PDA

View Full Version : M4 style handguards vs. free float

Little Creek
04-19-2012, 04:28 AM
What is to be gained by switching my M&P15 Sport with M4 style handguards to a free float style handguard? I know their are many different free floating handguards on the market and that they vary in cost and in the degree of difficultity in installing? Cost vs. benefit vs. degree of difficulity in installing? I currently have the Magpul MOE handguard with MOE verticle grip. I plan on using this carbine with a 1X scope with lighted reticle, Leupold Prismatic. I am relatively new to the M4 platform. This is my first M4gery.

Your thoughts?

rob_s
04-19-2012, 04:57 AM
I am a big proponent of Experience Based Learning (http://serc.carleton.edu/introgeo/enviroprojects/what.html), so my suggestion is to go shoot the gun and find out if you want/need what the free-float offers.

Traditionally rifle barrels were free-floated in their stocks to improve accuracy potential by eliminating the inconsistent pressure on the barrel from the stock. The key to accuracy is consistency. With the AR-pattern carbine it is less about inherent accuracy in the system as it is about reducing the effects of outside forces on the barrel itself. For example, if you zero your current gun while resting it on the handguard, or with a bipod attached to the handguard, you will have a different POI when you shoot offhand or from magazine monopod prone. This can still occur with a free-float but to a much, much lesser degree.

Additionally, when you get into shooting the AR in the kinds of dynamic situations it was intended you wind up braced against this, resting on that, or even tightening down a sling like the Viking Tactics or Mission Ready Equipment to use as a shooting aid. Having a free-float handguard will again help reduce the impact that contact or tension has on the barrel.

Finally, having a free-float handguard allows you to use a longer handguard system. There *are* ways of getting longer handguards without going to a free-float, such as the Dissipator format with a rifle-length handguard and front sight base in the rifle position on a 16" barrel, but the free-float is considered better because you also get the above benefits.

Ultimately YOU need to shoot YOUR gun and determine if there are any shortcomings that can be addressed by gear and accessory changes that are worth the costs.

ffhounddog
04-19-2012, 07:24 AM
If you do not want to mess with the front sight base you can get a 7.0 Midwest Industries or Daniel Defese Rail system that is Free Float.

I used KAC non free float on my M4 in Iraq for three tours, never had an issue with it for accuracy but when I did shoot it was more stress than anything else.

I use MOE on my Training M4's because they do what I need them to do. Non Training rifles have Daniel Defense Free Float 7.0 rails on the LWRCs and Daniel Defense Rifles and issued and my personnel Colt get KAC non free float. Might also want to check out the Daniel Defense Rail system that you can install that goes around the front sight post like on Larry Vickers Signature M4. Seems to be a good piece of kit.

rob_s
04-19-2012, 09:23 AM
I am personally not a fan of the 7.0 FF handguards as I don't find there is enough space to fully take advantage of them.

Of the drop-in FSP railed-handguards I find the Centurion Arms versions to be quite good. Relatively easy to install (cut delta ring and spring, no change to FSB or muzzle device) and you can get a 12.0 version (http://www.centurionarms.net/index.php?option=com_virtuemart&page=shop.product_details&flypage=C4-FSP-rails.tpl&product_id=82) or a 9.0 version (http://www.centurionarms.net/index.php?option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=177).