PDA

View Full Version : 1911 GSP Build

RONK
09-26-2019, 06:02 AM
Hi,there was a thread a while ago about a member buying a used Springfield 1911 GSP pistol,I had one and like most good things that I had,I don't have it any longer.I'd like to solicit your help in building a 1911 GSP based on a Springfield Mil-Spec Defender.Like the original,I want a simple and reliable 1911.Any suggestions on gunsmiths and parts for the build?The only compromise that I'd make to modernity is a more visible front sight.I haven't had a 1911 in a very long time and feel it's time to get back to basics.Thanks for any help!

TOTS
09-26-2019, 07:18 AM
Does your wallet know what is about to happen!!??

All kidding aside, Tokarev, I believe, was the poster you were referencing. I remember because I lusted over those pics for a while! Searching “Gunsite” should find his thread pretty easily. Phenomenal gun, and I’m glad you are taking on the project. I think Yost was the original smith on his pistol. Any of the names you will see here can do what you want. I will also throw out some of the new guys on a 1911 addicts website for consideration as their waitlists and pricing may be more attractive.

And the new Colt Gunsite Pistol is a great gun at a decent price as well!

Dave Williams
09-26-2019, 07:59 AM
I just picked up a Defender planning on a GSP build. Then I shot it and man , it is pretty nice out of the box. Needs a few edges broken, but other than that it’s got a decent trigger and sights. I put some pachs on it and I’m really liking it.

Robinson
09-26-2019, 09:02 AM
The only compromise that I'd make to modernity is a more visible front sight.I haven't had a 1911 in a very long time and feel it's time to get back to basics.

Not sure what to make of that statement, since a GSP will have several features that differentiate it from a basic/traditional 1911.

beavertail grip safety
serrated front strap
updated sights (typically Novak or Novak-style)
de-horned edges

What a GSP does not have that many modern 1911s do have: a GSP will typically have a serrated front strap instead of checkered, and will not have an undercut trigger guard. They also mostly have plain black front sights. A lot of them have been made with thin grip screw bushings.

A current production Colt GSP would be pretty much good to go, though I would install some regular grip screw bushings as I don't care for thin grips.

Hambo
09-26-2019, 09:26 AM
The original 1980s GSPs were pretty basic. Cooper's point was not to add what he thought was unnecessary, which is pretty much what everybody considers standard now. IIRC they had bobbed or Commander hammers, maybe an extended thumb safety, and different sights. I bought Mag Pack magazines in the early 1980s because GSPs shipped with them.

I believe the GSP I had was a 1990s version because it had Novaks, but it could have had additional work done later.

RONK
09-26-2019, 10:04 AM
Thanks guys!Hambo,yes sir,the one I had and would like to replace was very basic.

41magfan
09-26-2019, 10:06 AM
Personally speaking, I don't think any handgun really needs anything more than usable sights and a manageable trigger .... all the rest is pretty much fluff. But, I like a little fluff sometimes.

Any decent gunsmith can do sights, trigger work, safeties and beavertails so I'd just find someone with a good reputation that doesn't have an extended queue. My wannabe GSP is this early series 80 pistol was mildly tweaked by Ed Brown when he was still a one-man bench; trigger job, barrel bushing, beavertail and fire control parts. The Novak sights were installed later in '92 by Ted Yost (an overnight job) when he was running the shop at Gunsite. The gun still has the factory barrel and the slide/frame fit is mediocre (I'm being nice) but it still shoots better than I do. The only time it's ever puked was when I wore out the factory extractor.

At practical distances, I can make all the magic I'm capable of without resorting to one of my other 1911's that cost three or four times as much.

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/640x480q90/922/1zJ0Mp.jpg (https://imageshack.com/i/pm1zJ0Mpj)

Wondering Beard
09-26-2019, 11:01 AM
Hi,there was a thread a while ago about a member buying a used Springfield 1911 GSP pistol,I had one and like most good things that I had,I don't have it any longer.I'd like to solicit your help in building a 1911 GSP based on a Springfield Mil-Spec Defender.Like the original,I want a simple and reliable 1911.Any suggestions on gunsmiths and parts for the build?The only compromise that I'd make to modernity is a more visible front sight.I haven't had a 1911 in a very long time and feel it's time to get back to basics.Thanks for any help!

