PDA

View Full Version : Found an old Craftsman USA made vise

LittleLebowski
10-30-2019, 09:44 AM
Crossing my fingers that it’s still available. USA made, 4”, $40. These are good, right?

beenalongtime
10-30-2019, 09:54 AM
If it actually is made in the USA, and not some idiot marketing it as such, yes.

OlongJohnson
10-30-2019, 09:55 AM
If you lose it, get an old Wilton bullet style. Built to last 1000 years. The only thing that could kill it is rust.

willie
10-30-2019, 10:05 AM
Yes. The parts may be machined and not cast. If cast, then they most likely will be cast steel. Regardless, the vice is one more example of lost manufacturing resources once taken for granted. We have already reached the point where the common working man does not know the difference between a Harbor Freight Chinese tool or implement than and an American made vice like the Craftsman. Some might ask what difference does it make? An interested person might visit forums devoted to machinists and others who work with metal.

Stephanie B
10-30-2019, 10:38 AM
I picked this little one up at a thrift shop for $10

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20191030/07430eace62796564fce706eba5f8eb2.jpg

It has felt dots on the jaws for holding things without marking them.

Hambo
10-30-2019, 10:46 AM
If you lose it, get an old Wilton bullet style. Built to last 1000 years. The only thing that could kill it is rust.

And maybe not even that

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U2jNeObHnZY

LittleLebowski
10-30-2019, 11:00 AM

Those things are pricey nowadays. I’m gonna get the Craftsman.

OlongJohnson
10-30-2019, 11:08 AM
Even with Wilton, only buy made in USA. Stay the hell away from this series. It's China junk, and Wilton doesn't have most of the parts for it available. Don't make me write out the details.
https://www.wiltontools.com/us/en/p/cbv-100-super-junior-4-vise-with-clamp-on-swivel-base/63247

These are f'ing nice, according to the machinist forums. They sure look it. Might even be made in Germany. The Yost that looks kinda like it is a China junk imitation of it.
https://www.ridgid.com/us/en/vises

Some other German tool companies still make really, really nice bench vises. If you are traveling in the EU and see a garage sale...

I also have a Panavise for small stuff. Went on fleabay and found an old one that was made in Long Beach, CA. Waaay nicer than the new stuff you can buy, and cost me less, too. Totally worth it.

It's not a terrible idea to buy the tools of the men from the Greatest Generation as they sail off into the next great unknown.

Seven_Sicks_Two
10-30-2019, 11:30 AM
Crossing my fingers that it’s still available. USA made, 4”, $40. These are good, right?

That's awesome. I've spent the last couple of years casually looking for an older, high-quality vise. No luck yet, but my wife seems to appreciate stopping at every garage sale we drive past.

Lex Luthier
10-30-2019, 12:30 PM
Old tools, the craftsman's friend. Buy the best you can, just like firearms. Many US, British, and German tools were as good as they could be, and are nearly immortal when cared for.

I routinely use a (sadly abused by grandad, who should have known better) Stanley 1/2" socket chisel that was my great grandfather's. While in school, my lutherie mentor picked up a pre-1900 1/2" Buck Brothers chisel from a farmer's estate sale that has been her mainstay since 1982.
She also has a cast iron 14" bandsaw that was converted from overhead leather belt drive to electric motor in the 1930s. Came from a garage sale at a former Seattle boat yard. Weighs a ton and is as smooth a cutter as can be had. Bearings are easy to change.

Little Lebowski, you might be able to look up the Craftsman Vice by it's Sears part number and see when it was made.
Surprisingly, I was able to order parts for a 1949 Whirlpool-built Kenmore electric stove through them a decade or so back.

Eric_L
10-30-2019, 04:46 PM

USELESS POST WITHOUT A PICTURE! 😎

LittleLebowski
10-30-2019, 05:33 PM
USELESS POST WITHOUT A PICTURE! 😎

Due to the hours of availability by the owner, I was not able to pick it up today.

Yung
10-30-2019, 05:38 PM
Buying American fabricated and assembled tools, workwear, and equipment is definitely pretty hard nowadays.

It always makes me feel good to look at a wrench in my hand and see the letters "USA" on it.

rayrevolver
10-30-2019, 09:51 PM
I have the high dollar Ridgid F series. I *think* it's made in Spain (or Turkey) and not Germany. I could be wrong though. The Jaws are not quite square but are adjustable and maybe I need to read the manual again. Just looked, is an F-45 and I paid $210 shipped.

I tried hard to buy an old Wilton/US made vise but it was just too hard and I would have to drive to Pennsylvania it seems. The local pawn shops had nothing.

I was given an older Chinese Great Neck that is ok.

An old timer at work has an old vise and said he would sell it to me. Once I get it I can see what's what. Probably sell it on here first if folks are still looking. I really don't need 3 vises.