PDA

View Full Version : Guncrafter 9mm 1911s?

breakingtime91
09-22-2019, 06:05 PM
I really like the no name patter pistol from gun crafter but can't find much on their 9mm versions. Anyone have experiences or opinions?

HCM
09-22-2019, 07:41 PM
I’ve had an adjustable sight 5” no name 9mm for a few years.

Great gun, bought it used on the recommmendation of a local high end 1911 dealer. Stupid accurate and awesome trigger pull. Reliable with decent ammo and mags. I’m running mostly older Wilson’s.

Some may not like the 20 LPI checkering and I needs to swap out the gold bead front for a FO because / old eyes.

My understanding is GC are former Wilson employees who left on good terms, as opposed to the Nighthawk crew, so GC pistols seem to use a lot of Wilson parts.

Sample of one but NickA and JM Campbell have shot it and can give you their impressions.

newyork
09-22-2019, 07:42 PM
I really like the no name patter pistol from gun crafter but can't find much on their 9mm versions. Anyone have experiences or opinions?

Should be lots of info on 1911addicts.com. I believe GC charges $300-350 for 9mm

breakingtime91
09-22-2019, 07:43 PM
Should be lots of info on 1911addicts.com. I believe GC charges $300-350 for 9mm

how are they compared to wilson?

newyork
09-22-2019, 07:50 PM
I think over there on that site they are quietly held in higher regard. I had one I only put 1000rss through. In 45 though. It was built like a tank with a great trigger. They seem to be very consistent with very little negative press but I haven’t read up in a long time.

NickA
09-22-2019, 08:17 PM
I don't have any real experience with 1911s (high end, 9mm or otherwise [emoji16] )but yeah, HCM's is holy shit fun to shoot. And it certainly seemed well made - everything tight but not excessively so, clean lines on the checkering, etc. Just a really nice gun.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

JM Campbell
09-22-2019, 09:35 PM
I don't have any real experience with 1911s (high end, 9mm or otherwise [emoji16] )but yeah, HCM's is holy shit fun to shoot. And it certainly seemed well made - everything tight but not excessively so, clean lines on the checkering, etc. Just a really nice gun.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

He’s not aloud to bring it to the range anymore, he might find a well worn M&P9 and some rocks in his gun sleeve.

It shoots very flat and the trigger on that gun is smooth as f***. I also really like the safety on it as well. It has me lusting after a sti 2011 more, especially if it shoots 90% as good as the guncrafter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gomerpyle
09-22-2019, 09:35 PM
Take it for what it's worth-1911 pistolsmith Ned Christiansen holds GC in very high regard. He wrote a review for the American in 45, for SWAT Mag, but I cannot find it....

JHC
09-23-2019, 06:31 AM

I'm certainly impressed by the testimonials above. Have you checked out Alchemy? They're the latest shiny object to catch my attention.

breakingtime91
09-23-2019, 06:40 AM
I'm certainly impressed by the testimonials above. Have you checked out Alchemy? They're the latest shiny object to catch my attention.

why do this to me..

JHC
09-23-2019, 06:46 AM
why do this to me..

Similar price range (shrug)

As I have accused Kevin B, "always and enabler, never a disabler!"

breakingtime91
09-23-2019, 06:50 AM
Similar price range (shrug)

As I have accused Kevin B, "always and enabler, never a disabler!"

lol. I dig the traditional lines.

newyork
09-23-2019, 07:06 AM
Alchemy gets a huge positive response over there too. Think they just added .38 super. They have 3 models.

Robinson
09-23-2019, 07:13 AM
The Alchemy guns look real nice. I think they are planning to add 9mm as an option (or already have).

Evolution Armory is another one worth a look. One of the guys there used to build Special Combat Governments at the Colt Custom Shop. They will build complete guns and also take on smaller requests.

SecondsCount
09-23-2019, 07:20 AM
how are they compared to wilson?

Wilson has the name recognition so they will always be the leader in that regard. As the shooter, you probably won't be able to tell a difference.

