PDA

View Full Version : One handgun, not sure which to choose ....

HammerStriker
10-23-2019, 09:16 AM
For years I've owned two handguns, that I alternate between every range trip (I shoot about once per month). I don't carry, since my state doesn't readily issue permits, so my pistols are for HD and range fun. Lately, I've been shooting a CZ P01 and M&P9 2.0 Compact. I was leaning towards selling the CZ P01 and keeping the M&P as my one gun, until I went to an indoor range and rented a Gen 3 Glock 17 & 19. I shot both Glocks better than the CZ and M&P. This really surprised me since I hadn't put hands on a Glock in ~2 years. This may be in my head, but it seemed like something about the Glock's trigger pull was so predictable and consistent (or maybe it was just me that day?). Now I'm contemplating selling both the CZ and M&P to buy either a Glock 17 or 19. Would love some feedback and opinions on which you would choose if it was to be your only gun?
Thank you in advance for anyone who provides their feedback!

Galbraith
10-23-2019, 09:35 AM
.......so my pistols are for HD and range fun.
Full sized pistol is the way to go with the longer slide and higher capacity magazine.

I was leaning towards selling the CZ P01 and keeping the M&P as my one gun.......
The old quote of "Two guns equals 1, and one equals none" isn't as relevant today as it was in the past since modern 9mms in particular are must more durable and reliable. However, I still am in favor of at least having a couple of weapons available for a wide variety of possible reasons why one is not enough. Plus, I would not mix a hammer fired action with a striker action unless it is for collecting. Keeping a similar manual of arms will maximize your muscle memory to operate the handgun more quickly and cleanly in a stressful situation.

I don't carry, since my state doesn't readily issue permits...
Does it have magazine capacity or ammo purchase restrictions?

As far as Glocks go, in general you will operate a single trigger condition firearm like the Glock easier than other systems. I've found that the S&W M&P isn't as accurate in certain 9mm loads and I do not favor the platform. I would also recommend renting a Sig P320 full sized and do a comparison between the Glock and P320. A nice aspect of the P320, especially if you are considering owning only one handgun, is that the P320 can be converted to a smaller gun if you choose to carry the weapon outside of the home.

vcdgrips
10-23-2019, 09:58 AM
Given the most recent 320 drama unintended discharge issues (and the lack of accessory support relative to Glock), I would strongly consider a gen 5 Glock 19, a quality kydex holster mated to a quality OWB holster, 2000 rounds of ammo and a quality class. I would practice what I learned in class and drive on knowing I solved the hardware solution so I could free my mind to solve the software problems of becoming highly proficient with the platform.

Robinson
10-23-2019, 10:01 AM
Nothing necessarily wrong with the pistols you own now, but based on your situation you have no compelling reason to stay with a compact pistol. If you like the way the Glock shoots, go buy a G17 and be done with it. Two of the same gun would be even better -- if you can't swing it now then plan on adding a second copy down the road.

41magfan
10-23-2019, 10:08 AM
I don't usually "recommend" guns to people I know nothing anything about but if carrying the pistol wasn't part of the equation, I'd get a long slide gun like a G34 and probably put a RDS on it. My second fiddle would probably be a G17.

BillSWPA
10-23-2019, 10:09 AM
Having more than one is wise. Glocks have a good reputation for durability and reliability, as do some other brands, but anything can fail. I had a Glock slide lock spring break 1/3 of the way through an IDPA classifier, sidelining that gun until a new spring could be obtained and installed. Other guns have stopped working at unfortunate times for other reasons. Having only one could mean you have zero at some point.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

O4L
10-23-2019, 10:16 AM
Nothing necessarily wrong with the pistols you own now, but based on your situation you have no compelling reason to stay with a compact pistol. If you like the way the Glock shoots, go buy a G17 and be done with it. Two of the same gun would be even better -- if you can't swing it now then plan on adding a second copy down the road.I agree.

I have a G19 gen5 that I use as a range gun and one of my HD guns.

