PDA

View Full Version : Does It Matter Which Gun I Use For Dry Fire

Cypher
10-27-2019, 11:13 PM
I'm a firm believer in minimizing unnecessary administrative handling of loaded firearms.

I'm uncomfortable unloading and loading my Glock daily for dry fire practice.

My M&P is normally unloaded and stored in my safe.

Is it going to make any appreciable difference if I use the gun I don't have to load and unload everytime I practice with it.

As a side question I also have a Third Generation S&W where I'd be practicing with a DA trigger that also is normally unloaded. Would that be a better choice?

ETA: I also have a training gun from a lazer trainer it has Glock sights and the trigger simulates a Glock trigger but the grip is smaller.

What about that?

CZ Man
10-27-2019, 11:15 PM
The trigger pull will be different. Probably your sights too I would imagine.

Duelist
10-28-2019, 12:42 AM
Duplicate your carry gun. Get a cheap used G27, and that’s your dry fire gun. Buy a 9mm conversion barrel and sights identical to what’s on your G26 for it in a couple of months, now it’s your training gun for both dry fire and live fire. Carry the G26 and shoot it a couple times a year.

Any dry fire beats none, though.

Cypher
10-28-2019, 01:12 AM
This is the training gun FWIW.

https://i.postimg.cc/jd9j1Jvk/20191027-233539.jpg (https://postimg.cc/PPWhpJgm)

Cypher
10-28-2019, 01:19 AM
Duplicate your carry gun. Get a cheap used G27, and that’s your dry fire gun. Buy a 9mm conversion barrel and sights identical to what’s on your G26 for it in a couple of months, now it’s your training gun for both dry fire and live fire. Carry the G26 and shoot it a couple times a year.

Any dry fire beats none, though.

Unfortunately that's not an option at this point

Cypher
10-28-2019, 01:29 AM
Currently I am guarding an abandoned warehouse. So I drew a circle on the wall in the women's bathroom about the size of a silver dollar. And I go in there once or twice a night and lock the door behind me in practice this drill.

https://youtu.be/WS7dgN8iu6Y

I'm thinking about using the training gun to do that with because that's the simplest solution.

Cory
10-28-2019, 06:14 AM
That sounds like a terrible place and time to dryfire.

You need a dedicated place, not at work, not in public. You need a time that you can seriously dedicate 15 minutes or so of focus, everyday.

If you make a mistake and have an ND, where is that round headed? And in your case if you're caught dryfiring what are the repercussions?

I dryfire in an area of my home that loose ammo doesn't go, and loaded weapons aren't unholstered. I normally use a blue gun with no trigger press possible. When I need a trigger for whatever reason I use a live weapon, triple checked to be clear. I use a direction of my house that is a concrete wall. I start by saying "I am begining dryfire" out loud. And I end with "I am done dryfiring" out loud. That helps prevent me from restarting dryfire after changing to a loaded gun.

In my old house, guns were all in one room. No live ammo ever entered that room and I used it for dryfire and cleaning weapons. All loaded firearms and ammo were kept elsewhere. I'm working to get back to "sanitary area" like this in addition to my current safety mechanisms.

Sell that laser pointer, and get a blue gun. Then dryfire at home. Use a real weapon only when pressing a ttigger is needed. A ton of Ben Stoeger drills don't really require a trigger press.

-Cory

spinmove_
10-28-2019, 06:55 AM
I agree with Cory for the most part. You shouldn’t be doing JUST that drill, you shouldn’t be doing it with that laser gun, and you shouldn’t be doing it at work.

Get either Ben Stoeger or Steve Anderson’s dryfire books. They’ll give you a ton of stuff to work on besides simply pressing the trigger. Get a blue gun, but you should REALLY have a copy of what you carry for work so that you can get some proper practice in. Even a SIRT pistol is a much better alternative than your current laser gun. Finally, do it at home in a safe place and do it properly.

Cypher
10-28-2019, 07:22 AM
You need a dedicated place, not at work, not in public. You need a time that you can seriously dedicate 15 minutes or so of focus, everyday.