Why not buy another Wilson?

Wingate's Hairbrush
09-23-2019, 08:51 AM
how are they compared to wilson?As good. Both boutique builders have their faithful, both build superb 1911s, neither outpaces the other on the bottom lines of fit, function, accuracy, reliability, durability, shootability and quality of materials used for a semi-custom.

Really comes down to which one speaks to you more and/or offers the specific set-up you're looking for.

Can't go wrong either way.

Wingate's Hairbrush
09-23-2019, 09:11 AM
...Have you checked out Alchemy? They're the latest shiny object to catch my attention.Likewise. Been following Rob on the forums a long time and his skills and reputation are impeccable. Also seems like an all-around good guy.

Alchemy Custom Weaponry's incorporation into Cabot seems to have produced an ideal between state-of-the-art machining capabilities with old-school master pistolsmithing, allowing Rob to offer custom-level attention to the fine points of the build at semi-custom prices.

I find that really compelling.

Guinnessman
09-23-2019, 11:59 AM

Five years ago, when I was shopping for my Wilson CQB, I had a long talk about 1911’s with George at Gunslingers with regard to other semi-Custom 1911 manufacturers. He spoke highly of Nighthawk, and he highly recommended Guncrafter, saying that he felt they were best bang for the buck at the time. I still ended up with a Wilson, but damn those No-names are just sexy.

Buy one so you can report back to all of us.:p

theJanitor
09-24-2019, 08:32 PM
I wish they were more attractive. At this price point, a pistol should do everything well, including looking good

Jim Watson
09-24-2019, 08:45 PM
I think they ARE attractive.
But then I think a lot of the boutique and custom guns on the market are overstyled.
Mr Yost, et al, would perish of boredom customizing a gun for me.

breakingtime91
09-24-2019, 08:45 PM
I wish they were more attractive. At this price point, a pistol should do everything well, including looking good

Alchemy's line look great.

Trukinjp13
09-24-2019, 09:17 PM
Alchemy's line look great.

I agree a ridiculous amount. They are simply beautiful

usmc_k9_vet
09-25-2019, 02:11 AM

You can spec out a Guncrafter to look extremely attractive. They have their No Name line, sure, but they also have blued guns, fancy camo guns, engraved guns.. the No Name is just a leaping off point.

I have owned a few Guncrafter Industries 1911s. In fact, the first semi-custom 1911 I bought new was a No Name CCO in .45. I was absolutely blown away when I handled that gun for the first time. Absolute bank vault lock up and it was just built insanely well. One of the best trigger presses I've felt too. That's one thing I have noticed about GI - their triggers on all of their guns that I've handled feel almost identical. I would place them above Wilson these days, as I think Wilson has grown a bit too much for our good (not theirs.. I'm sure they are making boatloads of money). I would also put NH right up there with GI these days and I would really like an Alchemy gun now, although I've yet to handle one. If you want to step up from there I think Volkmann Precision is a step into the custom game and then you get into Chambers Custom territory as well.

Anyway back to the GIs - I also love their 15 lpi checkering. I have had a No Name CCO lightweight in 9mm that has something like 15,000 rounds through it. Really great little carry gun with the thin alumagrips. It has been extremely reliable and it is nice and light and thin for carry.

I hope this helps!

usmc_k9_vet
09-25-2019, 02:15 AM
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190925/980110a0c666f444c705f4f77f6c1bed.jpg

Dirty, well-used carry gun

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190925/a320b2b04cb781a58989e4181d100cd9.jpg

This thread was worthless without a few pics

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190925/eaa2bb37e57cda0e21ce104a9a8c9f96.jpg

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190925/84afced012fff34298eef9ee20e9641f.jpg

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190925/3871899deff70d24649f798d0ee5006f.jpg

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190925/153d6292777e4ce41c1bf0006d81a60d.jpg

JHC
09-25-2019, 07:18 AM
Anyway back to the GIs - I also love their 15 lpi checkering.

I hope this helps!

