PDA

View Full Version : 43X vs 48

GJM
10-03-2019, 09:34 PM
I want to put a red dot, probably a RMSc, on a slim line Glock.

I have had multiple people I respect, tell me they greatly prefer the 43X, and an equal number tell me they shoot the 48 better. I have, at various times, believed I shot both the 48 and 43X better. Anyone have data to help resolve this?

StraitR
10-03-2019, 09:44 PM
I think preference between the two is somewhat subjective, so it's hard to say one way or the other if considering shootability only. Something that is not subjective, however, is that they use the same RSA but the 48 has a slightly heavier slide. If I were looking to add the weight of a MRDS to the slide, I'd likely start with the lighter slide to err on the side of caution.

cornstalker
10-03-2019, 10:04 PM
Would an RMSc weigh any more than the metal removed with the optic cut?

jandbj
10-03-2019, 11:01 PM
Would an RMSc weigh any more than the metal removed with the optic cut?
I think you missed StraitR’s point. Same RSA for both guns, 48 slide weighs more than 43x slide... adding whatever weight to the 43x slide would likely still be less than the 48 slide weighs stock. The amount of metal removed for milling is inconsequential either way. (No snark implied or intended. Don’t get the wrong idea.)

To GJM’s original question... methinks you sir, likely shoot either better than most of us. We just want to know how many rounds it takes you to destroy the chosen optic. :cool:

cornstalker
10-03-2019, 11:28 PM
I think you missed StraitR’s point. Same RSA for both guns, 48 slide weighs more than 43x slide... adding whatever weight to the 43x slide would likely still be less than the 48 slide weighs stock. The amount of metal removed for milling is inconsequential either way. (No snark implied or intended. Don’t get the wrong idea.)

No offense was taken.

I didn't miss StraitR's point. He brings up a valid consideration. I think that perhaps you may have mistaken my question for a counterpoint. If the optic weighs more than the steel cut from the slide, then it is a valid consideration. If the optic weighs the same or less than the steel removed then it just doesn't matter because you are not adding weight.

In all honesty, I have no clue how much the steel weighs compared to the optic, and that is why I asked.

BigT
10-04-2019, 12:18 AM
Every time I've shot them back to back no matter the drill the 48 has been better ,margins vary , but I always personally shoot a 48 better than a 43X. More subjectively I find it easier to shoot and that it requires less work to get those results. This was with iron sights but nothing in my experience leads me to belive this will be any different with a dot.

I also find the 48 to be more comfortable and stable carried AIWB.

Mike C
10-04-2019, 04:38 AM
This is something I worked to answer for myself and I honestly flipped back and forth between the G48/48X a lot. I spent several range sessions over the course of a few weeks and found that performance varied between the two based on what type of drills and shooting were being performed. For example when I shoot, “The Test.” With the G43X I have more X’s and shots are tighter. On things like Bills to a B-8 at 7 as fast as I can keep them in the black 43X hands down. Same when coming out of the holster for things like Gabe’s standards. Sight acquisition is a hair faster as are follow up shots with the 43X rounds are tight in the head box by comparison especially on transition. There is a big difference in cycle speed on the G43X vs the 48 that seems to aid in keeping on the sights. To quote JHC the G48 when running as fast and hard as you can seems like, “chaos in the sights.” Not so with the 43X.

To quantify actual times I will need to look at my notes but IIRC times are very very close between the two but with the G43X being a few split seconds faster and providing more Alpha’s and X’s shooting at speed 7-10 and in. I need to collect more data and compare accuracy and speed at 10 yards plus as well as I’m sure things will look a little different for me over the course of a few months. I will now have lots of time for this as I’ve literally sold off/am selling off everything and will be solely focusing on the G43X. Now, if I am purely shooting at 25 plus I prefer the extra sight radius on the G48 but gauging from JHC’s shooting at 25 and 40 yards with his 43X I think it is more a matter of skill that any limitation of the gun. So in typical PF fashion it depends. :p

Here is an example of what I am talking about. Left target is 43X right G48, drill was “The Test” at 10 yards both shot from concealment same sights. G43X time 9.19 clean G48 10.02. Not a huge difference in time but the accuracy at speed I am able to wring out on demand with the G43X speaks volumes, down 3 points vs 5 plus the bulk of my rounds are within about 2”. I clearly have to work harder to keep the G48 down and keep the sights in the black. These groups and times are representative of what I can do on demand 10y and in between the two guns.

Lastly GJM if I was going to red dot a slim line gun it would definitely be the G43X. Partially in part to slide weight concerns and recoil spring weights, secondly due to cycle speed. Though both guns could benefit from a red dot I think based on my short experience that the G43X will preform better and be able to be run harder than the 48.

Tensaw
10-04-2019, 05:48 AM
Well. Shiite...

Based on GJM's prior postings I had decided to go the 43X route even though the 48 seems more "balanced" at least from a visual perspective - which doesn't actually matter. (Also, I totally dig my 19X so hopefully that translates over to the 43X.) Now he (GJM) comes along and says it's a wash sorta and he is undecided about which is 'better". C'mon man! You got people trying to spend money based on what you are posting! Okay, I'm (mostly) joking around here.

My real comment is that I wonder if the 48 might actually somewhat delay the optic taking a dump since the slide velocity is reduced to whatever degree as compared to the 43X. Further, I'm going to posit that perhaps it is the reduced slide *mass* with the 43X, which leads to reduced muzzle flip / chaos in the sights.

ssb
10-04-2019, 06:34 AM
A benefit to the 43X is the availability of a Brownell's RMS-cut slide, which seems to cost the same as a milling job from anybody reputable.

