PDA

View Full Version : Winter Boots

Glenn E. Meyer
11-10-2019, 01:35 PM
The last thread was a couple of years old. I need a pair of winter boots, urban and light rural - but they must be wide. Casual searching, just brings up mainly Mediums. Any hints on recent purchases, searches.

Thanks.

RevolverRob
11-10-2019, 01:51 PM
Man, I just went through this and finally got an accurate foot measurement and realized I’m a wide fitting, instead of medium. Which severely limits options. None of the traditional “winter” boots come in wide sizes.

I recommend a gortex hiking boot, that has as much of a 1-piece upper as possible (to prevent moisture ingress) and is resoleable.

So I just bought (as in a few days ago) a pair of Zamberlans (https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=as_li_ss_tl?k=zamberlan+boots+mens&crid=37H6N7K25J5KX&sprefix=Zamberla,aps,200&ref=nb_sb_ss_i_1_8&linkCode=ll2&tag=ratio07-20&linkId=776248a7640808c4264946b3dd52b8f5&language=en_US). Zamberlan and Lowa are the only ones I can find in those criteria. They ain’t cheap, the Zamberlans were $325, but they fit well and the should now outlast the Asolos they are replacing (which could not be resoled).

Risto
11-10-2019, 02:25 PM
I can recommend the Keen Summit County (https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=as_li_ss_tl?k=keen+summit+county+winter+boots&crid=2XJZPW8TV4CPB&sprefix=Keen+summi,aps,142&ref=nb_sb_ss_i_2_10&linkCode=ll2&tag=ratio07-20&linkId=e4ed480007a292352dd7d4e58b14829c&language=en_US) after only a few months of wearing. The boot it good for wide feet and the waterproofing is outstanding. The insulation is 450g around the wide toe box and 300g in the rest of the boot (if I remember correctly). I used them hunting in pretty deep snow with gaiters and some pretty cold temps 20s to -9. Feet were comfortable while walking. I have wide feet and was surprised how well these fit.

They’re under $200.

https://www.keenfootwear.com/p/M-SUMMIT-COUNTY.html

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Guerrero
11-10-2019, 02:30 PM
I bought a pair of Bogs (https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=as_li_ss_tl?k=bog+winter+boots+men&ref=nb_sb_noss_1&linkCode=ll2&tag=ratio07-20&linkId=4d2b3260e12f48d1a14a95e1c56de94c&language=en_US) last year, and so far I've been pleasantly surprised how warm and waterproof they are.

Lex Luthier
11-10-2019, 08:07 PM
I'm actively shopping for the same -my Cabelas Snow Runners are notably less insulating after 5 winters- and put on a pair of Oboz boots at one of the local places. I tried their wide variation on the Mens Bridger 8" boot and was surprised at just how much difference was there between the wide and regular versions. They're running about $185-190, but sales are starting this week. I also tested the same Keens posted above, and though the claimed insulation level seemed optimistic (it can and does hit -35 F here) the footbed was joyously comfortable.

Cypher
11-10-2019, 08:21 PM
I say this every time this type of discussion comes up but for field use I really don't think you can beat the Bellevilles (https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=as_li_ss_tl?k=Belleville+boots+men&ref=nb_sb_noss_2&linkCode=ll2&tag=ratio07-20&linkId=fd44cd58be3468d183c5184478f5c9b7&language=en_US) for the price.

My job keeps me outside, in the snow for most if not all of my shift. I have never had a problem wearing Belleville's.

The last pair I bought was new, with tags on them, in a surplus store and I paid $20.

Alembic
11-10-2019, 08:37 PM
I’ll recommend Lowa and add Garmont, for wide feet and as quality manufacturers.

I usually just read, but since the Keen model is the “Summit County”I can resist a comment. As a 23 year resident of Summit County, Colorado and a outdoor store employee, buyer and manager; I will say yes, Keen shoes have a have a wide foot box, and will fall apart after 2 years of use. The propriety water proof membrane works but does not breath. If you think of them as a disposable they are fine.

In my experience, any glue together cloth and leather hybrid is a disposable, Lowa and Garmont are better, (both make real mountain full leather boots as well)but if you want to buy and cry once, and are not looking for a mountaineering boot, buy American, buy Chippewa Boots. They come in widths, insulated and uninsulated. And resoleable. They are boots for a decade of hard use.

jeep45238
11-10-2019, 08:42 PM
Big fan of Danner Gritstone (https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=as_li_ss_tl?k=Gritstone+boots+men+danner&ref=nb_sb_noss_2&linkCode=ll2&tag=ratio07-20&linkId=9dbeaf032ea4340ce9861856b5ecc84b&language=en_US) insulated boots. 400g insulation, composite toe available, rebuildable, full leather, water proof, Vibram sole. It's treated me quite well.

