PDA

View Full Version : First squib load

noguns
11-05-2019, 11:16 AM
How hard should I try to hammer out a squib?

I'm using a brass punch and hammer. I'm afraid to hit harder. Is my barrel toast? I searched online and a few claimed it took not much force. I'd hate to booger up my barrel.

It's a Glock barrel gen 3 and the bullet was factory blazer brass 147.

Thanks

Clusterfrack
11-05-2019, 11:45 AM
Use a squib rod or other brass or aluminum rod the same diameter as the barrel. A sharp punch can spread the bullet and wedge it.

You can find a brass rod on Amazon.

Be patient and use the right tools.

Taking the barrel out is a good idea.

It shouldn’t take more than a few light whacks to drive it out.

I prefer to go from the breech and drive it out the muzzle.

And--unless you fired a second shot on top of the squib, or somehow damaged it by using the wrong tools, your barrel will be fine.

BehindBlueI's
11-05-2019, 11:52 AM
Brass rod, deadblow hammer, lots of little taps vs a few big ones, and it'll come out. I've heard of folks using PB Blaster or the like to help lube the process, but have never done so myself.

noguns
11-05-2019, 01:17 PM
So I should hammer it out the "business end" and not the other way?

Clusterfrack
11-05-2019, 01:20 PM
So I should hammer it out the "business end" and not the other way?

If it requires hammering, check where the bullet is. If it’s well into the barrel, I would push it out the muzzle. If it’s stuck at the chamber, go from the muzzle toward the chamber.

But often just a few taps with the rod from the muzzle side with the gun still assembled will clear it. Try that first.

noguns
11-05-2019, 05:15 PM
Ended up doing it the opposite direction of bullet travel.

Popped right out!

Thanks, all.

I'm just glad my gun didn't blow up. I'm glad I stopped to check if the barrel was obstructed.

camsdaddy
11-05-2019, 05:27 PM
I use a wooden dowel and a hammer. I spray a little wd40 and let it set. I pour out the fluid then hammer to the closest end.
Unfortunately I’ve had more practice than I care to mention lately. Appears my press is not dropping powder randomly.

Clusterfrack
11-05-2019, 08:19 PM
If you have room in your press for a powder check station, this is a really good idea. My favorite is the RCBS Lockout Die.

camsdaddy
11-06-2019, 07:24 AM
If you have room in your press for a powder check station, this is a really good idea. My favorite is the RCBS Lockout Die.
I only have three stations on my current set up. This may be an excuse to move to a four hole progressive.

Clusterfrack
11-06-2019, 10:36 AM
I only have three stations on my current set up. This may be an excuse to move to a four hole progressive.

I'm having trouble remembering what that would be like... Oh, that's because I've never loaded on a press that primitive :D. Is this what your car looks like?

Seriously, though--unless you are on a very low budget, you need a real press. 5 Stages would be ideal, so you have room to grow.

camsdaddy
11-06-2019, 11:51 AM
I'm having trouble remembering what that would be like... Oh, that's because I've never loaded on a press that primitive :D. Is this what your car looks like?

Seriously, though--unless you are on a very low budget, you need a real press. 5 Stages would be ideal, so you have room to grow.

Yes that is a picture of a me and a friend on the way to the range the other day.

I am loading on a Lee Pro 1000. I have thought of going to a 550 or a square deal because I know the real world is blue. I just dont know what they will offer above what I currently run. Then again if I can get a powder alarm it may be worth it. It sucks to go to the range and have to alter plans due to ammo.

Clusterfrack
11-06-2019, 12:03 PM
Yes that is a picture of a me and a friend on the way to the range the other day.

I am loading on a Lee Pro 1000. I have thought of going to a 550 or a square deal because I know the real world is blue. I just dont know what they will offer above what I currently run. Then again if I can get a powder alarm it may be worth it. It sucks to go to the range and have to alter plans due to ammo.

A Dillon 750 is $650, or about the cost of a Glock with decent sights. You get a real case feeder and 5 stations. You have the option of adding a bullet feeder later.

I bet there are some good deals on used 650s now that the 750 is out.

mmc45414
11-06-2019, 07:30 PM
A Dillon 750 is $650, or about the cost of a Glock with decent sights. You get a real case feeder and 5 stations.

$650 is without case feeder, just a point of clarification.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

mmc45414
11-06-2019, 09:35 PM
$650 is without case feeder, just a point of clarification.
I would also say, if I was dipping my toe in the blue pool, I would consider going with a 750 without a case feeder instead of a 550, cause then ya got the option.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Clusterfrack
11-06-2019, 09:40 PM
I would also say, if I was dipping my toe in the blue pool, I would consider going with a 750 without a case feeder instead of a 550, cause then ya got the option.

Yes. Sorry for the error on price. That adds another $300.

I can't imagine loading without a case feeder... If cash is tight, look for a used 650.

mmc45414
11-07-2019, 09:16 AM
I can't imagine loading without a case feeder...
Sitting at a computer now, better to reply than phone, so I can clarify that there is no way that a 650/750 user is not gonna end up with a case feeder. But... If a fella is just buying in to Blue, and is experienced and transitioning from something else, I would, after using both, suggest they consider the 650/750 instead of a 550 (as great as they are). Dropping a case in the 750 feeder adapter would not be that much different than placing a case on the 550 plate. Then, when ya got the $300 snag the feeder.

I used my SL900 that way for probably 1500-2000 rounds. I had just bought a 686 and the Dillon, so having just blown about $3k just because I wanted to move to 20g, I limped along for a bit without the feeder. My skeet volume is only ~100/week, before the next spring I bought the feeder. Not sure they even sell the SL900 that way anymore.

I also recently got a second 650, and plan to share the feeder (at least for a while). The damn thing is another 50% of the cost, and I will not be using them at exactly the same time. I mounted them right next to each other and replaced the screw with a knob and the swap is quick.