PDA

View Full Version : Nikon Out Of The Rifle Scope Buisness

RONK
11-16-2019, 03:22 PM
I just found out that Nikon will no longer be manufacturing rifle scopes or anything else to do with firearms.Apparently there have been rumors about this for awhile,I just heard about it on Thursday and confirmed it yesterday.

OlongJohnson
11-16-2019, 08:07 PM
I'm guessing this has been pending for awhile. They were budget priced, OK glass, way big and heavy for what they were. I've been seeing them on deep discounts for a long time.

Wheeler
11-16-2019, 10:36 PM
I just found out that Nikon will no longer be manufacturing rifle scopes or anything else to do with firearms.Apparently there have been rumors about this for awhile,I just heard about it on Thursday and confirmed it yesterday.

I heard about this on another forum but with no confirmation. Of you don't mind, how did you confirm this was true?

Sigfan26
11-16-2019, 10:42 PM
I heard about this on another forum but with no confirmation. Of you don't mind, how did you confirm this was true?

I can confirm my company buyer was informed of this. Better question is, “What do I do with all the Nikon scopes in inventory now?”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wheeler
11-16-2019, 11:08 PM
I can confirm my company buyer was informed of this. Better question is, “What do I do with all the Nikon scopes in inventory now?”

Do y’all deal directly with Nikon or through a distributor? The other guy heard it through a distributor but had no confirmation from Nikon.

Sigfan26
11-16-2019, 11:34 PM
Do y’all deal directly with Nikon or through a distributor? The other guy heard it through a distributor but had no confirmation from Nikon.

Not positive. I think direct, but I’m not sure.

Wheeler
11-16-2019, 11:43 PM
Not positive. I think direct, but I’m not sure.

Thanks for the info.

RONK
11-16-2019, 11:44 PM

Wheeler,I initially was told by a rep from another company on Thursday and I confirmed it with our Nikon rep on Friday.I beleive Nikon stoped selling through distributors.I had just placed a Nikon order for binoculars and scopes,we got the binoculars and a few scopes the back orders were canceled.
Sigfan26,we're in the same predicament,I'm putting Nikon scopes on sale.I spoke to our Vortex rep,he of course heard the rumor,I confirmed it.He's coming in this week and we'll place an order with him.

Wheeler
11-17-2019, 07:45 AM
Wheeler,I initially was told by a rep from another company on Thursday and I confirmed it with our Nikon rep on Friday.I beleive Nikon stoped selling through distributors.I had just placed a Nikon order for binoculars and scopes,we got the binoculars and a few scopes the back orders were canceled.
Sigfan26,we're in the same predicament,I'm putting Nikon scopes on sale.I spoke to our Vortex rep,he of course heard the rumor,I confirmed it.He's coming in this week and we'll place an order with him.

Thanks for the explanation. Maybe now is the time to grab a couple of P223s?

spinmove_
11-17-2019, 08:07 AM
That sucks. My step-dad will be devastated as he’s a YUUUUGE fan of Nikons. What’s roughly the equivalent to Nikon’s Monarch 3 and Monarch 5 series in both price and quality?

hufnagel
11-17-2019, 08:52 AM
So, Nikon scopes should be on killer discounts soon I guess?
Any goodies I should be watching out for?
I could get interested in a mid-distance for .223/.300/.338?
Maybe a long distance for the .50BMG? it has glass on it now that the prior owner claims he used with success, but IIRC the turret locks don't work any longer.

joshs
11-17-2019, 08:58 AM
They bailed on NRA annual meeting after Parkland. I figured they were going to leave the industry sooner, but my understanding is that sport optics had actually become a larger part of their business due to the death of the point and click camera industry.

MistWolf
11-17-2019, 09:16 AM
Colt stops selling ARs to the civilian market.
Smith & Wesson is being spun off from its parent corporation.
Nikon to stop making rifle scopes.
Supreme Court clears way allowing a suit to be brought against Remington for Sandy Hook shootings.
All within days of each other.

