PDA

View Full Version : Sig RomeoZero in the wild

Talionis
11-11-2019, 11:07 PM
A couple Sig RomeoZero optics showed up by surprise at the shop I work at and I snagged one to try out. Initial impressions are positive, and that it has a chance at being outstanding for its intended role.

First, the optic is not built or marketed as a duty grade optic; it is a polymer body and apparently polycarbonate lens, meant for the concealed carry crowd. The construction accounts for the optic’s very light weight, .3 of an ounce on the shop scale.

I find the window and dot very useable for the size of the optic. Mine is 6moa and has plenty of brightness for max daylight. The window has a slight bluish tint that is less pronounced than many other optics, and the housing is minimal enough that overall vision with the optic is quite good.

I really like that the dot is a plug and play solution for my p365xl, including a rear sight notch in the optic housing and that is regulated to replace the rear irons. The dot matches up with the irons from the factory, which is pretty cool.

Sig advertises a battery life of up to 10 years, which I assume is 10 years sitting in the safe with the motion sensor dormant, but we shall see.

The emitter is the primary concern for me, it is not shielded in any way, simply recessed into the housing. This optic is in no way waterproof, we will see how that translates to daily carry concealed.

We shall see if I can break it. If not, it is a neat little optic and has an almost perfect form factor for the size gun it is built for. 44729

HeavyDuty
11-12-2019, 07:42 AM
I’m hoping we will see more and more single stack sized RDS as time goes on - I’m finding they help with my aging eyes, and a dot equipped 43 or 48 would be a big help.

cornstalker
11-12-2019, 07:54 AM
This optic is in no way waterproof, we will see how that translates to daily carry concealed.

Are the electronics unprotected/not sealed?

Talionis
11-12-2019, 10:55 AM
Are the electronics unprotected/not sealed?

The emitter is recessed fairly well, but is not sealed off as with my delta point pros.

YVK
11-12-2019, 07:38 PM

This should be your setup for the next CO Nationals. Maybe I could close the gap by a couple percentage points then.

Bart Carter
11-12-2019, 10:21 PM
What mounting is it compatible with?

cornstalker
11-12-2019, 10:33 PM

Shield RMS

Talionis
11-12-2019, 11:05 PM
This should be your setup for the next CO Nationals. Maybe I could close the gap by a couple percentage points then.

I dunno, this thing shoots closer to a full sized gun than anything I've been hands on with, it might get lost in the noise. One of these days I might get some numbers on how this does compared to the legion on a few drills.

Talionis
11-12-2019, 11:07 PM

My understanding is that the footprint is the same as the RMS/RMS-C from Shield, and furthermore, that the optic is OEM'd by Shield.

GJM
11-13-2019, 12:08 AM

Your sense of humor has kept pace with your shooting progress, I rate it A plus.

hiro
11-13-2019, 01:07 AM
One of these days I might get some numbers on how this does compared to the legion on a few drills.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u5HOt0ZOcYk

YVK
11-13-2019, 02:54 PM
Your sense of humor has kept pace with your shooting progress, I rate it A plus.

Hate to admit, but you're correct again. Unless you're wearing 5.11 stuff as your daily attire, have a light/laser/comp/optic/magwell on your EDC 45Super carry gun, and eat sushi with nunchucks, a sense of humor is proportional to shooting skills. You're a good example, and an enviable and increasing number of likes that you get daily is a good correlate to your recently attained M rank.

cornstalker
11-27-2019, 02:09 PM
The 3MOA version showed up at Osage and sold out immediately.

ratter75
11-28-2019, 02:42 PM
Oh man. Glock needs to MOS their slimline for the RMSc, or the 365XL is going to be my next pistol.

breakingtime91
12-10-2019, 11:42 PM
man these can be had for around 160 right now.. tempted.

GJM
12-10-2019, 11:59 PM
man these can be had for around 160 right now.. tempted.

Link?

breakingtime91
12-11-2019, 12:01 AM
Link?

was optics planet.. just checked and it went back to 199 tonight :(

GJM
12-11-2019, 12:10 AM
was optics planet.. just checked and it went back to 199 tonight :(

Worse, they say 7-17 days, which is code for “don’t have it and have no real clue when they will show up.”

cornstalker
12-11-2019, 09:25 AM
Worse, they say 7-17 days, which is code for “don’t have it and have no real clue when they will show up.”

