PDA

View Full Version : 640 Pro VS Kimber K6S

MGW
11-15-2019, 10:39 AM
I carry a 442 back and forth to work a lot. I've tried to force myself into using something else but the revolver just fits the role I need it for better than anything else. I've been considering picking up a 640 Pro for a long time now. I want something that's a little easier to shoot, has better sights, and is generally more fun to shoot over longer range sessions. I'm apprehensive about ordering one though. Smith's QC seems to be pretty poor lately.

I've looked at the K6S in the past and now that orionz06 is talking about supporting the Kimber I've started to think that it might be a better choice over the Smith.

What are the pros and cons between the 640 Pro and the K6S? Is there anything I'm not considering or should know in advance?

Lester Polfus
11-15-2019, 10:57 AM
Can I muddy up your thread and say I've been doing the same debate, only with a 640 Pro and the SP101 Wiley Clapp?

I know folks are having good luck with the Kimber, but it's shorter track record, lower availability of parts and aftermarket stuff, and the fact that I spent quite a bit of time trying to fix friend's Kimber 1911s give me pause.

Duelist
11-15-2019, 11:13 AM
I also carry an Airweight back and forth to work due to its fitting the role best. Unless I handroll practice loads, the fun shooting it turns to painful chore fairly quickly.

The 640 Pro I looked at was very nice, and I was tempted, but ended up getting a good deal on a 60-9 Ladysmith for my all-steel .357 Jframe.

I don’t know the Kimber, but if I’m running a small steel revolver as a training analogue for my carry Airweight, they’re going to be the same brand for same-same controls, which is why I don’t have the SP101 I had on the counter next to the 60-9.

psalms144.1
11-15-2019, 11:16 AM
Were I in the market for an all steel compact round gun today, I'd be giving a hard look at the Night Cobra. Yes, the controls are different than your 442, but I personally don't think that's going to be a huge problem for you. I'd trust Colt's manufacturing process over Kimber's any day.

But, if you want to mirror your 442, then the 640 is the easy and obvious choice. Again, horror stories of S&W QC aside, I'm not sure I trust Kimber enough to lay out the money they're asking for on the K6.

JHC
11-15-2019, 12:15 PM
If I were really serious about a small frame wheelie for EDC I would HAVE to take a flyer on the Kimber. Their fit, finish (all of several I've handled) are great, a decent number of enthusiasts here who've shot them with strong reviews . . . and that trigger! If I were serious about EDC'ing a small frame revolvers I'd want to be able to perform the very best with the shots I have and that would lead me to giving the Kimber a try. Without any expectation of guarantees in life or guns.

SD
11-15-2019, 01:29 PM
The 640-P was an eye opening experience, wanting to upgrade my well carried model 60 it appeared the perfect direction to go, it wasn't. Locally none of the LGS carried it, had to be ordered and upon arrival I refused to accept the first one because of fit and finish. Interestingly the big box chain store associate stated "this is how they come", and I honestly thought this was a well handled display model, having the MOD involved he agreed to order two more revolvers from the distributor. With the three of them present I made a selection and after 500 rounds decided to send it off to a revolver expert for a overhaul (Marc@Gemini). It is much improved now and reminds me of S&W revolvers from past years. Except for pawing the Kimber's in the store and liking them never had one at the range.

Totem Polar
11-15-2019, 01:40 PM
If I was choosing from scratch, knowing what I know about both guns at this point, I’d actually get the Kimber, as a one-and-done heavy/compact carry gun. This is coming from a guy who has typically been a big J-frame fan for years.

The K6 is darn near the same size as the pro, holds the extra round, has a better trigger, and currently shoots to POI with today’s duty loads. As to "proven," I’m just not so sure. If someone is carrying an early 90’s 640, that’s "proven." The current production J line doesn’t seem any better than Kimber for needing return trips to the factory.

JMO.

OlongJohnson
11-15-2019, 01:48 PM
The 640-P was an eye opening experience, wanting to upgrade my well carried model 60 it appeared the perfect direction to go, it wasn't. Locally none of the LGS carried it, had to be ordered and upon arrival I refused to accept the first one because of fit and finish. Interestingly the big box chain store associate stated "this is how they come", and I honestly thought this was a well handled display model, having the MOD involved he agreed to order two more revolvers from the distributor. With the three of them present I made a selection and after 500 rounds decided to send it off to a revolver expert for a overhaul (Marc@Gemini). It is much improved now and reminds me of S&W revolvers from past years. Except for pawing the Kimber's in the store and liking them never had one at the range.

