PDA

View Full Version : VolGrad's M&P9 Shield range report

VolGrad
04-16-2012, 04:48 PM
I picked up a S&W M&P9 Shield today and was able to go straight to the range.

For comparison I shot it side by side with my S&W M&P9c and my Ruger LC9.

First impressions of the Shield;

The size is excellent. It is very close to the LC9 with regard to height, length, weight, and width. However, most notable is the difference in the ergonomics. The LC9 grip is very thin and feels very “square”. The ergonomics leave a lot to be desired. It is acceptable but not what I would consider comfortable. The Shield is just as thin but feels much more natural in my hand. The gun seems to point better as a result and the recoil is more manageable. The gun simply feels better and the overall build seems to put it in a whole different class than the LC9.

The size difference between the Shield and the M&P9c is pretty similar overall with the major exception being the width. Simply put, if you are comfortable with the size (length & height) of the M&P9c you will still be happy with the Shield. If you find the M&P9c to be a little thicker than you like for IWB or AIWB then you will be very pleased with the Shield.

As I stated I went directly from my LGS to the range. I didn’t clean or lube the gun prior to shooting it. I quite literally removed it from the box and loaded it up with live rounds.

The sights are pretty much the same as a full sized M&P. They are fixed with large white dots and a serrated rear face and appear to be quite sturdy. Although not night sights I found them to be quite adequate. They were also zero’d well from the factory which isn’t always the case with production handguns.

The Shield has a manual thumb safety. Some will like this and some will not. Personally, I am on the fence. For a gun that could be pocket carried without a holster (which I don’t do) a thumb safety is a good feature to have. Although small the thumb safety on the Shield was easy to activate without compromising my grip on the gun and could be actually be engaged/disengaged with my thumb. This is NOT the case on my LC9. I don’t feel as though having it there is a real hindrance if one chooses not to use it. I can’t imagine an instance when I would unintentionally engage it thus preventing me from getting silence when I expect a BANG. Most importantly for me the Shield does NOT have a mag safety. This is the one that would be a deal breaker for me.

The Shield comes with two magazines. One is a 7rd with a flat baseplate. The other is 8rd “extended” which allow a little more real estate for those with larger hands. I found both allowed a good, full grip for my relatively small hands. I couldn’t tell a difference in the way I shot with either.

How did it perform?

My Shield performed as expected for a quality handgun right out of the box. I fired approx 150rds total of 124gr reloads. I had zero malfunctions. The gun had consistent, positive, and consistent ejection. It locked back on empty every time. I had no instances of auto-forward. The slide stop/release was easily “dropped” on a full magazine (which isn’t the case with my M&P9fs I purchased recently as It’s just now loosening up).

I fired all rounds from 7yrds and found the accuracy to be good to very good. I was easily grouping full magazines inside a 3inch circle. I had a few flyers, as to be expected, firing a gun for the first time and getting used to the trigger.

The trigger is a marked improvement over the factory triggers on my 3 previous M&Ps. There is a little grit in the pre-travel but I expect it will smooth out in short time with enough live rounds. The break is crisp and the reset is much better than the 3 previous M&Ps I own (before installing Apex parts anyway). I actually think the trigger is adequate as is and don’t really see the “need” for Apex parts. Personally, I’ll probably not do anything to it other than put a bunch more rounds through it.

The perceived recoil was quite surprising/pleasant. I was expecting something more like the LC9 which I find quite sharp in comparison. I actually didn’t include a blurb on the recoil in the first draft as it wasn’t even notable. This paragraph was added as an afterthought.

So is it a winner? In my humble, non-ninja shooter, opinion it is a winner. I think this gun will fill a niche that has been difficult for other manufacturers to “get right” thus far. As I stated before I have a LC9 that I have shot in excess of 500rds through. I like the gun for what it is but still didn’t feel great about carrying it in lieu of a “real” gun. When evaluating a small gun I always ask myself, “If I’m leaving the grocery store late at night and am approached by a bad guy would I feel good carrying this?” The answer to that question is a pretty good judge of whether or not you need to be carrying that weapon. I am never quite comfortable with the answer when I only have a LCP in my pocket. I felt better about the answer when I could only carry a LC9 but still never felt really “good” about it. The Shield will definitely make me feel better when I can’t (or don’t) choose to carry my normal EDC G19. I am confident I will hit what I aim at and confident I can do it quickly. I can’t say the same about other small guns. I can shoot them pretty well in controlled, slow fire but not very well at speed.