Wuuuuuuut? What is that like? I've had two TRPs and loved 20 lpi. I get how it could be perceived as uncomfortable by someone. Is 15 more so or is it getting so large its less so?

Wingate's Hairbrush
09-25-2019, 11:57 AM
Wuuuuuuut? What is that like? I've had two TRPs and loved 20 lpi. I get how it could be perceived as uncomfortable by someone. Is 15 more so or is it getting so large its less so?GI's 15LPI has a 90 degree bevel; you would probably find it comparably grippy to your TRPs, but less bitey. My experience, anyway. I've encountered a lot of folk who find Springfield's machined 20LPI too sharp; never heard a complaint about GI's 15LPI.

Wingate's Hairbrush
09-25-2019, 12:01 PM
I wish they were more attractive. At this price point, a pistol should do everything well, including looking goodWhat a pistol can do well is objective; how it looks is subjective. ;)

The No Names are specifically spare and classically styled; what don't you like, and what's your idea of an attractive 1911?

theJanitor
09-25-2019, 01:16 PM
what don't you like, and what's your idea of an attractive 1911?

I know the GC are performers, and Ned's recommendation speaks volumes. But since I spoke about MY preference, here goes. I pulled a couple pictures from the 1911addicts GC picture thread. There are some hideous stuff there, but these are two fairly representative samples of GC.

In this first picture, I don't like the 15LPI checkering. The pattern looks lazy, like machining 20lpi was too hard work. I don't like the corner, where the radius of the frontstrap meets the frame under the grips. I don't like the shape of the roundbutt and how the MSH seems to protrude heavily and therefore won't match the rear of the frame. The rear sight is too chunky. The spacing of the rear cocking serrations are too wide, and adding one or two more, toward the rear of the slide would help. I like front cocking serrations if the ones in the rear are angled. I like a more squared profile of the front sight. And if the pistol uses a traditional recoil spring arrangement, the plug should be knurled. I don't like the Wilson Combat style of serrating the top of the slide, where they lower the height of the slide between the sights.

The second picture shows the FRAG treatment that I think is hideous (sorry, Ned), even though effective. It also now sports front cocking serrations which are too sparse. It also shows the wilson style serrated slide top.

My idea of attractive is something along the line of this. Alchemy's Prime models follw an aesthetic very similar and I think are the most attractive catalog pistols being offered right now

Wingate's Hairbrush
09-25-2019, 01:28 PM
...But since I spoke about MY preference, here goes...Excellent explanation, thank you. I like GC's styling, and many of the modern-style builders; I also seriously love the true classic lines, too. A lot of the wild "futuristic" cuts and designs that are en vogue over the last few years drove me nuts at first, but I'm starting to shrug and kind of like them, too. "How's it shoot?" seems to be eclipsing most of the rest.. ;)

theJanitor
09-25-2019, 01:34 PM
I also forgot to mention something about the second pic. Stuff just doesn't match. Wide serrations on the side of the slide, and fine serrations on the top? And pair it with Frag on the frontstrap? I'm almost expecting scallops on the MSH

Lots of custom pistols (especially the Agency types) seem to fall victim to the Elton John syndrome. You know, when you wear ALL your favorite clothes, at the SAME time...

Trukinjp13
09-25-2019, 02:14 PM
I also forgot to mention something about the second pic. Stuff just doesn't match. Wide serrations on the side of the slide, and fine serrations on the top? And pair it with Frag on the frontstrap? I'm almost expecting scallops on the MSH

Lots of custom pistols (especially the Agency types) seem to fall victim to the Elton John syndrome. You know, when you wear ALL your favorite clothes, at the SAME time...

What this guy said.

Now this. This is simply stunning
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190925/5ed4b49d41319c5352159e0243e0bcf5.jpg

SecondsCount
09-25-2019, 02:25 PM
What this guy said.

