PDA

View Full Version : accuracy. Pretty much my (current) best

fuse
03-14-2011, 10:30 AM
at 25 yards. I feel pretty good about it, actually, considering how far I have come. Which is quite far.

http://184.72.239.143/mu/483c3804-2f4d-ce30.jpg

I have always struggled with accuracy on the handgun. as I said this has improved dramatically, mostly in the last 3 months. The main key for me has been shooting 2 inch circles. I started this after ToddG gave us all a bunch of pistol-training.com targets after his recent "How to Practice" practice session at the NRA range in Fairfax, VA. Like in the class, every range trip since I actively work on accuracy by starting at 4 yards and shooting 5 rounds into a 2" circle. Assuming they all make it in the circle, I increase distance a half a yard (the increments the target system my range uses) and repeat. If not, I try again at the current distance. I typically cannot reliably pass 5.5-6 yards, and so with that in mind, plus the odd-looking group pictured here, I am certainly have lots of room for improvement.

Glock 17 gen 4. Shooting my 115 grn reloads.

I shot 8 rounds. 6 of them are in the black, all are on paper.

(I previously used this target to rezero an AR, hence the 7 or so .22 caliber holes)

How do you practice pure accuracy?

Kyle Reese
03-14-2011, 11:00 AM
Dot Torture

3-2-1 Drill

Shooting 3x5 cards at 21,25 and 30 feet.

4" Circles at 45 feet.

Very nice shooting, BTW. :)

ToddG
03-14-2011, 11:49 AM
I practice pure marksmanship with walkback drills exactly what you described. Start at a distance, get hits, extend distance.

The key to improving marksmanship fundamentals, in my opinion at least, is constantly pushing your limits. Once you can hit target-z at distance-y every time on demand, move another foot or yard away and go again. "I can get them all in the black at 25yd" is great... now try for 30yd. Etc.

Take your time. Too many people rush their "marksmanship" practice and never really establish true disciplined slow fire capability. You may never use that disciplined slow fire capability in a stressful situation, but the closer to perfect you can be when you are 100% focused, the closer to perfect you will be when you are 50% focused.

Savage Hands
03-14-2011, 11:56 AM
I practice pure marksmanship with walkback drills exactly what you described. Start at a distance, get hits, extend distance.

The key to improving marksmanship fundamentals, in my opinion at least, is constantly pushing your limits. Once you can hit target-z at distance-y every time on demand, move another foot or yard away and go again. "I can get them all in the black at 25yd" is great... now try for 30yd. Etc.

Take your time. Too many people rush their "marksmanship" practice and never really establish true disciplined slow fire capability. You may never use that disciplined slow fire capability in a stressful situation, but the closer to perfect you can be when you are 100% focused, the closer to perfect you will be when you are 50% focused.

This is usually my problem when shooting at 25 yards or farther, I still shoot at about one shot every 2-3 seconds which I need to slow down at that distance if I want better than just a 5-6" groups with carry ammo. When I remember to slow down I've gone as low as 3 inches with my M&P and just over 2 with my old Baer.

I think a new set of lenses for my glasses will help as well lol

fuse
03-18-2011, 08:29 AM
Another attempt from last night. No I was not trying to draw a doughnut. I shot 7 rounds.

Definitely not as tight as my group posted above, and one that exhibits the classic low and left sign of shit trigger control.

http://184.72.239.143/mu/4c15afa4-5d9e-f053.jpg

I did not shoot 2" dots this practice session. I think for me, for the foreseeable future if I don't bring a few of these (http://pistol-training.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/04/dot-torture-target.pdf) with me each range trip, said trip is barely worth taking.

Kyle Reese
03-18-2011, 01:43 PM
Were you shooting an AR as well? I see smaller holes on target.... :cool:

fuse
03-18-2011, 03:22 PM
Were you shooting an AR as well? I see smaller holes on target.... :cool:

(I previously used this target to rezero an AR, hence the 7 or so .22 caliber holes)

AfterWork_Ninja
03-18-2011, 06:16 PM
Well done.