PDA

View Full Version : Can you get a NY-1 8lbs trigger on a gen 5 Glock?

Speederlander
09-25-2019, 08:36 PM
Can you get a NY-1 trigger on the gen 5 Glocks and if so, what is the best way?

JR1572
09-25-2019, 08:47 PM
Can you get a NY-1 trigger on the gen 5 Glocks and if so, what is the best way?

Glock part number 39651 for G5 guns and part number 39324 for the slim guns (42/43/43x/48).

They’re on the parts order form.

Speederlander
09-25-2019, 09:06 PM
Glock part number 39651 for G5 guns and part number 39324 for the slim guns (42/43/43x/48).

They’re on the parts order form.

Perfect, thanks!

L-2
09-25-2019, 09:14 PM
For the OP,
the 39651 NY1 Gen5 trigger spring is relatively new to Glock's parts list. Glock generally doesn't sell these parts to somebody unless they're a Certified Glock Armorer. As the subject part is so new, it'll likely be a few more weeks (maybe even ~8 weeks) until the usual Glock parts suppliers get these in stock, such as:

https://www.glockparts.com
or
https://www.midwestgunworks.com

or any other suppliers which are out there.

JBP55
09-25-2019, 09:21 PM
You could install an OEM Glock Plus Connector.

FreedomFries
09-25-2019, 10:26 PM
For the OP,
the 39651 NY1 Gen5 trigger spring is relatively new to Glock's parts list. Glock generally doesn't sell these parts to somebody unless they're a Certified Glock Armorer. As the subject part is so new, it'll likely be a few more weeks (maybe even ~8 weeks) until the usual Glock parts suppliers get these in stock, such as:

https://www.glockparts.com
or
https://www.midwestgunworks.com

or any other suppliers which are out there.

I have a 39651 spring coming to me in the mail tomorrow. I'm not really much of a Glock user anymore, but I do have some left in my collection. I will try this new return spring in a 19.5 and report back hopefully within the week to compare the NY1 spring equipped Gen 5 with NY1 spring equipped Gen 4. Previously on another thread, I was going to post a report on the NY spring for the slim series, but this always ended up being backordered so it never happened.

This will increase the weight of the trigger, but only at the "wall" unfortunately.

TheNewbie
09-25-2019, 11:42 PM
I have a 39651 spring coming to me in the mail tomorrow. I'm not really much of a Glock user anymore, but I do have some left in my collection. I will try this new return spring in a 19.5 and report back hopefully within the week to compare the NY1 spring equipped Gen 5 with NY1 spring equipped Gen 4. Previously on another thread, I was going to post a report on the NY spring for the slim series, but this always ended up being backordered so it never happened.

This will increase the weight of the trigger, but only at the "wall" unfortunately.

Please let us know how this goes!

Speederlander
09-26-2019, 12:44 AM

I was thinking actually of going NY1 and an OEM minus connector. Just not sure if it yields the same results with the gen 5 glocks as it does with earlier models.

FreedomFries
09-28-2019, 09:09 PM
I installed the 39651 spring in my 19 Gen 5 today. The weight of the trigger pull with the factory setup was 5 lbs 7 oz according to my Lyman gauge. After installing the 39651 spring, the trigger weight measured 8 lbs 1.4 oz. There is increased resistance in the trigger pull during the pretravel phase prior to reaching the "wall." It makes my 19 Gen 5 feel fairly similar to my well worn 17 Gen 4 with the NY1 spring. The 39651 NY spring is not compatible with Gen 1-4 Glocks. Previous generation NY springs are not compatible with Gen 5 Glocks and Glock 45, 19X.

Whirlwind06
09-28-2019, 09:30 PM
So what is the attraction to the NY1? I put one on a Franken glock 19 and didn't care for it. To me it didn't duplicate a revolver DA pull.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

FreedomFries
09-28-2019, 10:17 PM
So what is the attraction to the NY1? I put one on a Franken glock 19 and didn't care for it. To me it didn't duplicate a revolver DA pull.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

For me, it is because I do not like the very light pretravel in Glocks. Some have suggested that a NY trigger spring will make the pull more like a DA revolver or DA semiauto, but I don't think it really accomplishes that because the distance of travel remains short and there is still a pronounced wall at the end where the trigger bar drops down when contacting the connector to release the striker. It does give me more feedback when the trigger is being pulled though.

TheNewbie
09-28-2019, 11:07 PM
Thanks for the update.

So the feel is not much different from a Gen 4 with a NY1?

I felt like the trigger on my G45 was almost too smooth and light.

