PDA

View Full Version : Ed Brown M&Ps

HopetonBrown
11-17-2019, 02:46 AM
Ed Brown is getting into plastic guns.

Price without optic is $2k. Machined locking block and extractor seems cool, but that's about it.

https://www.edbrown.com/product/mp-f1/44897

WobblyPossum
11-17-2019, 08:55 AM
Sometimes I feel like I’m the only person who dislikes the look of slides with chunks milled out of them. Is there really a performance benefit or do people do it because they think it looks cool?

Jared
11-17-2019, 09:02 AM
Sometimes I feel like I’m the only person who dislikes the look of slides with chunks milled out of them. Is there really a performance benefit or do people do it because they think it looks cool?

Theoretically it reduces reciprocating mass which may make ever so slightly easier to track sights and keep the gun flat while shooting fast.

The reality is for most people it’s just bling. It might even wear out recoil springs faster, since part of the tuning of the pistols recoil system is the slides mass. Which has now been reduced. But hell, there’s no way the engineers that spec’d the gun out had any idea what they were doing anyway.

And honestly, I hate the look too

Tokarev
11-17-2019, 09:17 AM
Theoretically it reduces reciprocating mass which may make ever so slightly easier to track sights and keep the gun flat while shooting fast.

The same results could probably be achieved by machining pockets rather than open windows.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

M2CattleCo
11-17-2019, 09:25 AM

Nope. It looks retarded.

Tokarev
11-17-2019, 09:37 AM
I see the machined extractor and magazine funnel are available as individual parts. That's cool.

Old Man Winter
11-17-2019, 09:39 AM
Nope. It looks retarded.

You're being too nice. It looks f#$%ing retarded.

Rosco Benson
11-17-2019, 09:44 AM

No, you're not. Just because you've got CNC machines and CAN do something, doesn't mean you SHOULD.

I can appreciate the 1911 companies wanting to offer something new in an increasingly plastic world, but I doubt that I'll spring for any Wilson Glocks or Brown M&P's. The main charm of the fantastic-plastic pistols is that they are functional and INEXPENSIVE.

I recall many years ago, Milt Sparks had a mold made to create plastic double mag pouches. The pouches were very nice and could be cut in two to make two singles. He gave me a couple. He never could figure out how to sell them, as folks ordering a Milt Sparks holster wanted a LEATHER mag pouch.

Rosco

ranger
11-17-2019, 09:48 AM
I am a big M&P fan - got on board with the originals and now have 2.0s for carry and range use. It is amazing how good a trigger you can get on a M&P with APEX parts. I specifically look forward to M&P 2.0 factory RDS cut slides. However, I am not interested in expensive M&Ps. But, if it improves the breed and brings out some new parts that is great.

CWM11B
11-17-2019, 10:46 AM
I share the opinion that it looks stupid, probably adds no appreciable function, and may reduce reliability by allowing all kinds of crud into a duty pistol. As one who has flushed out mustard, ketchup, sesame seeds, spilled coffee/soda/whatever out of non gun guy cop's duty pistols, no way I want open vectors for more crud.

I'm an M&P fan and have several. One is a full blown Apexed out one with the duty carry kit, trigger and barrel they fitted. Another is my old duty pistol. I acquired a second slide for it, put in an Apex USB, a KKM drop in barrel and had L&M Precision machine and mount an RMR. Both are 1.0s. At some point, I'll get the Apex one milled too. I think I like the standard trigger better than the Apex, and for the 2.0 I have (and my purposes) the Apex trigger is unnecessary.

That said, 'tis America and if people want it, hey it's your money so knock yourself out. No judgement from me. For 2k, I'd rather buy ten cases of ammo.

Greg
11-17-2019, 11:18 AM
But if you don't mill huge slots in the slide nobody will know you paid out the ass for the helical fluted barrel.

So theres that. :confused:

LockedBreech
11-17-2019, 12:05 PM
I run my M2.0s bone stock. I just spend the money on ammo. I've been very happy with them. Guess I'm just a little boring these days.

Balisong
11-18-2019, 01:08 AM
Maybe it's just me, but the fact that these start at several hundred dollars MORE than some of the sweet STI's that seem to be getting more and more solid street cred make me want an STI even more.

GardoneVT
11-18-2019, 01:22 AM
This is basically the plastic fantastic version of fancy grade 1911s. Their entire purpose is to look cool and cost more $.
That said, I cant judge against these guns. My Wilson Combat 92s fit the same mold -as do my 1911s.

If the only goal was to shoot better, we may as well close down the Gallery and Semi Auto forum right here. All anyone needs is a Glock that fits their hands, useable sights, competent training and a few thousand rounds of practice. Anything outside of that is a concession to vanity- and I say this knowing full well my choice of carry gun is not the most efficent option.

45dotACP
11-18-2019, 07:12 AM
I actually really like the M&P pattern handguns. My carry gun is a grip chopped full sized 9mm with stippling, a thumb safety, and a KKM barrel and my brother shoots USPSA with a police trade in .40 that he got for less than 300 bucks. I converted it to 9mm with an Apex barrel and put a flat trigger and forward set sear in it and the gun is truly silly to shoot.

