PDA

View Full Version : Beretta 92 at 37k rounds.........

Trooper224
10-20-2019, 03:01 PM
A few weeks ago, on the Beretta forum, I was asked for photos of my current training gun, which had surpassed the 35k round mark. Being primarily a collectors forum, most participants there view this as a high level round count. I know we here do not. However, I thought I'd post it up here as well, since you never know when such things might be useful.

https://a4.pbase.com/g12/64/521964/2/169921122.Z12sdmNr.jpg
https://a4.pbase.com/g12/64/521964/2/169921123.T1hAl12p.jpg

The finish has held up pretty well. I contribute this to the use of a leather holster. Since I carry IWB I prefer a leather holster for that use, as I find it far more comfortable than plastic. A Kydex holster will trash a guns finish in no time flat. After thousands of presentations the finish is still in pretty good shape.

Now for the innards.

https://a4.pbase.com/g12/64/521964/2/169921096.2sDFSSM4.jpg
https://a4.pbase.com/g12/64/521964/2/169921097.bUn2PsNY.jpg
https://a4.pbase.com/g12/64/521964/2/169921098.Q2AZ6FgP.jpg
https://a4.pbase.com/g12/64/521964/2/169921100.BipYwv8v.jpg
https://a4.pbase.com/g12/64/521964/2/169921102.6kJJjmBk.jpg

There's nothing to really see here other than some finish wear. Nothing is overly worn or fatigued. Everything remains in serviceable condition. There's a little erosion of the breach face around the firing pin hole, but nothing unexpected or worrisome.

https://a4.pbase.com/g12/64/521964/2/169921125.53qCW2VD.jpg

This gun is on its second locking block. With the first one replaced around the 20k round mark.

https://a4.pbase.com/o12/64/521964/1/169921115.guaNt8Tx.DSCN2354_2.JPG
https://a4.pbase.com/o12/64/521964/1/169921119.FqA4FZJ8.DSCN2355_2.JPG

As for routine maintenance: the recoil spring is replaced every 3k rounds. I replaced the first trigger return spring at the proscribed 5k round mark. Since then I've let it ride, just to see how far it will go. As of now, the current TRS has over 30k pulls during live fire and at least that many in dry fire. I don't think the TRS is an issue anymore. The original extractor was replaced at the 25k round mark. I recently replaced the original trigger bar with a Langdon unit. I didn't bother photographing the original part since there's no unusual or even significant wear on it. Other than that, the gun gets cleaned every few thousand rounds and lubed on a routine basis. I don't baby this particular 92, far from it.

I wish I had something dramatic to report, but I don't. The 92 is a very solid service weapon, as long as it's properly maintained and that doesn't take that much effort. In fact, it's one of the most reliable handguns I've ever used. The uninitiated and the ignorant will parrot the old urban myths about the 92 being fragile and unreliable. My experience has shown this to be patently false.

LockedBreech
10-20-2019, 03:16 PM
Outstanding. It looks really good for that round count, good sign of a well-maintained pistol.

I tend to agree that most reputable designs - the 92 included - function very well when maintained like they're supposed to be.

As a side note, a USAF friend brought me on base for lunch today and I saw the security gate person still carrying an M9. Made me sad and nostalgic that it's just a matter of time before there's an M18 in there. I'll always love the 92.

Trooper224
10-20-2019, 03:24 PM
Outstanding. It looks really good for that round count, good sign of a well-maintained pistol.

I tend to agree that most reputable designs - the 92 included - function very well when maintained like they're supposed to be.

As a side note, a USAF friend brought me on base for lunch today and I saw the security gate person still carrying an M9. Made me sad and nostalgic that it's just a matter of time before there's an M18 in there. I'll always love the 92.