Before I post some pics I’ll state the field disassembly is the same as other M&Ps. When I returned home I field stripped it and did a really quick cleaning. I also applied some lube in prep for an additional range trip scheduled for later this week. I will report back with any additional comments I have at that time.

There were two other folks on the pistol range today. They arrived after I had taken down everything and was policing my brass. They were there doing range improvements so weren’t prepared to shoot therefore they didn’t shoot it. However, they did handle it and were impressed. One was an older lady (sort of a mother-figure at our club and an experienced shooter). She liked the feel and stated she liked it better than the two semi-auto pistols she had. Unfortunately, I didn’t ask what she currently had for comparison purposes.

Pics (these are 3inch circles fired free-style, two-handed at 7yrds);

For comparison purposes, here is my first magazine with my M&P9c. This group was shot cold.
http://i222.photobucket.com/albums/dd208/volgrad/Shield/76050b6a.jpg

Here is my first magazine with the Shield, also shot cold.
http://i222.photobucket.com/albums/dd208/volgrad/Shield/81f767e2.jpg

Lastly, here is my first magazine with the LC9, also shot cold.
http://i222.photobucket.com/albums/dd208/volgrad/Shield/597690ae.jpg

I’ll post some size comparison pics in a bit as I have time to sort them out.

VolGrad
04-16-2012, 05:09 PM
The guns included in the following size comparison pics are;
GLOCK 19
M&P9c
M&P9 Shield
Ruger LC9
Ruger LCP

Shield vs G19
http://i222.photobucket.com/albums/dd208/volgrad/Shield/40ab3e8b.jpg
http://i222.photobucket.com/albums/dd208/volgrad/Shield/4c461455.jpg

M&P9c vs M&P9 Shield
http://i222.photobucket.com/albums/dd208/volgrad/Shield/1bc51f9c.jpg

LCP vs LC9 vs Shield vs M&P9c
http://i222.photobucket.com/albums/dd208/volgrad/Shield/7f45019c.jpg

LC9 vs Shield
http://i222.photobucket.com/albums/dd208/volgrad/Shield/acb55c18.jpg
http://i222.photobucket.com/albums/dd208/volgrad/Shield/ad44eb37.jpg

VolGrad
04-16-2012, 05:10 PM
LCP vs Shield
http://i222.photobucket.com/albums/dd208/volgrad/Shield/6d5a9ee5.jpg

Shield vs M&P9c
http://i222.photobucket.com/albums/dd208/volgrad/Shield/cca1d52c.jpg
http://i222.photobucket.com/albums/dd208/volgrad/Shield/d757989e.jpg

Clockwise; M&P9c vs Shield vs LC9 vs LCP
http://i222.photobucket.com/albums/dd208/volgrad/Shield/f9739f0b.jpg

LC9 vs Shield
http://i222.photobucket.com/albums/dd208/volgrad/Shield/6e68766d.jpg

JHC
04-16-2012, 06:06 PM
Great report and pics. Dang that's a skinny gun!

orionz06
04-16-2012, 06:08 PM
I think I want one.

VolGrad
04-16-2012, 07:27 PM
Another random afterthought to my range report. The Shield ships in a cardboard box (like the Rugers) rather than a S&W hard case. I find that to be an EXCELLENT trade-off for the "extra" magazine.

jlw
04-16-2012, 07:34 PM
I checked out Vol's pistol this afternoon. Of the pistol in this category, the Shield is the one that I would choose. It is the only one that even feels right to me.

Savage Hands
04-16-2012, 09:22 PM
I'm going to attempt to pocket carry one lol

seabiscuit
04-16-2012, 09:39 PM
VolGrad, do you think there will be issues switching between your 19 and the Shield?

VolGrad
04-17-2012, 06:29 AM
VolGrad, do you think there will be issues switching between your 19 and the Shield?

Valid question but let me spin this a bit.