I'm not in public. I'm in a locked room in an empty and abandoned warehouse. In the middle of an empty parking lot behind a locked 9 ft fence that's topped with barbed wire. At 3 a.m. in the morning. There is literally no one here but me.

If you make a mistake and have an ND, where is that round headed? And in your case if you're caught dryfiring what are the repercussions?

I can't fathom the kind of mistake that would allow me to have a negligent discharge using a plastic gun that doesn't even have a chamber or a barrel in it.

Again, I'm the only one on this site. I'm also the only one with the key to the front gate. The bathroom door is locked. No one's walking in on me. Even if the Boss shows up and calls me because that's the only way he's getting in all I have to do is put everything away and go let him in and tell him I was in the bathroom

spinmove_
10-28-2019, 07:31 AM
I'm not in public. I'm in a locked room in an empty and abandoned warehouse. In the middle of an empty parking lot behind a locked 9 ft fence that's topped with barbed wire. At 3 a.m. in the morning. There is literally no one here but me.

I can't fathom the kind of mistake that would allow me to have a negligent discharge using a plastic gun that doesn't even have a chamber or a barrel in it.

Again, I'm the only one on this site. I'm also the only one with the key to the front gate. The bathroom door is locked. No one's walking in on me. Even if the Boss shows up and calls me because that's the only way he's getting in all I have to do is put everything away and go let him in and tell him I was in the bathroom

Then why are you an armed guard there?

Cypher
10-28-2019, 07:44 AM
Then why are you an armed guard there?

First of all I'm not an armed guard and I never said I was.

Second, because the client is willing to pay for it.

I'm here keep squatters out

Cory
10-28-2019, 08:59 AM

While not in public, you're still at work. I feel that is unwise. You're response to getting caught is essentially "How can I get caught, that's impossible, and I would lie about using the restroom." That just goes to show that it is a wrong way to do this.

Your initial post was largely about using an actual firearm, with small mention of the laser trainer. You were discussing dryfire with a real firearm, and I responded addressing that. Having an ND isn't impossible with a real gun. Your laser gun is not a good training tool in my opinion.

If you're bored at work I would suggest checking out some books on defense that you can learn from. There are many.

-Cory

HCM
10-28-2019, 11:41 AM
Unfortunately that's not an option at this point

Could you add the Apex polymer trigger to the M&P. That would make it more like a Glock.

nwhpfan
10-28-2019, 02:46 PM
Yes it matters, but something is better than nothing.

My own experience I used to compete with an M&P when I was introduced to GSSF. I found it challenging to go from one gun to the next and compete at the higher levels. Initially I would cease all dry fire with the M&P for at least a week prior to a GSSF match and only practice with a Glock. Ultimately I decided to go all Glock for continuity.

*Personally, I'd suggest training with the other real gun vs. the laser trainer. But the laser trainer is better than nothing.

Cypher
10-28-2019, 03:06 PM
*Personally, I'd suggest training with the other real gun vs. the laser trainer. But the laser trainer is better than nothing.

I don't use the laser part of the laser trainer because someone here told me using the laser makes you focus on the laser instead of the sights.

I almost never carry my Glock 19. Maybe I should unload it and use it.

Could you add the Apex polymer trigger to the M&P. That would make it more like a Glock.

Money is tight. Any solution that involves spending extra money is probably not going to be an option

Duelist
10-28-2019, 03:11 PM
I don't use the laser part of the laser trainer because someone here told me using the laser makes you focus on the laser instead of the sights.

I almost never carry my Glock 19. Maybe I should unload it and use it.

Money is tight. Any solution that involves spending extra money is probably not going to be an option

Oh, you have a 19. I thought you had just the 26 and the M&P. Yeah, use the 19 to dry fire.

Maybe dump the M&P and the laser gun and get that cheap used 27. Or a case or two of 9mm.