Agreed. It has said something like that since September.

Bratch
12-27-2019, 12:32 AM
Any reliable places to back order one of these or do I just need to sign up for all of the alert me emails?

mistertwo
12-27-2019, 10:59 AM
Email alert from Osage County Guns is how I managed to pick one up. I got lucky and saw the email within a few minutes of it coming in. There were only three left in stock as I was checking out.

GJM
12-27-2019, 11:14 AM
Hopefully Talionis will add info soon, but the Zero on his 365XL died a few days ago. Not sure whether it was a battery or electronics issue.

YVK
12-27-2019, 10:44 PM
Only an ass would've said something like told you so..

Since @GJM (https://pistol-forum.com/member.php?u=410) has been endowed with moderator powers, maybe he can make that post a sticky: other than Talionis's SIG optic dying within next 1-2 thousand rounds, the state of affairs is unlikely to change in next 5 years.

Talionis
12-28-2019, 03:09 PM
Hopefully Talionis will add info soon, but the Zero on his 365XL died a few days ago. Not sure whether it was a battery or electronics issue.

As GJM mentioned, the dot on my RomeoZero was dead as I de-gunned at the end of Christmas day. After sourcing and installing a replacement 1632 battery, the optic is back up and running as before, so it seems like a simple case of battery drain. I initially thought there might have been an issue with the motion activation leading to increased battery drain, but the dot still shuts off after two minutes without motion.

Lifespan for the first battery was almost exactly 6 weeks. I'm going to experiment with different intensity levels on the dot and see if that changes things, will also experiment with different battery brands.

cornstalker
01-09-2020, 02:46 PM
Got mine in today. Will shoot it either this afternoon or tomorrow night. Out of the box it feels a little cheap.

I went ahead and installed it. At first, the button did not work at all. Then it suddenly started working.

The brightness adjustment feature is irritating and awkward, to say the least.

I didn't have time to go to my truck and take a gangster gun-in-lap photo with a steering wheel in the frame, so I used my desk.

The dot on mine is definitely not as crisp as Trijicon or Holosun. It appears to be misshapen with a bit of blur on the right edge of the dot. If you move the dot to the left edge of the lens, it gets really blurry. That does not happen when moved to the right, in fact, the right edge of the lens is where the dot is at it's clearest. If you move the dot low in the screen, a large red ring comes down from the top of the lens and washes it out. I will try shooting it, but I don't foresee keeping this one.

cornstalker
01-09-2020, 10:31 PM
Oh, and the backup sights are not what I consider usable. Great idea, poor execution. It almost looks like the front of the Romeo Zero flexes up when torqued. I am not sure if that causes the bottom of the sight window to obscure the sights. You can barely see the very top of the sights through the window. Better than nothing...barely.

cornstalker
01-10-2020, 12:50 AM
I also left my gun laying dead still from 5 pm to 9:40 pm. The dot was on when I looked through the sight without touching it. Mine might be defective.

cornstalker
01-11-2020, 05:53 PM
First 100 rounds through the Zero today. I will say that the flaws that are so glaringly apparent when examining the sight are less noticeable when shooting. So far, at least.

Sighted in fine. After zeroing, I shot groups at 12 then some doubles until I had depleted 50 rounds total including sight-in. I shot the last 50 doing D1's and D2's at 7 from concealment.

The MoTac started working. That or it is so sensitive that the air currents from opening and closing doors are enough to wake it up when lying on a filing cabinet. Last night I laid it up on top of the gun safe. In two minutes it went to sleep. I snapped the door of the safe two feet below the optic and it woke up instantly.

I don't know if this thing is going to hold up or not. Its lens is distorted garbage and the dot is blurry. Strangely, it still works fine when shooting. I really wish I had an RMSc to compare it to.

(Edited for spelling)

Joshmill
01-15-2020, 02:34 AM
I also left my gun laying dead still from 5 pm to 9:40 pm. The dot was on when I looked through the sight without touching it. Mine might be defective.

Got mine yesterday but haven't shot it yet. Mine sits high in the front as well. Brightness button itself and it's placement are horrible too. I'm still impressed with the size and weight. Will have more feedback once I actually send some rounds downrange. So far I like it. Time will tell.