I don't think there will be any more issues than switching between my 19 and an LC9 or LCP.

I'm sure if I really got down to it (with quantitative measures) the difference in accuracy and speed between my performance with each gun (19 vs Shield) would be evident. However, that's to be expected with a gun you've shot thousands and thousands of rounds and carried daily for years vs one you've just acquired. I don't see myself fumbling controls or anything like that on the Shield. It's a natural feeling pistol and not all that much different than the larger M&Ps (which I'm getting used to as well).

I have been shooting a G17 for IDPA for about a year and a half in SSP. I recently started shooting a M&P9fs in ESP. Switching between the two guns hasn't been an issue. I find I shoot them both equally well/poor.

VolGrad
04-17-2012, 06:55 AM
I also forgot to address the mag release button. The button is easy to access but doesn't protrude to the point it's "in the way". The magazines eject well when full or empty. It actually "throws" them out with a good bit of force.

I have a AIWB holster on order from Dark Star Gear. They are supposed to be cranking them out in short order as they just acquired a "real" gun of their own to mold the holsters from. Hoping to get it within a few weeks.

JHC
04-17-2012, 08:19 AM
Valid question but let me spin this a bit.

I don't think there will be any more issues than switching between my 19 and an LC9 or LCP.

I'm sure if I really got down to it (with quantitative measures) the difference in accuracy and speed between my performance with each gun (19 vs Shield) would be evident. However, that's to be expected with a gun you've shot thousands and thousands of rounds and carried daily for years vs one you've just acquired. I don't see myself fumbling controls or anything like that on the Shield. It's a natural feeling pistol and not all that much different than the larger M&Ps (which I'm getting used to as well).

I have been shooting a G17 for IDPA for about a year and a half in SSP. I recently started shooting a M&P9fs in ESP. Switching between the two guns hasn't been an issue. I find I shoot them both equally well/poor.

This makes complete sense to me. The 19 and Shield operate similiarly enough IMO that the differences in performance will have more to do with overall dimensions and capacity (ie extended drills or courses of fire require more reloads with the lower capacity gun obviously) than the differences in ergo's etc. When I was putting 2400 rds through an M&P Pro I went back and forth with Glocks also and never saw a hitch. Sadly this was before I discovered the FAST and I never shot it with the Pro 9. I wish I had as it was a very easy gun to shoot "fancy" at close range speed drills. And it was about the fastests reloading pistol from slide lock I've ever used.

Rappahannock
04-17-2012, 01:59 PM
I certainly would like to see a comparative study of this pistol and the Walther PPS.

Savage Hands
04-17-2012, 01:59 PM
Will you attempt to pocket carry it?

VolGrad
04-17-2012, 02:03 PM
I certainly would like to see a comparative study of this pistol and the Walther PPS.
Well buy me a PPS and I'll compare them. :p

I prob won't. I found the LC9 to be a little too long and tall to really fit my pockets well. Like Caleb, most of my clothes come from the boys dept. I know some folks will though and it won't be a big deal for them.

I'll try it around the house tonight (unloaded and loose in my pocket since I don't have a pocket holster for it) just to see how it feels though and report back.

Savage Hands
04-17-2012, 02:04 PM
Ok thanks!

VolGrad
04-17-2012, 06:30 PM

Alright, so when I got home from work today I pulled the Shield out of the safe, checked clear, inserted the (empty) flat base mag, flipped the thumb safety on and put it my strong side, front pocket. I just wanted to check fit and to see if there was any chance the thumb safety would unintentionally disengage.

I don't have a pocket holster the Shield will fit in so it just went in my pocket loose, thus not a really good test.

I was wearing a pair of cargo pants, not tactical pants, just regular (sort of decent looking) casual cargos I wear to work with a tucked polo shirt. The pockets are on the large side compared to jeans, dress pants, etc. They are on par with regard to size compared to cargo shorts I wear in warm months.

The Shield fit in my pocket just fine. It is a bit tall and long compared to the LCP I'm used to carrying in my pocket but it is really thin so it wasn't at all uncomfortable.

