PDA

View Full Version : Romeo 1 Pro

GJM
10-17-2019, 07:46 PM
Earlier in the year, Sig announced the Romeo 1 Pro. This optic is similar to the Romeo 1, except the footprint is advertised as being the same as the Delta Point Pro. Also they say they improved the mechanism that holds dot zero with their “TruHold™ Lockless Zeroing System,” increased brightness of the dot, and offer 3 and 6 moa dots.

Today, my wife and I received two of them. We bolted the first one onto one of her 320 X5 Legion pistols. It went on easily, and without an adapter plate, as the Legion is direct milled from the factory for a DP Pro footprint. The Romeo has a rear sight as part of its design, and it appears to pair well with the front sight on the Legion. This is it:

Next, I tried to install the Romeo on a Gen 4 Glock 34 with a MOS plate. It wouldn’t fit, and the reason is the MOS plate has bosses that interface with the DP Pro base, and the Romeo does not have those. See picture:

Next, I tried to install the Romeo on a Glock slide that was direct milled by Primary Machine. The Primary cut does not have bosses, and so I was optimistic the Romeo would fit. Unfortunately, the Romeo was larger enough dimensionally, it would not fit on that slide.

I plan to try the Romeo on an X Compact and see how that works. My wife pointed out, by way of compatibility, the DP Pro cover fits nicely on the Romeo. :p

modrecoil
10-17-2019, 09:42 PM
I look forward to hearing more about it. I know many disparage Romeo 1 but my experience is different. I have a first generation one riding atop a gen 5 G34. Been through three multi day classes and several matches without a single issue. More than I can say about my DPP. No, I haven't tried dropping it on concrete or racking it off tables.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

GJM
10-17-2019, 10:39 PM
I look forward to hearing more about it. I know many disparage Romeo 1 but my experience is different. I have a first generation one riding atop a gen 5 G34. Been through three multi day classes and several matches without a single issue. More than I can say about my DPP. No, I haven't tried dropping it on concrete or racking it off tables.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

What plate are you using?

Installed the second R1 Pro on an X Compact for my wife.

AMC
10-17-2019, 11:30 PM
Very much looking forward to hearing about your experience with this optic. How is the quality of the glass? The blue tint is supposed to be much less obvious with the Pro. Hearing rumors that this is also one of the optics that has passed LAPDs Pistol Mounted Optic testing.

LSP552
10-18-2019, 07:11 AM
Installed the second R1 Pro on an X Compact for my wife.

This is going to be the next blaster setup I buy. I love the feel of of the X Compact and have high hopes for the R1 Pro. Guess we will see.

modrecoil
10-18-2019, 08:27 AM
What plate are you using?

I bought a Romeo mounting kit for Glock.

Sig Sauer SOR1MK011 Romeo1 Handgun
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B076QCSKNF/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Wyoming Shooter
10-18-2019, 08:28 AM
I just mounted the Romeo 1 Pro on a Legion also. Only 100 rounds fired but, so far no issues. I have a Romeo 1 on a 320C with a couple thousand rounds fired. No problems with it either.

I haven't noticed any powder residue on the Pro from the Legion's LCI yet. I will keep an eye on that, pun intended. The Pro comes with a protective shroud that my 1 does not have.

I will update as round count increases.

HCM
10-18-2019, 11:34 AM
I bought a Romeo mounting kit for Glock.

Sig Sauer SOR1MK011 Romeo1 Handgun
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B076QCSKNF/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It is important to clarify that there are two different Romeo1 PRO models.

The Romeo1 PRO which is supposed to use the Leupold DPP footprint

And the Romeo1 T which is supposed to be the same improved /Gen3 sight with the proprietary Romeo footprint.

The kit you linked is for the Romeo footprint and likely will not work with the PRO.

HCM
10-18-2019, 11:37 AM
Earlier in the year, Sig announced the Romeo 1 Pro. This optic is similar to the Romeo 1, except the footprint is advertised as being the same as the Delta Point Pro. Also they say they improved the mechanism that holds dot zero with their “TruHold™ Lockless Zeroing System,” increased brightness of the dot, and offer 3 and 6 moa dots.