When you say GSP, do you mean this:

Or do you mean this:

https://dygtyjqp7pi0m.cloudfront.net/i/31748/27408705_1.jpg?v=8D4CBB835167DD0

41magfan
09-26-2019, 12:06 PM
When the GSP was introduced in late '86, this is what Cooper had to say about it in Gunsite Gossip:

"Last month we announced the availability of the Gunsite Service Pistol. It is constituted as follows:

Springfield Armory Parts
Hi-vix, fixed sights
Trigger Job (tested and proved)
Throat job
Extractor job
Speed safety
Oversized solid bushing
Bobbed hammer
Press-fit firing-pin stop
De-horning
Dull matte-black finish

The price is $545, including two magazines (and a pinned grip safety if desired). The only extra-cost option is a starboard-side safety."

ETA: Some of you may remember when a few GSP's were made from Auto Ordinance parts (this was pre-Yost period guns). Personally, I thought that was equivalent to polishing a turd and apparently Ted Yost did, too. He bought a bunch of them back just to get them off the streets. :^)

theJanitor
09-26-2019, 12:31 PM
I recall some of the originals having Millett front sights. whatever you choose to do, avoid those

03RN
09-26-2019, 04:50 PM
I could be pretty happy with a milspec with a tritium front sight and nothing else. As long as it doesn't have the new roll mark.

I've seen used loadeds for $600ish fwiw that seem to be what you want and would need less work done.
My EDC

RONK
09-26-2019, 10:17 PM
Wondering Beard,sir the pistol pictured with the Gunsite hat is the one that I had and the one I'd like again.Thank you all again.

Hambo
09-27-2019, 07:28 AM
As long as it doesn't have the new roll mark.

What's with the new roll mark hate? Or to put it another way, what's with the billboard roll mark love?

Rosco Benson
09-27-2019, 08:41 AM
I had one of the original GSP's, built on a Springfield (just like the one in the photo with the hat). The only option on these was an ambi-safety for southpaws. The front sight was silver soldered into a longitudinal pocket cut into the slide and the rear sight was a rounded Robbie Barrkman design that fit the GI dovetail. The pistol was well-dehorned and business-like.

I was a bit underwhelmed by it. The hammer's half-cock notch was contacting the sear when the hammer dropped and the bushing lug was soft and the bushing was pounding itself out of the slide. Also, the mag well wasn't beveled. I ended up selling it.

The lack of a modern high-swept beavertail was a negative too. I know Cooper hated these and mocked them as "ducktails" but they are a real benefit to shooter comfort.

John Harrison makes a rear sight that is a slightly gussied-up version of the rear sight used on the GSP. It is the best GI-dovetail rear sight available.

Rosco

Wondering Beard
09-27-2019, 10:48 AM
Wondering Beard,sir the pistol pictured with the Gunsite hat is the one that I had and the one I'd like again.Thank you all again.

I'd contact John Harrison (http://www.harrisoncustom.com/) for that job. I believe he has a package (the basic one) that covers pretty much what you want.

Robinson
09-27-2019, 01:16 PM
I'd contact John Harrison (http://www.harrisoncustom.com/) for that job. I believe he has a package (the basic one) that covers pretty much what you want.

And prepare to wait.

John Harrison's work is top notch but his waiting list is pretty long. He will take on certain small jobs that use his parts and don't require milling.

theJanitor
09-27-2019, 01:39 PM
a build of that spec is pretty simple for most good smiths, and doesn't require milling

Silver solder front sight
Harrison or hardball rear sight
bushing/link
trigger job
thumb safety
dehorn

it's the frontstrap that will be the holdup if you want serrations or checkering

03RN
09-27-2019, 11:00 PM
What's with the new roll mark hate? Or to put it another way, what's with the billboard roll mark love?

Just personal preference. I think it's gross looking. I also don't like Dan wesson roll marks. Between the font and the placement I just don't like them.

Springfields and colts are aestheticly pleasing to me

RONK
09-29-2019, 08:38 PM
Thanks again gentleman.Mr. Harrison does beautiful work but it's well beyond my needs.TOTS did make the admonishment of my wallet knowing what might happen.Any suggestions on competent gunsmiths?Thanks again.

Robinson
09-29-2019, 11:20 PM
Thanks again gentleman.Mr. Harrison does beautiful work but it's well beyond my needs.TOTS did make the admonishment of my wallet knowing what might happen.Any suggestions on competent gunsmiths?Thanks again.