FreedomFries
09-29-2019, 12:23 AM
Thanks for the update.

It's pretty similar. My 19.5 feels a little mushier than any of my Gen 4s. Not sure this has anything to do with differences in the 7405 spring vs 39651 spring, since my Gen 5 always felt a bit mushy to me even with the standard trigger return spring.

JBP55
09-29-2019, 05:34 PM
Thanks for the update.

I have never seen an OEM Glock that had a trigger too light for me but I am old and have disabilities.

FreedomFries
10-01-2019, 04:11 PM
I forgot to mention that for people who are interested in carrying a Glock (or Glock-like pistol) with a traditional DA type trigger pull, the SW SD9 actually gets a lot closer to a traditional DA type trigger pull than a Glock with a NY spring.

FreedomFries
02-23-2020, 01:24 AM
Just wanted to write an update that I've been using NY1 Gen 5 spring (39651) for a bit and it's been working fine. Same boring Glock reliability. Couldn't give you a round count, not incredibly high as I don't carry a Glock, but since it doesn't really differ much in design from the Gen 1-4 NY1 spring, I doubt it'll fail.

I've also experimented with different connectors in order to find a way to get a Glock to have a nice DA type trigger. I tried the Ghost Angel 3.0 connector with the NY1 spring, and I've been pleasantly surprised by how it feels. As the NY1 trigger spring doesn't pull the trigger bar forward and counteract some of the striker spring force, the pretravel weight is heavier. Also, because the trigger bar starts to engage the trigger bar ledge on the connector sooner, the pretravel feel becomes basically absent. The trigger feels very much like a lightened revolver trigger, averaging 6 lbs 7.2 oz on my Lyman, without any discernible wall. I can't comment yet on the long-term reliability/durability of this connector or combination. I've generally avoided most non-OEM Glock parts. Also, I seriously doubt most people buying 3.0 lbs connectors would even consider owning a NY trigger spring, so this combination is probably not thoroughly tested by anybody. That said, I really like the feel, and I hope it proves to be a safe and reliable combination.

TheNewbie
02-23-2020, 01:56 AM
Just wanted to write an update that I've been using NY1 Gen 5 spring (39651) for a bit and it's been working fine. Same boring Glock reliability. Couldn't give you a round count, not incredibly high as I don't carry a Glock, but since it doesn't really differ much in design from the Gen 1-4 NY1 spring, I doubt it'll fail.

I've also experimented with different connectors in order to find a way to get a Glock to have a nice DA type trigger. I tried the Ghost Angel 3.0 connector with the NY1 spring, and I've been pleasantly surprised by how it feels. As the NY1 trigger spring doesn't pull the trigger bar forward and counteract some of the striker spring force, the pretravel weight is heavier. Also, because the trigger bar starts to engage the trigger bar ledge on the connector sooner, the pretravel feel becomes basically absent. The trigger feels very much like a lightened revolver trigger, averaging 6 lbs 7.2 oz on my Lyman, without any discernible wall. I can't comment yet on the long-term reliability/durability of this connector or combination. I've generally avoided most non-OEM Glock parts. Also, I seriously doubt most people buying 3.0 lbs connectors would even consider owning a NY trigger spring, so this combination is probably not thoroughly tested by anybody. That said, I really like the feel, and I hope it proves to be a safe and reliable combination.

The NY1 trigger does not just increase the trigger pull weight and add some take up/resistance, it also makes the SCD more effective.

What I would like is to have the increased weight and take up with a smooth pull.

Glock makes a Slim NY orange trigger for Glock 42,43,43x, and 48. Has anyone tried it?

JBP55
02-23-2020, 09:26 PM

There are no 3# Glock connectors. That is just hype to sell connectors.

FreedomFries
02-23-2020, 10:22 PM
There are no 3# Glock connectors. That is just hype to sell connectors.

Right, it is marketing. I'm just referring to it as a 3# connector because the manufacturer called it a 3.0 connector. Whether it actually yields this weight of trigger pull with otherwise stock components is debatable. Generally, I'm suspicious of most aftermarket Glock parts, and this is no exception. While I like the pull it yields especially with a NY1 spring, I'm half expecting it to be less than ideal when it comes to longevity or reliability. When the reset tab is tripped on this connector and the trigger bar pops up, the amount of trigger bar that overlaps the connector ledge is quite small, which isn't really confidence inspiring. Personally, I'd prefer an OEM minus (SP00721) connector for the reliability, except that it still retains a significant wall.