I rode out to meet forum member TheLaw for a few minutes so I got a chance to "conceal" it, wear it while sitting, driving, walking around, etc. I will say this ... I felt less concerned about how it was printing than I was concerned with how the G19 carried AIWB in a VanGuard2 was printing under an untucked polo.

What I'm getting at is the Shield is probably doable as a pocket gun so long as I'm wearing pants with larger pockets. I might contact a local guy that makes custom leather and see if he can make something for it for occasional pocket carry.

Savage Hands
04-17-2012, 11:06 PM
As soon as it is CA legal this summer, I'll pick one up :) Thanks for all the info.

farscott
04-18-2012, 05:16 AM
Great report and comparisons. Thanks for doing this. I am still on the fence about the M&P9 Shield even though I would have bought one five years ago without hesitation.

The problem is, since that time, I have come full circle and care about capacity. Two of the reasons I have settled (and settle, I did) on the Glock platform are lots of rounds on tap AND magazine interchangeability. I can stuff a G17 magazine into a G19 with no issues. I like having 16 rounds of 9x19 before I must reload. Not sure how I feel limited to just nine. Funny, for someone who carried P7M8s and 1911s for many years. Still, it bothers me.

For me, this gets back to the "how many rounds is enough?" thread. If I was always at home in rural Alabama, the Shield would have a place, especially on hot, humid summer days for a quick trip to town. But I spend way too much time in a metro area where shootings are reported weekly if not daily, where bank robberies are rising, where gang activity is increasing, and where carjacking is sometimes happening. For that, the G17 or G19 with spare magazine is what I want to have.

I may get a Shield just for use in Alabama as I can appreciate the smaller size, and the price is right. The ergonomics are nice, and my daughter is looking for a better carry gun. It looks like these are running out of the box, which seems to be an improvement over current Glock production.

VolGrad
04-18-2012, 06:45 AM
The problem is, since that time, I have come full circle and care about capacity. Two of the reasons I have settled (and settle, I did) on the Glock platform are lots of rounds on tap AND magazine interchangeability. I can stuff a G17 magazine into a G19 with no issues. I like having 16 rounds of 9x19 before I must reload. Not sure how I feel limited to just nine. Funny, for someone who carried P7M8s and 1911s for many years. Still, it bothers me.

For me, this gets back to the "how many rounds is enough?" thread. If I was always at home in rural Alabama, the Shield would have a place, especially on hot, humid summer days for a quick trip to town. But I spend way too much time in a metro area where shootings are reported weekly if not daily, where bank robberies are rising, where gang activity is increasing, and where carjacking is sometimes happening. For that, the G17 or G19 with spare magazine is what I want to have.

I care about those things too. Again, I would like to re-iterate I personally don't see the Shield as a primary gun. It's a compromise gun for when I can't get away with my "real" primary gun.

I hope I haven't left the impression I am replacing my EDC G19 with the Shield. I love the Shield thus far but am not dissing my GLOCKs.

Little Creek
04-18-2012, 07:54 AM
Is the mag release reverseable?

VolGrad
04-18-2012, 08:20 AM
Is the mag release reverseable?

Lit doesn't say and I haven't tried. Will check it out more tonight.

Shellback
04-18-2012, 09:35 AM
Thanks for the write up and report. This, or possibly the Walther, sounds like a great option for my wife with the thinner frame.

ETA - How much did it run you? Just curious to see what prices are like on it.

JM Campbell
04-18-2012, 09:56 AM
$432.99 with tax out the door in SA, TX

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2

Shellback
04-18-2012, 11:22 AM
This looks like a very good option for people who wear tailored suits. I'll be picking one up in the very near future.

mrozowjj
04-18-2012, 12:31 PM
Well buy me a PPS and I'll compare them. :p

If you lived closer to MD I'd let you borrow mine.

Little Creek
04-18-2012, 04:07 PM
Lit doesn't say and I haven't tried. Will check it out more tonight.

Thanks. I am LH and have reversed all the magazine releases on my M&P and Glock Gen 4 pistols. I use to use my trigger finger when I shot 1911 pistols all the time. Now I kind of like to use my thumb.

orionz06
04-18-2012, 04:11 PM
Not reversible.

VolGrad
04-18-2012, 06:06 PM
Not reversible.

