PDA

View Full Version : NEW RUGER BLACKHAWK "CARRYHAWK"

RONK
10-15-2019, 03:38 PM
http://www.taloinc.com/ruger-firearms/new-model-blackhawk-0477-wileys-carryhawk

A new revolver from Ruger,looks neat.Release date is 10/20/19

mtnbkr
10-15-2019, 03:56 PM
I'm not in the market for another gun, but that is pretty nifty.

Chris

Totem Polar
10-15-2019, 04:13 PM
Dammit. *Another* gun that will have to dissappear into WA state’s byzantine background check apparatus. I am so in on this.

oregon45
10-15-2019, 04:25 PM
An interesting combination of features. I would have preferred a Bisley hammer to the Super Blackhawk hammer but it is nice to have the lowered hammer spur. The birdshead grip looks cool but with heavy loads I suspect quite a few people will find the hammer spur biting their wrists. The birdshead is great for fast handling and concealment but I wouldn't want to fire anything heavier than a mid-range 45 Colt with it. Should be fine with standard 45 ACP.

JAD
10-15-2019, 04:36 PM
If it is indeed used as a self defense tool, on purpose, a fairly light .45 Colt load should be an asskicker. I'm not sure I could talk myself into it, but hell, there are people running around out there with .380s.

Totem Polar
10-15-2019, 04:37 PM
An interesting combination of features. I would have preferred a Bisley hammer to the Super Blackhawk hammer but it is nice to have the lowered hammer spur. The birdshead grip looks cool but with heavy loads I suspect quite a few people will find the hammer spur biting their wrists. The birdshead is great for fast handling and concealment but I wouldn't want to fire anything heavier than a mid-range 45 Colt with it. Should be fine with standard 45 ACP.

Agreed. It’s a cool and unusual plinker/garbage disposal for cheap .45 acp ammo with great sights for the aging SA wheelie fan.

Which I can totally get behind. :cool:

willie
10-15-2019, 06:40 PM
Of course, I like the new Ruger but must point out that it is still a big heavy handgun. Why not a 3 inch barrel version with fixed sights. Why not a fluted cylinder to reduce weight and an aluminum grip frame to reduce it further?

oregon45
10-15-2019, 06:47 PM
Of course, I like the new Ruger but must point out that it is still a big heavy handgun. Why not a 3 inch barrel version with fixed sights. Why not a fluted cylinder to reduce weight and an aluminum grip frame to reduce it further?

Because, except for the aluminum grip frame (which has never been made in the birdshead configuration) Ruger already does make that gun, albeit with a 3.75" barrel:

https://www.ruger.com/products/vaqueroBlued/specSheets/5154.html

Edster
10-15-2019, 07:16 PM
I was checking in on a forum last night where they were declaring the 12-gauge shotgun totally surpassed and rendered useless by the carbine in all respects.

I come here and folks are excited about a single-action carry revolver.

:cool:

Lost River
10-15-2019, 07:18 PM

I did one similar, with an aluminum GF a few years back. Fun ACP launcher.

http://i.imgur.com/pZuixND.jpg (https://imgur.com/pZuixND)

willie
10-15-2019, 07:23 PM
Because, except for the aluminum grip frame (which has never been made in the birdshead configuration) Ruger already does make that gun, albeit with a 3.75" barrel:

That's the one I want. Right there. Gimme. Gimme

HeavyDuty
10-15-2019, 07:30 PM

I have a 5153, the stainless version of that gun. It’s delightful.

OlongJohnson
10-15-2019, 07:36 PM
I was checking in on a forum last night where they were declaring the 12-gauge shotgun totally surpassed and rendered useless by the carbine in all respects.

We have that thread, too. (https://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?38348-Shotguns-vs-rifles)

We are your everything.

RONK
10-15-2019, 09:01 PM
I'm glad you all are interested in it!Any suggestions on appropriate leather for it?

Joe in PNG
10-15-2019, 11:35 PM
We do love our hokey religions and ancient weapons.

L-2
10-15-2019, 11:41 PM
I'm glad you all are interested in it!Any suggestions on appropriate leather for it?

You might give Mernickle a call and narrow-down your wants/needs/requirements for a holster/holsters.
https://www.mernickleholsters.com/products/c23-conceal-carry-performance-series/

jetfire
10-16-2019, 03:42 AM
If they made this thing in a .44 Special I would be all over it, because then it would match my existing calibers.

Okay who am I kidding I’m all over it anyway.

RONK
10-16-2019, 05:57 AM
L-2,thanks.I just thought of Simply Rugged Holsters.

mtnbkr
10-16-2019, 06:04 AM
If they made this thing in a .44 Special I would be all over it, because then it would match my existing calibers.

Okay who am I kidding I’m all over it anyway.

I bet a 44 special version is in the works. Anything Ruger puts out in 44spec is an instant classic. Those SA guys are bonkers for 44. :)

I'd be ok with either caliber since I can load either (I don't currently have a 44special, but all I'd need are cases but I have bullets, powder, and primers suitable for it).

Chris

BehindBlueI's
10-16-2019, 07:55 AM
I guess I don't get the attraction to a hybrid of cowboy romanticism and modern carry revolver.

okie john
10-16-2019, 07:57 AM
I'm not sure I could talk myself into it, but hell, there are people running around out there with .380s.

Sig line material, sir.

Okie John

okie john
10-16-2019, 08:07 AM
I guess I don't get the attraction to a hybrid of cowboy romanticism and modern carry revolver.

Right there with you on that. I'm all about 4" big-bore revolvers, but choosing SA over DA for carry seems like a giant step backwards.

I predict that it will sell like hotcakes.

Okie John

spinmove_
10-16-2019, 08:14 AM
Right there with you on that. I'm all about 4" big-bore revolvers, but choosing SA over DA for carry seems like a giant step backwards.

I predict that it will sell like hotcakes.

Okie John

I’m kinda there with you. I mean, I get that the concept is cool and all, but who is really going to be carrying this when and where?

Full disclosure: I don’t currently own a SA wheelgun. But I do plan on getting one at some point down the road because: why the hell not?

ralph
10-16-2019, 09:21 AM
I’m kinda there with you. I mean, I get that the concept is cool and all, but who is really going to be carrying this when and where?

Full disclosure: I don’t currently own a SA wheelgun. But I do plan on getting one at some point down the road because: why the hell not?

Exactly, I have a Vaquero in stainless with a a 3 3/4”bbl, birdshead grip, in .45 acp. I have no illusions about carrying it, but it is a absolute blast to shoot, and considering the sights, it’s pretty dammed accurate. They’re great for taking a break from the tactical Timmy stuff, and just having some honest fun..everybody should have at least one.

mtnbkr
10-16-2019, 09:45 AM
In terms of carry, I think it's mostly used as a backcountry carry tool and not an urban carry tool, though I'm sure there are SA fans who do so "just because".

Chris

Tennessee Jed
10-16-2019, 10:05 AM
In terms of carry, I think it's mostly used as a backcountry carry tool and not an urban carry tool, though I'm sure there are SA fans who do so "just because".

Chris

Yup. Guilty. I'm a nostalgic goofball with an uncontrollable lust for cowboy-ish guns, who knows better. I don't carry this Ruger Blackhawk New Model Flat Top 45 convertible very often. But every once in a very great while, I just gotta. And that new Blackhawk is like a freaking tractor beam straight to my wallet.