I'll admit, I was a 92 basher for many years. I was in servitude to Uncle Sugar when it replaced the 1911. Being a disciple of God's Gun at the time, I was sure it was the end of western civilization. About six years ago, father time started to catch up to me with arthritis which caused me to replace the gun that Jesus shoots. Never in my wildest dreams would I have ever thought it would be a Beretta 92. In the end, I had to eat some crow on that. Now, I'd willingly take a 92 anywhere and expect it to do anything a handgun needs to do.

RevolverRob
10-20-2019, 03:35 PM
That is the hottest Beretta 92 I’ve seen in a long time.

RAM Engineer
10-20-2019, 04:06 PM
What grips are those?

Trooper224
10-20-2019, 04:40 PM
What grips are those?

Made by Stoner CNC. (https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=as_li_ss_tl?i=merchant-items&me=A2LNXYO5T207P6&linkCode=ll2&tag=ratio07-20&linkId=3f6a666efa4762440077d94161db463d&language=en_US)

JAH 3rd
10-20-2019, 08:05 PM
The word "outstanding" doesn't do you or that Beretta justice. Quite an accomplishment, the both of you! What lubricant did/do you use?

LockedBreech
10-20-2019, 08:26 PM
The word "outstanding" doesn't do you or that Beretta justice. Quite an accomplishment, the both of you! What lubricant did/do you use?

Extra curious about the answer to this as well, since I use Mil-Tech TW25B grease on all my Berettas and am curious about long term.

Trooper224
10-20-2019, 09:14 PM

I use the stuff in a little needle bottle, that was on the shelf the last time I needed lubricant, can't remember the name. I know that isn't what folks want to hear, but lubricants are one of the most over discussed things in the firearms world. If I need grease I dip into the can of Mobile One synthetic I bought years ago. I stopped using grease on handguns several years back, now it's just oil and whatever's on the shelf at the time.

JAH 3rd
10-20-2019, 09:47 PM
Thanks. Don't need a lube war for sure.

Poconnor
10-21-2019, 05:20 AM
I was lucky enough to be issued a colt government model by my police Dept. Truth is it was the main reason I went to work there and not another Dept. I also looked down my nose at beretta 92s as not being durable. But now I have two PX4s and a 92LTT all tuned by Langdon not to mention 5 other 92 that needed a home so I am very happy to see your post. Just a few days ago I was cleaning out my gun safe looking guns to sell to buy another LTT 92 and round out my S&W revolver collection. Spoiler alert - the 1911s and Glocks 9mm stay. The HKs are being replaced by berettas. But I am keeping my P7s because you know- they are P7s but I think an STI is in the near future

LockedBreech
10-21-2019, 10:16 AM
I use the stuff in a little needle bottle, that was on the shelf the last time I needed lubricant, can't remember the name. I know that isn't what folks want to hear, but lubricants are one of the most over discussed things in the firearms world. If I need grease I dip into the can of Mobile One synthetic I bought years ago. I stopped using grease on handguns several years back, now it's just oil and whatever's on the shelf at the time.

At the risk of irritating you since you don't want to discuss lubricants in-depth, why did you stop using grease? I only am so invested in the question because I want my 92s to get to the outstanding point of 37K rounds like yours and if I shouldn't be using the Mil-Tech grease I wanna know.

Feel free to tell me to pound sand. I won't turn it into a drawn out discussion at any rate.

Doc_Glock
10-21-2019, 10:54 AM

I love this reply.

Doc_Glock
10-21-2019, 10:58 AM
At the risk of irritating you since you don't want to discuss lubricants in-depth, why did you stop using grease? I only am so invested in the question because I want my 92s to get to the outstanding point of 37K rounds like yours and if I shouldn't be using the Mil-Tech grease I wanna know.

Feel free to tell me to pound sand. I won't turn it into a drawn out discussion at any rate.

Apologies for butting in: on a recent podcast with a lubricant expert, he recommended oil for firearms because it floats any particles away from friction areas. Grease tended to just grab abrasive particles and turn into a rubbing compound leading to increased wear. Sounded good to me. I don't have any firearms with enough rounds on them to prove this one way or another, but if I am not testing them for some reason or another I just keep them pretty wet with oil.

edit: found it: toward end, 30:20.