I want to RDS a 43X as well. I'm just wondering if I can live with the less durable RMS-C vs. something like a Type 2 RMR. There are two options for the 43X for an RMR, L&M Precision and Suarez. Both install an adapter to widen the slide in order to accept the RMR screws. The RMR would be, in my view, the more durable and vetted option; the RMS would be much lower profile.

Decisions, decisions...

GJM
10-04-2019, 06:56 AM
A benefit to the 43X is the availability of a Brownell's RMS-cut slide, which seems to cost the same as a milling job from anybody reputable.

I want to RDS a 43X as well. I'm just wondering if I can live with the less durable RMS-C vs. something like a Type 2 RMR. There are two options for the 43X for an RMR, L&M Precision and Suarez. Both install an adapter to widen the slide in order to accept the RMR screws. The RMR would be, in my view, the more durable and vetted option; the RMS would be much lower profile.

Decisions, decisions...

YVK got a pre cut 43 slide from Brownell’s and returned it because it wasn’t reliable. I am very leery about non OEM Glock slides.

Thoughts about having a 43 vs 43X slide cut — as my 43 is just sitting around since getting the X?

JHC
10-04-2019, 07:10 AM
YVK got a pre cut 43 slide from Brownell’s and returned it because it wasn’t reliable. I am very leery about non OEM Glock slides.

Thoughts about having a 43 vs 43X slide cut — as my 43 is just sitting around since getting the X?

Oh yeah. How about you strap it to the host 43X frame and run it a bit so there's no surprises after it's cut. ;) My 43 has the best trigger out of the 3 of it and two 43Xs. I think most of that is coming out of the "upper" (connector, trigger bar etc). I'm going to try that out. Why that didn't occur to me before IDK.

Grey
10-04-2019, 07:17 AM
Why bother cutting a 43 when it's obvious you like the 43x better? With you its only a matter of time before you cut the 43x and 48 so just start with the 43x.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

GJM
10-04-2019, 07:25 AM
Why bother cutting a 43 when it's obvious you like the 43x better? With you its only a matter of time before you cut the 43x and 48 so just start with the 43x.

What I mostly like about the 43X is the PVD finish, and that will go away when the slide is milled and refinished. The forward serrations and possibility of more accuracy are small pluses on the X, but I am not sure if it worth the cost of a new gun nice.

Grey
10-04-2019, 07:34 AM
What I mostly like about the 43X is the PVD finish, and that will go away when the slide is milled and refinished. The forward serrations and possibility of more accuracy are small pluses on the X, but I am not sure if it worth the cost of a new gun nice.Fair point, I do wish I had the 19x pvd finish on all my glocks.

Cut the 43 and slap it on the 43x frame (they are compatible arent they?). Though with a red dot arent you going to use that to rack the gun anyway? I dont do much with the slide in front of my SRO now, its all rear serrations or the optic itself.

EDIT: L&M Precision only ceracotes the milled surface so you might get the best of both worlds and keep the pvd.

GJM
10-04-2019, 07:40 AM
Fair point, I do wish I had the 19x pvd finish on all my glocks.

Cut the 43 and slap it on the 43x frame (they are compatible arent they?). Though with a red dot arent you going to use that to rack the gun anyway? I dont do much with the slide in front of my SRO now, its all rear serrations or the optic itself.

With a pistol as small as a 43/X, I am very cautious about racking the slide from in front of the optic because of how easy it is to get in front of the muzzle. Using the optic is nice, but I am cautious if the optic has controls on the side like the Acro, SRO or Romeo 3 Max, as I have changed dot intensity accidentally. Sling-shoting the slide at the base of the optic works for me with a variety of pistols and optics.

Mike C
10-04-2019, 08:43 AM
The PVD finish is absolutely great in terms of wear but I will agree with many in the other thread about heat buildup slides get freaking hot, don't think this is an issue but wouldn't want to lose the PVD corrosion protection unless I was really gaining something in return. Personally I have worn through the finish on a G43, no rust ever showed up but considering all things I would be less hesitant to cut up a G43. On the flip side GJM I am not as accurate as you or some of the other members here at 25 plus but even I can tell a considerable difference between the G43, the G43 with an aftermarket barrel and the G43X. Considering the level to which you shoot I don't think you would be able to ring the same level of accuracy out of a G43 slide unless you dropped in a match barrel. If that is not a remote concern then I'd say do the 43 slide. If this is, then do the G43X. For me I want as much accuracy as possible with them because I've essentially settled on 3 43X's and 1 G48.

YVK, I too was looking hard at the Brownells slide but was concerned about reliability. Would you be willing to share your experiences and would you be willing to try another one from someone else? I was thinking this would be better than carving up a G43X. GJM thank you for mentioning this. Hopefully Glock will come up with or release a railed MOS version.

YVK
10-04-2019, 08:59 AM
Mike C

First four magazines, each one with one failure to feed, 4 malfunctions/40 rounds, and that was the end of it. No issues with that OEM 43 slide on 43 or 48 frame, or that 48 frame with both 43 and 48 slides, before or after. I am sticking with factory Glock slides.

parishioner
10-04-2019, 10:13 AM
I also find the 48 to be more comfortable and stable carried AIWB.

Is this utilizing the same holster?

Mike C
10-04-2019, 11:25 AM
Is this utilizing the same holster?

