PDA

View Full Version : Virginia Beach on May 2

MDS
04-18-2012, 08:22 PM
Business during the day, then an evening of drilling whatever aspects of my shooting sucked worst during the KSTG match the night before.

If anyone has a recommendation for a range, I'd appreciate it. And of course, if anyone is up to actually join me, that would be even better!

wrt81
04-18-2012, 08:39 PM
Business during the day, then an evening of drilling whatever aspects of my shooting sucked worst during the KSTG match the night before.

If anyone has a recommendation for a range, I'd appreciate it. And of course, if anyone is up to actually join me, that would be even better!

Unfortunately most public ranges around here have rules such as no drawing from the holster, no "rapid fire", etc so it might be tough to get any decent practice in.

C2 Center out in southern VA Beach (Pungo area) allows "rapid fire", but I believe no holster work unless your LE/Mil or unless you're taking a class there. Plus they close at 6pm I believe. There's A&P Arms off of Lynnhaven Parkway, but they have an awesome "1 shot every 4-6 seconds" rule. Superior Pawn on Virginia Beach Blvd has an indoor range, but I've never been so can't offer any input there.

I'm a fairly new shooter and want to try to improve, but it's extremely frustrating that there's such a lack of available places around here to do anything other than just "target practice".

wrt81
04-18-2012, 08:52 PM
I remembered this old thread after I posted:

http://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?2426-Hampton-Roads-The-only-place-I-shoot-indoors

I've never been since I'm not MIL and don't know any federal employees/contractors who would have access. Just throwing another option out there for you.

There's also Bob's Gun Shop in Norfolk. It's a smaller range and I haven't been in a long time, but I think they also have the same rules I mentioned above.

MDS
04-19-2012, 07:42 PM
Sweet, thanks for the tips. It looks like the c2 spot is the winner. Shooting outside is a rare treat for me - all the outdoor ranges within an hour from me are of the slow-fire-only variety. No holster work will suck... But a sucky day at the range is better than a good day at...well, you know what I mean. ;-)

cclaxton
04-19-2012, 08:34 PM

If you are willing to drive a ways, there is a Range in Newport News, VA called The Marksman.
http://the-marksman.com/index.html

They have a shooting range...see rates and hours on the website. They also have a training simulator...pretty cool. They have gun rentals. You have to use their targets.

I usually shoot at Norfolk County Rifle Range for IDPA events on Friday and Saturday, but nothing scheduled that week and it is a private club the rest of the time.

If you want to drive to Richmond, a brand new high tech range just opened called Colonial Shooting Academy.
http://www.colonialshooting.com/

Avoid Lynnhaven...4 seconds between shots....really?
CC

Odin Bravo One
04-19-2012, 08:43 PM
MS,

go to C2.

That is my home range, and where I expend the majority of my rounds. Unfortunately, I will be back out the door by the time you get here. But............maybe another time.

Mike (Obviously works out)and Wade (a little older gentleman) are the two honcho's running the joint 99% of the time. Both are very reasonable men, and unless you are a TOTAL slip knot, you should not run into issues with them if you want to do some holster work. Having shot with you, I can say that they are not likely to have issue with you drawing and working from the holster.

But because it is open to the public, I have witnessed such moron moments as a guy blazing away with his new AR-15, sans sights. None whatsoever. Why? Because it was new and he wanted to try it out............it's because of people like that there are the holster rules and other restrictions.

But.......if you move to the far right flank of the pistol bay, there are 3 steel gongs (2 12"x12" and 1 IPSC) in a bay by themselves (kind of). That bay really can only handle one shooter at a time, and there are walls on both sides, so it's not like anyone would see you working from the holster unless they were right behind you. I use this bay a lot. Especially if it is amateur hour on the rest of the line. It lets me kind of stay by myself and not worry as much about getting shot. The targets are at about 7/15/20 yards. It's absolutely great for the Tommygun..............

MDS
04-20-2012, 01:54 PM
Avoid Lynnhaven...4 seconds between shots....really?

Thanks for the tips, but time will be tight and C2 is pretty close to the office. As for 4 seconds between shots - that's how *all* the outdoor ranges are in SoFla... I don't blame the ranges, I blame the ridiculous a-hole density down here. :mad: Did I mention that I can't wait to move?

I will be back out the door by the time you get here. But............maybe another time.

Sorry to hear it, but I figure there are other folks who need your shooting help more than I. Thanks for that. And for the tips on getting the most out of the visit. ...and also for reminding me that I don't shoot anything nearly as fun as that Tommygun - why don't you give me a nice paper cut and pour lemon juice on it? ;)

MDS
05-02-2012, 10:42 PM
Made it out to C2 earlier today - nice range! I went with a couple of buddies, one a retired Secret Service agent. We had a good time plinking steel and som from the holster. The place was pretty much empty, and both Wade and Mike were friendly and accomodating. Though, when I told them I knew Sean, they almost kicked me out... ;)

VaBeach is nice, with any luck I'll be back in this neck of the woods now and then. The beach itself was empty at 0630, I had an awesome run with the sunrise. All in all, today was a good day. :)

Thanks again for the tips and advice!

Odin Bravo One
05-04-2012, 08:17 AM
I said I shoot there.........I didn't say to "name drop". You're lucky they let you on the line.

MDS
05-04-2012, 09:34 AM
Yeah, I had to call you some names behind your back before they let me in. ;)