PDA

View Full Version : Differences in the Beretta 92 series pistols?

sparkyfender
10-20-2019, 09:06 AM
I just picked up an almost new Italian made 92fs, and was wondering if someone could point out the differences between it and the M9, etc.? They look very similar in online photos and descriptions.

Also for those that do carry a 92 concealed, recommend me some holsters? I was given a Blackhawk paddle holster to fit it, but I absolutely dislike it.

Thanks!!!!

LOKNLOD
10-20-2019, 09:15 AM
This one of the best summaries of the evolution of the 92/M9 guns:
https://www.luckygunner.com/lounge/guide-beretta-92/

I've only carried with a Keepers AIWB holster, and they're great in that application. Can't comment on other positions. Sounds like you're looking for strong side carry?

Edit to add:
There are some good pics of 92 variants in a Milt Sparks VM2 right in this recent post: https://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?38884-LTT-Centurion-and-Compact-92s&p=945104&viewfull=1#post945104
that's one of the holsters often considered a "known commodity" for strong-side IWB concealed carry.

Cory
10-20-2019, 09:31 AM
Welcome to the madness that is Beretta, and the awesomeness that is the 92.

There are very few Beretta 92 resources as complete as the one on Beretta Forum. https://berettaforum.net/vb/showthread.php?t=98238 While I'm not a very active poster on their forum, I do use there FAQ page a fair amount. Their community has a large amount of knowledge on 92s, and the FAQ is more or less peer reviewed by their community and checked against known information provided by Beretta. It's then gone over again by their forum staff prior to being included in the FAQ.

The differences between the M9 and 92FS:

The M9 usually has a straight dustcover and non-radiused backstrap (Contract Pistols will always be straight/straight)
The 92FS (recent model) has a radiused backstrap and angled dustcover
M9 markings (including proof markings and cage # markings)
M9 lacks the warning to read owner's manual
The rear sight of the 92FS has 2 dots, whereas the M9 has a single half-moon
M9 (unless special or limited edition) comes in cardboard box, with no plastic hard case

Direct link to post: https://berettaforum.net/vb/showpost.php?p=911411&postcount=3

It's also important to note there are different M9s. USGI M9s, Commercial M9s, General Officer M9s, the Langdon M9, and some others I'm sure. The M9s that were provided to the military early in it's service life are not identical to the ones that were provided (are being provided?) in more recent times. Older USGIs will have additional proof marks, and sometimes have additional marks on the hammer and other parts. More modern USGI M9s don't. Commercial M9s may have metal parts coated in polymer. Langdon M9s are different still, being essentially a commercial M9 with a functional upgrades spec'd by Langdon.

For the most part, M9s and 92FS are the same gun. You can largely think of them as the same. But, to some saying M9 when referencing an 92FS is a personal attack. As long as you don't used the dreaded M92A1 (a combination of 2 models that doesn't clear up which you mean, and isn't a model in existence) you'll be good. Whatever question you have about M9s, 92FS, or the 92 series in general, between the Beretta Forum FAQ and the above average informed posters here you should be able to find an answer.

-Cory

JSGlock34
10-20-2019, 09:50 AM
Depending on your point of view, the many permutations of the Beretta 92 are either fascinating or maddening. The good news right now is that Beretta is producing some of the best variants in its history, and is listening to customer feedback. Between the 92X series, the Langdon Tactical Elite models, and the Wilson Combat offerings, it's a great time for pizza guns.

JTQ
10-20-2019, 10:15 AM
The 92FS (recent model) has a radiused backstrap...
This is a small detail, but make a difference to me, and a feature I like.

Depending on your point of view, the many permutations of the Beretta 92 are either fascinating or maddening.
I've got to believe it is maddening for the holster makers taking into account for railed/not railed, square/round trigger guards, and Brigadier/standard slide variations that all seem as if they can be mixed and matched even from the factory. The straight/slanted dust cover has been mentioned, but I don't think that makes much difference for the holster makers, and is really more of a collectors kind of issue.