Not BigT but using a Tenicor Velo there is a difference but it is barely noticeable because of the wedge and cantilever from the speed bump on the trigger guard when I wear the G48 vs the G43X. All in all they are both really stable, I imagine there could be more of a difference if one were to carry one of the Shield Arms S15 mags with 15 rounds in the grip but holster selection could mitigate a lot of issues. There might be a little more outward roll with a heavier grip but all stock I wouldn't say there is enough of a difference to have concern over. If you're running a quality holster from DSG, JM, Tenicore, CCC, V Dev group or the like don't sweat it.

Up1911Fan
10-04-2019, 09:01 PM
I'm planning the same with a 43X. Currently have a 48 but will leave that with irons. Going to go with either the RMSc or RomeoZero.

seamastersw
10-05-2019, 08:30 AM
I went with the 43x. I love everything about the gun except for one thing. I get the worst slide bite with it, like blood splatter on my face and glasses bad. It doesn't appear to be much of an issue for other people out there. After many internet searches I'm unable to find an aftermarket beavertail. The narrow width of the frame allows my right thumb knuckle to roll around and up the side of the beavertail that comes on the gun, it's just too narrow. No matter how I grip the 43x I get cut over and over again. Anyway, make sure the gun fits your hand before you buy.

MGW
10-05-2019, 08:40 AM
My experience between the 43x and 48 makes me think the 43x would be a better dot platform. Sights are easier for me to track in the 43x. The 48 is way less predictable for me.

HeavyDuty
10-05-2019, 09:58 AM
I have both a 43 and a 48. I’m seriously considering picking up one of the Brownells RDS cut slides for the 43, and I’ve played with the 43 slide on the 48 frame to create my own 43x. I’m just not completely sold on the RMSc and would like a few more small RDS options for a slimline 9 before I jump, or at least that’s my thinking as of this moment - I’m curious to see how the SIG Romeo0 works out.

I do think a 43 or 43x with a low profile RDS would be my near perfect everyday carry, my eyes are really appreciating the dot on my 19MOS.

GJM
10-06-2019, 10:18 AM
Interestingly, at the Gunsite Alumni shoot yesterday, they had a side match where you could win a Glock 48, 1911, Colt Cobra, Ruger LCP or M&P 2.0 by shooting the fastest time on a plate rack. The plate rack was about 12 yards, and had two eight inch plates, two stars and two smaller pieces of steel. I picked the 48 to shoot, and on my first run put down the fastest time of the day for the 48, and I think every handgun there. This morning when I looked at my new black G48, I see the rear plastic sight was left in the dovetail, so some luck must have played into things.

What sights for the Glock 48 — I would like Bold sights sized for the smaller pistols, but am not seeing them listed on Glock’s website? Same height front as a 43X or different? This pistol will get sent for a RMSc cut after I get the sights on and regulated.

jack malone
10-06-2019, 10:42 AM
Interestingly, at the Gunsite Alumni shoot yesterday, they had a side match where you could win a Glock 48, 1911, Colt Cobra, Ruger LCP or M&P 2.0 by shooting the fastest time on a plate rack. The plate rack was about 12 yards, and had two eight inch plates, two stars and two smaller pieces of steel. I picked the 48 to shoot, and on my first run put down the fastest time of the day for the 48, and I think every handgun there. This morning when I looked at my new black G48, I see the rear plastic sight was left in the dovetail, so some luck must have played into things.

What sights for the Glock 48 — I would like Bold sights sized for the smaller pistols, but am not seeing them listed on Glock’s website? Same height front as a 43X or different? This pistol will get sent for a RMSc cut after I get the sights on and regulated.

I have the Ameriglo Hackathorns on my 43X black. They are sized for the 43/48 and shoot to tip of front sight with 124 NATO and 124+p HST.

rainman
10-06-2019, 05:31 PM

Just installed these 10-8 Performance sights on my G48...
Glock Front Sight (all styles), (Glock Front Sight : .250h x .125w Orange Night/Day), SKU: 0502-250-60

Glock MOS Rear Sight, Standard Height (Notch Width: .140"), SKU: 0501-325-140

The above shoot pretty much POI = POA with Federal HST 147gr.

Interesting that my G48 also came with rear sight sitting left in the dovetail. I installed the 10-8 sights similarly, and the guns still shoots to POA. YMMV.

-Rainman

LittleLebowski
10-06-2019, 05:59 PM
#G48MasterRace (https://pistol-forum.com/usertag.php?do=list&action=hash&hash=G48MasterRace)

JHC
10-06-2019, 06:11 PM

Check out 10-8. They have a bold front sight. And they have a rear they were recommending for the 48 that is also their MOS option rear. Could come in handy some day

Doc_Glock
10-06-2019, 06:31 PM
I want to put a red dot, probably a RMSc, on a slim line Glock.

I have had multiple people I respect, tell me they greatly prefer the 43X, and an equal number tell me they shoot the 48 better. I have, at various times, believed I shot both the 48 and 43X better. Anyone have data to help resolve this?

I don’t see why you can’t extrapolate your data from the G34, 17, 19 length guns to the slim line guns. You shot the G34 better In Matches despite the perception you shot the other slides better.