Today, my wife and I received two of them. We bolted the first one onto one of her 320 X5 Legion pistols. It went on easily, and without an adapter plate, as the Legion is direct milled from the factory for a DP Pro footprint. The Romeo has a rear sight as part of its design, and it appears to pair well with the front sight on the Legion. This is it:

Next, I tried to install the Romeo on a Gen 4 Glock 34 with a MOS plate. It wouldn’t fit, and the reason is the MOS plate has bosses that interface with the DP Pro base, and the Romeo does not have those. See picture:

Next, I tried to install the Romeo on a Glock slide that was direct milled by Primary Machine. The Primary cut does not have bosses, and so I was optimistic the Romeo would fit. Unfortunately, the Romeo was larger enough dimensionally, it would not fit on that slide.

I plan to try the Romeo on an X Compact and see how that works. My wife pointed out, by way of compatibility, the DP Pro cover fits nicely on the Romeo. :p

That sounds like a big FAIL for SIG. What the hell is the point of creating yet another proprietary footprint ?

modrecoil
10-18-2019, 12:02 PM
It is important to clarify that there are two different Romeo1 PRO models.

The Romeo1 PRO which is supposed to use the Leupold DPP footprint

And the Romeo1 T which is supposed to be the same improved /Gen3 sight with the proprietary Romeo footprint.

The kit you linked is for the Romeo footprint and likely will not work with the PRO.
Correct. As noted, my optic is gen 1 Romeo 1 and not the Pro.

LittleLebowski
10-18-2019, 12:41 PM
I can't even find these for sale yet.

ranger
10-18-2019, 05:15 PM

A NIB one is in the BENOS classifieds for $385 shipped.

HCM
10-18-2019, 05:27 PM

Impact guns, proven outfitters, and short round supply all have them or had them in stock recently

LSP552
10-19-2019, 10:11 AM
GJM

George, how does the standard height X-ray front on the X Compact work with the Pro? Thanks!

GJM
10-19-2019, 05:40 PM
GJM

George, how does the standard height X-ray front on the X Compact work with the Pro? Thanks!

Looks in the ball park but we haven’t shot it yet.

mmc45414
10-20-2019, 07:59 AM
Looks in the ball park but we haven’t shot it yet.
Whaaaaaat, you went two days with out shooting?!?!? :cool:

GJM
10-20-2019, 08:03 AM
Whaaaaaat, you went two days with out shooting?!?!? :cool:

My wife and I have been shooting, just no time for the X Compact yet. :p

GJM
10-21-2019, 07:29 AM
Ran into a problem. The screws that came with the Romeo 1 Pro worked perfectly to mount it to the 320 Legion. Those screws did not fit the X Compact, so I found some screws that came with a Springer Precision plate that seemed to work. At the range zeroing the optic, the X Compact would not extract. Apparently the screws were too long and interfering with the extractor spring. Will call Sig and Springer later on.

The built in rear sight on the X Compact looks like it will need a taller front sight that what came on the X Compact.

mmc45414
10-21-2019, 07:43 AM
Those screws did not fit the X Compact .. Will call Sig and Springer later on.
Obviously the manufacturers will connect you, but if you know what you need, or want to lay in a few sizes and extras, Fastenal online sells obscure stuff like little cap screws individually. Pretty sure McMaster and Granger and the Fasenal stores only sell boxes, but online Fasenal will sell one of something. Of course with shipping it ends up costing $3 a screw, but you don't need to spend $30 on a box.

https://www.fastenal.com/product/fasteners/sockets/flat-socket-cap-screws/600042?categoryId=600042&level=3&isExpanded=true

mmc45414
10-21-2019, 08:53 AM
Fasenal stores only sell boxes, but online Fasenal will sell one of something.
I also just remembered, I think if you are close to a store they will send it there for pickup, maybe without a shipping charge. I think I have done it both ways.

Crusader8207
11-18-2019, 11:16 PM
Ran into a problem. The screws that came with the Romeo 1 Pro worked perfectly to mount it to the 320 Legion. Those screws did not fit the X Compact, so I found some screws that came with a Springer Precision plate that seemed to work. At the range zeroing the optic, the X Compact would not extract. Apparently the screws were too long and interfering with the extractor spring. Will call Sig and Springer later on.

The built in rear sight on the X Compact looks like it will need a taller front sight that what came on the X Compact.

Have you found a front sight that works yet? I ran my X Compact with Romeo 1 Pro this weekend at a class and shot low as I was not able to cowitness the front Xray sight with the rear notch.