That is similar to my experience. Ordered a 640 Pro from KYGunco.com and it had an entire manufacturing step skipped - the front of the yoke where it abuts the inside of the frame was never fitted to the frame. It was left very rough and with a substantial interference fit. It was possible to apply enough force to deflect the yoke backward and get it to close, but the frame was damaged. Sent it back and CS had their gunsmith inspect another one before shipping it to me; it was the same. I got a refund. I believe they then did a 100 percent inspection of their inventory and sent most of them back to Smith, as the sale on their website was ended immediately.

I later ended up buying a 640-1 police trade-in for quite a bit less money.

If the OP is looking for a training analog for his carry 442, a standard 640 snub is the way to go. Shouldn't take too long to find one, and everything is the same except for the weight. Same holsters, grips, loaders, sights, etc.

Between the 640 Pro and a Kimber, I'd pick an SP101. At least Ruger fixes guns when you send them back; I'm two for two on S&W failing to do that. If Ruger made the SP in .327 with a 5- or 6-inch barrel, I'd have one already.

orionz06
11-15-2019, 01:58 PM
I carry a 442 back and forth to work a lot. I've tried to force myself into using something else but the revolver just fits the role I need it for better than anything else. I've been considering picking up a 640 Pro for a long time now. I want something that's a little easier to shoot, has better sights, and is generally more fun to shoot over longer range sessions. I'm apprehensive about ordering one though. Smith's QC seems to be pretty poor lately.

I've looked at the K6S in the past and now that orionz06 is talking about supporting the Kimber I've started to think that it might be a better choice over the Smith.

What are the pros and cons between the 640 Pro and the K6S? Is there anything I'm not considering or should know in advance?

I've got a 640 Pro, 2" K6S, and 3" K6S. The K6S would need a different set of sights, but otherwise takes the cake between the two models.

I need molds machined, all current avenues are backlogged longer than I'd like.

MGW
11-15-2019, 03:36 PM
Can I muddy up your thread and say I've been doing the same debate, only with a 640 Pro and the SP101 Wiley Clapp?

I know folks are having good luck with the Kimber, but it's shorter track record, lower availability of parts and aftermarket stuff, and the fact that I spent quite a bit of time trying to fix friend's Kimber 1911s give me pause.

I get what you're saying but the 101 is pretty big pistol compared to the 640 or K6. The K6 has been out for twoish years now and I haven't heard of any big issues yet. Not saying they're not out there but compared to the recent experiences with Smith I think they are good to go. I've also seen a couple of Rugers recently that had issues with forcing cone clearance.

MGW
11-15-2019, 03:38 PM

This is the kind of stuff that makes me want to avoid anything Smith.

Clusterfrack
11-15-2019, 04:24 PM

Glad to know I'm not the only one who won't buy anything from this company.

NPV
11-15-2019, 05:05 PM
Add me to the list of suckers that bought a 640 Pro, also had to order it as no LGS had one in stock. The dovetail for the rear sight was not machine correctly into the frame. Back it went, and sat for 2 months after enough calls and escalating finally got it back with a new frame. The trigger is stout at 12-14 lbs, reminds me of my German police issue P6. Installed an Apex spring kit and alas the weaker rebound spring made the trigger reset sluggish.

Honestly if your 442 works, I’d stick with it. I was in the same spot as you bought the 640 Pro and carry my 442. Yes there is a difference in felt recoil but not enough to inhibit me. Yes the night sights are nice but again the 442 never gave me an issue. Just my .02$. I may sell my 640 Pro and search the LGS until I find another 442 with good QC and send it out for a big dot or get a Colt Night Cobra.

SD
11-15-2019, 05:29 PM
My plan is to stay with Lear Siegler generation and before. You shouldn't have to send a NEW S&W anyplace to make it true.