Poconnor
10-16-2019, 10:13 AM
We had an older officer qualify with a Ruger blackhawk with a birds head grip in 44 acp awhile back. He used to carry it to court. I wouldn’t do it every day but I can see carrying one now that I’m retired. I’m sure it’s speed is not that far off a double action revolver for first round hits. Of course it would take skill and practice. I wish they had done it on a regular flat top blackhawk and used a D&L rear sight. But that’s okay. I plan on doing just that soon. I remember getting a Thad Rybka catalog a long time ago and he had a 45 acp blackhawk pictured with a 1911 mag for a speed loader/ ammo holder

Duelist
10-16-2019, 10:25 AM
We had an older officer qualify with a Ruger blackhawk with a birds head grip in 44 acp awhile back. He used to carry it to court. I wouldn’t do it every day but I can see carrying one now that I’m retired. I’m sure it’s speed is not that far off a double action revolver for first round hits. Of course it would take skill and practice. I wish they had done it on a regular flat top blackhawk and used a D&L rear sight. But that’s okay. I plan on doing just that soon. I remember getting a Thad Rybka catalog a long time ago and he had a 45 acp blackhawk pictured with a 1911 mag for a speed loader/ ammo holder

See post 26: apparently, the good idea fairy thinks that “magazine as speed loader” idea needs to get around to as many people as are gonna even think about carrying a .45 ACP single action revolver.

HeavyDuty
10-16-2019, 10:26 AM

Chris

That’s all mine is - a woods gun, along with my S&W 69.

Totem Polar
10-16-2019, 10:39 AM
Exactly, I have a Vaquero in stainless with a a 3 3/4”bbl, birdshead grip, in .45 acp. I have no illusions about carrying it, but it is a absolute blast to shoot, and considering the sights, it’s pretty dammed accurate. They’re great for taking a break from the tactical Timmy stuff, and just having some honest fun..everybody should have at least one.

This. For sure, all of this.

And, I have indeed "mexican" carried an SA blackhawk before... to the range (with some regularity), and to the campground bathroom (not as much as I’d like, sadly). OMMV.

Rex G
10-16-2019, 10:45 AM
A Single-Action sixgun is the perfect accessory for the practice of shinrin-yoku. :D

https://qz.com/804022/health-benefits-japanese-forest-bathing/

Totem Polar
10-16-2019, 10:51 AM
A Single-Action sixgun is the perfect accessory for the practice of shinrin-yoku. :D

Heh. Right on.

Totem Polar
10-16-2019, 11:05 AM
https://pistol-forum.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=30589&stc=1&d=1537637753

Hambo
10-16-2019, 11:18 AM

That shit doesn't fly in gator country.

I like this one more than the Talo.

Rex G
10-16-2019, 11:35 AM
That shit doesn't fly in gator country.

I like this one more than the Talo.

Tree gators?

Edited to add: Well, OK; just don’t choose Bald Cypress and Water Tupelo tress. ;)

Rex G
10-16-2019, 11:39 AM
Heh. Right on.

Yep, who’d a thunk? In the Sixties and Seventies, runnin’ around barefoot in the SE Texas woods, I was inventing, or really re-inventing, something that the Japanese would discover, and name, in the Eighties?

JonInWA
10-16-2019, 11:47 AM
My understanding is that barefoot and timber rattlers aren't necessarily a good combination, but hey, what do I know??

Best, Jon

JonInWA
10-16-2019, 11:59 AM

Some things under the harsh objective light of reality simply don't make a lot of sense. While I have, and tremendously enjoy my stainless Ruger Blackhawk with a 4.6" barrel and tuned action, while hunting this year, I carried either my Glock G21 or G22, with Underwood Lehigh ammunition. I had the Blackhawk (and carried it while doing some semi-rural hikes with my wife before the hunting weekend), objectively it was tough to select it over the Glocks for defensive back-up carry, given the convenience, weight, action simplicity, and weather imperviousness of the Glocks(my primary hunting implement this year were rifles).

But I still like and appreciate the Blackhawk. I don't feel under-armed with it in most scenarios where I'd carry it (wilderness hiking, hunting), but it probably makes more sense as a primary choice for handgun hunting (in my case, deer) than for defensive back-up (against black bear, mountain lion, feral dogs in my area). The last times I hunted with it, I also concurrently carried one of the Glocks in a tactical thigh holster as a defensive back-up.

Single-action revolvers for me are a compendium of nostalgia, challenge, appreciation of a well-executed gun, and just plain fun. Sometimes we're entitled to that...

Best, Jon

mtnbkr
10-16-2019, 12:00 PM
Yep, who’d a thunk? In the Sixties and Seventies, runnin’ around barefoot in the SE Texas woods, I was inventing, or really re-inventing, something that the Japanese would discover, and name, in the Eighties?

NC and TN here, but yeah.

Though, we did have water moccasins and snapping turtles in NC and rattlesnakes in TN, so it wasn't all lighthearted. ;)

Chris

Rex G
10-16-2019, 12:23 PM
My understanding is that barefoot and timber rattlers aren't necessarily a good combination, but hey, what do I know??

Best, Jon

Western Diamondback, Water Moccasin, and Copperhead, here, plus ‘gators and snappin’ turtles. We kept some well-worn trails, and waded in the shallower sections of Slap-Out Gully; watch where ya step.

Just before I started sixth grade, I became sensitive to poison ivy, which ended the care-free days.

Totem Polar
10-16-2019, 12:28 PM
I dunno... here in WA/ID, savvy woodland kids learned quickly that pants are optional, but shoes/boots are not. JMO.

(As an side, there is a small coterie of business owners, educators, and artists hereabouts who greet each other in random moments about town with: “hey, I've seen you naked..." as sort of a secret handshake. Believe me, you can get more done with hot springs, whiskey and danner or white’s boots than with hot springs and whiskey alone. Or so I’ve heard.)

BehindBlueI's
10-16-2019, 02:17 PM
Single-action revolvers for me are a compendium of nostalgia, challenge, appreciation of a well-executed gun, and just plain fun. Sometimes we're entitled to that...

Best, Jon

I get that. That's why I don't get the appeal of this hybrid. It ruins the nostalgia factor to me, the romantic cowboy factor is gone with the modern hussy fittings. It seems the worst of both worlds, IMO, though I'm not going to yell 'your fun is wrong' if you like it.

Hizzie
10-16-2019, 03:27 PM
I dig it. I’d even carry it.

farscott
10-16-2019, 04:25 PM
For those of us not current on Ruger Blackhawk models, this one appears to have the regular "New Model Blackhawk" frame that can handle "Ruger Only" loads. Is that correct?

Is there any definitive information on the grip frame material? It is carbon steel or aluminum alloy? I cannot find any information that provides a definitive answer, including ad copy describing the grip frame or weight. I notice the barrel is slab-sided so I do not understand why the cylinder is not fluted and provided with a front cylinder radius to make holstering easier on holsters.

Rick R
10-16-2019, 04:26 PM
There are a bunch of guys in the south west who think that a Colt SAA loaded with five rounds is just dandy for social carry. The Ruger system that allows safely carrying six rounds is “new fangled” tech to them. They try not to get more than two or three bad guys mad at them simultaneously. ;)

My paws don’t work well with plowshare or birds-head handles or I’d be interested in one of these.

Lester Polfus
10-16-2019, 04:39 PM
For those of us not current on Ruger Blackhawk models, this one appears to have the regular "New Model Blackhawk" frame that can handle "Ruger Only" loads. Is that correct?