TicTacticalTimmy
01-15-2020, 05:56 PM
Cornstalker, are you going to ask Sig to replace your Zero? those mostly sound like QC issues, and I feel like they would try to make it right.

cornstalker
01-15-2020, 06:17 PM
Cornstalker, are you going to ask Sig to replace your Zero? those mostly sound like QC issues, and I feel like they would try to make it right.

Not sure. I am concerned about many months I would have to wait for a replacement? Besides, my gunsmith got one on the same order and his is exactly the same way.

I can say that I am not likely to keep it, but too early to tell right now.

MVS
01-18-2020, 03:27 PM
Picked up a 356 XL with the Zero on it from a LGS today. It is rainy cold and very windy here today but had to at least try it out. For those who say the sight seems cheap, I would agree. Probably because it is cheap and all plastic. My biggest complaint with it so far is the hard to use brightness adjustment. Granted I was not feeling my hands very well with the cold but I couldn't adjust it at the range with my finger I had to use the cap from a sharpy. Very interested to see how long the battery lasts. A spare was included.

As for how it shot, well for crap but I can't blame it on the sight. After hearing so much about how the XL shoots like a big gun, all I can say is for me, it doesn't. Not sure if it is the size combined with that awful flat trigger or what but my first shots were about a foot (yes 12 inches) low right at 10 yards. I mostly shoot full size Glocks and some 1911. I will say I shoot my worked over 642 better than this though. I have already started to dry fire with it to see if I can make it work for me or not.

GJM
01-18-2020, 05:21 PM
Picked up a 356 XL with the Zero on it from a LGS today. It is rainy cold and very windy here today but had to at least try it out. For those who say the sight seems cheap, I would agree. Probably because it is cheap and all plastic. My biggest complaint with it so far is the hard to use brightness adjustment. Granted I was not feeling my hands very well with the cold but I couldn't adjust it at the range with my finger I had to use the cap from a sharpy. Very interested to see how long the battery lasts. A spare was included.

As for how it shot, well for crap but I can't blame it on the sight. After hearing so much about how the XL shoots like a big gun, all I can say is for me, it doesn't. Not sure if it is the size combined with that awful flat trigger or what but my first shots were about a foot (yes 12 inches) low right at 10 yards. I mostly shoot full size Glocks and some 1911. I will say I shoot my worked over 642 better than this though. I have already started to dry fire with it to see if I can make it work for me or not.

Bet you will feel different about the XL when your hands warm up! The reports on the Zero caused me to cancel my order for one. The RMSc, and hopefully the new Holosun seem like better options.

cornstalker
01-22-2020, 01:41 PM

I went ahead and called Sig. They went straight after astigmatism. They also told me that the turnaround time may be extremely long if a warranty replacement is determined necessary. They asked for pics of the dot, and paid little mind to the fact that I have six other optics with nice round dots using the same eyes. They did key in on the left side distortion in the lens.

I have little hope that this will be anything but a waste of time. Might not even send it in.

cornstalker
01-22-2020, 02:13 PM
And another thing...

I was told that the red halo that washes the lens out with the dot near the bottom is normal due to a small window and some crap about a glue strip at the bottom.

MVS
01-22-2020, 02:31 PM
I went ahead and called Sig. They went straight after astigmatism. They also told me that the turnaround time may be extremely long if a warranty replacement is determined necessary. They asked for pics of the dot, and paid little mind to the fact that I have six other optics with nice round dots using the same eyes. They did key in on the left side distortion in the lens.

I have little hope that this will be anything but a waste of time. Might not even send it in.

That is about what I would expect. I am still peeved my XL didn't come with the plate and rear sight to put on after me Zero dies. Can't seem to locate one to purchase separately either

Bart Carter
01-22-2020, 02:35 PM
FWIW, I smashed my Vortex Venom against a wood barrier. I didn't call them, just sent it to them with their filled out form stating that it was entirely my fault. The sent me a brand new Venom in less than a week.

cornstalker
01-22-2020, 05:02 PM
I figured that I would share some of the things that I noticed when trying to capture pics for Sig to examine.

First, holding the camera close to the optic, the main dot isn't too bad. The one above it is a little dim and fuzzy. I suspect it is the "washout halo" when the dot is low in the lens at arm's length. It looks the same to my eye at that distance.

