 Super this arrangement contributed to these guns being very inaccurate. Sig was the first company to headspace the Super on its case mouth. I bought a Sig 220 in .38 Super in 1986. Much later Colt did the same. BarSto barrels started this trend in the 1970s. I don't remember if Beretta used the case mouth to head space it's .32ACP pistols.

The perpetual wish of the .32 ACP fan: a non-rimmed .32 auto loaded 100-200 fps faster. Given our small numbers, I doubt it's happening any time soon. I recall an attempt based on shortened. 30 Carbine brass, but obviously that went nowhere. I don't understand what question the .25 NAA and .32 NAA are trying to answer other than "can we put a faster bullet in this gun?"

Joe in PNG
11-18-2019, 09:59 PM
The perpetual wish of the .32 ACP fan: a non-rimmed .32 auto loaded 100-200 fps faster. Given our small numbers, I doubt it's happening any time soon. I recall an attempt based on shortened. 30 Carbine brass, but obviously that went nowhere. I don't understand what question the .25 NAA and .32 NAA are trying to answer other than "can we put a faster bullet in this gun?"

There's the .32 French Long, but that's pretty much unobtainum in the USA.
I'm not sure how well that works IRL.

BillSWPA
11-18-2019, 10:04 PM

The .25 NAA is rimless. I would have liked to see it become more popular for that reason alone. It would serve essentially the same purpose as .32 auto in a more intrinsically reliable package.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Baldanders
11-18-2019, 10:05 PM
There's the .32 French Long, but that's pretty much unobtainum in the USA.
I'm not sure how well that works IRL.

I think of that one as "the cartridge Gun Jesus wants." I believe Starline just starting making brass.

This isn't a burning enough urge for me to mess with oddball cartridges. I just want a commercial update. ;)

But, hell, the Russians are still dealing with a fully-rimmed battle rifle cartridge. First world problems....

willie
11-18-2019, 10:06 PM
I've owned numerous .32ACP pistols and like them but never fooled myself that they were adequate self defense handguns. Some shoot better than others and a few specimens within brands have been quite accurate. Most of mine had oversized bores. Kel Ted makes a really nifty little .32. Finding a Kel Tec that functions was my problem. Hence, I can't recommend their nifty .32. I tired of sending them back even when they paid the freight.

RevolverRob
11-18-2019, 10:09 PM

Since .380 and .32 ACP have the same case diameter, but .380 is rimless, I always assumed .32 NAA was answering the question, “Can we actually make a .32/.380 sized gun that has good penetration and expansion.

If there was a proper all copper HP in .32, we would.

Also, if .32 NAA were actually chambered in a gun you wanted to shoot like a PPK or Beretta 85, etc.

Joe in PNG
11-18-2019, 10:10 PM
I will admit a strange lust for a French SACM Mle 1935A.

Baldanders
11-18-2019, 10:23 PM
Since .380 and .32 ACP have the same case diameter, but .380 is rimless, I always assumed .32 NAA was answering the question, “Can we actually make a .32/.380 sized gun that has good penetration and expansion.

If there was a proper all copper HP in .32, we would.

Also, if .32 NAA were actually chambered in a gun you wanted to shoot like a PPK or Beretta 85, etc.

Ok, that makes some sense. But if I had a .380, I would probably stick with FMJ or non-expanding JHP, just like I do in .32 ACP, and I would do the same in .32 NAA. Which is why I would stick with .380.

Baldanders
11-18-2019, 10:28 PM
I've owned numerous .32ACP pistols and like them but never fooled myself that they were adequate self defense handguns. Some shoot better than others and a few specimens within brands have been quite accurate. Most of mine had oversized bores. Kel Ted makes a really nifty little .32. Finding a Kel Tec that functions was my problem. Hence, I can't recommend their nifty .32. I tired of sending them back even when they paid the freight.

Did you try S&B and/or Fiocchi ammo? Mine dislikes slower stuff, I only have had rimlock with Winchester FMJ. Fiocchi runs great in my gun when it is dirty enough to have FTF with PPU ammo on every shot. There is a reason the owner's manual gives a greenlight to out-of-SAMMI-spec ammo.

BillSWPA
11-18-2019, 10:40 PM

Depending on the specific problems you had with your Kel-Tec .32 pistols, I have found that Wolff 11 lb. recoil springs solved all of the problems I had. The standard 9 pound springs are just not quite enough.