Cypher
10-28-2019, 03:30 PM
Oh, you have a 19. I thought you had just the 26 and the M&P. Yeah, use the 19 to dry fire.

Maybe dump the M&P and the laser gun and get that cheap used 27. Or a case or two of 9mm.

If I got 5 bucks for the laser gun I'd be amazed. I've actually tried to sell the M&P and no one is interested because it's a 1.0.

I don't know if you saw the thread I started about stressing out when I shoot but I think I have a classic case of Now syndrome and that's what I'm trying to overcome.

Duke
10-28-2019, 03:41 PM
If the urge to dry fire is so strong that we need to do it with the gun we’re carrying, while we’re carrying it - might I suggest doing some push ups instead....

Duelist
10-28-2019, 03:46 PM
If I got 5 bucks for the laser gun I'd be amazed. I've actually tried to sell the M&P and no one is interested because it's a 1.0.

I don't know if you saw the thread I started about stressing out when I shoot but I think I have a classic case of Now syndrome and that's what I'm trying to overcome.

Yeah, I did see that. And I understand about the 1.0 valuation. Kinda sucks.

spinmove_
10-28-2019, 04:01 PM
First of all I'm not an armed guard and I never said I was.

Second, because the client is willing to pay for it.

I'm here keep squatters out

Ah, my mistake. I guess I just assumed and that’s on me, I’m sorry.

In that case I definitely wouldn’t recommend what you're doing at work then. Compared to what you can do for 15 minutes at home with well structured and proper dryfire, what you’re currently doing is simply not worth it or all that valuable.

I’d suggest you start saving up for a spare used sample of what you currently have. You don’t have to save a ton at a time and you don’t have to buy it like next month or anything, but I’m sure you can probably squirrel away like $50 a month or something and be able to get a spare in a few months or more. AIM has police trade-in G19s come up on the regular for around $360. G23s for less than that which can be converted to a G19 essentially for not a lot of cost.

Cypher
10-28-2019, 04:19 PM
If the urge to dry fire is strong that we need to do with the gun we’re carrying, while we’re carrying it - might I suggest doing some push ups instead....

I agree with your comment but I don't see how it applies. My carry gun is loaded all the time unless I'm cleaning it. There isn't a time when I unload it and store it for any length of time.

Caballoflaco
10-28-2019, 04:33 PM
If you want to dry fire at work; do it through visualization. Do your actual dry-fire drills at home.

Then if you have a minute to burn at work, and are in a location where you don’t need all of your situational awareness do this. Think back on your dry-fire reps and live-fire reps that were good. Now imagine yourself doing it in excruciating detail, step by step. Really focus on all thi little details, like what it felt like to get a good grip. How your arm muscles felt when they began the draw. Where your arms were when you could pick up the front site. Remember what your optimal grip feels like and replicate it in your mind. Same with squeezing the trigger. Get as detailed as you can for each step. If your doing it right it’s almost as mentally tiring as the real thing.

Sport psychologists will tell you that your mind doesn’t differentiate well betwen what you imagine and what you actually do, and most high level athletes do similar sport specific mental drills.

I personally do similar drills for shooting, archery and motorcycles, and have found it’s a good way to build and maintain technical skills when you have some downtime, but can’t actually shoot.

Duke
10-28-2019, 04:39 PM
I agree with your comment but I don't see how it applies. My carry gun is loaded all the time unless I'm cleaning it. There isn't a time when I unload it and store it for any length of time.

So you’re saying you carry an additional unloaded gun with you for the sake of dry fire ?

I didn’t mean to be rude I just missed that part.

In my opinion dry fire is dry fire. Whether or not it’s exactly like your carry gun isn’t that pertinent.

Would I do it anywhere except home with nothing but baren earth as my backdrop, no. Not at all

Cypher
10-28-2019, 05:01 PM
So you’re saying you carry an additional unloaded gun with you for the sake of dry fire ?

I didn’t mean to be rude I just missed that part.

In my opinion dry fire is dry fire. Whether or not it’s exactly like your carry gun isn’t that pertinent.