Next is the fuzzy flat football shape that occurs with the camera a further distance from the optic. Looks about the same to my eye at that distance.

If I put the camera closer to the lens, you get to see a scale model of the solar system in there.

Lastly, a shot from closer to arms length with the blob low in the screen. In case you can't make it out, the dot is roughly imposed over the front sight.

cornstalker
01-25-2020, 12:06 PM
One last note to my completely disinterested audience.

The RomeoZero is much more at home outside in bright daylight. In fact, it borders on acceptable. The fuzzy dot has minimal distortion in bright ambient light. Indoors or dim/low light, (most likely defensive conditions?), it's garbage.

hiro
01-25-2020, 12:36 PM

I know it's a small sample but this thread had been really helpful. I'm looking at my next purchase being a pistol with red dot and the sig offerings are on the radar cos it's a one stop shop.

The CS response you received was the final nail in that coffin.

There just isn't much more to say except thanks for posting

MVS
01-25-2020, 12:37 PM

The RomeoZero is much more at home outside in bright daylight. In fact, it borders on acceptable. The fuzzy dot has minimal distortion in bright ambient light. Indoors or dim/low light, (most likely defensive conditions?), it's garbage.

If the snow let's up, I am going to give mine another try today. Along with a Holosun 507c I stick on a G19 to replace an ailing RMR.

cornstalker
01-25-2020, 01:51 PM
I know it's a small sample but this thread had been really helpful. I'm looking at my next purchase being a pistol with red dot and the sig offerings are on the radar cos it's a one stop shop.

The CS response you received was the final nail in that coffin.

There just isn't much more to say except thanks for posting

Thanks. You are close enough that you could demo what I have before you buy. Let me know if you wish to do that.

hiro
01-27-2020, 12:55 AM
Thanks. You are close enough that you could demo what I have before you buy. Let me know if you wish to do that.

Thanks for the offer. :)

I've been looking at carry pistol options and the 365XL/R0 was going up against having the slide of a 43x or 48 milled for the R0. The cost difference isn't significant by the time you figure in 10 magazines, which, as they are kinda expendables, seems a good number to start with. (The cost of the Sig magazines actually makes the Sig the more expensive option, but with more experienced shooters than me saying they "shoot like a larger gun" it seemed prudent to consider the gun). I'm on the fence re the whole Sig trust issue (https://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?39534-Would-you-trust-a-P320).

This thread has given me enough reason to pause, I think I'll be taking the sensible route to my first dot equipped pistol with a Glock19-5 MOS - I already have umpteen magazines and while my Glock 17-4 may have subtle differences, it makes sense to me to keep it Glock.

For the sight I'm looking forward to the early adopter reports on the Holosun's announced at SHOT with a Vortex Venom as an alternate, I know the Venom is not seen in the same light as many but it's hard to beat Vortex's warranty, they take care of their customers. This is to see if a red dot on a pistol works for me, it'll get a good number of rounds but it won't be carry or nightstand gun till I'm confident in it.

I think it holds promise - my eyesight means that with my glasses on, the target is crisp and the front sight blurred, without glasses my front sight is crisp but the target is not.

MVS
02-23-2020, 07:38 PM
Took mine to the range today. Battery was dead. I have had it for one month.

tlong17
03-27-2020, 11:08 AM
I wanted to add my experience to the collective. I've heard about a lot of the negatives related to this optic and must admit it "feels" very fragile and the emitter seems overly exposed. It certainly doesn't generate confidence. With that being said, I have had a good experience with it so far. I began using it on 1/20/20 on a 365XL and have carried it daily since. Battery is still going and zero has held.

The lens is VERY easy to scratch and seems especially prone to scratch right in the middle of the lens right in field of view for the dot. I'm only about 2000 rounds into it but so far am relatively pleased with how it has performed.

Finally, yesterday morning, my holstered XL fell off my bathroom counter and landed on my tile floor right square on the optic hood (overly eager to reach the soap apparently). This is roughly a 3 foot fall. The optic suffered no noticeable damage and has held zero as of my range session this morning. I expect this to be sheer luck as I don't think it would survive another fall. It also didn't fire on its own accord, although my butthole certainly puckered.

