PDA

View Full Version : 226 Spare's Bin

WDW
04-19-2012, 06:12 PM
What should my spare parts bin consists of with a 9mm 226? Any common wear/breakages, such as locking blocks w/92's.

JV_
04-19-2012, 06:37 PM
Takedown lever and a spring kit

-Sent using Tapatalk

Joe Mamma
04-19-2012, 08:11 PM
Do you have an older style stamped steel slide or newer style solid slide?

Joe Mamma

DonovanM
04-19-2012, 10:42 PM
What JV said... The only parts I ever broke on either of my P226's were a decocking lever spring and a hammer return spring. Unfortunately the decocking lever spring bricked my gun until I could take the lever out.

ToddG
04-19-2012, 10:50 PM
Recoil spring
Trigger return spring
Decocker spring
Hammer rebound spring
Slide catch spring

Depending on the vintage, the takedown lever -- there have been a variety of problems with the takedown levers on some SIGs manufactured within the past five years or so.

If it's an older stamped 2-piece slide version, definitely the slide roll pins. If it's a newer machined 1-piece slide, then the firing pin retaining pin is good to have lying around but rarely a part that breaks.

Grip screws and washers (unless it's using the new "E2" style grips obviously).

WDW
04-20-2012, 05:27 AM
Do you have an older style stamped steel slide or newer style solid slide?

Joe Mamma

It's a newer E2 gun. I'm approaching 5,000 rds. & about to swap recoil springs.

Joe Mamma
04-20-2012, 06:51 AM
Recoil spring
Trigger return spring
Decocker spring
Hammer rebound spring
Slide catch spring

Depending on the vintage, the takedown lever -- there have been a variety of problems with the takedown levers on some SIGs manufactured within the past five years or so.

If it's an older stamped 2-piece slide version, definitely the slide roll pins. If it's a newer machined 1-piece slide, then the firing pin retaining pin is good to have lying around but rarely a part that breaks.

Grip screws and washers (unless it's using the new "E2" style grips obviously).

This is a very good list with good information.

I would just add that if it is a solid slide with a *solid* firing pin retaining pin, I would think twice before trying to remove it. A lot of those are very difficult to remove, and you may end up damaging the gun trying to remove it. If I ever suspected an internal slide problem, I'd send it to the factory.

Some of the newer solid slide P226 guns have hollow firing pin retaining pins. Those are supposed to be easier to remove than the solid pins. As ToddG says, I'd have an extra as a spare. But I wouldn't mess with it unless I had problems.

Joe Mamma

JV_
04-20-2012, 08:14 AM
Takedown lever and a spring kit

Here's a link to the spring kit.
http://www.topgunsupply.com/sig_p226-9mm_parts-kit.html

It has almost everything ToddG mentioned, it is missing the hammer rebound spring.

WDW
04-20-2012, 08:42 AM
Sweet! Thanks guys.

ToddG
04-20-2012, 09:03 AM
It has almost everything ToddG mentioned, it is missing the hammer rebound spring.

Which amazes me, because I've broken more rebound springs than trigger springs and decocker springs combined. And when the rebound spring breaks, it will frequently disable the gun completely.

John Hearne
04-20-2012, 11:29 AM
If it's a newer machined 1-piece slide, then the firing pin retaining pin is good to have lying around but rarely a part that breaks.

Unless you're dry firing the snot out of the pistol without protection. They break, trust me.

NEPAKevin
04-20-2012, 11:54 AM
Unless you're dry firing the snot out of the pistol without protection. They break, trust me.

Mind did not break but intermittently interfered with the firing pin operation. FWIW, the punch set the Top Gun sells works great so long as you use it in the right way. I was telling a friend about fixing the problem with my gun and he told me how he did not RTM and tried to punch the pin in the wrong direction... No Joy.