PDA

View Full Version : Trijicon SRO--Anyone else had problems?

Tokarev
10-14-2019, 12:24 PM
I have contact Trijicon and await a shipping label...

I received my 2.5 moa SRO just a few weeks ago. I promptly mounted it to a Glock 19 MOS slide and proceeded to dry fire with it. Right off the bat I noticed that the "-" button was very difficult to use. It seemed hard to press with no tactile feedback. It sort of "smooshed" rather than "clicked." As a result, I seemed to be putting the optic into one of the various modes.

Anyway, I haven't used the optic in live fire yet and wanted to change that. I pulled the pistol out this morning with the intention of going to the range but found the optic is dead. Pushing either button independently or at the same time does nothing. I changed the battery and it still would come on.

Not a good way to start my week!

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

GJM
10-14-2019, 12:59 PM

I received my 2.5 moa SRO just a few weeks ago. I promptly mounted it to a Glock 19 MOS slide and proceeded to dry fire with it. Right off the bat I noticed that the "-" button was very difficult to use. It seemed hard to press with no tactile feedback. It sort of "smooshed" rather than "clicked." As a result, I seemed to be putting the optic into one of the various modes.

Anyway, I haven't used the optic in live fire yet and wanted to change that. I pulled the pistol out this morning with the intention of going to the range but found the optic is dead. Pushing either button independently or at the same time does nothing. I changed the battery and it still would come on.

The manual is not in front of me, but don’t you have to press the plus and minus to put it in one of the modes? Every SRO we have, the the plus and minus buttons are stiff. On the Romeo 3 Max, they are too sensitive.

Tokarev
10-14-2019, 01:10 PM
According to the manual the unit is turned on by pressing either button.

Automatic mode is press and release both buttons for less than a second and release.

Lockout mode press both buttons less than 3 seconds.

Lockin mode is set to the desired level then press either button for 3 seconds.

ranger
10-14-2019, 05:48 PM
I turned mine on and I am confused by their button process. Mine is in automatic mode and it is working well. Leaving as-is for now.

ADK
10-16-2019, 04:11 PM
https://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?36123-New-Trijicon-Pistol-Mounted-RDS/page50

To the point where I've decided to focus solely on irons for a good long while. . . .

Tokarev
10-23-2019, 09:36 AM
https://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?36123-New-Trijicon-Pistol-Mounted-RDS/page50

To the point where I've decided to focus solely on irons for a good long while. . . .

Thanks for linking your experiences.

I like the idea of the pistol mounted red dot but it looks like technology still hasn't caught up with the concept.

My SRO is on its way back to Trijicon now. It might just end up on eBay or Gunbroker upon its return....

robertwil18
10-23-2019, 05:41 PM

I like the idea of the pistol mounted red dot but it looks like technology still hasn't caught up with the concept.

My SRO is on its way back to Trijicon now. It might just end up on eBay or Gunbroker upon its return....

If you want to offload that POS cheap, ill give you $200. hahaha

Tokarev
10-23-2019, 05:44 PM
If you want to offload that POS cheap, ill give you $200. hahahaSounds good.

Shipping and handling will be $250.

jetfire
10-25-2019, 04:11 AM

Or it could be that the concept is pretty much ready and your sample size of one just wasn't great.

Tod-13
10-25-2019, 06:45 AM
Or it could be that the concept is pretty much ready and your sample size of one just wasn't great.

Given we have pages and pages of broken dot discussion and dissection on this site, I think "not ready" is a fair determination. When GJM and his wife can go a year using any of the top brands (say Leupold, Trijicon, and Aimpoint) and not break one, to me that means "ready". You may have a more flexible definition of ready.

GJM
10-25-2019, 07:00 AM
I believe that while all the red dots are less reliable than the pistols they are mounted on, 2019 has brought more positive developments in pistol mounted optics than the previous five years combined.

Trijicon has not marketed the SRO as a duty optic and I think it does exceptionally well for the uses it was designed for.

jetfire
10-25-2019, 07:36 AM
Given we have pages and pages of broken dot discussion and dissection on this site, I think "not ready" is a fair determination. When GJM and his wife can go a year using any of the top brands (say Leupold, Trijicon, and Aimpoint) and not break one, to me that means "ready". You may have a more flexible definition of ready.

People I am going to trust about red dots:

Hilton Yam, Scott Jedlinski, Aaron Cowan, and other verified SMEs, who have all demonstrated that the Type 2 RMR is in some cases more reliable than iron sights on a pistol.

Some random guy on a forum who shoots a little bit? Lol nah.

Clobbersaurus
10-25-2019, 08:04 AM
in some cases more reliable than iron sights on a pistol.

This is an interesting statement. I would be interested to hear the tests and observations from said SME’s that generated it.

jetfire
10-25-2019, 08:13 AM
This is an interesting statement. I would be interested to hear the tests and observations from said SME’s that generated it.

I know Aaron has had people's front sights divorce themselves from their guns during classes and had the dot not fail on those same guns.

I've had two or three front sights fly off, and one rear sight come the whole way out of its dovetail on various iron sight guns, but I've never had a dot shit the bed.

YVK
10-25-2019, 08:40 AM
That's a pretty solid list of random people who shoot a little that you put up there.

To the point of reliability, I just had an open emitter dot rendered unusable by rain until I used q tips and hairdryer on it in my hotel that night. Wasn't the RMR, but I doubt it would've done better.

jetfire
10-25-2019, 08:47 AM
That's a pretty solid list of random people who shoot a little that you put up there.

To the point of reliability, I just had an open emitter dot rendered unusable by rain until I used q tips and hairdryer on it in my hotel that night. Wasn't the RMR, but I doubt it would've done better.

It's also worth noting that the red dot landscape has changed considerably in the last 6-7 years as well. I was having lunch with one of the people on that list about 6 years ago, and we were talking about the concept was good but the technology wasn't quite ready yet, especially with the older Type 1 RMRs.

Since that time, Loopy and Trijicon have made some really good technological advancements in their dots, with the Type 2 RMR obviously leading the way. But we're now at a point where even some Chinesium dot like the Holosun is getting rave review from Yeti, who's run a gajillion rounds through one with no issues. That matters a lot to me, albeit not enough that I'm selling my RMRs for Holosuns. But it speaks to the general increase in reliability in dots.

Tensaw
10-26-2019, 07:02 AM

Hilton Yam, Scott Jedlinski, Aaron Cowan, and other verified SMEs, who have all demonstrated that the Type 2 RMR is in some cases more reliable than iron sights on a pistol.

I hope I am misinterpreting something with the above comment. Heh,... back in the days of the 10-8 forum Hilton lead me/us down the Kimber trail. I have very distinct memories of taking receipt of my Kimber Warrior (remember that one?), and then being quite confused and troubled when my $1,000+ pistol would not run; not even with the magazines recommended by Hilton. Was that Hilton's fault? Nope. That was on Kimber. But I have to wonder how much Hilton was compensated (in one form or another) to recommend the Kimber. That carries over to today with these guys - are they being compensated to steer folks toward certain gear?

More to the point, if GJM is the "random guy on a forum who shoots a little bit" - yeah, I'll trust what he says. All. Day. Long.

cornstalker
10-26-2019, 08:34 AM

Deleted due to thread drift.

YVK
10-26-2019, 08:43 AM
Tensaw, funny you mentioned Yam and Kimber. My first 1911 was a Kimber, also bought because of what Yam wrote on his site, and it also didn't run worth a damn. Yam later removed that stuff, but not before I lost several hundred bucks on a trade. In that case my impression was that he knew a lot less about those guns than he thought he did, not that he received any kickbacks.

In this particular optics discussion case, the names that Caleb mentioned, I don't think there's much of a commercial bias, and type 2 RMR is an easy recommendation anyway.

cornstalker
10-26-2019, 09:01 AM
Unless you happen to be the guy that has an emitter lens fall out of a Type 2 in the first 200 rounds. But as I have previously stated, some guys can use a product to hammer in nails and not damage it, I can break it getting it out of the box.

Tensaw
10-26-2019, 09:17 AM
Whoever said, “Whenever a collaboration is formed, then any recommendation becomes (suspect?)” is a better way to say what I was trying to convey. I would imagine Hilton is a stand up guy and I have no idea what his relationship with Kimber was. I do suspect it is tough not to be influenced when you are getting preferential treatment from companies.

YVK
10-26-2019, 09:25 AM
@cornstalker (https://pistol-forum.com/member.php?u=10680): other than Aimpoint offerings, I don't know of any optic that we've discussed here that didn't have an instance of very early failure.
Tensaw: it is a fact proven in other fields. There is a ton of literature in medical field about this, regardless how highly principled and well intended the recipients are.

K, that's a massive thread drift. Back to SROs, two sample of mine are doing well. One just shot about 1500 rounds in 2 days, previously going without problems through Nationals. Another (OMG, it is not duty rated) is sitting on my carry G19. So far, so good. I hope that OP has his fixed and gives it a chance and I hope that early problems were just that, early problems.

El Cid
10-26-2019, 12:27 PM
Whoever said, “Whenever a collaboration is formed, then any recommendation becomes (suspect?)” is a better way to say what I was trying to convey. I would imagine Hilton is a stand up guy and I have no idea what his relationship with Kimber was. I do suspect it is tough not to be influenced when you are getting preferential treatment from companies.

I know Hilton and and consider him a friend. I can assure you his opinions aren’t for sale. A much more likely reason would be Kimber sent out guns to be evaluated that were hand selected ringers. Remember Kimber actually had the LAPD SIS pistol contract for a while. They fooled a bunch of people.

Regarding the SRO I’m following this thread with much interest. I really want it (and the ACRO) to succeed but am willing to wait until all the bugs have been worked out of them.

HCM
10-26-2019, 01:13 PM
I hope I am misinterpreting something with the above comment. Heh,... back in the days of the 10-8 forum Hilton lead me/us down the Kimber trail. I have very distinct memories of taking receipt of my Kimber Warrior (remember that one?), and then being quite confused and troubled when my $1,000+ pistol would not run; not even with the magazines recommended by Hilton. Was that Hilton's fault? Nope. That was on Kimber. But I have to wonder how much Hilton was compensated (in one form or another) to recommend the Kimber. That carries over to today with these guys - are they being compensated to steer folks toward certain gear?

More to the point, if GJM is the "random guy on a forum who shoots a little bit" - yeah, I'll trust what he says. All. Day. Long.

I know Hilton and and consider him a friend. I can assure you his opinions aren’t for sale. A much more likely reason would be Kimber sent out guns to be evaluated that were hand selected ringers. Remember Kimber actually had the LAPD SIS pistol contract for a while. They fooled a bunch of people.

Regarding the SRO I’m following this thread with much interest. I really want it (and the ACRO) to succeed but am willing to wait until all the bugs have been worked out of them.

When it come so to gun companies. TLG said it best, Trust No one.

http://pistol-training.com/articles/trust-no-one-an-insiders-perspective

Kimber’s quality has gone up and down (unfortunately mostly down) over the years but as El CID noted Kimber built their reputation with their series 1 guns and at one secured LE and military contracts for those guns.

This is common. Look at companies like Bushmaster and Rock River that can, and do make good guns for GOV contracts and intentionally make inferior guns for the commercial market to increase profits.

I too bought a Kimber Desert Warrior based on info from 10-8 and I too was disappointed when it did not run. I replaced with an SA MC Operator (also 10-8 recommended) and never looked back.

In hindsight, if I knew then what I know now, I would have know that 1) 1911s are unique and temperamental creatures and 2) a competent gunsmith could have gotten my desert warrior running cheaply and easily.