While pleased so far, I must admit I still don't have full confidence in the optic even though it hasn't given me reason to yet. I'm not sure if I'll be able to get over it and admittedly probably shouldn't be carrying it as a result but wanted to give it a chance.

ssb
07-17-2020, 05:04 PM
I guess to add to the dogpile...

I bought a RomeoZero at an acceptably cheap price, figuring it would tide me over until my Holosun 407K arrived. Purchased in early June, battery installed, zero'd, etc.

Problem 1 was a random loss of windage zero. Between my first range trip of approximately 200 rounds and the second, it shifted about 4" left at 25 yards. It was on at the end of the first trip because I recall closing that session with 25 yard B8 shooting. I have no explanation for the loss of zero.

The battery died sometime today, after approximately 40 days of normal use. Some carry, but not much, and in any event the shake awake was active so it was not 40 days of constant on.

Problem 2 was observed today. I changed the battery and torqued the optic down to spec. The dot was visibly well out of zero when reinstalled. I attempted to roughly re-zero it referencing the iron sights, but the elevation adjustment screw no longer responds.

Total round count on the optic was 384.

In sum, don't waste your money.

GJM
07-17-2020, 06:26 PM
I guess to add to the dogpile...

I bought a RomeoZero at an acceptably cheap price, figuring it would tide me over until my Holosun 407K arrived. Purchased in early June, battery installed, zero'd, etc.

Problem 1 was a random loss of windage zero. Between my first range trip of approximately 200 rounds and the second, it shifted about 4" left at 25 yards. It was on at the end of the first trip because I recall closing that session with 25 yard B8 shooting. I have no explanation for the loss of zero.

The battery died sometime today, after approximately 40 days of normal use. Some carry, but not much, and in any event the shake awake was active so it was not 40 days of constant on.

Problem 2 was observed today. I changed the battery and torqued the optic down to spec. The dot was visibly well out of zero when reinstalled. I attempted to roughly re-zero it referencing the iron sights, but the elevation adjustment screw no longer responds.

Total round count on the optic was 384.

In sum, don't waste your money.

The Romeo zero’s value proposition seems to be about $200 of optic with at least $500 worth of aggravation.

98z28
07-18-2020, 08:43 AM
Lol. That sounds about right for Sig in general, and electro optics in particular.

Just to put a little weight on the other side of the scale, I've had great experiences with two Romeo 1's over thousands of rounds and a Romeo Zero with far fewer rounds (about 200 over two range trips and probably 10x dry fire/draws). My guns and dots live an easy life these days. They are under a shirt, on the range, or in the safe. They haven't seen a lot of abuse, but they have worked as advertised. I've been happy so far.

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk

tlong17
08-15-2020, 08:36 PM
Wanted to come back and update. I now have had a 507k in use for as many rounds and the R0. The R0 is a joke. You can get a 407k for the same price and FAR better ability to

1. Adjust zero
2. Adjust brightness
3. Use built in rear sight for cowitness
4. Have a dot that doesn’t look like shit
5. Actually mounts flush to the slide without sticking up at the point nearest the ejection port.
6. Holds a zero
7. Replace the battery without removing optic and rezeroing
8. Have a battery last longer than a month on average

$50 bucks more and you can get some reticle options in a 507k. All that in a fairly sturdy aluminum housing that performed well in Aaron Cowan’s tests. Why the hell would anyone buy the Romeo Zero? I don’t even know what to do with mine. Throw it in the trash?

HCM
08-15-2020, 09:08 PM
LGS got in some LE/IOP P365XLs with R0 I stalked.

I had to retire my j frame and I’m trying to decide between a P365, G43 and the soon to be approved P365 XL.

Put 50 rounds through this. R0 was 4” right out / on for elevation out of the box.

It’s better than the 365 for me but it’s still a little to small to be fun to shoot. We’ll see how the R0 holds up. My impression from this thread is I should just go ahead and buy a Holosun 507k now for the inevitable replacement.

psalms144.1
08-16-2020, 10:06 AM
I also just picked up a 365XL with R0 installed - couldn't pass it up at the LE price. The optic came with a battery installed, but was dead on arrival. Switched the battery, still nothing. Sent a Fri night e-mail to Sig Optics CS, and chalked it up to buy a Sig.