Would I do it anywhere except home with nothing but baren earth as my backdrop, no. Not at all

I think we're miscommunicating.

My original question was does it matter which gun I use for dry fire. I didn't specify but I meant at home.

The "gun" that I've been practicing with at work is a plastic trainer but since everyone seems to be in agreement that that's a really bad idea I'm going to stop doing it.

All that said, what do people do that have more than one kind of gun? Dry fire fire with them all?

Cypher
10-28-2019, 05:03 PM
What about getting a blue gun Glock and using it to practice the sight alignment part of the drill in the video?

Cory
10-28-2019, 08:07 PM
What about getting a blue gun Glock and using it to practice the sight alignment part of the drill in the video?

I think that's very beneficial for me. I'm using a blue beretta with inperfect sights but I get to still really work the fundamentals.

While switching to Berettas, I was carrying my Glock and dry firing an empty Beretta. While time entirely on one action type (and model) is ideal, plenty of benefits can be gained practicing on a different action type. 90% of the benefit for me is grip, stance, and moving my eyes. The trigger press is important... but a solid grip can mask alot of shoddy trigger work. A real gun can work on that, and should occassionally.

Blue gun < Different action type < Same action type < Same model

-Cory

Joe in PNG
10-28-2019, 08:11 PM
When I was mostly toting and shooting my Berettas, it was easy- my 92D got a Laserlyte training cartridge, and that was the dry fire gun.

With a 1911, I don't really know what I should do. Should I use the 1911, and possibly pick up a training scar from repeatedly thumbing back the hammer? Should I go with the DAO 92D?

beenalongtime
10-29-2019, 09:05 AM
I think we're miscommunicating.

All that said, what do people do that have more than one kind of gun? Dry fire fire with them all?

Why I like Laser Ammo trainers. They have an extension with an orange tip. My range gun, when it comes home, empty from the range, when I get home will get a laser into it and an aid to keep the slide stop from working. Range gun is the same as carry, only more shots.
Other guns, will only be fired, or dry fired, on occasion (basically to keep burnout from happening, or function check/point safe direction). Focusing on the fundamentals with the carry gun, still roles over with benefits on the others. I prefer a blue gun for holster work/practice.

Clusterfrack
10-29-2019, 12:36 PM

It depends on what you are trying to achieve with dryfire. I've dry fired transitions and shooting on the move with a pen in a hotel room.

If you're working on trigger control (e.g. trigger presses at speed without moving the sights), you might want to dryfire with a heavier trigger than on your regular gun.

If you're working on draws and reloads, than the gun and holster you use matters a lot.

During my daily dryfire, I typically do some draws and a few drills with my spare carry gun (CZ P-07). Then I put on my competition rig and use my practice gun fr whatever I'm working on.

When I carried a Glock 20 last summer in Alaska, I did regular dryfire to get used to the draw and trigger press for that gun.

I do not find laser trainers, SERTs, and the like to be very helpful.

Cypher
10-29-2019, 07:42 PM
It depends on what you are trying to achieve with dryfire. I've dry fired transitions and shooting on the move with a pen in a hotel room.

If you're working on trigger control (e.g. trigger presses at speed without moving the sights), you might want to dryfire with a heavier trigger than on your regular gun.

If you're working on draws and reloads, than the gun and holster you use matters a lot.

During my daily dryfire, I typically do some draws and a few drills with my spare carry gun (CZ P-07). Then I put on my competition rig and use my practice gun fr whatever I'm working on.

When I carried a Glock 20 last summer in Alaska, I did regular dryfire to get used to the draw and trigger press for that gun.

I do not find laser trainers, SERTs, and the like to be very helpful.

My first reason is because everyone here says it will make me a better shooter.

I'm also trying to overcome "NOW!!!!!!!" syndrome.