JSGlock34
10-20-2019, 01:45 PM
I've got to believe it is maddening for the holster makers taking into account for railed/not railed, square/round trigger guards, and Brigadier/standard slide variations that all seem as if they can be mixed and matched even from the factory. The straight/slanted dust cover has been mentioned, but I don't think that makes much difference for the holster makers, and is really more of a collectors kind of issue.

The holster issue is a legit one, further complicated by the 92A1/90TWO variations. I would have liked to see the 92X Performance use a Vertec slide to maintain a standard slide across the 92X series (and thus preserve holster compatibility).

Another is sights - the front dovetails are not common across the lineup. The good news is that the 92X (except for the previously mentioned Performance), M9A3, and LTT Elite models share the Vertec slide. We've long complained about the fixed front sight on the M9/92; now that we've got dovetailed front sights, I'd like to see manufacturers offer more sight options. A thin ProGlo or Trijicon HD XR front sight is long overdue for these models in my opinion.

jetfire
10-21-2019, 04:34 AM
Carrying a M9 every day, and also carrying a 92G when I'm not here and sometimes a 92 Compact, I have exactly one holster that I use for concealed carry: the Dark Star Gear AIWB holser. https://darkstargear.com/product/92orion/

If you use code "ratfink" at checkout you'll save 10% off your order. My 92G has a uboat on it, I use a Phlster Floodlight for that.

snow white
10-21-2019, 06:24 AM
Carrying a M9 every day, and also carrying a 92G when I'm not here and sometimes a 92 Compact, I have exactly one holster that I use for concealed carry: the Dark Star Gear AIWB holser. https://darkstargear.com/product/92orion/

If you use code "ratfink" at checkout you'll save 10% off your order. My 92G has a uboat on it, I use a Phlster Floodlight for that.

I use the same darkstar gear holster for my LTT and I love it, good to know the compact will work well in it as well. I did get the free JM holster with my preorder. I use a JM for my px4s and I love that holster as well. I think one for one, the jm is slightly more comfortable over a full day of use but I'd attribute that more to the gun than the holster.

Hambo
10-21-2019, 06:53 AM
I have a JMCK IWB 2 for Berettas, but I rarely use it anymore. I think it has 15-20 degree cant. If you go that route, email Tony and ask his advice.

sparkyfender
10-21-2019, 11:44 AM
Thanks to all for the replies!

They are helpful.......

Medusa
10-21-2019, 11:51 AM
I carry an LTT full-size, sometimes a 92 inox, in either a Kramer iwb3 (for strong side) or a jmck wing claw 2.5 (appendix). I will eventually have a Kramer iwb5 for appendix as well, just waiting for it to be made. I expect to use these for my Compact when it arrives.

john c
10-21-2019, 08:55 PM
Question I've always had about the original Beretta 92 pistol with the frame safety: Did the frame safety also decock the pistol? The Beretta 80 series pistols have this feature, and I've always wondered if the original 92 series also had it.

JSGlock34
10-21-2019, 09:00 PM
Question I've always had about the original Beretta 92 pistol with the frame safety: Did the frame safety also decock the pistol? The Beretta 80 series pistols have this feature, and I've always wondered if the original 92 series also had it.

No, the frame safety was not a decocker. The Taurus PT92 added a third position to the frame mounted safety for decocking in the 1990s.

john c
10-21-2019, 09:06 PM
JSGlock, thanks. Do you have any idea when the 80 series Berettas got that feature? I always thought that was the best safety system. But I never shot an 80 series Beretta, so I might be wrong on this.

JSGlock34
10-21-2019, 09:19 PM
JSGlock, thanks. Do you have any idea when the 80 series Berettas got that feature? I always thought that was the best safety system. But I never shot an 80 series Beretta, so I might be wrong on this.

Beretta Forum's FAQ is the place to go for the answers. Looks like 1988 with the introduction of the 81F.

https://92fs.net/FAQ/S81/S81%20Versions.jpg