I am planning on swapping it for a G17 gen5 soon because the longer grip suits me better.

I also like the full size M&Ps for range and HD pistols and I shoot them well.

I am another that believes that more than one is a good idea.

psalms144.1
10-23-2019, 10:23 AM
Without knowing what state you're in, and any relevant magazine restrictions, it's hard to give advice. This is an issue because, GENERALLY, Glock neutered magazines (full capacity mags restricted to 10 rounds) are spotty on reliability, so Glock 19s and larger are hard to recommend for those in capacity limited states.

Having said all that, a larger gun will give better sight radius and less recoil, so bigger is usually better. Having said that, and having owned every size 9mm Glock ever made (less the G48 and G18), I have a very strong preference for the G19. I've owned and shot G34 and G17 pistols pretty extensively, and never found enough (if any) measurable performance increase to make the size increase worth it. I particularly didn't care for the feel of the G34's slide movement in recoil - felt all wrong to me.

So, if you want to go GLOCK, and you can use "real" magazines, I would look hard at a Gen5 G19 MOS. That way when you cave into the pressure here and get a RDS for your pistol, you'll have a factory mounting solution easily available.

There is, of course, the very real possibility that you experienced "new gun syndrome" when you shot the Glocks. This is very common when people get something new, they unconsciously slow things down and are more deliberate in their handling and shooting, with a resultant "false positive" increased accuracy. The only way to know if the GLOCKs are going to "shoot better" for you would be to run them on a timer on some fairly demanding drills, and compare your results to shooting the same drills on a timer to your current pistols.

Just my thoughts, and worth precisely what you paid for them!

Clusterfrack
10-23-2019, 10:46 AM
The handguns I carry or use for home defense are Glocks and CZs.

There are advantages in using a DA/SA that have been discussed at length here. The DA/SA system takes more time to learn to shoot well. And, Glock is arguably the default choice for most people for most uses.

And, Psalms post above is excellent.

spinmove_
10-23-2019, 11:11 AM
Without knowing what state you're in, and any relevant magazine restrictions, it's hard to give advice. This is an issue because, GENERALLY, Glock neutered magazines (full capacity mags restricted to 10 rounds) are spotty on reliability, so Glock 19s and larger are hard to recommend for those in capacity limited states.

Having said all that, a larger gun will give better sight radius and less recoil, so bigger is usually better. Having said that, and having owned every size 9mm Glock ever made (less the G48 and G18), I have a very strong preference for the G19. I've owned and shot G34 and G17 pistols pretty extensively, and never found enough (if any) measurable performance increase to make the size increase worth it. I particularly didn't care for the feel of the G34's slide movement in recoil - felt all wrong to me.

So, if you want to go GLOCK, and you can use "real" magazines, I would look hard at a Gen5 G19 MOS. That way when you cave into the pressure here and get a RDS for your pistol, you'll have a factory mounting solution easily available.

There is, of course, the very real possibility that you experienced "new gun syndrome" when you shot the Glocks. This is very common when people get something new, they unconsciously slow things down and are more deliberate in their handling and shooting, with a resultant "false positive" increased accuracy. The only way to know if the GLOCKs are going to "shoot better" for you would be to run them on a timer on some fairly demanding drills, and compare your results to shooting the same drills on a timer to your current pistols.

I and others have had pretty good luck with Magpul 10 round magazines. It’s not optimal, but better than the OEM solution currently IMHO.

STI
10-23-2019, 12:02 PM
After years of Gen 5 G17 ownership, a range rental G45 shoots identically accurate with faster return to point of aim for me, and it has the same grip, so I’d buy one of those unless you’re really using that last half inch of barrel for velocity.

pangloss
10-23-2019, 12:06 PM
If it's not for carry, I'd get a G17. The last time I timed myself I was a tiny bit faster with the bigger pistol. However, that difference is probably not really meaningful. If you're stuck with 10 round mags, I'd at least look at a Glock 48.