Add me to the list of suckers that bought a 640 Pro, also had to order it as no LGS had one in stock. The dovetail for the rear sight was not machine correctly into the frame. Back it went, and sat for 2 months after enough calls and escalating finally got it back with a new frame. The trigger is stout at 12-14 lbs, reminds me of my German police issue P6. Installed an Apex spring kit and alas the weaker rebound spring made the trigger reset sluggish.

Honestly if your 442 works, I’d stick with it. I was in the same spot as you bought the 640 Pro and carry my 442. Yes there is a difference in felt recoil but not enough to inhibit me. Yes the night sights are nice but again the 442 never gave me an issue. Just my .02$. I may sell my 640 Pro and search the LGS until I find another 442 with good QC and send it out for a big dot or get a Colt Night Cobra.

I understand the point you are making about the P6, acquired one from Lockedbreech even it has a better trigger, but definitely in the same wight class for pull.

MGW
11-15-2019, 05:37 PM

That's a good point. I was thinking about keeping the J for occasional pocket carry and then using a stainless gun as a carry and training gun. But there's really nothing wrong with putting sights on the current J and maybe picking up another one. Definitely the less expensive route.

Zeke38
11-15-2019, 07:18 PM
As a dedicated revolver carrier since 1965, a retired police firearms instructor, and one who still carries daily and has owned SP101 WC version, Kimber K6 2" with night sights, and a 640PRO. I would like to add to the conversation.

I currently own and shoot a new Colt Cobra, an Sp 101 3" and a Kimber k6s. My EDC is the Kimber stoked with Remington Golden Sabres 125 grain Mid Range 357 at 1138avg out of the Kimber. It has proven to be accurate, reliable, easy to control with the above mentioned load, rear sight is windage adjustable. It carries in holsters I had made for the 640 Pro. I use a speedloader that was made for the Colt DS and it is a joy to pack.

The 640 would never shoot to the sights and only carried five, but in all fairness it was the first of the "Super J frames" with sights and grips. Action on the 640 couldn't hold a candle to the Kimber. The SP101 WC was way undersized chamber mouths and too tight of tolerance between the forcing cone and cylinder with the cylinder rubbing after ten rounds of 38s. Sent it back to Ruger and it returned with 12 thousandeths cylinder gap on the tight side and the chambers still undersized. It went to a collector who looks at neat guns, it hangs on a wall with the 640 Pro.

The new Colt Cobra is a nice snubby, the only reason the K6 wins first up at bat is it's size. The Colt shoots to POA/POI with 135 +P and heavier weight loads. It's my back up to the K6.

Grant Cunningham oversaw the building of the K6. It's a Smith inside.

Wouldn't mind having a Night Cobra. Hope this helps.
https://i.imgur.com/vIahxdE.jpg

MGW
11-15-2019, 10:28 PM
Thanks for the reply Zeke38

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

TheNewbie
11-15-2019, 11:56 PM
Kimber is releasing 4 inch versions of the K6.

rathos
11-16-2019, 12:14 AM
I have a 442, 2 inch K6 and a new cobra. I shoot the 442 and the K6 the best. The skinny triggers on the colts make it very hard to pull it rearward with the best accuracy and not pulling it off to one side or the other. I have the same issue with the old colts. I would get rid of everything and buy more kimbers IF the safariland speedloaders worked with them. While they work with the colt HKS, the k-frame safarilands that work with the old and new colts will not work with the kimber.

While I wouldn't generally shoot .357s in a small snubbie, my kimber handled 125 magnums and the recoil wasn't that bad. IF they made an alloy version I would be all over it, much like the colt as the all steel heavy versions suck to carry on your ankle all day.

11-16-2019, 12:20 PM
Since no one has mentioned it yet. Be sure to use snap caps with the K6S revolvers during dry fire practice, then just rock on.

I broke the firing pin dry firing my K6. Kimber acted surprised but replaced it quickly and for free. Since then others have reported the same issue elsewhere. (I don't think they were really that surprised.) Otherwise, quality on the 3 I have shot has been uniformly excellent.

Having said that and owned and fired a wide array of snubbies, the K6S is the best of the bunch. The new Colt trigger is a bit better in my experience but the lack of Crimson Trace grips for Colts still makes me prefer the Kimber. This flaw bothered me a lot at first but when I found out that the Nighthawk/Korth Sky Marshal has the exact same problem I calmed down a bit. Of course, at least Nighthawk/Korth has the courtesy to warn you in the instruction manual.

