PDA

View Full Version : Oakland Police(CA) Off duty officer who accidentally shots himself, faces charges

bshnt2015
09-24-2019, 11:33 AM
Not a good week for the law enforcement community when you're off duty, you shoot yourself, and now facing criminal charges. Was it the holster/gear we use, personal choices/decisions, maturity, or WTH?

http://www.ktvu.com/news/ktvu-local-news/off-duty-oakland-officer-who-accidentally-shot-himself-facing-charges

BehindBlueI's
09-24-2019, 11:39 AM
Well, from the article:

That's because police said they found a glass pipe with residue inside and Ziploc baggies in a closet in Nash's home.

And Oakland police said they found a straw with a trace amount of methamphetamine in his work lockers.

I'm thinking maybe meth had something to do with it.

blues
09-24-2019, 11:48 AM
Well, from the article:

Your talents are being wasted as a patrol sergeant. ;)

Sharkbite
09-24-2019, 12:08 PM
He forgot Cooper's 5th handgun safety rule:

Keep your finger off the Meth pipe whether or not you wear a badge....

Play Stupid Games Win Stupid Prizes.

Duces Tecum
09-24-2019, 01:17 PM
And Oakland police said they found a straw with a trace amount of methamphetamine in his work lockers.

It's California. Probably a plastic straw. You know how we feel about those.

Rex G
09-24-2019, 01:29 PM
Your talents are being wasted as a patrol sergeant. ;)

I like your sentiment, but disagree. The nearest thing to a G-d, on this earth, is a really good patrol sergeant, and I am saying this in a positive way. A first-responding supervisor simply must be the best of the best, an all-‘round performer, to ensure a truly safe squad of officers, and a safe community.

Some say that the first 48 hours is important, for a successful investigation. I would say that the first 48 seconds, and the first 48 minutes, in that order, are even more important, than the next 47 years hours and 12 seconds.

blues
09-24-2019, 01:54 PM
I like your sentiment, but disagree. The nearest thing to a G-d, on this earth, is a really good patrol sergeant, and I am saying this in a positive way. A first-responding supervisor simply must be the best of the best, an all-‘round performer, to ensure a truly safe squad of officers, and a safe community.

Some say that the first 48 hours is important, for a successful investigation. I would say that the first 48 seconds, and the first 48 minutes, in that order, are even more important, than the next 47 years hours and 12 seconds.

Well jeez, Rex, if you're gonna come in here and get all serious...

...can't we even break BBI's stones in peace anymore?

;)

(Good to have you back, brother.)

Stephanie B
09-24-2019, 02:19 PM
Well, from the article:

That's because police said they found a glass pipe with residue inside and Ziploc baggies in a closet in Nash's home.

He was just holding it for a friend.....

blues
09-24-2019, 02:27 PM

That's what she said...

http://giphygifs.s3.amazonaws.com/media/SUeUCn53naadO/giphy.gif

luckyman
09-24-2019, 02:27 PM

I’m going with “he just got his personal locker and the evidence locker mixed up”.

Although there is absolutely no excuse for the plastic straw in CA.

Stephanie B
09-24-2019, 02:30 PM
I’m going with “he just got his personal locker and the evidence locker mixed up”.

So he got in trouble more for the plastic straw than for the meth?

Seriously, though, no random drug tests?

ralph
09-24-2019, 02:41 PM
What’s worse than a meth head cop? Two of them. Seriously, this guy should have the word “Idiot” tattooed on his forehead. I also agree with Steph..no random’s? Jeeze, before I retired from being a pipefitter,I got hit with a random test at least 3-4 times a year...

blues
09-24-2019, 02:45 PM
What’s worse than a meth head cop? Two of them. Seriously, this guy should have the word “Idiot” tattooed on his forehead. I also agree with Steph..no random’s? Jeeze, before I retired from being a pipefitter,I got hit with a random test at least 3-4 times a year...

I was in court testifying when I was called for a random. They actually tried to get me to go back to the office. I told 'em to take it up with the judge. If the judge releases me, I'll go.

They waited...

Damned pissants.

txdpd
09-24-2019, 03:01 PM

You have to do a count down first. Forgot to log evidence in 5 4 3 2 1.

You know you screwed up bad when you shoot yourself in a public place and the police get enough evidence that they can convince a judge they need a warrant for your home, and in that time frame you don’t get rid of incriminating evidence.

