PDA

View Full Version : Springfield Hellcat

Btp2332
10-13-2019, 09:41 PM
Anybody get there hands on the new 9mm Hellcat?

skipper49
10-13-2019, 10:27 PM
Shot mine for the first time today. Snappy in my old arthritic hand, but excellent shooter. Really liked my 124 gr HST’s.
Consistent and robust ejection. Had to drift rear sight a tad for proper windage, and that put the sight dead center on the slide. Elevation just right at the range at which I was shooting, 7 yards.
Next comes mags and Kydex.
Skip

Btp2332
10-14-2019, 09:55 AM
Awesome. I have been looking for one near me to try but no luck yet.

QUOTE=skipper49;942602]Shot mine for the first time today. Snappy in my old arthritic hand, but excellent shooter. Really liked my 124 gr HST’s.
Consistent and robust ejection. Had to drift rear sight a tad for proper windage, and that put the sight dead center on the slide. Elevation just right at the range at which I was shooting, 7 yards.
Next comes mags and Kydex.
Skip[/QUOTE]

flyrodr
10-14-2019, 02:16 PM
Handled one at range shop this morning. OK, but wasn't wowed. Trigger on this sample wasn't as nice as either the G43X or P365XL I was comparing it with, but it will likely smooth out some. I'd say if you buy it, do so because you like it, not because it holds an extra round (compared to the standard P365).

41magfan
11-14-2019, 12:17 PM
10k round test-drive .....

https://www.thearmorylife.com/hellcat-kills-10k-rounds/?utm_campaign=The%20Armory%20Life&utm_source=hs_email&utm_medium=email&utm_content=79415977&_hsenc=p2ANqtz-_bxfunVOpMzuajMnCTY9nNmo8d2dk2CWceE6MCmzgDFfgIVgSZ 7e8fj1zIG1IUO1rjYVHp_o77R_OHqZL24LFiLmTM7g&_hsmi=79415977

Btp2332
11-14-2019, 10:55 PM
I saw that thank you. I ended up buying the osp version two weeks ago. Took it out and ran 200 flawless rounds through it. 115,125,147 grain. Hardball and hollow point. I like the sights I seem to acquire them fast. Good crisp trigger. Good capacity. Great feel in the hand. Just got two extra mags for it looking to get out with it this weekend again.

0ddl0t
12-02-2019, 07:45 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RTRTnCIupYQ

Doc_Glock
12-07-2019, 07:17 PM
Held one at the LGS today. Really liked it. Trigger felt pretty heavy but actually measures 6 lbs. Take up, heavy wall and break.

Nice ergonomics, seems well built, and kind of mind blowing to see that many rounds in such a small package.

HCountyGuy
12-12-2019, 11:46 PM
Bumping this to see if anyone around here knows of any objective reviews of this gun. A friend is looking at the Hellcat and I don’t have any info on it that I feel comes from a source that did actual testing.

H&K
12-13-2019, 12:21 PM
The optic model looks really good.

Btp2332
12-13-2019, 11:47 PM
There’s a lot going on in the Hellcat Facebook page. I’m more then pleased with mine.

dsw1225hou
04-29-2020, 12:05 AM
Hello everyone, I finally got my Hellcat and after putting about 100 rounds through it I am very happy. But there is one thing I have a question about. The slide stop lever is very stiff and at times too stiff for me to use my thumb to release it. I'm thinking that over time the slide stop lever will become easier to use once the gun is broken in more. Has anyone else experienced this slide stop lever being very stiff/tight? Secondly, I have Glock 23 G4 and I changed out the slide stop lever with one that has a better lip on it for my thumb to grab. Is there a slide stop lever replacement for the Hellcat available?

Many thanks in advance.

DW

UNK
09-24-2020, 09:30 AM
Any updates on this?

HeavyDuty
09-24-2020, 10:06 AM
Interested it hearing more personal experiences with these - a friend is considering one for his first and possibly only handgun, and I don’t know enough to be able to give him an opinion. The one I handled in the store seemed fine, and the factory sights were impressive.

psalms144.1
09-24-2020, 11:08 AM
I had one briefly, the optics ready version. It ran fine through a couple hundred rounds, but the accuracy was lackluster at best, compared to a P365 and G43. I'm also personally not a huge fan of U-notch sights, so that might have contributed to the shooting results. Overall, I didn't find the build quality to be all that great, and just wasn't enamored enough with it to keep it in Covid-panic-buy times.

Brianjkeene
09-24-2020, 12:23 PM
I have almost 1,500rds through mine without a hiccup. There isn’t much special about it regarding the way it shoots though I will say that I prefer it to the P365 as I like the little bigger grip surface. What I like most tho is how it carries. For whatever reason, it seems to carry much smaller than my 43x and, with a TXC X1 holster, doesn’t want to flip out as much as the 43x. With that said, I can shoot the 43x easier. Still nothing competes with my M2.0 shield in the soft shooting category.