I also know a fair bit of this thanks to Hilton and 10-8. He took a lot of flak from the 1911 cult when he started talking about the logistical downsides of the 1911 in a fleet /service role.

I have broken or seen bad examples of every major manufacturers service handguns. The differences are how frequently problems occur and how they handle those issues.

Ironically I took a chance on a cheap, beat up PD trade in Kimber warrior a couple years ago. It runs and shoots great though I’m 99% sure it’s been gone over by an Armorer or gunsmith who knew what they were doing.

Dots are still evolving and we are still learning about both the optics and how they are, or should be mounted.

Bergeron
10-26-2019, 03:35 PM
I’m eagerly reading use reports of both the ACRO and SRO. I want to put one on a Marvel .22 conversion and one on .460 Rowland project “woods gun”. I like my RMRs, but I also want to try out this newer crop of optics.

I hope that this trend of pistol dot optics continues to be innovative and growing.

Dismas316
10-26-2019, 10:27 PM
Well count me in as having an issue. My dot would keep going out and of course would happen in the middle of a stage. Thought maybe it was the battery at first but would keep going out on me at pretty random times. Called Trijicon and they sent me a new one as soon as the the original was received by them. At least there CS was light years better than Leuopold who would quote 6 weeks. Just got the new one so hopefully it will be reliable. By the way mine was a 5 moa

YVK
10-26-2019, 10:39 PM
Leupold quotes 6 weeks to allow themselves a room but usually they turn it around much faster. My last one was shipped back the day after it was received, I even called to verify that they actually did do the repairs.

Tokarev
10-28-2019, 12:10 PM
Just got an email from Trijicon. My SRO has been deemed unrepairable and will be replaced with a new one.

Tokarev
10-30-2019, 05:16 AM
Now I have a tracking number. It says the new optic will arrive next week.

KG556
10-31-2019, 05:48 PM
Just throwing my two cents in in regard to the SRO. So far, my two SRO's have been spot on perfect. The buttons are definitely stiff on both, but they work as they should. They are both 2.5 MOA versions. One serial is approx. 6,500, and the other is approx. 8,900. Both mounted on a Glock model 45. One has about 2,000 rounds on it, and the other has about 1,500 rounds. Still putting them through their paces, but good-to-go thus far.

On a separate but related note, I have 4 RMR'd Type 2 pistols, with significant use on 3 of those 4. They have all been 100% reliable thus far. I retired from my LEO career this June, and I am unaware of any other LEO's at my former agency having any issues with theirs. I realize it's not a significantly large sample size, but those are my own firsthand observations. I also never saw a type 2 go down during any of the combat courses I enrolled in. Again, just firsthand observations.

My only unlucky purchase was a Holosun 507c, which broke on the first day of use. Dot failed, and could not be reactivated despite all attempts. I must have been the oddball, as most others seem to like the 507/508.

GJM
10-31-2019, 06:42 PM
Just throwing my two cents in in regard to the SRO. So far, my two SRO's have been spot on perfect. The buttons are definitely stiff on both, but they work as they should. They are both 2.5 MOA versions. One serial is approx. 6,500, and the other is approx. 8,900. Both mounted on a Glock model 45. One has about 2,000 rounds on it, and the other has about 1,500 rounds. Still putting them through their paces, but good-to-go thus far.

On a separate but related note, I have 4 RMR'd Type 2 pistols, with significant use on 3 of those 4. They have all been 100% reliable thus far. I retired from my LEO career this June, and I am unaware of any other LEO's at my former agency having any issues with theirs. I realize it's not a significantly large sample size, but those are my own firsthand observations. I also never saw a type 2 go down during any of the combat courses I enrolled in. Again, just firsthand observations.

My only unlucky purchase was a Holosun 507c, which broke on the first day of use. Dot failed, and could not be reactivated despite all attempts. I must have been the oddball, as most others seem to like the 507/508.

My sense, based on seeing various models, is that there is a significant infant mortality with Holosun products. If they last a week, they probably will be fine. One of my three 507’s didn’t make a week.

LtDave
11-08-2019, 01:58 PM
Just installed my 5 Moa SRO on a crappy CZ P10C that GJM sold me in a swindle. Since it won't shoot worth a damn, should I demand my money back?

Only shoots 1" groups....:p

SRO works fine. I really like the 5 Moa dot.

GJM
11-08-2019, 02:14 PM
Just installed my 5 Moa SRO on a crappy CZ P10C that GJM sold me in a swindle. Since it won't shoot worth a damn, should I demand my money back?

Only shoots 1" groups....:p

SRO works fine. I really like the 5 Moa dot.

Swindled yes, but it wasn’t you!

OldRunner/CSAT Neighbor
01-17-2020, 08:35 PM
Trij. 2.5moa SRO (ser. 000916) failed @ the range this afternoon, checked the batt. this AM @ 60% & 3K+ in rounds thru it overall.

Emailing Trij. for an RMA # tonight but their website says to return warrantied products back to the dealer (Kenzies Optics for this), so does the SRO go back to Kenzies first or direct to Trijicon?

GJM
01-17-2020, 08:56 PM
Trij. 2.5moa SRO (ser. 000916) failed @ the range this afternoon, checked the batt. this AM @ 60% & 3K+ in rounds thru it overall.

Emailing Trij. for an RMA # tonight but their website says to return warrantied products back to the dealer (Kenzies Optics for this), so does the SRO go back to Kenzies first or direct to Trijicon?

Did you try really tightening down the battery cap?

OldRunner/CSAT Neighbor
01-17-2020, 09:01 PM
Did you try really tightening down the battery cap?

Most def. ever since you shared that tip. w/ us sev. weeks ago. Checked that again @ the range and tested the batt. this PM when home & still at 60%

YVK
01-17-2020, 09:10 PM
Sucks. What's the failure mode?

OldRunner/CSAT Neighbor
01-17-2020, 09:53 PM
Sucks. What's the failure mode?

On a game P10-F OR, left the dot on after the batt. check b/c I carried it hot to the range, fired 3rds. then it said bye, came back on a few secs. later, then back off after another rd. & rechecked the batt. cap tightness again.

My training partner nearby (A class) sensed my frustration, asked what's up and after after handing it to him a sim. occurrence as above & then it went dark for good. An email's into Trij. for an RMA # & hopefully they'll reply early Mon. so I can get it out that AM.

GJM
01-17-2020, 10:06 PM
On a game P10-F OR, left the dot on after the batt. check b/c I carried it hot to the range, fired 3rds. then it said bye, came back on a few secs. later, then back off after another rd. & rechecked the batt. cap tightness again.

My training partner nearby (A class) sensed my frustration, asked what's up and after after handing it to him a sim. occurrence as above & then it went dark for good. An email's into Trij. for an RMA # & hopefully they'll reply early Mon. so I can get it out that AM.

Will be curious whether they repair it or replace it. The SRO has been holding up well for me, my wife and a number of people we know, but shows none of these optics are bulletproof.

Bucky
01-18-2020, 05:21 AM
I just got my slide back yesterday with SRO mounted. Hope this doesn’t turn out to be an ongoing issue. I’m all in, being this is a direct mounted sight.

Naphtali
04-18-2020, 03:03 PM
I would not recommend this sight... I decided to function test my SRO prior to mounting it to my optics-ready VP9.

It worked fine just on the table (testing buttons / modes etc.), until I function tested the process of removing and installing a new battery. The battery cap removed fine. But the battery cap stripped the screw threads that are part of the body of the sight, as I was screwing it back in. Now it won't screw down fully and the sight will no longer turn on. And since the damage is on the sight body (not the cap's threads), I can't just buy a replacement cap.

FWIW, this was clearly not user error but a fundamental design flaw as I was testing this. I'd first read the manual, which made a weirdly big deal out of "don't cross-thread the cap" in a way I found overstated and odd. So I was being hyper-careful when I was replacing the cap. First, the cap just spun and spun without tightening down as I turned my screwdriver, and I realized that the rubber O-ring was thick enough that the threads won't even engage unless you apply more-than-mild downward force with your screwdriver. So I pushed down moderately with my screwdriver, but BEFORE I turned it, I was already nervous for 2 reasons:

1) The cap is mostly UNDER the aluminum housing surrounding the glass, and any screwdriver you use cannot extend straight up. You are off at least at a 15 degree angle with the screwdriver when it's engaged. So the part of the cap that is oriented under the direction of tilt of your screwdriver is unavoidably going to be receiving more downward pressure by the screwdriver. In other words, you can't help but tilt the cap when pushing down on it with your screwdriver, because the overhanging aluminum surrounding the glass blocks your screwdriver from going straight up / perpendicular to the cap.

2) Making #1 even worse, I tried to use my fingers to push down on the cap to compensate for the screwdriver creating an inevitable tilt when you have to push down at an angle. But it's impossible unless you have the fingers of a very small child, because the aluminum body surrounds the cap on the sides as well, and there is just no room to get your finger in there with a screwdriver engaged.

So I took some comfort initially when the manual said that cross-threading would be "obvious" by increased resistance when turning the cap. So I held my breath and began turning the cap with my tilted screwdriver, pushing down with moderate force to overcome the O-ring, VERY SLOWLY, and was relieved that it felt like there was zero resistance whatsoever. The little bit of initial tilt BEFORE turning appeared to resolve once the threads engaged.

After about 4 rotations of no resistance, and with the cap clearly getting lower as it was screwing down (and to my eye looked perfect - flat and flush with the body), I was feeling really good. Then I felt MILD resistance for 20 degrees of rotation (again, AFTER 4 full rotations of the cap visibly screwing down) and felt a "pop," and all the resistance went away. Now turning the cap was resistance-free for 340 degrees, except for the 20 degrees where the "pop" would occur as it reached the same point in the rotation. = obviously broken.

I removed the cap to visually confirm that the threads were damaged on the sight body, and the only explanation for how this happened is that the cap was cross-threaded. And now the sight doesn't work as the cap cannot tighten properly, so the battery cannot make contact with the body.

So this sight is designed to break itself in a way you can't avoid except by total luck. And every time you put the cap back on, you are playing this unavoidable Russian roulette game every time. I'm happy I just got the sight yesterday, as I'm returning it for a refund and would never buy another.

I say "total luck" above, because:

1) It is physically impossible to push directly down on the cap while installing it due to the overhanging housing. You have to be pushing at an angle, and that inevitably tilts the cap before the threads engage. Which dramatically increases the odds of cross-threading.

2) There is ZERO resistance if you are cross-threaded (contrary to what the manual claims), and you cannot see this either (again, I was HYPER paranoid as I was doing this, as I was extremely uncomfortable that I was having to angle my screwdriver). The first and only feedback you get that you've cross-threaded the cap is the "pop" of you just broke the body of your sight. So if you're doing anything wrong (which is very high risk), you will figure it out only the moment your sight breaks.

No wonder it's not for duty use. I knew (and had chosen to be ok with the fact) that this sight is destroyed if you drop it (which is why it's not for duty use). I just figured I would be really careful and not drop mine. But if you Russian roulette break the sight the first time (or 2nd time, or whenever you get unlucky) the battery needs changing, then it's not fit for any use at all.

Btw, I have 2 x RMRs installed on ACOGs and love them, but imo they are annoyingly small for use on a pistol to the point where I would rather use iron sights. I'd hoped the SRO would be the answer, but definitely not.

Naphtali
04-18-2020, 03:37 PM
I have a theory on this problem - since all the sights ship with a new CR123 installed, and the battery lasts 1-3 years, and this sight is only like 1 year old, I bet the vast majority of owners have never touched their battery cap.