What capacity mags do you have for your CZ and S&W?

Sent from my moto e5 cruise using Tapatalk

1911Nut
10-23-2019, 12:31 PM
I have found myself completely locked up and unable to add any comments of value to this thread, and I apologize. The concept of only having one gun is so foreign to me that I can't imagine it.

JonInWA
10-23-2019, 01:10 PM
I'd recommend a Glock G17 for a "one and only" gun, but you'd hardly be going wrong with a G19, G45, G19X, or G48.

An obvious suggestion would be to spend some range time, preferably with each, but at least with a G17 and G19 to find out your preferences between them.

While a G19 and its variants are a bit downsized from the full-size G17, it's actually quite easy to effectively and comfortably carry a G17 concealed, so I'd just go with whichever one you find preferential.

Another consideration might be to check out an HK VP9 and its sub-variants.

Best, Jon

corneileous
10-23-2019, 01:40 PM
I have found myself completely locked up and unable to add any comments of value to this thread, and I apologize. The concept of only having one gun is so foreign to me that I can't imagine it.

Same here. That’s why in the little over 3 years of owning a handgun I’ve gone from 1 to 6...lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

awdxtc
10-23-2019, 06:36 PM
Its hard to say as I'm not sure what's important to you. Magazine availability...glock probably wins; however if I wanted something that would survive forever and not carry concealed I'd go mk23 or full size usp. Even though the usp can be concealed pretty easily.

Patrin
10-23-2019, 07:20 PM
VP9....VP9SK if your restricted to 10 round magazines. Can convert later to 11, 12 or purchase HK 13 rounders.

Joe in PNG
10-23-2019, 07:26 PM
I'd suspect that shooting a different gun unconsciously had you focusing more on your fundamentals, and thus your better performance.
You'd probably see a return to normalcy should you shoot either on a regular basis.

Thus, my advice would be to just stick to what you already have, and shoot them more.

Caballoflaco
10-23-2019, 07:43 PM
If you ever have to use your gun to defend your home the police will most likely take that gun and then you will have zero guns. In addition, shooting people sometimes results in the shotee’s friends and or family threatening you and your family’s life.

In my state having knowledge of a credible threat against your life is an affirmative defense against the Misdemeanor charge of illegally carrying a concealed weapon.

I am not advocating breaking the law, but it is good to be knowledgeable of the laws in your state.

That being said, my vote is two guns of the same make, but possibly different sizes so mags and support gear are interchangeable. A full sized M&P core with a red dot would make a nice companion to your compact.

M2CattleCo
10-23-2019, 07:56 PM
I'd suspect that shooting a different gun unconsciously had you focusing more on your fundamentals, and thus your better performance.
You'd probably see a return to normalcy should you shoot either on a regular basis.

Thus, my advice would be to just stick to what you already have, and shoot them more.

This. Something is wrong if you found a Glock trigger to be predictable and consistent.

RevolverRob
10-23-2019, 08:38 PM
I'd choose two identical versions of the same handgun. If you cannot carry a gun, I see no need in selecting a compact version, but there is merit to it, if you can carry.

___

I split my time between multiple states/homes these days and don't have the luxury of having everything in one place. As a result, I tend to keep it simple with a few versions of the same handgun type. Sometimes that takes the form of a set of 4" and 2" revolvers, currently the form is that of 1911-pattern pistols.

Continuity helps a lot, in my opinion, with keeping things manageable and moving. Choose two identical versions or the suggested full size + compact of the same handgun and be done with it.

As to which one. I've yet to meet someone who was dissatisfied with owning an HK...VP9/VP9SK, P30/P30SK, USP/USPc, HK45/HK45C - Any of those would be fine choices.

fatdog
10-23-2019, 08:46 PM
If I only owned one handgun it would be a gen 5 G19, unless I was magazine restricted to 10, then it would be and HK USP/c with an LEM trigger. If I could not carry concealed at all, I would go up to the G17 or the full size USP if I were magazine restricted.