I didn't think so but wanted to confirm before I posted. Thanks for checking.

Little Creek
04-19-2012, 04:17 AM
I didn't think so but wanted to confirm before I posted. Thanks for checking.

I guess I will make do with my S&W9c or my G26.

Thanks very much for checking.

VolGrad
04-19-2012, 07:27 AM
From another thread ...

I handled a "sold" gun today. Notice I did not say "shot"? My trigger finger placement did not reliably deactivate the trigger safety. The gun appeared to sit very low in my hand and compared to a M&P9 the trigger safety hinge point was lower as well. Because of this, and elfin finger geometry the gun did not reliably go click. I had to consciously adjust my finger placement to get it to deactivate the safety. Never had a problem with any other M&P or Glocks. I honestly handled it just to see what all the fuss was about. From what I hear, it will be a great gun for somebody else. Flame suit on....

No flames here. I experienced a variation of what you described but didn't know how to articulate it enough to mention.

I am easily able to deactivate the trigger safety every time BUT I can "feel" it. It creates a small break/click. My finger naturally sits right where the hinge is. If I move my finger slightly downward I don't get the "feel" when it deactivates. However, this placement isn't natural so I'm learning to move on through the "feel".

Savage Hands
04-19-2012, 10:07 AM
From another thread ...

No flames here. I experienced a variation of what you described but didn't know how to articulate it enough to mention.

I am easily able to deactivate the trigger safety every time BUT I can "feel" it. It creates a small break/click. My finger naturally sits right where the hinge is. If I move my finger slightly downward I don't get the "feel" when it deactivates. However, this placement isn't natural so I'm learning to move on through the "feel".

Yeah, after having the AEK aluminum trigger installed on my M&P's, I despise the spongy hinged trigger.

Frank R
04-19-2012, 10:36 AM
Will night sights for a MP9c fit on a Shield?

JM Campbell
04-19-2012, 10:57 AM
Yes with some over hang. Dovetails fit. Width is smaller on shield, filing to fit is required until manufactured for the shield.

Chefdog
04-19-2012, 11:18 AM
Yeah, after having the AEK aluminum trigger installed on my M&P's, I despise the spongy hinged trigger.

I'd be interested to hear your thoughts on this, if you're so inclined. The trigger itself is very intriguing to me, but seems to get passed over in most discussions of the DCAEK system. A pm is great to avoid drift, if you've got a second.

VolGrad
04-19-2012, 11:28 AM
I'd be interested to hear your thoughts on this, if you're so inclined. The trigger itself is very intriguing to me, but seems to get passed over in most discussions of the DCAEK system. A pm is great to avoid drift, if you've got a second.

Holy Cow!!!

https://www.apextactical.com/store/product-info.php?pid60.html

I was interested as well but at $75 I might just live with this one. It isn't a that big of an issue for me to overcome.

Chefdog
04-19-2012, 11:43 AM
Holy Cow!!!

I was interested as well but at $75 I might just live with this one. It isn't a that big of an issue for me to overcome.

Somewhere on their page it mentions a polymer version in the works. Hopefully it'll be cheap enough to give it a try. I'm used to the regular M&P FS trigger, but I wouldn't mind if the trigger felt less "sproingy."

Frank R
04-19-2012, 12:16 PM
Yes with some over hang. Dovetails fit. Width is smaller on shield, filing to fit is required until manufactured for the shield.

OK. Thanks.

W-M

Steve S.
04-19-2012, 05:55 PM
Holy Cow!!!

I wonder how much it would cost to buy all the " necessary upgrades " from Apex. Then figure the price of the pistol, and I bet you are in TRP price range.

orionz06
04-19-2012, 05:59 PM
Necessary?

Savage Hands
04-19-2012, 06:04 PM

Since it's slightly relevant to this topic, the AEK combined with the DCAEK and RAM shortens the overall pre and over-travel but not as much as the FSS. I'm looking into the MA TRS or the soon to be released heavier TRS from Apex to bump the pull to ~6 pounds over the ~5ish it is now.

I'm not going to lie, the pre-travel with this may be short for some people.

Holy Cow!!!

