PDA

View Full Version : Brass landing backwards in ejection port?

Mitchell, Esq.
04-15-2012, 02:17 PM
I had an empty brass land horizontal & backwards in the ejection port today.
I've never had that happen before.

It looked case extracted, flipped 180 degrees and came down with the primer end of the brass was forward, falling straight down just as the slide closed.

It was the only malfunction in about 300+ rounds today with multiple people firing the gun using S&B ammo. (as luck would have it, it happened to me...) It happened at about 150-200 rounds, then went another 3 boxes of S&B w/o problem.

I just replaced the spring in the extractor assembly before shooting, and the extraction is much stronger and consistent than last time I shot it. Weapon is a Glock 19.

Is a "backwards, horizontal stove pipe" something many people are seeing, and if so what's the prevailing theory on the reasons for it?

CMG
04-15-2012, 02:40 PM
Not an armorer but I found this thread on a different forum pretty interesting:

http://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=100613

Even has some pictures of your 180 degree stovepipe.

JV_
04-15-2012, 02:44 PM
My gen4 19s were plagued by the 180 stovepipe. New extractors and ejectors did not solve the problem.

Mitchell, Esq.
04-15-2012, 02:52 PM
My gen4 19s were plagued by the 180 stovepipe. New extractors and ejectors did not solve the problem.

How many were you getting, and how frequent did you get them?

tmoore912
04-30-2012, 12:13 PM
Pretty interesting video of a comparison between a 4th and 3rd Gen Glock 19. He has high speed video of the Gen 4 having weak ejection and shows a 180 stovepipe.

Start watching around 3 minutes for the ejection problems. I know it doesn't solve your problem, but it is interesting to see it happening in slow mo.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wkHEdNx0Mk4

Mitchell, Esq.
04-30-2012, 01:31 PM
Pretty interesting video of a comparison between a 4th and 3rd Gen Glock 19. He has high speed video of the Gen 4 having week ejection and shows a 180 stovepipe.

Start watching around 3 minutes for the ejection problems. I know it doesn't solve your problem, but it is interesting to see it happening in slow mo.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wkHEdNx0Mk4

That stovepipe was a lot deeper in the gun than the one I had.

Right now my theory is that a brass from 1 or 2 stalls to the left sent me a present that just landed in the right place at the right time. I've gotten enough brass down my shirt that it's possible.

Not likely...but possible.

TR675
05-01-2012, 06:02 PM
My M&P 9 did this...except it actually chambered the round base first. Well, partly anyway. Got a neat picture of that.

Wayne Dobbs
05-01-2012, 06:57 PM
Check this well written piece from Randy Lee of Apex Tactical:

http://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=92447

I've seen it happen quite a few times during training ops with a group of Gen 3 Glock 19s at the school house where I work. I think the bottom line is that Glock extraction has always been suspect, even if the older guns did run well. I've found that in the short run, a White Sound HRED and a good extractor (Lone Wolf) will solve lots of the problems that are being noted.

DocGKR
05-03-2012, 07:50 PM
My late 2011 G19 I just use for training has exhibited this three times now in the last 3000 rounds...

PaulL
05-03-2012, 10:45 PM
I have a coworker who had the same problem. There were crazy stovepipes galore. I watched numerous rounds bounce around on top of the slide and even eject across the shooter's LEFT shoulder. Process of elimination left only the slide as the problem. Glock claimed no changes were ever made to the Gen3, but the pistol came back from the factory working fine. Another coworker bought 2 Gen3 17s at the same time. Both guns showed similar wacky ejection. That person was told by Glock that there was a recall, but it just wasn't public at this time. So basically only a recall if you know enough to ask about it.

I no longer trust or recommend new Glock pistols to anyone. That's a big leap for me as a former diehard Glock shooter. Hopefully they'll fix the problems and get back to the old boring reliability. If your gun isn't ejecting up and right consistently, send it in for the secret squirrel not-technically-a-recall.

Mitchell, Esq.
05-04-2012, 07:33 AM
I no longer trust or recommend new Glock pistols to anyone. That's a big leap for me as a former diehard Glock shooter. Hopefully they'll fix the problems and get back to the old boring reliability. If your gun isn't ejecting up and right consistently, send it in for the secret squirrel not-technically-a-recall.

That's a sad state of affairs...

Dropkick
05-04-2012, 08:22 AM
Tagged.
As this happen with my Glock 19 Gen 3 in less then 75 rounds out of the box.
Cleaned it out, and lubed it up, so we'll see if it happens again.

PaulL
05-04-2012, 09:26 AM
That's a sad state of affairs...

It really is. I'm disappointed that they let these guns leave the factory like that, disappointed that they deny there's a problem, and disappointed that they screwed up a good thing. When the company gets it wrong on the pistol that made them famous in the first place...well, that's just bad all around. What burns me up more than anything is I look like a fool for recommending the things when they malfunction right out of the box. I really do hope they clear things up, though.

Every time a Glock malfunctions, a supermodel gets a wrinkle. :eek:

Wayne Dobbs
05-08-2012, 08:52 AM
Every time a Glock malfunctions, a supermodel gets a wrinkle. :eek:

I've heard that every time a Glock malfunctions; every time you call a magazine a clip and every time you call a round of ammo a bullet, God kills a Lab puppy!

Glock has a big problem on their hands and I'm not optimistic they'll handle it well. Randy Lee's explanation of the problem is well done and the fix is well thought out. They could do a lot to handle the problem by simply going back to the basic and original extractor and quality extractor spring. The new ejector is an OK add on, but the bottom line is that all this erratic ejection is not about the ejector, it's about an extractor that's losing the case during the extraction step and/or presenting it to the ejector in wildly varying attitudes.

Unfortunately, they will focus more on saving 25 cents per unit than they will making sure that they're truly shipping a gun that works. It's my understanding they are shipping ~35K guns per month, so as long as folks are lined up like that, why should they care?