PDA

View Full Version : Buying a New 9x19

JRAM
04-18-2012, 04:06 PM
Hi all new member! With all of the accuracy issues with the M&P 9's lately would anyone still take the risk (albeit small) and buy a new one? I realize that with most weapons you have to spend some money on getting them to run the way you would like it too.

But I do not want to have to pay to buy a barrel and maybe even to have to have it fitted to have my gun be made accurate at 15 yards+. Are the new production M&P 9's worth taking a chance on?

TGS
04-18-2012, 04:11 PM
Hi all new member! With all of the accuracy issues with the M&P 9's lately would anyone still take the risk (albeit small) and buy a new one? I realize that with most weapons you have to spend some money on getting them to run the way you would like it too.

But I do not want to have to pay to buy a barrel and maybe even to have to have it fitted to have my gun be made accurate at 15 yards+. Are the new production M&P 9's worth taking a chance on?

I personally would say no. I don't see what the M&P does that others don't. Others do what the M&P does, but in addition you also don't have to worry about poor accuracy.

If I wanted a SFA 9mm, I'd buy a Walther PPQ or P99. Other good choices being the Gen 2 or Gen 3 Glocks (http://www.aimsurplus.com/catalog.aspx?groupid=3&name=Pistols).

ToddG
04-18-2012, 04:22 PM
The ergonomics of the M&P are great, in my opinion. I think it's an incredibly well designed gun for the most part. But speaking only for myself, until Smith acknowledges and fixes the accuracy issue, I wouldn't buy another.

edited to add: I wouldn't buy another 9mm. The .45, .40, and 357 do not seem to share the same accuracy issues. In fact, if I were to buy a 357 SIG pistol today, the M&P357 would be at or near the top of my list.

JRAM
04-18-2012, 04:30 PM
Thanks guys, I really want another 9mm. I had a newer 3rd gen Glock 19 that had multiple problems that were not remedied by Glock so I sold it. It was between the M&P9 and P30 as I have been debating for a couple of weeks between the two. I am going to go with the HK. Thanks again.

JRL
04-18-2012, 05:49 PM
In fact, if I were to buy a 357 SIG pistol today, the M&P357 would be at or near the top of my list.

Would you say the same for the M&P.40?

jetfire
04-18-2012, 06:56 PM
My personal experience with the M&P40 Pro Series was extremely positive; I had several thousand rounds on one that I used for USPSA for a while.

ToddG
04-18-2012, 07:16 PM
Would you say the same for the M&P.40?

Possibly but not necessarily. The gen4 forties have impressed me.

orionz06
04-18-2012, 07:28 PM
Recent M&P that an LE friend got turned out to be decently accurate, not sure I would not suggest them.

VolGrad
04-18-2012, 07:31 PM
Thanks guys, I really want another 9mm. I had a newer 3rd gen Glock 19 that had multiple problems that were not remedied by Glock so I sold it.
So by that logic M&P9 and GLOCK should be out of the running for any new 9mm, right?

I don't mean that to be a smartass. I am just saying some folks have had issues with each manufacturer. I guess I've been lucky with both. The only "bad" GLOCKs I've owned was an early Gen4 G19 and a shot out Gen2 G19. I still trust a G19 daily in spite of those two. I am not a good enough shooter know if my M&P9s are bad or not.

JRAM
04-18-2012, 07:54 PM
So by that logic M&P9 and GLOCK should be out of the running for any new 9mm, right?

I don't mean that to be a smartass. I am just saying some folks have had issues with each manufacturer. I guess I've been lucky with both. The only "bad" GLOCKs I've owned was an early Gen4 G19 and a shot out Gen2 G19. I still trust a G19 daily in spite of those two. I am not a good enough shooter know if my M&P9s are bad or not.

Yes, for me. But that is my opinion. I want full confidence in my carry weapon as I am sure everyone here does, when I have a gun that malfunctions like my Glock did, I loose faith. Yes I got a lemon but I will not gamble on getting a good one. Maybe the HK I get will have problems. There is a higher chance IMO that getting another Glock or M&P will have problems.