I noticed a couple of times that I was so stressed out I didn't even see the sights I'm trying to train myself to intentionally look at the sights

This isn't dry fire but I used to walk around substations in the middle of the night practicing my 4 point draw from my Safariland holster. I also used to go to a training building out in the middle of nowhere on one site and lay my jacket on a table for padding and practice magazine changes over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over again until I could do it in my sleep. I never tried to do it fast I just tried to do it right. I'm a big believer in practicing like that to build muscle memory.

spinmove_
10-29-2019, 08:38 PM
My first reason is because everyone here says it will make me a better shooter.

I'm also trying to overcome "NOW!!!!!!!" syndrome.

I noticed a couple of times that I was so stressed out I didn't even see the sights I'm trying to train myself to intentionally look at the sights

This isn't dry fire but I used to walk around substations in the middle of the night practicing my 4 point draw from my Safariland holster. I also used to go to a training building out in the middle of nowhere on one site and lay my jacket on a table for padding and practice magazine changes over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over again until I could do it in my sleep. I never tried to do it fast I just tried to do it right. I'm a big believer in practicing like that to build muscle memory.

It sounds like you don’t live fire enough. How often do you get to the range and how many rounds do you fire when you do go?

Clusterfrack
10-30-2019, 10:02 AM
Cypher,

Here's my advice:

1. There is a time and place for dryfire, and a time and place for carrying loaded weapons. It is critically important to keep these separate in your mind, and (typically) separate in location. Avoid any possible confusion over the two modes. As well, it is possible that people can show up in places you assume are "safe". I know I guy who was camping in the middle of nowhere, and assumed he was alone. He was practicing his draw with a loaded gun, and guess what? Somedude walked up just as he drew. Fortunately no one was shot.

2. Seeing the sights is a good dryfire goal. Set up some targets, and do draws and transitions. Do not press the trigger. Just see the sights stabilize on target. Explore what it takes to get an acceptable sight picture that stops right on target, smoothly. You can do this with a blue gun, but the weight of the gun matters.

Cypher
10-30-2019, 10:26 AM
Cypher,

Here's my advice:

1. There is a time and place for dryfire, and a time and place for carrying loaded weapons. It is critically important to keep these separate in your mind, and (typically) separate in location. Avoid any possible confusion over the two modes. As well, it is possible that people can show up in places you assume are "safe". I know I guy who was camping in the middle of nowhere, and assumed he was alone. He was practicing his draw with a loaded gun, and guess what? Somedude walked up just as he drew. Fortunately no one was shot.

2. Seeing the sights is a good dryfire goal. Set up some targets, and do draws and transitions. Do not press the trigger. Just see the sights stabilize on target. Explore what it takes to get an acceptable sight picture that stops right on target, smoothly. You can do this with a blue gun, but the weight of the gun matters.

Thank you.

I appreciate your input.

CraigS
11-01-2019, 12:45 PM
Cypher,,,,
I have been checking this thread but could have missed this if someone already typed it. I was thinking about the above- draw and get sights on target -and I think this may be where switching guns could cause a problem. Especially if one is a Glock and the other isn't because of the quite different grip angle. IE, if you can draw and naturally get the sights lined up perfectly w/ an M&P, when you try it w/ the Glock, it will be aiming high.

Clusterfrack
11-01-2019, 02:31 PM
I have been checking this thread but could have missed this if someone already typed it. I was thinking about the above- draw and get sights on target -and I think this may be where switching guns could cause a problem. Especially if one is a Glock and the other isn't because of the quite different grip angle. IE, if you can draw and naturally get the sights lined up perfectly w/ an M&P, when you try it w/ the Glock, it will be aiming high.

That's a great point. Many people have difficulty with their index when they switch between guns with different grip angles. I actually don't have this problem, but I am not sure I can explain why. One thing may be the role of the support hand in indexing the gun. That hand is less affected by grip angle, so I think that helps me maintain a good index with Glocks, CZs, and various other guns. But of course that won't help with SHO/WHO shooting.

I agree that it's probably best to dryfire with the same make/model of gun that you carry.