Is there any definitive information on the grip frame material? It is carbon steel or aluminum alloy? I cannot find any information that provides a definitive answer, including ad copy describing the grip frame or weight. I notice the barrel is slab-sided so I do not understand why the cylinder is not fluted and provided with a front cylinder radius to make holstering easier on holsters.

It's a curious combination of features.

It does appear to be built on the large Blackhawk frame, so it should handle "Ruger Only" .45 Long Colt loads. Given the size of the grip, this will likely result in a front sight shaped laceration in more than one forehead.

I'm fairly convinced that Mr. Clapp's version of the SP101 will be the next gun I buy, and there's a decent chance his take on the GP100 will be the one after that. The combination of features on this one is just giving me a German Shepherd-esque head tilt.

oregon45
10-16-2019, 04:50 PM
I was looking forward to a Wiley Clapp Single Action, unfortunately the bird's head grip on this one takes it out of the running for me. Here's what I was hoping for:

Ruger Flattop frame
45 ACP
4" barrel (with 45 ACP only you can get away with a shorter barrel and ejector rod)
Aluminum XR-3 grip frame--this would be a first for Ruger in the New Model Flattop's. I have an original Flattop 44 Magnum with the alloy XR3 grip and it is a wonderfully balanced, fast-handling gun. Ruger needs to bring back this grip frame.
Bisley hammer
Novak rear sight dovetail, with "ledge" style fixed sight, wide notch, rear serrated
Gold bead front sight, height calculated to 230gr 45 ACP factory hard ball

All within Ruger's manufacturing capabilities, and would make for a uniquely useful sixgun. What they have produced is the first impractical Wiley Clapp signature model.

rd62
10-16-2019, 08:12 PM
I get that. That's why I don't get the appeal of this hybrid. It ruins the nostalgia factor to me, the romantic cowboy factor is gone with the modern hussy fittings. It seems the worst of both worlds, IMO, though I'm not going to yell 'your fun is wrong' if you like it.

I'd like this post more than once if I could. My best to those that like it but I couldn't agree with you more!

Totem Polar
10-16-2019, 08:37 PM
When you get down to it, all the "modern" features are pretty normal custom touches in the sixgun world: birdshead grip, matte finish, quaisi-octagon slab-sided barrel... really, only the XS big dot sights even remotely tick the unusual box, and thanks be to baby Keanu for those. JMO, OMMV.

Totem Polar
10-16-2019, 11:42 PM
MSRP:

Rex G
10-17-2019, 02:32 AM
For anyone not liking this new bird’s-head sixgun, well, there have been plenty of convertible .45 ACP/.45 Colt Bisleys and Blackhawks made. My wife more-or-less claimed my stainless Bisley convertible, and I have been wondering whether to buy another, for a while.

RevolverRob
10-17-2019, 05:07 AM
I dig it. I’d even carry it.

Yes, but you are a well known blasphemer.

Whirlwind06
10-17-2019, 05:54 AM
I kind of like it.
I'm currently involved in target shooting leagues and have been using a Glock 41.
I could see this as nice alternative and I would have to pick up brass :)
As long as I would be able to change out the front sight.

Whirlwind06
10-17-2019, 08:30 AM
I kind of like it.
I'm currently involved in target shooting leagues and have been using a Glock 41.
I could see this as nice alternative and I would not have to pick up brass :)
As long as I would be able to change out the front sight.

I could see this as nice alternative and I would not have to pick up brass :)

Tennessee Jed
10-17-2019, 09:30 AM
And even if you drop a case or two, those huge 45 Colt cases are very easy to find on the ground, even among a pile of 9mm cases.

JonInWA
10-17-2019, 11:41 AM

Thinking "Steampunk"....to define the niche, maybe?

The good thing about these modern Rugers is that you can actually take them places, use them, and not inordinately worry if they pick up some wear and scars in the process. And they're built to take both what you and other Nature can dish out, and the decent adjustable sights are a huge plus in actual use.

Best, Jon

03RN
10-17-2019, 12:11 PM

Hmmmmm, I see the irony.

03RN
10-17-2019, 12:59 PM
I've carried my AL framed Blackhawk before. Quite honestly I'm pretty happy with 6 rounds of 250 xtps or swc @900-1200fps.

I don't really like birdshead grips though

JonInWA
10-17-2019, 01:08 PM
Use of a magazine as a single-action speedloader (ok, we'll be realistic: A not so slow loader...) is an underrated technique. For 9mm and .45 ACP, things are pretty straightfoward: Simply use a standard magazine; I suspect that for .45 ACP, a 7 rounder is ideal due to lower spring tension, but using an extended tube 8-10 rounder shouldn't be a onerous difficulty; for 38 Special/.357 Magnum, I've successfully experimented with Desert Eagle magazines, cutting down the spring until there's sufficient tension to push up and hold 6 rounds-they're much easier to flick the cartridges into the loading gate that way.

Using semi-auto magazines as SA loading devices is a bit of an acquired skill, but I think it's a much better way to carry and load spare SA cartridges. I've experimented with loading tubes (PVC sprinkler tubing capped on at least on end, dumped into the cylinder while rotating the cylinder) Neoprene "Speed Stars" (like a Binachi Speed Strip, only star-shaped, and holding 5 rounds), dump pouches, belt slides with cartridge loops, etc. In my opinion, the magazine route is the best, providing reasonable loading speeds, cartridge protection, and ease of carry/storage.

I've been trying to convince Check-Mate for years that there's a market pool for them out there; just minor tweaking, if any would be all that seemingly would be required. Could be a nice co-branding opportunity as well. To date, no one's congratulated me on my market acumen...

Best, Jon

Dave T
10-17-2019, 02:38 PM
Every time I've come across a discussion of single action revolvers as defensive/carry weapons certain responses always come up. For example:

The New Model Ruger is always recommended over the old 3-screw Blackhawks or traditional SAAs from Colt and its copies, for the advantage of 6 rounds over 5. Yet many of these same people will freely admit to carrying J-frames or LCRs with only 5-rouinds of 38 Specials. Some how five rounds of 45 Colt just doesn't measure up in their estimation. (smile)

And eventually the discussion will get to reloading, as this one has. Yes, a SA chambered for 45 ACP can be loaded faster with a semi-auto magazine, but really...it takes so bloody long to eject the empties from a SA, reloading is more of an after though, or a matter of topping off so you're not standing around with an empty gun in your hands. And based on oft quoted stats for defensive shootings, they're over in 1-3 rounds fired. If 5 rounds of 45 Colt (or even 45 ACP) didn't solve the problem, you have a much bigger problem than how fast you can reload will solve. (smile again)

Qualifier: If you aren't very well practiced in the manual of arms, manipulation and shooting of your single action revolver...don't even think of carrying it except for fun at the range or in the woods, mountains, or desert.

Dave

Totem Polar
10-17-2019, 09:56 PM
Hmmmmm, I see the irony.

You usually do, my well-read friend. :)

As to SA wheelies, and actual defensive use, capacity and reload speed is the least of my concerns. Single-handed use in a FUT, or low light scenario... that is a different issue.

I agree that 225+ grains at 1000+fps in .44 or .45 will probably pass muster.... if one can access it.

(Truth be told, for woods bumming, my favorite set up is a flattop/medium BH in .44spec or .357, backed up by something like a G42 AIWB. I’ve actually done that.)