EVP
11-10-2019, 09:57 PM
Well it depends what temps you plan to be using them in, but if your in Texas any hiking type boot will work and be good.

With that being said, the Salomon quest 4d GTX (https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=as_li_ss_tl?k=Salomon+quest+4d+GTX&ref=nb_sb_noss_2&linkCode=ll2&tag=ratio07-20&linkId=11829fb43fdb271f754ea62d6a2bd5fe&language=en_US) is always a solid option. Toe box is nice and roomy and a great boot like many have discovered.

AKDoug
11-10-2019, 10:03 PM
I'm not sure what level of insulation you need, but Irish Setter Elk Tracker 1000gram thinsulate boots are my go-to winter boot now. Once it's too cold for them it's into my military bunny boots. Kept clean and oiled, they look good, come in wide widths and they are able to be resoled.

AKDoug
11-10-2019, 10:09 PM
Just noticed you are in Texas. In even the coldest temps you get, I wear a light gortex hiker and just upgrade my socks to Merino wool. I'm a big fan of Scarpa boots and shoes for my non-winter (Alaskan standards) use. The Kailash GTX's are available in wides and I've been wearing them all fall running heavy equipment and driving heavy trucks. I am surprised they are holding up so well and bought a second pair for my "town" boots.

Alembic
11-10-2019, 10:39 PM
Scarpa and La Sportiva are the best of the best for mountaineering boots. Sportiva's tend to be built on a narrow last, but if you find a pair that fit your foot...

To the OP, being in Texas, I would guess waterproofing might be priority over maximum insulation.

Another consideration.Breakin period. The advantage of a boot like the Keens is, as stated, is that they are comfortable right out of the box.
Full leather can be crippling if you need to put miles on them on day one.

BehindBlueI's
11-10-2019, 10:59 PM
I have wide feet as well, a 4E or 5E depending on the last. I agree with Keen being an excellent option. If you want something a bit less hiking boot, I have some "Rustic Asphalt" boots that are lined with a synthetic wool type material and have done me right. I don't think they make my exact style any longer, but here's the current iteration: https://www.dsw.com/en/us/product/rustic-asphalt-cool-nite-boot/451095?activeColor=213

ST911
11-10-2019, 11:27 PM
The Keen Targhee EXP mid is a great winter everyday hiker for me, both urban and woods. Sock to the temp you need. I've worn these beyond what Keen had in mind with some heavy Darn Toughs, gaiters, and cleats. They will certainly do well in a Texas "winter." Link: https://www.keenfootwear.com/p/M-TARGHEE-EXP-MID-WP.html?dwvar_M-TARGHEE-EXP-MID-WP_color=1017714&cgid=

I'm trying the new Targhee High Lace right now, so far so good. 200 grams of thinsulate and verified waterproof. They are a little warmer than I like even with lightest socks unless I'm staying outside. They are GTG in the teens and will work much colder. Link: https://www.keenfootwear.com/p/M-TARGHEE-LACE-BOOT-HIGH-WP.html

Friends in wide sizes verify fit with the standard sizes, as Keens tend to run a little generous.

Glenn E. Meyer
11-11-2019, 07:54 AM
Thanks for the choices. FYI, no longer in Texas. For family reasons, back to an old home town in Erie county, NY. Thus, I want some for real winter boots. I have a pair buried in some movers box but could use new ones.

Lost River
11-11-2019, 09:53 AM
Asolos are top notch if you can get them in a wide ( I wear a medium). Waterproof and quite capable for typical winter outdoors type stuff. Ever since Vasque left Italy and moved production to China, I switched to Asolos, and have found them to be excellent.

JohnO
11-11-2019, 10:43 AM
Thanks for the choices. FYI, no longer in Texas. For family reasons, back to an old home town in Erie county, NY. Thus, I want some for real winter boots. I have a pair buried in some movers box but could use new ones.

Sounds like you need a pair of Sorel snow boots.

AKDoug
11-11-2019, 11:35 AM

In that case, I stand by my first recommendation for most days and have a pair of Sorrels or Baffins in the closet when you get DUMPED on with snow.