HammerStriker
10-23-2019, 08:47 PM
Full sized pistol is the way to go with the longer slide and higher capacity magazine.

The old quote of "Two guns equals 1, and one equals none" isn't as relevant today as it was in the past since modern 9mms in particular are must more durable and reliable. However, I still am in favor of at least having a couple of weapons available for a wide variety of possible reasons why one is not enough. Plus, I would not mix a hammer fired action with a striker action unless it is for collecting. Keeping a similar manual of arms will maximize your muscle memory to operate the handgun more quickly and cleanly in a stressful situation.

I too and starting to think it isn't a good idea to mix hammer and striker guns. Initially I saw shooting as a hobby and thought it'd be fun to have a variety of actions. Now that I'm more serious about improving my skills (and much busier because of kids), I want to make every rep count. I get the felling that by switching across such different trigger systems, I'm wasting time an ammo when I can be focusing on getting really good with a particular platform.

Does it have magazine capacity or ammo purchase restrictions?

In CA we have a 10 round capacity restriction

As far as Glocks go, in general you will operate a single trigger condition firearm like the Glock easier than other systems. I've found that the S&W M&P isn't as accurate in certain 9mm loads and I do not favor the platform. I would also recommend renting a Sig P320 full sized and do a comparison between the Glock and P320. A nice aspect of the P320, especially if you are considering owning only one handgun, is that the P320 can be converted to a smaller gun if you choose to carry the weapon outside of the home.

Appreciate the suggestion and feedback. Thank you!

HammerStriker
10-23-2019, 08:51 PM
Having more than one is wise. Glocks have a good reputation for durability and reliability, as do some other brands, but anything can fail. I had a Glock slide lock spring break 1/3 of the way through an IDPA classifier, sidelining that gun until a new spring could be obtained and installed. Other guns have stopped working at unfortunate times for other reasons. Having only one could mean you have zero at some point.

That is a good point. Out of curiosity, which Glock do you shoot most (34, 17, etc)?

BillSWPA
10-23-2019, 08:55 PM
That is a good point. Out of curiosity, which Glock do you shoot most (34, 17, etc)?

At that time, my only Glock was my 26, which I used for concealed carry as well as recreational shooting, training classes, and IDPA. I was back to carrying a revolver until the new spring came in. I have since picked up a 19, which I now shoot more often, but the 26 is still one of my most frequently carried guns. If legal or economic circumstances ever limited me to one gun, the 26 would be a top contender, although my Sig 365 would be its main competition.

HammerStriker
10-23-2019, 09:01 PM

I did not pay anything, but the feedback is great--Thank you! Funny thing, I actually thought about whether I was more concentrated since the Glocks were less familiar. At 7 years I hit more accurately with the G19 than the 17 for some reason.

I owned a PPQ 5 inch a while ago and sold it, I felt like the slide was too long. I definitely have a preference for 4" barrels over 5". I fell like I should swing for the G17 though since the longer barrel has added benefits (on paper at least) without feeling long and awkward like the 5 in PPQ.

Oh, and I do use 10 round mags since I'm in CA.

claymore504
10-23-2019, 09:06 PM
This is a personal choice and what works best for you. If this was me, since carrying is not an option I would go full size for sure. You three very good choices for sure. I would first decide if you prefer DA/SA or striker fired. If striker, then the CZ gets sold. If it was down to Glock or M&P, I would go M&P M2.0 full size 5 inch barrel for home defense. If you go Glock I would go 17. If you decide DA/SA is for you, then the P01 will serve well.

HammerStriker
10-23-2019, 09:07 PM
If it's not for carry, I'd get a G17. The last time I timed myself I was a tiny bit faster with the bigger pistol. However, that difference is probably not really meaningful. If you're stuck with 10 round mags, I'd at least look at a Glock 48.

What capacity mags do you have for your CZ and S&W?

Sent from my moto e5 cruise using Tapatalk

I have 10 rounders for both, never had an issue...