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/ballistic-radio/id703299846?i=1000445110478

Suvorov
10-21-2019, 11:11 AM
Thanks for an excellent write up. I don't have any Beretta's near that mark yet but have a couple with 10K+ through them. They look almost identical to yours in terms of internals wear so It seems once they wear in they tend to stay that way.

You mentioned replacing the locking block at 20K. Was this done preemptively or was it showing signs of fatigue? Was it one of the older squared off blocks or the newer models?

As for the lube debate - my answer is YES - lube is good.

Trooper224
10-21-2019, 11:13 AM

Honestly, it was out of convenience more than anything else. It's just easier for me to spend a few seconds squirting a few drops of oil here and there, than to mess with grease. Really nothing more complex than that. Back in the bronze age, during my servitude to Uncle Sugar, I occasionally found myself in locals with extreme climates, where different lubes were a must. Now, in plain old urban America it just doesn't seem to be a critical factor.

Trooper224
10-21-2019, 11:20 AM
Thanks for an excellent write up. I don't have any Beretta's near that mark yet but have a couple with 10K+ through them. They look almost identical to yours in terms of internals wear so It seems once they wear in they tend to stay that way.

You mentioned replacing the locking block at 20K. Was this done preemptively or was it showing signs of fatigue? Was it one of the older squared off blocks or the newer models?

This locking block was replaced as a regular maintenance step. I prefer not to let them go until they break, as that can potentially damage the frame. There was no sign of fatigue on the old one, which was of the latest design.

Hambo
10-21-2019, 01:53 PM

My Brig is over 30K and I'll tell you why I went back to oil from grease. Laziness. First I stopped cleaning it, then I quit disassembling it to lube it. Oil runs down the slide rails. Grease doesn't.

Now pound sand. ;)

JonInWA
10-21-2019, 01:56 PM
Apologies for butting in: on a recent podcast with a lubricant expert, he recommended oil for firearms because it floats any particles away from friction areas. Grease tended to just grab abrasive particles and turn into a rubbing compound leading to increased wear. Sounded good to me. I don't have any firearms with enough rounds on them to prove this one way or another, but if I am not testing them for some reason or another I just keep them pretty wet with oil.

edit: found it: toward end, 30:20.

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/ballistic-radio/id703299846?i=1000445110478

I'll kind of buy that, but I prefer grease over oil on metal-on-metal reciprocation points because 1) It doesn't migrate and/or evaporate, and 2) Because of Clobbersaurus' successful 2K report with Lucas Red "N" Tacky #2 grease a couple of years ago (although the last time he mentioned it, he encountered some grease-induced issues and had moved on-I haven't, with both metal- and polymer-framed guns, and have remained with it). I acknowledge the potential for abrasion via trapped particles, but clean my guns after use, and have found Wilson Combat's polymer Channel Cleaning Tool https://shopwilsoncombat.com/Channel-Cleaning-Tool/productinfo/718/to be particularly useful in removing sludge from slots, rails, lugs and channels.

Best, Jon

JonInWA
10-21-2019, 02:05 PM
Trooper224, great report-thanks for taking the time to submit and discuss. The 92 design is a triumph of materials, design and manufacturing over a potentially problem inducing relatively high number of components. The guns just work, and do so over protracted periods of time/roundcounts. They are lubrication intensive puppies, though, particularly when compared to contemporary polymer-framed pistols.

While a leather or horsehide holster will be easier on the Bruniton finish than a comparable kydex holster, in the long run you're gonna have wear induced by all. Arguably kydex is easier to clean and see/remove abrasive particles from, but the clash of metal on hard polymer is simply going to wear on the contact points more visibly in a shorter amount of time. A well-fitted/molded kydex can minimize to an extent, but if it's something you're OCD about regarding your gun's finish, stick with leather/horsehide.