BehindBlueI's
11-11-2019, 11:45 AM
Anybody try Oboz? Guy at the boot shop I frequent used to talk them up pretty good.

JTMcC
11-11-2019, 11:52 AM
Everybody's feet are different of course but my LONG journey to (real) wide, and real comfort ended when I started buying Danners.
I use several different types and all have been spectacular, for me.
I only buy the American made models.

Guerrero
11-11-2019, 12:33 PM
I bought a pair of Bogs (https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=as_li_ss_tl?k=bog+winter+boots+men&ref=nb_sb_noss_1&linkCode=ll2&tag=ratio07-20&linkId=4d2b3260e12f48d1a14a95e1c56de94c&language=en_US) last year, and so far I've been pleasantly surprised how warm and waterproof they are.

Keep in mind that to me, "winter boots" means something that will handle 12" of snow and -20 windchill temps, not 31 degrees and slop/sleet.

RevolverRob
11-11-2019, 12:45 PM
Keep in mind that to me, "winter boots" means something that will handle 12" of snow and -20 windchill temps, not 31 degrees and slop/sleet.

It's amazing to me, that ~1 hour south of you, "winter boots" basically means something that will handle 4-6" of snow, 0º windchill, and slop and sleet at 15-20ºF most of the time.

Sure, we have those blasts, with windchills down below 0 and temps down below 0, like that one last winter with -50º windchill. But when it's that damn cold, I'm out for 3-5 minutes to take the dog out and back in the house. Waterproof hiking boots and wool socks handle in and out of warm buildings with < 15 minutes of exposure without a problem, even down to -10.

Beyond that of course, more dedicated boots are better and necessary.

ST911
11-11-2019, 12:50 PM
Anybody try Oboz? Guy at the boot shop I frequent used to talk them up pretty good.

I don't wear them, but shoe nerd friends like them.

Doublestack45
11-11-2019, 12:52 PM
These North Face boots who's model name (Baltoro?)escapes me, are the second pair that I rotate daily for work.
I am outside all winter in northern New England with them while grading and buying logs. Best description I have is they wear like ultra warm running shoes, being lightweight and waterproof.
Sorel boots tend to feel like clown shoes for me, their warmth no where near offsetting their clumsiness.
I picked up my first pair of Muck boots with a composite safety toe for this winter, but haven't worn them yet.
I am worried that the neoprene construction might trap too much moisture though.

Unless you are going to be standing in 6"+ of water all day, my advice would be to get a boot that offers more flex/breathability above the ankle, especially for the usual winter tasks like walking, shoveling, or snowshoeing.

perlslacker
11-11-2019, 12:53 PM
Sounds like you need a pair of Sorel snow boots.

I grew up in the upper Midwest, and Sorels were *the* winter boots to have.

A few years ago, on some forum, I casually recommended Sorels to someone for good snow boots. I was informed that they're made overseas now and are significantly lower quality than they used to be. Might not be a good option anymore, but I haven't lived anywhere with real winter in over a decade.

Crash41984
11-11-2019, 01:10 PM
We are supposed to get 8-10" here today, already have 6". At the risk of sounding like a musical, I have a pair of Ugg Butte boots that have been my goto snow boots for the last 5 years. They were expensive ($250ish?), but they are going on their 6th winter and show no signs of needing replacement. If I can't wear those, Muck Arctic Pros and Merino Wool socks. Although not very urban.

Guerrero
11-11-2019, 01:16 PM
It's amazing to me, that ~1 hour south of you, "winter boots" basically means something that will handle 4-6" of snow, 0º windchill, and slop and sleet at 15-20ºF most of the time.

Sure, we have those blasts, with windchills down below 0 and temps down below 0, like that one last winter with -50º windchill. But when it's that damn cold, I'm out for 3-5 minutes to take the dog out and back in the house. Waterproof hiking boots and wool socks handle in and out of warm buildings with < 15 minutes of exposure without a problem, even down to -10.

Beyond that of course, more dedicated boots are better and necessary.

Do you even shovel, bro?

;)

AKDoug
11-11-2019, 02:23 PM

Boggs make dedicated winter boots and some of them are incredibly warm. This coming from a guy in Alaska. BTW your feet never feel windchill unless they are bare.

RevolverRob
11-11-2019, 02:46 PM
Do you even shovel, bro?