The grips fit my XL (10.5-11) hands really well and assist me in the felt recoil department. The Colt factory grips feel just as good if not a little better but they lengthen the piece just enough to take it out of the pocket carry category for me. the Kimber's are shorter but chubby.

Willard
11-16-2019, 12:24 PM
When they were first released, some claimed they did not use MIM in the K6. I found this astonishing since the rest of Kimber's line is chock full of MIM (I know, as good, etc). I'm just wondering if the do or do not use MIM. I've not seen any in this area. I guess I could get over my aversion to the lines of that revolver if it was well made.

GearFondler
11-16-2019, 12:45 PM
So I keep waiting to hear a horror story about the K6S but so far, nothing... Aside from being heavy for pocket carry its looking pretty dang sweet.

GearFondler
11-16-2019, 12:49 PM
I guess I could get over my aversion to the lines of that revolver if it was well made.

Just stare for a while at a Ruger LCR and the Kimber will look a lot sweeter.

Totem Polar
11-16-2019, 12:51 PM
I could put my opinion another way: the K6 line is likely the best gun Kimber makes that isn’t from a nearly 3-decades old contract run.

I still have a pile of wheel guns laying around—including two old, vetted 3" Js—so I split around the K6 by having a couple of the new Colt Cobras and some K-frames, along with my XS sighted Ruger LCR, so my K6 went on to another home.

But if I were restricted to just one handgun, and it couldn’t be semi-auto (read: Glock 9mm), from scratch, the 3" K6 would be near the top of the list.

jandbj
11-16-2019, 02:06 PM

Zeke, what’s the combination home brew/factory grip voodoo on the K6?

Zeke38
11-16-2019, 08:06 PM
Hogue grip and I found it too narrow. It's grip tape to fill out the gripping surface. Like a Russian peasant woman, ugly but she works.

mtnbkr
11-17-2019, 07:17 AM
But if I were restricted to just one handgun, and it couldn’t be semi-auto (read: Glock 9mm), from scratch, the 3" K6 would be near the top of the list.

Same here. With recent changes in VA, I'm looking at non-semi-auto options and the K6S TLE 3" is looking real good. I load 38special and used to load 357mag (when I had a GP100), so I'm well equipped to keep a 357mag fed.

I hope I don't have to drop a grand into a new gun, but at least I have a viable option if things go full retard here.

Chris

jeep45238
11-17-2019, 09:20 AM
So I keep waiting to hear a horror story about the K6S but so far, nothing... Aside from being heavy for pocket carry its looking pretty dang sweet.

The only one I can recall is Caleb Giddings reporting that one of the K6's he spent time with was fine, and the other fell apart (his words) after a few hundred rounds.

Baldanders
11-17-2019, 07:15 PM
I love mine but:

-needed a gunsmith to get the "shavings" out of the action; also got an action job

-rear sight came loose and drifted badly, gunsmith locktited it down

-- had another trip to the gunsmith after I damaged it with over-agressive wacks to the extractor getting steel-cases out.

Can't speak to the K6, but if I was in the market for a 640 PRO, I would handle it first, probably get an action job and proactively lock the sights down.

Starting over, I would think about getting a SP-101 and putting the extra $$ into better sights and a sweet action job.

Baldanders
11-17-2019, 07:21 PM
I love mine but:

-needed a gunsmith to get the "shavings" out of the action; also got an action job

-rear sight came loose and drifted badly, gunsmith locktited it down

-- had another trip to the gunsmith after I damaged it with over-agressive wacks to the extractor getting steel-cases out.

Can't speak to the K6, but if I was in the market for a 640 PRO, I would handle it first, probably get an action job and proactively lock the sights down.

Starting over, I would think about getting a SP-101 and putting the extra $$ into better sights and a sweet action job.

All that being said, I love mine. Easy to conceal, mild with most .38+p loads and most ammo hits very close to POA.

Horseman
11-20-2019, 09:30 AM
I just bought a used 640 Pro last week, not having seen this thread first.

Luckily, mine seems to be well-constructed and everything is right when I shoot it. It is an older one, as the fired sample cartridge envelope is marked with a 2011 date. I'm unsure if that makes a difference in QC/QA or not.