I also found that the .32 functions best with the original plastic guide rod, not the optional steel guide rod.

willie
11-18-2019, 10:42 PM
I gave up on Kel Tec before trying their .32.

willie
11-18-2019, 10:51 PM
Did you try S&B and/or Fiocchi ammo? Mine dislikes slower stuff, I only have had rimlock with Winchester FMJ. Fiocchi runs great in my gun when it is dirty enough to have FTF with PPU ammo on every shot. There is a reason the owner's manual gives a greenlight to out-of-SAMMI-spec ammo.

I should have clarified that I gave up on KT handguns before buying the .32. I may try one, though. I need a project.

Lex Luthier
11-18-2019, 10:56 PM

Not so strange, mon ami.

Baldanders
11-19-2019, 01:32 AM
Depending on the specific problems you had with your Kel-Tec .32 pistols, I have found that Wolff 11 lb. recoil springs solved all of the problems I had. The standard 9 pound springs are just not quite enough.

I also found that the .32 functions best with the original plastic guide rod, not the optional steel guide rod.

Mine has the steel rod and original springs. I think each p32 is its own critter. It is a sub-7oz gun.

Before someone makes the Kel-Tec crack, I would respond most Kel-Tec models that suck, suck in the same way from example to example. Like how Sub-2000s have no recoil management systems. $1 in rubber would screw the bottom line, evidently.

Baldanders
11-19-2019, 01:46 AM
I should have clarified that I gave up on KT handguns before buying the .32. I may try one, though. I need a project.

I like shooting mine. I wish they made a .22 in the same size.

Is it the shitty trigger? The craptastic sights? (I gave mine a hideous but functional paintjob to make sighting a possibility)

Talon grips have at least made it feel kinda OK.

Maybe it's the thrill of running the most influential semiauto handgun since the Glock. 😈

willie
11-19-2019, 02:35 AM
I had three of the single stack 9mm's and two of the 380's. None could be made to run. I refer to 3 and 4 malfunctions per 20 rounds attempted. Some of the total of five were new replacements. I got on the shit list on the Kel Tec forum when I reported these experiences. I was writing without sarcasm or hyperbole. Some told me that occasional malfunctions were ok. Never before had I heard such bull crap. I have not owned one during the last dozen years. I would carry a Roman candle and Bic lighter before I carried either of the above two. Or gimme a big stick. I tried. I would very much like to have a KT .32 that worked. Just because.

Mention was made of increasing recoil spring weight. I did this in two LCP's with great success. On another person's KT 380, I suggested the same and at the same time, I suggested adding an extra external extractor spring for a total of two springs. Also I relieved the extractor in such a way to increase bite on the case. Then I recommended an extra power mag spring. Finally, I told him to run S&B ammo. His pistol has worked flawlessly for several hundred rounds.

BillSWPA
11-19-2019, 06:43 AM
Both my P-32 and P3AT requires recoil springs 2 lb. higher than factory standard to achieve 100% reliability, but both are now 100% reliable.

Three friends have also had good results with their P3AT pistols. None of the three would have accepted less than 100% reliability, which I agree would be stupid.

I also use +10% extra power magazine springs in both guns, but believe their contribution to reliability is smaller.

Crimson Trace LaserGuards are almost mandatory with these guns given the virtually useless sights. Holsters that accommodate this combination are plentiful.

Do not do the “fluff and buff” recommended on some other websites. Numerous guns have been taken out of spec by this procedure.

I tried a steel guide for in my P-32 and quickly went back to the plastic guide rod.

The P-32 remains my top recommendation for people who need something really tiny, and who, for whatever reason, do not want the recoil of a .380 in that size gun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

willie
11-20-2019, 10:54 PM

Many years ago I had a French MAS 38 7.62L sub machine gun. Ammo was hard to find. I located a large quantity in a pawn shop in Georgia. Recoil was nil. The gun functioned in a sporadic fashion by running the shorter .32ACP round which head-spaced on the extractor. At the risk of being flamed I will point out that one can fire .380 ammo through 9mm pistols because it too will headspace on the extractor. The same is true for 40 S&W ammo fired in 10 mm auto pistols. Note that because I might do certain things, I am not recommending that anyone else do them.