;)

https://vulcanflamethrowers.com/products/v9-flamethrower

BobM
11-11-2019, 04:20 PM
I like my Schnees for real cold and or snowy weather.

JTMcC
11-11-2019, 04:27 PM
We are supposed to get 8-10" here today, already have 6". At the risk of sounding like a musical, I have a pair of Ugg Butte boots that have been my goto snow boots for the last 5 years. They were expensive ($250ish?), but they are going on their 6th winter and show no signs of needing replacement. If I can't wear those, Muck Arctic Pros and Merino Wool socks. Although not very urban.

I've worked with quite a few Pipeliners in Montana, Wyoming & N Dakota who absolutely swear by the Arctic Mucks. They love those things.

And a smaller sample size who really like the White's Elk Guide Pacs.

SD
11-20-2019, 06:37 AM
Interesting information about soles and materials that enhance hold down for better footing. https://youtu.be/H7arcyry6Xc

Glenn E. Meyer
11-20-2019, 10:34 AM
So, I bought:

REDHEAD MENS TRACKER 8" LTHR GTX
Item: 819694 | SIZE: 10 1 2 | WIDTH: WIDE | COLOR: TRUE TIMBER HT

Versatile hunting boots with a focus on comfort
Tough and rugged leather uppers
GORE-TEX waterproof-membrane technology
400-gram 3M Thinsulate Ultra Insulation
Patented RedHead rubber lug outsoles

They came in wide, needed for me and were on sale ($89 from $149).
They seem to fit well and the price was right. Are they optimal? I will see as the blizzards pile it on.

SD
11-20-2019, 04:38 PM
So, I bought:

REDHEAD MENS TRACKER 8" LTHR GTX
Item: 819694 | SIZE: 10 1 2 | WIDTH: WIDE | COLOR: TRUE TIMBER HT

Versatile hunting boots with a focus on comfort
Tough and rugged leather uppers
GORE-TEX waterproof-membrane technology
400-gram 3M Thinsulate Ultra Insulation
Patented RedHead rubber lug outsoles

They came in wide, needed for me and were on sale ($89 from $149).
They seem to fit well and the price was right. Are they optimal? I will see as the blizzards pile it on.
Can you say "Lake Effect Snow"

Glenn E. Meyer
11-20-2019, 06:01 PM
Lived in it before for years, now I'm back. Just bought a more significant winter coat for down to -40, and Duluth lined pants. Snow tires on the Forester. Funny, Tamara just had an article on winter carry and suggested her SW432PD in an outer pocket. That will work for me, with mine.

Shawn Dodson
11-22-2019, 06:57 PM
I like L.L. Bean boots. They're offered in wide sizes.

Glenn E. Meyer
11-23-2019, 10:00 AM
I had problems with LLBeans falling apart spontaneous with just the passage of a few years. A pair of insulated chukka types had the soles fall off. They weren't worn that much. Just sitting around in the house. Then a pair of light weight hikers. I was going to a class - and walking to the line and the soles fell off both. They were about 5 years old and worn maybe three or four times a year. Luckily, I packed a pair of low Danners and got them out of the car (didn't leave them in the hotel).

Lesson, check soles. Have extras with you. Don't buy LLBean boots.

ST911
11-23-2019, 07:28 PM
I had problems with LLBeans falling apart spontaneous with just the passage of a few years. A pair of insulated chukka types had the soles fall off. They weren't worn that much. Just sitting around in the house. Then a pair of light weight hikers. I was going to a class - and walking to the line and the soles fell off both. They were about 5 years old and worn maybe three or four times a year. Luckily, I packed a pair of low Danners and got them out of the car (didn't leave them in the hotel). Lesson, check soles. Have extras with you. Don't buy LLBean boots.

I have experienced this on some shoes from other brands. I have a theory that stored-much, used-little shoes with glued soles experience a drying/rot/breakdown of the glue if left to sit. Shoes that are worn more regularly have that glue worked/flexed so that it doesn't dry and fail. Or they simply wear out before the glue dies.

Glenn E. Meyer
11-23-2019, 07:43 PM
Same thing happened with a pair of New Balance sneakers. Kept them in the closet till another pair wore out. Took out these new ones that promptly fell apart.

Shawn Dodson
11-24-2019, 04:00 AM
Well then, I have a pair of 8" all leather Goretex Danners I bought in 1985 that are still going strong. Just some saddle soap and neutral Kiwi wax every now and then and they just keep truckin' along. Also have a pair of 10" all leather black Goretex Danners I bought in 1994, when I was an M1A1 tank commander in the Washington Army National Guard, that are still in great shape too. But I wear L.L. Bean duck shoes around the yard in the late fall and winter.