The action is very smooth and has a moderate pull weight for a J-frame. The previous owner was a long-retired 70's/80's-era cop with a ton of old-time armorer's schools under his belt, including the factory S&W revolver course, so I have to wonder if he did a little tuning on it.

My only gripe is the sight regulation. Everything I shot seemed to be 2-3 inches low. The best load was the HST Micro, which only shot about an inch low.

Speaking of which, what's the favorite source for different height front sights for these guns?

NPV
11-20-2019, 01:03 PM

Luckily, mine seems to be well-constructed and everything is right when I shoot it. It is an older one, as the fired sample cartridge envelope is marked with a 2011 date. I'm unsure if that makes a difference in QC/QA or not.

The action is very smooth and has a moderate pull weight for a J-frame. The previous owner was a long-retired 70's/80's-era cop with a ton of old-time armorer's schools under his belt, including the factory S&W revolver course, so I have to wonder if he did a little tuning on it.

My only gripe is the sight regulation. Everything I shot seemed to be 2-3 inches low. The best load was the HST Micro, which only shot about an inch low.

Speaking of which, what's the favorite source for different height front sights for these guns?

deputyG23
11-20-2019, 01:25 PM

It may be regulated for 158 grain ammo. All of my older S&W .38 revolvers, J and K frame, are.

Totem Polar
11-20-2019, 01:30 PM
A bit of internet soul-searching on the 640 pro reveals that a number of reviewers don’t really think it’s regulated for much of anything. Sort of like the earliest LCRs. Only, there are options to upgrade the Rugers.

Horseman
11-20-2019, 05:34 PM

I considered this, but there isn't much metal that can be removed before you run afoul of the tritium capsule.

Wingate's Hairbrush
11-20-2019, 07:12 PM
I just bought a used 640 Pro last week...My only gripe is the sight regulation. Everything I shot seemed to be 2-3 inches low...Speaking of which, what's the favorite source for different height front sights for these guns?Probably the most consistently posted 640 Pro complaint; think of it as "drive-the-dot-plus". ;)

Half Moon
11-20-2019, 08:27 PM
FWIW 640's, unlike most j's, have a pinned front sight. There's the opportunity to try some other options or replace to stock if you mess up filing. I haven't tried other sights to have recommendations though. My 640 is consistently 3" low with anything. My other j's aren't. Gotta wonder what ammo they actually factory zero the 640's for.

Wingate's Hairbrush
11-20-2019, 08:32 PM
FWIW 640's, unlike most j's, have a pinned front sight. There's the opportunity to try some other options or replace to stock if you mess up filing. I haven't tried other sights to have recommendations though. My 640 is consistently 3" low with anything. My other j's aren't. Gotta wonder what ammo they actually factory zero the 640's for.Assuming they factory zeroed it for anything... ;)

Standard 640 is front sight pinned (as are several other .357-rated Js), but the 640 Pro has what appear to be proprietary (or most uncommon) dovetails. If anybody knows of replacement options short of fabrication, please post...

Lester Polfus
11-20-2019, 11:35 PM
Assuming they factory zeroed it for anything... ;)

Standard 640 is front sight pinned (as are several other .357-rated Js), but the 640 Pro has what appear to be proprietary (or most uncommon) dovetails. If anybody knows of replacement options short of fabrication, please post...

I haven't been able to source them. They aren't Novaks, or at least if they are made as an OEM part by Novak, they aren't making replacements available to the general public.

Totem Polar
11-20-2019, 11:40 PM
The K6 is darn near the same size as the pro, holds the extra round, has a better trigger, and currently shoots to POI with today’s duty loads.

We have pretty much reached the crux of the debate. Gotta be able to hit what you aim at. The 2 K6s (I know, not much of a sample) I have experience with were both drive the dot.

Carry on.

MGW
11-21-2019, 01:37 PM
Quick update. I missed out on the K6 is was looking at. There is another used one at a local shop for under $600. My schedule has kept me from getting over there to look at it though. Part of me wants it. Part of me knows it'll just be an excuse to carry a J frame more than I already do. Not necessarily a good thing.