Now this. This is simply stunning
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190925/5ed4b49d41319c5352159e0243e0bcf5.jpg

You guys would do well with a Les Baer

theJanitor
09-25-2019, 03:12 PM
You guys would do well with a Les Baer

Except from the accuracy and tight fit, Lots of Les' spec is less than stellar. Mine never sees the light of day

SecondsCount
09-25-2019, 03:14 PM
Except from the accuracy and tight fit, Lots of Les' spec is less than stellar. Mine never sees the light of day

Details please :cool:

theJanitor
09-25-2019, 03:29 PM
I'm sure we have a thread regarding the Baers

The barrel fit is wrong, especially for one with his knowledge. his commanche length guns are of the wrong internal dimension. his new frontstrap is too thick, much like production Springers. he specs flat bottom grips on guns without magwells. his triggers are mediocre, and butter lasts longer than his bluing. Otherwise, I love 5" 45acp Baers;)

SecondsCount
09-25-2019, 03:36 PM
I'm sure we have a thread regarding the Baers

The barrel fit is wrong, especially for one with his knowledge. his commanche length guns are of the wrong internal dimension. his new frontstrap is too thick, much like production Springers. he specs flat bottom grips on guns without magwells. his triggers are mediocre, and butter lasts longer than his bluing. Otherwise, I love 5" 45acp Baers;)

I will agree that the barrel abutment on the Comanche is probably wrong but I have never seen a Baer that didn't run well.

theJanitor
09-25-2019, 03:44 PM
I will agree that the barrel abutment on the Comanche is probably wrong but I have never seen a Baer that didn't run well.

My brother and I have consecutive serial number Comanches. We bought them new in 2007. They are obviously gov't frames with a shortened dustcover. They never ran right, with all kinds of ammo and mags, and well past the 500rd "break-in". Les said that it was right, and that we didn't know how to shoot a 1911. I went to gunsmith customs right after that, as a result

Although I've never owned a GC, I know people I trust that have, and they have serious clout with recommendations from guys like Ned. So I'd be confident in a guncrafter

farscott
09-25-2019, 03:50 PM

I have had a pile of Comanche and Stingers that did not run until John Harrison machined the frame to meet the Colt Commander standard. The Baer Comanche frame does not provide enough slide travel for reliability.

I also agree with theJanitor about the aesthetics of the GC guns. I also feel the same about pistols from Ned Christiansen and Chuck Rogers. Both makers are technically excellent, whose guns run, but the final product is too different from that classic Colt look that, to me, is 1911. I appreciate what they are, but neither maker's products are for me. I much prefer the old-school SACS guns and am fortunate enough to have a older Custom Carry and a Harrison-modified SACS Pro.

TC215
09-25-2019, 05:12 PM

I’ve never owned a Baer that ran, period.

Here’s at thread from another forum that has a few good posts from knowledgeable people about Bakers (most of the thread is a mess, though.

From Rob at Alchemy (who used to work for Baer):

There's a lot "wrong" with many of the stock Baer barrel fits. Will they work for quite a while? Yes. Are they done right most of the time? No. Does it matter to his fan base? Again...no.

Most likely what led to the ultimate failure was a stress riser caused by using a flat file to fit the lower lugs to the slide stop pin. The flat file puts a line into the radius and...the radius is only contacting the slide stop where it sits on the lugs and at the tips. A lot of stress is put on the tips and the line filed gets the crack started. Using properly sized lug cutters and fitting techniques along with the right link size goes a long way toward preventing this situation. One also needs to verify proper location of the VIS. Hood length was also probably a bit long. Just some of my thoughts.

https://www.1911addicts.com/threads/baer-down.36128/

SecondsCount
09-25-2019, 08:23 PM
Sorry you guys had issues.

I can still stand by what I said about them running. I have a Concept VIII that went through an AFHF class without a hiccup, have several friends with Thunder Ranch, Premier II, and other 5 inch guns, and the Thunder Ranch was the favorite for guys on several handgun sites for a while. Another guy's Stinger ran well but he sent it to Harrison to have the abutment moved back so it would slingshot.

It's been a while since I carried or paid much attention to 1911s so I guess times have changed.