Irelander
02-23-2021, 11:27 AM
Hellcat Roland?

The Hellcat, the highest capacity micro 9mm in the world, is now offered in the Rapid Defense Package (RDP) configuration. Paired with a HEX micro red dot and a Self Indexing Compensator the Hellcat RDP delivers fast target acquisition and rapid, accurate follow-up shots. Also new on the Hellcat RDP is an optional ambidextrous manual safety and the Gen 2 trigger with enhanced ergonomics.

GJM
02-25-2021, 07:10 AM
That is very interesting, because having a factory Roland from Springfield may cause other manufacturers to bring out similar products, and make Roland style pistols much more common.

GJM
02-25-2021, 07:10 AM
https://www.springfield-armory.com/hellcat-series-handguns/hellcat-rdp-micro-compact-handguns/

JCN
02-25-2021, 07:35 AM
https://www.springfield-armory.com/hellcat-series-handguns/hellcat-rdp-micro-compact-handguns/

Looks like the WASP optic is auto-dimming!
At $299, it looks like it could be an RMSc replacement.

Polecat
02-25-2021, 03:12 PM
They,are also offering a manual safety as well!!

Bucky
02-26-2021, 06:02 AM
Isn’t the PF consensus that all things XD are bad?

Lost River
02-26-2021, 09:46 AM
When I was over in Glasgow MT visiting my good friend last month we went out to the range. He has a compact XD. I don't know the exact model #, but it is a newer one. After having shot older XDs and having a ho-hum opinion of them I figured this would be the same. That was not to be the case.

His little gun was actually pretty nice. Very thin, carry wise, feeling good in the hand, and it shot quite well. The thing that surprised me was the accuracy. I was shooting at 15 yards slow fire and it was chewing up the center of the target, with the sights perfectly regulated. We shot about 150 rounds through it and it was 100% reliable. I asked him if he ever had any issues with it, and he said it always runs fine. I could not find a single bad thing to say about the gun.

This new version actually looks like a reasonably well thought out package.

BobLoblaw
02-26-2021, 11:59 AM
(deleted)

TicTacticalTimmy
02-26-2021, 02:01 PM

I dunno about a consensus, but that sure is my gut feeling. I wish more manufacturers would bring out guns in this class of size/capacity. Right now my choices are a gun with a different grip angle from everything else I shoot, a gun with an (IMO) uncomfortably light trigger with a bad company history of mechanical ADs, and a gun from a company that has worked to undermine the 2nd amendment. None of these feel "good enough" to me though the Glock 48 is definitely the closest.

BillSWPA
02-26-2021, 02:17 PM

My father in law and my wife both have early XD9 pistols. Both are low round count shooters, but the next time either of these guns malfunctions will be the first. In my wife's case, I took advantage of rentals at a range where I previously held a membership, as well as a variety of manufacturer special events, to try her out on a wide variety of 9mm pistols, a few .380 pistols, a few .38 revolvers, and a couple of .45 1911's. The first time she shot her father's XD9, she easily and comfortably put 10 out of 10 shots exactly where they should have hit. I bought one for her after watching her do so.

snow white
02-26-2021, 02:56 PM
I started competing with the xdm 5.25. Gotta say if it wasn't for that package of the gun, three mags, mag pouch and holster at that price point I probably wouldn't have gotten into competitive shooting. Having the knowledge i have now I wouldn't go out and buy anything from the xd line but damned if it wasn't a good starting off point early in my shooting adventures.

HCM
02-26-2021, 06:52 PM
When I was over in Glasgow MT visiting my good friend last month we went out to the range. He has a compact XD. I don't know the exact model #, but it is a newer one. After having shot older XDs and having a ho-hum opinion of them I figured this would be the same. That was not to be the case.

His little gun was actually pretty nice. Very thin, carry wise, feeling good in the hand, and it shot quite well. The thing that surprised me was the accuracy. I was shooting at 15 yards slow fire and it was chewing up the center of the target, with the sights perfectly regulated. We shot about 150 rounds through it and it was 100% reliable. I asked him if he ever had any issues with it, and he said it always runs fine. I could not find a single bad thing to say about the gun.

This new version actually looks like a reasonably well thought out package.

The XD has always been attractive because they are fairly “shootable” guns.

The issues have been:

Durability
Reliably
The grip safety locking the slide
The lack of spare parts and armorer support / SA wanting everything sent back to the factory.

Aftermarket parts are available from Powder River etc but not OEM.

The single stack compact, the XDS finally got a grip safety that doesn’t lock the slide.

150 rounds won’t say one way or the other if the durability/ reliability issues have been addressed. Trainers who see lots of CCW holders with XDs in class still say it’s a problem.

Regardless SA still wants everything sent back to the mother ship.

HCM
02-26-2021, 06:55 PM

Yes.

The XDS models have some improvements (accuracy & Grip Safety) but the underlying issues remain.