Eyesquared
04-21-2020, 10:55 PM
Your post made me so curious that I had to take the cap off my SRO and put it back on just to see what it is like. I bought it used and judging by the finish wear on the battery cap, the previous owner did in fact remove and replace the battery cap. Fortunately, I did not cross thread the unit as I wouldn't expect Trijicon to warranty my used sight. I will note that it is definitely too fiddly to apply pressure to the top of the battery cap with your fingers and besides, it is totally unnecessary.

I laid the battery cap in place and turned my screwdriver backwards while applying gentle pressure downwards, feeling for the click as the threads passed each other. Then I just screwed it on normally. You shouldn't need to apply any real downward pressure to the top of a threaded item to get it to go, as if the threads are started, the threads will move the cap as you turn it. Once the threads are properly engaged it should be pretty much impossible to cross thread them by applying uneven pressure to the cap, as that would require the threads to literally skip past each other.

For anyone concerned about this, I wouldn't be.

GJM
04-21-2020, 11:08 PM
Between my wife and I, we have changed a bunch of SRO batteries. Had one that we didn’t get the cap tight enough at first, but otherwise no cross threading issues. Coming up on a year of SRO use, across multiple copies. No pistol red sight is as durable as the best rifle red dot optics, and despite hearing of some failure reports from others, the SRO is far and away, the most durable gaming optic we have used. I am yet to need to return a single SRO, and that is a minor miracle given our past experience.

Naphtali
04-22-2020, 09:19 PM
Your post made me so curious that I had to take the cap off my SRO and put it back on just to see what it is like. I bought it used and judging by the finish wear on the battery cap, the previous owner did in fact remove and replace the battery cap. Fortunately, I did not cross thread the unit as I wouldn't expect Trijicon to warranty my used sight. I will note that it is definitely too fiddly to apply pressure to the top of the battery cap with your fingers and besides, it is totally unnecessary.

I laid the battery cap in place and turned my screwdriver backwards while applying gentle pressure downwards, feeling for the click as the threads passed each other. Then I just screwed it on normally. You shouldn't need to apply any real downward pressure to the top of a threaded item to get it to go, as if the threads are started, the threads will move the cap as you turn it. Once the threads are properly engaged it should be pretty much impossible to cross thread them by applying uneven pressure to the cap, as that would require the threads to literally skip past each other.

For anyone concerned about this, I wouldn't be.

How did you get this to work? The combination of the battery on the bottom of the cap and the O ring made the entire cap sit where its threads were fully visible sitting above the sight body. In other words, I had to push down, or the cap's threads were just visibly spinning in the air, above the sight body by about one-half millimeter. It felt like there was some mechanism in the battery recess that "gave" downward like a spring when I pushed down on the cap, which then allowed the lowered threads to engage only during the application of that pressure.

If your battery cap required no downward pressure like mine, then that is a major fundamental difference suggesting that mine was out of spec in some way.

When I spoke to Trijicon about this, the guy said he recommended using fingers-only to put the cap back on. I told him I tried and it was impossible. My fingers are not large, and still they wouldn't fit in the thing to mess with the cap, even without the screwdriver. And the downward force requirement with fingers, plus rotation needed, was utterly impossible.

I'm returning this sight for a refund, but I'd consider buying another from another seller who also has a full refund policy. I'd probably try again with fingers only per Trijicon and see if that's hogwash. Regardless, one way or another I would take that damn battery cap on and off about 30 times in a row successfully, before I'd keep the sight past the seller's 30 day return period. I'll re-post results here, as I can feel myself caving to doing this experiment.

Eyesquared
04-23-2020, 09:17 AM
I don't know if I could get the leverage to turn the cap with my fingers, it's such a tight space and IMO is only going to result in more fumbling and a higher chance of messing something up. The really important part is turning the cap in reverse until you know the threads are aligned. I think the battery cap has been revised with a different O-ring since the initial launch so that may account for some of the difference.

mrozowjj
04-24-2020, 03:08 PM

His Sage Dynamics red dot reviews are incredibly well done and the white paper he publishes and updates after reviewing them is the best commonly available source on pistol mounted red dots that exists currently.

The PDF is linked on his front page for those that are curious:
https://www.sagedynamics.org/

My key takeaways from his testing is the only red dot optic that will standup to the most punishing tests are the Trijicon RMRs. That weird shape to the hood with the 2 pointed ears was designed to take the impacts so they will just chug along. Surprisingly the second most durable optic out there is the Holosun 407/507 series with the newer Titanium models being the only other optic in production that have had no failures in his testing (The aluminum framed Holosuns had the glass crack but remained functional with a zereo'd dot)

The SRO is simply not a duty optic, in his video he states this over and over again just to hammer home the point that the SRO is simply too fragile to trust. The glass broke after a single drop which is something even more of the cheaper Chinese made optics didn't do. The SRO is for USPSA/IDPA and other shooting sports guns and range use.

Gio
05-09-2020, 06:45 PM
My SRO broke already. 2 months in, less than 2000 rounds and it is so dim I can’t see it in the sunlight. Tried two fresh battery swaps before sending it back to Trijicon. New one should be here this week.

Keith E.
05-15-2020, 06:09 AM
My SRO broke already. 2 months in, less than 2000 rounds and it is so dim I can’t see it in the sunlight. Tried two fresh battery swaps before sending it back to Trijicon. New one should be here this week.

Please post updates as to CS and service life of the new optic.

Thanks,
Keith

JSGlock34
05-15-2020, 01:38 PM
For what it's worth I had to send a SRO back to Trijicon for an issue that was entirely my fault. Trijicon had a replacement optic on the way to me within two weeks. I've always been impressed with Trijicon CS.

agksimon
05-16-2020, 07:19 AM

I had this same problem with two of my SRO's and it was as simple as removing the battery cap and with a toothpick, put a little silicone grease on the thread of the cap, but not enough to get down in the electronics and then tighten the cap on TIGHT. Problem completely cured. If you look down in there, the negative part of the battery makes contact with a chamfer in the frame and it has to be tight.

OldRunner/CSAT Neighbor
05-16-2020, 03:05 PM
I had this same problem with two of my SRO's and it was as simple as removing the battery cap and with a toothpick, put a little silicone grease on the thread of the cap, but not enough to get down in the electronics and then tighten the cap on TIGHT. Problem completely cured. If you look down in there, the negative part of the battery makes contact with a chamfer in the frame and it has to be tight.

Per Trij. CS my SRO was unable to be repaired & they PROMPTLY sent me a 5 MOA replacement as mine was a 2.5.

That said I’ll agree w/ JSGlock34’s post on the previous page that Trij’s CS is impressive & a good role model IMO for other orgs.

NickDrak
05-16-2020, 09:03 PM
I have a theory on this problem - since all the sights ship with a new CR123 installed, and the battery lasts 1-3 years, and this sight is only like 1 year old, I bet the vast majority of owners have never touched their battery cap.

I currently own 3 SRO’s and I sold a 1moa SRO to a friend that had Approx 6k rounds on it. I have definitely touched the battery cap on all of them because the first thing I do when I get a new Trijicon SRO is replace the Energizer CR2032 with a Duracell 2032.

I also swap the battery every 90 days in all of my SROs as routine maintenance and have been tuning SROs exclusively for the past 10 months now. .

While I do think Trijicon should include a battery cap tool in the box with the SROs, I haven’t managed to screw up the threads on any of mine using a standard medium sized flathead screwdriver, and I manage to break most things I put my hands on.

I also recommend putting a small amount of grease around the threads of the cap and start reverse threading the cap on until it engages the threads and snaps into place, then start turning the cap clockwise.

agksimon
05-17-2020, 03:38 AM
I made this battery cap removal tool out of a toe nail clipper. It fits the cap very well and the offset allows it to fit in there straight.

agksimon
05-17-2020, 08:04 PM
I did forget to mention that I run my SRO on manual, as I find the automatic mode too dark for me, especially when wearing sunglasses. I want that dot standing out.

bocephus3006
06-08-2020, 10:49 AM

How did they handle this? How long did it take to receive the return shipping email? i just had one quit working laying on my desk not even being used after 1 month of owning it. I am hoping they will let me return and give me a credit to spend on something else. The SRO has lost my confidence. it will defiantly be going on ebay if they send it back to me, and I will spend my $ with a different company.

agksimon
06-08-2020, 01:27 PM
As I mentioned above, I had the same problem and found that the battery cap has to be extremely tight or it will not work or quit working. Putting a little silicone grease on the threads and rubber gasket with a toothpick helps a lot to get it tight and get it back apart. Try these two things and see if it helps. If you look down in there, it's not a regular contact but a machined surface that the battery makes contact with and the cap has to be very tight.

newt
08-04-2020, 08:58 AM
Anyone have any updates on these? I want to try one, I admit, but not until I hear more about these issues?

Eyesquared
08-04-2020, 09:13 AM
Anyone have any updates on these? I want to try one, I admit, but not until I hear more about these issues?
No news is good news. I'm only up to around 4.5k on mine, which is too early in the slide ride red dot life cycle to say much for its durability. Based on what I've been seeing from other competitive shooters, there seem to be 2-3 main issues (elevation adjustment wandering, emitter coming loose, battery cap) and if you don't get those the SRO seems to last a very long time.

agksimon
08-04-2020, 10:05 AM

I've got about 1000 rounds on mine and it's still running great and has kept zero.

If you're worried about dropping and wrecking it, you can now get a guard for it.

http://jagerwerks.com/pre-order-b-r-o-s-4-6-weeks/

1911Nut
08-04-2020, 03:29 PM
I'm about 1500 rounds in on mine and have a second one being mounted on another gun.

I shoot with a couple of other shooters who have recently purchased and installed one on their guns, but they have less time on them than mine.

Zero complaints from me or the other two shooters at this point.

Tokarev
08-04-2020, 04:06 PM
How did they handle this? How long did it take to receive the return shipping email? i just had one quit working laying on my desk not even being used after 1 month of owning it. I am hoping they will let me return and give me a credit to spend on something else. The SRO has lost my confidence. it will defiantly be going on ebay if they send it back to me, and I will spend my $ with a different company.It has been awhile but I remember having the return email pretty quickly. Once Trijicon had it received they were pretty quick to ship the replacement.

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk

pastaslinger
11-17-2020, 05:02 PM
What have people's experiences been with more recent SRO's? I am debating between an SRO versus RMR type 2 for a direct mount to a milled Glock slide.

HCM
11-17-2020, 05:15 PM
I have two 2.5 MOs SROs- one on a G17 Gen 5 MOS with about 3k rounds on it, including a 2 day MSP red dot class and a second on a G35 Gen 4 MOS with a few hundred so far. Both on C&H v3 plates. No issues so far.

Eyesquared
11-17-2020, 07:21 PM
What have people's experiences been with more recent SRO's? I am debating between an SRO versus RMR type 2 for a direct mount to a milled Glock slide.

I think no news is probably good news. I don't have a crazy round count, just about 7k on mine, but no issues with the battery cap or zero loss that could be attributed to the optic.

MVS
11-17-2020, 07:29 PM

Mine is still fairly new with only about 3,000 rds through it, I like it a lot for the most part. The one thing I don't like about it is the dot itself. It is like a cluster of grapes. I have Holosuns, RMR's, DPP's, all of them have crisper, clearer dots.

HCM
11-17-2020, 08:10 PM
NickDrak

GJM
11-17-2020, 08:26 PM
I am yet to break one after nearing 18 months shooting them. Far and away, the most durable competition red dot optic I have used or observed.