So generally longer = better performing objectively.

willie
10-06-2019, 07:03 PM
A possible reason for their being less chaos in the 43x sights than in the 48x sights is the phenomenon seen when using handguns with shorter sight radii. The same would be noticed when comparing drills shot with a 3 inch J frame vs a 2 inch J frame. Even if the 3 inch barrel did not wiggle more than the other, shooter perception tells him it did as he views the sights in each case. It is this difference in perception that allows the bullseye shooter to aim more precisely. In field shooting longer barrels greatly aid accuracy. This statement becomes apparent for those shooting at distant targets. It is also noticeable when attempting to hit small targets at closer ranges.

Dagga Boy
10-06-2019, 07:20 PM
Having spent time with GJM training and knowing how technically proficient he is as well as amazing level of twitch reflexes, the speed in which the 43X slide is running versus the 48 allows him to see what he needs to faster. The have very different things I am looking for and with my arthritis and grip issues, soft Shooting is more important to me and I prefer the lesser slide speed of the 48. I have pretty much decided to really commit to spending a lot of my future time with the two guns that cause me a pained decision every day when I am deciding what to carry...the G48 or my PX4CC. I will likely be playing with a small red dot on the G48 as well. What has been happening lately due to schedule is the G48 is my default travel and driving gun and the PX4CC for everything else.

GJM
10-06-2019, 07:47 PM
Here is my update after two range sessions today, and some dry firing.

First, I found some Ameriglo Agents for the 43 in my stuff, and installed them. Moved the rear sight a skosh right in the dovetail, and stuck the MGW sight took in my range bag. Seems like I prefer the straight BOLD rear vs the U with the Agents, but decided to keep an open mind.

Shot the 48 first thing, and POA/POI seemed pretty good. I have learned it might take me several range sessions, with different light and sun angle, different ammo, and different me, to get a refined zero. I shoot a dot so much that I naturally target focus with irons when I first pick them up again. Interestingly, the U rear on the Agents seemed to help with target focus as I could easier look right through the sights and make them into a form of a dot. I shot enough to really, really like the 48. Enough so, even though my plan was to send this off for a dot, I may keep this one as is. I finished off with a walk back from 7-20 yards, with some Colt branded JHP I was given in the Gunsite goodie bag, and all ten rounds stayed in the 3x5 on a PF target. Only thing I didn’t have was 115 Gold Dot to test. Did some close splits with the 48, and was in the .17 range with A zone hits. Since I am not a fast splitter, this would suggest the 48 is OK fast, at least for me.

Came back to the range again this afternoon, as my wife was having trouble with a Romeo 3 Max and needed to zero a replacement. More shooting, the POI may be an inch right at 20 yards, so the rear may get nudged to center if this trend continues. Another walk back with 9/10 in 3x5 out to 20. Trigger feels good, and the pistol has functioned for me so far.

Not sure I can generalize longer to shorter based on my 45/34 experience, but I am open to feel and results being different. Intellectually I prefer the 48, as the extra barrel seems more in the envelope of ammo performance, generally shorter pistols are not as reliable as four inch ones, and the 48 seems softer in my hands.

I brought a 43X to test against the 48, but couldn’t bring myself to spend the time looking for an increment, when I would rather devote time to competition training with my full size pistol.

JHC
10-07-2019, 06:03 AM
A possible reason for their being less chaos in the 43x sights than in the 48x sights is the phenomenon seen when using handguns with shorter sight radii. The same would be noticed when comparing drills shot with a 3 inch J frame vs a 2 inch J frame. Even if the 3 inch barrel did not wiggle more than the other, shooter perception tells him it did as he views the sights in each case. It is this difference in perception that allows the bullseye shooter to aim more precisely. In field shooting longer barrels greatly aid accuracy. This statement becomes apparent for those shooting at distant targets. It is also noticeable when attempting to hit small targets at closer ranges.

Very true generally. On the other hand a couple of us have measured wider dispersal of hits with the 48 vs 43X shooting speed oriented drills with both guns side by side for similar times. Hits on target are measurable vs perception. When 365L shooters reported comparisons vs the 48's recoil dynamics, I registered that as another interesting data point.

JHC
10-07-2019, 06:06 AM
Just installed these 10-8 Performance sights on my G48...
Glock Front Sight (all styles), (Glock Front Sight : .250h x .125w Orange Night/Day), SKU: 0502-250-60

Glock MOS Rear Sight, Standard Height (Notch Width: .140"), SKU: 0501-325-140

The above shoot pretty much POI = POA with Federal HST 147gr.

Interesting that my G48 also came with rear sight sitting left in the dovetail. I installed the 10-8 sights similarly, and the guns still shoots to POA. YMMV.

-Rainman

GJM I missed this post on my phone yesterday. That is the combo I was referring to. Sounds pretty slick to me.

GJM
10-07-2019, 06:56 AM
GJM I missed this post on my phone yesterday. That is the combo I was referring to. Sounds pretty slick to me.

The Ameriglo Agent is .190 tall in front, curious as to why the 10-8 is so high?

HeavyDuty
10-07-2019, 07:04 AM
FWIW my 48 ended up taking a 0.200 Ameriglo front with their Hack rear.

JHC
10-07-2019, 07:05 AM
The Ameriglo Agent is .190 tall in front, curious as to why the 10-8 is so high?

I'm not sure. To match the MOS sights height I assume. Generally, I've seen those tall sets I needed to make a nice tight (slide to frame) standard frame 9mm's shoot to my preferred POI just over the front post - to be pretty much what the 48 or 43X needed also. Generally that's been .245 tall HD front posts for me since I've had so many laying around. I have one set of the Wilson Combat sights for standard frame Glocks which is their Vicker's Battlesight rear matched with a .250 tall AmeriGlo bold front. That too is working very well on my silver slide 43X.