HCM
10-23-2019, 09:23 PM

willie
10-24-2019, 02:08 AM
Right now pistols are inexpensive compared to panic times in the past and what may arise in the near future. Keep both. You may not be able to replace one. For example, if one requires shop time or is stolen, you have a spare. Glock 17 mags will fit in and work in the 19 and 26. Do you a safe or other way to secure the weapons? Possible theft prompts the question. I have the same weapons that you cite.

Hambo
10-24-2019, 05:41 AM
I shot both Glocks better than the CZ and M&P.

Based on what? Slow fire groups? Timed drills?

You shoot 1x a month, and if I read correctly you don't shoot either pistol two months in a row. That's not much data. If you just want new gun smell, buy it and don't try to rationalize.

Trukinjp13
10-24-2019, 07:55 AM
Buy a G45 with ameriglo sights. Shoot the frikin crap out of it. Once you have at least 2000 rounds through it. Reevaluate your pistol choices. The G45 will do everything you need it to. Holsters are plenty, mags are everywhere, and the gun will just work.

You can get lost in the sea of choices. K.I.S.S works pretty damn well.

HammerStriker
10-24-2019, 08:47 AM

You shoot 1x a month, and if I read correctly you don't shoot either pistol two months in a row. That's not much data. If you just want new gun smell, buy it and don't try to rationalize.

I shoot both guns every range trip. I'm talking stationary shooting, not timed drills. Thanks.

FAS1
10-24-2019, 09:06 AM
Nothing wrong with a Glock 17 for home defense if it's comfortable in your hand and you shoot it well. My Gen2 is still my home defense gun (for the last 25+ years) and stays in my handgun safe that is mounted to my bed. I can carry and chose a G26 for the similar platform.

0ddl0t
10-24-2019, 09:15 AM
Keep the guns you have, especially since you were able to buy standard capacity magazines during freedom week last April and aren't limited to 10 rounds like you will be with your next pistol.

EVP
10-24-2019, 09:46 AM
For one gun, why not sell the CZ and pickup another m&p 2.0?

I honestly think if going with only one gun then a gen 5 Glock would be the way to go

But you said you live in CA and have 10round mag limits and this is not a carry gun.... so that makes me think to stay with guns that have known reliable 10 round mags.

Honestly the gun is really one of the least important parts of the equation. Get a known reliable, common gun with plenty of aftermarket holster and sight availability and then focus on training, practicing and getting to a comfortable proficiency level.

I recommend Docs article in the ammunition section of these forums titled (Service-Caliber-Handgun-Duty-and-Self-Defense-Ammo)

RevolverRob
10-24-2019, 09:46 AM
Keep the guns you have, especially since you were able to buy standard capacity magazines during freedom week last April and aren't limited to 10 rounds like you will be with your next pistol.

This guy ^^^^^

I don't always agree with him, but he is correct here. You have standard capacity magazines from Freedom Week? Do not sell or trade a thing.

If you want a Glock, buy a Glock. I personally wouldn't bother.

Instead, I'd pick one of your two platforms and focus on shooting it exclusively for awhile until you have a high degree of confidence in it and your skill. Spending the money you'd use on a gun to buy ammo.

If it were me, I'd pick the CZ. Learning to properly run a TDA gun is far more rewarding, challenging, and will likely give you faster gains to an initial performance plateau over shooting the striker gun. You'll probably find that if you focus on just shooting the TDA gun for about 6-months, your striker fired shooting will improve.

If I were going to do anything in your position, I'd buy another P01, to have a dedicated dry-fire gun.

RevolverRob
10-24-2019, 09:48 AM

It's close. Except on one side it should say "Glock" and on the other "1911"...and of course H&K is better. :rolleyes: :eek:

But's wrong...because you suck and we hate you. ;)

Clusterfrack
10-24-2019, 09:52 AM
I was just writing this when RR posted. Same here: If it was me, I would sell the M&P and buy a second P-01 with zero second thoughts.