Tom Duffy
11-17-2019, 09:19 AM
In Nikon's just released quarterly results, sales and profits were way down and the future isn't rosy, the iPhone being a pretty good camera for most uses. I think Nikon is consolidating and scopes are a peripheral part of its business. Don't think it's an anti-firearms position.

Borderland
11-17-2019, 09:41 AM
So, Nikon scopes should be on killer discounts soon I guess?
Any goodies I should be watching out for?
I could get interested in a mid-distance for .223/.300/.338?
Maybe a long distance for the .50BMG? it has glass on it now that the prior owner claims he used with success, but IIRC the turret locks don't work any longer.

Who will service a Nikon scope once they exit?

I guess if you can buy one for $49.95 it would be a throw away.

Hambo
11-17-2019, 09:47 AM
Who will service a Nikon scope once they exit?

I guess if you can buy one for $49.95 it would be a throw away.

Nikon's warranty was never like Leupold's.

ranger
11-17-2019, 09:51 AM
There have been lots of deals on Nikon scopes recently. They tried to get into the cheap PRS style market - I have seen big discounts on those. I bet OPTICS PLANET/DVOR or EUROOPTICS or such will buy up their stock and have a big sale.

OlongJohnson
11-17-2019, 10:07 AM
Natchez Shooter's Supply (https://outdoors.natchezss.com/products/optics-nikon-rifle-scopes) is another one to watch.

But damn... Just refreshed on specs for a couple. The 1-4s are 14 oz where a similar Leupold is 9 oz.

Borderland
11-17-2019, 10:22 AM
Cabelas also sells a lot of Nikon scopes. Watch their ads going into the holidays. They don't often have the best prices but when they decide to close a product line out it's gone in a few days. That happened with Howa rifles a few years ago. I think they sold them below cost.

Borderland
11-17-2019, 10:31 AM
Natchez Shooter's Supply (https://outdoors.natchezss.com/products/optics-nikon-rifle-scopes) is another one to watch.

But damn... Just refreshed on specs for a couple. The 1-4s are 14 oz where a similar Leupold is 9 oz.

Nikon, not quite an industry leader is it? Shows you can sell almost anything with enough marketing. Even the gun writer hacks promote them.

Wife wanted her own binoculars on a cruise. The only thing they had on the ship was Nikon so I bought those. Glass quality was pretty ho hum. Never considered a Nikon rifle scope after that.

HeavyDuty
11-17-2019, 05:50 PM
It started...

https://www.sportsmansoutdoorsuperstore.com/black-friday.cfm/brand/NIKON?utm_source=111719&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=111719

Borderland
11-17-2019, 06:11 PM
It started...

https://www.sportsmansoutdoorsuperstore.com/black-friday.cfm/brand/NIKON?utm_source=111719&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=111719

I wonder if they'll put up an awning and sell them out of a trailer in the parking lot?

Poconnor
11-18-2019, 04:47 PM
I like the Nikon scopes. The glass was good for the price. What I didn’t like was the reticles. For a hunting scope I just wanted a duplex. I will be watching the sales.

ranger
11-18-2019, 04:52 PM
I need a cheap PRS like scope for my Ruger 22LR "RPR" so I will be watching for a deal.

CS Tactical
11-18-2019, 04:58 PM
I'm not at all surprised, we had one batch of the Black FX series but that's all we wanted :p

Darth_Uno
11-18-2019, 06:10 PM
I had a Buckmaster scope a while back. It was fine for what I needed it for. Hardly Tier 1 and all I shot was paper, but I'd imagine plenty of deer got killed with this scope.

So I had a friend ask me yesterday, what's up with the P-Tactical Spur (https://www.nikonsportoptics.com/en/nikon-products//riflescopes/p-tactical-spur.html)optic? They're about $150 everywhere. I told him I'd never heard of it which is true. But he's not in a position to spend Aimpoint money. "Good enough" for $150?