Contact Evolution Armory. They aren't cheap but may be able to meet your requirements within your budget.

https://www.evolutionarmory.com/

Tokarev
10-01-2019, 01:58 PM
Any suggestions on gunsmiths and parts for the build?The only compromise that I'd make to modernity is a more visible front sight.

Don Williams' Basic Street Package will probably get you pretty close to what you want.

http://theactionworks.com/colt-1911/

bofe954
10-01-2019, 04:36 PM
Springfield custom carry seems to be in there too.

https://www.springfield-armory.com/custom/

I emailed Harrison recently and he said he was 8 years out and not taking any work. At the 8 years I'd have put my name on a list if he'd have done it, but he would not.

RONK
10-01-2019, 08:08 PM
Thanks again for the continued help.I called Springfield Armory's Custom Shop today and asked if they would do the work,their reply was currently they're just doing the work that is listed on the Custom Shop web page.The woman that I spoke to did say that they're considering expanding the services but she didn't know specifically what or when.

theJanitor
10-01-2019, 08:21 PM
IIRC, the original GSP was trigger, sights, thumb safety, and reliability work.

LOTS of smiths (Glenn, Milks, Williams, Sokol, etc) have a basic package that mimics that, plus or minus a few things.

TheNewbie
10-03-2019, 03:41 AM
Springfield custom carry seems to be in there too.

https://www.springfield-armory.com/custom/

I emailed Harrison recently and he said he was 8 years out and not taking any work. At the 8 years I'd have put my name on a list if he'd have done it, but he would not.

8 years??? Wow!

bofe954
10-03-2019, 08:09 AM
Thanks again for the continued help.I called Springfield Armory's Custom Shop today and asked if they would do the work,their reply was currently they're just doing the work that is listed on the Custom Shop web page.The woman that I spoke to did say that they're considering expanding the services but she didn't know specifically what or when.

Right, they aren't really a "custom shop" right now, they just build specific stuff, the custom carry isn't far off though. Not sure you'd be money ahead or behind vs buying a base gun and having it worked on. Their wait time used to be pretty long too. Not sure what it is now that they are only doing specific builds. Maybe they stock a few, I don't know.

Tokarev
10-03-2019, 01:01 PM
If you see this before the auction ends and/or it gets relisted; this might be a good option:

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/833668626

Price seems good and the CGS is a nice pistol. Pretty much the current thoughts on what a fighting 1911 should be.

Robinson
10-03-2019, 01:34 PM
If you see this before the auction ends and/or it gets relisted; this might be a good option:

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/833668626

Price seems good and the CGS is a nice pistol. Pretty much the current thoughts on what a fighting 1911 should be.

The folks listing that pistol are great to work with too, I've done business with them several times. I've viewed that particular listing a bunch of times considering a purchase.

banzaijohn
10-04-2019, 07:49 PM
It must be your lucky day because there's two Colt GSPs for sale on m4c:

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?218074-WTS-Colt-Gunsite-1911-Series-70-875-00

and the CCO version

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?218136-WTS-Colt-Gunsite-CCO-1175

Bergeron
10-06-2019, 04:01 PM
If we’re looking for official guidance on the GSP, here’s the word straight from the horse’s mouth, taken from the April Fool of Cooper’s Commentaries, Volume XIII, Number 6, 1993.

I, being a bad sort of customer, would insist upon the relieved magazine well and would also stipulate stippling or checkering. It is interesting to note that there could be some serious variation in configuration and still be “clone-correct”.

Wondering Beard
10-06-2019, 04:57 PM
If we’re looking for official guidance on the GSP, here’s the word straight from the horse’s mouth, taken from the April Fool of Cooper’s Commentaries, Volume XIII, Number 6, 1993.

I, being a bad sort of customer, would insist upon the relieved magazine well and would also stipulate stippling or checkering. It is interesting to note that there could be some serious variation in configuration and still be “clone-correct”.

From the text:
"The weapon was to be completely plain, without any sort of ornament or frill, but completely serviceable, completely reliable, and permanently efficent"

So ... a Glock 17?

;-)

Bergeron
10-06-2019, 05:04 PM
From the text:
"The weapon was to be completely plain, without any sort of ornament or frill, but completely serviceable, completely reliable, and permanently efficent"

So ... a Glock 17?

;-)

As someone whose daily handguns have moved from 1911 to Glock, I’mnot going anywhere near that statement. Besides, I don’t have the storage on my phone to take pictures of each Cooper discussion of Glock.;)