HopetonBrown
10-24-2019, 10:06 AM
It doesn't matter, and in California there isn't much choice, anyway.

Take some shooting classes that aren't at Front Sight, join your local IDPA/USPSA club, shoot 6 matches, then come back and tell us what you decided, because that experience will shape your decision because you'll be a more informed consumer.

Galbraith
10-24-2019, 10:10 AM
Appreciate the suggestion and feedback. Thank you!

Ultimately, most of the mid-higher end modern 9mm makes and models out there from the major manufacturers will be reliable and durable enough for you to not be overly concerned for your usage. I would still recommend a full sized pistol as they tend to be easier to shoot quickly, shoot accurately, they are less prone to shooter induced malfunctions like limp wristing, and they tend to have greater longevity and durability.

One thing you definitely want to get into is shooting some drills that will improve your skill. There are a number of printable targets and drill descriptions in the training section of this forum. Adding a shot timer to your training routine would be great, as it will greatly improve your speed in all aspects of shooting......from draw time, follow-up shot speed, reload speed,....etc. Another nice training aid for those that can't get to the gun range or shoot up a lot of ammo are laser training cartridges. With a cleaned and oiled barrel, they fall into the chamber of the pistol and rubber o-rings give it a snug fit. The cartridge fires a laser pulse every time you pull the trigger and the laser hits to the point of aim of the barrel and sights. It gives you instant feed-back as to whether your grip/trigger is off and allows you to quickly adapt to your operator errors, and correct it. With a laser training cartridge I find that my students can more quickly get their grip and trigger control where it needs to be faster than actually shooting live ammo.

As far as mag capacity limits go, don't sweat it. I used single stack .45s(duty) and 9mms(off duty) for years and would not feel undergunned today given the right training routine and acquired skill. I still carry a 10+1 .45acp and shoot better than most other shooters that I encounter who are using high capacity long slide 9mms. The key is to have extra mags readily accessible and set up your courses of fire during training to make constant reloads.

Galbraith
10-24-2019, 11:18 AM
Double Post.

spinmove_
10-24-2019, 11:22 AM

If this is the case, then Hambo is totally correct. It doesn’t matter what gun you standardize on as you haven’t acquired enough time and skill for it to ultimately matter. Pick one, learn it’s idiosyncrasies, take a class or two, shoot it a bunch, and learn from there.

There’s going to be pros and cons to every platform and none of them are perfect. Glock is the easy choice. Other brands really aren’t too far off in general. DA/SA guns really aren’t that much harder to shoot at all either. What matters most is your own personal skill and familiarity with whatever you’re shooting. Just pick one and run with it.

spinmove_
10-24-2019, 11:43 AM
Also, you’re in CA. Getting 10rd magazines that work is a necessity and you can’t always find Magpul mags.

Of the three you’re considering (M&P 2.0, Glock Gen3, and CZ P-01), if it were me starting all over again and knowing what I know now, I would totally go with the CZ P-01.

willie
10-24-2019, 11:43 AM
The S&W platform is ok, but it seems that surprises show up from time to time. I have two Shields, 9 and .45, that are reliable and accurate. I have had the full size guns that were ok. I may buy another. That said, I would not sell a CZ to buy a Smith. .

The newer pistols offered to us are improvements over factory offerings from 40 years ago. Metallurgy is more advanced.
Designs have been tweaked. Today there are more people placing stress of high round counts and dry firing frequency on across the counter purchases. In years past the older pistols would have had higher incidence of failure. I view a CZ 75 series gun including the P01 offering as a robust and reliable handgun. A Glock is a Glock. The op liked a rented Glock's trigger. I have two 3rd gen Glocks with fine triggers. One was born this way. The other came about by my swapping parts.

S&W, CZ, and Glock provide excellent customer service. Stay within these tribes, and you will do well. Soon even 10 round mags will be expensive. Panic buying will start.

HammerStriker
10-24-2019, 09:19 PM
Also, you’re in CA. Getting 10rd magazines that work is a necessity and you can’t always find Magpul mags.

