PDA

View Full Version : Getting up to speed -- TR "Urban Rifle" next year

NETim
04-16-2012, 10:35 AM
I come from a family of rifle shooters. I grew up shooting squirrels out of the tops of oak and walnut trees. I blasted starlings, pigeons and sparrows out of tall barns with pellet rifles on cold winter nights. We hunted down the always dangerous and wily gray buzzing grasshoppers on hot summer days with our Daisys in dry, dusty cow yards (followed closely by a platoon of hungry farm cats acting as the clean up squad.)

I am the redneck your mother warned you about.

So you'd think I'd be an AR guy right? Nope. Deer, prairie dog and brown bear type bolt guns populate my vault. I have an AR (a Sabre 16" middy) but don't use it much and not really up to speed on them. The terminology and drills associated with the AR platform are still somewhat foreign to me.

Having just finished a TH2 class at TR (handgun classes are all I've ever taken from Clint), my brother talked me into signing up for his storied "Urban Rifle" class next year after we finished TH2 this past Saturday.

So now, it's time to get fluent in all things AR.

I've been thinking about picking up an S&W .22 to assist in this process. It appears it has a good reputation and worth the $$$.

Is the "MOE" version worth the extra dollars? The sights appear to be of better quality than the standard unit. The better stock and grip are a bonus IMHO.

Eventually, I'll have to pick up a more serious 5.56 AR though. But that's down the road. Right now, I'd just like to start running some drills and gain more familiarity with the platform and the .22 LR means lots of practice, cheap practice.

TIA!

Jay Cunningham
04-16-2012, 11:17 AM
The MOE version has some nice features, but they can be hard to find. I would only buy one over the standard model if it was convenient for you to do so.

seabiscuit
04-16-2012, 12:47 PM
I don't think the sights are really an upgrade... The stock fixed ones are pretty nice. Love my 15-22, but do wish I had MOE stock and grip.

rob_s
04-16-2012, 03:41 PM
The thing that my M&P15-22 doesn't have that the MOE does is the rear sling swivel. They may all come with that now. I'd gladly spend the time sourcing the MOE, and pay a premium, if buying today to get that feature alone.

Ga Shooter
04-16-2012, 03:56 PM
I have an MOE version and really like it since my ARs wear a lot of Magpul furniture. It makes training feel very similar IMHO. I found a used one that I traded some ammo for at www.theoutdoorstrader.com . To me I had to wait about and extra month to find the great deal but it was worth it.

Odin Bravo One
04-16-2012, 06:14 PM
I got the MOE, because it was only a slightly higher price (wholesale) than the standard. Mark up on those little suckers is amazing................

NETim
04-17-2012, 03:20 PM
Thanks for the responses! I can get the MOE version from a local dealer (he says he'll have them shortly) for about $130 more than the standard (Walmart price.)