JBP55
02-24-2020, 05:30 AM
Right, it is marketing. I'm just referring to it as a 3# connector because the manufacturer called it a 3.0 connector. Whether it actually yields this weight of trigger pull with otherwise stock components is debatable. Generally, I'm suspicious of most aftermarket Glock parts, and this is no exception. While I like the pull it yields especially with a NY1 spring, I'm half expecting it to be less than ideal when it comes to longevity or reliability. When the reset tab is tripped on this connector and the trigger bar pops up, the amount of trigger bar that overlaps the connector ledge is quite small, which isn't really confidence inspiring. Personally, I'd prefer an OEM minus (SP00721) connector for the reliability, except that it still retains a significant wall.

Not even debatable.

JonInWA
02-24-2020, 08:17 AM
FF thanks for taking the time and effort to very succinctly describe your results with your Gen5 spring and connector swaps. There has been very little such discussion here (which is one of the very few forums i trust for this type of thing). In the Sept 2018 Glock Armorers Curse, the Gen5 NY1 was discussed; apparently Glock provided it at the behest of a Canadian LEO in conjunction with their Gen5 order.

The use of the NY1 on Gen4, and now, thanks to F's excellent report, apparently the Gen5 provides a mushier pull than NY1s with previous generation Glocks.

On Gen 3 Glocks, I found that a NY2 actually provided a more revolver-like pull than a NY1, but required a steeper learning curve and considerable time and muscle-memory building to take advantage of. I tried it for a season on my Gen3 G21, and while I was actually somewhat pleased with it, I fairly quickly removed it at the end of that season, as I found my shooting results quickly trailed downward after 20-30 rounds due my trigger finger tiring with it.

Most of my Glocks now just use the OEM coil trigger return spring.

Best, Jon

FreedomFries
02-24-2020, 01:42 PM
Not even debatable.

Some of these new aftermarket connectors significantly change trigger geometry, which is not necessarily a good thing, but come pretty close to their nominal weights. Changes include moving the trigger bar ledge forward to allow more angling, and then changing the location or height of the reset tab to accommodate the changes to the ledge. As I understand it, the Ghost Angel 3.0 connector routinely yields pulls ranging from about 3-3.5 lbs when used with typical Glock parts. I think I tested mine at about 3 lbs 3 oz in a G19.5 with stock springs, but didn't write down my average because I don't plan to use it without the NY1 spring. It's feasible that in a Glock with broken in parts, that adding this connector would yield a trigger in the 3 lbs range.

But generally, the nominal weights for connectors are driven by marketing and range from being somewhat optimistic to totally fantastical.

FF thanks for taking the time and effort to very succinctly describe your results with your Gen5 spring and connector swaps. There has been very little such discussion here (which is one of the very few forums i trust for this type of thing). In the Sept 2018 Glock Armorers Curse, the Gen5 NY1 was discussed; apparently Glock provided it at the behest of a Canadian LEO in conjunction with their Gen5 order.

The use of the NY1 on Gen4, and now, thanks to F's excellent report, apparently the Gen5 provides a mushier pull than NY1s with previous generation Glocks.

On Gen 3 Glocks, I found that a NY2 actually provided a more revolver-like pull than a NY1, but required a steeper learning curve and considerable time and muscle-memory building to take advantage of. I tried it for a season on my Gen3 G21, and while I was actually somewhat pleased with it, I fairly quickly removed it at the end of that season, as I found my shooting results quickly trailed downward after 20-30 rounds due my trigger finger tiring with it.

Most of my Glocks now just use the OEM coil trigger return spring.

Best, Jon

Since it's a sample size of 1, I can't definitively say that all Gen 5 with NY1 feel mushier than previous generations with the NY1 spring. With the regular trigger spring, the pretravel felt spongier than my Gen 4 models as well, so it could just be this particular pistol. The trigger bar may be rubbing in some way that I can't see. The important thing is that the Gen 5 NY1 spring works in the same manner as previous generation NY1 springs. Basically just a plastic spring with a coiled compression spring (except very old NY springs had a metal leaf spring supporting the inside) that pushes up on the trigger bar cruciform. It looks like the elbow of the plastic portion of the spring has been changed to have a rounded contour, probably to increase durability. Doubtful that this change affects anything since the NY1 spring wasn't a particularly delicate part.

TheNewbie
03-02-2020, 09:59 PM
Can you get a “-“ connector for the Gen 5? I know people combined the NY1 and “-“ connector in other gens.

JBP55
03-02-2020, 10:08 PM
Can you get a “-“ connector for the Gen 5? I know people combined the NY1 and “-“ connector in other gens.