GJM
10-07-2019, 01:26 PM
Thoughts on a comprehensive course of fire to tease out the practical difference, if any, between the 48 and 43X?

JHC
10-07-2019, 01:57 PM
Thoughts on a comprehensive course of fire to tease out the practical difference, if any, between the 48 and 43X?

Off the top of my head

1. All or a subset of Gabe's standards - nice because it will measure well against known performance with other pistols
2. The 10-8 headbox standard (15 yards)
3. 10 rounds from Ready to a B8 in 15 seconds from 25 yards.

GJM
10-07-2019, 03:04 PM
Off the top of my head

1. All or a subset of Gabe's standards - nice because it will measure well against known performance with other pistols
2. The 10-8 headbox standard (15 yards)
3. 10 rounds from Ready to a B8 in 15 seconds from 25 yards.

Seems like there might be two tests — an overall test that includes a range of shooting tasks, and a second test that tries to tease out this “chaotic Glock 48 sight phenomena?” For the sight tracking, Gabe’s test might be good, but I would start from some ready position and take the draw out since they have the same grip, and those tests are so draw intensive, a bad grip on a particular evo could skew the data.

JHC
10-07-2019, 03:18 PM
Seems like there might be two tests — an overall test that includes a range of shooting tasks, and a second test that tries to tease out this “chaotic Glock 48 sight phenomena?” For the sight tracking, Gabe’s test might be good, but I would start from some ready position and take the draw out since they have the same grip, and those tests are so draw intensive, a bad grip on a particular evo could skew the data.

+1 definitely agree. I did a lot of my own comparo's from Ready to remove that variable. Any of his 7 yard standards other than immediate incapacitation can be pushed hard enough to see what if any diff manifests, in my experience anyway. Just two to the 3x5 wasn't enough of a string for me.

The Test Mike C used as a benchmark might be useful as well. I preferred the balls out 7 yard speed drills for this purpose.

Tensaw
10-07-2019, 04:26 PM
Hey, not trying to assign work to you guys, but it might also be very interesting to roll a G19 into the mix and see what, if anything, one might be giving up with a 43X/48.

JHC
10-07-2019, 05:23 PM
Hey, not trying to assign work to you guys, but it might also be very interesting to roll a G19 into the mix and see what, if anything, one might be giving up with a 43X/48.

I’ve got some of that posted in the range reports thread. Bottom line, next to nothing for me.

ST911
10-07-2019, 05:25 PM

Little to nothing. Quantifiably. What is different is shooter and task dependent.

GJM
10-07-2019, 06:51 PM
I’ve got some of that posted in the range reports thread. Bottom line, next to nothing for me.

Little to nothing. Quantifiably. What is different is shooter and task dependent.

Hey isn’t there a thread about the X and 48 being EDC game-changers? :eek:

Mike C
10-07-2019, 09:30 PM
+1 definitely agree. I did a lot of my own comparo's from Ready to remove that variable. Any of his 7 yard standards other than immediate incapacitation can be pushed hard enough to see what if any diff manifests, in my experience anyway. Just two to the 3x5 wasn't enough of a string for me.

The Test Mike C used as a benchmark might be useful as well. I preferred the balls out 7 yard speed drills for this purpose.

I also love Bills to B-8 at 7 for score as fast as I can go from the holster, but as you pointed out already low ready is a better starting point.

Hey isn’t there a thread about the X and 48 being EDC game-changers? :eek:

Yes pretty good so far but what we need is comparative analysis thread with data from solid shooters such a yourself, JHC etc. with benchmarks between 19, 43X and 48. Not to get all goofy but I am also looking at a compensated variation of the 43X as well. I have been bench marking Comped 43X VS, stock vs 19.

Hey, not trying to assign work to you guys, but it might also be very interesting to roll a G19 into the mix and see what, if anything, one might be giving up with a 43X/48. Short answer, at my skill level fewer A's on fast drills at 7 yards but not a lot less, inside of 7 minutia. At 10 plus yards time to make solid hits. I think more than anything you're just giving up capacity for ability to more easily conceal the gun. I can run a 43X as well, (almost as well) as a 19 on Gabe's standards. I have to be more careful with the splits though and am just a hair slower on some drills but overall performance is the same.

GJM
10-07-2019, 09:42 PM
Some things I already know.

1) on high round count days the 19 is easier on your hands than the thinner 43X/48.

2) in ten round states, the 43X/48 is more reliable than a 19 with ten round magazines.

3) the 43X/48 carries smaller than a 19 for me.

4) the 19 can be OEM MOS, where you have to direct mill a 43X/48, with more limited optics choices.

5) a 19 G5 trigger has more roll, where a 43X/48 is a harder wall.

6) the 19 is easier to reload than a 43X/48.

7) the wider 19 grip is easier for me to draw than a 43X/48.

rainman
10-08-2019, 03:25 AM

Might be some info here that you're looking for...
http://www.10-8performance.com/glock-43-43x-48/

Since the Glock 43X and 48 are somewhat larger, they can accept some full size pistol sights without the sights seeming "too big" on top. We strongly recommend our MOS Standard Height Rear Sight (.250" net blade height) and a .250" tall front.

More info in the link above.

Subjective thoughts...
I have only one range session (~100 rnds) using these sights. Overall impressions are positive.
I'm one of those folks who ignores 'U' notch vs 'square'. I probably prefer square, but didn't find the 'U' objectionable on these.
Overall I like these...again, YMMV.