GOP
04-18-2012, 08:00 PM
I wouldn't trade my (stock) Walther PPQ for anything. The ergos are excellent and it's currently gone 4,700 rounds without cleaning, 0 malfs. 8300 rounds in 3.5 months. I recommend these to everyone. The short trigger reset has been instrumental in me passing the iHack today. I'm trading my gen 3 Glock 19 for another in the next week.

gtmtnbiker98
04-18-2012, 08:01 PM
Yes, for me. But that is my opinion. I want full confidence in my carry weapon as I am sure everyone here does, when I have a gun that malfunctions like my Glock did, I loose faith. Yes I got a lemon but I will not gamble on getting a good one. Maybe the HK I get will have problems. There is a higher chance IMO that getting another Glock or M&P will have problems.Then buying a P30 will put your mind at ease.

VolGrad
04-18-2012, 08:13 PM
Yes, for me. But that is my opinion. I want full confidence in my carry weapon as I am sure everyone here does, when I have a gun that malfunctions like my Glock did, I loose faith. Yes I got a lemon but I will not gamble on getting a good one. Maybe the HK I get will have problems. There is a higher chance IMO that getting another Glock or M&P will have problems.

Fair enough. Again, I wasn't trying to be argumentative. I was just pointing out that by and far most folks still say "get a GLOCK" even though there have been well documented issues with Gen4s and some late model Gen3s.

I hear what you are saying though and can't argue with your logic.

LittleLebowski
04-18-2012, 08:36 PM
Then buying a P30 will put your mind at ease.

I've seen two P30s have major problems in as many days during a PF staff shoot. I believe the P30 is one of the best designs around but it can have problems; albeit JoshS informs me that the LEM has less problems than other iterations of the design. Failure2Stop was one of those afflicted.

JRAM
04-18-2012, 09:19 PM
VolGrad, I understand completely and wasn't trying to be a jerk either. I LOVE Glock and that is a fact, but just can't trust them right now due to whatever mind malfunction I have.:confused:

TGS
04-18-2012, 09:33 PM
I've seen two P30s have major problems in as many days during a PF staff shoot. I believe the P30 is one of the best designs around but it can have problems; albeit JoshS informs me that the LEM has less problems than other iterations of the design. Failure2Stop was one of those afflicted.

The difference is that those P30's obviously had defective, worn out or broken parts.......and not a design issue.

The Gen4 issues and M&P9 accuracy issues, on the other hand, are design issues.

ToddG
04-18-2012, 10:01 PM
I've seen two P30s have major problems in as many days during a PF staff shoot.

Actually, it was one P30 and one HK45, both DA/SA guns. The issue they experienced isn't possible with the LEM models.

JRAM
04-18-2012, 10:05 PM
Actually, it was one P30 and one HK45, both DA/SA guns. The issue they experienced isn't possible with the LEM models.

If you don't mind saying, what was the issue experienced?

ToddG
04-18-2012, 10:13 PM
There was an issue with some DA/SA HKs suffering from hammer follow. It was almost always limited to following from a manual slide rack and rarely occurred during actual live fire, so it usually didn't affect shooting performance... it was just disconcerting. However, one of the guys in our group was actually having it happen from shot to shot. Anyone experiencing the same problem (whether just "dry" or while the gun is firing) should contact HK. The problem is isolated but they're aware of it and will address it appropriately.

JRAM
04-18-2012, 10:18 PM
There was an issue with some DA/SA HKs suffering from hammer follow. It was almost always limited to following from a manual slide rack and rarely occurred during actual live fire, so it usually didn't affect shooting performance... it was just disconcerting. However, one of the guys in our group was actually having it happen from shot to shot. Anyone experiencing the same problem (whether just "dry" or while the gun is firing) should contact HK. The problem is isolated but they're aware of it and will address it appropriately.

So is this a random thing or would you know if your handgun had this problem within the first mags or so?

DocGKR
04-18-2012, 10:21 PM
If I were purchasing another 9 mm pistol, I'd look for a used gen 2 or older gen 3 Glock. FWIW, the brand new 3rd gen G19 I picked up in December 2011 is now on its third trigger bar and has had all the internal components replaced at least once; fortunately it is just a training pistol, as I would NOT trust it with my life.

If I wanted a factory new pistol, I'd get an M&P9 or M&P9c. Oh, but the M&P9's are not accurate......that is true for some, but so far all the ones I have shot have demonstrated acceptable accuracy--if I run across one that does not, it will keep going back to S&W until they rectify the problem or Apex comes out with their fix.

ToddG
04-18-2012, 10:29 PM
So is this a random thing or would you know if your handgun had this problem within the first mags or so?