Of the three you’re considering (M&P 2.0, Glock Gen3, and CZ P-01), if it were me starting all over again and knowing what I know now, I would totally go with the CZ P-01.

Thank you for you input! What is it that would steer you towards the CZ P01?

HammerStriker
10-24-2019, 09:41 PM
Ultimately, most of the mid-higher end modern 9mm makes and models out there from the major manufacturers will be reliable and durable enough for you to not be overly concerned for your usage. I would still recommend a full sized pistol as they tend to be easier to shoot quickly, shoot accurately, they are less prone to shooter induced malfunctions like limp wristing, and they tend to have greater longevity and durability.

One thing you definitely want to get into is shooting some drills that will improve your skill. There are a number of printable targets and drill descriptions in the training section of this forum. Adding a shot timer to your training routine would be great, as it will greatly improve your speed in all aspects of shooting......from draw time, follow-up shot speed, reload speed,....etc. Another nice training aid for those that can't get to the gun range or shoot up a lot of ammo are laser training cartridges. With a cleaned and oiled barrel, they fall into the chamber of the pistol and rubber o-rings give it a snug fit. The cartridge fires a laser pulse every time you pull the trigger and the laser hits to the point of aim of the barrel and sights. It gives you instant feed-back as to whether your grip/trigger is off and allows you to quickly adapt to your operator errors, and correct it. With a laser training cartridge I find that my students can more quickly get their grip and trigger control where it needs to be faster than actually shooting live ammo.

As far as mag capacity limits go, don't sweat it. I used single stack .45s(duty) and 9mms(off duty) for years and would not feel undergunned today given the right training routine and acquired skill. I still carry a 10+1 .45acp and shoot better than most other shooters that I encounter who are using high capacity long slide 9mms. The key is to have extra mags readily accessible and set up your courses of fire during training to make constant reloads.

This is solid perspective and great advice. I know I should want a full-sized pistol and believe in the benefits of a larger gun. For some reason I just like the "compact" 4" barrels better, don't ask me why. lol. I'm torn on which platform to focus on and whether it will be full-size or compact. One thing is for sure, I need to choose one and focus my time and energy on training rather than equipment selection. Thanks, again for the feedback!

L-2
10-24-2019, 11:43 PM
Some thoughts I had after reading this thread.

http://baggss.us
Map of CA indicating what counties might be easier to get a CCW vs. counties which are likely to be impossible.
There are 58 counties in CA. If you have to live in one of the 22 harder-to-get-CCW counties, then that's-the-way-it-goes.

Also, there are legalities allowing the carrying of a handgun in CA, even without a CCW. And there are other states which allow open or concealed carry for non-residents, which include Californians.

There's no law or rule preventing a person from owning 3 or 4 handguns, which means you can buy the G17Gen3 and the G19Gen3 to add to what you've already got. Later, if you want, you can sell off what you don't want, making your own decision instead of asking the forum. It doesn't matter what we'd keep or sell, just as it doesn't matter to us what you buy, keep, or sell.

There's nothing wrong with your S&W or CZ (or if you get a Glock, nothing wrong with Glock). What could be wrong with having only one gun is if that one gun breaks-down, gets stolen, or is somehow lost. In CA, you'd have to go a minimum of 10 days before getting another firearm, and that's if you can decide what to get the very first day when that one firearm is unavailable.

There are many sides to home-defense (HD), and a handgun is only one aspect. Being this is a firearms forum, we members typically place firearms as a priority, which is yet another personal decision. I said "firearms" as there are other firearms besides just semiauto pistols. There are also rifles and shotguns. Other things to spend money on are alarms, locks, baseball bats, knives, pepper spray, dogs, martial arts training, cell phones, bars on windows, etc.

Touching on the training suggestion, for me, the firearm cost is minor compared to the ammo I put through them. I might even recommend budgeting in at least 1000 rounds/month (to start, maybe up it to 2K rds/mo.) in shooting/practice/training and then posting a thread telling us what gun(s) you keep and use.