Sat morning, picked the pistol up, and wonder of wonders, there's a dot! Took it to the range, and it lived through the first 200 rounds with no problems, and was able to go 48 for 48 on the "head" portion of our steel targets at 25 yards, without touching the zero.

I have a 507K on order, and I don't plan on keeping this R0 on the gun once a "real" optic arrives. Big issues for me so far - it feels cheap and flimsy, so I've got limited trust it'll stay functional for too long. Second, the fact that the power and brightness adjustment button is INSIDE the optic right behind the lens makes no sense whatsoever. The zero-adjustment with the tiny allen key seems like a less than perfect option as well, but, again, time will tell.

Archer1440
08-20-2020, 06:45 PM
the fact that the power and brightness adjustment button is INSIDE the optic right behind the lens makes no sense whatsoever. The zero-adjustment with the tiny allen key seems like a less than perfect option as well, but, again, time will tell.

Well, this is why some of us won’t run a Deltapoint Pro for serious work, either.

GJM
08-20-2020, 06:47 PM
Well, this is why some of us won’t run a Deltapoint Pro for serious work, either.

How much time do you have operating a DP Pro?

Archer1440
08-20-2020, 06:51 PM
How much time do you have operating a DP Pro?

Not much, maybe 200 hours. I simply do not like having to toggle up and down with the single button in order to adjust brightness. I prefer the RMR for carry.

GJM
08-20-2020, 07:04 PM
Not much, maybe 200 hours. I simply do not like having to toggle up and down with the single button in order to adjust brightness. I prefer the RMR for carry.

I suspect most people would prefer the size, controls and integration with BUIS with the RMR, and with the Pro the ease of changing batteries, the clear window and how the larger display of the DP Pro makes it easier to shoot.

Archer1440
08-20-2020, 07:35 PM
I suspect most people would prefer the size, controls and integration with BUIS with the RMR, and with the Pro the ease of changing batteries, the clear window and how the larger display of the DP Pro makes it easier to shoot.

Again, my reference was “for serious work” which I define as suitable for a fight.

I am sure you’re aware of all of the following, of course, but let’s review:

-Frequency of battery changes with the RMR vs DPP are perhaps one for four. With a good mount, and use of a torque wrench, RMR zero is easy to maintain after battery change.

-DPP is more difficult to conceal carry due to size.

-DPP view is certainly clear and wide, but if you’re target focused as you should be, and have a reasonable presentation, it doesn’t matter much.

-Reliability of the RMR Type 2 vs DPP is probably more or less a moot point. If YOURS breaks, you have a problem. But I know which one I would expect to keep working after a drop or impact.

-You need an America’s Cup spinnaker size BUIS with a DPP. ;)

GJM
08-20-2020, 08:03 PM
Again, my reference was “for serious work” which I define as suitable for a fight.

I am sure you’re aware of all of the following, of course, but let’s review:

-Frequency of battery changes with the RMR vs DPP are perhaps one for four. With a good mount, and use of a torque wrench, RMR zero is easy to maintain after battery change.

-DPP is more difficult to conceal carry due to size.

-DPP view is certainly clear and wide, but if you’re target focused as you should be, and have a reasonable presentation, it doesn’t matter much.

-Reliability of the RMR Type 2 vs DPP is probably more or less a moot point. If YOURS breaks, you have a problem. But I know which one I would expect to keep working after a drop or impact.

-You need an America’s Cup spinnaker size BUIS with a DPP. ;)

Different folks have different opinions, based on their needs and assessment of product features. As an example, the military specified the DP Pro footprint on the Sig pistols, and presumably they are interested in “serious work.”

Otherwise I agree with most of your points above, with the exception of the difference in the RMR and DP Pro display, and shooting ease. It is very rare to see a RMR in high level USPSA competition, while the SRO is easily the most commonly used optic, circa 2020.

Archer1440
08-20-2020, 08:17 PM
I agree with most of your points above, with the exception of the difference in the RMR and DP Pro display, and shooting ease. It is very rare to see a RMR in high level USPSA competition, while the SRO is easily the most commonly used optic, circa 2020.

Again, “fighting”. Competition is a very important component of building skills, but it isn’t the same as a fight. I haven’t carried an SRO in AIWB, but I don’t need to hit my thumb with a hammer to know the experience will suck.