BehindBlueI's
10-18-2019, 09:38 AM
Every time I've come across a discussion of single action revolvers as defensive/carry weapons certain responses always come up. For example:

The New Model Ruger is always recommended over the old 3-screw Blackhawks or traditional SAAs from Colt and its copies, for the advantage of 6 rounds over 5. Yet many of these same people will freely admit to carrying J-frames or LCRs with only 5-rouinds of 38 Specials. Some how five rounds of 45 Colt just doesn't measure up in their estimation. (smile)

And eventually the discussion will get to reloading, as this one has. Yes, a SA chambered for 45 ACP can be loaded faster with a semi-auto magazine, but really...it takes so bloody long to eject the empties from a SA, reloading is more of an after though, or a matter of topping off so you're not standing around with an empty gun in your hands. And based on oft quoted stats for defensive shootings, they're over in 1-3 rounds fired. If 5 rounds of 45 Colt (or even 45 ACP) didn't solve the problem, you have a much bigger problem than how fast you can reload will solve. (smile again)

Qualifier: If you aren't very well practiced in the manual of arms, manipulation and shooting of your single action revolver...don't even think of carrying it except for fun at the range or in the woods, mountains, or desert.

Dave

Personally, the reload and capacity aren't the real issues for me. Having to cock the hammer (and potentially manually lower the hammer) during "person management" encounters where adrenaline might be high, attention focused elsewhere, you are potentially entangled, and potentially injured is my biggest qualm.

4given
10-18-2019, 11:20 AM
You usually do, my well-read friend. :)

As to SA wheelies, and actual defensive use, capacity and reload speed is the least of my concerns. Single-handed use in a FUT, or low light scenario... that is a different issue.

I agree that 225+ grains at 1000+fps in .44 or .45 will probably pass muster.... if one can access it.

(Truth be told, for woods bumming, my favorite set up is a flattop/medium BH in .44spec or .357, backed up by something like a G42 AIWB. I’ve actually done that.)

I too typically carry a Ruger Lipsey Flattop 44 special 4 5/8" BBL in the woods. 250gr Keith Style over Power Pistol for about 1050-ish FPS. It is compact, comfy and powerful enough.

Dave T
10-18-2019, 12:19 PM
Personally, the reload and capacity aren't the real issues for me. Having to cock the hammer (and potentially manually lower the hammer) during "person management" encounters where adrenaline might be high, attention focused elsewhere, you are potentially entangled, and potentially injured is my biggest qualm.

When I said you need to be "well practiced" I was being totally serious. If the entire manual of arms for your SA isn't second nature and very deliberate, including lowering the hammer on a live round, then put it in your range bag and go play with it. Don't carry it!

Dave

BehindBlueI's
10-18-2019, 12:34 PM
When I said you need to be "well practiced" I was being totally serious. If the entire manual of arms for your SA isn't second nature and very deliberate, including lowering the hammer on a live round, then put it in your range bag and go play with it. Don't carry it!

Dave

I wonder if anyone has taken one through ECQC type drills. I'd be absolutely fascinated what "best practices" ended up looking like even though I know it's not something I'd ever seriously consider. Since I had the fight with the fellow that left me with a dangling thumb on my strong side I am 100% adverse to any handgun that requires a thumb to use properly. Very unlikely situation, I know, but one that left it's mark on me.

Totem Polar
10-18-2019, 01:02 PM
I wonder if anyone has taken one through ECQC type drills..

BWAHAHAHAAAAA! (*wipes tears from corners of eyes)

That was pretty much my previous point; it’s hard enough getting a G17 into action under resistance. I’d rather have a clinch pick than a Blackhawk in a FUT. And I LOVES me some Blackhawk.

About the only time I could see an SA hogleg providing any advantage is long-range; If I had one chance to put a round into an active shooter at 40 yards with a handgun, I suppose experience has shown my 50th anniversary.357 to be at least as good as anything in my safe. I suppose a brace of Rugers might make sense during times of complete economic trade shutdown: they’re pretty maintenance-free.

But I’m not expecting either scenario this week.

LockedBreech
10-18-2019, 03:45 PM
We do love our hokey religions and ancient weapons.

1913 rails and red dots are no match for a good 00-buck shell in the tube, kid.

Totem Polar
10-18-2019, 05:09 PM
I too typically carry a Ruger Lipsey Flattop 44 special 4 5/8" BBL in the woods. 250gr Keith Style over Power Pistol for about 1050-ish FPS. It is compact, comfy and powerful enough.

:D :D

4given
10-18-2019, 05:14 PM
:D :D

Lovely! Mine has the black plastic checkered grips. I'll post up a picture when I get home. I have also loaded up a few 200gr Gold Dots for it too just for giggles.

Totem Polar
10-18-2019, 05:21 PM
Lovely! Mine has the black plastic checkered grips. I'll post up a picture when I get home. I have also loaded up a few 200gr Gold Dots for it too just for giggles.

Mine came with the same OEM checkered black grips. I think those in the pic I just took
were about 28 bucks over at https://www.altamontco.com/pistol-grips/ruger/newvaquero/

Hambo
10-18-2019, 05:36 PM
Since I had the fight with the fellow that left me with a dangling thumb on my strong side I am 100% adverse to any handgun that requires a thumb to use properly. Very unlikely situation, I know, but one that left it's mark on me.

You're not the only one.

December 23rd marks the 117th anniversary of Luke Short's last great gunfight. It was a shoot out with Charlie Wright at Charlie's gambling den in Ft. Worth. With all the gun fights and violence Luke was known for, this was the only time he was ever wounded. He had already killed 11 men, though some say it was 17, without getting tarnished himself. That's because, up until that December night in 1890, Luke had always been the one to fire the first shot, and it was always lethal. But that night in Ft. Worth, he got badly wounded in the thigh, and his thumb and two fingers were shot plumb off his right hand.

http://www.texasescapes.com/MaggieVanOstrand/Luke-Short-The-Undertakers-Friend.htm

45dotACP
10-18-2019, 07:01 PM
I wonder if anyone has taken one through ECQC type drills. I'd be absolutely fascinated what "best practices" ended up looking like even though I know it's not something I'd ever seriously consider. Since I had the fight with the fellow that left me with a dangling thumb on my strong side I am 100% adverse to any handgun that requires a thumb to use properly. Very unlikely situation, I know, but one that left it's mark on me.

I get the sense that a skilled BJJ/Muay Thai/ECQC practitioner would be OK with most types of weapons (to include a knife or sap) in a clinch. But for me as a mortal I'll stick with a simple, reliable, accurate firearm.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

KPD
10-18-2019, 09:56 PM
I have absolutely no use for one of these, but the want is very strong for one! The MSRP is quite a bit less than I expected as well. I will definitely be looking for one to handle!

Totem Polar
10-18-2019, 10:10 PM
Yeah, so I sorta let my friendly LGS know I was in the market for one of these...

I’ll let y’all know when it comes in.

:o

HCM
10-18-2019, 10:14 PM
BWAHAHAHAAAAA! (*wipes tears from corners of eyes)

That was pretty much my previous point; it’s hard enough getting a G17 into action under resistance. I’d rather have a clinch pick than a Blackhawk in a FUT. And I LOVES me some Blackhawk.