The polymer version will be much cheaper :)

I wonder how much it would cost to buy all the " necessary upgrades " from Apex. Then figure the price of the pistol, and I bet you are in TRP price range.

And I'd still rather carry this over a TRP or even my old Ionbonded Les Baer worked over by John Harrison...

http://i941.photobucket.com/albums/ad251/SShenaniguns/c9e66050.jpg

9c will hopefully be finished tonight before my trip.

Steve S.
04-19-2012, 06:24 PM
Necessary?

Haha. Hence the quotation marks, dude. Even added a space to highlight the quotation marks. :-)

Couldn't agree more. Just a way of looking at the "inexpensive" aspect of polymer guns.

Since it's slightly relevant to this topic, the AEK combined with the DCAEK and RAM shortens the overall pre and over-travel but not as much as the FSS. I'm looking into the MA TRS or the soon to be released heavier TRS from Apex to bump the pull to ~6 pounds over the ~5ish it is now.

I'm not going to lie, the pre-travel with this may be short for some people.

The polymer version will be much cheaper :)

And I'd still rather carry this over a TRP or even my old Ionbonded Les Baer worked over by John Harrison...

http://i941.photobucket.com/albums/ad251/SShenaniguns/c9e66050.jpg

9c will hopefully be finished tonight before my trip.

orionz06
04-19-2012, 06:25 PM
Haha. Hence the quotation marks, dude.

Ahh, I thought they were adding emphasis to the word necessary as some believe the M&P needs parts to shoot.

VolGrad
04-19-2012, 07:19 PM
Second range session today. Round count .... didn't really count. I shot some, a buddy shot some ....

Ran at 100% again. I also fired 4 mags of 115gr Speer Gold Dots. The round felt great in the gun. I previously purchased these for the LC9 but figured I'd try them in the Shield since I had them. Next session I'll shoot some 124gr+P Gold Dots to see if they are still manageable.

Chefdog
04-19-2012, 08:54 PM

Any idea if the trigger by itself would be a worthwhile addition? Or would it only benefit a gun with the full DCAEK? I don't have too much issue with the trigger on my gun, other than the slightly "spongy" feel of the hinged trigger.

Steve S.
04-19-2012, 11:06 PM
Ahh, I thought they were adding emphasis to the word necessary as some believe the M&P needs parts to shoot.

I've actually come to like the OEM trigger in the more recent samples I've handled. My most recent - the 45c - seems pretty good. I don't even think I'll add the RAM, after adjusting my shooting style.

I'm on the opposite end of the spectrum. I think all things considered, the M&P has a pretty damn good trigger out of the box. Some may be gritty, and they have poor tactile reset - but the latter may not matter to some and the former will fix itself after many rounds.

The DCAEK / CAEK are both very good upgrades though. Not knocking them at all. It's just more akin to using a "-" connector in a Glock to me, and not a "must have done" upgrade.

farscott
04-20-2012, 05:40 AM
Now, that is an interesting comparison. 7/8-rounds in a 1911-format pistol or 8/9-rounds in the "Shield". Unless I was trying pocket carry, I would probably stick with the 1911 -- and do, since that is my carry gun when limited capacity is not an issue. I have almost 20 years of experience in shooting and carrying one, the guns that John has built for me run, and I could avoid adopting another platform. Getting enough training time on both the 1911 and Glock is hard enough for me and my limited training schedule. Less weight and the commodity aspect would be advantages for the M&P. One can get a new M&P a lot faster than having John build a replacement pistol. On the other hand, I have a fistful of 1911s that John has built for me.

Savage Hands
04-20-2012, 07:42 AM
Now, that is an interesting comparison. 7/8-rounds in a 1911-format pistol or 8/9-rounds in the "Shield". Unless I was trying pocket carry, I would probably stick with the 1911 -- and do, since that is my carry gun when limited capacity is not an issue. I have almost 20 years of experience in shooting and carrying one, the guns that John has built for me run, and I could avoid adopting another platform. Getting enough training time on both the 1911 and Glock is hard enough for me and my limited training schedule. Less weight and the commodity aspect would be advantages for the M&P. One can get a new M&P a lot faster than having John build a replacement pistol. On the other hand, I have a fistful of 1911s that John has built for me.