GJM
08-20-2020, 08:35 PM
Again, “fighting”. Competition is a very important component of building skills, but it isn’t the same as a fight. I haven’t carried an SRO in AIWB, but I don’t need to hit my thumb with a hammer to know the experience will suck.

You should try carrying a pistol with an SRO AIWB, and you might feel differently. I do all the time, am wearing a 19/SRO right now, and there is essentially zero difference between an SRO or RMR carried this way, because all the extra volume of the SRO is right at the belt line. Now an ACRO is a whole different proposition, because it’s mass extends to the rear of the optic.

In a fight, I would much rather be shooting a SRO, especially with one hand or from a compromised position. Just one data point, but my wife finished first overall (everyone not lady) at the Gunsite GAS match in 2019, shooting a SRO. She was fastest in raw time and had the least penalty points of anyone in the match.

HCM
08-20-2020, 09:04 PM
Different folks have different opinions, based on their needs and assessment of product features. As an example, the military specified the DP Pro footprint on the Sig pistols, and presumably they are interested in “serious work.”

Otherwise I agree with most of your points above, with the exception of the difference in the RMR and DP Pro display, and shooting ease. It is very rare to see a RMR in high level USPSA competition, while the SRO is easily the most commonly used optic, circa 2020.

I'm with GJM on this one. For a time I thought I didn't like pistol optics because they were synonymous with RMRs. Since gaining a broader base of experience including RMRs, DPPs, SRO's ACROs, Holosun SIG Romeo and SIG ROMEO1 PRO and even an Aimpoint H1 I've learned the RMR is simply my least favorite Pistol Optic. I see better performance with every optic listed vs the RMR. For the record I have "killed" both a DPP and a Gen 1 RMR.

As for "fighting" the U.S. Marshals have been allowing the RMR and DPP for a couple years now and decided to issue the DPP to theirSOG (national tactical team) members. IME they have the highest rate of OIS in federal LE. Locally many are opting for the DPP.

I believe NickDrak has been running an SRO on duty for a while now an is up to 8 or 10k rounds on one.

My own agency is currently issuing SIG Romeo1 PROs to our SRT team members as the final evaluation phase of a broader RDS program. The Romeo1 PRO is basically a DPP clone with brightness adjustment buttons on the side instead of on top of the battery compartment like the DPP.

The biggest issue with the DPP's was some having issues with the electronics getting beaten up and/or the battery contact coming loose but the latest versions, particularly the newest with the blue battery compartment interior (vs the old green) seem to have addressed this.

SoCalDep has some excellent info on his agency's "fighting" dot experiences as well.

Archer1440
08-20-2020, 09:43 PM
In a fight, I would much rather be shooting a SRO, especially with one hand or from a compromised position. Just one data point, but my wife finished first overall (everyone not lady) at the Gunsite GAS match in 2019, shooting a SRO. She was fastest in raw time and had the least penalty points of anyone in the match.

I was there too, and everyone was impressed with her stellar performance. I think I was on one stage with her and her performance was humbling to say the least. You should be proud... and very careful around the house ;)

Hope to see you at the next one. I will be doing the Cooper Memorial and a range day in a couple of weeks, and after GAS in October, repeating my 499.

tlong17
08-22-2020, 10:50 AM
Getting some good user feedback on SRO vs RMR tucked away in the Romeo Zero thread. Gotta love this place!

JHC
09-04-2020, 11:38 AM
IG note and photo from Frank Proctor on a Romeo 3 Max

https://www.instagram.com/p/CEt_imbBwKQ/?igshid=unxg68xnnz1f

HCM
12-11-2020, 09:37 PM
Getting back to the Romeo Zero.

Just did the first battery change. Got about 3 months out of the factory battery.

The torque spec per SIG is 8 inch/LBS. most torque drivers like my Wiha and Fat max start at 10. Apparently the Vortex one starts at 8 ?

Went to the indoor range tonight and had a significant zero shift. About 3” left and 5” low at 7 yards.

Tried to adjust / re-zero but could only get it to go up and right about an inch.

tlong17
12-11-2020, 11:23 PM

Just did the first battery change. Got about 3 months out of the factory battery.