About the only time I could see an SA hogleg providing any advantage is long-range; If I had one chance to put a round into an active shooter at 40 yards with a handgun, I suppose experience has shown my 50th anniversary.357 to be at least as good as anything in my safe. I suppose a brace of Rugers might make sense during times of complete economic trade shutdown: they’re pretty maintenance-free.

But I’m not expecting either scenario this week.

A large S.A. revolver has one advantage over a G17 in a FUT, it makes a much better bludgeon.

Totem Polar
10-18-2019, 10:18 PM
A large S.A. revolver has one advantage over a G17 in a FUT, it makes a much better bludgeon.

This is very true. :D

HCM
10-18-2019, 10:38 PM
This is very true. :D

https://youtu.be/KtcwwydZKM0

LSP552
10-19-2019, 10:46 AM

Best, Jon

My Dad can personally attest that barefoot and copperhead aren’t a good combination in East Texas.

LSP552
10-19-2019, 10:57 AM
For anyone not liking this new bird’s-head sixgun, well, there have been plenty of convertible .45 ACP/.45 Colt Bisleys and Blackhawks made. My wife more-or-less claimed my stainless Bisley convertible, and I have been wondering whether to buy another, for a while.

My 4 5/8” Blackhawk.45/.45 ACP convertible is one of my favorite walking around the woods and fun guns. I had gotten pretty decent at longer range when I had institutional access to .45 ACP. Single action revolvers are just fun.

And while it, or my .44 Spl New Frontier, wouldn’t be my first choice as a defensive tool, I certainly wouldn’t want to be in the receiving end of a 240-255 gr hard cast semi-wadcutter at 850 -900 FPS.

RONK
10-19-2019, 01:43 PM
I'm sorry Marlin isn't doing one of the "Dark Series" rifles in an 1894 45 Colt, to go along with the Ruger.For now,the 336 30/30 Dark and or 1895 45/70 Dark will have to do.I back ordered several of the Rugers,I'll post when they become available.

Borderland
10-19-2019, 06:14 PM
I have a 625-8 so I won't be getting one of these new Rugers. 45 ACP revolvers are different enough to be in a class all of their own because 45 ACP isn't a revolver cartridge like 44 Special or 45 Colt. The attraction I think is a person that already reloads for 45 ACP can experience the cartridge in a revolver. That's how I ended up with a 625. I'm a revolver fan but 45 Colt and 44 Spl doesn't really flip my switch. I'm mainly a 1911 guy with a few revolvers.

With all of the Ruger fans out there this should be no brainer.

JAH 3rd
10-19-2019, 09:00 PM
I have the above mentioned single action Ruger in stainless. I fired 100 rounds of WWB 45 acp 230 grain through it earlier this week. Recoil was very manageable. Single action trigger pull not bad at all. Too many Gunsmoke reruns put a lust in my heart for this revolver.

https://www.ruger.com/products/newModelBlackhawkConvertible/specSheets/0472.html

03RN
10-20-2019, 12:17 AM
I get the sense that a skilled BJJ/Muay Thai/ECQC practitioner would be OK with most types of weapons (to include a knife or sap) in a clinch. But for me as a mortal I'll stick with a simple, reliable, accurate firearm.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

I've had 2 firearms pulled on me as a private citizen. Neither time did I pull my legally concealed firearm. It's been a long time so I don't remember what I told the cop but it was something​along the lines of not needing too.

I don't regret the decisions either.

Baldanders
10-27-2019, 01:27 PM

Dammit, I'm not a SA revolver guy, but that still life has me iinterested in that piece.

Totem Polar
10-27-2019, 03:42 PM
Dammit, I'm not a SA revolver guy, but that still life has me iinterested in that piece.

If one is not a reloader, and one wants to dip their toes into the SA wheelie world from scratch, then there is *a lot* to be said for that exact gun. Classic styling, mixed with the cool birdshead; stone reliable, and capable of cheap grins from shooting even the crappiest .45acp. One could do a lot worse than that Ruger and a case of someone’s cheap ball production—even wolf or tula at 11bucks a box. JMO.

Dave T
10-28-2019, 10:59 AM
...his thumb and two fingers were shot plumb off his right hand.

I think that would pretty much interfere with shooting anything...single action, double action, semi auto, even using a sap. That sounds like instant conversion to south-paw, provided you live long enough.

Dave

SecretOtter
10-28-2019, 12:10 PM
Does anyone know if it will come in .44 Mag? Or is it on the website?

Borderland
10-28-2019, 02:09 PM
The Fudds will buy them.

I'm waiting for duelling to make a comeback as a socially accepted way to resolve a disagreement.

Just imagine all of the taxpayers money that would be saved in court costs, not to mention the attorney fees. Court dockets would be cleared for more important matters.

I was thinking about that the other day when I got a jury summons. What a waste of time and money. $0.55 a mile for travel expenses. I would have had to drive 130 miles a day to get to the courthouse and back home again.

There has to be some rules in a gun fight or it's just a brawl. Totally uncivilized. ;)

jtcarm
10-30-2019, 11:20 AM

I think I’m more jealous of the background than the gun.

Hambo
10-30-2019, 11:23 AM
Does anyone know if it will come in .44 Mag? Or is it on the website?

I've put a lot of .44 mag through Blackhawks and SBHs, but I wouldn't be interesting in firing any with those grips.

11B10
10-30-2019, 04:32 PM

Lost, somehow the brighter frame on yours really trips my trigger (pun very much intended), but the "black matt carbon" offering from Ruger - not so much. I guess I like my wheelguns shiny.

jtcarm
10-30-2019, 09:15 PM
You're not the only one.

http://www.texasescapes.com/MaggieVanOstrand/Luke-Short-The-Undertakers-Friend.htm

Luke Short was involved in a shooting, in Fort Worth, where a thumb may have been shot off.

Those are the only items in that article that resemble an actual event.

That shooting took place outside of Ella Blackwell’s brothel in 1887.

The other participant was a corrupt LEO known as “Longhair Jim” Courtright, who was running a protection racket, which he tried to push on Short, owner of the White Elephant Saloon.

Short was the winner. Courtright reached for his gun first, but never got a shot off as Short drilled him four times at close range.

Legend has it that Short’s first round blew Courtrights thumb off. Bat Masterson witnessed the shooting and never mentioned the thumb. Considering Masterson was writing for a NY newspaper at the time and had no compunction about profiting from his experiences in the west, it’s doubtful he would have left out such a juicy detail.

Luke Short had rubbed elbows with all the famous Dodge City lawmen but was really only known for one shooting prior to Courtright.

Lost River
10-31-2019, 08:52 AM
Lost, somehow the brighter frame on yours really trips my trigger (pun very much intended), but the "black matt carbon" offering from Ruger - not so much. I guess I like my wheelguns shiny.

The grip frame on my little 45 ACP flattop is an aluminum one. I replaced that stainless one that came on it from the factory in order to reduce weight. It is very easy to strip the matte black off of these in minutes with some blue remover type stuff, as I did it years ago on my large frame .45 convertible:

https://i.imgur.com/yjuRaqp.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/Xy35VcG.jpg

The cool thing about these guns is that you can mix and match them to get what you want with a little effort and some time. :)

03RN
10-31-2019, 09:17 AM
I stripped the frame on my single six and Blackhawk as well. I love the look.

M2CattleCo
10-31-2019, 02:14 PM
I love SA revolvers but trying to modernize them into something they're not is perverted.

I keep one in the ranch truck for putting down animals and I have one that I pull out and practice with occasionally as they are fun to shoot.