If you look at the link, I was referring to my Full Size M&P pictured... No need to get worked up, it's preference and I rather carry my M&P's.

VolGrad
06-22-2012, 02:21 PM
Update on this thread.

I've carried my Shield a good bit in a AIWB from Dark Star Gear (and some in a IWB from Personal Security Systems) since I've had it. I even shot it in a IDPA match last month. The match was setup to be revolver friendly so bottom feeders were limited to 6 rds in the gun at any time. Figured that was as good a time as any to test the gun "for real". I shot it from AIWB using the Dark Star Gear holster (underneath a very nice Low Speed, High Drag polo).

The gun has performed flawlessly to date. Round count? I can't say for sure but it's prob in the 700-800 range (including both FMJ and JHP) and that's a very conservative figure.

I have to say even shooting this gun in an IDPA match I never felt as if I was shooting a micro gun. It really does shoot like its big brothers.

I have installed the Apex hard sear but nothing else. This improved the trigger a bit (although it was quite good to begin with). I had planned to install the USB when Ameriglo gets around to producing Night Sights. Unforunately, I recently learned they are only planning to make all black sights and the I-dots. I don't want either of those so I decided to stick with the factory 3 dots for now. I tried to bang the rear sight out at home to install the USB with no success. I took it to my local LGS which is a M&P cop shop. They put it in the vice and banged away with no success. Looks like I'll be sticking with just the hard sear. I'm kind of disappointed about that as I really wanted the USB in it.

mnealtx
06-22-2012, 03:25 PM

I bet you're not. The DCAEK is $90, roughly 20% of the price.

A stainless TRP is over TWICE the price of a stainless mil-spec.

VolGrad
06-22-2012, 04:07 PM
Will the MGW sight installation tool for the M&P work for the shield?

They tried one of their M&P sight tools but not sure which brand. The slide on the Shield is too narrow. It wouldn't work.

JHC
06-22-2012, 06:02 PM
They tried one of their M&P sight tools but not sure which brand. The slide on the Shield is too narrow. It wouldn't work.

So, if you were leaving on vacation . . . does the shield go along? Vacation gun choices always absorb too much of my attention. Two is one, one is none, long gun options, etc. Silly. ;)

VolGrad
06-22-2012, 08:59 PM
So, if you were leaving on vacation . . . does the shield go along? Vacation gun choices always absorb too much of my attention. Two is one, one is none, long gun options, etc. Silly. ;)

I guess it all depends where you are vacationing, what the accommodations are, etc. Unfortunately, some of us vacate in states that don't reciprocate our carry licenses AND don't even like loaded guns in your vehicle. So if you can't carry legally you are left with leaving it in a hotel room (no-no) or a vehicle in a parking deck (no-no). SUCKS.

Pasanova
07-01-2012, 09:26 PM
Has anyone heard about S&W making a version of the Shield that does not have a thumb safety?

VolGrad
10-16-2012, 03:43 PM
I sent my Shield off to Chris @ Damato's Custom Stippling to have the frame stippled. The turn around was less than 2 weeks door to door and that was with both Chris & in travel status during that time. It looks & feels fantastic. I think this is a great upgrade. He intentionally didn't go too overly aggressive with the pattern considering I normally carry this gun IWB against bare skin.

Once Ameriglo finally releases their Night Sights for this model I will get them installed along with the Apex Ultimate Striker Block and this gun will be a finished project.

http://i222.photobucket.com/albums/dd208/volgrad/8BE8D312-07DC-4FD4-9147-7E747D2618BC-1989-00000174AB2506EA_zps510d7870.jpg
http://i222.photobucket.com/albums/dd208/volgrad/A0370C8C-3A14-4313-9227-7699BB55B7E4-1989-00000174C3F3C3BA_zps5395c329.jpg
http://i222.photobucket.com/albums/dd208/volgrad/F98599E0-BDCA-4F53-8FDB-F58463DAAB69-1989-00000174D10B898F_zpse2e51d6e.jpg

https://www.facebook.com/DamatoCustomStippling

Forgot to add the price on the stippling ....