Cypher
11-01-2019, 04:27 PM
That's a great point. Many people have difficulty with their index when they switch between guns with different grip angles. I actually don't have this problem, but I am not sure I can explain why. One thing may be the role of the support hand in indexing the gun. That hand is less affected by grip angle, so I think that helps me maintain a good index with Glocks, CZs, and various other guns. But of course that won't help with SHO/WHO shooting.

I agree that it's probably best to dryfire with the same make/model of gun that you carry.

I'm not sure if this is the same thing but I noticed that when I used the lazed gun it shifted in my grip and I consistently ended up aimed just to the left of my target. I tried it with my Glock and I didn't have that issue.

Clusterfrack
11-01-2019, 04:37 PM
I'm not sure if this is the same thing but I noticed that when I used the lazed gun it shifted in my grip and I consistently ended up aimed just to the left of my target. I tried it with my Glock and I didn't have that issue.

Good job noticing that. Grip shape, thickness, and even texture, can change your NPA (natural point of aim).

Did the gun squirm in your grip as you clamped? Or is it just a different shape?

I think the goal isn’t to achieve perfect alignment 100% of the time. No one can do that. But as you’re discovering, with practice you can notice all sorts of small things that affect your index, and your shooting in general.

Cypher
11-01-2019, 10:34 PM
Good job noticing that. Grip shape, thickness, and even texture, can change your NPA (natural point of aim).

Did the gun squirm in your grip as you clamped? Or is it just a different shape?

I think the goal isn’t to achieve perfect alignment 100% of the time. No one can do that. But as you’re discovering, with practice you can notice all sorts of small things that affect your index, and your shooting in general.

I didn't notice the LG shifting in my hand (that's not to say it didn't) but the grip is like grabbing a broom handle (O'Cedar not Mauser). I think that if I continued to practice with that I would develop bad habits trying to adjust to that grip.

I'm still not comfortable loading and unloading my gun every day so I think I'm going to unload my 19 and leave it that way for practice.

Cypher
11-02-2019, 12:45 AM
I want to clarify my meaning when I say I'm not comfortable unloading my gun and loading it everyday. I am a very firm believer that unnecessary administrative handling leads to negligent discharges. I also think it's hard on the ammunition.

So while I am completely comfortable with the mechanics of loading and unloading my gun everyday, I don't think it's a good idea.

UNM1136
11-02-2019, 06:00 AM
I want to clarify my meaning when I say I'm not comfortable unloading my gun and loading it everyday. I am a very firm believer that unnecessary administrative handling leads to negligent discharges. I also think it's hard on the ammunition.

So while I am completely comfortable with the mechanics of loading and unloading my gun everyday, I don't think it's a good idea.

I share your concern here...But without an Identical training piece, there isn't really a way around it. That is why dry fire protocols (to include dropping the chambered round out of the carry rotation) are sooooo important. If you can't swing a second gun, I would look at increasing your carry ammo budget by a box a every other month (which can equate to a box more practice with carry ammo every other month . A decade ago I decided bulk purchases of carry and training ammo were my friends) and using a Blade-Tech training barrel. Lasers also have a place here...In a perfect world I would have two identical guns, one that got the Blade-Tech barrel and was used for dry fire practice and later live fire training with training ammo and stock barrel. The second gun would be the carry piece, with a box of carry ammo run through it every other month.

I am also a believer that unnecessary adminstrative handling is bad....but dry fire training is not unnecessary, it is vital, so allowances need to be made.

Just my opinion, and probably worth about what you paid for it...

pat

Cypher
11-02-2019, 06:07 AM
.In a perfect world I would have two identical guns, one that got the Blade-Tech barrel and was used for dry fire practice and later live fire training with training ammo and stock barrel. The second gun would be the carry piece, with a box of carry ammo run through it every other month.

pat

Why a real gun with a training barrel instead of a SIRT?