The finish on mine's seemingly held up remarkably well after years of use in my Olen kydex holsters.
https://i.imgur.com/fZxjshel.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/hYhvZu5l.jpg

Best, Jon

Squib308
10-21-2019, 04:16 PM
Trooper224 congrats on getting this 92 to high round count. glad i'm reading about your experience and not covering your ammo bill

Trooper224
10-21-2019, 07:09 PM
Trooper224, great report-thanks for taking the time to submit and discuss. The 92 design is a triumph of materials, design and manufacturing over a potentially problem inducing relatively high number of components. The guns just work, and do so over protracted periods of time/roundcounts. They are lubrication intensive puppies, though, particularly when compared to contemporary polymer-framed pistols.

While a leather or horsehide holster will be easier on the Bruniton finish than a comparable kydex holster, in the long run you're gonna have wear induced by all. Arguably kydex is easier to clean and see/remove abrasive particles from, but the clash of metal on hard polymer is simply going to wear on the contact points more visibly in a shorter amount of time. A well-fitted/molded kydex can minimize to an extent, but if it's something you're OCD about regarding your gun's finish, stick with leather/horsehide.

The finish on mine's seemingly held up remarkably well after years of use in my Olen kydex holsters.
https://i.imgur.com/fZxjshel.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/hYhvZu5l.jpg

Best, Jon

I need that hat.

Trooper224
10-21-2019, 07:10 PM
Trooper224 congrats on getting this 92 to high round count. glad i'm reading about your experience and not covering your ammo bill

Thanks. Reloading keeps me going, which is what I need to be doing right now.

Totem Polar
10-21-2019, 10:46 PM
Possibly the coolest thread this month. That Beretta looks great.

As to lube, I once asked a guy with *extensive* experience what his unit used, and what he recommended. His reply: "You still drive that Mini S of yours? Just use the fresh synthetic off your dipstick, and keep training. It’s a Glock."
:D

ArgentFix
10-21-2019, 11:01 PM
I love threads like this that remind me why I subscribe here. You simply cannot get this quality of information anywhere else, much less a rational (ish), enjoyable discussion around it. Renewing immediately.

TheNewbie
10-21-2019, 11:19 PM
If Beretta releases new 92Ds, I don’t think I could resist.

Bucky
10-22-2019, 05:24 AM
Good to hear you finally got this gun broken in. ;)

JRB
10-22-2019, 06:52 AM
Did you consistently run any specific load(s) through that 37k+ round count? What a fantastic pistol!

As a Soldier that regularly runs M9 familiarization fire/qualification ranges, I've seen some seriously abused and neglected M9's still plugging away. I also regularly deal with Soldiers that blame the M9 for their lack of marksmanship and skill.
In one recent case, I stopped an LT that was using an already-abused M9 as a hammer, and about an hour later an O3 that could run a pistol shot a perfect qual with the exact same M9.

I have two (an authentic M9 and a 92FS Inox) and I regularly feel the itch to buy more of them. Wilsons, LTT's, an M9A3, I want them all!

JonInWA
10-22-2019, 03:37 PM
I need that hat.

http://timemachine13.com/m_43_caps_.htm (Brent makes superb M43 hats, but what's on his site are all that'll be, as medical issues forced him to stop making them-I've got about 5 of his; spray them with Scotchguard, and you've got a superb functional all weather cap).

For the Beretta patch: https://www.amazon.com/SNOW-Firearms-Collection-Quality-Beretta/dp/B07K87WRDR/ref=sr_1_5?keywords=Beretta+patch&qid=1571776469&sr=8-5

I do it for you, man!