My final thought for this post is that folks are constantly looking at a hardware solution when existing hardware (the CZ and the S&W) might be just fine. Reading enough forums, you'll likely find folks who prefer CZ or S&W instead of Glock, or other brands not even mentioned. I like Glocks and have several. I also like variety and have and carry other brands at times, but I'm most comfortable with Glock. It doesn't mean it's the best brand-choice for everyone. It's just what I use. Again, any of the brands you're considering are fine.

EDIT, add'l thought. I have tried 10-round mags in my Glocks 17 & 19. Particularly with a G19 10-round mag, if I only have one round in that mag and try to chamber that round, more often than not, that single round will fail to feed; just my observation on that issue.

john c
10-25-2019, 03:22 AM
Are you limiting yourself to on-roster guns? Or are you willing to pony up an outrageous amount for an off-roster pistol?

If the former, get another P-01. If the latter, another M&P 2.0 Compact. Considering all M&Ps are off roster, it will be difficult to get even a 1.0 pistol at a reasonable price. The flip side to this is that your 2.0 is probably worth $850. That's both good and bad; you'll get a lot of money for it, but you won't easily be able to get another.

Based on the reliability of 10 round Glock mags, and only being able to get a Gen 3 pistol, I personally would pass on a Glock in your situation in favor of keeping your M&P. I've been a Glock guy for 26 years, but was seriously considering shifting away from the platform in favor of newer, better options like the M&P, VP9, etc. Then the Gen5 came out, and brought Glock up to parity in terms of advancements over the competition. I sold all of my pre Gen5 guns (except one) and got Gen5s. They are really that good.

In your case, I'd keep both pistols, and just focus on shooting one exclusively for a year or so. Take a class from a good local trainer, and maybe shoot some IDPA or USPSA. Then evaluate. Since the P01 is still on the roster, pick up a second one if you feel the urge. But keep the M&P 2.0 because you won't be able to get another one.

spinmove_
10-25-2019, 05:59 AM
Thank you for you input! What is it that would steer you towards the CZ P01?

Given your 3 options in the state that YOU live in, quite a bit.

It’s a roster gun. Reliable 10-rd magazines. It’s an aluminum frame gun which means you can choose just the right texture and sized grips that you want without permanent modification. You can get essentially whatever sights you want within reason. The slide can be milled for a mRDS. While not entirely uncomplicated, you can get a really nice trigger in it. I find the TDA style trigger mechanism to be less distracting to actually shoot while giving the end user some additional layers of safety. There are great full sized options of that gun available for competition.

Those are the big things that immediately come to mind. What I look for in a gun essentially boils down to the 3 things I actually interface with: sights, trigger, grip. I want a smooth trigger, not necessarily light. I want sights that are simple yet easy to see. I want a grip that’s got good texture all the way up and down the side panels. Apart from that, it has to have reliable magazines, but most guns do these days. Everything else I find to be largely trivial.

HammerStriker
10-25-2019, 07:53 PM
Given your 3 options in the state that YOU live in, quite a bit.

It’s a roster gun. Reliable 10-rd magazines. It’s an aluminum frame gun which means you can choose just the right texture and sized grips that you want without permanent modification. You can get essentially whatever sights you want within reason. The slide can be milled for a mRDS. While not entirely uncomplicated, you can get a really nice trigger in it. I find the TDA style trigger mechanism to be less distracting to actually shoot while giving the end user some additional layers of safety. There are great full sized options of that gun available for competition.

Those are the big things that immediately come to mind. What I look for in a gun essentially boils down to the 3 things I actually interface with: sights, trigger, grip. I want a smooth trigger, not necessarily light. I want sights that are simple yet easy to see. I want a grip that’s got good texture all the way up and down the side panels. Apart from that, it has to have reliable magazines, but most guns do these days. Everything else I find to be largely trivial.

Thank you for elaborating, I appreciate the feedback!