Eyesquared
11-17-2020, 08:35 PM
Mine is still fairly new with only about 3,000 rds through it, I like it a lot for the most part. The one thing I don't like about it is the dot itself. It is like a cluster of grapes. I have Holosuns, RMR's, DPP's, all of them have crisper, clearer dots.

That is interesting to me because I honestly had the opposite experience. To my eyes the Holosuns look ok, the RMR dot looks pretty bad, and the DPP and SRO are both fine.

GJM
11-17-2020, 08:42 PM
That is interesting to me because I honestly had the opposite experience. To my eyes the Holosuns look ok, the RMR dot looks pretty bad, and the DPP and SRO are both fine.

I try not to look at the dot. :p

Tokarev
11-20-2020, 06:23 AM
I am yet to break one after nearing 18 months shooting them. Far and away, the most durable competition red dot optic I have used or observed.One of my acquaintances is a SWAT officer in the metro Phoenix area. He's using an SRO on his Gen5 Glock as his duty optic. He has no durability issues with his. He's not intentionally trying to break it but he isn't being overly cautious with it either. He's bumped and banged it getting in and out of vehicles, etc. He uses the same gun and optic to shoot carry optics and has had no issues.

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk

Bergeron
11-20-2020, 08:26 AM
I just received a couple of Jagerwerks BROS shields for the SRO.

https://jagerwerks.com/b-r-o-s/

My only SRO-application is a single optic that I'm having direct milled onto a non-reciprocating .22 sight base for a competition gun, so I really don't have any worthwhile comments on rugged handling, but I figure that it can't hurt.

newt
05-18-2021, 05:38 AM
Necropost, but I ordered an SRO last week. Figured they have to have worked out some issues by now. Got it, mounted it. Love the window! Did a little dry fire with it. Put it away last night, woke up this morning, it's dead. It's been one week. Replaced the battery, nothing.

I haven't even shot with it yet. Haven't done ANYTHING with it yet. So a year and half later, my experience mirrors that or the OP's.

Sad trombone.

Artemas2
05-18-2021, 07:18 AM
Necropost, but I ordered an SRO last week. Figured they have to have worked out some issues by now. Got it, mounted it. Love the window! Did a little dry fire with it. Put it away last night, woke up this morning, it's dead. It's been one week. Replaced the battery, nothing.

I haven't even shot with it yet. Haven't done ANYTHING with it yet. So a year and half later, my experience mirrors that or the OP's.

Sad trombone.

Where did you order it from?

Asking for two reasons. I have been looking for ~6 weeks for a 5 MOA and they're out of stock every where, two is that there has been a huge number of fake SROs showing up in holsters that don't hold up.

No idea what you situation is but here is some info if you want to check

https://youtu.be/sLt8mvYdgjQ

newt
05-18-2021, 07:27 AM
I ordered from Brownells, so I certainly hope this is the real deal. Will check asap.

mmc45414
05-18-2021, 07:37 AM
Note to self, might be another good reason to buy from Brownells on something like this...
Currently OOS on SRO but RMR is available.

newt
05-18-2021, 07:56 AM
I will say: GREAT customer service. Called, answered right away. Will have return info in a few minutes. Even asked if I could swap RMR for the SRO, but I doubt they'll let me.

Eyesquared
05-18-2021, 05:26 PM
I'm up to about 10k and I'm sending mine back to Trijicon. Elevation dial doesn't have tactile or audible clicks anymore. However, it appears to be holding zero for now. In the long run I don't think any of the slide mounted dots are so durable that you can expect them to last forever.

GJM
05-18-2021, 05:29 PM
Cliff notes version of the video is to look and feel for the ridge on top of the front lens.

UNK
05-18-2021, 05:59 PM
Ive never seen a SRO and dont know how much space is needed to get to the battery cap.
I wonder if there is enough room for something like this.
https://www.penntoolco.com/LS64250/?gclid=CjwKCAjwy42FBhB2EiwAJY0yQquQJ6LVkVSB_1qSGYY fyZ-5E1AEZgSNjtBuMMkB0Af8rlspgoM60hoCJlgQAvD_BwE

Eyesquared
05-18-2021, 07:43 PM
Ive never seen a SRO and dont know how much space is needed to get to the battery cap.
I wonder if there is enough room for something like this.
https://www.penntoolco.com/LS64250/?gclid=CjwKCAjwy42FBhB2EiwAJY0yQquQJ6LVkVSB_1qSGYY fyZ-5E1AEZgSNjtBuMMkB0Af8rlspgoM60hoCJlgQAvD_BwE

Not much need IMO. If you have a big flathead screwdriver that'll suffice.

jerdog3
08-25-2021, 10:35 AM

I just got contacted by Scopelist.com and they had to cancel and refund my SRO order because they are having problems with a bunch of the SRO buttons. They are sending them all back to Trijicon. This may be a bigger issue than just your SRO.

rcbusmc24
08-25-2021, 02:55 PM
I have one on a LTT Beretta that just quit working after having it mounted for less than two weeks, tried multiple new batteries and it remains dead... I need to send it back to the mothership but have not had time recently....

Stony Lane
08-26-2021, 04:59 PM
My 5.0 shut off, changed the battery, worked for one day and then shut off again. I sent it in on a Monday and had a new one back the next Saturday (6 days!). A friend's (2.5) won't hold the zero, Trijicon is sending him a new one.

PoopyAnalysisGuy
09-25-2021, 11:43 AM
Adding a datapoint. I also had to send mine back for an exchange.

2021 model. Received, function checked, installed, stored for a week or so, wouldn't turn on with any button combination.

Got a new one and it's going on my fun gun. Never trusting Trijicon dots with my life.

Pre-pandemic I received tritium pistol sights that had a front screw that was too long or a front sight that wasn't threaded deep enough. Either way, sent it back. In my experience their QC isn't as good as their customer service. Though my sample size is small, I've never received a Trijicon product that was G2G out of the box.

1911Nut
09-26-2021, 07:57 PM
Running three SRO's . . . . . all 5 MOA.

Two on CZ Shadow 1's (mounted on plates by CZ Custom) and one on a CZ Shadow 2 (mounted directly to the machined slide by CZ Custom).

The Shadow 2 has low round count with zero problems.

One of the Shadow 1 pistols had the battery fail at about 2 1/2 years, and I replaced it.

The other Shadow 1 had the left optic mounting screw shear off in the slide. It is currently at CZ Custom and they are removing the broken screw and remounting the optic now, and they will replace the battery while they have it. It's been in use right at two years.

So I guess I have had one "issue", but none (zero) have been with any of the optics.

YVK
09-27-2021, 12:44 AM
5 MOA unit on my match Shadow 2 is done. 12K or so rounds. The dot brightness intensity doesn't stay set, goes down with shots. Screwed my state match up a bit but I thought I fixed it with a new battery. Then it did it again, and again today. Shock buffs all along, 10 to 11 recoil springs, and 11 to 14 hammer springs.
Looks like Trij CS is getting tested with these.

Artemas2
09-27-2021, 09:48 AM
Every time I think about making the switch to carry optics this thread comes back up:(

Does anyone have an optic than can make it past the 20K mark yet? I really don't want to have a $400-$600 piece of gear be an annual replacement.
I do have a 2017 type 1 rmr that is still going at 8k. but I am getting reluctant to use it more.

GJM
09-27-2021, 09:54 AM
While the plural of anecdote is not data, my wife and I have a half dozen or more SRO units, and have not had a single failure. These units go back to year one of production, and each have many thousands of rounds on them in the years since we bought them. The SRO units have been so durable for us, that I try to practice with a SRO and reserve the Romeo 3 Max/XL optics for matches.

Default.mp3
09-27-2021, 12:52 PM
Every time I think about making the switch to carry optics this thread comes back up:(

Does anyone have an optic than can make it past the 20K mark yet? I really don't want to have a $400-$600 piece of gear be an annual replacement.
I do have a 2017 type 1 rmr that is still going at 8k. but I am getting reluctant to use it more.FWIW, one of my Type 1 RMR RM06es got to 16431 rounds without any issue that couldn't be solved with a fresh battery. I was also using a Battle Werx Anti-Flicker Sealing Plate, though I don't remember what round count I had installed it at. My other Type 1 RMR saw much lower round counts, since it was on my carry gun, but also did not have any issues.

Perhaps it's simply due to a much smaller user base, but I can't remember of any issues with the ACROs off the top of my head, though they're not exactly optimized for CO.

JCS
09-27-2021, 12:57 PM

I do have a 2017 type 1 rmr that is still going at 8k. but I am getting reluctant to use it more.

There are always going to be outliers but there are people who claim
Over 100,000 rounds thru their sro. Most recently I heard 120k thru one optic.

JCN
09-27-2021, 01:09 PM

I’ve had many thousands of rounds through SROs and the only failure I had was my fault (accidentally peeled the bottom plate off ripping an internal wire). Trijicon replaced it for free.

Every optic include my multiple broken Sigs have had great warranties so usually if I care about the game enough I have a backup gun or two anyway.

1911Nut
09-27-2021, 02:58 PM
5 MOA unit on my match Shadow 2 is done. 12K or so rounds. The dot brightness intensity doesn't stay set, goes down with shots. Screwed my state match up a bit but I thought I fixed it with a new battery. Then it did it again, and again today. Shock buffs all along, 10 to 11 recoil springs, and 11 to 14 hammer springs.
Looks like Trij CS is getting tested with these.

Please share the CS test results when complete. Thanks.

YVK
09-27-2021, 11:46 PM

So far, immediate email reply with 8-10 weeks wait time estimate.

MVS
09-28-2021, 07:25 PM
I sent my 2.5 MOA SRO out and they received it August 30. They got back to me Sept 22 and said they are unable to fix my unit and will be sending me a new one, watch for a notice from UPS when it ships. I am still watching. My 5MOA SRO is still going strong after about 5,000 rounds which is more than I can say about the Q5 which I just took it off of to send back to Walther after 9,000 rounds.

KevH
09-30-2021, 10:46 AM
Based on a conversation I had with Trijicon in February and then a conversation with them a couple weeks ago they're having major supply chain issues just like everyone else.

They've put out a great super-reliable product for decades. If I had to venture a guess they got a bad batch of internals from their supplier and it's going to cost them quite a bit to fix it (both monetarily and in reputation).

I'm not going to give up on them as a company or on their products. I have no doubt they will make it right, but I think they're going to need time.

Order anything recently from anyone? It's likely sitting in a container ship somewhere outside Long Beach because we don't actually "make" much of anything in this country anymore, especially when it comes to raw materials and electronic chipsets. I'm sure parts that go into assembling a SRO are no different.

MVS
10-03-2021, 10:05 AM
Received my replacement 2.5 MOA yesterday. It appears as it should. May sell this one as I have found I much prefer the 5MOA. Not sure.

YVK
10-13-2021, 10:11 PM

10/6 received by Trijicon
10/7 deemed unrepairable, no explanation
10/13 replacement unit delivered to my place

1911Nut
10-14-2021, 10:31 AM
10/6 received by Trijicon
10/7 deemed unrepairable, no explanation
10/13 replacement unit delivered to my place

Pretty hard to beat that service!!

Archer1440
10-29-2021, 06:57 PM
For those looking: SRO’s (2.5 MOA) are back in stock at Kenzie’s as of the time of this post.

KevH
03-11-2022, 02:43 PM
Based on a conversation I had with Trijicon in February and then a conversation with them a couple weeks ago they're having major supply chain issues just like everyone else.

They've put out a great super-reliable product for decades. If I had to venture a guess they got a bad batch of internals from their supplier and it's going to cost them quite a bit to fix it (both monetarily and in reputation).

