PDA

View Full Version : Carbine drills for those new to the platform

Little Creek
04-21-2012, 06:38 AM
What do you that are up to speed and beyond (and those who teach) recommend for starting drills with the AR-15? starting position? target size? distance to target? strings of fire etc. This is for those of us who will never be trained by the government for Special Operations.

Thanks,

John Hearne
04-21-2012, 08:01 AM
I would politely suggest that you attend an Appleseed event for $50 and get a solid foundation in rifle marksmanship before you worry about anything else.

5pins
04-21-2012, 08:40 AM
Vikingtactics on youtube has some rifle drills.

rob_s
04-21-2012, 08:42 AM
What about other training? In almost every case except for Tier-1 units you're better off with commercial trainining anyway.

With zero prior experience or instruction I'm somewhat reluctant to suggest much in the way of drills. This is because if you start down the path of incorrect manipulations of the gun and get a lot of rounds through it then it will be that much harder for someone to correct you later.

Assuming you're good to go on loading, unloading, charging, etc. (and yes, there is a right and wrong way to do these things, several of each, in fact)...

Accuracy. I can't stress it enough. Learn the fundamentals of shooting the gun. If you are already a good pistol shooter (say, scoring 40 or above regularly on Dot Torture) then it will be easier to become a good rifle shooter.

Kyle Defoor's Carbine standards, without the running, is a good place to start.

Or, put another way, prone at 100, sitting at 75, kneeling at 50, squat at 25, and standing at 10-15. You can use an NRA B-8 pistol bull repair center.
(here again, if you've never been instructed on the basic positions you may get crappy results and start to ingrain bad habits)

For close range stuff you need to learn to understand offset of your iron sights relative to the bore. The B-8 turns out to be good for this as well. Hold on the X at 5 yards and fire five careful, slow, rounds. Note where the rounds impact. Now you know how high you need to hold. Fire five, careful, slow rounds taking offset into account and you should have all 5 in the X ring. When teaching, I also use this portion to explain the ease to reset and have shooters hold the trigger to the rear until they re-acquire the sights.

Once you have all of this, you can start to look at speed, but here you need to understand the concept of cadence. Start with Bill Drills (and, BTW, you can do Bill Drills at all of the distances and positions listed above) and then move on to things like the 2x2x2 and the 1-5.

NETim
04-21-2012, 08:51 AM
The little bit of research I've done on the subject leads me to believe that yes, an Appleseed event would provide a solid foundation. Talk is the little S&W 15-22 performs well at these events.

Once I become proficient with the AR, I'm going to have to get one of these apparently indispensable AR items:

AR-15 Tire Deflator (http://www.amazon.com/Mako-AR-15-Tire-Deflator-Attachment/dp/B002BL1CK8/ref=sr_1_fkmr1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1335015912&sr=8-1-fkmr1)

:confused:

And equally confusing to me, what is this fixation with turning an AR into a golf ball launcher????? Any farm boy knows all ya need is a bag full of M-80's and a fence post driver to do that. :)