John Hearne
10-15-2020, 09:30 PM
Any updates on this? I'm leaning towards one of the new X Series slide with 6 MOA Romeo1 Pro's as my entry into the red dot world.

https://www.provenoutfitters.com/xseries-p320-slide-assembly-9mm-w/-romeo1pro-6moa-18527

HCM
10-15-2020, 09:37 PM
Any updates on this? I'm leaning towards one of the new X Series slide with 6 MOA Romeo1 Pro's as my entry into the red dot world.

https://www.provenoutfitters.com/xseries-p320-slide-assembly-9mm-w/-romeo1pro-6moa-18527

That particular optic is the one ICE SRT is running on the FDE P320F for our pilot program.

My understanding is they are coming up on a year and they have had no optics or mounting failures.

I just ran an RXP slide with a Romeo one pro through a two day modern samurai project class. Somewhere between 800 and 900 rounds in two days. No optics issues.

We are awaiting an authorized optics list for personally on duty weapons rumor is the Romeo1 PRO Will be one of the optics on the list. I believe it is also one of the three authorized optics for the LA County sheriffs office.

For those that want to put these on Glock MOS models. C&H precision has a Romeo1PRO to MOS v4 mounting plate.

GJM
10-15-2020, 10:14 PM
Sample of one, but my wife has a Romeo 1 Pro on a practice 320 Legion, and has about 5,000 rounds so far without issue. Smaller display than a SRO or Romeo 3 Max.

John Hearne
10-16-2020, 06:15 AM
Sample of one, but my wife has a Romeo 1 Pro on a practice 320 Legion, and has about 5,000 rounds so far without issue. Smaller display than a SRO or Romeo 3 Max.

Any thoughts on dot size?

BigT
10-16-2020, 06:56 AM

I'm not GJM nor do I play him on the internet, but I am firmly in the bigger dots are better (obviously withing reason) club. I would far rather have a 6MOA dot on a pistol that will be used dynamically than a small dot.

GJM
10-16-2020, 07:32 AM

On the R1 Pro, 6 for Comp and defense.

GJM
06-11-2021, 09:43 PM
Sage
https://youtu.be/3BBjnxYvZsQ

DMCutter
06-11-2021, 11:15 PM
I'm surprised at how positive that was after his original review of the Romeo 1. Anyone have the skinny on the new gen of ultra durable Sig optic he referred to at the end?

mmc45414
06-12-2021, 04:38 AM

I'm not GJM nor do I play him on the internet, but I am firmly in the bigger dots are better (obviously withing reason) club. I would far rather have a 6MOA dot on a pistol that will be used dynamically than a small dot.

On the R1 Pro, 6 for Comp and defense.
General question (not necessarily Romeo specific), does dot size have any impact on battery life? Is it a function of the size of the LED or something that is done optically?

John Hearne
06-12-2021, 05:24 AM
General question (not necessarily Romeo specific), does dot size have any impact on battery life? Is it a function of the size of the LED or something that is done optically?

Depends on the manufacturer. IIRC, a lot of folks use a larger diode and mask it to get the desired size dot. Aimpoint has incredible battery life because they actually bothered to create a physically smaller diode which uses a correspondingly smaller amount of electricity.

vcdgrips
06-12-2021, 11:28 AM
Where is the Romeo 1 pro made?

AMC
06-12-2021, 02:46 PM
I'm surprised at how positive that was after his original review of the Romeo 1. Anyone have the skinny on the new gen of ultra durable Sig optic he referred to at the end?

He was referring to the Romeo 2. It's a significantly more robust housing, that includes 2 "shrouds" that can be attached to the housing to increase durability. The larger one makes the Romeo 2 a closed emitter optic. I've seen and handled the optic, including to test holster compatibility (it fits a Blackhawk T Series RDS holster perfectly), but haven't had the chance to do any shooting with it. Supposedly 20,000+ hr battery life, I believe. From the info I received, they are happy with the sight as is, but weren't 100% on the mounting solution. Issues with the supplied screws or some such, which was causing the delay in release.

HCM
06-12-2021, 03:14 PM
Where is the Romeo 1 pro made?

China, though production is supposed to shift (or have shifted) to SIG’s new production facility in that other bastion of Communism, Oregon.

The new OR factory is supposed to be marking the new Romeo 2 and the various Army LPVO optics as well. However, I suspect the components for the R1P will still be sourced “elsewhere.”

When SIG got a contract to supply 4M carbine optics to the FBI they had them made “overseas” as parts kits and then subcontracted a Silicon Valley firm to “assemble” them in the USA. The optics were marked “Designed in Oregon, Assembled in USA” …….

Archer1440
06-12-2021, 04:08 PM
This article from this past March has a bit more information, and says some specifics concerning the component sources.

It specifically mentioned there are no components of Chinese origin.