My understanding is that it's something that develops over time. The two people who had it happen in our group that day were both using guns with (I'd guess) over a thousand rounds through them, perhaps substantially more. I don't really have much first hand knowledge since almost every P30 or HK45 I see is an LEM, and as I said the LEMs don't suffer from the issue to begin with.

orionz06
04-18-2012, 10:33 PM
If I wanted a factory new pistol, I'd get an M&P9 or M&P9c. Oh, but the M&P9's are not accurate......that is true for some, but so far all the ones I have shot have demonstrated acceptable accuracy--if I run across one that does not, it will keep going back to S&W until they rectify the problem or Apex comes out with their fix.

Before one jumps to conclusions that the gun sucks they need to eliminate themselves from the equation as well.

As I said before, no concerns suggesting a new M&P 9mm.

Steve S.
04-18-2012, 10:51 PM
I have to ask...

Does anyone have a link showing a widespread accuracy issue with the M&P9FS? Genuine curiosity...

I'm not defending the M&P, before anyone gets on that. Anyone who knows me, knows I bitch about all of my S&W guns for various reasons.

TGS
04-18-2012, 11:09 PM
I have to ask...

Does anyone have a link showing a widespread accuracy issue with the M&P9FS? Genuine curiosity...

I'm not defending the M&P, before anyone gets on that. Anyone who knows me, knows I bitch about all of my S&W guns for various reasons.

Here's a good primer: http://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?2903-Recent-manufacture-M-amp-P-9-accuracy

It's been pretty well documented.

digiadaamore
04-18-2012, 11:21 PM
I think id put in a recommendation for the new fns9 here. itll fit in mp holsters and they have been testing well

BCA
12-16-2012, 03:42 PM
Sorry to bring this back! I am about to purchase a P30 LEM or M&P 9 FS this week. I have been researching for a month or more and can not make my mind up. This gun will be for carry, range etc. I would prefer the M&P if not for worry of accuracy issues. I realize I can have a barrel fitted but would rather not go that route. Have the newer M&P's been better accuracy wise than previous iterations?

JM Campbell
12-16-2012, 04:08 PM
To be honest it's a hit or miss with the M&P from what I have seen. My FS is not to bad but not a 2" grouper, probably me behind the gun.

I do miss my P30's though, might pick one up in a year or two just to try again. My hang up with the P30 was inexperienced shooter syndrome and looking for hardware to fix software problems..should have stuck with it and powered through. I honestly think I would be a better shooter today if I kept with it instead of going the easy route.

Besides them P30 German thingys are sexxxy!

I am happy about the FS9 bit really miss the paddle mag release of the P30.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2

JonInWA
12-17-2012, 09:30 AM
There's a very interesting thread on www.M4carbine.net discussing this very thing, in the thread. "If not Glock, then who?" I'm quite satisfied with Glock, but if I were to buy a non-Glock 9mm, and my choices were the original posters, I'm pretty sure that I'd just go with as HK P30 with LEM. While Smith may have fixed the issue(s) with the 9mm M&Ps, if they haven't, realistically the cost of corrective actions/repairs/component replacements/tweakings plant you firmly in ...HK P30 territory. From my standpoint, it makes more sense to simply get the more likely trustworthy pistol from the onset, instead of having the uncertainty, nagging worry, and very possibly equal expense anyhow inherent to the 9mm M&P.

Best, Jon

Comedian
12-17-2012, 10:34 AM
My brand new M&P 9 FS was getting acceptable accuracy for me today. I was getting some nice groups standing free hand at 10 yards and it was easy to hit steel at 25 yards. Being an average shooter, i feel its just fine for a carry pistol.

Kyle Reese
12-17-2012, 10:40 AM
My brand new M&P 9 FS was getting acceptable accuracy for me today. I was getting some nice groups standing free hand at 10 yards and it was easy to hit steel at 25 yards. Being an average shooter, i feel its just fine for a carry pistol.

Hitting steel at 25 with an M&P 9? I was able to do this with my 2009 manufactured gun, but not without some Kentucky windage. I really liked many aspects of the M&P 9, but the wonky accuracy at distance was not one of those things. I'm remaining optimistic that S&W has remedied the accuracy issues in the newer production guns.

JM Campbell
12-17-2012, 10:54 AM
I did some clutch weak hand only at 35/38 yards on a walkback drill at a F2S pistol class with my FS9 (not sure of manf date) at 100 I was high for 10rds and no gong for me. This was an extreme high point for me my best shooting to date.
ETA: 1X1' steel plates. And I contribute the success to the quality instruction.

I like the platform and hope my next one will not have the lock up issues.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2