Best, Jon

BigDaddy
10-22-2019, 07:19 PM
GREAT looking gun. I do not know that much about Berettas but I have an opportunity to pick a 92 up for 400.00 Good deal in your opinion? I am concerned about the sights. On the 92 that I might purchase the front sight looks like it's welded in or not designed to be removed. No after market tinkering with as it's brand new in box. What kind of sites are on your gun? How does one change that front sight?

spinmove_
10-22-2019, 07:24 PM
GREAT looking gun. I do not know that much about Berettas but I have an opportunity to pick a 92 up for 400.00 Good deal in your opinion? I am concerned about the sights. On the 92 that I might purchase the front sight looks like it's welded in or not designed to be removed. No after market tinkering with as it's brand new in box. What kind of sites are on your gun? How does one change that front sight?

On most standard 92s the front sight is integral to the slide. You don’t simply change it out. You can have it modified (add tritium or fiber) or even paint it, but that’s about it.

Trooper224
10-22-2019, 08:20 PM
Did you consistently run any specific load(s) through that 37k+ round count? What a fantastic pistol!

As a Soldier that regularly runs M9 familiarization fire/qualification ranges, I've seen some seriously abused and neglected M9's still plugging away. I also regularly deal with Soldiers that blame the M9 for their lack of marksmanship and skill.
In one recent case, I stopped an LT that was using an already-abused M9 as a hammer, and about an hour later an O3 that could run a pistol shot a perfect qual with the exact same M9.

I have two (an authentic M9 and a 92FS Inox) and I regularly feel the itch to buy more of them. Wilsons, LTT's, an M9A3, I want them all!

The vast majority of the ammunition run through this gun have been my standard handload: an 124 grain fmj bullet, over 5.9 grains of Alliant BE-86. This produces an average muzzle velocity of 1186 fps.

Trooper224
10-22-2019, 08:21 PM

As previously stated, the front sight on a standard 92 is integral to the slide. This gun is a slightly modified 92FS. The front sight is the standard affair, the rear sight is a Wilson Combat Battle sight. If it's in good shape, I'd be all over a 92 at that price.

BigDaddy
10-22-2019, 09:20 PM
Thanks. It's NIB, never been fired. I think I will buy it.

spinmove_
10-23-2019, 07:25 AM
Thanks. It's NIB, never been fired. I think I will buy it.

I wish I could find a 92FS NIB at that price. I’d scoop it immediately and make it my backup Production gun for USPSA.

Stony Lane
10-23-2019, 07:30 AM
92FS - NIB $429.00

https://shoot-straight.com/product/Beretta-92fs-js92f300m/

Inkwell 41
10-23-2019, 08:02 AM
92FS - NIB $429.00

Enabler...

spinmove_
10-23-2019, 08:25 AM
Tempting, but by the time I pay for shipping and transfer fee, I could have scooped a used unit that’s in really good condition for $499 locally. Honestly I’m about ready to do that soon.

parishioner
12-20-2022, 10:07 PM
92FS - NIB $429.00

Man what a bummer, same link shows a $250 price increase.

This thread delivers nonetheless.

Duelist
12-21-2022, 06:32 AM
Man what a bummer, same link shows a $250 price increase.

This thread delivers nonetheless.

Everything has gone up in price since 2019, unfortunately.

parishioner
12-21-2022, 10:56 AM
Everything has gone up in price since 2019, unfortunately.

True, this increase just seemed a little higher than average.

Trooper, any updates on this particular 92 since another 3 years have gone by?

Trooper224
12-21-2022, 05:26 PM
True, this increase just seemed a little higher than average.

Trooper, any updates on this particular 92 since another 3 years have gone by?

No updates of any significance. I lived with the 92 exclusively for a good two years plus. Then, I put it aside and went deep down the S&W 3rd gen rabbit hole for another two years with the 4506. I'm now back with the 1911 and shooting pretty much only .45acp, due to corona uprising reloading component issues.

This particular pistol sits at just over 40k rounds, without any issues. It currently resides in my nightstand as my primary HD weapon. I still have three of the five 92s I had, with no intention of selling any of them. I still consider the 92 one of the finest combat handguns ever made and have no doubt I'll return to it sometime in the future.