Lost River
02-26-2021, 08:23 PM
Pardon my ignorance of the various versions, as frankly I have skipped over anything to do with them. His did not have a grip safety. Plus no grip zone (I was slightly bummed about no grip zone deal, as I was going to trash talk him ruthlessly about this, when he told me he had an XD while we were planning to go to the range) I know he has under a K through it, so who knows what will happen long term.

HCM
02-26-2021, 08:46 PM
Pardon my ignorance of the various versions, as frankly I have skipped over anything to do with them. His did not have a grip safety. Plus no grip zone (I was slightly bummed about no grip zone deal, as I was going to trash talk him ruthlessly about this, when he told me he had an XD while we were planning to go to the range) I know he has under a K through it, so who knows what will happen long term.

That might explain it.

There are only 2 SA polymer pistols which don't have grip safeties, The Hell cat, a striker fired P365 competitor which is not part of the XD line, and the XD-E which is a DA/SA single stack which SA calls an XD for marketing purposes but which is not really part of the HS2000 / XD design lineage.

https://www.springfield-armory.com/hellcat-series-handguns/hellcat-3-micro-compact-handguns/

https://www.springfield-armory.com/hellcat-series-handguns/hellcat-3-micro-compact-handguns/

HeavyDuty
02-27-2021, 08:37 AM
...and a gun from a company that has worked to undermine the 2nd amendment.

Not this shit again. Haven’t they done enough to show that was a severe error in judgement by a person no longer associated with the company?

To the post: The friend I referred to upthread still hasn’t bought a pistol, and is currently leaning to a G26. But, the addition of a manual safety RDS ready Hellcat may be enough to sway him. I do know I was rather impressed with the Hellcat I shot.

Lost River
02-27-2021, 12:57 PM
That single stack Hellcat is the one.

I could not find a single negative thing about it during our range trip. I was quite surprised at the accuracy.

TGS
02-27-2021, 01:00 PM
BehindBlueI's

Didn't your PD ban these from use by officers? Is there any update on that?

BehindBlueI's
02-27-2021, 02:46 PM
BehindBlueI's

Didn't your PD ban these from use by officers? Is there any update on that?

Yes to ban, and no to the update. Our range staff was told to not dedicate any more resources into it for the foreseeable future.

TicTacticalTimmy
02-27-2021, 10:49 PM
Not this shit again. Haven’t they done enough to show that was a severe error in judgement by a person no longer associated with the company?

To the post: The friend I referred to upthread still hasn’t bought a pistol, and is currently leaning to a G26. But, the addition of a manual safety RDS ready Hellcat may be enough to sway him. I do know I was rather impressed with the Hellcat I shot.

Could you post a link to back that up? I'm open minded. Last I checked Springfield used their lobbyists to write/support a bill that eliminated all potential future competition, i.e. all firearms manufacturers besides them and RRA, in the state of Illinois.

HeavyDuty
02-27-2021, 11:53 PM
Could you post a link to back that up? I'm open minded. Last I checked Springfield used their lobbyists to write/support a bill that eliminated all potential future competition, i.e. all firearms manufacturers besides them and RRA, in the state of Illinois.

One example: https://bearingarms.com/bobowens-bearingarms/2017/05/01/springfield-armory-rock-river-arms-oppose-gun-dealer-licensing-act-n29803

I was an Illinois resident at the time, and IIRC the witch hunt was led by one particular local nut.

Kirk
02-28-2021, 12:36 AM
Yes to ban, and no to the update. Our range staff was told to not dedicate any more resources into it for the foreseeable future.

Sorry if this has been covered, but they banned the Hellcat? Any idea why? Genuinely curious, as I was looking at getting 1 to test out and this might save me money lol

HCM
02-28-2021, 12:57 AM
Sorry if this has been covered, but they banned the Hellcat? Any idea why? Genuinely curious, as I was looking at getting 1 to test out and this might save me money lol

Prior thread covering it:

https://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?43656-Springfield-Hellcat-banned-from-my-department

Kirk
02-28-2021, 02:24 AM
Prior thread covering it:

https://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?43656-Springfield-Hellcat-banned-from-my-department

Thank you sir, much appreciated!

HeavyDuty
06-03-2023, 08:10 PM
Anything further on the Hellcat? My friend who was considering one ended up with a P365, but now another non shooting friend is asking about them. He likes that it is available with RDS and manual safety.

4RNR
06-03-2023, 10:46 PM
Have had the PRO for about a year. Has been reliable from day one with Russian and aluminum ammo.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

Polecat
06-04-2023, 10:18 AM
I have owned a reg one and the comped one. They were fine, no complaints. I have owned most of these little ones, and I think it boils down to preference, grip size front to back, “girth”, length. A common issue is pinching of the shooting grip, not just reloading. The little ones just take more diligence and practice, and too remember your limitations and expected real world use.