HeavyDuty
10-31-2019, 03:35 PM
I love SA revolvers but trying to modernize them into something they're not is perverted.

I keep one in the ranch truck for putting down animals and I have one that I pull out and practice with occasionally as they are fun to shoot.

I’ve heard the same said about the venerable 1911... (ducks.)

11B10
10-31-2019, 05:46 PM
The grip frame on my little 45 ACP flattop is an aluminum one. I replaced that stainless one that came on it from the factory in order to reduce weight. It is very easy to strip the matte black off of these in minutes with some blue remover type stuff, as I did it years ago on my large frame .45 convertible:

https://i.imgur.com/yjuRaqp.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/Xy35VcG.jpg

The cool thing about these guns is that you can mix and match them to get what you want with a little effort and some time. :)

Ohmyohmyohmy! These are very good looking revolvers. Umm, back to the "shiny one," have you ever weighed it?

M2CattleCo
11-01-2019, 09:04 AM
I’ve heard the same said about the venerable 1911... (ducks.)

Because the 1911 and the SAA are almost the same thing. That's why you see so many top level competitors shooting SAAs and not to mention all the SAAs in use by Elite military and LE branches to this day.

HeavyDuty
11-01-2019, 01:46 PM
Because the 1911 and the SAA are almost the same thing. That's why you see so many top level competitors shooting SAAs and not to mention all the SAAs in use by Elite military and LE branches to this day.

Ooooh - salty!

(Just jerking your chain)

Poconnor
11-01-2019, 02:31 PM
I like the Wiley Clapp GP100s and 1911s but I’m not getting this one. I like the idea but I will buy a stainless Blackhawk Flat top convertible in 45 cal instead soon. I just ordered a Talo Ruger model 5154 New Vaquero in .45 ACP. I was thinking about buying a SAA clone but I will stick with the Rugers for now. This is a stock photo of the one I ordered. I will have to call Milt Sparks next week.

HeavyDuty
11-01-2019, 03:02 PM
I like the Wiley Clapp GP100s and 1911s but I’m not getting this one. I like the idea but I will buy a stainless Blackhawk Flat top convertible in 45 cal instead soon. I just ordered a Talo Ruger model 5154 New Vaquero in .45 ACP. I was thinking about buying a SAA clone but I will stick with the Rugers for now. This is a stock photo of the one I ordered. I will have to call Milt Sparks next week.

I hope you like it as much as I like my stainless version 5153. One easy thing I did that improved accuracy was ream the chamber mouths to a uniform size since I generally shoot 230g ball. I also had Raj at Eagle fit me a set of grips.

Poconnor
11-01-2019, 04:23 PM
I already emailed sack Peterson about stag grips. I will checkout Eagle. Could you post a picture of yours?

HeavyDuty
11-01-2019, 04:42 PM
I already emailed sack Peterson about stag grips. I will checkout Eagle. Could you post a picture of yours?

Sure, I’ll pull it out of the safe tonight. I also changed the base pin and the ejector rod, just personal preference.

Lost River
11-01-2019, 06:39 PM
Ohmyohmyohmy! These are very good looking revolvers. Umm, back to the "shiny one," have you ever weighed it?

I have not.

But just for you and other friends here, I just did.

https://i.imgur.com/Y9j6sx7.jpg?1

That puts it right in the range of a Colt Single Action Army of the same barrel length.

The balance is pretty awesome too!

If I had to choose just one single action revolver, hands down, this convertible would be the one.

https://i.imgur.com/Eru4bfF.jpg

BobM
11-01-2019, 08:06 PM
I have not.

But just for you and other friends here, I just did.

https://i.imgur.com/Eru4bfF.jpg

I have a Sharpfinger just like that I bought when in college during the mid 80s. They seem to have a little bit of a cult following now.

HeavyDuty
11-01-2019, 08:45 PM
Sure, I’ll pull it out of the safe tonight. I also changed the base pin and the ejector rod, just personal preference.

Whelp, I guess I swapped out the Eagles - these were from a gent on one of the SAA forums. I’ll look for the Eagles, they’re checkered rosewood Gunfighters - I also have a set of ivoroid ones someplace.

Lost River
11-01-2019, 09:27 PM
I have a Sharpfinger just like that I bought when in college during the mid 80s. They seem to have a little bit of a cult following now.

The older ones have great steel in them and they balance superbly.

I am not much of a knife guy, but this is one of those knives that I knew was a keeper. The Sharpfinger is one of those that you can dress a Muley buck or brook trout with equal ease. Truly a Goldilocks knife.

I have an old Gerber skinning knife that I picked up in the early 90s that is one of those knives that just fit. In fact I was looking at it today, as it was on a leather belt that I have a holster, cartridge loops, and a couple other items on. I will have to snap a pic of it. I have been meaning to have someone make a decent sheath for that old Gerber, as it deserves a better sheath than the one it came in. It has skinned a lot of deer over the years.

RevolverRob
11-01-2019, 09:59 PM
If someone needs an upgrade to their Sharpfinger - the Bark River Fingerling in 3V would be the choice -

https://www.dlttrading.com/bark-river-fingerling?sort=featured&page=1

Totem Polar
11-02-2019, 02:30 AM
A sharpfinger in a homemade front pocket sheath was my middle school go-to.

There’s some dude doing pikal grinds on these, IIRC.

Poconnor
11-02-2019, 07:36 AM
You guys keep costing me money; those bark river fingerlings look nice. My hunting knife in the eighties was a sharp finger.

BobM
11-02-2019, 10:40 AM
If someone needs an upgrade to their Sharpfinger - the Bark River Fingerling in 3V would be the choice -

https://www.dlttrading.com/bark-river-fingerling?sort=featured&page=1

lol. I paid a lot less for my Schrade back in the mid 80s.

RevolverRob
11-02-2019, 10:55 AM
lol. I paid a lot less for my Schrade back in the mid 80s.

Of course you did. You'd pay a lot less for a Schrade right now, too. The Bark River is a semi-custom knife, using 3V, which is a premium blade steel and they are ground and finished by hand, where a Schrade is not.

A Schrade is a Glock, a Bark River is a closer to a Wilson semi-custom 1911.

RevolverRob
11-02-2019, 11:00 AM
A sharpfinger in a homemade front pocket sheath was my middle school go-to.

Dude, you were a bad-ass. My middle school go-to was a Schrade Cliphanger like this:

There’s some dude doing pikal grinds on these, IIRC.

That is Zulu Bravo Kydex - https://www.zulubravokydex.com/

Lost River
11-02-2019, 02:45 PM
You guys keep costing me money; those bark river fingerlings look nice. My hunting knife in the eighties was a sharp finger.

Old Timer/Schrade Sharpfingers can still be had on the used market with a little searching, and are often worth the asking price, as they are not terribly expensive knives. Just make sure you get one of the older, USA made ones. They started making them in the mid 70s, and made them here until the early 2000s. I remember reading somewhere that the early ones were of a high carbon steel. I don't know steel types from strawberries, so I can't help there.

blake_g
11-04-2019, 10:42 AM
Shades of Andy Horvath...

