PDA

View Full Version : Keltec P17

LittleLebowski
10-23-2019, 08:20 PM
https://www.keltecweapons.com/firearms/pistols/p17/

TicTacticalTimmy
10-23-2019, 09:26 PM
I feel like they should price it $50 higher and pay someone to do an hours worth of QC.

Duelist
10-24-2019, 12:40 AM
Dang. They might actually get me to buy another KelTec.

Joe in PNG
10-24-2019, 12:43 AM
Buying a Kel-Tec is a bit like dating a stripper. You know that she's unreliable and full of plastic, but she sure does look good.

JRB
10-24-2019, 01:48 AM
I've been pleased with my RDB, and considering how none of the other makes can figure out how to make a compact .22LR pistol that holds more than 10 rounds, I'll be buying one of these, too.

mtnbkr
10-24-2019, 08:21 AM
$199.99 MSRP means a street price well under $200. I Depending on how it shoots and the final price, I could be tempted to buy one as a beater. Apparently it has a threaded barrel, but it also appears it will need some sort of adapter. Not crazy about that...

An RDS capability would be nice too.

Chris

Totem Polar
10-24-2019, 09:46 AM
Interesting

TheNewbie
10-24-2019, 08:12 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q3cxY8YgHOk

AdioSS
10-24-2019, 09:49 PM
I’m a Keltec fan. My first pistol was a P-11, my first AR-mag 5.56 gun was a PLR-16, & I often pack my Sub2000 when I travel. I’m wanting to like this gun, but after seeing if compared to the new Taurus, I’d go with the Taurus.

farscott
10-25-2019, 05:10 AM
I love .22 rifles and pistols and have enough that some rarely come out of the safe. I even have conversion kit setups for pistols I do not shoot in the centerfire round, such as an Advantage Arms conversion with factory Glock night sights for a Springfield XDM (which BTW is extremely reliable). I tried the USFA ZIP 22. I have more than a dozen Ruger Standard-pattern pistols, everything from 1951 RST-6 to Volquartsen Scorpions to Clark Custom bullseye guns. I shoot .22 every week. So I am a pretty easy sell for .22 pistols. Enough that the LGS sets "interesting rimfires" aside for me.

My concern with Kel-Tec .22 handgun designs, besides the reliability, is the durability of the all-plastic magazines. That goes back to the old twelve-round Ramline magazines for the Ruger Standard and Mark II. Needless to say, those magazines fed until the feed lips wore a bit from passing lead and brass. Then the magazines would release the top round due to the spring pushing the round through the compromised feed lips. Being plastic, the feed lips are not really amenable to squeezing like a steel magazine. So they are scrap. I have also seen the same issue with some of the Advantage Arms conversion kit magazines, but those magazines typically go several (>5) thousand rounds before the issue occurs. At $25 per magazine, the cost of a few replacements is palatable.

There are ways around that, and Kel-Tec appears to have gone with a more abrasion resistant plastic -- at the cost of being more brittle. I much would have preferred a steel insert for the feed lips as that method is well proven (see the Ruger rotary magazine for the 10/22 as well as Glock magazines). I almost bought a CP33 as the idea of having a .22 LR being able to shoot three Ruger Standard magazines full of ammo before needing a reload while providing impromptu match accuracy is very, very appealing. But I could not get past the all-plastic magazines, especially at $50 each and being difficult to load.

The number of soft primer strikes and failures to eject in the TFB video is extremely disheartening. I believe the reviewer used too much lube, as rimfire pistols need very little to function and too much can create weak primer strikes and a nasty carbon/brass/lead slurry that causes issues. But that pistol was no fun to shoot. Scary that a Taurus did better. The construction of the P17 was disappointing compared to the Ruger Wrangler, which is the champion of the low-cost .22 plinker.

Hambo
10-25-2019, 05:34 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q3cxY8YgHOk

So it's a five shot pistol with twelve rounds available for malfunction drills. I'm out.

Blades
10-25-2019, 06:15 PM
So does anyone have the Taurus TX22 and can comment on it?

Joe in PNG
10-27-2019, 10:28 PM
Why do I get the feeling that Bubba's going to try and load one up with .22 Mag, and won't stop until he gets one stuck in it somehow?

AdioSS
10-29-2019, 01:55 AM
Why do I get the feeling that Bubba's going to try and load one up with .22 Mag, and won't stop until he gets one stuck in it somehow?

.22 Mag is a LOT longer than .22lr. Doubt they’ll fit ;)

LockedBreech
10-29-2019, 02:07 AM
Wow. I can't say the TFB reviewer didn't give it a fair shake. That looked miserable.

Old Virginia
10-29-2019, 10:27 AM
Wow. I can't say the TFB reviewer didn't give it a fair shake. That looked miserable.

I want one, sure will not go by this guys video. Never had a Keltec before, but then bought a P32 and as a person that loves Pocket guns, I was impressed. No Not a Pico quality build, but totally reliable and at a crazy 10oz. fully loaded. And also interested now in the PF9 at 12 ounces. I know a few guys at my club that speak very highly of them. And Parts or very inexpensive. I am never impressed one way or the other by internet video's. I will let the gun come out and try one out at the range for myself and I will be the one to determine how well they shoot.
Funny, but I own a Phoenix HPA 22.cal, paid $85.00 for it about 10 years and it turned out to be more reliable and fun to shoot than guns I have costing 4 times as much. Actually now have two of them. I use them to train for small barrel pistols. Nice trigger, sights etc.

http://i.imgur.com/RzYOtua.jpg?1 (https://imgur.com/RzYOtua) https://i.imgur.com/Zf6QDKI.jpg?2

HopetonBrown
10-29-2019, 12:23 PM
bought a P32... totally reliable

I own a Phoenix HPA 22.cal... turned out to be more reliable and fun to shoot

I hope you are playing your state's powerball every week.

Joe in PNG
10-29-2019, 03:11 PM
.22 Mag is a LOT longer than .22lr. Doubt they’ll fit ;)

It's Bubba. He's good at putting things where they're not supposed to go.
He'll make it fit- even if he has to bang on the back of the slide with a hammer.

BillSWPA
10-29-2019, 05:46 PM
I have also had good reaults with my P-32 and P3AT, although both required recoil springs 2 lb. heavier than factory standard to be 100% reliable. Three different people I know have also had good results with their P-3AT’s.

The video is discouraging, but I would not write something off just because it is a Kel-Tec.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Greg
10-29-2019, 06:16 PM
It's Bubba. He's good at putting things where they're not supposed to go.
He'll make it fit- even if he has to bang on the back of the slide with a hammer.

Headbutt it into battery like a real man!

zaitcev
10-29-2019, 07:17 PM
The video is discouraging, but I would not write something off just because it is a Kel-Tec.
I don't think you find serious people doing that. My SU-16 is reliable with just about any ammunition, BTW. But it seems that P17 has issues, perhaps in the struggle to reach the weight and cost targets.