Hemiram
11-23-2019, 06:35 AM
My phone's camera doesn't seem to like taking pics of a black gun indoors, so I won't post the horrible pics I took of my 81 BB, but if mine is typical or even close to it, I would go for the handpick. It looks almost brand new. Like it was taken out, a couple of mags put through it, and put away for a couple of decades. There is some kind of sticker residue on one of the grip panels, but the gun itself has nearly no wear, inside or out. At this point, I have an 81BB, an 85, an 84BB, and a Browning BDA 380. All were LEO trade ins, and the 81 BB is the best looking of the bunch, and even with the hand pick, it was the cheapest one of them. The 85 is the worst looking, it's only about 85% condition. I would give the 81 BB about 97%

Baldanders
12-14-2019, 10:15 PM

Ordered.

I should probably spring for some original wood grips too, shouldn't I?

GyroF-16
12-14-2019, 10:47 PM
Ordered.

Dammit... now you’ve got me looking and thinking...

Baldanders
12-14-2019, 11:18 PM
Dammit... now you’ve got me looking and thinking...

Do a search for Beretta 81 and find someone who says "I shouldn't have bought it."

I doubt they will be this cheap again.

LockedBreech
12-16-2019, 10:26 AM
Literally the only thing holding me back is that I already have a very, very nice 85BB in .380 and I'm not sure I need two of the same basic design. If I didn't already have some Cheetah variant, I'd be on this instantly.

Gater
12-19-2019, 10:58 AM
Just got an email from BUSA:

"Model 81 Magazine Back in Stock!"

https://www.berettausa.com/en-us/beretta-81-81b-81bb-81f-81fs-magazine-32-auto-12-rd/c85888/

$48.50

Wheeler
12-19-2019, 02:50 PM
Literally the only thing holding me back is that I already have a very, very nice 85BB in .380 and I'm not sure I need two of the same basic design. If I didn't already have some Cheetah variant, I'd be on this instantly.

That is weak logic. You need remedial enabling. :)

GyroF-16
12-19-2019, 02:55 PM
Just got an email from BUSA:

"Model 81 Magazine Back in Stock!"

https://www.berettausa.com/en-us/beretta-81-81b-81bb-81f-81fs-magazine-32-auto-12-rd/c85888/

$48.50

And use promo code MAG25 to take 25% off that price.
Brings it down to $36.37

Jim Watson
12-19-2019, 03:02 PM
Ordered.

Wood grips make a double stack even bulkier. I prefer the plastic for handling. I looked at an 85 single stack with wood grips and it was about as broad in the butt as the 84 with plastic.

Wheeler
12-21-2019, 09:52 AM
And use promo code MAG25 to take 25% off that price.
Brings it down to $36.37

Beretta says that promo code is invalid.

Sero Sed Serio
12-21-2019, 10:05 AM

Try XMAS35. It does seem like some mags are eligible for the promos and others not, though.

GyroF-16
12-21-2019, 10:18 AM

Hmmm... it worked for me about a minute before I posted, but the XMAS35 did not.
Seems the the “validity” of the promo codes ebbs and flows.

Baldanders
12-22-2019, 12:59 PM
Picked up gun yesterday. Some holster wear and dings, but it's in decent shape. Great trigger. Really stiff slide. Not sure about the wood grips due to comment above and the fact that they are really dark and don't really 'pop.'

Pics later.

Baldanders
12-23-2019, 01:50 PM

rd62
12-23-2019, 08:10 PM
Looks great

fly out
12-23-2019, 10:03 PM
Nice pickup.

Baldanders
12-25-2019, 12:08 PM
Wife is happy with her present. (Let me know after opening it that anything but a Beretta would have been a disappointment) Hopefully we can try it tomorrow.

Baldanders
01-01-2020, 11:04 PM
Shoots really nice. My favorite SA trigger on a TDA gun.

But I probably never should have bought a Cheetah. Single stack .380s are up for less than $250 somewhere.

And I really need a Model 86.

Dammit.

Baldanders
01-01-2020, 11:40 PM

Needs: 1) about $1000
2) Wife who believes Beretta 86 would be the ultimate bedside gun

#2 is probably going to be easire to achieve than #1. I think the tip-up barrel would mostly sell it to her.