-Rainman

GJM
10-08-2019, 03:31 PM
I decided to start my range session today, with a 20 round test of the 43X followed by 20 rounds repeating the same things with the 48. American Eagle 115 for both pistols. The 48 has Ameriglo Agent sights and the 43X has Ameriglo Glock BOLD sights — so very similar. All the shooting was from an extended ready to remove draw and bad grip variation.

I shot the 43X first. Have been using the 48 lately, so I wasn’t sure what to expect. Fired two shots at a one inch square from 7 yards, then 8 rounds of two shot splits at 7 yards to the eight inch circle. Then shot eight rounds of two shot splits to the 3x5 at 7 yards, finishing with two rounds to the one inch square at 7 yards. Here it is:

https://youtu.be/oExJffYQrGY

I then immediately repeated the same exercise with the Glock 48. Here it is:

https://youtu.be/z4ofxarYTH8

I have to tell you that I was surprised by the results. Pretty much on every drill, I did better with the 43X, despite shooting the 43X cold, and my recent familiarity with the 48. The difference seemed significant enough that, even though I arrived wearing the 48, after finishing my range session I went home wearing the 43X.

JHC
10-08-2019, 04:58 PM
I decided to start my range session today, with a 20 round test of the 43X followed by 20 rounds repeating the same things with the 48. American Eagle 115 for both pistols. The 48 has Ameriglo Agent sights and the 43X has Ameriglo Glock BOLD sights — so very similar. All the shooting was from an extended ready to remove draw and bad grip variation.

I shot the 43X first. Have been using the 48 lately, so I wasn’t sure what to expect. Fired two shots at a one inch square from 7 yards, then 8 rounds of two shot splits at 7 yards to the eight inch circle. Then shot eight rounds of two shot splits to the 3x5 at 7 yards, finishing with two rounds to the one inch square at 7 yards. Here it is:

https://youtu.be/oExJffYQrGY

I then immediately repeated the same exercise with the Glock 48. Here it is:

https://youtu.be/z4ofxarYTH8

I have to tell you that I was surprised by the results. Pretty much on every drill, I did better with the 43X, despite shooting the 43X cold, and my recent familiarity with the 48. The difference seemed significant enough that, even though I arrived wearing the 48, after finishing my range session I went home wearing the 43X.

Do you have any observations re how the tracked in recoil as your eyes read it?

I can’t say I’m surprised though ref our conversations about what I’ve seen.

Dismas316
10-08-2019, 06:56 PM
It was hard for me to see your results but it appeared that the 48 shots where a bit higher? This is the same type of result I got from similar pair drills. The 43x is snappier but for me it would come back to zero very quickly and provided better hits but felt harder to control due to a little more recoil. I think that what seems to be surprising to many is the 48 “feels” like its slightly less recoil but the 43x appears to come back to zero quicker. My drills were 10 yards so my splits weren’t as quite as fast, they were high 20’s low 30’s. Shooting the 365 XL for me was even better results and not as much recoil but still came back to zero quicker. No way to tell without a dot but the recoil arch I would guess is less. At 10 yards I was able to consistently perform a bit better with the XL then either of my glocks.

RJ
10-08-2019, 06:59 PM
Since the Glock 43X and 48 are somewhat larger, they can accept some full size pistol sights without the sights seeming "too big" on top. We strongly recommend our MOS Standard Height Rear Sight (.250" net blade height) and a .250" tall front.

I have much respect for the folks at 10-8 Performance, but I am at a loss to understand the logic behind the bolded statement?

I'm glad the sights seem to be working for you, though.

GJM
10-08-2019, 08:18 PM
It was hard for me to see your results but it appeared that the 48 shots where a bit higher? This is the same type of result I got from similar pair drills. The 43x is snappier but for me it would come back to zero very quickly and provided better hits but felt harder to control due to a little more recoil. I think that what seems to be surprising to many is the 48 “feels” like its slightly less recoil but the 43x appears to come back to zero quicker. My drills were 10 yards so my splits weren’t as quite as fast, they were high 20’s low 30’s. Shooting the 365 XL for me was even better results and not as much recoil but still came back to zero quicker. No way to tell without a dot but the recoil arch I would guess is less. At 10 yards I was able to consistently perform a bit better with the XL then either of my glocks.

Do you have any observations re how the tracked in recoil as your eyes read it?

I can’t say I’m surprised though ref our conversations about what I’ve seen.

I really don’t have a theory to explain the results I got. I have been misled by “feel” enough times, that I pretty much look at the hits and time, and that is it.

GJM
10-08-2019, 08:30 PM
End of the day, we went back to the range for some zeroing with optics, and I figured I would shoot the 43X on a B8 at 25.

First two five round groups were first shots fired this afternoon, with 115 Gold Dot JHP.

During the session, I had pretty good trigger control. This is a 150 Syntech group from a Glock with an optic. Not sure about the flyer.

I finished up with one last group out of the 43X at 25 with 147 HST. Seems like the X likes HST.

ssb
10-09-2019, 06:40 PM

I'm waiting on a response from Bruce at Primary Machine. Supposedly they can mill their 1911/CZ RMR adapter onto a Glock 43 slide, so that's the route I'll be going.

I went 43X. To me, the 48 makes more sense as an iron sighted gun. As sight radius is irrelevant with an RDS, I chose the smaller overall package for my project.