SD
11-22-2019, 06:24 PM
Had the 60, 640pro, & M10 to the range today. Nothing scientific or fancy just 150 rounds. 10 yards, DAO, B-29 size target. After shooting fifty rounds through each in 5/10 round increments and then rotating revolvers it was obvious the 640 sights by the end made a huge difference. The old Model 10 was the accuracy winner but then again it is a K up against J's. Some discussion in this thread about the 640 and POI-POA.

MGW
11-22-2019, 11:34 PM
5 shots or not I’ve always had a thing for 640 Pros. Thanks for the post $teve

UNK
11-23-2019, 12:28 PM
I've got a 640 Pro, 2" K6S, and 3" K6S. The K6S would need a different set of sights, but otherwise takes the cake between the two models.

I need molds machined, all current avenues are backlogged longer than I'd like.

I know a guy. Sent you a PM.

UNK
01-29-2020, 11:05 PM
I considered this, but there isn't much metal that can be removed before you run afoul of the tritium capsule.

This guy did it and wrote an article on it.

https://revolverguy.com/filing-revolvers-front-sight/

UNK
01-30-2020, 02:03 PM
Grant Cunningham oversaw the building of the K6. It's a Smith inside.

Great post thank you. Just looked at a couple of k6’s 2 $ 3”. How is it that kimber can take a S&W trigger and get it so right?
Id like to hear more about GC involvement at kimber. First Ive hard about this and it being a Smith trigger.

UNK
01-30-2020, 03:02 PM
Great post thank you. Just looked at a couple of k6’s 2 $ 3”. How is it that kimber can take a S&W trigger and get it so right?
Id like to hear more about GC involvement at kimber. First Ive hard about this and it being a Smith trigger.

I found this article by Grant Cunningham 2016 Shot Show relevant.

Willard
01-30-2020, 07:37 PM
I found this article by Grant Cunningham 2016 Shot Show relevant.

Did you mean to post a link?

UNK
01-30-2020, 08:11 PM
Did you mean to post a link?

https://www.grantcunningham.com/2016/01/grants-shot-show-2016-adventure-part-1-the-kimber-k6s-revolver-and-new-foursevens-flashlights/

OlongJohnson
01-30-2020, 08:23 PM
Other articles I've googled tonight:

https://www.luckygunner.com/lounge/kimber-k6s/

https://revolverguy.com/kimber-k6s-from-blank-paper/

https://revolverguy.com/kimber-k6s-dc-notes-field/

https://revolverguy.com/3-inch-kimber-k6s/

UNK
01-30-2020, 10:04 PM

I talked with Marc Morganti of Gemini Customs yesterday. His opinion was go with the Ruger. He said it will last you a lifetime.

UNK
01-31-2020, 12:56 AM
https://unblinkingeye.com/Guns/K6S/k6s.html
https://revolverguy.com/kimber-k6s-from-blank-paper/
https://revolverguy.com/kimber-k6s-dc-notes-field/

Just a few articles that I found interesting enough to post. Each one had bits I found informative.
Firing pin breakage speedloaders not working internals changed from original S&W specs.

Horseman
01-31-2020, 10:45 AM
This guy did it and wrote an article on it.

https://revolverguy.com/filing-revolvers-front-sight/

Thanks for that.

OlongJohnson
01-31-2020, 12:23 PM
Just connecting dots...

For those who might be a little confused, a single discussion has been going on in both this and the I must have this one... (https://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?40536-I-must-have-this-one) thread about, "Wouldn't it be awesome if Ruger made a K6s-like gun based on the SP101?"

So if you want the full version, you need to read both places.

UNK
01-31-2020, 12:57 PM
Just connecting dots...

For those who might be a little confused, a single discussion has been going on in both this and the I must have this one... (https://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?40536-I-must-have-this-one) thread about, "Wouldn't it be awesome if Ruger made a K6s-like gun based on the SP101?"

So if you want the full version, you need to read both places.
Is it suitable to merge?

MGW
02-01-2020, 08:46 AM
So when I started this thread I was looking at a revolver for a specific role and that was an easy and low pro way to get to work and back. At this point I’m using a 43x for pretty much everything. It isn’t as convenient as a small revolver or as versatile but the increase in capability out ways all of that for me.