Poconnor
11-22-2019, 12:57 PM
I finally picked up my my new vaquero. It feels great in my hand. I like the short barrel and the bird heads grip feels good. I like that Ruger put the usual barrel billboard on the bottom of the barrel and it says .45 ACP on the frame. All edges are broken. I can’t wait to order a pancake holster and a Milt sparks summer special. The action pins are too long. I suspect that Blackhawk pins were used and with the new vaquero frame they stick out on the left side. I will contact Ruger. If it shoots as good as it feels I will find somebody to improve the fixed sights45109

Totem Polar
11-22-2019, 02:06 PM
That’s a great gun, Poconnor, and you are going to like shooting it—but I agree that those pins aren’t right. That probably is a trip back to Ruger, but they’ll slick it up a little while it’s there. I’ve had to send 2 Ruger SAs back for stupid QC issues, but they both returned with triggers like my 50th Anniversary, so I’ve come to hope that each SA I buy going forward will have similar minor niggles. :)

Poconnor
11-22-2019, 03:10 PM
I wonder if I can talk Ruger into putting a bisley hammer on it?

Totem Polar
11-22-2019, 04:13 PM
I wonder if I can talk Ruger into putting a bisley hammer on it?

That gun, with a bisley hammer and better sights, would be a great first/only/forever SA wheelie.

Soon, my friend, soon... you will understand why I am so hot ‘n bothered by the idea of a six-shot 9mm version built on the single-seven birdshead frame—which fits in 4" K-frame leather perfectly, btw.

Just saying.

:)

Tennessee Jed
11-22-2019, 05:47 PM
Every time I get myself talked out of a Vaquero Birdshead, or the upcoming "Carryhawk", or the Ruger Single Seven 327 Birdshead, this thread pops up.

I would love to hear how that Vaquero shoots after you get it to the range. I'm sure it will shoot awesomely, because that would make getting another Ruger single action revolver even more tempting for me.

I've been checking almost daily, and it seems that the Carryhawk still hasn't made its way to any web stores. But that Vaquero looks so good, I think I might be over my Carryhawk syndrome, wanting one of those fantastic Vaquero Birdsheads instead. Maybe.

Poconnor
11-23-2019, 02:45 PM
I’m thinking a flat top Blackhawk with the birds head grip will be worth trying. They make them in .357/9mm and 45 colt/45 acp

Russ856
11-23-2019, 03:59 PM
I finally picked up my my new vaquero. It feels great in my hand. I like the short barrel and the bird heads grip feels good. I like that Ruger put the usual barrel billboard on the bottom of the barrel and it says .45 ACP on the frame. All edges are broken. I can’t wait to order a pancake holster and a Milt sparks summer special. The action pins are too long. I suspect that Blackhawk pins were used and with the new vaquero frame they stick out on the left side. I will contact Ruger. If it shoots as good as it feels I will find somebody to improve the fixed sights.

I bought the stainless version of this Vaquero over two years in 44mag. I had a serious illness last year and sold off my collection of big bore singles except for this one. It's the only single action I own now and I will keep it, it was too good to let go...... It is an outstanding shooter, the birds head grip shape is really good, way more comfortable and carries easier with my IWB leather. I do some .44spl plinking with it as well. The only change I made to it was replacing the hammer spring with a 50% reduction spring I found on ebay when I first bought it. Love the design and function....

Russ856
11-23-2019, 05:58 PM

RONK
11-26-2019, 10:34 PM
We have some coming in,hopefully this Friday,if not,early next week.

Russ856
11-27-2019, 08:39 PM
50% reduced hammer spring, custom wood, best handgun I’ve ever owned.

Totem Polar
12-08-2019, 11:58 PM
So, the Carryhawk that I ordered came in, and I had a chance to go fondle it in person. Bottom line up front: it’s great. Better looking in person, and with a feature set that just works in the hand. The trigger is a bit wider than standard Blackhawk fare—meaning a bit more leverage and control over the release; sort of reminds me of a scaled-up J-frame smooth target trigger in feel. The hammer spur is a touch lower than my other SAs—though not Bisley feeling—and possessed of a wider spur with aggressive checkering that makes it easy to work, even single-handed. Of course, the sights are great for worn-out eyes.

The fit and action on this one is excellent; on par with other special runs (eg. 50th anniversary), and the matte finish looks killer, if a bit strike-a-match rough by design. The balance is excellent, despite the larger frame, what with the weighty, non-fluted cylinder and flat-sided 4" barrel. In short, it’s a cool SA wheelie that feels a lot better than it looks on paper. 2 cylinders included, natch.

Current events dictate that I let this one go to the next guy on the waitlist, but I will be grabbing one of these things for sure at some point down the road.

FWIW.

JAH 3rd
12-09-2019, 07:43 PM
I have a stainless 5.5 Blackhawk, a 45 convertible. I like the idea of 45acp since long colt isn't exactly jumping off the shelf. That said, it is a heavy revolver. I knew that going in, but to call this new a "Carryhawk" for me is a little much. The name Carryhawk in my mind means CCW. The weight let alone the size precludes that.....just my opinion. As far as a Blackhawk goes, I think it is a cool piece in appearance and execution. Definitely and attention getter.

Farswot
12-26-2019, 02:16 AM
Rosewood grips from eBay seller mazdaman4.

Crossdraw from Mernickle.

True love...

Farswot

Totem Polar
10-09-2020, 12:03 AM
Bump the necro thread, because, .44mag carryhawk, bitchezz!

https://ruger.com/products/newModelSuperBlackhawkStandard/specSheets/0875.html

Pretty cool.

Clusterfrack
10-09-2020, 12:05 AM

Pretty cool.

Ultimate hipster gun.

TAZ
10-09-2020, 02:18 PM
Ultimate hipster gun.

Only if it’s a black powder variant. Too new otherwise.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

spinmove_
10-09-2020, 02:38 PM
XS sights? Really?

awp_101
10-09-2020, 03:18 PM
Ultimate hipster gun.

Only if it’s a black powder variant. Too new otherwise.
Sort of a reverse cartridge conversion. Loose powder and ball only or will paper cartridges be acceptable?

Then again come late January of next year, that might be the most modern handgun we can buy...

4given
10-12-2020, 02:08 PM
So, the Carryhawk that I ordered came in, and I had a chance to go fondle it in person. Bottom line up front: it’s great. Better looking in person, and with a feature set that just works in the hand. The trigger is a bit wider than standard Blackhawk fare—meaning a bit more leverage and control over the release; sort of reminds me of a scaled-up J-frame smooth target trigger in feel. The hammer spur is a touch lower than my other SAs—though not Bisley feeling—and possessed of a wider spur with aggressive checkering that makes it easy to work, even single-handed. Of course, the sights are great for worn-out eyes.

The fit and action on this one is excellent; on par with other special runs (eg. 50th anniversary), and the matte finish looks killer, if a bit strike-a-match rough by design. The balance is excellent, despite the larger frame, what with the weighty, non-fluted cylinder and flat-sided 4" barrel. In short, it’s a cool SA wheelie that feels a lot better than it looks on paper. 2 cylinders included, natch.

Current events dictate that I let this one go to the next guy on the waitlist, but I will be grabbing one of these things for sure at some point down the road.

FWIW.

It it all steel or does it have an aluminum frame and ejector rod housing?

4given
10-12-2020, 02:42 PM
Old Timer/Schrade Sharpfingers can still be had on the used market with a little searching, and are often worth the asking price, as they are not terribly expensive knives. Just make sure you get one of the older, USA made ones. They started making them in the mid 70s, and made them here until the early 2000s. I remember reading somewhere that the early ones were of a high carbon steel. I don't know steel types from strawberries, so I can't help there.