Gun Mutt
10-10-2019, 02:32 PM
I don't even own an RDS pistol, just throwing this out there- Suarez seems to have dots figured out and I know he's got them on the 43x/48 platform.

GJM
10-10-2019, 08:19 PM
It pretty much blew 40 all day today, as a weather front came through. End of the day, my wife wanted to hit the range to test her CO pistol after some spring tweaking. I tagged along, but didn’t bring my game gun. Once we got there, I couldn’t resist shooting, and all I had was the 43X I was wearing.

I decided to establish a baseline of my current performance with the 43X. Must have been a year or more since I did a whole session with a little pistol. I started with 5/8 strings of Gabe’s test, since I could do that with two magazines. Then I did splits to an eight inch circle at 7 yards, followed by splits on an eight inch steel at ten yards. Next I did draws to a two inch dot at 7 yards, and finished up with draws to the eight inch at 20 yards. It was windy enough that the target was moving around.

https://youtu.be/d3svkFzIcyY

Dagga Boy
10-10-2019, 11:48 PM
And that video is why my 43X slide is headed to GJM and his 48 slide is headed to me....I simply don’t shoot that fast and at this stage in the game with my hand pain issues will take softer impulse over quicker impulse. I think I have figured out that because Shooting has become painful, I have developed a recoil anticipation tightening that I can usually work through with soft Guns like the PX4CC, but start getting sub conscience mental fear with snappy guns like the 43X. The 48 just strikes a good personal balance for me.

GJM
10-10-2019, 11:56 PM
And that video is why my 43X slide is headed to GJM and his 48 slide is headed to me....I simply don’t shoot that fast and at this stage in the game with my hand pain issues will take softer impulse over quicker impulse. I think I have figured out that because Shooting has become painful, I have developed a recoil anticipation tightening that I can usually work through with soft Guns like the PX4CC, but start getting sub conscience mental fear with snappy guns like the 43X. The 48 just strikes a good personal balance for me.

Darryl, you should try some Federal Syntech 150 ammo, for range days when you shoot much. I wasn’t using it in this session, but in a lightweight polymer pistol, it is incredibly soft.

http://www.sgammo.com/product/federal-ammo-sale/500-round-case-9mm-luger-subsonic-150-grain-tsj-federal-american-eagle-syn

JHC
10-11-2019, 06:04 AM

I prefer the 43X but have also observed the 48 is noticeably softer in recoil. That is not important to me but it's worth noting.

TJG74
10-11-2019, 09:27 AM
Hey GJM was wondering if you had any insight on the difference between the single stack and double stack when it comes to slide length. From past drills with the double stacks, you are faster/accurate with the long slides vs the shorter slides and with the 48 and 43x it’s the opposite. Do you think it just comes down to recoil spring and how it affects slide motion in particular size guns or maybe how single stack vs double stack affect your grip differently.
TJ

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

GJM
10-11-2019, 09:33 AM
Hey GJM was wondering if you had any insight on the difference between the single stack and double stack when it comes to slide length. From past drills with the double stacks, you are faster/accurate with the long slides vs the shorter slides and with the 48 and 43x it’s the opposite. Do you think it just comes down to recoil spring and how it affects slide motion in particular size guns or maybe how single stack vs double stack affect your grip differently.
TJ

Good question, and the answer is I don’t know.

I do know the 43 is small in my hands, and harder for me to shoot, while the 43X/48 is closer to a 19 in feel and performance. I suspect ling vs short slide is individual model specific.

TJG74
10-11-2019, 11:20 AM
Thanks for the reply GJM and thanks for all you do here, you are a great resource for the community

Dagga Boy
10-11-2019, 04:31 PM
I prefer the 43X but have also observed the 48 is noticeably softer in recoil. That is not important to me but it's worth noting.

GJM and I just talked about this. When I first shot the 43X it reminded me of a gun I shot REALLY well back when I was shooting on a 50,000 round a year schedule and could grip the crap out of a pistol...my Glock 27 with a plus mag base. It simply returned the sights fast and I was never really waiting for them. Now, knowing it is going to hurt when I press the trigger, the soft shooting thin grip G48 works for me. I also think there may be a bonus to pressing the trigger on it with my pad rather than the first crease of my index finger. I am at a place where soft recoil is important.

GJM
10-11-2019, 04:54 PM
I find kydex IWB/AIWB mag pouches for the 43X/48 to be somewhat uncomfortable and bulky, unlike the pistol itself which feels slim AIWB. Just bought some more Snake Eater Tactical soft IWB pouches. Anyone else using something slick?

Anyone put a Tyrant comp on a 43X?

Mitch
10-11-2019, 06:02 PM
I find kydex IWB/AIWB mag pouches for the 43X/48 to be somewhat uncomfortable and bulky, unlike the pistol itself which feels slim AIWB. Just bought some more Snake Eater Tactical soft IWB pouches. Anyone else using something slick?

I’ve been using Neomags for my 43X and P365s.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mike C
10-11-2019, 08:12 PM

I'm using the Snake Eater Tactical as well. I've been really happy with them. Not fun to practice with though. I will get some JM pouches soon. I've been playing with an Agency Arms comp and a Griffin Armament comp. With the Agency Arms comp there is a noticeable difference in recoil. I don't have enough data to feel like sharing is worth it now but the G43X with a comp is ridiculously fun. I will at some point drop a RDS on one of them. I imagine with a red dot the difference in recoil would be more readily apparent. I've also been playing with tape configurations to help with locking the slippery sucker in. This is the first gun I've actually ever really considered getting stippling done.