Correctly set up, these guns are very accurate and easy to shoot.

But these are a little silly. It just makes me think of a Salient or a Zevtech Glock. It may blow someone else's skirt up though, so more power to em.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

BobRockefeller
11-18-2019, 08:51 AM
I'm sad to see traditional gun makers moving to plastic guns. Wilson Combat Berettas and Nighthawk HiPowers are one thing, Glocks and M&Ps are another.

P.S. Even LTT has expanded beyond Berettas to Springfield plastic (yes, I know the Px4 is plastic).

CCT125US
11-18-2019, 09:21 AM
One can do as they wish with their money. Some things we just want because we can, and that's cool.

However, personally that is not something I would even consider buying. I would have to do some figuring, but most of my pistols are something I have, or would not hesitate to carry. That thing has nope written all over it.

ETA: Didn't see any mention as to accuracy at 25 and 50 yards. The marketing department has some work to do.

Jim Watson
11-18-2019, 09:33 AM
Kind of a shame, Brown 1911s are pretty conservative in styling so now he gets into pimped out plastic pistols.

JohnO
11-18-2019, 09:51 AM
From Brown's website: (underline added for emphasis)

CUSTOM SLIDE

Fully machined from 17-4 Stainless with custom cuts, dehorned, and treated with Black DLC to give you the hottest custom polymer pistol on the range. Designed for a unique and striking appearance while maintaining functionality,

And there you have it. Even Brown admits it's lipstick on a ...

claymore504
11-18-2019, 09:51 AM
I'm sad to see traditional gun makers moving to plastic guns. Wilson Combat Berettas and Nighthawk HiPowers are one thing, Glocks and M&Ps are another.

P.S. Even LTT has expanded beyond Berettas to Springfield plastic (yes, I know the Px4 is plastic).

Ernest has stated that there is just no other single stack DA/SA pistol on the market to fill that role, so that is why he offers the LTT xde. I agree with everyone though, I would just not spend the money on a polymer gun like this EB M&P. I am an M&P fan as well, but now ay would I spend that much on one. More power to Ed Brown though. Hope they sell for them. The beauty of capitolism!

TC215
11-18-2019, 10:20 AM
Kind of a shame, Brown 1911s are pretty conservative in styling so now he gets into pimped out plastic pistols.

Not anymore. I always liked EB, mainly because of the traditional look, but I’m not really a fan of the direction they’ve been heading for the last couple of years. I guess they’re doing what they need to do to make money.

https://i.imgur.com/4G8xeuQ.jpg

BehindBlueI's
11-18-2019, 11:26 AM
Hard pass for me. It actually looks worse than stock in my eyes.

mmc45414
11-18-2019, 03:49 PM
Sometimes I feel like I’m the only person who dislikes the look of slides with chunks milled out of them.
I guess I thought they looked cool, the first 5-6 times I saw one. After 5,000-6,000 I am kinda done with the idea.

maximus83
11-18-2019, 03:54 PM
M&P fan, 1st and 2nd Gen.

On a service/carry pistol I like simplicity. Pimping out a $500 plastic service pistol with a bunch of non-functional bling is almost embarrassing and disproportionate. Kinda' like putting fancy wheels and a high-end paint job on a Ford Focus.

spinmove_
11-18-2019, 04:18 PM
I never understood the desire for slide cuts either. It’s not aesthetically pleasing to me. Functional? Maybe if you respring the gun. Even then, are you getting a proportionate amount of performance for your dollar?

I’m actually glad Glock found a way to seal up that cut-out on the Gen4 and earlier G34s, because I disliked how it looked even on those.

As far as general bling? Never got that on a functional carry piece of any sort. Gamer gun? Sure if you want to stand out a bit. I’ve always been tempted to want to have a G34 painted up like the original gray Nintendo zapper I purely for the lolz and strictly only for USPSA. IF I ever did that, it would NEVER be used in any serious self-defense manner ever.

Clusterfrack
11-18-2019, 05:31 PM
The lure of the Unicorn is strong for some people, fueling the market for Gucci Glocks, and now M&Ps.

I couldn’t possibly be less interested in this, but I guess if there are people who want it who am I to criticize?

farscott
11-18-2019, 05:39 PM
Not anymore. I always liked EB, mainly because of the traditional look, but I’m not really a fan of the direction they’ve been heading for the last couple of years. I guess they’re doing what they need to do to make money.

https://i.imgur.com/4G8xeuQ.jpg

While the rest of the pistol leaves me cold, I do like the "Stars and Stripes" rear cocking serration/engraving treatment. I am not sure it is functional, but I like the sentiment. Not saying I would buy a pistol with it, but I might just do so.

As far as the subject pistols, those are a hard pass for me. Every time I see a slide with windows, my mind thinks, "New stress risers to create new cracks with increased slide velocity to accelerate the damage."