MSRP is mentioned at $780, so at that price the promises being made had better prove real.

https://www.gunsandammo.com/editorial/sig-sauer-romeo2-red-dot-optic/389187

HCM
06-12-2021, 04:45 PM
This article from this past March has a bit more information, and says some specifics concerning the component sources.

It specifically mentioned there are no components of Chinese origin.

MSRP is mentioned at $780, so at that price the promises being made had better prove real.

https://www.gunsandammo.com/editorial/sig-sauer-romeo2-red-dot-optic/389187

To clarify you are posting about the new Romeo 2, not the Romeo1PRO.

PS: I don’t ow who I trust less, Guns and Ammo or SIG.

GJM
06-12-2021, 05:08 PM

HCM
06-12-2021, 07:15 PM

Assembled in the Philippines with parts from where ? 3 guesses.

GJM
06-12-2021, 07:23 PM
China, though production is supposed to shift (or have shifted) to SIG’s new production facility in that other bastion of Communism, Oregon.

The new OR factory is supposed to be marking the new Romeo 2 and the various Army LPVO optics as well. However, I suspect the components for the R1P will still be sourced “elsewhere.”

When SIG got a contract to supply 4M carbine optics to the FBI they had them made “overseas” as parts kits and then subcontracted a Silicon Valley firm to “assemble” them in the USA. The optics were marked “Designed in Oregon, Assembled in USA” …….

I am curious, what is the source of your information suggesting the Romeo 1 Pro is made in China? The Romeo 3 Max and 3XL, for example, are made in Japan, reportedly by the same factory that makes the RTS2 for C More.

HCM
06-12-2021, 08:33 PM
I am curious, what is the source of your information suggesting the Romeo 1 Pro is made in China? The Romeo 3 Max and 3XL, for example, are made in Japan, reportedly by the same factory that makes the RTS2 for C More.

They’re not bullshitting about design and assembly locations because the components are made is the USA.

If it was made in Japan or the PI they would say so.

There are economic advantages to making something look like it comes from a friendly nation vs a pseudo enemy like China.

Archer1440
06-12-2021, 09:00 PM
To clarify you are posting about the new Romeo 2, not the Romeo1PRO.

PS: I don’t ow who I trust less, Guns and Ammo or SIG.

Yes, thank you for the clarification. I was responding to a post above mine and should have been more clear.

And I nearly said the same things about G&A and SIG, but bit my keyboard tongue on that matter…

pseudo enemy like China.

Pseudo? One might revisit the definition.

https://news.gallup.com/poll/337457/new-high-perceptions-china-greatest-enemy.aspx

HeavyDuty
06-19-2021, 09:44 PM
I unexpectedly picked up a new X5 Legion today. Is the Romeo1 Pro still a good choice for these? Will I need to replace the front sight to cowitness?

HeavyDuty
06-24-2021, 03:56 PM
Anyone?

GJM
06-24-2021, 04:08 PM
Anyone?

My wife has one Legion slide set up with a R1 Pro and uses the front FO sight that came on the slide with the notch on the R1 Pro. It is OK, but most people would choose a Romeo 3 Max/XL or SRO for gaming. Another option to avoid using a plate is a new 6 moa DP Pro.

GJM
06-24-2021, 04:10 PM
PS, the R1Pro dot doesn't do great in low sun angles, where the R3 Max is best in class. I can only assume the R3 Max and XL have different lens coatings.

HeavyDuty
06-24-2021, 08:23 PM
My wife has one Legion slide set up with a R1 Pro and uses the front FO sight that came on the slide with the notch on the R1 Pro. It is OK, but most people would choose a Romeo 3 Max/XL or SRO for gaming. Another option to avoid using a plate is a new 6 moa DP Pro.

PS, the R1Pro dot doesn't do great in low sun angles, where the R3 Max is best in class. I can only assume the R3 Max and XL have different lens coatings.

I’m guessing the Romeo3s would require milling and suppressor height sights on the Legion?

GJM
06-24-2021, 08:33 PM
I’m guessing the Romeo3s would require milling and suppressor height sights on the Legion?

I do not know anyone that runs BUIS with a R3 Max. Springer makes a plate to mount the R3 Max on the Legion.

H&K
07-09-2021, 07:07 PM
Do you guys think that the R1Pro is a viable option for range and HD use especially for a low-speed, high drag person? It won't be dropped from 6ft height nor rolled in mud. I am asking for a friend.:o:D My said friend can get it for cheap as it is a take-off from a brand new 320 that was replaced with an RMR.