Anyone with experience with the Wilson Starburst grip mod?

GJM
10-11-2019, 08:16 PM
I'm using the Snake Eater Tactical as well. I've been really happy with them. Not fun to practice with though. I will get some JM pouches soon. I've been playing with an Agency Arms comp and a Griffin Armament comp. With the Agency Arms comp there is a noticeable difference in recoil. I don't have enough data to feel like sharing is worth it now but the G43X with a comp is ridiculously fun. I will at some point drop a RDS on one of them. I imagine with a red dot the difference in recoil would be more readily apparent.

What barrel are you using, and will the X with a Comp fit in a 48 holster?

Mike C
10-11-2019, 08:18 PM
GJM, with the Griffen Armament and the Agency Arms both will fit in a VELO, same goes with the G48, (I have a 43X model). I also have a JM AIWB Wing Claw 2.0 long coming soon. I can let you know when I get it.

ETA: I am using a Victory First barrel. Lugs are rough and show slight peening but that has stopped. I wish there was a factory threaded option. FWIW with my marksmanship abilities I cannot tell the difference between the Victory First barrel and the factory 43X barrel. I could however see a marked difference between it and the G43 barrel. I have had zero malfunctions with it in my G43's which are now gone and the two G43X's I've run it in. Total rounds through it are somewhere North of 2500.

GJM
10-11-2019, 08:44 PM
Subjectively, my 43X and 48 seem to shoot smaller groups than my Glock 43 pistols.

ssb
10-12-2019, 11:38 PM
Did my first hundred rounds with the 43X today. The serrated trigger needs to go (did not play well with NATO 124gr) but I'm otherwise happy with it -- despite the small grip diameter I feel like I've got pretty good control over the gun under recoil and the sights snapped back onto target pretty easily when shooting at assessment speed. I turned in an 88 on a B8 at 20 yards using the stock sights, which I was pretty happy with given that I haven't shot an iron-sighted gun in four months. Next step is getting it milled.

Navyguns
10-16-2019, 02:44 PM
Having shot both the G48 & 43X my perception is this, there is a slight sharper sensation with the 43X over the 48. Slight enough that unless you are focusing on it you might not tell a difference. You probably would if you shot them back to back but it’s not going to be dramatic. However, the G19 will handle softer than either one.

I shot the 43X at 25 yards and felt the pistol is capable as long as the shooter is. I know this holds true for any pistol but given the pistol’s size and sight radius I think a common misperception of such pistols is close and personal. Dialing in the sights with your carry load would make me feel similarly confident with the 43X as I am with larger pistols shooting at distance.

The 48 and 43X are easy guns to carry and considering their shooting characteristics are remarkable weapons. You can’t go wrong with either one but I own the 43X and not the 48.

Navyguns
10-16-2019, 04:01 PM
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20191016/8afa462629b75c9aef29db85d3f268c7.jpg

Ten rounds at fifteen yards shooting 115 grain Sellier & Bellot. My 43X is a fully stock pistol. Once I saw where the shots were printing I noticed a left bias on my rear sight.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20191016/e0514eef6a2dccabe24e22b144483d8e.jpg

Ten rounds at twenty-five yards.

Being a left-handed shooter I’ve never had an issue with shots landing towards the left side of the target. Well, until today. I hope better sights will help remedy this issue.

Mike C
10-21-2019, 02:23 PM
GJM, JMCK 2.0 Wing doesn't work with the Agency Arms comp on the G43X. Griffin Armament does fine as it is significantly shorter than the AA's comp. If one wanted the beveled end could be opened up and the AA comp would then work though. As a side note I forgot just how comfortable the JM holsters are, I only wish I could get one with a hump on the trigger guard like the VELO does and ditch the wing.

ssb
10-22-2019, 07:48 AM
Sent my 43X to L&M Precision yesterday for milling, hopefully it'll be back by the end of the year. In the mean time I'll need to get a holster and a fix for the serrated trigger.

einherjarvalk
10-31-2019, 02:44 AM
Has anyone figured out the dimensions of the Ameriglo Bold sights that Glock is putting on the 43X/48? Ameriglo's website offers exactly zero help (in fact, there's not a single mention of the 48 to be found there), and Glock's website also doesn't list the 48 on any Ameriglo Bold listings.

I've got a pair of take-off G45 Ameriglo Bolds, but I'm hesitant to put them onto the 48 until I know for sure I'm going to have correct POA/POI.

CanineCombatives
10-31-2019, 07:00 PM
I don’t know if this will answer your question fully but the bolds that came on my 48 from glock are marked H3 DK W20 front, and just H3 DK on the rear.

HeavyDuty
10-31-2019, 07:51 PM
I don’t know if this will answer your question fully but the bolds that came on my 48 from glock are marked H3 DK W20 front, and just H3 DK on the rear.

I think that’s a 0.200 front, which is what I ended up with on my 48 with a Hack rear. The “normal” 0.180 shot waaaay high.

vandal
11-05-2019, 11:54 AM
Interesting. As a right-handed shooter I've never had an issue with shots landing toward the right side of the target... until my G43X/48. I think my big hands and the new grip size is resulting in a trigger finger "reach around" where my finger is pulling the gun vs the typical pushing it away.

Being a left-handed shooter I’ve never had an issue with shots landing towards the left side of the target. Well, until today. I hope better sights will help remedy this issue.