GOTURBACK
11-24-2019, 09:58 AM
I swear by Hoffman boots, American made completely rebuild-able mine have been going 10 years now. https://www.hoffmanboots.com/hoffman-winter-pacs
https://www.hoffmanboots.com/double-insulated-hoffman-mountaineer

RJ
12-02-2019, 12:18 PM
So this is what ‘Winter Boots’ are in Florida.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20191202/7d310b359dca192f8184a1408f1fc8c2.jpg

Timberland Men's Classic Trekker:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004HIUBJQ?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

Back story: I wore out a pair of these traveling around the world for work in the 90s. I was glad they can still be bought. Style is perfect for me. Dress up or down. Goretex lined. Avail in W sizes (I am 8.5EE, Fit is perfect.). Just needed a few days easy breaking in to feel comfortable enough to travel in this week back to Albuquerque.

I wonder if you can still get neatsfoot oil? That’s what i used to use. Or is that too boomer? :(

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Caballoflaco
12-02-2019, 05:15 PM
I wonder if you can still get neatsfoot oil? That’s what i used to use. Or is that too boomer? :(

While those boots do scream boomer :D, oil purified from the feet and shinbones of cows never goes out of style.

https://www.amazon.com/Angelus-100-Pure-Neatsfoot-Oil/dp/B019G1QMP0/ref=mp_s_a_1_29?keywords=neatsfoot+oil&qid=1575324706&sprefix=neatsfo&sr=8-29

RoyGBiv
12-05-2019, 06:33 AM
Not sure if these are "winter" enough.

MERRELL Men's Moab 2 Defense Tactical Boots $90
https://sport.woot.com/offers/merrell-men-moab-2-defense-tactical-boot?utm_medium=affiliate&utm_source=TechBargains&utm_campaign=CJ&cjevent=9f57b4e8175211ea804a01960a1c0e13

LittleLebowski
12-05-2019, 07:18 AM
While those boots do scream boomer :D, oil purified from the feet and shinbones of cows never goes out of style.

https://www.amazon.com/Angelus-100-Pure-Neatsfoot-Oil/dp/B019G1QMP0/ref=mp_s_a_1_29?keywords=neatsfoot+oil&qid=1575324706&sprefix=neatsfo&sr=8-29

I've got many hours with that stuff and tack for horses.

BehindBlueI's
02-10-2020, 11:24 AM
The last thread was a couple of years old. I need a pair of winter boots, urban and light rural - but they must be wide. Casual searching, just brings up mainly Mediums. Any hints on recent purchases, searches.

Thanks.

So I get that this might be too late, but:

https://www.merrell.com/US/en/thermo-chill-mid-waterproof/32356M.html

These say they are a medium. I have duck feet, wide in the front and narrow in the back. They fit me perfectly. Usually I have to stretch the toe box of a EEE to get something that doesn't slip around on my heel. These were perfect out of the box. If you also have aquatic paddlers instead of walking feet, check these out. I've put about 5 miles on them on the trail and road, so I haven't worn them a lot yet but can confidently say they are comfortable, don't slip on my heel, and are good for at least mid-20's and wetness.

Bonus: They are on clearance both on the website and at retail. I got mine at Marshall's for $45. I almost didn't even bother trying them on since I "knew" they wouldn't fit but my wife talked me into it.

SLUZENE
02-11-2020, 12:47 PM
A long and good read for winter related stuff, including boots:
https://www.lightfighter.net/topic/arctic1-s-big-winter-gear-thread

I also wear a wide/XW, and wide is code word for FUCKED in the footwear world, especially for winter or mountaineering boots.

Winter boots mean no untreated leather and no gore-tex for me. If a boot contains normal leather or gore-tex is likely not a true "winter boot" as I think of winter boots: Sorels, Baffin, Canadian Mukluks, etc.

Dan_S
02-11-2020, 01:23 PM
Schnee’s.

I have a pair, for when it gets miserable out.

https://schnees.com/schnees-boots/schnees-pac-boots/

Nephrology
02-11-2020, 04:53 PM
I wear Salomons - Quest 4D GTX. Very happy with them. Great traction in snow and comfortable enough to wear all day. Very much a hiking boot aesthetic but its Denver so vaguely standard issue.