I'm not going to give up on them as a company or on their products. I have no doubt they will make it right, but I think they're going to need time.

Order anything recently from anyone? It's likely sitting in a container ship somewhere outside Long Beach because we don't actually "make" much of anything in this country anymore, especially when it comes to raw materials and electronic chipsets. I'm sure parts that go into assembling a SRO are no different.

I placed my order back on 9/18/21 through the LE Instructor program for a 5moa SRO. They just charged my card today and I called them to and they said it would ship within a few days.

When I bought a RM07 from them back in 2019 through the same program I had it in 10 days.

Ah, the good old days a couple years ago :rolleyes:

MVS
03-11-2022, 07:16 PM
I placed my order back on 9/18/21 through the LE Instructor program for a 5moa SRO. They just charged my card today and I called them to and they said it would ship within a few days.

When I bought a RM07 from them back in 2019 through the same program I had it in 10 days.

Better late than never, but that is crazy. Still loving my 5 moa SRO.

El Cid
03-11-2022, 07:45 PM

Maybe it’s the type? I used that same program to order an RMR07 last month. They told me 3 to 4 weeks but I had it 6 days later.

MVS
03-11-2022, 08:27 PM
Maybe it’s the type? I used that same program to order an RMR07 last month. They told me 3 to 4 weeks but I had it 6 days later.

Almost no doubt it is the model. SRO's have been pretty hard to come by for a while.

Archer1440
03-14-2022, 01:28 AM
I have a friend who I’ve gotten into USPSA recently, and two days ago he called to tell me he had found an optics ready VP9L pistol and wanted an SRO. I found him a 5 MOA SRO and HK #2 plate at a decent price from a vendor I have done a lot of business with, with a 15-second search.

It could just be good timing, but they are out there now.

OldRunner/CSAT Neighbor
03-14-2022, 08:23 AM
I have a friend who I’ve gotten into USPSA recently, and two days ago he called to tell me he had found an optics ready VP9L pistol and wanted an SRO. I found him a 5 MOA SRO and HK #2 plate at a decent price from a vendor I have done a lot of business with, with a 15-second search.

It could just be good timing, but they are out there now.

Agreed as I see them frequently on USPSA exchange on MyFace, saw one there 7 hrs. ago @ $550.

Pnut
04-08-2022, 07:57 PM
I’ve had an SRO on my STI 2011 .45 for 3 years with 2-3k rounds through it. I haven’t had any problems with the RDS, only STI’s HOST mounting system.

I recently noticed something odd with the dot though. I’ve noticed a horizontal line of tiny dots under the main 2.5 MOA dot. I don’t know if was always there or just recently appeared. I attempted to photograph the line, but my photo skills are lacking. The photo shows a ghost image of the line, but it’s much more defined in real life.

I looked over the RDS and noticed small bubbles under the lens. Has anyone else experienced the line or have these bubbles?

GJM
04-08-2022, 08:04 PM
In the past few months, I have had two very high round count SRO optics develop phantom sub dots or scatter. Both were repaired by Trijicon, meaning I received the same repaired optic back that I sent in.

Pnut
04-08-2022, 08:21 PM
Do you think the bubbles under the lens caused the line? Do your repaired SROs have the bubbles? I don’t know if the bubbles were always there or if they developed from recoil.

GJM
04-08-2022, 08:33 PM
Do you think the bubbles under the lens caused the line? Do your repaired SROs have the bubbles? I don’t know if the bubbles were always there or if they developed from recoil.

I am away at a weekend match with no SRO optics.

Pnut
04-08-2022, 10:27 PM
Thanks GJM… hopefully another SRO owner will chime in.

HCM
04-08-2022, 11:52 PM
I’ve had an SRO on my STI 2011 .45 for 3 years with 2-3k rounds through it. I haven’t had any problems with the RDS, only STI’s HOST mounting system.

I recently noticed something odd with the dot though. I’ve noticed a horizontal line of tiny dots under the main 2.5 MOA dot. I don’t know if was always there or just recently appeared. I attempted to photograph the line, but my photo skills are lacking. The photo shows a ghost image of the line, but it’s much more defined in real life.

I looked over the RDS and noticed small bubbles under the lens. Has anyone else experienced the line or have these bubbles?

Based on prior experiences with an EoTech rifle optic my guess is the bubbles and scatter are signs the lense is delaminating.,

Contact Trijicon, they are pretty good on warranty issues.

Pnut
04-09-2022, 12:19 AM
Thanks HCM, I just sent them an email!

JCN
04-09-2022, 06:44 AM
Thanks GJM… hopefully another SRO owner will chime in.

Mine have some very tiny bubbles in the same area (adhesive to anchor lenses).

Stupid question, you’ve cleaned the emitter right?

Pnut
04-09-2022, 10:16 AM
I’ve wiped the lens a few times with a lens towel a few times, but I’ve never touched the emitter. Is there a proper technique for the emitter?

GearFondler
04-09-2022, 10:43 AM
I’ve wiped the lens a few times with a lens towel a few times, but I’ve never touched the emitter. Is there a proper technique for the emitter?

I've used a Q-tip with the tip bent at an angle for my RMR's. I usually pull off some of the cotton to shrink the size of the head.

Pnut
04-09-2022, 12:52 PM
I tried cleaning the emitter but the line is still there. I took a new pic that shows the line a little better. I’m fairly convinced that the line is light being reflected off the bubbles on the lower edge since the line is created by a bunch of random small dots. Still waiting for a response from Trijicon, but I’ll keep you guys updated. 87189

JCN
04-09-2022, 01:26 PM
I tried cleaning the emitter but the line is still there. I took a new pic that shows the line a little better. I’m fairly convinced that the line is light being reflected off the bubbles on the lower edge since the line is created by a bunch of random small dots. Still waiting for a response from Trijicon, but I’ll keep you guys updated. 87189

Did you try cleaning or did you clean it… :)

If I were a betting man I’d still bet emitter reflection as the low part of the lens where bubbles are… is pretty low.

But you can test it by putting a paster or piece of electrical tape over the bubbles to see.

The emitter cover is generally plastic so use eyeglass cleaner on a Q-tip.

Pnut
04-09-2022, 01:34 PM
I just ran a dry qtip over the emitter, but I’ll do it again with some lens cleaner!

Pnut
04-11-2022, 02:51 PM
I got a reply from Trijicon Customer Service. They think it may be caused by bubbles in the EMITTER LENS… not the front lens. I’ll need to send it in for service. Estimated 8 week down time!!!

JCN
04-11-2022, 03:50 PM
I got a reply from Trijicon Customer Service. They think it may be caused by bubbles in the EMITTER LENS… not the front lens. I’ll need to send it in for service. Estimated 8 week down time!!!

I’m assuming cleaning it with lens cleaner didn’t help, right?

Pnut
04-11-2022, 05:05 PM
Tried it. Trijicon said the same thing so I tried it again. They based their analysis on the photos I sent. Don’t know if this plays any role, but mine was an early production, SN #002XXX

Pnut
04-13-2022, 02:07 PM
Well my SRO is in rout back to Trijicon. I’ll report back on the outcome in 8 weeks… meanwhile, I’ll bed my mounting plate with the E6000. The E6000 should be cured by then…

Archer1440
04-13-2022, 04:27 PM
Well my SRO is in rout back to Trijicon. I’ll report back on the outcome in 8 weeks… meanwhile, I’ll bed my mounting plate with the E6000. The E6000 should be cured by then…

Hopefully they will underpromise and overperform on that lead time.

Pnut
05-04-2022, 08:15 PM
Bringing life to an old thread!!! Trijicon received my SRO for warranty work on 4/20/22. Just got a shipping number and my SRO should be back by 5/7!!! They originally gave a time estimate of 8 weeks, so I am very happy…. Just hope the problem is fixed!!!

ECK
05-05-2022, 11:15 AM
I’m in the same boat. Contacted Trijicon beginning of April re my SRO that was acting up then quit working. CS sent me a RA and shipping label within the hour and quoted 5-6 weeks turn around. Fast forward 4 weeks and I received an email the other day saying it is coming back to me. The email didn’t specify what went wrong or what their solution was, but according to tracking # it should arrive tomorrow. I’m hoping they replaced it rather than repaired… but we’ll see. I got almost 3 USPSA shooting seasons out of the dot before it started acting wonky on me.

Been shooting my backup gun that is also equipped with a SRO…

Pnut
05-07-2022, 04:53 PM
Got my SRO back! It was definitely mine and not a new or refurbished piece because it had all the nicks, scratches and witness marks still on it. There was alittle inspectors not with it that said “OK,” but nothing saying what was done.

I turned it on and everything looks fine. Now I need to get to the range to test it and re-zero it.

ECK
05-07-2022, 08:26 PM
I’m in the same boat. Contacted Trijicon beginning of April re my SRO that was acting up then quit working. CS sent me a RA and shipping label within the hour and quoted 5-6 weeks turn around. Fast forward 4 weeks and I received an email the other day saying it is coming back to me. The email didn’t specify what went wrong or what their solution was, but according to tracking # it should arrive tomorrow. I’m hoping they replaced it rather than repaired… but we’ll see. I got almost 3 USPSA shooting seasons out of the dot before it started acting wonky on me.

Been shooting my backup gun that is also equipped with a SRO…

Brown truck dropped off my SRO today. According to the packing slip they repaired it by replacing the 5MOA electronics kit and also replaced the dichroic doublet lens. I’m not sure why they replaced the lens, I didn’t have any issues with the original, but happy they took the time. No charge.

Time to remount and sight it back in. Overall I’m satisfied/happy with how Trijicon treated me.

HCM
05-07-2022, 09:10 PM
I picked up a five MOA model from primary arms. The buttons were extremely stiff compared to my other SROs and I could not get the sight to turn on even though it had a battery installed. I tried swapping the battery and apparently cross threaded the battery cap despite having three other SROs.

It’s on its way back to the mothership, will report back when I get it back.

GJM
05-07-2022, 09:18 PM
I picked up a five MOA model from primary arms. The buttons were extremely stiff compared to my other SROs and I could not get the sight to turn on even though it had a battery installed. I tried swapping the battery and apparently cross threaded the battery cap despite having three other SROs.

Replacing the battery is awkward, and I use a special stubby screw driver and take my time doing it, making sure to get the cap very tight.

Pnut
05-07-2022, 09:36 PM
I just checked the box and found a paper that stated the light source lens was replaced.

Archer1440
05-08-2022, 11:48 PM
I use Nyogel 760G grease (intended for tactical flashlight cap threads and O-rings) on the battery cap threads and O-rings of all 4 of my SRO’s and reverse to the lead (turn backward until you feel the threads match up) when installing the caps. Never had an issue of any sort, but this helps a lot in getting the cap started properly.

I use the same grease on all my Modlite handhelds and pistol lights- really helps with preventing galling and thread wear.

JCN
05-09-2022, 06:32 AM

Sorry that happened to you! That’s frustrating!

I have thought an optic was broken only to find that I had it on low night vision setting and couldn’t see the dot. I even sent it back! The technician note pleasantly informed me of my error. :eek:

I don’t remember who showed me this, it was either here or on Enos but there’s a guy who makes these. I would post a link but it’s just a dude and his email so I didn’t want to post in on a forum out of courtesy.

DM me and I would be happy to pass it your way. If enough people want them he might have another run done. It was $25 when I bought it a year ago.

HCM
05-09-2022, 08:27 AM
Sorry that happened to you! That’s frustrating!

I have thought an optic was broken only to find that I had it on low night vision setting and couldn’t see the dot. I even sent it back! The technician note pleasantly informed me of my error. :eek:

I don’t remember who showed me this, it was either here or on Enos but there’s a guy who makes these. I would post a link but it’s just a dude and his email so I didn’t want to post in on a forum out of courtesy.