Yes,the connectors for a Gen 5 are the same as the earlier models.

TheNewbie
03-02-2020, 10:11 PM
Yes,the connectors for a Gen 5 are the same as the earlier models.

Thanks! I knew the NY triggers were different Gen 1-4 vs Gen 5, but wasn’t sure about the connectors.

FreedomFries
03-18-2020, 02:07 AM
The NY1 trigger does not just increase the trigger pull weight and add some take up/resistance, it also makes the SCD more effective.

What I would like is to have the increased weight and take up with a smooth pull.

Glock makes a Slim NY orange trigger for Glock 42,43,43x, and 48. Has anyone tried it?

I finally got the NY spring for the slim series from MGW because everywhere else was sold out or not listed. It's about 8-8.5 lbs with the OEM minus connector or Ghost Edge connector in my 43. Increases both the pre-travel weight and wall. Pretty similar to an NY1 in a regular size Glock.

TheNewbie
03-18-2020, 10:26 AM
I finally got the NY spring for the slim series from MGW because everywhere else was sold out or not listed. It's about 8-8.5 lbs with the OEM minus connector or Ghost Edge connector in my 43. Increases both the pre-travel weight and wall. Pretty similar to an NY1 in a regular size Glock.

With the normal connector what do you think the weight would be ?

L-2
03-18-2020, 10:34 AM
For Post_27, the "normal" connector for a Glock 43 is a "minus" connector #33564.

TheNewbie
03-18-2020, 12:47 PM
For Post_27, the "normal" connector for a Glock 43 is a "minus" connector #33564.

Thanks!

FreedomFries
03-19-2020, 02:08 AM

With the normal connector what do you think the weight would be ?

For current production G43, I think 33564 "minus" connector is now standard. My G43 is an early model that came with 33215 connector and has a 8 lbs 2 oz trigger out of the box.

I did some trigger pull measurements with a Lyman.
Slim NY spring and a "minus" 33564 connector, the trigger pull averaged 8 lbs 13 oz.
Slim NY spring and Ghost Edge connector, the trigger pull averaged 8 lbs 8 oz.
Slim NY spring and 33215 connector, 11 lbs 6 oz.

I am not a Glock armorer, so I am not sure which NY spring and connector combinations are approved or recommended by Glock. It is possible that the slim NY spring and 33215 connector can be used to approximate the NY2 trigger on double stack Glocks, but you'd have to confirm with Glock or other official source. As I recall, NY springs and Miami connectors don't play well, so there may very well be combinations that do not work reliably with the slim NY spring either.

Det1397
12-15-2023, 08:15 PM
Resurrecting this thread for some updated information on the Gen5 NY trigger springs.

Today at the shop where I work, a NYS Courts recruit came in looking for the gray + trigger for his duty G19 G5. The NYS Courts agency is still running the orange NY 2 trigger springs in their older GLOCKs and ARE looking to retrofit their new recruits Gen5 G19s with the NY springs.

So, I’m in need of an update reference of what’s available for Gen5 pistols…
My most recent parts list shows part #39651 as Trigger Spring - NY 1 (black) Gen5 (Including G19X, G45), so no question there;
My question is: is there an NY 2 (gray) trigger spring available for the Gen5? My 01-2022 Armorer’s Manual shows a picture of Trigger Spring Gen5 with the Standard, 01, 02 and NY Slim triggers. Is the 02 gray and available, and if so, is there a part number?

Thanks to all and Happy Holidays!

MTP
12-15-2023, 08:20 PM
Resurrecting this thread for some updated information on the Gen5 NY trigger springs.

Today at the shop where I work, a NYS Courts recruit came in looking for the gray + trigger for his duty G19 G5. The NYS Courts agency is still running the orange NY 2 trigger springs in their older GLOCKs and ARE looking to retrofit their new recruits Gen5 G19s with the NY springs.

So, I’m in need of an update reference of what’s available for Gen5 pistols…
My most recent parts list shows part #39651 as Trigger Spring - NY 1 (black) Gen5 (Including G19X, G45), so no question there;
my question is: is there an NY 2 (gray) trigger spring available for the Gen5?

Thanks to all and Happy Holidays!

Yes, Trigger Spring, NY 2, Grey, Gen5 (Including G19X, G45) part # 47337
Happy Holidays!