HCM
07-09-2021, 07:13 PM
Do you guys think that the R1Pro is a viable option for range and HD use especially for a low-speed, high drag person? It won't be dropped from 6ft height nor rolled in mud. I am asking for a friend.:o:D

Yes. The Delaware State police do too. They are issuing all 700 some-odd of their Troopers a 320 with a factory mounted R1P. They are also issued by SRT team for US ICE and authorized by many state and local agencies including Phoenix PD and LASD.

GJM
07-09-2021, 07:14 PM
Do you guys think that the R1Pro is a viable option for range and HD use especially for a low-speed, high drag person? It won't be dropped from 6ft height nor rolled in mud. I am asking for a friend.:o:D My said friend can get it for cheap as it is a take-off from a brand new 320 that was replaced with an RMR.

Yes. It has a great looking dot, large display, clear glass, top loading battery, and intuitive controls.

OldRunner/CSAT Neighbor
07-10-2021, 02:37 PM
Yes. It has a great looking dot, large display, clear glass, top loading battery, and intuitive controls.

Per GJM I came w/ in a hair of buying an R1Pro for another CORE but ended up moving a 2nd SRO to it & replacing it w/ a new gen DPP for a Stacatto.

No plate needed w/ the DPP & *maybe* the upgraded batt contacts issue was resolved, now if only our friend Lafe could get my 2nd Vice to me, 8 weeks shortly but it's a VG holster so .......

Dave Williams
07-10-2021, 04:25 PM
2nd Vice to me, 8 weeks shortly but it's a VG holster so .......

What is the rationale of the Vice holster? I know it's popular, but I've never felt the need to lock the gun in the holster, what am I missing?

OldRunner/CSAT Neighbor
07-10-2021, 04:31 PM
What is the rationale of the Vice holster? I know it's popular, but I've never felt the need to lock the gun in the holster, what am I missing?

Sample of 1 Dave but I shoot 3G, USPSA + some ROing & like knowing when my blaster is latched it’s not going anywhere regardless of my movement.

HeavyDuty
09-21-2021, 05:28 PM
I’ve been watching for a decent price on a Romeo1Pro for my X5 Legion, and finally found one. 3 MOA on the way, I hope I can use the OEM front sight for ease. The rear sight plate may move over to my M-18.

HeavyDuty
09-25-2021, 10:38 AM
It’s here. I’m a little surprised at the mounting torque specs - 30 inch-pounds. Are people following that? And are y’all using the metal hood?

Bernomad
04-06-2022, 05:33 PM
I suppose I’m a little late to the Romeo party, but I finally got one mounted on my pistol. So far so good. I just got it sighted in. It’ll take a little getting used to. I’ve never shot pistol with a red dot. Im working on it though. 8706387064

cyberiad
04-07-2022, 01:18 PM
I just put an R1Pro on my PX4 today. The PX4 has the 'v1' LTT MOS cut, not the newer one. I used the MOS-to-R1P plate from Sig. I did torque to 28-30 inch pounds as stated in the manual and did not use any loctite or VC3. There is a small amount of thread locker on the screws that came with the plate but I didn't add any. I mounted it with the shroud just because I already had one. It's a relatively tall optic but I do like the hefty screws that are used to mount it; they definitely aren't tiny 4-40s.

MDFA
12-31-2022, 05:52 PM
Received my Romeo 1 Pro today and mounted it with the shroud to my M17. I added a bit of locktite to what was already on the screws and torqued them to 30 inch pounds. I like the supplied screws much better than the usual one's you get. I got the 6 moa version which is an improvement for my astigmatism over 2.5 or 3 moa sights. Hopefully hitting the range tomorrow.

MDFA
01-02-2023, 04:17 PM
Received my Romeo 1 Pro today and mounted it with the shroud to my M17. I added a bit of locktite to what was already on the screws and torqued them to 30 inch pounds. I like the supplied screws much better than the usual one's you get. I got the 6 moa version which is an improvement for my astigmatism over 2.5 or 3 moa sights. Hopefully hitting the range tomorrow.

Finished the pistol, Wilson Combat Grip Module and extended slide release. Romeo 1 Pro and a Sig Flat Trigger. Streamlight TLR1HL. And an Ameriglo 260 Front Sight. It will align with the rear sight notch in the Romeo 1 Pro for a BUIS, but it is out of sight when I use the Dot, which I really like as it cuts down on clutter. All I need to do is raise the muzzle slightly to use it.

The target is getting it dialed in and then shooting at 15 and 25 yards today.