DM me and I would be happy to pass it your way. If enough people want them he might have another run done. It was $25 when I bought it a year ago.

That SRO tool screen looks more substantial than the 3-D printed plastic one I purchased.

Regarding the optic, something was off with it because the buttons were extremely hard to push to compared to my other SROs and RMRs.

Pnut
05-10-2022, 11:57 PM
Seeing that battery tool inspired me… mine looks cheap and ugly but it works!

Pnut
05-11-2022, 08:58 AM
After making and testing my tool, I realized what a pain it is to change the battery! I guess since I’ve had the SRO, I’ve only change the battery once or twice. The last time was over a year ago. Even with the tool, you can only get about 1/3 of a turn before needing to reposition it. Thank goodness I’ll only need to change it once a year.

JCN
05-11-2022, 10:39 AM
After making and testing my tool, I realized what a pain it is to change the battery! I guess since I’ve had the SRO, I’ve only change the battery once or twice. The last time was over a year ago. Even with the tool, you can only get about 1/3 of a turn before needing to reposition it. Thank goodness I’ll only need to change it once a year.

I usually go to light sensing mode when not in use (faster than holding to turn off) and that saves battery. Batteries last >2 years.

Clusterfrack
05-11-2022, 10:45 AM
there’s a guy who makes these. I would post a link but it’s just a dude and his email so I didn’t want to post in on a forum out of courtesy.

...If enough people want them he might have another run done. It was $25 when I bought it a year ago.

I bet there are a few people on P-F who would be interested if he did another run of these tools. I know a few people locally as well.

Pnut
05-11-2022, 10:55 AM
Not sure if this is the same guy, but I found this…

https://thesrotool.com/

JCN
05-11-2022, 11:01 AM
I bet there are a few people on P-F who would be interested if he did another run of these tools. I know a few people locally as well.

Same guy! I was just coming to post that!

Clusterfrack
05-11-2022, 11:11 AM

Purchased... through one of the worst websites ever. This dude needs dev help from someone asap.

Pnut
05-11-2022, 12:07 PM
Ordered one as well… and yes, the site sucks. No direct link to payment, you need to scan the bar code!?!?

Pnut
05-13-2022, 03:55 PM
My SRO tool arrived today. It’s a quality part and shipping was fast. But being the tinkerer that I am, I made 2 small mods.

I guess due to the manufacturing process, the entire thing has a rough pebble grain finish, including the mating surface. I smoother the mating surface with my Dremel and a scotchbrite wheel.

I also drew some hash marks to make it easier to line up with the battery cap slots.

ECK
05-13-2022, 06:12 PM
I added the same hash marks on the top side of the tool!

Mark D
11-04-2022, 02:09 PM
I'm contemplating buying SROs for CCW and range use on Glocks. My only hesitation is the SRO's glare and double dot issues.

Is there any lens treatment that helps reduce the problems with a low sun angle? (Without resorting to tape or sunshades, as discussed in this thread http://glare and double dot issues )

Are any of the SRO models more/less susceptible to glare and double dot issues? For example, is the 5 MOA version less problematic than the 1 MOA version?

Bucky
11-04-2022, 04:41 PM
I'm contemplating buying SROs for CCW and range use on Glocks. My only hesitation is the SRO's glare and double dot issues.

Is there any lens treatment that helps reduce the problems with a low sun angle? (Without resorting to tape or sunshades, as discussed in this thread http://glare and double dot issues )

Are any of the SRO models more/less susceptible to glare and double dot issues? For example, is the 5 MOA version less problematic than the 1 MOA version?

I’ve run the SRO all year on my USPSA carry optics pistol. No issues whatsoever. Cant say the same for my Delta Point. :(

ETA: I’m running a 5MOA.

JCS
11-04-2022, 05:51 PM

There’s not anything out there that’s a perfect solution. JCN made a cover for his with one of those stone bridgegunworks covers.

But even with the front taped you can still get a double dot as I discovered

https://youtube.com/shorts/cKPD6KxDHsQ?feature=share

It’s just a trade off I take for the best reliability on the market. Hwansik said his main SRo is 180,000 rounds now without an issue.

Clusterfrack
11-04-2022, 05:56 PM
As JCS said, there's no perfect optic. The SRO, Acro, and 509t2 all seem to be durable enough for high round counts. Because of its window size, the SRO is my preferred competition optic, despite its crappy glass and double-dot issue. For carry, I wouldn't choose one.

There’s not anything out there that’s a perfect solution. JCN made a cover for his with one of those stone bridgegunworks covers.

It’s just a trade off I take for the best reliability on the market. Hwansik said his main SRo is 180,000 rounds now without an issue.

Bucky
11-06-2022, 05:32 AM
As JCS said, there's no perfect optic. The SRO, Acro, and 509t2 all seem to be durable enough for high round counts. Because of its window size, the SRO is my preferred competition optic, despite its crappy glass and double-dot issue. For carry, I wouldn't choose one.

What minute dot are you using in you SRO?

Archer1440
11-06-2022, 09:58 AM
In three seasons I have a cumulative round total just over approximately 33K on the same SRO (2.5). Most of the round count has been accumulated in USPSA matches, Steel Challenge, and range time. One week in a Gunsite 499 where the optic saw a bit of abuse (racking off holster, rolling in gravel, etc). 27 USPSA and 25 Steel Challenge matches.

One battery change.

One issue this past July- Mounting screws for optic-to-plate loosened a smidge at around the 30K round count, removed and replaced with fresh fasteners and appropriate Loctite, and had a perfect RTZ. This occurred sometime during the 2022 USPSA state championship, which was in 95-100º temperatures, and at times the pistol was quite hot. It didn't degrade practical accuracy to any notable degree, but I could feel the optic move a tiny bit if I wrenched on it by hand.

I feel it has proven to be fully reliable for my specific needs.

Clusterfrack
11-06-2022, 10:48 AM
What minute dot are you using in you SRO?

5moa.

Gio
11-08-2022, 03:13 PM
I've had two SRO's (5moa and 2.5moa) on my match and training CO pistols for the last ~2 years.

The training SRO has approx 15k through it. I did have one issue with the training SRO very early on when it had less than 500 rounds on it. It got dim and would hardly visible even at the highest brightness setting. I sent it in for repair and they fixed it and sent it back. I haven't had any issues on it since.

I use the kydex piece that occludes the window when I need to deal with shooting directly into the sun. This has happened to me 3 times in a match. Shooting into the sun can be tricky whether you're shooting irons or RDS. There was a stage at nationals a few years back in Florida that I shot on the production super squad and there was a no-shoot swinger at about 15 yards directly in to the sun over the berm. Most of the shooters on the squad had misses or horrible hits on that target.

JCN
11-08-2022, 03:19 PM
I've had two SRO's (5moa and 2.5moa) on my match and training CO pistols for the last ~2 years.

The training SRO has approx 15k through it. I did have one issue with the training SRO very early on when it had less than 500 rounds on it. It got dim and would hardly visible even at the highest brightness setting. I sent it in for repair and they fixed it and sent it back. I haven't had any issues on it since.

I use the kydex piece that occludes the window when I need to deal with shooting directly into the sun. This has happened to me 3 times in a match. Shooting into the sun can be tricky whether you're shooting irons or RDS. There was a stage at nationals a few years back in Florida that I shot on the production super squad and there was a no-shoot swinger at about 15 yards directly in to the sun over the berm. Most of the shooters on the squad had misses or horrible hits on that target.

I made that piece into a half cutout sun visor

Dov
11-22-2022, 01:45 PM
In the past few months, I have had two very high round count SRO optics develop phantom sub dots or scatter. Both were repaired by Trijicon, meaning I received the same repaired optic back that I sent in.

Just curious if you remember what very high round count means here? Like thousands, 10's of thousands, or 100's of thousands?

From what I know of you from your posts on PF I wouldn't venture a guess :)

GJM
11-23-2022, 07:43 PM
Just curious if you remember what very high round count means here? Like thousands, 10's of thousands, or 100's of thousands?

From what I know of you from your posts on PF I wouldn't venture a guess :)

My SRO units that developed emitter issues, and were repaired by Trijicon were bought the first summer the SRO came out, and were in the 15,000-20,000 rounds fired range.

newyork
11-25-2022, 10:15 AM
Would anyone here hesitate to use the SRO for carry and/or defensive use?

Quantrill
11-25-2022, 10:55 AM
Would anyone here hesitate to use the SRO for carry and/or defensive use?

I wouldn’t hesitate.

newyork
11-25-2022, 10:58 AM
Are you doing irons behind or no irons? I’m considering PMM integrated rear. I’d prefer irons forward to get the optic rear and keep blowback off the lens but I’m not sure which way yet. Taking advantage of the Jagerwerks sale

WDR
11-25-2022, 11:04 AM
Are you doing irons behind or no irons? I’m considering PMM integrated rear. I’d prefer irons forward to get the optic rear and keep blowback off the lens but I’m not sure which way yet. Taking advantage of the Jagerwerks sale

Irons forward won't be an option with and SRO... the front of the optic sits over the forward dovetail cut.

newyork
11-25-2022, 11:08 AM
Right. I knew that. I meant irons rear or optic all the way back and PMM integrated. Sorry.

JCN
11-25-2022, 11:10 AM
I wouldn’t hesitate.

The thing that kills it for me is the low sun angle false dot.

Even experienced shooters have been fooled by it under stress and shot multiple times at a target missing before realizing it.

It’s a fatal flaw for carry IMO.

GJM
Clusterfrack

I would rather have an unequivocal dot / reticle and a smaller window for carry.

newyork
11-25-2022, 11:15 AM
JCN, you just pushed me to another rmr. Thank you!

Quantrill
11-25-2022, 11:28 AM
My carry gun has an rmr but my gamer gun has an SRO. if my rmr died today, I’d likely replace it with an SRO based on my experience. The low sun angle hasn’t been an issue for me. Maybe luck, or that I shoot only shoot local matches and it hasn’t been exposed.

My SRO also lives with a TFT on it full time for the past year. YMMV and such

GJM
11-25-2022, 11:33 AM
There were a number of talented shooters in my squad this past weekend shooting SRO optics. Each day, we had an adverse low sun angle on the first stage in the morning. Everyone was aware of the issue. Some taped over the front of their SRO or occluded it with a cover, others went without. One guy without a cover, had four mikes due to the false angle. For this reason, I won't use an SRO on an EDC pistol. I much prefer the 407CO to the RMR. I was just hiking with a low sun angle in the desert, and even though the 407CO has splatter, the donut is easily identifiable.

newyork
11-25-2022, 11:34 AM
An Acro is my other choice and what I’d love to try but it’s expensive, seems huge and a discussion for a different thread.

The 509t is super tempting as is something like GJM just said but (also for another thread) can’t get myself to do Holosun.

GJM
11-25-2022, 11:55 AM
An Acro is my other choice and what I’d love to try but it’s expensive, seems huge and a discussion for a different thread.

The 509t is super tempting as is something like GJM just said but (also for another thread) can’t get myself to do Holosun.

Holosun has innovated more in the last few years than all the rest of the manufacturers combined.

newyork
11-25-2022, 11:58 AM
Holosun has innovated more in the last few years than all the rest of the manufacturers combined.

They have it’s true.