Sharpfingers are great knives. I used an old USA made one back in the 70's and 80's. I lost it while big game hunting in North Idaho. I now have 3 of the current imported 7.1 inch Shrade Sharpfingers that live on each of my "wood's knocking" gun belts. I like them just as well for the intended purpose and I don't have to worry about losing or damaging them. They old ones were not expensive. They were just inexpensive, well designed and durable. So are the new imported variety. The sheaths are another thing, they work but leave a lot to be desired.

OlongJohnson
10-12-2020, 08:04 PM
Sort of a reverse cartridge conversion. Loose powder and ball only or will paper cartridges be acceptable?

Then again come late January of next year, that might be the most modern handgun we can buy...

SAA is a weapon of war. It's right there in the name.

As is the 1911, and the Hi-Power and the Beretta 92 and the P226 and the P220 and the P210 and the Luger and the Mauser... There are stories about Blackhawks in the tunnels in Vietnam.

All the good, durable, reliable ones are weapons of war.

Totem Polar
10-12-2020, 08:19 PM
It it all steel or does it have an aluminum frame and ejector rod housing?

Most def steel frame, and I’m pretty sure the ejector housing is steel too, but I can’t swear to it. Going by memory from when this thread was young.

...There are stories about Blackhawks in the tunnels in Vietnam.

My dad’s best friend from childhood is one of those stories. The name could be verified by a P-F member from the teams pretty easily.

Rick R
10-12-2020, 08:52 PM
I got to fondle a Carryhawk at a gun shop. Close but not quite.

What I want is a 4 5/8” Blackhawk framed gun in .45 Colt using a Carpenter 465 cylinder (with proper throats), Bisley grips, a Novak rear sight and the Carryhawk front sight with a tritium insert. G-10 grips and finished in that gray stuff Ruger uses on the Super Redhawk.
They can call it the “Greyhawk”

I’ll probably end up sendIng a Blackhawk off to a custom smith along with a bunch of $.

Buckeye63
10-13-2020, 04:50 AM
Before my back went south... I carried on a occasion a 45/8in Barreled Flattop Ruger Blackhawk 45Colt/45acp loaded with
45 Acp 230gr Golden Sabers .. I found that load had the same POI as 230gr Ball

I have found that to still be true in my Charter Pitbull 45acp

Hambo
10-13-2020, 07:21 AM

Pretty cool.

What's the over/under on how many of my .44 mag handloads you can stand to shoot through that in one range session?

Borderland
10-13-2020, 09:04 AM
What's the over/under on how many of my .44 mag handloads you can stand to shoot through that in one range session?

44 Mag is the new 44 special. The beauty of the cartridge is that you can load it anyway you want.

Rick R
10-13-2020, 05:55 PM
44 Mag is the new 44 special. The beauty of the cartridge is that you can load it anyway you want.

I’ve got 320gr loads that you can’t keep both hands on the gun during recoil. I’ve used 240gr LSWC loads with a reduced load of Unique in CCW classes for small women who after they shot it went home and bragged that they had shot “a .44 MAGNUM” to their husbands.

The .45 Colt is at least as versatile, I’m sorry mine all went to other homes.

Hambo
10-13-2020, 06:18 PM

Those of us who reload can. IMO this thing should have been a .44 Special (with a shorter barrel). Those grips look awful small on a magnum, and you know somebody is going to try it out, because they can.

Re-reading this thread is making me want a Vaquero in .45 Auto.

Borderland
10-13-2020, 06:47 PM
Those of us who reload can. IMO this thing should have been a .44 Special (with a shorter barrel). Those grips look awful small on a magnum, and you know somebody is going to try it out, because they can.

Re-reading this thread is making me want a Vaquero in .45 Auto.

It won't be pleasant that's for sure. 44 special would be my choice also but that cartridge is only popular with cowboy action shooters and a few old timers. 45 auto revolvers are great fun. I have a S&W 625 that gets to the range when I tire of the 45 ACP pistols, of which I have many.

oregon45
10-13-2020, 10:50 PM
Having fired hot .45 Colt loads (360gr at 1050fps) from an original birds-head gripped Ruger Vaquero (large frame), that practice is, in my opinion, am impractical use of such a gun. I found it to be unnecessarily painful--mainly because the hammer spur hit me hard in the web of my hand as the gun twisted upward in recoil--and my recovery time was very slow because the birds-head grip shifted dramatically in my hand.

Birds-head grips are comfortable and look cool, but if pure shooting performance is the primary consideration--and if recoil management matters at all--I'd recommend sticking with the Bisley and plow-handle frames.

Sherman A. House DDS
10-18-2020, 10:15 PM
I bought one of these. My Son and I have had a helluva time shooting it during the quarantine times. I’ve used both cylinders. I found a treasure trove of .45 Colt Ammo here.

I use a Simply Rugged, “Shootist,” for banging around with it. Not too worried about using it as a concealed piece. If the world gets to that, I’ll make it happen. It hides under a shirt jacket for me fine. I carry spare Ammo in a SR loop carrier as well, when I’m in the woods. I really dig that future cowboy esthetic. Read through this thread...appears many don’t like the aesthetic!

RONK
10-19-2020, 10:16 PM
Doctor, I like the "future cowboy esthetic"too.Ruger believes enough in the concept to introduce the .44 Mag.The Carryhawk makes a great sidearm to the Marlin Dark and Henry X Model.

oregon45
10-19-2020, 11:33 PM
I bought one of these. My Son and I have had a helluva time shooting it during the quarantine times. I’ve used both cylinders. I found a treasure trove of .45 Colt Ammo here.

I use a Simply Rugged, “Shootist,” for banging around with it. Not too worried about using it as a concealed piece. If the world gets to that, I’ll make it happen. It hides under a shirt jacket for me fine. I carry spare Ammo in a SR loop carrier as well, when I’m in the woods. I really dig that future cowboy esthetic. Read through this thread...appears many don’t like the aesthetic!

Where is the gun's balance point? I'm wondering if the slab-sided barrel moves the balance at all; my old large-frame Vaquero with a bird's head grip and round barrel in .45 Colt balanced just ahead of the trigger.

Tennessee Jed
10-21-2020, 02:34 PM
Doctor, I like the "future cowboy esthetic"too.Ruger believes enough in the concept to introduce the .44 Mag.The Carryhawk makes a great sidearm to the Marlin Dark and Henry X Model.

I was just thinking the same exact thing, and "future cowboy aesthetic" is right up my alley, although, I think one of those Chiappa Alaskan 1892 takedowns, in matching caliber, might be a slightly better fit for me.

OlongJohnson
10-21-2020, 03:17 PM
A few months back, there were some barely used Chiappa Alaskans on GB with the chrome peeling off. Makes me nervous about that on such an expensive gun.

Tennessee Jed
10-21-2020, 03:21 PM
A few months back, there were some barely used Chiappa Alaskans on GB with the chrome peeling off. Makes me nervous about that on such an expensive gun.

Dang, that is good to know. Thanks.

Sherman A. House DDS
10-25-2020, 09:52 PM
Where is the gun's balance point? I'm wondering if the slab-sided barrel moves the balance at all; my old large-frame Vaquero with a bird's head grip and round barrel in .45 Colt balanced just ahead of the trigger.

I’d say it’s about the same. The recoil characteristics even with Caddy stoppers is quite manageable with a roll.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20201026/b39d02b31524e9e340df92af37b33dea.jpg