$60 including return shipping. It cost me $25 to ship from my FFL to his, including transfer fee. Total cost to me was $75 and worth every penny.

TCinVA
10-16-2012, 04:53 PM
Picked up the test Shield today.

mnealtx
10-23-2012, 08:21 AM
What's the green thingy?

JMS
10-23-2012, 11:55 AM
Looks like a "This is MY mag, like hell it's yours..." marking, or similar.

VolGrad
10-23-2012, 12:22 PM
Looks like a "This is MY mag, like hell it's yours..." marking, or similar.

Correct. It's green paint pen. I ran the Shield at a monthly IDPA match a couple of months ago and borrowed some mags from a buddy.

Update;
The new stippling is too aggressive to wear against bare skin for long periods of time. Chris went easy on it but it's still very abrasive. It feels amazing and for OWB carry it's G2G. I'm going to let it wear down some during the cooler months when OWB is easier. Once warm weather returns I might strop it with a piece of leather on the side that goes against my skin to knock off some rough edges.

TheLaw
10-25-2012, 12:05 PM
Correct. It's green paint pen. I ran the Shield at a monthly IDPA match a couple of months ago and borrowed some mags from a buddy.

Update;
The new stippling is too aggressive to wear against bare skin for long periods of time. Chris went easy on it but it's still very abrasive. It feels amazing and for OWB carry it's G2G. I'm going to let it wear down some during the cooler months when OWB is easier. Once warm weather returns I might strop it with a piece of leather on the side that goes against my skin to knock off some rough edges.

Don't like undershirts?

jlw
10-25-2012, 12:35 PM
Don't like undershirts?

You know he is from East Tennessee. A wife beater is outerwear...

VolGrad
10-25-2012, 12:37 PM
Don't like undershirts?I wear undershirts under polo shirts and button downs. I don't wear undershirts under t-shirts.

For all interested parties .....

I just checked the Ameriglo website and they are now shipping night sights for the Shield. They have classic 3 dots for $110 and the fairly new iDot style for $100, both prices are plus $9 shipping and applicable sales tax (GA residents).

Order placed.

G60
10-25-2012, 02:54 PM
Using coupon code GSSF gets you 10% off your order from Ameriglo as well.

jon volk
10-25-2012, 03:18 PM

Update;

Some light scuffs with 120 grit sandpaper will knock down the sharp edges that cause discomfort without sacrificing grip. It doesn't take much to keep it tolerable against the skin.

TheLaw
10-26-2012, 07:58 AM
I wear undershirts under polo shirts and button downs. I don't wear undershirts under t-shirts.

You should check into wearing some of those tight fitting undershirts, even under your t-shirts. It may help you with that problem you have, and the stippling being too aggressive as well. :cool:

Al T.
10-26-2012, 03:54 PM
You know he is from East Tennessee. A wife beater is outerwear...

Ahem. I'll have to defend my fellow High School Alumni (best six years of my life). For you unfortunate flatlanders knowledge, wife beaters are only outwear with overalls and brogans. When dressing for church, NASCAR T-shirts and the odd dress shirt with the sleeves tastefully removed denote suitable wear...

And, back on topic, I continue to be very pleased with my Shield. Ran it yesterday out to 40 yards on 8 inch steel plates. I averaged 5/6 at this distance. I do not care for the rear sight, so will eventually change that out.

YammyMonkey
11-07-2012, 11:57 PM
VolGrad, and anyone else interested in swapping sights on the Shield...

I picked mine up about 3 weeks ago & ended up having to use a full size hammer & steel punch to get the sights off the slide. I was drifting them the correct way, the set screw was removed from the rear, and the slide was very secure in a bench vise. I also tore the hell out of a brass punch and hammered my thumb a few times trying to get them off. And that was after I stripped out 3 allen wrenches and ended up taking a drill & extractor to the rear sight set screw to get it out.

I've only had to use the brass punch & hammer on the other M&Ps that I've swapped sights on, but for some reason S&W really went to town on making sure the stock set on this gun was secure.

I tried running the Warrens that I pulled off my wife's M&PJG, but the POI was about 3" low at 5 yds so those are a no-go. Picked up a set of Ameriglo iDots but haven't had a chance to hit the range with them yet.