UNM1136
11-02-2019, 06:24 AM

I nave a SIRT, that I have tried to use with remedial shooters. I don't have the time or patience to dial in SIRT for each shooter until they think it is identical. In an ideal world, the correct answer is an identical, but non-funtional gun. There is a recent thread about how the SIRT is not as great as it is billed. I love my SIRT, but they will create training scars just like any other tool that is improperly or overly used. Several of my problem shooters hate it. The real gun approach allows some practical, consistent modification. Like Lasergrips? Flat triggers? Smooth triggers? Specific aftermarket sights? Slide stops? The two real guns and the training barrel can have all the same accessories, doodads, and gimmics; whether they help you, or you think they help you.

Also, the real gun will allow huge amounts of training ammo through it allowing the wear to occur on the training piece rather than the carry piece. When you finish live fire at the range your carry piece, loaded and ready to rock goes into your carry holster, while your empty, unloaded and locked back training piece gets disassembled and the training barrel dropped in for your next week or month or whatever of dry practice. The training piece is easily identifiable visually and tactilely for dry practice, and until the next time you go to the range with training ammo the gun CANNOT be loaded before you get on the line, disassemble and reassemble it. Administrative manipulations of a live weapon are greatly reduced.

Just some musing, and if I had the coin that is how I would do things.

pat

Cypher
11-02-2019, 06:30 AM
I nave a SIRT, that I have tried to use with remedial shooters. I don't have the time or patience to dial in SIRT for each shooter until they think it is identical. In an ideal world, the correct answer is an identical, but non-funtional gun. There is a recent thread about how the SIRT is not as great as it is billed. I love my SIRT, but they will create training scars just like any other tool that is improperly or overly used. Several of my problem shooters hate it.

Also, the real gun will allow huge amounts of training ammo through it allowing the wear to occur on the training piece rather than the carry piece. When you finish live fire at the range your carry piece, loaded and ready to rock goes into your carry holster, while your empty, unloaded and locked back training piece gets disassembled and the training barrel dropped in for your next week or month or whatever of dry practice. The training piece is easily identifiable visually and tactilely for dry practice, and until the next time you go to the range with training ammo the gun CANNOT be loaded before you get on the line, disassemble and reassemble it. Administrative manipulations of a live weapon are greatly reduced.

Just some musing, and if I had the coin that is how I would do things.

pat

That makes sense.

For where I'm at right now I think the most logical solution is to turn my Glock 19 into a training gun. I only carry it once or twice a week at most and I can carry my 26 at those times.

MistWolf
11-02-2019, 07:31 AM
...With a 1911, I don't really know what I should do. Should I use the 1911, and possibly pick up a training scar from repeatedly thumbing back the hammer?
Rack the slide.

Clobbersaurus
11-02-2019, 11:24 AM
I like to have two very similar guns, one to keep for competition and one to put practice abuse on.

When I shot my Elite II Beretta in competition I had a Girsan 92 clone as my practice gun.

When I switched to a Gen 5 Glock 17, I had a Gen 2 G17 as a practice gun.

I’ve now bought a brand new Gen 5 G17 which I will set up exactly like my old Gen 5. The new gun, one I prove it reliable, will be my competition gun and my old Gen 5 will be the practice mule. I’ll set it up to have a slightly heavier trigger than my competition gun. I think this is the best possible system to use for training.

Clusterfrack
11-02-2019, 12:26 PM

I find a laser / SIRT type system to be counterproductive for most dryfire training.

You want to learn to focus on the sights, and to see if they are stable by looking at them, not the laser spot on the target.

You want to learn to call your dryfire "shots" by seeing where the sights were and how they were aligned when the gun went click. You do not want to train yourself to look for holes or laser spots on the target.

Cypher
11-02-2019, 03:54 PM
I find a laser / SIRT type system to be counterproductive for most dryfire training.

You want to learn to focus on the sights, and to see if they are stable by looking at them, not the laser spot on the target.

You want to learn to call your dryfire "shots" by seeing where the sights were and how they were aligned when the gun went click. You do not want to train yourself to look for holes or laser spots on the target.

I've only ever seen a SIRT once, I keep forgetting it has a laser on it