That being said there are times when a pocket gun is still necessary and a j frame does that better than anything else for me. My point is the Kimber is out as an option and the 640 is in. The reason for this is it is most similar to a scandium framed j frame and much better suited as a trainer.

If I were looking for a j frame size belt revolver I would go with the Kimber. A good friend of my picked one up and it is an extremely nice 6 shot package. It seems to be as durable as a 640 or SP101 and adds an additional round.

GearFondler
02-01-2020, 04:00 PM
The K6S review by Chris at Lucky Gunner established that his particular example showed dismal accuracy with 135gr Short Barrel Gold Dots.
I was wondering if anyone here could expand on this, either with confirmation or contradiction, based on their own experiences.

SD
02-01-2020, 06:06 PM
The 640Pro and my experience thus far. You spend $600.+ on a new revolver from one of the biggest names in the industry, my expectation out of the box perfection and to my surprise or disappointment this was not the case X-3 samples to choose from, or walk away. So hoping the choice was right, left with a blue box and five shooter. After shooting 700+ rounds various brands/weights it was obvious the revolver needed some fine tuning. My usual go-to-guy Doug Payne @ Gunboat Outfitters could not be located. So off this went to Marc invoice posted. Yes, very pleased with the work performed but the additional cost invested into a new revolver before I can even mess it up? I have put an additional 250 rounds since it was returned and yes there is a significant improvement/enjoyment. If Kramer could fix my holster to provide the slightest retention I might even be able to carry this revolver someday, holster is back with Kimmie my correspondence requests either fix it correctly or refund my $$$. Would I do this again, tough decision, but yes, getting older with poor vision that is not getting any better the sights on the 640P are excellent, they pick up quick and even glow in the dark. Until a time the perfect S&W revolver is produced something with the sights off the 640pro put onto a LS 65-3" (pre mim) this will probably be is good as it gets.

UNK
02-01-2020, 06:42 PM
The 640Pro and my experience thus far. You spend $600.+ on a new revolver from one of the biggest names in the industry, my expectation out of the box perfection and to my surprise or disappointment this was not the case X-3 samples to choose from, or walk away. So hoping the choice was right, left with a blue box and five shooter. After shooting 700+ rounds various brands/weights it was obvious the revolver needed some fine tuning. My usual go-to-guy Doug Payne @ Gunboat Outfitters could not be located. So off this went to Marc invoice posted. Yes, very pleased with the work performed but the additional cost invested into a new revolver before I can even mess it up? I have put an additional 250 rounds since it was returned and yes there is a significant improvement/enjoyment. If Kramer could fix my holster to provide the slightest retention I might even be able to carry this revolver someday, holster is back with Kimmie my correspondence requests either fix it correctly or refund my $$$. Would I do this again, tough decision, but yes, getting older with poor vision that is not getting any better the sights on the 640P are excellent, they pick up quick and even glow in the dark. Until a time the perfect S&W revolver is produced something with the sights off the 640pro put onto a LS 65-3" (pre mim) this will probably be is good as it gets.

So....the trigger. Do you know the lbs of pull?

SD
02-01-2020, 06:56 PM
Was 13+ and all over the place, now even on all five probably 9ish.

UNK
02-01-2020, 07:15 PM
Was 13+ and all over the place, now even on all five probably 9ish.

Thank you for taking the time to write that up and share.

SD
02-18-2020, 03:37 PM
48906 In the mail today Kramer Leather V-SCAB made its way home again for the third time now. Hopefully for good this time, upon initially receiving in late 2018 maybe 19 can't recall it was loose, holding an unloaded revolver and turning it upside down it would fall free. Maybe for some my expectations for a form fitted holster are greater then what should be expected. Reached out to Kramer customer service explained the problem, "send it back and we will make it right". When it arrived back this time although improved, holding it upside it would remain set, but the slightest back/forth or up/down would cause it to fall out. With several priority events on going the holster was forgotten about. As the cloud of subconscious disregard subsided around me the holster was again sent back to Kramer. Looks like its time for a happy dance, holstering a loaded weapon and shaking it like a baby rattle nothing fell out, hurray! I appreciate Kramer staff; communication with them has been great, the service time above average, and seeing we went from zero hold to great hold as a success, thanks Kramer Leather,