Det1397
01-05-2024, 05:35 PM
As previously stated by me, NYS Courts has been running GLOCK 19 pistols (Gen 3/4) with the orange NY2 triggers, apparently mimicking NYPD (which reportedly has done away with the 12 fiasco…).
The shop I work at ordered a bunch of the gray Gen5 NY2 springs, part number 47337. All well and good, until a boss from their academy contacted us and advised that their armorers also required the pistols be fitted with the 5.5 lb connector, part number 343. I contacted Smyrna and someone in technical support advised that the 343 connector and the gray NY2 would yield the 12 lb trigger. The connectors arrived the other day.

Today I retrofitted eight Blue Label G19 Gen5 MOS pistols with the gray springs and the 343 connectors, removing the original Gen5 standard springs and original DOT connectors. The results were twofold- on three of the eight I could not decock/actuate the trigger. On the other five the trigger pull was extremely heavy. I tried using different combos of the gray springs and 343 connectors on the three guns and nothing worked. Interestingly, we had in the safe a Blue Label G19 Gen4 NY2 (orange spring) sku UG1970202 and although it’s trigger was heavy it felt better than the Gen5s I had retrofitted. Upon closer examination I saw that the Gen4 was running a DOT connector.
After trying the three non-functioning guns with the gray NY2 trigger and the original DOT connector I got positive trigger decock each time.
I contacted the boss at the academy and advised him of the situation. He stated that there was no way that their armorers were going to authorize the use of the DOT connectors and that they would look into the situation.

Has anyone else experienced a similar situation? Unfortunately I did not have my orange armorer slide plate to check engagement but I suspect the gray NY2 trigger spring/343 connector combo is resulting in too much trigger bar (cruciform)/ striker lug engagement in some pistols as opposed to others based on tolerances…

Any input would be greatly appreciated!

MTP
01-05-2024, 05:48 PM
In Gen3 guns NY2 springs were not supposed to be paired with '+' connectors. Doing that would lead to the same issue you are experiencing.

Due to the differences in internal geometry, Im not surprised that a 343 connector in a NY2 Gen5 results in similar issues.

Det1397
01-06-2024, 06:13 PM
I had the chance to re-examine, with my GLOCK armorer slide cover plate, the three guns that were experiencing the failure to decock/FTF with the NY2 spring and the 373 (5.5 lb) connector.
What I could see was that the engagement (between the trigger bar cruciform and the striker lug) was well in excess of the 2/3 minimum. I’d say the engagement was at 100% if not more. With the trigger fulled pressed, engagement was still appreciable.
And, as I noted, when the DOT connector was fitted, the triggers decocked normally with acceptable engagement.

TheNewbie
01-07-2024, 02:20 AM
I had the chance to re-examine, with my GLOCK armorer slide cover plate, the three guns that were experiencing the failure to decock/FTF with the NY2 spring and the 373 (5.5 lb) connector.
What I could see was that the engagement (between the trigger bar cruciform and the striker lug) was well in excess of the 2/3 minimum. I’d say the engagement was at 100% if not more. With the trigger fulled pressed, engagement was still appreciable.
And, as I noted, when the DOT connector was fitted, the triggers decocked normally with acceptable engagement.

What was the trigger pull like on the Gen 5 with the "Grey trigger"? I am guessing pretty heavy.

Was it any better or worse than previous generations with the NY2 triggers?

I think the NY1 is the sweet spot for Glock triggers.

FreedomFries
01-31-2024, 01:00 AM
What was the trigger pull like on the Gen 5 with the "Grey trigger"? I am guessing pretty heavy.

Was it any better or worse than previous generations with the NY2 triggers?

I think the NY1 is the sweet spot for Glock triggers.

G45, NY2 spring (47337), dot connector (SP07965). Lyman gauge, average of 9 lbs, 5.9 oz measured towards the middle of the trigger shoe just low enough to depress the safety tab. 8 lbs 9 oz with NY2 (47337), minus connector (SP00721). I actually preferred the heavier combination using the dot connector.

I did not try the unmarked "5.5#" connector because of the report from Det1397. The NY2 does exert more upward force on the trigger bar than the NY1 spring. I also tried a Ghost Angel 3.0 aftermarket connector with the NY2 spring on 2x G45 and 2x G19.5 and was unable to get the striker to drop on one of the G19.5 copies unless I held the trigger down and pull the slide forcefully upwards.

I tend to prefer heavy triggers as I have carried double action pistols for a long time, including the M9 with its 14 lbs trigger pull and the safety on. I am satisfied overall with the trigger characteristics of the NY2/dot combination in my G45 for AIWB carry, although I can understand why it is not well liked. If your goal is IDPA or other games, then you will absolutely hate this.