PDA

View Full Version : Interesting paper discussing knives and the 2A

Totem Polar
11-12-2019, 12:49 AM
Pretty much per the title. Long, but with good footnoting of sources.

https://online.wsj.com/public/resources/documents/knives.pdf

BillSWPA
11-12-2019, 03:40 PM
Interesting read.

The single biggest issue I have with knife laws is that I can spend hours researching the knife statutes and caselaw in a given city or state, and still end up without an answer to the question of exactly what is legal or illegal, even if the knife in question is a folding knife with a blade that does not exceed 4". In addition to the Second Amendment issue, in my opinion many knife laws raise the issue of due process, since they simply do not give adequate notice of exactly what is prohibited. Unfortunately the court cases I have read have glossed over this issue with little discussion.

blues
11-12-2019, 03:55 PM
The endless confusion as to what constitutes a "Bowie knife, dirk or dagger" never cease to provide hours of entertainment.

Nobody knows nothing.

Of course, that may or may not prevent them from charging one anyway.

BillSWPA
11-12-2019, 05:14 PM
How exactly does one decide the difference between a "dangerous knife" and an "ordinary pocket knife"? The factors set forth by some court opinions would potentially (but not certainly) put a locking folder with a thumb hole or thumb stud in the "dangerous knife" category even though such knives are extremely common and ordinary.

Clusterfrack
11-12-2019, 05:16 PM
From what multiple LEO friends have told me, enforcement is highly variable as well. All have told me that they aren't going to arrest someone for a knife unless they are already arresting them for something much more serious.

I was out with some buddies last night, and ended up eating pie at a hipster coffee shop (https://i.pinimg.com/736x/e3/8a/cb/e38acb50ce1645eb605dbf95240e396b.jpg). The hipster barista with full sleeves and a logger beard had a 10" Bowie knife on his belt. I told him I liked his knife, and he volunteered that he wears it to defend against robberies. There are lots of homeless guys in the area, and evidently some are aggressively robbing places for food and the tip jar.

BillSWPA
11-13-2019, 09:11 AM
From what multiple LEO friends have told me, enforcement is highly variable as well. All have told me that they aren't going to arrest someone for a knife unless they are already arresting them for something much more serious.

I was out with some buddies last night, and ended up eating pie at a hipster coffee shop (https://i.pinimg.com/736x/e3/8a/cb/e38acb50ce1645eb605dbf95240e396b.jpg). The hipster barista with full sleeves and a logger beard had a 10" Bowie knife on his belt. I told him I liked his knife, and he volunteered that he wears it to defend against robberies. There are lots of homeless guys in the area, and evidently some are aggressively robbing places for food and the tip jar.

I would agree that the single most certain way to avoid running into a problem for having a knife is not drawing the negative attention of the police for any other reason.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OlongJohnson
11-13-2019, 10:55 PM
Stop and frisk.