Last night we had this meth head hooker run her car up a guide wire on a telephone pole. She was fine and left on her own. Her buddies show up looking for her, so I tell them that she ran from us, threw her dope in a field, (of course we didn’t find it) and they needed to tell us her name. They didn’t know nuthin bout nuthin. We cleared that at 8:30. Drive by at 9 and they’re out in that field looking. Drive by again at 11:45 on the way to the station and there’s 6-7 of them in that field looking with their cell phone lights. Meth heads they just can’t let it go.

BehindBlueI's
09-24-2019, 04:21 PM
So he got in trouble more for the plastic straw than for the meth?

Seriously, though, no random drug tests?

I've only been "randomly selected" every 3-4 years.

andre3k
09-24-2019, 05:24 PM
The best Sergeant I ever had got hooked on meth after he left his wife for a stripper. He ended up getting fired after he stopped coming to work because bad people were always following him. About a year later, I knew he was a true meth head when he was shot six times by another agency and lived.

Moral of the story: Don't snort crystal meth off a strippers ass.

Coyotesfan97
09-24-2019, 05:31 PM
I've only been "randomly selected" every 3-4 years.

Our “random selection” percentage is very small. There was a stretch where guys in my unit were getting “randomly selected” every time they returned from out of the country vacations. It was weird:confused: One guy got called in by IA and the medical center didn’t have his name on their list. Oops attention to details.

It is/funny talking to current and ex IA Sergeants who all insist it’s random. Then we had a wellness class and the instructor must not have gotten the memo because she said they could add names to the list as needed.

ETA That’s not my locker!

Lon
09-24-2019, 07:10 PM
That’s methed up.

How am I the first one to post that?

ralph
09-24-2019, 07:41 PM
Our “random selection” percentage is very small. There was a stretch where guys in my unit were getting “randomly selected” every time they returned from out of the country vacations. It was weird:confused: One guy got called in by IA and the medical center didn’t have his name on their list. Oops attention to details.

It is/funny talking to current and ex IA Sergeants who all insist it’s random. Then we had a wellness class and the instructor must not have gotten the memo because she said they could add names to the list as needed.

ETA That’s not my locker!

Yeah, I’m sure it’s all random....I remember one power plant I worked at, I got called in for a “random “ 3 times in 6 weeks..I told the job steward after the last test, I don’t know who you’re covering for, but I’m tired of doing it, and you need to find someone else.. The message must have gotten back...I never got called again the rest of the time I was there, about 5 months...

Tensaw
09-25-2019, 05:39 AM
It was, I guess, in the late 80's, early 90's, that we were told that crack cocaine was going to end civilization as we knew it. Ahhh, the good old days when it was "just" crack cocaine. I recall those days with fondness... Now we have meth... It's (apparently) one hell of a molecule...

UNM1136
09-26-2019, 04:02 AM
It was, I guess, in the late 80's, early 90's, that we were told that crack cocaine was going to end civilization as we knew it. Ahhh, the good old days when it was "just" crack cocaine. I recall those days with fondness... Now we have meth... It's (apparently) one hell of a molecule...

This summer we have a local issue with meth being cut with bath salts....The most frequent result is Rodeo Time!

pat

wvincent
09-26-2019, 09:10 AM
This summer we have a local issue with meth being cut with bath salts....The most frequent result is Rodeo Time!

pat

Bath salts, damn!! Make sure nobody tries to eat off your face like Florida Man did a few years ago.

Caballoflaco
09-26-2019, 09:22 AM

pat

On the plus side, at least they have fewer and weaker teeth when they do get all salted up.

willie
09-26-2019, 01:13 PM
It is reported that police officers have a much higher rate of substance abuse than the general population. Is alcoholism more acceptable than some of the other addiction maladies?

Zincwarrior
09-26-2019, 01:24 PM
Moral of the story: Don't snort crystal meth off a strippers ass.

Thats worthy of a Tshirt or bumper sticker. I am not sure which.

Zincwarrior
09-26-2019, 01:29 PM

Nazis were way ahead of you. They gave it out to regular troops as a daily stimulant.
https://allthatsinteresting.com/pervitin-nazi-drugs

UNM1136
09-26-2019, 01:57 PM
It is reported that police officers have a much higher rate of substance abuse than the general population. Is alcoholism more acceptable than some of the other addiction maladies?

Yes. Just had a new hire canned for showing up to work a little over the legal limit. The new hire was a retired LT from the largest department in the state. Had he claimed a work related illness he would have saved his job and received treatment. Alcohol is legal. Weed is a grey area, and everything else is instant termination. But in some progressive jurisdictions the really hard stuff would get treatment without wasting a career. I dunno. Really don't want to take the ride to find out.

pat