Clusterfrack
11-25-2022, 12:01 PM

I just responded to your PM, and I hope you don't mind if I past my response here:

My question is why? Here are my +/- for the SRO:
(+)
Large window
Extremely durable in terms of rounds fired
Good battery life

(-)
Crappy glass compared with even much cheaper optics
Double dot issue when sun hits emitter
A bit on the large size for CCW
Sits higher than some other optics, requiring taller BUIS
Open emitter can be easily defeated by rain or filled with snow, making aiming difficult or impossible.

The only reason I strongly prefer the SRO to other equally durable optics (509t2, Acro) for competition is the large window that gives me a slight edge in speed. I would say it adds up to 5% to my performance at a match, and that's significant at the level I'm competing against.

If the reason for a larger window is "to not lose my dot", that's a problem that IMO needs to be addressed with serious training and practice --not a SRO.

Clusterfrack
11-25-2022, 12:03 PM

I'm not sure I'd be carrying a RDS if not for Holosun. I'm totally sold on closed emitters, and the 509t2 is a truly excellent design.

1Rangemaster
11-25-2022, 12:23 PM
They have it’s true.

newyork - I get the expense, I really do, as I have a T&E sample at work, but purchased personally-expensive!
But I see it as a case of "buy once, cry once".

We have a couple of instructors who run an SRO-love that window. But most gravitate toward the ACRO with one fellow who loves the green 509. I've shot that in low sun and it does well.

If you held me to one, it'd be ACRO P-2 with a Tango Down front lens protector;that's what I bought!

My 2 cents...

newyork
11-25-2022, 12:29 PM
Between the 509 and acro I want to go acro. Half of that is for ownership of the company not being a Chinese one. 509 price and size are both sweet though.

JCN
11-25-2022, 12:41 PM
My carry gun has an rmr but my gamer gun has an SRO. if my rmr died today, I’d likely replace it with an SRO based on my experience. The low sun angle hasn’t been an issue for me. Maybe luck, or that I shoot only shoot local matches and it hasn’t been exposed.

My SRO also lives with a TFT on it full time for the past year. YMMV and such

You know, that running it occluded prevents false dot…

But I prefer to run my carry optics with a visible window.

Because eye injuries happen, especially in a fight.

Try running an occluded dot with monocular vision….

GJM
11-25-2022, 12:43 PM
I think the Acro works well for field/duty type use. There are definitely better optics for competition. The shape of the Acro makes concealment harder for that application.

Clusterfrack
11-25-2022, 12:49 PM
Between the 509 and acro I want to go acro. Half of that is for ownership of the company not being a Chinese one. 509 price and size are both sweet though.

$500 for the 509t2 vs. $600 for the Acro? Not that much difference in the big picture, when you factor in milling costs. I'd pay $600 for a 509t2.

I have an ACRO on my G20, and it's a perfect fit for that gun. On a G19 size gun, I'd way rather have a 509 or EPS.

newyork
11-25-2022, 12:49 PM
I think the Acro works well for field/duty type use. There are definitely better optics for competition. The shape of the Acro makes concealment harder for that application.

George, you like Clusterfrack, prefer the 509t overall for carry/defense for civilians?

1Rangemaster
11-25-2022, 12:52 PM

Sounds like you’re making a decision. I understand and mostly sympathize on your Chinese point. But there are Americans who have jobs due to Holosun and other companies, say…Apple.

I forgot to mention Steiner. We have one guy running a 1st gen Steiner. He likes it. Battery life will have to be considered. But the ACRO and Trij offerings run 2032s. My personal ACRO is about 11 months on 1st battery, but I have not run it on all the time. If nothing goes down, I’ll change batteries New Years.

“Ya pays ya money,” etc.

Add edit:(not George) I conceal a 19MOS w/ACRO P-2 in a JMCK IWB holster. Can’t say enough good things about Tony’s creations. But I don’t feel real badly about running other sights. I have an EPS “Carry” on a 43X and like it. Still, forced to pick one= ACRO.
YMMV

WobblyPossum
11-25-2022, 01:01 PM
You know, that running it occluded prevents false dot…

But I prefer to run my carry optics with a visible window.

Because eye injuries happen, especially in a fight.

Try running an occluded dot with monocular vision….

There was actually a video on Instagram that Mike Pannone posted a little while back where he was teaching an LE optics class. He was discussing occluded optic shooting and then demonstrated it. I was impressed because he doesn’t have binocular vision due to the loss of his right eye.

POI shifts while shooting occluded is also the big clue I’ve seen that someone might not have binocular vision even if they have two eyes and they might not know they have a vision issue.

JCN
11-25-2022, 01:06 PM
There was actually a video on Instagram that Mike Pannone posted a little while back where he was teaching an LE optics class. He was discussing occluded optic shooting and then demonstrated it. I was impressed because he doesn’t have binocular vision due to the loss of his right eye.

I tried it just now and it’s easy to do monocular…. For about out to 7 yards.

Past that and it gets harder to do when the target is small.

newyork
11-25-2022, 01:12 PM
$500 for the 509t2 vs. $600 for the Acro? Not that much difference in the big picture, when you factor in milling costs. I'd pay $600 for a 509t2.

I have an ACRO on my G20, and it's a perfect fit for that gun. On a G19 size gun, I'd way rather have a 509 or EPS.

I can get a 509t x2 for like $340 shipped. Holosun/trijicon hook up at the moment. Not aimpoint unfortunately.

Clusterfrack
11-25-2022, 01:14 PM
I can get a 509t x2 for like $340 shipped. Holosun/trijicon hook up at the moment. Not aimpoint unfortunately.

Wow, that’s an awesome price.

newyork
11-25-2022, 01:17 PM
Wow, that’s an awesome price.

Which if I were smart would make my decision for me.

Clusterfrack
11-25-2022, 01:22 PM
Which if I were smart would make my decision for me.

Maybe. If you’re direct milling for the 509, that’s a commitment you can’t easily go back on.

newyork
11-25-2022, 01:25 PM
This is true. It’d be either 509 or irons and since I’m doing irons forward, I’d be stuck at 509.

JCN
11-25-2022, 01:34 PM
I tried it just now and it’s easy to do monocular…. For about out to 7 yards.

Past that and it gets harder to do when the target is small.

As an analogy, with one eye and dot occluded it works like a big SAS sight.

WDR
11-25-2022, 01:53 PM
Maybe. If you’re direct milling for the 509, that’s a commitment you can’t easily go back on.

This is one reason I chose Glock MOS when I dipped my toes into dots on pistols. I could in theory always find an adapter plate to try a different optic. Since there is no "standard" as of yet, that's still a consideration, and why I was hoping Glock would eventually push out a 26.5 MOS. Since that isn't happening (it seems), I'm sitting here with a JagerWerks optic cut/nitride in my cart, wondering if I can commit to a dedicated RMR footprint on the 26.5 I have here. Direct milled is better for several reasons, but the Forward Controls RMR plate has worked great for me on two guns with RMR's. I like the RMR, but I do wonder when Trijicon will get off their laurels and give us a durable, enclosed emitter, USA made option with features like Holosun has been pushing.

As soon as I submit my JagerWerks order is when Glock will announce the 26.5 MOS and Trijicon will announce their new optic... so I should take one for the team and Just Do It. :cool:

Tokarev
07-08-2023, 05:23 PM
https://youtu.be/oxUMYMANY9U

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Sensei
07-08-2023, 10:56 PM
It’s not dead to me. I can find SROs for around $450 give or take, and at that price they are still one of the best “starter optics” for people making the transition from irons.

WDR
07-08-2023, 10:57 PM
https://youtu.be/oxUMYMANY9U

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

So... he's poor? That seems to be the argument he's making. I get it... Trijicon is charging a mint for the SRO and RMR sights. But I still trust them (or Aimpoint) far more than I trust anything China made, no matter the price difference.

I do wish Trijicon would step up their innovation game a little bit. What ever happened to the rumored "update" of the RMR?

HCM
07-08-2023, 11:25 PM
So... he's poor? That seems to be the argument he's making. I get it... Trijicon is charging a mint for the SRO and RMR sights. But I still trust them (or Aimpoint) far more than I trust anything China made, no matter the price difference.

I do wish Trijicon would step up their innovation game a little bit. What ever happened to the rumored "update" of the RMR?

Stoeger is many things but not poor.

He does subject stuff to hard use and sometimes buys multiples of mid range to cheap gear instead of buying premium gear. I think he recently mentioned that he’s shooting about 50,000 rounds a year. For example, when he got into rifles, instead of buying a good AR or two, he bought four aero precision rifles, and put Holosuns them.

On an unrelated note, he’s apparently killed three out of the four Aero rifles, but the Holosun optics are all still going strong.

Conversely, his primary use is range /training not life /safety. Nobody is getting killed if his optic or rifle bolt fails.

G19Fan
07-09-2023, 12:44 AM

Have see more broken rmrs than holosuns

JCN
07-09-2023, 07:10 AM
In direct comparison, the 507comp doesn’t suffer from it in situations that the SRO has a raging ball of false dot.

I am not sure I want to retrain my brain from a 5MOA dot, but if Holosun releases a cheaper single reticle 5-6 MOA version in the future, I’ll likely make the switch over.

WDR
07-09-2023, 11:09 AM
Stoeger is many things but not poor.

He does subject stuff to hard use and sometimes buys multiples of mid range to cheap gear instead of buying premium gear. I think he recently mentioned that he’s shooting about 50,000 rounds a year. For example, when he got into rifles, instead of buying a good AR or two, he bought four aero precision rifles, and put Holosuns them.

On an unrelated note, he’s apparently killed three out of the four Aero rifles, but the Holosun optics are all still going strong.

Conversely, his primary use is range /training not life /safety. Nobody is getting killed if his optic or rifle bolt fails.

I know who he is. My comment was a bit snark and tongue in cheek. It just seemed like a poor argument for tossing the SRO aside, given its other good attributes. He shoots a hell of a lot more than me, and a hell of a lot better than me, for sure, so I'm not discounting everything he's said out of hand. I just didn't see it as a convincing argument against the SRO. Him putting middle of the road gear through its paces is probably a good thing for the market. The price of an SRO is one reason I don't have one... the other being the possibility of wrecking the lens easily. I still want to try one, from time to time, but that's P2 money, and I think the P2 is probably more in line with my wants/needs.

I've had good luck with the three RMR's I own, and don't regret my purchases at all. Two of the three have higher round counts than the third, by far, so maybe I'm just lucky I have not had issues yet. I've read enough to know a lot of various problems crop up with all the different optics out there. Mounted on a pistol slide is a hard place to make an electronic device work reliably.

HCM
07-09-2023, 04:54 PM
I know who he is. My comment was a bit snark and tongue in cheek. It just seemed like a poor argument for tossing the SRO aside, given its other good attributes. He shoots a hell of a lot more than me, and a hell of a lot better than me, for sure, so I'm not discounting everything he's said out of hand. I just didn't see it as a convincing argument against the SRO. Him putting middle of the road gear through its paces is probably a good thing for the market. The price of an SRO is one reason I don't have one... the other being the possibility of wrecking the lens easily. I still want to try one, from time to time, but that's P2 money, and I think the P2 is probably more in line with my wants/needs.

I've had good luck with the three RMR's I own, and don't regret my purchases at all. Two of the three have higher round counts than the third, by far, so maybe I'm just lucky I have not had issues yet. I've read enough to know a lot of various problems crop up with all the different optics out there. Mounted on a pistol slide is a hard place to make an electronic device work reliably.

The question is does he get paid by Holosun or C&H.

You can get a brand new SRO for under $500 at EuroOptic.

The new Holosuns are just starting to become available. I may try one, but I will probably get at least one more SRO in the meantime.

I’m not a huge fan of C&H so that’s out. If I really want to try that optic the same factory in China makes them for several other brands.