The torque spec per SIG is 8 inch/LBS. most torque drivers like my Wiha and Fat max start at 10. Apparently the Vortex one starts at 8 ?

Went to the indoor range tonight and had a significant zero shift. About 3” left and 5” low at 7 yards.

Tried to adjust / re-zero but could only get it to go up and right about an inch.

I’ve come across a couple people at classes who have had good results with their R0’s. But I still can’t see the reason why I’d not just get a 407k for about the same or a 507k for a bit more. Zeroing the R0, adjusting the brightness, replacing battery, all a pain in the ass.

98z28
12-13-2020, 02:07 PM

Sigh. This is my surprised faced. I have not had to change the batteries in my R0s yet, but I did have to remove two Romeo1s to get the serial numbers off of them (they arrived from Sig installed on the slides). There was significant zero shift in both units when I reinstalled them - much more than I expected given the mounting system. Both dots were so far low and right that I expected to run out of adjustment before re-zeroing them. I thought about removing and reinstalling to see if I could get the dots more centered. It worked out, though. There was enough adjustment to get it done.

The R0s are have a similar mounting system.

HCM
12-13-2020, 02:53 PM
Sigh. This is my surprised faced. I have not had to change the batteries in my R0s yet, but I did have to remove two Romeo1s to get the serial numbers off of them (they arrived from Sig installed on the slides). There was significant zero shift in both units when I reinstalled them - much more than I expected given the mounting system. Both dots were so far low and right that I expected to run out of adjustment before re-zeroing them. I thought about removing and reinstalling to see if I could get the dots more centered. It worked out, though. There was enough adjustment to get it done.

The R0s are have a similar mounting system.

Well, just to update - be very careful when installing /re-installing the R0.

TLDR when they say 8 inch/LBS they mean 8 inch/LBS. apparently, despite using a torque driver on the minimum (10lb) setting I managed to sink the screw head into the plastic body and get one stuck, even though the screw was not cross threaded. Wound up buying a second Romeo and will be sending this one back in.,

Though the sight itself worked well, the long term answer will be to get a 507k...

Nephrology
12-13-2020, 11:10 PM
Well, just to update - be very careful when installing /re-installing the R0.

TLDR when they say 8 inch/LBS they mean 8 inch/LBS. apparently, despite using a torque driver on the minimum (10lb) setting I managed to sink the screw head into the plastic body and get one stuck, even though the screw was not cross threaded. Wound up buying a second Romeo and will be sending this one back in.,

Though the sight itself worked well, the long term answer will be to get a 507k...

Yikes.

runcible
08-02-2021, 09:32 PM
Anyone got pictures of how a Romeo Zero comes apart for battery changes and\or during a failure mode?

I find myself wondering if it'd be worth trialing a voiding of the warranty, by way of internal spacers to prevent installational destruction and potting the internals. It's likely the path of madness, but it wouldn't be me if I didn't research it to its logical conclusion.

JCN
08-02-2021, 09:43 PM
Anyone got pictures of how a Romeo Zero comes apart for battery changes and\or during a failure mode?

I find myself wondering if it'd be worth trialing a voiding of the warranty, by way of internal spacers to prevent installational destruction and potting the internals. It's likely the path of madness, but it wouldn't be me if I didn't research it to its logical conclusion.

Romeo zero is open on the underside like an RMR. They include a plastic sticker to put like a sealing plate on the bottom.

JCN
08-02-2021, 09:45 PM
IG note and photo from Frank Proctor on a Romeo 3 Max

https://www.instagram.com/p/CEt_imbBwKQ/?igshid=unxg68xnnz1f

I put a Romeo 3 Max on a Glock MOS using a CMore plate.

Archer1440
08-09-2021, 09:24 PM

I have two friends who have had total failures of Romeo Zeros in EDC roles- both of them had a maximum of 50 rounds on them. One simply died and wouldn’t turn back on despite known good battery changes. The other had a failure of the frame holding the emitter in the body after a (literal) 1.5 foot drop onto concrete in a garage. Went from a dot to a diagonal streak across the entire screen.

In both cases the units were promptly replaced by SIG, and despite my best efforts my friends won’t go for something more robust, but neither of them is what anyone would call a serious shooter.

I think it would be difficult to epoxy-pot the interior without locking up the adjustment mechanism.