Clusterfrack
11-18-2019, 05:41 PM
Every time I see a slide with windows, my mind thinks, "New stress risers to create new cracks with increased slide velocity to accelerate the damage."

That assumes the guns will be shot...

farscott
11-18-2019, 06:01 PM

Touche. :)

Balisong
11-18-2019, 06:04 PM

There's no need to shoot it if you get it in the Instagram Hero finish...

Cory
11-18-2019, 08:06 PM
Ed Brown 1911s have always been great looking guns. I believe the original purpose was to get something handcrafted for reliability, and made to look great. With these polymer guns, they start off reliable. And they aren't made to look good either.

To be honest, I don't get it. I almost feel like it cheapens Ed Brown 1911s a bit to be associated with these.

And this is from a young guy who doesn't mind polymer guns.

-Cory

Lon
11-18-2019, 08:14 PM
For $2k I’d rather have a Dan Wesson DWX and extra mags.

TC215
11-18-2019, 08:18 PM
Ed Brown 1911s have always been great looking guns. I believe the original purpose was to get something handcrafted for reliability, and made to look great. With these polymer guns, they start off reliable. And they aren't made to look good either.

To be honest, I don't get it. I almost feel like it cheapens Ed Brown 1911s a bit to be associated with these.

And this is from a young guy who doesn't mind polymer guns.

-Cory

All the changes at Ed Brown started a couple years ago when they hired John May as their sales and marketing director. John used to be the sales director at Wilson Combat. I met him once, seems like a nice guy, but like I said earlier, I’ve not been thrilled with where the company is headed.

Navyguns
11-18-2019, 09:14 PM

I don't like slides with holes either. Unless it's for barrel porting like the Glock compensated models. That, and I wish I could get a damn pistol other than a 1911 (I know, two world wars) without rails on the dust cover

RevolverRob
11-19-2019, 09:53 AM
I actually really like the M&P pattern handguns. My carry gun is a grip chopped full sized 9mm with stippling, a thumb safety, and a KKM barrel and my brother shoots USPSA with a police trade in .40 that he got for less than 300 bucks.

Chopped grip and KKM barrel? Tell me more.

I just reacquired an M&P 1.0 9mm FS, with a thumb safety, that is L&M Milled for a Deltapoint (my dad's "old man" gun). The DP's adjustment screws, but I called Leupold and they said, "Send it in, we'll fix it." So, I'll do that and then think about what to do with this gun. I was reminded that I like the feel of the M&P for the most part, wish it was a little flatter on the backstrap, but the thumb safety is basically perfect placement for a 1911 shooter.

I converted it to 9mm with an Apex barrel and put a flat trigger and forward set sear in it and the gun is truly silly to shoot.

I had an M&P before with the Apex flat trigger and FSS kit and with the medium weight sear spring, it was an amazing trigger (for a striker gun), overall.

45dotACP
11-19-2019, 10:13 AM
I actually got this pistol courtesy of a fellow PF'er in the FSOT section, so I'll see if I can find out who did the work, but it is definitely my go to lately since my Colt's front sight unstaked itself.

My pinky hangs off the bottom but as a G26 sized grip I've got no issues with that. The thumb safety is a main reason I've chosen the Smith and Wesson pistols over the Glocks, but the other is that I just shoot them better. For whatever reason, regardless of tricked out triggers or no, I can shoot the M&P better.https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20191119/a85e01d748ef5d709ddc4ac0f0ca0d5d.jpg

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

Zincwarrior
11-19-2019, 02:10 PM
What is this supposed to do, for $2K besides look ugly?

The website says its more accurate. Er...how accurate? Other than that the only positive thing I see done is aftermarket sights and an apex flat trigger. I was able to do all that and still have all in less than $1,000 WITH a sub 3 lb trigger job.

Moshjath
11-19-2019, 03:03 PM
I don't like slides with holes either. Unless it's for barrel porting like the Glock compensated models. That, and I wish I could get a damn pistol other than a 1911 (I know, two world wars) without rails on the dust cover

Sounds like you want a Beretta 92...

pangloss
11-20-2019, 11:54 AM
No company that I've seen has ever gotten a disinterested third party to shoot the bling guns side by side against a stock or slightly modified pistol. I don't recall seeing any forum posts to that effect either. If there is any performance advantage, it must be miniscule, otherwise some data would have found its way into the marketing material.

Sent from my moto e5 cruise using Tapatalk

Chuck Whitlock
11-20-2019, 08:33 PM

Here's a new one:

http://www.beretta.com/en-us/92x-compact/

Trooper224
11-20-2019, 08:37 PM
The same results could probably be achieved by machining pockets rather than open windows.

But then, you wouldn't be able to see the barrel in various sexy fashion colors.

Navyguns
11-20-2019, 09:58 PM

Ha, ha, ha. Well, the Beretta was designed with an open slide on purpose. I have an Elite LTT and it's the first pistol I've grown an emotional attachment to in a very long time. Langdon has taken the DA/SA to its pinnacle.

Fordtough25
11-21-2019, 07:31 AM
This thread makes me hear Clint Smith in my head, all I can say is good luck to them!