G19Fan
07-09-2023, 06:21 PM
The question is does he get paid by Holosun or C&H.

You can get a brand new SRO for under $500 at EuroOptic.

The new Holosuns are just starting to become available. I may try one, but I will probably get at least one more SRO in the meantime.

I’m not a huge fan of C&H so that’s out. If I really want to try that optic the same factory in China makes them for several other brands.

The 507 comp is nice (had 9 pass throught my hands but give me a 509t or eps carry anyday)

My astigmatism makes the rings kinda run into each other

David S.
07-09-2023, 07:58 PM
I didn't get the impression he's throwing any of his SRO's away. He showed guns with them still attached. For him, the 507Comp is just as good, so why pay the premium. I think he's being his typical trolly self.

Not because of him, but I'm making the same decision.

GyroF-16
08-25-2023, 08:54 AM
Well, my SRO died in the middle of a stage during a club IDPA match last weekend.
The dot “blossomed” after a shot, and then was gone when transitioning to the next target.
No amount of button-pushing or a battery change will make it come back.
This unit has about 3,200 rounds on it on my LTT Elite B92.

Guess I’ll need to learn the Trijicon warranty claim process now. And likely go a month or so without a dot on my gun.
I have to admit- I like shooting the dot (especially with aging eyes that won’t let me see a sharp front sight), but there’s definitely an increase in fragility involved in this “improved” technology.

crosseyedshooter
08-25-2023, 09:38 AM
Well, my SRO died in the middle of a stage during a club IDPA match last weekend.
The dot “blossomed” after a shot, and then was gone when transitioning to the next target.

Guess I’ll need to learn the Trijicon warranty claim process now. And likely go a month or so without a dot on my gun.
I have to admit- I like shooting the dot (especially with aging eyes that won’t let me see a sharp front sight), but there’s definitely an increase in fragility involved in this “improved” technology.

Unfortunately, that's a common theme I see with pistol electronics at events. Whether I'm shooting SRO, RMR or EPS that day, I keep a back-up pistol or slide with zeroed dot in the range bag. The days of replacing a recoil spring or extractor to get the pistol back up and running have turned into dots going down and a call to the warranty department.

HCM
08-25-2023, 09:42 AM

What ever Trijicon’s faults, their warranty / customer service is great.

I’m pushing 10k rounds on the SRO on my main training / competition gun so far so good.

Have you had the optic or mount come loose on your LTT Beretta?

I ask because most optics failures I’ve seen have related to mounting. Even slight loosening seems to beat the crap out of the optic under recoil.

I love me some SRO but there is no free lunch. If you want or need an optic you can drive nails with there are more durable optics out there.

GyroF-16
08-25-2023, 11:29 AM
What ever Trijicon’s faults, their warranty / customer service is great.

I’m pushing 10k rounds on the SRO on my main training / competition gun so far so good.

Have you had the optic or mount come loose on your LTT Beretta?

I ask because most optics failures I’ve seen have related to mounting. Even slight loosening seems to beat the crap out of the optic under recoil.

I love me some SRO but there is no free lunch. If you want or need an optic you can drive nails with there are more durable optics out there.

At just over 1,000 rds, the RDO baseplate (installed, torqued, and witness-marked by LTT) worked loose. I replaced the screws, re-torqued and reinstalled last September.
When I went to remove the SRO from the plate after it failed, I noticed that the screws from the sight to the baseplate had moved slightly, as indicated by their witness marks. That had to have happened in the last 60 rounds or so, as they were lined up when I cleaned the gun before the match where it failed. It wasn’t “loose” yet by any stretch, but I was surprised.
I’ll be contacting Trijicon yet today, so as to get the warranty ball rolling.

GJM
08-25-2023, 01:16 PM
My sense is that most people that love the display on the SRO are comparing it to an RMR.

JCN
08-25-2023, 05:39 PM
At just over 1,000 rds, the RDO baseplate (installed, torqued, and witness-marked by LTT) worked loose. I replaced the screws, re-torqued and reinstalled last September.
When I went to remove the SRO from the plate after it failed, I noticed that the screws from the sight to the baseplate had moved slightly, as indicated by their witness marks. That had to have happened in the last 60 rounds or so, as they were lined up when I cleaned the gun before the match where it failed. It wasn’t “loose” yet by any stretch, but I was surprised.
I’ll be contacting Trijicon yet today, so as to get the warranty ball rolling.

Trijicon customer service is very good and prompt.

Loose mounting plates are what led me to start experimenting with E6000 in the first place.

I had cleaned, torqued and loctited the CZ optics system but it still worked loose.

After mating the plate to the slide with E6000, no issues in over 60k rounds (on the plate and on the optic).

After using the 507comp on some secondary guns, I’m still sticking with the 5MOA SRO.

I strongly prefer a round window visually and there’s also a little more vertical distance with the SRO over the 507comp which I like for recoil tracking.

5MOA is a nice size for almost all of the shooting sports that I do. I don’t want an 8MOA and I don’t want something smaller than 5.

Give me a 5-6 MOA in a round window that doesn’t lose dot in recoil and I’ll take that every day.

I would take either an SRO or 507comp over the shorter DPP window.

If the 507comp ever gave us the option of a simple 5-6MOA dot, I’d consider buying more.

But for now, no plans on changing from my SROs on anything I’m using for gaming. And that’s after spending time with two 507comps.

I might consider using the 507comps on rimfire rifles though.

Bucky
08-26-2023, 05:43 AM
I wonder if the size, the reciprocating slide, or both with these small dots and their longevity? My CMore has been sitting atop my open gun since 1999, and has seen a good deal of major ammo, including the 175+ power factor days.

WobblyPossum
08-26-2023, 10:27 AM
I wonder if the size, the reciprocating slide, or both with these small dots and their longevity? My CMore has been sitting atop my open gun since 1999, and has seen a good deal of major ammo, including the 175+ power factor days.

It’s the reciprocation. I can remember what the number of Gs the slide generated during reciprocation was that some industry guy quoted a while back but it was obscene.

GyroF-16
09-12-2023, 11:13 AM
An update on my situation… Trijicon emailed me on 1 Sep (11 days ago), saying:

“ We have received your product(s).

What To Expect Next:

- Your product will be inspected by one of our Trijicon Service Technicians.
- We will contact you shortly on the outcome of our diagnosis.”

I realize that the 11 days included Labor Day weekend, but there’ve been 5 full workdays since it arrived. I’m hoping they’ll tell me what’s up soon.

In the meantime, I’ve ordered and received the budget Bushnell large-window RDS that was just introduced. I’m planning to use it until the SRO comes back. Spending $180 on a spare was much more appealing than dropping $550 on another Trijicon.
And it seems like when an SRO goes down, it means 3-4 weeks minimum without it.

GyroF-16
09-24-2023, 02:13 PM
Final update- Trijicon replaced my 5 MOA SRO. It arrived on Friday, so 4 weeks from my initial contact w/ them, my replacement is in hand.
Based on the rub-marks on the underside of the unit, I’d say it was a refurbished item.

While without the SRO, I ordered the new Bushnell 4 MOA RDS, mounted and zeroed it, and have shot several practice sessions and an IDPA match with it.
So far, I like the “budget” RDS just as well as the SRO.
I’m debating the pros and cons of just leaving it on my LTT RDO until it fails or otherwise gives me a reason to swap back to the SRO.

Thoughts from the P-F bros?

Clusterfrack
09-24-2023, 02:17 PM
Final update- Trijicon replaced my 5 MOA SRO. It arrived on Friday, so 4 weeks from my initial contact w/ them, my replacement is in hand.
Based on the rub-marks on the underside of the unit, I’d say it was a refurbished item.

While without the SRO, I ordered the new Bushnell 4 MOA RDS, mounted and zeroed it, and have shot several practice sessions and an IDPA match with it.
I’m debating the pros and cons of just leaving it on my LTT RDO until it fails or otherwise gives me a reason to swap back to the SRO.

Run it until it dies? Might as well test it?

JCS
09-24-2023, 03:55 PM

I'd run it until it fails. That's what I'm doing with mine. I want to know how it compares and I can't do that until I get it to fail or go as far as my SRO (10k+)

TOTS
09-27-2023, 09:42 AM
Kill it! Bushnell has good customer service too. Might as well test both aspects out at the same time.

BWT
09-27-2023, 02:27 PM

Yeah, just beat optics to death and let us know.

Pistol mounted RDS seems to be the most difficult on these things.

ETA: My SRO had to take a trip home and has returned and works great.

At this point I would just shoot what you have zero’d and honestly have the SRO ready to rotate in if/when this breaks. Then just rotate out optics.

I have a good opinion of Trijicon - it took a very long time (I want to say 8 weeks?) to receive my optic back when I sent it in which is the only negative. Support was responsive and great but just a long lead time on getting to a technician.

Sensei
01-07-2024, 01:23 PM
Purchased an 2.5 MOA SRO on 5/9/23; SN 867##. Mounted it to a Glock 47 MOS. Dry fired probably a hounded rounds before heading to the range. Fired 100 rounds of 124 grain S&B to zero and begin vetting. Gun then got shelved for 4 months except for occasional dry fire while I focused on my DW’s.

Last week I took it out of the safe for more dry fire practice. The reticle shut off and would not come back on after just the 3rd dry fire. I loosened and then tightened down the battery cap but the reticle was still dead. I swapped out the battery and the reticle came back on for 5 or 6 dry fires before permanently dying again.

Archer1440
01-08-2024, 12:23 PM
Purchased an 2.5 MOA SRO on 5/9/23; SN 867##. Mounted it to a Glock 47 MOS. Dry fired probably a hounded rounds before heading to the range. Fired 100 rounds of 124 grain S&B to zero and begin vetting. Gun then got shelved for 4 months except for occasional dry fire while I focused on my DW’s.

Last week I took it out of the safe for more dry fire practice. The reticle shut off and would not come back on after just the 3rd dry fire. I loosened and then tightened down the battery cap but the reticle was still dead. I swapped out the battery and the reticle came back on for 5 or 6 dry fires before permanently dying again.

If it was a Duracell, make sure you have scraped off the bitterant coating- had precisely the same issues on multiple SRO’s until I figured that out. I hit the batteries with purple Scotchbrite to solve. New production Duracells supposedly have adjusted this to be compatible with Apple tracking devices which have the same problem, but I don’t trust them without the scotchbrite treatment.

Sensei
01-08-2024, 02:28 PM
If it was a Duracell, make sure you have scraped off the bitterant coating- had precisely the same issues on multiple SRO’s until I figured that out. I hit the batteries with purple Scotchbrite to solve. New production Duracells supposedly have adjusted this to be compatible with Apple tracking devices which have the same problem, but I don’t trust them without the scotchbrite treatment.

Scrubbed with woolite…still broke. Trijicon sending me a return label.

BWT
01-08-2024, 09:50 PM
Scrubbed with woolite…still broke. Trijicon sending me a return label.

I ran into an issue where the LED was adjusting strangely as well and starting adjusting brightness from high to low after locking.

I notified Trijicon and shipped it in. It took a number of weeks (on the eve of their releasing the RMR HD and RCR) and they replaced it no questions asked.

Sensei
02-09-2024, 09:36 PM
Got a series of emails from Trijicon that they are replacing my SRO. One of the emails is the UPS tracking label.

Sensei
02-13-2024, 10:20 PM
It arrived today and was promptly mounted. Interestingly, the new unit came with a plastic SBO batter removal tool. Although nowhere near the quality of the aftermarket SRO Tool, but is reasonably functional and capable of removing the cap without mucking it up.